Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    ...slap some different stuff or paint on the outside, that'll makes it "sportier".

Still the same anemic engine. Wow, those Pontiac guys are automotive geniuses.
  • Options
    exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    Still vague to me what the 2002 Aztek will look like. Since we are discussing the supercharged Aztek engine I brought up this article. If there is a 2002 Aztek sport version, the look is different, could be what you have just stated. We don't know. I wish the sporty edition gets an over 200 hp supercharged V6 engine.
  • Options
    vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    Uh Exzur, when you start a sentence with 'Must' as in 'It Must' instead of 'It was' you could probably assume it was speculation. How am I supposed to know how much Pontiac paid?

The Aztek just doesn't seem to be a conventional choice for a pace car, modified engine or not.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    There's a 1 year update for the 2001 Aztek model in AMI Autoworld Magazine and it's very positive. I've been trying to find the long term reviews but to no avail except for this one. It's shaping up to be a solid product from this review and personal reviews from owners that have posted here. Personally, I find reviews from owners to be more valid then most magazines.
  • Options
    If the Corvette or the TA paces the Daytona 500. Don't they pay NASCAR the marketing fee or not. If you don't know how much Pontiac paid, then you were speculating when you mention the words, "millions and millions". Leading me to speculate, you were implying, Pontiac bribed NASCAR in choosing the AZTEK as the Daytona 500 pace car.
  • Options
    GM pays for the right to pace the NASCAR races, just like ESPN pays to televise them. Here is an excerpt from the many press releases this year:

"Pontiac and Daytona have a long and close history together. The pace car for the first Daytona 500 on Feb. 22, 1959, was a Pontiac Convertible. General Motors will continue to serve as the official pace car for all stock car events at the "World Center of Racing" through the year 2003."

Wake up.
  • Options
    gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    Tonychrys, If you can't say anything constructive....

The Aztek Sport was just a mock-up. It's just a 2001 with blackouts and dropped suspension. They wheels don't even turn right because they are too big for the wells.

Would I like to see a Tek Sport? Oh yeah. And we probably will. It just won't look anything like that and it will have ALOT more power.

But if you can't wait, just yank the stock airbox and install a K&N system. There's an easy 15 right there. Brings you right to 200hp. And strangely enough, I've been assured that it does not void the warranty.

And who here still hasn't seen pics of the whole car? I know you have all seen the back, but has anyone NOT seen the nose and side shots yet?
  • Options
    lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    That has the side and 3/4 shot. The wheels are very similar to the "Sport" ones. The shots are of a yellow "tek and the changes aren't extreme but who knows, with a good promotion, maybe this will turn things around.

Don't ya miss the "Ugly" thread, you never got bothered by the same "uh" retentives.
  • Options
    ...I just like the "facts" to be known, rather than "hearsay and hallucinations" to quote one of your brethern.

Glad I could help.

Oh yea, K&N air filter... 15+ hp... image

Let me know when you get the dyno charts.
  • Options
    sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    the K&N thread in Maintenance before you do anything to your stock air box.

Most are lucky if they ever realize (dyno) 3%, and the risks are high...
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    can you make an Azzztek worse by cutting holes?
  • Options
    Aftermarket, not Maintenance.

maltb: Oh, never mind...
  • Options
    That's 15hp at the crank. Anyone with enough skill to install one would hopefully understand the difference between hp at the engine and hp on the road after traveling through the trannie, diff and wheels.

Let's try to bring this conversation up to at least the level of bronze age and get past the grunts and whistles. If I want to listen to that I'll grab "Clan of the Cave Bear".
  • Options
    kissfan2kissfan2 Member Posts: 17
    You are right the proof of a great vehicle is in the usage and wear.

To date the AZTEK has been spectacular. My daughters Karate teacher owners one and he drives alot. 45K and I was with him in his AZTEK and his is still tight and great.

; ) ........... AZTEK Smile!!
  • Options
    anyone's going to see 15 at the crank, on a 185hp plant, with a K&N is if it's accompanied by headers, high-flow cat, new tubing and a high-flow muffler.

That'd be stainless, not "bronze."

Hardly seems worth it...
  • Options
    just how much power do you think that drivetrain eats up? I doubt Aztecccck is a model of efficiency, but 15 crank HP would still put at least 8-9 at the wheels. Even with NO air filter, you won't see that.
  • Options
    noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    I liked this place better when owners came in here. Every Aztek owner has heard every crack and joke you can possibly make so people, please save it. You're not impressing anyone.

As for all this mod talk, it appears a lot of the people discussing mods don't even own azteks. I'd love a supercharger or blower or whatever assuming that it doesn't void my warranty or decrease my gas mileage.

------------

On a better note... I really liked the sport aztek. I have a black one and I'd love to get smoked out turn signals. Anyone know where you can buy them???? The wheels are simply too big and I'd never lower the thing. I would like to get bigger diameter wheels someday. Maybe 225 on 18s, but replacing would cost a fortune so I think I'll stick with my stock.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Kissfan : good to hear from you again. Sounds like the Aztek still doing fine. How is the Sentra? How do you like the 02 Aztek?

Tonychrys : Still nothing better to do that bash the Aztek?
  • Options
    I couldn't have said it better!

I think it's going to be a while before any aftermarket parts and mods for the Aztek will come out. I like that smoked lense look to for the turn signals. But I wouldn't lower my ride height because the roads here in NYC are just too bad and anything lower will just be eaten up quick.

To those providing the pics, thanks.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Any product listed as an "official" car, camera, soft drink, etc. has paid an advertising fee to get that designation. GM has paid International Speedway Association (who owns Daytona Speedway, along with several other tracks) a fee to provide the "official" pace cars. For a long term contract like that, it would involve a seven figure payout. Nascar does not approve or provide pace cars, it is up to the individual race tracks.
  • Options
    theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    It's a "sponsorship" deal. That's how these things work. It's neither bribery nor an independent panel selecting pace cars on their own merits. In fact, it's just good, solid business.

Here's an official list of NASCAR sponsors: NASCAR. You'll note that Chevy and Pontiac are the only car manufacturer sponsors - exclusivity is the hallmark of an attractive sponsorship deal. One can only imagine that Pontiac bids big bucks to nail down the sponsorship agreement that lets them field the pace car.

Read this analysis: Decision Time

Read this article: Indy Racing Sponsor Spotlight: Oldsmobile

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A few off-topic posts have been removed - please take it to email.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    Thanks guys, for proving my point better than I was capable of.
  • Options
    The response that I got when I wrote "The Aztek was chosen to pace the Daytona 500" implies bribery to NASCAR. That's how I interpret it. I for one, believe there is no such bribery. Don't get me wrong. I did not say bribery to NASCAR as TC put it. The response that I got implies bribery to NASCAR. That's my interpretation.
  • Options
    And with that note (follow the money!), lets move on shall we?

Steve
    Host

• Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Until the Aztek sells in higher numbers, there will not be enough financial incentive for aftermarket manufacturers to develop many accessories for this vehicle.
  • Options
    There really isn't any shortage of aftermarket parts and gadgets for the 'tek. I guess it depends what you are looking for.

There are already blackouts, grill guards, running boards, taillight guards, custom neoprene seat covers, custom dash modifications, etc...
  • Options
    If you think that the Member Agreement is not being followed, please contact Drew or me via email. And try to get back to discussing the Pontiac Aztek, instead of each other. Thanks.

Steve
    Host

• Options
    Good to hear from you.

Luv the 2002 Tek.

The Sentra is doing great. Except for an incident with some paint thinner and a power washer that has made me sick.

Luv my tek....... you would too if you had one. You know Dindak. For the price I buy a Tek over the RDV....

wearin the ; ) AZTEK smile!
  • Options
    Is the Azztek smile as attractive as the vehicle?
  • Options
    kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    It's good to see you posting again. I've been missing the "Aztek smile".

I saw folks discussing the K&N's. We have a drop-in K&N in our Aztek GT, as opposed to the conical open-filament type. Our K&N seems to make a small difference, especially above 3000 RPM but have no idea how many HP. I do have a conical K&N on my 98 Grand Prix GTP, and it definitely made more than 10 crank HP difference, based on my subjective SOTP judgment, in that car (granted it's also supercharged). A conical K&N would make a significant difference on an Aztek, based on what I've read on www.grandamgt.com forums and my own experience.
  • Options
    Where are you finding these aftermarket parts??? I've been looking through websites for months looking for anything and anything Aztek. I've seen that one company has make brush, side, and light guards specifically for the tek. Other than that I haven't seen a single "tek" only mod. Where did you find the smoked out lights?? I think they'd look great on my black tek.

What interior mods have you seen??? Where did you see them. I'd love to get some colored replacement bulbs for the interior domes. If you know where to get colored bulbs that fit the Aztek's domes pleeease tell me! I would love to have red theatre lighting to match my guages.

Glad to see the completely irrelevant NASCAR discussion has been curbed.

Steve and Drew, I'm glad you guys give way a bit to Aztek owners with respect to aftermarket and whatnot. We realize that their are other forums for specific Aztek topics, but with so few owners it's more convenient for us to group into one single thread. When people start arguing though, more power to ya. Throw them into one of the dead aztek owner threads and let'em sit.
  • Options
    http://www.manik.com/products/pontiac.asp has the grill guards, running boards, and taillight guards.

http://www.wooddash.com/category/PONTIAC_Dash_Kits_AZTEK has the dash kits. Quite worth a look.

Colored dome lights and the like can be found just at about any good auto parts store. Of course, living in Rhode Island with this many converted rice burners running around, there are a lot of stores for me to walk in and grab stuff like that.

• Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Here's the link from "www.autonews.com"

http://63.236.108.16/news.cms?newsId=580

• Options
    I'll take a look at the 02 Aztek when it comes out but if we do go far an SUV, it will more likely be a VUE, Tribute or 02 CR-V. My wife now says she wants to lease another car so who knows. I think the Rendezvous my be more than I want to spend.
  • Options
    Here's another version of the J.D. Power and Associates Reports story about the high satisfaction ratings of the Aztek.

Steve
    Host

• Options
    JD Power: Pontiac Aztek Ranks Highest Among Entry SUVs in 2001 APEAL Study. I'd say that you guys have some hard-won bragging rates today. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
  • Options
    We've been trying to tell you guys that hate it all year about how great this car is.

Now maybe before some of you get on to talk about how ugly it is, or how much it sucks, you might want to go to the dealer and drive it around the block once or twice first and learn what we have known for a year.

Ain't braggin rights great?
  • Options
    they're great as long as you don't brag too much.

Those who have driven an Aztek are generally positive about it. My kids loved it when we had one for 3 days back in April and it was on our initial list for a 2nd vehicle. In truth, we all were impressed with its interior, ride, versatility, and stereo system. In the end, though, its price and (admittedly) its looks dropped it from the list. We stayed with the family though - and ended up with an '01 Grand Prix GT.
  • Options
    PONTIAC AZTEK
    Base price: $21,000 (est.)
    Engine: 3.4-liter V6, 185 hp, 210 lb-ft
    Curb weight: 3779 lbs
    Drivetrain: fwd/awd, four-speed automatic
    Expect the ’02 Aztek’s price to be lower than the previous model’s $21,445 when the freshened 'sport recreation vehicle' rolls into showrooms in January. Aztek will have a monotone exterior and a new rear spoiler. The GT model has been dropped; the Aztek is now available as simply a front-wheel or an all-wheel driver. A new exterior color is Champagne Beige. Standard equipment now includes 16-inch cast-aluminum wheels, a 12-pack cooler and CD player. Heated seats are standard in Azteks with the optional leather seats. GM has expanded the availability of OnStar and theft-deterrent systems.
  • Options
  • Options
    Aztek looks much better without the cladding. The new front also flows much better. I may just take a second look at the Aztek come November. I want to see in person before making a final judgment.
  • Options
    The two sites autonews and autonet seems to be reporting conflicting new model reports. One saids there will be no GT model while the other reports the continuation of both base and GT models. I guess the news is still too new to get clear information on features in the new models. I for one hope the GT model remains.

The pollen filter in the Aztek is of big interest to me seeing these filters helps big time when allergy season comes around. My car has one and it's heaven around that time.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The way I have seen it posted is: Two models for 2002, the FWD and the AWD. Each model will be available with four option groups, with the third and fourth group equal in equipment to the 2001 GT model. Also I have seen talk of a possible price decrease, so the prices in the autonet article are way off for the 2002.
  • Options
    The prices on autonet could be in Canadian dollars because it's a Canadian site. But I'm not sure what the conversion rate is between the two currencies. Most news I've read so far does point to a a lowered price of up to $2000.
  • Options
    Let me be the first to say that I think the new 2002 is pretty ugly. I think it looks like an oversized sport wagon. It's kinda nice though, because now I'm even happier I got a 2001. I think Azteks look wayyy better with cladding.

I've also heard rumors of a price drop, but I'm curious to see where they will make the cuts. You don't cut 2k off a car and leave all the options on it, there's got to be some 2001 features that will be MIA for 2002.
  • Options
    At the risk of.......hmmmm gloating!!!

I told you all from DAY one. First I took slings and arrows about crash testing. When the True tests came out....... GUESS WHAT I was Right.

Now JD POWER..... Welll what can one say. The AZTEK is quite frankly the best vehicle I have owned to date. (I've had Toyota's and Honda's)

The fit and finish is superb and after one full year...... Nothing better.

Wearing the......... Broadest widest..... ; ) AZTEK SMILE!!!!!!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    • Revised Aztek model lineup strategy—two models: Aztek Front-Wheel Drive and Aztek Versatrak All-Wheel-Drive (GT eliminated)
    • Freshened monotone exterior appearance with rear spoiler
    • Revised Aztek Option Packaging—Four Option Packages: 1SA Aztek; 1SB Aztek Basic Plus;
    • 1SC Aztek Comfort & Security; and 1SD Aztek Deluxe
    • New exterior color: Champagne Beige
    • Console/cooler now standard
    • AM/FM stereo radio with CD now standard
    • Optional hanglide premium cloth in Red Accent on five-passenger seats
    • Three-spoke 16-inch cast aluminum wheel now standard
    • New 17-inch cast aluminum wheels and tires (requires AWD)
    • Heated seats now standard on optional leather seating
    • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with radio controls now standard on dual-play radio and in-dash six-disc CDX receiver
    • Expanded availability of OnStar (not available with sunroof), theft deterrent alarm system, 16-inch Three-on-Three cast aluminum wheels and 16-inch puncture sealant tires

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards