Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    waymoresblueswaymoresblues Member Posts: 54
    Seems fine to me but I have noticed TINY chips in the hood - probably from rocks kicking up on the highway.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Aztek scores a "Marginal" in the IIHS offset crash test. Watch Dateline NBC tonight for the full coverage.

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0114.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Good to see you post. Thoughts go out to all in the New York and Washington areas and their friends and familys.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    ...just trying to get my mind off of it. I'm actually stranded at work with no way to get home. But it's better than being dead, and that I'm thankful for. But the thought of those folks, and firefighters and police, that lost their lives when the towers collapsed is making everyone in the office sick to their stomach.

Someone needs to be taught a lesson...
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    My heart and prayers go out to you and all in the NYC and D.C. areas! After the sadness, I start to feel anger. I'm just frustrated at not being able to direct it or focus it in any particular direction! I can't begin to imagine what you just went through!

Stephen
  • Options
    ccaudillccaudill Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody that owns an Aztek have problems with wind noise? Mine is severe! Cheryl
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Try moving your roof rack to different positions or remove it. Racks are common noise makers on SUVs & Vans.
  • Options
    kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    Drew - thanks for posting about the IIHS offset test results. As I expected, the Aztek did better than the Montana. I expected this because of structural differences between the two vehicles, plainly apparent on my web page:

http://www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/safety.htm

It was also interesting to see the Aztek scored better than the vehicle it replaced in our family, a 1998 Blazer we have since sold. It also scored the same overall rating as the 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer, which was the other vehicle we considered purchasing.

As pointed out on my Aztek safety page, IIHS does not make mention of how rare offset driver-side frontal crashes are -- about 10% of two-vehicle crashes. A whopping 48% of inter-vehicle crashes are full frontal, where for example an Aztek has a major advantage in a crash with a 800-lb lighter Honda CR-V. Perhaps CR-V owners can find some solace in the CR-V's 4/5 frontal NHTSA stars rating (vs the Aztek's 3/4) but only if both vehicles are rammed into a concrete barrier. If they meet each other, Aztek's superior mass would have a significant effect and advantage. In fact according to www.crashtest.com , occupants of a lighter car are EIGHT TIMES more likely to be killed in a frontal collision than their counterparts in the other car, if twice as heavy. Incidentally the CR-V has the same overall 'M' IIHS offset rating as the Aztek.

I find it discomforting that IIHS does not provide any actual load magnitude numbers sustained by test dummies, such as those provided by the NHTSA site in its full frontal and side tests. One can decide for themself from actual values such as femur loads in NHTSA tests, but readers are completely beholden to the judgment of IIHS testers who may arbitrarily assign 'G' or 'M' without having to show any substantiating data.

Thanks also for the Dateline NBC tip, but I stopped watching and believing Dateline after NBC was found to be using model rocket engines to ignite a Chevy pickup truck for their famous "sidesaddle tank" expose'.

• Options
    You're welcome. I'll link the page of the test to the additional resouces box on the left hand column of this screen. Load numbers and dummy displacement figures are available, as are intrusion figures. They're right on the same page, further down. You can compare them to the other vehicles since they're placed (in good to worse order, I think) on a couple of charts. FWIW, Dateline NBC only covers these tests; they don't have any say in it. Regarding the offset crashes, I think it was also found that even though they statistically account for a lower percentage of accidents, they do result in the highest fatalities.

Here's your link :-)
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/grey_midsuv.htm

I hope this helps!

Drew
    Host

P.S. I did find it interesting that the Rendezvous did better since both vehicles seem to be so similar. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Drew - Thanks again for the info. I find it a lot more useful to compare numbers than stars and letter icons. For example, I've always had an issue with the NHTSA star rating system, since it ignores effects of relative vehicle weights. People frequently cross-shop in different weight classes and the only way to do that using NHTSA data is to look at the numbers - Head Injury Count (HIC), chest g's, etc.

As for offset crash fatalities, I'd be interested in the link to your reference data/article if you have it, about them being the highest. I would have though side impacts are the most deadly due to the fact there is virtually no crush space in such accidents. The only factor likely to make offset crashes more deadly than side impacts would be the additional crash energy being dissipated in an offset frontal crash vs. side impact. Side impacts are another area where our family has enjoyed a safety upgrade in changing from a 98 Blazer to our Aztek, at least for front occupants, probably due to this being our first vehicle with side airbags.

As for what is deadliest, I'm still convinced that probability matters. Lightning is deadly too, but so unlikely to hit me I do not fret about it even on stormy days (although I do take precautions about being outside!). But electrical hazards in our house are much more likely and can be just as deadly even though they are sometimes not. Full frontal crashes are much more likely than offset, and relative mass matters in both kinds of crash.

The superior ratings for the Rendezvous are good news, but do not surprise me since small changes can have big impact on crashworthiness results. I read an article about GM crash testing once, and they said very small changes can have large effects - even seemingly trivial things like placement of seatbelt anchor points. The Renezvous also has a couple more inches length, and a couple more hundred pounds over the Aztek.
  • Options
    I'll try to dig up that link for you. It was a while back that I read it. I too do like side impact airbags considering that there is so little crumple space between the doors and the occupants. Unlike front airbags, there have apparently been no deaths from side impact airbags, possibly since they are a lot smaller in size.

On a related note, have you seen this new topic: The safety of side impact airbags?

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    Here's what I've been able to find from one of the past IIHS studies that I've kept. What do you think?

"What are the most common types of urban crashes?

A 1998 Institute study of more than 5,500 crashes in four urban areas found that 22 percent involved drivers who ran red lights or other traffic controls such as stop or yield signs. Eighteen percent occurred when a vehicle that was stopped or in the process of stopping was struck from the rear. The three other leading types of urban crashes include running off the road and striking an object offset (14 percent), swerving into another occupied lane (13 percent), and swerving/turning left and colliding offset with an oncoming vehicle (15 percent). These five crash types accounted for three-fourths of all urban crashes included in the Institute's study and 83 percent of crashes involving injuries.

Which crashes are most likely to cause injuries?

In urban areas, motorists are most likely to be injured in head-on collisions and crashes involving red light running. Occupant injuries occurred in 45 percent of both head-on crashes and red light running crashes the Institute studied. Left-turn crashes produced the second highest number of occupant injuries. Forty-one percent of urban crashes associated with a vehicle turning left into oncoming traffic involved injuries. These crashes often involve a side impact. More than a third each of crashes typed as running a traffic control, rear-ending a stopped or stopping vehicle, and running off the road involved injury. In contrast, injuries occurred in only 16 percent of crashes involving lane change maneuvers.
  • Options
    Drew - your data is interesting but does nothing to substantiate your earlier claim about fatalities. In fact, death is not mentioned once in the above. Plus those paragraphs focus a lot on the maneuvers in progress during a crash as opposed to the crash itself, and thus are vague about key parameters. Here's my data source about crash angles - see drawing about 3/4 down the page:

http://www.crashtest.com/explanations/nhtsa/usncap.htm

I haven't seen the new topic you mentioned - will take a look. One thing I did notice which I found disconcerting from the link I give above: it appears that NHTSA takes TWO shots at every car on which they perform a side impact test. It sounds like they bash the front-side and THEN the rear-side of the same car!

"For side-impact testing, NHTSA runs a 3,015 lb moving trolley into the driver's side of a car twice, once at the left front driver's position and once at the left rear passenger's position."

If this is the way I believe it is, two hits on the side of one vehicle, I think that could make the rear side ratings found on NHTSA's web site to be quite pessimistic and misleading since the vehicle would already be severely damaged from the first hit when the left rear passenger area is hit during the second strike.

• Options
    Yeah, that's my mistake. I should've written "injuries" not "fatailities". The study goes into further details, but they're far too length to re-type here.

Thanks for the link. I've read that page several times in the past. Regarding the NHTSA, I understand what you're saying. However, from the pictures and video that I've seen, only one ram was used and it was centred on the vehicle's side (B-pillar). I have found it odd that the Crashtest site mentioned that two tests were used. If so though, I would think that it would be on two separate vehicles, eh?

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    Man I hope they're using two vehicles per side test, if two different impacts....

I agree though about the pictures - it sure looks from the pix on NHTSA's site there is just one large ram and one impact per vehicle model.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    How many miles have you owners put on your Azteks? I want to also know if there's any noises and such starting to appear as the mileage goes up.

It looks like the GT AWD models are still rare in my area, NYC.
  • Options
    noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    I have almost 5k miles on my Aztek. Most of the driving has been city or hard highway (very hilly two lane through the "mountains"). I get around 22-23mpg.

The leather seats in the rear fold flat which means the leather of the seat and the leather of the back rub together a bit during really rough roads (this isn't really a squeek or rattle though).

I have had the radio replaced because of two buttons whose backlights went out. One thing I have noticed is that on very rare occasions, I'll turn on the car in the morning (I have a 6disk changer) and all my stations and presets will be gone. This happened on the old radio AND the new one. Anyone else with this radio experience this problem?

The backlights on the rear doors went out supposedly. I asked people here who told me they lit up, but I went to a dealership to look at some of the new ones and their rear door buttons did not light up. My dealership said they weren't supposed to light up bright like in the front.

Every once in a while I get a few lumps when turning the engine over. Other than that nothing.
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Don't read too much into the offset resutls. A stiff design may not be the best in the real world.

Here are two links that show real world results. This one is injury rates,

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl_util.htm

and this one is death rates,

http://www.hwysafety.org/sr_ddr/sr3507_t2.htm.

Note how the Bravada, based on the Chevrolet Blazer, does very bad on the offset, yet has nearly the same injury rating as the MB ML320, that does very good in the offset.

Driver type is a factor here and the Olds driver may actually be a higher risk than the ML driver, so the GM design could actually be better in the real world!

• Options
    I'm curious as to the quality of the leather seats. What's your opinion on the leather and how durable/comfortable they are?

Also, do you feel there's enough power to get up those hilly highways? I know the engine has good torque but the Aztek is not too slim either :) No way can I test one out going up hills around here in NYC. But I camp alot and want something that can haul four passengers and 100 lbs. of gear up a hilly highway.
  • Options
    exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    Nextmoon, Since April 12, I am driving a yellow Aztek GT AWD. No matter how careful I drive on the streets of New York City, at times I cannot avoid the potholes. My main concern is the ASA 17 inch aluminum alloy wheels, that might bend hitting those potholes.

The car still gives me comfortable ride, no problem with the suspension yet. No mechanical problem. No problem whatsoever. The only thing that annoys me is the Onstar Voice Recognition System. I have a hard time getting thru it at times.

Over five months and 10,515 mile on the odometer of enjoying this car, it has served my purpose very well. I am taking good care of this vehicle that I wash and clean the interior almost every week.

So far, the car looks like new, inside and outside.
  • Options
    The leather is very durable and thick. It's not your typical luxury leather. It is heated (but I haven't used the heaters yet). They are perforated which is nice. The seat and inner back are a softer grade leather and the bolsters and upper back are made of some pretty tough stuff. They're very comfy, but finding your spot is somewhat difficult. If anyone touches my seat I rip their head off cause it'll take me a week to find that spot again. I'm a little concerned where the leather ends and the plastic bottom of the seat begins. This is a notorious spot for wear and for breaking when you slide out of a high up car. The leather is really thick where the plastic starts, but I'm also worried because the Aztek is high enough to where you still kinda slide down out of it and up into it (I'm 6'). I heard a pop getting out of it once but didn't see any broken plastic or anything else that might have been broken. I would like to put a side step just so when I get out I don't have to slide off the side of the seat and possibly damage the side. If you're getting leather I highly recommend putting a side step in your budget. Especially if you're a heavy guy like me (280lbs). Us big guys tend to be clumsy and break things.

I'm keeping a good eye on my seats since this is my first leather (my brother and parents have had leather before though). I'm also concerned about that drop out of the car and try to kinda "jump" out so I don't put pressure on the side like I've been. Hopefully by x-mas I can afford side rails. The lumbar has been nice, and the armrests are just solid. They're so tight on the seat that you can put them only half down, rest your arm on them, and they won't fall. This is kinda nice since in all reality they're too low. They need to be atached about 3in higher on the side of the seat to actually be at the right hight for my elbow to touch them. The bottom of them are about level with the seat bottom meaning it's an armrest that is roughly 3-4in above the seat. You'll see what I mean when you get it. If you sit "pimpin" style it's better cause the further back the seatback is positioned the higher the armrest will be when fully lowered. I just don't lower mine all the way, but it can still take the full weight of my arm without falling down during the drive.

I'll also tell you that when you put your arm on the window sill (window closed) you're lower back will end up killing you after a half hour (I commute 3hrs daily in my tek). I think this is because the sill is fairly high and not quite enough room to hold your arm in place. You end up using a smidge of backmuscle to your arm from falling off and after an hour it starts to really hurt. Easy way to mend this, put your arm on the armrest and it goes right away (took me a month to figure out that's what caused my lower back aches). When the window's open it's no biggie since you can put your arm out farther. It's kinda like holding your arm in midair (try it and you'll feel your lower back centering you from falling to that side).

I also have rear captains chairs. I recommend them if you don't need to haul five people and don't plan to remove them for any reason. They don't flip up nicely like the bench does because the headrests hit the front seat backs. Makes getting them out a pain.

As for power, plenty. Trust me, this car has plenty and then some. I used to drive a Ford Aspire to commute to school and some hills I'd drop it down into 4th or 3rd while flooring it and top out at about 40mph (it's a 55mph road). It's also out in the backwoods which means dredded log trucks that you get stuck behind. They do 70mph on the staightaways but only about 40mph at the hilly part which means if you don't want a ticket you have to pass them going uphill. I floor it and am litterally in the low high 70s and low 80s within seconds. That's up some impressive hills. Power is a little lacking in the 30mph region, but that's gearing for fuel economy. Punch it at this speed and you'll get some push into the back of your seat, but not a ton. Punch it at 50 and the tranny can drop a gear and really send you flying. I drive like I'm an old-fart so I hit the cruise on 56. It'll drop to a lower gear if the speed drops 2mph under what you set it at. Doesn't happen very often and when it does you can't notice unless you're watching the tach. One downfall (and advantage fuel economy wise) is that there's very little engine braking. Set your cruise at 55, but if you're going down a steep hill you'll hit 65 easy. This is great for gas, but means even with the cruise set you need to mind your speed or watch for cops (I mind my speed).

Hope this helped. I do recommend the Aztek, but like any car it's not perfect. It took me a while to get used to not having my arm on the window ledge when the windows were closed. I'm still getting used ot getting in and out without breaking anything (though I've only been careful about this since the pop a week ago, meaning I wasn't carefull for 3 months and didn't break anything). Can't stress enough if you're big the importance of side rails or an "Oh ****" handle to support your weight as you step out of the car.
  • Options
    Please please please please please!!! Go to www.pontiac.com and demand that their website get up to par with the rest of the industry! It looks like something so cheap it was done at a local high school. Also demand an owners website equal to that of the Grand Prix owners and not that pitiful Aztek Connect. We deserve a website and an accessory store available since there is such a lack of aftermarket accessories for the Aztek.

Again: ALL AZTEK OWNERS...TELL PONTIAC WE DEMAND A HIGH QUALITY OWNERS WEBSITE WITH A PARTS AND ACCESSORY STORE!

I've sent them several messages and will continue to keep doing so. With Azteks selling so poorly only a few manufacturers are making parts and accessories for them and finding these manufactureres is all but impossible.
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the very detailed info on power and leather. I myself have only owned cars with cloth seats and so were my father's car so I wanted to treat myself to some leather. Seeing how the MSRP has dropped about $2000, I might want to opt for the leather in the 2002 model. My fears are the leather fading and cracking. I've seen this happen in leather seats on cars that are around 3+ years old. But my mom and gf wants leather because it's easier for them to shift around in skirts and dresses for a more comforty position.

Great to hear you can get up those hairy hills without much problems. There's a section of I-80 in New Jersey that is incredibly steep that I barely could make 55mph going up it with one passenger and some overnight luggage.
  • Options
    exzur: Nice to know the GT AWD model is available here and someone has one. I've looked at several dealers and they don't seem to have them in stock, only GT FWD. Did you buy yours in NYC or other places like NJ, CT, PA?

Also, have you bottomed-out driving the highways and streets with the Aztek?
  • Options
    I bought my yellow Aztek GT AWD from ALPINE PONTIAC in Brooklyn. I was at that dealership three weeks ago and it looks like they've sold out all their stock. Last Tuesday, I passed by Villa Marin Pontiac GMC in Staten Island and I saw five or six Azteks on their lot. I don't know if if there is an AWD GT. GMBUYPOWER online can help you find out what are available on Pontiac dealerships.

Instead of rotating the tires at 6,000 miles, I replaced the stock 215/70-16 wheels with the 235/60-17 Goodyear Eagle LS tires and ASA JS1 rims. I have not bottomed-out driving this car for 10,525 miles with these two sets of wheels, even with five people on board with our luggages.
  • Options
    I looked into the Aztek inventory of Alpine Pontiac through the GMbuypower a while back but haven't really gone in person. I'll definitely stop by there when the new '02 comes out. Are the sales people pushy there? If not, it'll be something new :)

So far I've spotted only a few Azteks roaming the city. A white one parked lots of time in the financial district, a black one in Bayridge, A Pewter one belonging to a neighor, and a blue one in Stonybrook. I'm hoping for a pewter or blue myself or any new colors if they come out with new ones.
  • Options
    The deadline for the end of the news embargo on the 2002 Aztek is coming up very soon! All those GM insiders reading these boards, what's the 411 on the new model?
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Forget that deadline, I just got my new AMI Autoworld Magazine today and they have official GM photos of both the new 2002 Aztec and the new Envoy XL. The new Aztec they have pictured is a yellow GT AWD. I must say, it's still not a good looking car but it is a lot improved and the painted cladding, larger wheels, and small rear lip spoiler make it look a lot better than the 2001's. The short article reads:

"The Aztec, introduced last year and judged homely by nearly everyone, gets a mild makeover for 2002. The new look includes a monotone paint job, a rear spoiler, and larger wheels and tires. More camping packages and outdoor equipment are available as accessories."

Oh, and since you all have wanted to see it for some time, here is the pic (Click on New 2002's):

2002 Aztec
  • Options
    Beach15: are there shots of it from other angles?
    I think Motortrend will come out with pictures too but not sure when the next issue will come out.
  • Options
    greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    If I click on the pic, the resulting page shows up with a blank picture....
  • Options
    kasprakkasprak Member Posts: 1
    HI, I have been researching Aztek GT base models or base models with the 1sB package. I have heard that some dealers are selling them for less than invoice price. Does anyone know if that is true? I would appreciate any comments or stories about your buying experience. Thanks!
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    If some of you couldn't see the new 2002 Aztec pic in my previous post, I've out it on another site. This is from a magazine and it was the only view that they had of it.

2002 Aztec

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    It looks a lot better that's for sure. I would like to see if they have done anything to the front of the vehicle. It's interesting to note that the Rendezvous is out selling Aztek 2 to1 right now. This new look should help the Pontiac.
  • Options
    greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    The only issue I have with the new design is they really didn't help the "RUMP" too much. I like the design of the Rendevous's rear end much better. Too bad they dont have all the aztek features.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Which feaures are missing?
  • Options
    Does anyone have confirmed equipment changes for the new models? I've heard additional features will be added but unsure as to if they're standard or optional features. Top of the list if those new 17" wheels are standard or optional. I think they look better than the the '01 GT ones.
  • Options
    The Aztek looks or design is sportier than the RDV, that's why it was chosen as the pace car of this year's Daytona 500. This Aztek feature, among other things, are different from the RDV.

The Aztek has two pieces rear gates, that';s why, giving up 4 inches in length than the RDV, can carry the standard 4X8 plywood with no overhang. The availabilty of the camping, hiking, biking and sport appearance packages. With the tailgate down, there are seats for two people, rear speakers are angled outward, excellent for tailgate partying.

Aztek demographics are different from the RDV.
  • Options
    sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    a Daytona pace car because of the the massive amount of money paid by Pontiac Marketing to NASCAR.

Pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    millions and millions.

Don't they usually use a sports car like a Corvette?
  • Options
    or Grand Prix would have been more appropriate than an Aztek.

At least the TA would have been poetic...
  • Options
    Things always change, so some things that are not consider the norm today will be in time. Though I wonder what engine they put in the modified pace car because it sure would be nice to have an option like that! Maybe a blower?
  • Options
    Just pointing out that the Aztek design is sportier than the RDV. Just stating the different features of the two vehicles in response two previous posts. Can't comprehend why the TA and the Corvette got into picture.

"Massive amount of money paid by Pontiac, Must have been millions and millions"

Sp01, vin_weasel, Is this speculation??? Or a fact???

Does NASCAR choose the pace car by the amount of money given to them???

The likes of KIA Sephia could become next year Daytora 500 pace car, if the money is right. I doubt it very much...
  • Options
    Sephia could become next year Daytora 500 pace car, if the money is right. I doubt it very much..."

You honestly don't know?

If KIA decides to field a NASCAR team (and gets accepted) and wishes to pay the marketing fee to join the pace car rotation, they too may have a suitably modified model "chosen" as a pace car...
  • Options
    gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    It's actually a standard Aztek engine with a blower and a supercharger making it turn 330 hp. It's a sweet ride but the wheels rub in the wells because they are so wide. So nice gentle turns like Daytona are fine, but parking is a bit tough.
  • Options
    Possible and Yes,,, I honestly don't knpw. Chances are remote.

Similar to NEW YORK LOTTO's "Hey!!! You never know.."
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the pace car. Now the question is if GM plans to market the blower and supercharger setup. What I'll like to see is the horsepower brought up to 200 with an additional 20 lbs. of torque, not asking too much.
  • Options
    kissfan2kissfan2 Member Posts: 17
    Well......I'm up to 24,000 Kms. One Year and 12 days of ownership. Trips from Canada to Florida. Toronto to Montreal. Toronto to NYC.

More compliments then I can count. Over all GREAT VEHICLE Great performer!!

wearing the AZTEK SMILE!!!!!!!! ;)
  • Options
    gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    Well, I can promise you that the 'Tek will creep up past the 200hp mark in the not too distant future.

As for a blower and supercharger, I don't have any problems with the power the 'Tek has now. It's not supposed to be a sports car.

But honestly, I'd dig having a sick amount of power secreted under the hood for that time when you need to blow the doors off the jerk with the too-loud stereo and the tattooed-on attitude problem.
  • Options
    I've heard about the supercharger for the Grand AM 3.4L V6 pushrod engine installed by the Pontiac dealer. From what I heard the horsepower goes up to 240 hp. I am not quite sure. The source may not be reliable..

Anybody knows???
  • Options
    At one point in time Pontiac did consider the AZTEK sport version.

Please take a look,

http://207.37.252.232/events/sema/pon001025a.htm

A very good candidate to get the over 200 hp 3.4L V6 pushrod supercharged engine.