Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    kissfan1kissfan1 Member Posts: 283
    Thank you for your sober thought.

I agree that anyone posting incorrect invalid information about something as important as safety should be censored by the host.

If the host has the time please please view the following sites:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001SUVs.html see only actual RATING of the AZTEK

5 Star & 3 Star............Offset testing to follow in FEB 2001

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

Actual Quote: Vehicle tested:

1997 Pontiac Trans Sport

SE

A quick visit to these two sites........by any unbiased interested party will put this RED HERRING safety issue to rest.

I SINCERELY APPOLOGIZE for MONOPOLIZING this board..........But this SAFETY ISSUE is for lack of a better term............A LIFE AND DEATH ISSUE.

Thank you for your time..........and I trust the time I've put in studying this issue is of value to OWNERS and prespective buyers.

Thank you.

• Options
    lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    Not much more to say but none of you are any sort of expert on safety or design safety. Neither am I. What kind of pissing match is going on here?
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    The Transport IS the Montana!

When the current Montana was introduced in 1997, it was not called the "Montana"... it was called the "Transport" (with the sporty model called the "Transport Montana".

In 1998 they dropped the "Transport" name and simply called the vehicle the "Montana".

SO... the vehicle tested by the Insurance Institute WAS INDEED the Pontiac Montana... stablemate to the Aztek.

YOU are the one providing inaccurate information. I AM THE ONE who ALWAYS states the two cars share a platform and not identical and that only Aztek test results will be legit.

End of discussion. I fail to see how everybody BUT you can read my simple words and make perfect sense of them but you interpret them in a completely bizzare fashion. I'm sorry your Wife was so upset over the Montana's crash photos. But, she SHOULD be... EXTREMELY concerned... since the two have the same platform. And also, you consistently fail to mention (since you AGAIN mentioned the Passat).... I said I would rather have my kids in the back seat of the Passat then the Aztek and YOU keep telling people the Aztek is a "5-star" and the passat is "Only a 4-star".

WELL tell the truth here... A child in the rear seat of a Passat is much safer than in the rear of an Aztek... because the REAR seat side crash test of the Aztek produced only a 3-STAR rating vs. the Passat's 4-STAR. AND, as I said in my last post, that 4-star doesn't take the head protecting Air curtain into account.

Meanwhile, you post the quote "I honesty could not recommend the PASSAT as being as safe as the AZTEK for Front side impact" and then say I AM giving false misleading statements. I have NEVER given false misleading information here and If I did, I would be the first to apologize. Again, read CAREFULLY what I post... you are the ONLY one here who has read these and continues to do whatever you can to promote the Aztek based on YOUR beliefs.

Enough with the Passat talk and STICK to the AZTEK... for the Up-teenth time
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Give it a break! Jmatero agrees that only a test of the Aztek will be a determing factor. His points that the Aztek is built on the same platform as a abhorently designed (safety-wise) vehicle (yes, Jmatero is right-on, the 97'Transport is the Montana...this was the year it no longer was the dustbuster) is worthy of some consideration by potential buyers. And where do you get off suggesting that the hosts strike any posts that may be posting inaccurate info????!!!! If this were true, perhaps none of us, at various times (this includes YOU!) would have complete posts on this site. I've had various on-line discussions w/Drew and I can't believe he would agree w/your suggestion. I venture to guess Steve wouldn't either. I apologize in advance to the hosts for speaking for them.

Incredulous in Seattle
    Stephen
  • Options
    topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    You own a BMW and a Aztek...??
    Then you state there is really no comparison between a BMW and a Aztek...how right you are sire....!!! You are also correct BMW is one of the safest vehicles made in the world...
    I just hope if you do have a family, and they get into accident ... they are in your BMW..!!!

Safety:

BMW >>>RULES

AZTEK>>>Unknown...??

FAMILY::

IF you have little ones NEVER take chances..there is no $$$$$ in the world that can replace a child...EVEN Kiss fan admits in post #1177
    "Safety was not my prime concern" THOSE WORDS WILL NEVER BE SPOKEN BY ME..........YES MY KID IS WORTH MORE THAN THE $$$$ I SAVE BUYING A BMW OR TOYOTA VS ANY GM MINIVAN.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Man.. this forum is active.

Tim Hortons is giving away 20 Azteks in their semi annual "roll up the rim to win" promo. Anyone living in Ontario take note!!
  • Options
    gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Does the winner or the loser get stuck with the Aztek?
  • Options
    From what I'm reading you try to smash your vehicles? Let's try a little physics lesson. Don't matter what you are driving (within reason and sanity) The vehicle with the more weight and energy will inflict more damage to the vehicle with less weight or energy. So the best vehicle is the one that doesn't get smashed. Because no matter what (unless you drive a 50 ton semi) theres always somebody going faster or has a heavier vehicle. This whole thread is inane and childish. But the worst thread is the Aztek = Montana. That is simply not true. If so, then Pinto = LTD because they both have the same door handles. Heck this whole issue got beat around a couple weeks ago and somebody had to dig it up again with the same results. None.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Winner... gets an Aztek

Loser.... gets two Azteks
  • Options
    xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Man, this is a roller coaster ride of a board! I haven't enjoyed myself so much since my first wife left me. It's amazing that a rolling dumpster can cause so much hostility. Okay, I'm ready for round two...shake hands and come out fighting.
  • Options
    The AZTEK is as safe as the following vehicles:

Toyota Camry

Toyota Corolla

Mazda 626

Nissan Altima

Volkswagen Beetle

Has the same 3 Star Rating as these vehicles. (Rear Impact Side) This rating is clearly a solid rating.

5 Star Rating for Front Side Impact (Tied for the BEST in the Industry)

This is the only RATING information currently available.

The 1997 Pontiac Transport......the vehicle tested has the following:

4 Star Front Offset

4 Star Passenger Offset

In 1997 there was only one vehicle that tested better . The 1997 Ford WinStar.

Please verify http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1997Vans.html

Please verify the above and note the 1997 Pontiac Transport is not the 2001 AZTEK.

As I said earlier. The AZTEK tests as well as the vehicles above all selling millions and transporting millions of children........millions of miles.

I am sorry the BMW is $60K Canadian vs $30K Canadian for the AZTEK. I simply cannot afford that vehicle......and neither can 90% of the population.

I anxiously await the NHTSA Offset testing

Today........all empirical evidence indicate the AZTEK to be an extremely safe vehicle:

5 STAR FRONT SIDE (No higher test) 5% chance of injury

3 STAR Side Test 11%-20% chance of injury..........this represents results better then 70% of all vehicles tested.

Thank you Topgun for your vigilence. And I trust you are visting the sites I have been highlighting.

Signed your AZTEK pal

• Options
    topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    COME ON !!! It's not the way we drive>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How about the people that run red light's or the folks here in Florida ::: some who were born before W.W.I, and still drive, who cannot see over the dashboard.. We had a driver about 77 that pulled right in front of a cement truck about six months ago ..after investigations (she did not make it) the police concluded she was leggaly blind....

The point is, IF you have a family and you buy a new automobile , SAFETY SHOULD BE ONE OF THE PRIMARY CONCERNS..BOTTOM LINE...

Therefore a vehilce that shares many characteristics with a MINIVAN that placed DEAD last in a offset chrash, should be eliminated from your choices of vehicles..this would be the responsible thing to do...!!!AZTEK

Funny thing is maybe the Aztek will do good in the upcoming offset crash test; HOWEVER, as pointed out by fellow posters, the Aztek's safety has not really been determined. Therefore with being a parent comes responsibility to buy the best and most safe vehicle you can afford..Me If all I could afford was a $20,000. SUV, I would purchase a used 4Runner..one of the top 3 SUV's in a crash test....

It's sad if the choice of vehicle you bought determined if you lived or died in a major accident...and YOU MADE THE WRONG CHOICE>>>
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I'd hate to cast aspersions on kissfan1 for 'buying a vehicle w/out his family's safety concerns" which is what topgn and others have alluded to. But, yes, safety is important but as someone else said here, it matters little if you drive a 2,000Ib car and you get hit head-on by a 2-ton truck; chances are the small car will be the worse for it.

Last week, I had the pleasure to visit a pontiac dealership to see, up close and personal, the Pontiac Aztek. The dealership has 6 on the lot and they looked like they had been there a while. A few had chrome wheels put on (I believe to increase their sellability, my guess), but none had the AWD.

I must confess that upon closer examination, the front of the Aztek doesn't look as bad as the rear. The latter is butt-ugly, sorry kissfan1... I examined the vehicle inside out and even took a test drive on it. The car drove quite good, although I felt the interior materials were rather cheap-looking. The leather seat and trim one I test-drove had the on-star and a little gadget that flashes the odometer or something like that onto the wind screen of the car... i thought it was real cool...

I didn't like the back seats, too narrow and not comfy enough. The front seats didn't quite have good lumbar support despite the 8-way power settings. The multi-purpose center console was missing bcos the dealership had to remove them since some people were stealing them away from the lot 9it must be good, otherwise why would anyone take the time to steal them).

Finally, the saleswoman told me they had a $5000 discount the previous week, and that if I was *really* interested she could find out if the manager would give me a similar deal. BTW, the one's on the lost stickered for b/w $26,000 and $32,000, with many add-ons...

My general take on this vehicle: not bad at all, if one can get over the looks... I think that I can live with the front grill, but absolutely hate the rear end of this vehicle. I din't like the fact that the interior materials were cheap-looking. The ride was good (repeating myself here) and I didn't feel the engine was sluggish at all.

I still won't buy it because of the looks, and because I feel that there are many alternative vehicles that are worth $20-30K which would serve my needs as well, if not better...

to put a shameless plug here... I bought the Toyota Sequoia more for its safety (side +curtain airbags, traction and stability control, ABS, etc) and (potential) reliability and comfort. My family of 4 (wife and 2 kids) deserve the very best I can afford for them, and their safety is numero uno in my books. Now, I feel more comfortable and secure with my family's safety in this huge truck...It may not be for the Aztek lovers, but it certainly is for me and my family.. and now back to the aztek !

Aztek owners are brave souls. That they have been forced to defend their choice is unfortunate, but even GM admits that they need to make the design a little less controversial. maybe the '02 version will do the trick, but I ain't holding my breadth.

Good vehicle (the aztek), neat and cool gadgets, but you gotta get over the looks to buy one... just my opinion
  • Options
    It is fun........isn't it.

I must thank jmatero.......Even though we disagree

He has forced me to educate myself about a part of the vehicle that I simple trusted the manufacter on.

In reality.......I am lucky that the current RESULTS prove the AZTEK to be safe in two categories. Now I await the results of the offset testing.

I also thank Topgun.......Because he has clearly illustrated to me that safety......as a component of the purchase needs to be more thoughly researched.

But to DATE GM has built a very safe vehicle that clearly to date may be recommended as a safe family vehicle.

My friends........detractors and advocates have taught me more about how to look at my vehicle.

But I will not be hood winked by those trying to manipulate safety tests to prove a point substantiating their bias ; )

signed your AZTEK pal
  • Options
    Hell yes.......I'm an advocate but my GOD I ain't blind.

When I bought.......My wife loved the vehicle looks. I loved the front syling. But my GOD the back is UGLY. But you know what I like the front.

Hmmmm......You know when I first looked at the interior controls I thoght they looked cheap......But then I shopped and saw vehicle like the PT Cruiser , Honda CRV (horribly utilitarian) and the Escape......Found those to be real chincy.

Please know.......I'm not "MY CAR RIGHT OR WRONG".........I will admit faults ; )

Signed your AZTEK pal
  • Options
    We really cannot say at this point that the AZTEK is a bad choice. I would own an x.5 or Acura MDX........but In Canada these cars are priced out of sight.

For the money the AZTEK delivers the same level of safety as Camry/ 626/ Corolla. For the current level of testing.

I honestly am waiting the front offset test............Thx for your input.

signed your AZTEK pal
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, the reason why the IIHS has not tested the '01 Montana is because it is structurally unchanged from the '97 Pontiac Transport. This is also the same reason why the Venture and Silhouette were not tested. They're all structurally identical to each other. FYI also, the NHTSA does not test vehicles if significant structural changes/restraint systems have not been made. The results are simply carried over from the previous model year(s).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    I'm a strong believer in migrating to Synthetic Oils.

Any thoughts on migrating to Synthetic......And at what Kilometer / miles should or could you change over to Synthetic??

I have 10,000 Km (6,000 miles)

Just curious??

your AZTEK pal
  • Options
    I guarantee that if this vehicle does not perform well through it's life........I would abandon GM as a hot potato.

I owned a 1987 Astro.......that I needed for size and towing. I was always a Toyota fan and I was going to buy the Sienna.....Until I ran into the Aztek.

By the way.......Matero makes leaps. All my statements are based on the only available tests on the AZTEK (Sorry impirical evidence is all that counts......that is technical in my mind)

5 Star Side Frontal http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001SUVs.html

3 Star Side Rear

Offsets to come.........We await those results.

regards

We simply cannot accept 1997 Pontiac Transport as being an equivalent test.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    The Tim Horton's contest runs throughout Canada, not just Ontario. I won a donut yesterday (whoopee).

They must have some relationship with Pontiac, since in the last contest they gave away 20 Montanas. If you won one of those you probably could have worked some kind of deal with the local dealer to swap it for something else if you didn't want a minivan. Not sure if that could happen this time around.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I want to inform all the readers here that Kiss Fan has, AGAIN, given false and misleading information regarding the Aztec's Crash safety.

He stated above:

"The 1997 Pontiac Transport...... the vehicle tested has the following:
    4 Star Front Offset
    4 Star Passenger Offset
    In 1997 there was only one vehicle that tested better . The 1997 Ford Win Star."

This is NOT Accurate information!!!!!!

The 1997 Pontiac Transport (Montana) tested by the IIHS received a "POOR" rating for Safety... the ONLY domestic mini van tested by them TO DATE to receive such a low rating. Even the Dodge Caravan received a better "MARGINAL" rating.

The NHSTA, however, did give the current Montana a 4-star rating but THEY DO NOT USE OFF-SET FRONTAL CRASH TESTS as KissFan posted. They use a much simpler frontal test into a flat wall. The off-set tests used by NCAP and IIHS are much better at representing what actually happens in many crashes... the Driver attempts to avoid the collision and the point of contact is NOT dead center, but rather, off to the side.

Another interesting bit of information: KissFan Attacked me a few posts back over the following: A current Aztek owner, after reading the Aztek's Side-impact rating at NHTSA.gov (A link I provided) expressed his concern over transporting his children in his Aztek and suggested he will now trade vehicles (a BMW) with his wife so his kids would be safer. KissFan then attacked me here claiming it was my "false information" that caused this man to make this "irrational" decision.

This is why I ask that all readers take ALL POSTS with a grain of salt and use their own good Judgement... KissFan has made multiple statements suggesting he "Couldn't recommend the Passat over the Aztek for front side impact protection" because the Aztek got 5 stars while the Passat "ONLY GOT 4-STARS".

YET... when an Aztek OWNER expresses his concern over transporting his kids in the back of his Aztek, KissFan suggests this is not necessary as the Aztek "IS SAFE". Meanwhile, what KissFan fails to take into account is that the Aztek owner is making this decision this based on the 3-STAR REAR-SIDE IMPACT RATING the Aztek received. This man is thinking of his PASSENGERS... his CHILDREN... who in most cases ride in the BACK SEATS of vehicles.

So, as others here have stated, it is clear that in KissFan's eyes, the Aztek can do no wrong and others reading these posts need to take that into account. He is biased. In other words, he wouldn't reccommend a new Passat over an Aztek because the Passat "ONLY GOT 4-STARS", yet he WILL recommend the Aztek for transporting children even though it only got 3-STARS. This makes no sense.

To be fair, what KissFan needs to say to this man is "I cannot recommend the Pontiac Aztec over the BMW 5 series for transporting children because the Aztek ONLY GOT 3 STARS while the BMW got 5-stars"

I doubt we'll ever read this.

Everyone, please check your facts before posting information. Many here are looking for accurate information to help them make a decision. If I have ever made inaccurate information, I would be the first to correct it.
  • Options
    I'm not real sure what 1/2 the people in this forum are doing here still. Same posts over and over. Clearly if you want to vent, this is the place to release frustration. It's the only explanation for some of you.

oac3 : Although you generally are not an Aztek fan, it's good to see at least you took one for a drive. The majority of critics on this board base everything they say on what they read and occasional Aztek sighting.

ab348 : If I won the Aztek I would likely trade it. While it's probably a pretty good vehicle, I would rather have a Rendezvous or one of those new Trailblazers coming in the spring.
  • Options
    Truly sorry your friend and neibor passed away in a GM vehicle.

I'm very tired of your consistent misrepresentations due to an obvious bias.

The 1997 Transport is not a valid test.

I will grant you the NHTSA is a frontal crash scenario and not the offset. But until tresting is truly done on the AZTEK there only remain two test complete on the vehicle:

I repeat:

Frontal Side Impact; 5 STAR (Best in the Industry)

Frontal Rear Impact: 3 STAR (this is the same rating as the Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 626........as I have said these vehicles have tranported millions of adults and children safely)

Am I arguing that the AZTEK is the safest vehicle: NO I AM NOT

Is it my VEHICLE right or wrong: NO SIR IT ISN'T

Is the AZTEK the safest vehicle tested: NO IT ISN'T

Is the BMW a safer vehicle: YES IT IS

IS the BMW double the price (in Canada): YES IT IS

DOES the AZTEK deliver a safe product: In the TWO CATEGORIES TESTED. YES IT DOES

Must we wait for the Frontal tests: YES WE DO

CAn we compare to the 2001 MONTANA: YES WE CAN

CAN WE COMPARE to the 1997 Transport: Clearly you cannot

CAN YOU MAKE FALSE STATEMENTS REGARDING RELATIVE SAFETY;

NO YOU CANNOT

Regards
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    kissfan, it appears to me that you are mis-reading the posts sent by others. They said the 1997 Montana has the same frame as the new model so it IS relevant in a crash comparison. Personally, I'm not UP on all of the crash tests on vehicles but I appreciate everyones view and digest the information for my own needs. I feel that jmatero, zircon, oac3, gonzo, topgn and others give good constructive information.

Anyway, I too, like Dindak, wouldn't buy an Aztek but I like hearing what people have to say about it. As I said many many posts ago, my experience with GM was a nightmare which scarred me forever. My parents both have GM products (Buicks) and have had reasonable realibility.

Crash tests and safety are VERY important to me. My German sedan has eight airbags. My Jeep on the otherhand has not faired too well in crash tests. That's why my next SUV will have side airbags and better crash results, etc.

Happy Motoring no matter what you drive! Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    I compared the montana and Aztek side by side. Open the hoods and look at the body construction.
    The Azttek is obviously a montana Chassis and Body with a different nose bolted on. Look how the fenders attach. You can see the inner fender slopes downward matching the van profile. They just stuck higher profile fenders to make the Aztek look less van like.
    I would think the Aztek would do better in some tests without the huge holes in the side for the sliding doors.

Just hope the testers don't conduct an aesthetics test. However, perhaps all that ribbed plastic will dissipate crash energy.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    typically runs 3-4 years at a fast track, the Aztek made it in 1 year. This would preclude any significant structural redesign from the Montana as the time frame would not allow it.
  • Options
    I totally agree.......Matero, Topgun , Gonzo have elevated the level of this conversation where we are discussing the relative safety merits of the AZTEK based upon available data.

Honestly,, Without Matero's illuminating post and without the number of WEB SITES he provided I would not have tore into this issue.

That is what a board like this is for. And I thank Matero for bringing something as important as safety testing to my attention.

Am I ashamed that I did not know about the safety of my own vehicle..........DAM right I am.

I.........am lucky that the AZTEK got a 5 Star Frontal Side Rating. The 3 Star Rating for Frontal rear is acceptable (same category as Camry/ Corolla/626)

Honestly........In an ideal world I should seek out the test results prior to buying. I did not.

GONZO.......yes I agree the 2001 Montana is a far comparison. The only test on the 2001 Montana have the following results

FRONTAL 4 Star (11-20 % chance serious injury)

FRONTAL Passenger 3 Star (21-35% chance of injury)

SIDE FRONTAL 5 Star (5% or less chance of injury)

SIDE REAR 4 Star (6-10% chance of injury)

see for your self http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001Vans.html

see AZTEK test results http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001SUVs.html

As far as I'm concerned this safety issue is closed.

Regards

• Options
    I got to see the Montana and the Aztek parked right next to eachother at a dealer in Connecticut MONTHS ago and reported my test drive experience (a pretty good experience) here way-back-when.

I mentioned then that when the hoods were open, the cars were identical... with the exception of the front fenders and bumper, the body the fenders were screwed to were obviously identical. Even the engine mounts and the front bumper mounts were all the same. The only obvious difference was up by the wipers where a different trim part was used at the base of the windshield. Even where the engine/tranny "cradle" was attached was identical. It also should be noted that the front suspension and brake components are all the same. Also, when you take into consideration what actually happened in the Off-set crash of the Montana (the actual structure of the vehicle failed) AND that the Aztek was brought to market injust shy of 12 months (little time for structural/platform changes) it's hard to see how the Aztek could perform much differently. But, we will have to wait for the off-sets to be fair here. As for the sliding door issue, this is a common misunderstanding. Many people have said that they feel minivans are less "sound" from a structural standpoint because of the sliding door. This is not true. In cars today with framed windows, the doors actually (when closed) are a important part of the structure and help increase its rigidity. As an example, when you jack your car up to change a tire, you might find that when you open your door, you can't close it again until the car is lowered. In minivans, the b and c pillars along with the roof are strengthened considerably and can actually be stronger than the same vehicle with hinged doors.

The Aztek side impact results are a prime example. The Montana (with sliding doors) got a 4-star rear side impact rating while the Aztek (regular doors) got only a 3-star.
  • Options
    Montana out performed Aztek on side impact. All the more reason that one cannot slide one vehicles test to another vehicle. A very minor change in design could yield significantly different test results.

On the lighter side....... With these large number of posts concerning safety we can all certainly agree the AZTEK is no "pinto like" death trap.

We all cannot drive BMW's Lexus.

The testing that is in to date indicates the AZTEK to be a well built safe vehicle. As safe as the LEXUS Qx 4 in one category..........and as safe as the Toyota Camry/Corolla/626 in the second category.

There are two other categories to be tested.......which we await.

The IIHS testing is inconclusive regarding the AZTEK.......and hopefully they will test the vehicle.

If you are shopping between an AZTEK and BMW.......and safety is your number 1 concern. Then extend yourself and by all means purchase the BMW.

But remember if you purchase the AZTEK you are gettin Infinity type safety for front side and Camry like safety for rear side. That is pretty good vale for the money!

Regards

your AZTEK pal
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    At least none of our vehicles have this problem

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirp28_20010228.htm

• Options
    juancho1juancho1 Member Posts: 42
    I would just like to say that I really enjoy my wife's Aztek. As much as I am
    concerned about its long term reliability and safety, it's a fun rig to drive. I like it
    much better than the Toyota Sienna that we traded in. The gadgets are what sold me. This
    vehicle has some very unique features like the sliding cargo tray in back, the cooler/center
    console the headphones and separate radio controls for the kids. This feature
    in particular has been a life saver. I was really getting sick of listening to Brittany Spears,
    N'Sync and Backstreet Boys. I also love the HUD (Heads up display). My mom's old Altima
    had a HUD and thought it was the coolest thing. A lot of people
    on this board say the car is overpriced. I guess if you use MSRP as a comparison than
    the price is a little steep. But you should be able to get an Aztek for
    $2,000 below invoice without too much trouble. That's roughly $26,000 for a fully equipped
    AWD Aztek GT. I think that's very reasonable when compared to other SUV's or minivans.
    I have to admit though, I still really like the Xterra. This is the SUV I wanted my wife
    to get. If only it had leather and heated seats, (two things on my wife's must
    have list)then my wife would probably be driving one right now.
    One thing that really bothers my wife ansd I about owning the Aztek is the absolute
    disdane some people have for it. It's OK to not like the vehicle. It is not ok
    to write ugly all over it while my wife is in the doctors office with our baby. Moreover, is it really
    necessary to sneer and yell profanities as we drive by? I am amazed at how rude people can
    be. Over a car no less. If you do not care for the Aztek that's fine, just keep it to
    yourself.

Finally, I have two questions for Kissfan. First, Seeing as how you are from Canada shouldn't
    You be Rushfan? I far more talented band in my opinion. Secondly, what in the heck is Plado leather?
    I can't seem to get a straight answer. Does Plado leather mean the same thing as faux leather or is it
    A type of real leather?
  • Options
    Does Edmunds have a board to debate the relative merits of KISS vs RUSH????

Lol.......Rush are a very talented trio and I enjoy this music.. Growing up my sister pounded me with Beatle music which I really loved. The early Beatles "She Luvs YA" "Help" "Back in USSR"..........Luved that music. When I was introduced to Kiss my buddy came over with the LP's in their plan jackets.......He said ya got to listen to this stuff......a band called KISS.

We through it on (I had no preconcieved notions......looks / theatrics).......From first listen I thought they sounded like the Beatles on steroids. Luved their music and became a huge fan......then was ribbed about liking a stranging looking band in Silver and Black.

Well years later......I see a car called the AZTEK. Sat in it luved it.......that it was cooler then the PT Cruiser.......Thought it would sell like crazy.....I had no preconcieved notions.

Now I get ribbed for driving a Silver & Black AZTEK.......lol......while listening to KISS music. (in my suit going for a sales call......selling OC-48's)

so there you go............

signed your AZTEK pal

Question ; is a Kiss concert safer then a Rush concert??
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    juancho1, someone actually wrote "ugly" on your car? Did they spray paint your Aztek or did they just write in the dust? (which also scratches the paint) I'm shocked that someone would do that and even yell profanties. Some people are just lacking class.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    waymoresblueswaymoresblues Member Posts: 54
    I can't believe the nerve of people voicing their opinion to a stranger......you don't have a "club the seals" bumper sticker on it do you?

Here in Louisville KY, the only responses I've had have been positive....I'm not saying EVERYBODY likes it, just that the ones that don't are polite enough not to say anything...

Kissfan's gettin' old - he forgot to tell us what
    Play-do Leather is ( maybe named for the kids dough?)
  • Options
    Rush was my favorite band in high school. Man I miss them!
  • Options
    dcsupporter1dcsupporter1 Member Posts: 25
    I am sorry to hear about what happened to you wife's Aztek.

I personally am starting to really like the Aztek, and even if I did not like it, I would not be so rude as to write on the vehicle and shout obscenities.

I do NOT like the VW beetle, but I do NOT swear or make snide remarks, or even vandalize the VW Beetles that I see on the road. I believe people have a right to like whatever they want. Just because one person doesn't like something, there is no need to vandalize or shout obscenities at the owners.

After all, just because someone doesn't like a certain type of car, that doesn't mean no one else likes that type of car as well.

Mark156 is right. Some people just don't have any class!
  • Options
    juancho1juancho1 Member Posts: 42
    Sorry I didn't respond to peoples questions earlier. We just had a 7.0 earthquake up here
    in Seattle and things are a mess. Traffic is horrible. Everyone is heading home.
    There are some reports of injuries, but amazingly no deaths. Let's pray for
    the best.
    To answer some of the questions stemming from my last post, the perpetrator
    wrote ugly in the dust on my wife car. Needless to say she went to the car
    wash. As for the profanities, a group of skateboard punks started spouting profanities at
    my wife and one even flung his skateboard into the wheel rim.
    On a completely different note, is it just me or do all of you drive a little more
    speedy when the Who, Rush or KISS, (that's for you Kissfan) comes on the radio? AC/DC
    should also be in that list.

Kissfan,
    Is an OC-48 a type of aircraft? Also, you never answered my question about
    plado leather.
  • Options
    dcsupporter1dcsupporter1 Member Posts: 25
    He flung his skateboard into the wheel rim?

Now that was really uncalled for. Those punks need to learn how to treat other people's property with respect. As for the swearing, those punks should learn that just because someone drives a vehicle that they may not like, there is absolutely NO reason for the profanity. They must learn to respect other people's decisions.

His skateboard didn't damage anything did it?

Regards,
    Keith
  • Options
    I do not trust a lot of the "information" posted here. I cannot speak for GM. But a lot of it is wrong. The Aztek Platform is a derivative of the Montana/Venture/Silhouette. Remember the word derivative. It is not the same. You cannot draw ANY scientific conclusions if any factors are changed. The Aztek has passed standards applicable for manufacture. End of story. Can we go on now?

By the way, synthetic oils are better, but the bigger question is what will replace the current additives in use today. The EPA is looking at eliminating certain additive packages because they can affect the function of the catalytic convertor. Some motor oils are as high as 30% additives. Synthetics do not garuantee longer engine life or longer duration between oil changes. But one thing you do not want to do is use a higher weight oil. 5W/30 or 10W/30 will work just fine. 10W/40 or higher can cause damage.
  • Options
    Now Plado Leather.......I have no clue??

Now onto music that I listen to in the AZTEK...... ACDC (Juancho.....cool very cool).......KISS.....Who......Metallica (enter the Sandman)......NUGENT (Great White Buffalo, Cat Scratch).......Vivaldi (Four Seasons).......Beatle (Red Album....Best of).......Styx (best of.....come sail away)......Rob Zombie ; ) (for the young at heart).......Doors (LA Woman...Road house)........These are the tunes that I love in the AZTEK!!

I luv the AZTEK feature that adjust the sound to any ambient road noise. Although it is a dead quiet ride. I luv that feature. Luv the fade out lighting.......and never having to turn on a headlight.

But really.........Great Stereo......those ten speakers rock.

OC 48: Fiber Optic transmission network. I'm in Telecom Sales.

DINDAK: Bought two coffees today.....didn't win another AZTEK!! My daughter insisted on a hot chocolate. She wants to win a Yellow one.

signed your AZTEK pal
  • Options
    Have you changed over to Synthetic?? If so at what Mileage did you change?

your AZTEK pal

PS: I'm dropping the safety issue. As I said the onlyt true impirical tests are the two tests done by the NHTSA.

But you must admit that Mr. Matero started a spirited debate that forced me to educate myself about the safety and he gave me the tools to satisy myself that with current data the AZTEK is indeed safe. It was also interesting to witness that in one of the two components tested the AZTEK actually scored higher then a vehicle that my brother in law drives. (cannot say the vehicles name......someone will get mad)
  • Options
    infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    i was one of the first to test drive this vehicle here in wyoming back in july . the wife wanted a minivan and i definately did not. so we thought it might be a good compromise. we definately got "looks" from people as we were driving. i was somewhat impressed. the price is what kept us away tho. the rear is funky. the local dealer had about 10 in front for the longest time. now i see they are all in the back. too bad. maybe when the redisign comes out we will look again. we got an alero instead. the concept is great, but the execution wasn't played out right.
  • Options
    Steve and Drew: Wow 77 new posts!
    See what happens when you back off a bit? Things got heated, issues were debated and everyone learned a bit and cooled off. That makes for interesting reading.
    If ol' Meridith was here she's have deleted about 70 of those 77 new posts and Edmunds would be nice and boring.

Thank you for your restraint.

(Wish the Aztek designers had some restraint too!- had to say it)
  • Options
    The Aztek was developed off the Montana
    minivan platform, but shares only 22 percent
    of its parts with the van. Among them is the
    3.4-liter OHV V-6 and four-speed automatic transmission. The engine's 185 peak
    horsepower and 210 pound-feet give the Aztek ample power, letting it handle hills
    and highways with decent aplomb. Its 9.2-second 0-60-mph time outpaces the
    Mitsubishi Montero Sport by 1.5 seconds, edges out the Jeep Cherokee Sport by
    0.2 second, and equals the Isuzu Rodeo.

Your AZTEK pal

Gonzo......buddy!! LOL.......It's a luv it or hate it design!! Learned a lot!
  • Options
    Haven't switched to synthetic but I do use it in an other car (a turbocharged vehicle). Your Aztek has an oil life meter incorporated in the cluster. This meter uses a mathematical formula using run time, miles, temperature and a few other factors. All of those factors plus a few more being calculated by the PCM to determine the condition of the oil. It doesn't do any chemical or optical tests on the oil itself. In other words, it figures out what ya did and how good the oil still is. Now you may be asking "what's that got to do with the grade of oil" Well, oil and it's ability to lubricate is based upon how contaminated it is. Synthetics do a better job of resisting chemical changes based upon thermal cycles and outside contaminates. As oil "ages" it "picks up" contaminates from the blow by and thermal cycles. Moisture and dust being the real evils. The best thing to do is to use the meter thats in the cluster, a quality filter, avoid no name discount oils (is a motor worth saving a 50 cents a quart?) and keeping the oil level correct. Synthetics would make sense before going on a long trip just for the odd chance you won't change it for 5 to 6 thousand miles.

I probably shouldn't go here but there is a great deal of confusion about the term "platform". There is no platform on this vehicle, A platform is not a part of any vehicle. A platform is the ability of a manufacturer to build different styles of vehicles by using similar tooling. Please do not confuse "platform" with "cradle". The cradle is the sub frame that the power train is mounted to and in many cases many suspension components. When GM, Ford, etc, say they are reducing the amount of platforms the will will use, this doesn't mean they are reducing the amount vehicle types they build, just reducing the amount of specific tooling they use. Every manufacturer dreams of the day that they can build the highest number of variables into a platform. They just buy one set of tools, change a few dimensions, and build something that's different. That's what GM has done with the Montana,Venture,Silhouette,Aztek and Rendezvous. Chrysler has done the same thing most notably with the K-Car which begat dozens of derivatives. Tooling and engineering costs are extremely high for powertrain and suspension components. Sheet metal isn't as bad. The best way to bring costs down is to spread it over more vehicles. If you look at things this way you understand why you cannot use data from "platform brothers" to formulate results of some tests. Barrier test results are more on the body (sheet metal, dashboard, restraint system and mass) than they are on platform. The platform is more concerned with brakes, powertrain, electronics, hvac and suspension.
  • Options
    I still have one question regarding oil.

I'm about to embark on my 3 Thousand mile trip to Florida from Toronto. I will be running the vehicle straight for 8-12 hours over two days.

I'm scheduled for an oil change just before leaving . I have 6,000 miles. Is it to early to change to synthetic?? The service advisor at GM says I should switch over at 12,000 miles??

Opinions......or Guidance??

Your AZTEK pal

Note: my last note supports your statement regarding Platforms. The source of that info is listed below for those interested in reading the entire article:

http://www.motortrend.com/august00/pontiacaztek/2.html

• Options
    Make the guy at the dealership happy. Leave regular oil in until 12k.
  • Options
    See "Can't we all just get along" really does come true.

Lexus' website recommends waiting until the first oil change is scheduled to change over to synthetic. -- An engine needs some friction to break in properly.
    (I have to admit it's difficult for me to be giving longetivity tips for an Aztek)
  • Options
    Just playing around on the NHTSA site that Matero introduced me to.

Take a look at these:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/mmy.cfm

Particularly the one where the tire could disconnect from the car????? Hmmmmmm
  • Options
    zirconzircon Member Posts: 62
    Back to the grind boys... if we keep this up, everyone will move over to the Buick Century site for
    excitment. Personally, I enjoy reading the jabs, so let's try not being too nice to each other...they might censor us.