Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Chrysler Voyager $24060.00 Base MSRP
    Ford Windstar LX Deluxe $27,915 Base MSRP
    Chevrolet Venture Plus $25,255 Base MSRP
    Pontiac Montana $27,390 Base MSRP,
    Plus many more. These vehicles do meet the criteria you set, and there are several more. Other than styling and "lifestyle" packages the Aztek is by no means unique in performance or capability.
  • Options
    gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    I'm not a 'soccer mom' and I don't drive station wagons (with the possible exception of a Volvo CC or an Outback) and I don't drive mini-vans (no exceptions).
  • Options
    Bode13Bode13 Member Posts: 19
    Yes, it's true, I'm SERIOUSLY considering an Aztek. And a 2001 at that. Yes, I like the 2002 a bit better (from the pics anyway). BUT, I REALLY like that the dealers are absolutely desperate to get rid of their 2001's and that means I can practically steal one.

Problem is, I'm picky. My current car is fine for now and the foreseeable future, so I'm not in any kind of dire straits. Here's what I want, and I'm having trouble finding it:

2001 AWD GT
    Aztek Yellow (MUST be yellow, won't buy another color!)
    1SC Package
    Sunroof
    Second-row Captains Chairs
    6-CD In-Dash Changer
    Trailer Tow Package

Yes, I realize it sounds silly but if I am to buy a 2001, it HAS TO have these features. And since I am not in a "have to buy" position, I can afford to be picky.

Does ANYONE know of ANY dealer with such a vehicle on their lot? Any "heads ups" would be appreciated. I live in Minneapolis, but imagine that if a dealer in....say......Ohio is motivated enough, they'll find a way to sell me the car and get it to me, right?
  • Options
    dangbwidangbwi Member Posts: 35
    Bode13,
    Good luck finding the Aztek you are looking for. I really like the 2001 AWD GT that I bought this summer. It is a very nice ride. Don't worry about any ugly look issue, I've never had any negative remarks. I've had numerous unsolicited positive comments. Every passenger I've had in it has remarked that they really like the ride, including honest people that in the past have voiced negative remarks concerning my vehicles.

Later,
    Dan
  • Options
    Poor Aztek sales have led to lower Aztek prices. This is a good thing for consumers. I'm a consumer, I like rebates and low prices. Why should an Aztek buyer or owner worry about total sales numbers of any vehicle? Being concerned that the industry remains solvent is another story.
    Dan
  • Options
    I like the Aztek looks. I don't consider the Aztek to be an SUV and niether does Pontiac. My AWD Aztek is larger than a Honda, Subaru or Rav and gets 25 mpg at 65 mph highway driving. I'm one happy guy. I also like the pull out tray. I plopped 2 hundred pounds of horse feed on it and it rolled easily right back in and out for unloading. The feed mill man said, "Thats better than a pickup."

Dan
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Styling: Does function trump style?

• Options
    kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    ronsexton - Our Aztek has both the rack and the moonroof. No problem. As for superchargers, my understanding is the unit is from Eaton (who also make the blower for my GTP), can be installed by a GM dealer, and does not void powertrain warranty except in cases of abuse or incorrect installation. The guys at www.grandamgt.com have devoted an entire section of their forum to it!

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=545ac7e6a4936e0563476cfe52a6c3e1&forumid=27

Also look at the details available at

http://www.gaupgrades.net/

under 'performance upgrades'.

Brace yourself... it's not cheap: $3600. Plus possibly $1000 if dealer does the install. But how many other SUV's (or for that matter MINIVANs) even have such an option? Oh wait - just the DAYTONA AZTEK, the first SUV in history to pace the Daytona 500, and the coolest Daytona pace vehicle in years....

That said, I have not confirmed with a dealer or Eaton whether the unit fits in the Aztek. However just from my own inspection of the engine bays of the two vehicles at dealers, it appears the Grand Am engine bay is more confined and constrained. Ask a dealer you trust. Also: the supercharger requires hi-test fuel.

tc_i_am: The Aztek IMHO is way out of the league of ordinary, mundane minivans with their anonymous, me-too styling. Aztek seems to be considerably less to buy as well, if similarly equipped (I'm sure there are exceptions and you will eagerly go dig them up now. Knock yourself out - I enjoy the entertainment). But answer me this: how many minivans have ALL these features standard or as options:

1. HUD, Steering wheel stereo controls, 6-disc CD stereo, OnStar, moonroof, leather reclining rear split bench seat or captain's chairs, AWD (oh that will make it hard for tc_i_am's search sorry dude), delayed accessory power, camping package with integrated tent, front and side aribags, ABS, TCS etc etc... you get my point or would you like me to continue with (2)?

Bode13 - First I'd suggest going to your dealer and have them run a locator check in a multi-state area comprising your sales zone. Or you can do it yourself, albeit more slowly, via www.gmbuypower.com . Just get search zip codes from www.usps.com first. gmbuypower even lets you look at individual stickers of vehicles in stock! I like the yellow too... we test drove one and got a lot of looks - people staring a lot, soaking in the unique styling. Our dealer (Bob Sellers in Farmington MI) had a yellow AWD just last week. Good luck!

fedlawman - it's good to hear from another Formula fan. Formulas RULE.

• Options
    ronsextonronsexton Member Posts: 14
    I keep seeing onstar mentioned. But is it worth it money wise and why? Educate me please! :-)

p.s. LS1 equiped vehicles rule! 8)
  • Options
    This will determine how supercharger friendly it is.
  • Options
    Call Joseph Mioranza (216-991-3333) at ZALUD OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC,INC. in Shaker Heights, OH.

Refer to VIN# 3G7DB03E81S542278.

It is the exact vehicle you are looking for with two exceptions that are easily negotiated at the lot (especially since they are surely going to want to offload last year's 'ugly duckling').

It doesn't have captain's chairs. BUT they can fix that. And it has the regular CD player, not the 6-disc.

Otherwise it is exactly your vehicle.

Hope this helps a little. If you give me your zip code I might be able to find one closer to you.

~Greg
  • Options
    This will determine how supercharger friendly it is.
  • Options
    ronsexton - we did not request OnStar when we asked our dealer to search for us since we are on a budget. Each buyer needs to make their own decision - it has its advantages. Check it out at www.onstar.com .

Compression ratios are the same for both engines, 9.5:1, but the Aztek 3400 variant makes ten more horse and 5 more ft lb., probably due to a slightly hotter cam grind (only my speculation). For people like me who 'enhance' their GTP's (mine has an undersize supercharger pulley) it's commonly known that tranny overheating is the biggest risk (although it should also be noted there are several differences between normally aspirated and supercharged Grand Prix 3800 V6's). So anyone supercharging an Aztek (assuming no fit problems) should at the least add a third party tranny cooler (like I did on my GTP) or get the factory towing package for their Aztek (like we did - what a coincidence).

Eaton has done considerable testing and engineering to ensure their blower does not unduly 'degrade reliability' for Grand Am owners. It might be slightly more risky on an Aztek engine if indeed it does have a hotter cam. Maybe post the question over on the grandamgt.com site... or ask Eaton.
  • Options
    exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    Some of the Azteks I see on dealers lot has the rear quarter(mostly on the left side) molding installed higher than the adjacent one.

The yellow Aztek that I bought in April has all the moldings perfectly aligned. Until I had a minor accident involving the rear end. The rear quarter left side molding was replaced by the dealer. It was installed amost half an inch higher than adjacent molding. I had a long fight with the dealer to get this fix corrected. We eneded up with a Pontiac representative saying the job was done right. The other body shop(not Pontiac dealer) said, they could aligned the moldings right. But for the money they were asking, I decided to live with it.

Take a closer look at the alignment of the moldings. Some of them, in my opinion, are not done right.
  • Options
    A slightly hotter cam would not be a problem for a forced induction application. Definitely sounds like fun.
  • Options
    $3,600 for the supercahrger kit and $1,000 installation. Add the sales tax. The figure approaches five thousand bucks. I really would like to add more hosepower to my Aztek But for that price, I'll spend my money elsewhere.
  • Options
    drzoom1drzoom1 Member Posts: 86
    We are 6 months and 10K into our 2001 Aztek. We love it. However, we brough it to the dealership when it would not start last week. Had to get a jump. They could not recreate the problem and we took it home. The next morning, it would not start. The dealership has had it for several days (not a problem since we got a cool GA as the loaner) and has not been able to recreate the problem. Last night they left it outdoors where the temperature was in the mid 40's. Started up no problem today.

Anybody else heard of this problem? If you have, I'd appreciate any comments.
  • Options
    vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    Your question, quoted in #3063, was answered perfectly in #3067. Just because you don't like mini-vans doesn't mean you can ignore them and change your question.

I'm not a big fan of minivans either, but they are practical and highly functional. As for the option list you supplied, I'm pretty sure you can find minivans with those options, even AWD (although rarely - but how many Azteks sold are AWD?). The only one that you won't find is the camping package. But then again, most minivans are long enough and come with removeable seats so that you can sleep in them with the back hatch closed. No bugs, no leaks. We did this in a '91 Lumina van for years.
  • Options
    tc_i_amtc_i_am Member Posts: 52
    For pointing out the obvious, which is the sheer contradiction that goes on here.

Someone won't consider a mini-van because of looks or image, and then goes out and buys a vehicle with a "polarizing" look.

I can hear the synapses firing out there...
  • Options
    Is it horseflys? Nope. Worse. Naysayers.

If you can be allowed to create 'facts' out of mid-air, I can amend my challenge to exclude mommy-tanks.
  • Options

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    earlier. I don't know the features of minivans. But I took a quick look:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46418/article.html

and more specifically:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46418/page022.html

It looks like none of them offer AWD, but some do have traction control systems. I'd look more, but I'm lazy. Honestly, I'd take a minivan over an Aztek any day of the week, especially after reading about some of the features they have. But that's just my opinion.

On further inspection of the Edmunds Minivan pages it turns out that the Montana, Town & Country, Grand Caravan, and Venture all offer AWD.

• Options
    Exactly Vin.
  • Options
    Mini vans are a practical vehicle. Where I work they have a fleet of 2001 or 2000 Dodge mini vans. Occasionally, I drive one for a two to five hour drive. Afterwards, I appreciate having the Aztek. I find it to be a much more comfortable vehicle, but the job we use the mini vans for is not a job for the Aztek.
    The Aztek camping package reminds me of the IH Scout 2. It had an option for camping off the tailgate. The Scout was a fun vehicle. The fun time are what made the lasting memories for me. I've been having fun with the Aztek. My buddy that owned the Scout died at the age of 43. Kinda helps me put my life in perspective.
    Dan
  • Options
    Well I stand corrected about AWD availability - it is true, the Montana/Venture and a couple of the DCX minivans offer AWD. I should not have been surprised GM's minivans offer it. I was surprised about the Dodge Grand Sport AWD, however. To the tune of $32,960! Ouch! (source: www.carpoint.com ). I tried as best I could to spec out a Dodge to have -or at least approach- the same level of features as an Aztek AWD. Note for example that side airbags are $390 extra on the Dodge, standard on the Aztek. If you want a safe Dodge you will have to pay extra for it. And pay all you want, no Dodges come with OnStar or HUD. The Aztek is thousands less with more features, if you care to compare the world's first SRV to a *yawn* minivan.

Also - GM is now third in the world for quality, behind only Toyota and Honda! Sorry don't have a link yet. They bumped off Nissan. I heard it was an article in either USA Today or Wall Street Journal.

As for sleeping in closed vehicles - I have done it (used to go camping in a K5 Blazer we had). Ventilation is for the birds, especially in hot weather. That's where the Aztek Aztent shines.
  • Options
    GM third - I saw a reference to that too, but can't find a link either. I think it was in a recent J.D. Power APEAL Study.

Steve
    Host

• Options
    jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    Jeez, I don't think I have ever seen such an unforgiveably ugly vehicle at the Aztek. Why on earth didn't GM just cease production right away until it could be completely redesigned? I thought it was some kind of poor joke when I saw the first example. It reminds me of the National Lampoon Family Vacation movie where Chevy Chase is taking his family to Wally World in the new vehicle he bought for the trip-- the Family Truckster-- which just happens to have multiple vertically stacked headlights, etc. yet resembles a Ford station wagon in a hideously funny sort of way. The sad part is that GM apparently was serious with the Aztek.
    More recently they have brought out something nearly as shockingly ugly -- the Chevy Avalanche. Where are those people coming from??? Maybe it's versatile, etc., but the plain fact remains that it looks like a huge joke. They must think that people will buy any stupid thing they decide to crank out. I certainly won't buy either of those two poor excuses for a vehicle.
  • Options
    Steve - I wondered the same thing too about the quality reports, but I think this is different than the APEAL awards. I will find a link tomorrow.

jim250 - Everyone has their opinion. I agree with you about the Avalanche, mostly because I don't like its squared-off wheelwell arches. However I for one really enjoy the unique, modernistic styling of our Aztek GT. GM deserves credit for innovation in styling. You have to take some chances to be a styling leader. My wife has received nothing but positive comments from strangers, friends, neighbors and coworkers about our Aztek. Take a look at it:

www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/index.htm
  • Options
    Well it is true that minivans can come nicely equiped. And are nice practical vehicles. But i would prefer the look of the Aztek also. Also they are probably better on dirt roads and some snowy roads around ski season. But probably not much diff. After all it is based on the Montana. So what would you expect? Also people do tend to like their minivans. But the Aztek while minivanish is not a minivan and so i would like it better. Are some of you claiming that you would like a minivan better? Come on now, i mean really.
  • Options
    drzoom1drzoom1 Member Posts: 86
    We are 6 months and 10K into our 2001 Aztek. We love it. However, we brough it to the dealership when it would not start last week. Had to get a jump. They could not recreate the problem and we took it home. The next morning, it would not start. The dealership has had it for several days (not a problem since we got a cool GA as the loaner) and has not been able to recreate the problem. Last night they left it outdoors where the temperature was in the mid 40's. Started up no problem today.

Anybody else heard of this problem? If you have, I'd appreciate any comments.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I've read that a vehicle employing swinging doors rather than sliding doors have stronger frames overall. The space for the sliding doors take away from space for better structural reinforcment. Sliding doors add more weight to a vehicle as well.
  • Options
    Quote: "On further inspection of the Edmunds Minivan pages it turns out that the Montana, Town & Country, Grand Caravan, and Venture all offer AWD."

The Montana, Town & Country, Grand Caravan and Venture overall length are over 200 inches. The non GM minivans are almost 80 inches in width. Compare to the Aztek length of just 182.1 inches. Huge difference in size folks

vin_weasel,,,,,, Why not compare the Aztek with the regular Montana, Venture or Caravan??? Because these vehicles do not offer AWD.

AWD, among other things are concern,,,, does not make sense to compare the Aztek to the current minivans.

The Pontiac Aztek is a class of its own.
  • Options
    The Aztek and minivans are similar, especially the Venture, with many of the same features, same size engine, etc. There are differences, but they are slight, except for one: Styling.

If you look at it from that perspective, the Aztek is truly in a class by itself. And ronsexton, based on that perspective, minivan any day of the week.

BTW, I agree about the Avalanche. It is the ugliest truck I've ever seen.

AWD vs FWD is intersting. I would like to see statistics of minivans vs Aztek where they compared the number sold with AWD vs the number sold with FWD.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    There are three signficant areas where the Aztek outperforms similarly equipped minivans...noise, body structure, and price.

Minivans are noisier because of the cavernous interior space, which tends to amplify sound. Minivans bodies tend to flex more, which results in more interior squeaks and rattles. Subjectively, minivans just don't "feel" as well put together. The Aztek, on the other hand, has a tight, controlled body, and a quiet, smooth ride...much better than the minivans I've driven. The factory sound system is better too.

I think it was already mentioned that, although an AWD minivan is a viable alternative to the Aztek (roomier and more versatile too), for some reason, similarly equipped, they usually cost significantly more. I don't think Aztek buyers are in the $30K + demographic, whether by choice or necessity.

Ultimately, the compromises that the Aztek makes vs. a minivan really do put it in a class by itself. It can go anywhere an AWD minivan can, it is subjectively more solidly built, it has a rugged, sporty interior that appeals to sportsmen (women), and it's affordable.

The only area where the Aztek has a problem is...it's looks, and there has been enough talk about that already. If you don't mind the looks, it truly is a terrific vehicle for the price. If you don't, you don't.

BTW, my opinion on the 2002...if you don't like the 2001, you still won't like it. If you like the 2001, you'll love the 2002. If you were on the fence in 2001, you'll buy one in 2002.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    For owners driving on roads without surrounding lights, how well do you think the headlights do there job? Is the light pattern evenly dispersed down the road in front of you? In my experience, headlight effectiveness can vary so much on different vehicles. My current car has such poor headlight designs that I can barely see down the road on lowbeam. On highbeam, it's better somewhat but it's not too well focus forward. Anyone put in HID in their Aztek?
  • Options
    Here in RI we don't have lights on the highway like they have back in NY where I grew up. With the 'tek's headlights it doesn't bother me anymore. The lights are high enough up and seem to have an excellent dispersement pattern.

The highbeams are bright enough to burn out the retinas of anyone in a regular sized car in front of you. Nice thing to have in the fast lane at night when someone decides that 25mph is fast enough.

I think HID would be a wasted investment in the tek. The lights are fine the way they are.
  • Options
    1tadpole1tadpole Member Posts: 2
    My Tek didn't start early this week. In fact there was not even enough power for the remote keyless entry to work. After a jump, I brought it in and was told that there was a bad body control module which caused this (mine is on order). Apparently there was a recall about this that I never received. Ask your service department to look into this as the cause...and suggest that they look at all recalls and technical service bulletins while they are at it.(Edmunds has a great section that lists all recalls and service bulletins for all vehicles in case you want to print them and bring them in to your service place).
  • Options
    Service Schedules & Recalls for Your Car

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Steve
    Host

• Options
    Since the regular length minivan(not much bigger in size than the Aztek) does not offer AWD, then the comparable minivans to.the Aztek cannot be had with an AWD. The AWD minivans is humungous in size as compare to the Aztek.
  • Options
    Great info.
  • Options
    Hey, looks like this thing is begining to leak, batteries are draining down, and other fun stuff. As usual, the General doesn't dissapoint.
  • Options
    The 2001 Aztek's AWD 16" wheel is 0.7" taller in overall diameter and 2.1'' bigger in circumference than the 2002 Aztek AWD 17" wheel.
  • Options
    2002 Chrysler Town & Country All-wheel Drive Passenger Van LX

CarsDirect.com Price $28,771
    MSRP $32,730
    Invoice $30,021

3.8L engine w/ 215hp/245t

Dual Zone Front HVAC
    Rear HVAC with separate controls
    Infinity Speaker System, equalizer, in-dash changer, etc.
    Rear Audio Controls
    Auto-leveling Suspension
    Trip computer

Better crash test ratings (especially for the rear passengers) than the Aztek.
  • Options
    sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    You talking tire size perhaps?
  • Options
    2002 Chrysler Town & Country AWD Passenger Van LX and 2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD spec from AUTOSITE.COM, measurement are in inches, figures for the Aztek are enclosed in parenthesis.

length--------------------------------->200.5(182.1)

width------------------------------------>78.6( 73.7)

height----------------------------------->68.9(66.7)

The Chrysler minivan is 18.4" longer, 4.9" wider and 2.2" taller than the Aztek SRV.

Huge difference in size folks. Are these two vehicles in the same ballpark??? Worth of comparisson????
  • Options
    Tire size for the 2001 Aztek is 215/70-16, for 2002 is 235/55-17. Info from autosite.com
  • Options
    The MSRP for my yellow 2001 Aztek GT AWD is $30,390. The MSRP for the comparably equipped 2002 model is $29,260. The 2002 has better wheels and rear wing spoiler. Every equipment looks the same to me. Honestly, I prefer the look of the 2001 model with the body side claddings. The 2002 MSRP is $1,130 cheaper. But I got mine much lower than the $30,390 asking price.
  • Options
    Yup, yer finally right. Maybe it's not fair comparison since the T&C has a little more room and hence more versatile for carrying stuff from Home Depot.

When yer right, yer right.
  • Options
    sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    power to weight ratio for the T&C as well.

Hmmmm.

Thanks Ex. Thought for a minute there you were telling me that a 16" wheel is bigger than a 17" wheel. Relief...
  • Options
    What am I supposed to do with those rows of seats when I get to Home Depot? Leave them on the curb?

Oh, I'll take them out before I leave for the store. Me and the forklift I have lying about just for the purpose.

And once I do figure out what to do with the seats, what is the width of the interior cargo area of the T&C? Is it wide enough to get plywood and sheetrock in there flat? Cuz sheetrock doesn't like to flex.

Just checking.