Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    You're either out one or more sensors, or you've got a short and/or a blown fuse.

Just a guess, of course...
  • Options
    drzoom1drzoom1 Member Posts: 86
    The problem with my battery resulted in no-response when I would try to start it. None. No clicking, etc.

Sounds like you are having a different problem.

Good luck.
  • Options
    lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    First check which telltale lights are coming up. In other words, does the check engine light come on. Or is the theft light on. If the check engine light is not lit with key on and vehicle not running, there is a problem with the PCM. If the theft light is one with the key on, you may have had a loss of memory of the key. Or you may be using a key the vehicle does not "know". This is unlike the days of the keys with a "chip". The lock cylinder in the column has a encoder that will trigger a given resistance value. If the key isn't recognized, it needs to learn that key. Good luck and better information is available in your owners manual or the 800 number in the back of the owners manual.
  • Options
    imaramimaram Member Posts: 36
    I got my GT back. They replaced a bad crank case sensor. I asked the service man if they had this problem alot and he said mine was the first one with low miles that he had seen. But he said the sensors wear out so they have to be replaced just not usually that early.

I'm driving happy again now. Thanks for the tips sp01 drzoom1 and ibthedog.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Does anyone know of any aftermarket vendors selling a door or something to cover the gas cap? Reason I asked is living in NYC, people or kids may be tempted to play with the gas cap if it's so readily accessible. I know a door really isn't security but what you don't see will not tempt you.
  • Options
    lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    I can understand a failed crank sensor as a no start but I'm a little lost at how it "wore out"? Basically this is a magnetic pick up that has no moving or wearing parts. Off the top of my head I can't remember if the sensor is internal or external with shielding. GM did have a bit of trouble with the externally mounted sensors on 3.8 V-6s when small stones would get in the reluctor and crack the pickup. But most importantly your vehicle is up and running again.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Get a locking gas cap. GM should make one for the Aztek. I know they make one for the Impala and almost every other GM vehicle. Should be around $20.00 and very easy to install.
  • Options
    noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    Howdy. Got a "Q" for people. Does anyone with the dual zone climate control notice a significant drop in airflow from the outlets when you switch from all the way on blue to all the way on red? This is with or without recirculation and with the fan mode set on just head vents (actually occurs on any setting but easier to notice this way). I get in my car to turn on the vent or AC and with both controls set to cold blue my hair is literally flying backward like I was in a convertible. There's just a lot of air flying through those vents. Then when I turn it to hot, air flow is significantly reduced and it gets louder almost hissing like the air is being cut off. I'm assuming this is normal since the air that does come out is so hot that such a flow might actually burn someone (or just cause you to sweat perfusely). I just wanted to ask to check.

In other news, just in case people might be interested, I ran over a cat. Yeah, it was a bad end to an already bad day. I was really upset for one that I ran over a cat, and two because I probably could have avoided it. I've never owned a car with ABS so it's always been instinct NEVER to jam the brakes. Honestly the thought of doing it even knowing I had ABS was pretty scarry. Well, I was worried what if it wasn't a cat next time so I decided to make several stops at full braking to practice and get used to jamming the brakes. Anyone else out there that isn't used to ABS I suggest you do the same. Don't assume just cause you know you're supposed to that you'll do it. I started at 35mph and worked up to 65. I was really surprised how quick I stopped and how easy it was.
  • Options
    amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    Good morning all. My name is Andy Morales. Wife Yolanda and I traded in a leased '99 Tracker and purchased a 2001 Aztec GT in Maple Red metallic with gray interior. Love those red interior lights..Had the vehicle one week already and 350 miles later am delighted and very happy so far with the Pontiac Montana hybrid. Responses are AWESOME, GREAT, I LOVE IT from most of the ladies and HMMMM very ugly from the males. ha ha weird huh? i felt standoffish at first, but now i really like this vehicle. I know the AZTEK is aimed at the young people, but we as Babyboomers really enjoy it.

Regards to all

Andy and Yolanda
  • Options
    smiweesmiwee Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    smiweesmiwee Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks. My name's Stan Smith,wife's Donna. We picked up our Yellow GT AWD with all options just yesterday.Lovin it so far, other than down on power a bit.Traded my 94 Passat GLX for it. Still loved the VW but my 2 large dogs were begging for more space.
    Started looking a year ago and first looked at the Azrek then. Since then ran the gamut of station wagons,SUVs and trucks.For one reason or another all came up short.Needed something with good rear space,resonable gas economy,ability to tow minimum 3500lb.,4 or AWD for NE PA winters, and as many bells and whistles affordable.My short list came down to the Jeep Liberty and GMC Envoy. Liked the quality ingredients of the Jeep but down on space. Envoy seemed to have it all,other than high entry for dogs, but the bells and whistles ran me up to the mid 30s. While checking out the Envoy revisited the Aztek. Available AWD, good space for dogs and low entry,better quality look than some others(read Escape and Tribute) good variety of bells and whistles, tow capacity of 3500,and PRICE !
    Put 100 miles on yesterday after pickup to see if dogs happy with it. So far, so good. Now if anyone can tell me how to find about 15-20 hp. hiding in the engine, it may be my perfect vehicle.
    Sorry for the MUCH longer post than Andy's. I don't talk much, but when I do, I don't shut up!
    Best wishes to all who took the plunge early in the game!

Stan
  • Options
    amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    I understand the 3.4L V6 does duty in the Lumina and other GM vehicles. I also would like more oooomph. I will check into a K & N or AIR RAID intake system (I have a 2000 C2500 heavily modified) , maybe a low restriction exhaust system and chip upgrade if available. The road tests indicate 0-60 in 10.0 secs and top speed of 105. I would desire greater passing power. Being an old hot rodder, and the wife will be driving the AZTEC 85 % of the time, i will not abuse this SRV (Sport recreational vehicle). If i come accross any goodies, i will post for any interested in upping performance. I hear the new models will have wider tires, and more power. I believe GM had a DOHC version of this engine in early 90's Lumina with over 220 HP, that would be an awesome option. Maybe the 3.8 may become available, it does duty in the Pontiac sports vehicles.

Regards and congratulations on your AWD Aztec

Andy
  • Options
    greenaztekgreenaztek Member Posts: 1
    As the proud owner of a green aztek, I was surprised that citrus green has been removed from the 2002 lineup, and replaced by champagne beige. I think green is a neat color for the aztek, and I like the fact it is unique and distinctive. I can locate my aztek immediately in the largest of parking lots, because my eyes target in on its color like a laser. I wonder why Pontiac deleted green, as its much more interesting than most colors, and garners a lot of complements. In a way, maybe its a good thing as it makes the green aztek all the more rare and unique, and it will become a collector's item. Does anyone know how many green azteks were produced, and why did pontiac drop it?
  • Options
    gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    I know that when Jim took over as head of the Aztek development team the first question he asked was "How well do the captain's chairs sell?" When the answer wasn't great he killed 'em. No more captain's chairs. But you could still order them from Pontiac if you wanted.

The second question was about the green. Needless to say it was the second thing about the car that he terminated.

As for how many were produced? I dunno.
  • Options
    Are the new specs out?? I checked the Pontiac website and that pop-up box announcing new features for 2002 is no longer there. But there's no new info.
  • Options
    midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I don't think the general public was ready for citrus green color on a new model. Maybe on an established vehicle, but not one as new and radical as the Aztek.

By the way, has there been any date set for the 02 Aztek to be arriving at dealers? I see they have the pricing and options on Edmunds already.
  • Options
    exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    Just got back from vacation. Sorry for not responding right away.

sp01, In my post, I was carried away by the terms of tirerack.com. Nice to know you pay attention to my messages.

sp01, A wheel is a rim before the tire is mounted on. When the tire is mounted on, the wheel cannot be called a rim anymore. Confusing isn't it?

The only way, I can agree with you is if you can give a word aside from "wheel" to mean the rim plus the tire.

As I said before and I am saying again, "an automobile wheel is the rim with the tire mounted on"..
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
  • Options
    of course, of course.

Except when it's a wheel.
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    And then you would call it a rim (rim shot)
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Are you guys trying to drum up trouble?
  • Options
    exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    A word with different meanings is no good, leads to confusion. This is what I am trying to clear up.

An automobile wheel has two meanings, a rim with the tire on it. The other sans the tire. This is the confusion sp01 and I are in right now. A word has to have one meaning. If you want to live with it. Ok with me.

If you think this is nonsense, maltb, you are dead wrong.

A line has to be drawn. Otherwise this confusion will go on and on.

If the air is not cleared up, then it is trouble.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    It is all a Hallucination, of course, my horse...
  • Options
    Anybody seen him?
  • Options
    Any hope I can get an answer from some owners on my HVAC question???
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    noastar,

I am not an owner but I wonder whether other vents open up (perhaps in the rear) when you turn on the heat. If so, this would explain the drop in flow rate.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Check out the Rendezvous and Aztek models at:

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2001_sema/

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I like the Salsa concept better.
  • Options
    I agree too that the Salsa looks better. But I like the roof rack on the SEMA model with that sloped/covered front. Gives it a more sporting (alpine) look.
  • Options
    Thanx. It seems this forum has become quite flighty when it comes to subject. I think it's the influx of non-owners, but i could be wrong. The rear vents are always open.

It appears that the mechanism for the dual-zone air is that if AC is on and the passenger puts their control to warmer, that the air is not so much warmer as it is just shut off. When you put it to heat it still seems to maintain that cut-off effect.

Not sure if maybe there's a switch valve that moderates the airflow mixing hot and cold (like a flap) that may not be fully opening the hot position. That's why I was curious if others noticed this.
  • Options
    kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    Hi greenaztek (post 3174),

Our Aztek GT is citrus green metallic as well. It was our first choice when we had the dealer do a search, and they had the car brought up here to michigan from ohio so we could buy it. Wife and I are very happy with this color. It really pops in the sun, almost glowing. It's the color of golf course grass in the summer. Ours has the taupe interior - how about yours? Take a look at our wild and bold Aztek, at:

www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/index.htm
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Not sure if maybe there's a switch valve that moderates the airflow mixing hot and cold (like a flap) that may not be fully opening the hot position.

That's as reasonable explanation as I've heard. Depending on where the flap is, I would think think you would be able to hear it when it opens or closes.

Maybe we'll luck out and someone who knows will enlighten us.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    garthodinsongarthodinson Member Posts: 37
    Okay, The green is gone, some people liked it, I was neutral. BTW Hi Greg!

There are two floor vents under the front seats. they look like tubes or something. Then there are the others in the console thingy that points to the rear.

As for the dual zone, I have to say that mine works all the time. If the fan is on 3 then it is on three with only the temperature being different.

I will ask my contact at GM.

Joe
  • Options
    My dealership is really kinda stupid when it comes to their service dept. and the last thing I'd want to have to do is take it to those morons.

I do hear a flap switch when I switch air modes (ie floor to defroster). The only difference I hear when switching to heat is it gets very loud (probably air turbulance from the pathway being constricted) and hissing (also probably due to the airway being constricted). Perhaps I'm in denial. I suppose I should call the dealership (DARN!). They had the best sales dept and a really great price, but their service people are just dumb. I don't think they'd ever worked on an Aztek before mine.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Had to get my windshield replaced because of a rock that hit it. Cost a $50 deductible, but the invoice was just under 2k. Whew, are all windshields that expensive?

Also I'm looking at a 7yr/100,000 extended warranty (covers everything that the manufacturer covers and I think some more) for $1300 with no deductible. That sound like a good deal to people. My dad used to use it on his New yorker and had no probs. You just call the company from the service station of your choice and they give the service station THEIR credit card number. Things I made sure were covered were the factory electronics including HUD and the AC system.
  • Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello everyone

I am ready for a trade in 5 months when my lease is up and I have narrowed down my options to 2. The first one is the trailblazer and the second one is teh Aztek. Love the look of both cars, but I have a few questions.

1) Is the copperish/reddish tone seen in teh Salsa concept available for the production model?

2) Is the interior comfortable? Quiet?

3) How pleased are you with your Aztek?

To those who will throw in the ugly comments save it, I love the looks and teh feel of the car ( saw it at the New England Auto SHow) so your comments will be ignored.

Thanks to any help Aztek OWNERS can give.
  • Options
    1) Is the copperish/reddish tone seen in teh Salsa concept available for the production model?

Not this year. Maybe 2003. There will be a 'champagne' color available this year.

2) Is the interior comfortable?

Very much so. With the power front seats it's the perfect long trip vehicle

Quiet? The prototype was REALLY loud. However, the production model has LOTS of sound deadening material between the engine and you. Even at high highway speeds it's quiet.

3) How pleased are you with your Aztek?

Pleased enough that my wife and I are going to replace her '97 Altima with a SECOND Aztek.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. I am leaning towards the Aztek and your reply helped me feel better about the choice. I am waiting for that Champagne color, I like the new 2002 without the cladding, great vehicle for my outdorr lifestyle. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    I just ate!
  • Options
    kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    We test drove a TrailBlazer and our Aztek... and the TrailBlazer was a distant second. Our Aztek is used daily by my wife, who previously had a 98 S10 Blazer. She wanted a smoother ride than her 98, and so was happy with the Aztek. When I test drove the TrailBlazer I was a little disappointed I didn't feel the 270 HP I6 as much as I thought I would. The TrailBlazer is quite large and heavy (4600+ lb). Plus we got a lot more equipment for the money with our Aztek. The interior is very comfortable, with a sunroof and reclining rear split seat for three. Rear occupants also have their own aimable hot/cold air vents. The Aztek is significantly quieter than our S10 Blazer was at highway speeds. We're very happy with it!
  • Options
    I'm an owner and even I have to giggle at that.

Although.... The grill guard would look good in black on my red 'tek.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I sort of liked it myself :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Although it's a bit out there, some different colors and a little toning down mite make it an interesting vehicle. Easy to laugh at, but it looks like a lot of work went into that truck.
  • Options
    Malibu, let me tell you what I don't like about the Aztek first.

All that plastic in the trunk is bound to squeek sooner or later. Since the cold hit mine has begun to let go a buzz when it hits a pothole. I'm thinking it's the trunk and will eventually take it in.

Secondly the power seats are very comfy, but it takes a while to find the right spot. The armrests both on the door and the inboard seat mounted are a bit low for a tall person. You'll also notice, if you're tall, that the door switches are too close to you meaningyou have to kinda wedge your elbow back to get to them.

You'll notice a lack of power in the 30mph-40mph range. Passing, mergine, and off-the-line power are great though. This is mostly gearing that saves you gas.

There is a air deflector on the bottom of the engine that hangs down and really kills ground clearance and tends to scrape curbs. It's very annoying and I'd love to replace it with a skid plate, but I think it's feeding air to the engine.

You'll notice that you can't just flip down your visors. They have a crease on the outboard sides that must be adjusted or else they stop at completely vertical and blind you.

I'm sure there's a few more things that I can think of, but oh well.

What I like is the very quiet interior and comfy ride. At highway speeds you're still using your "indoor" voice to talk to rear passengers. I haven't had rear passengers saying the obligatory "what, I can't hear from back here" in this car. The seats are very comfy once you find your spot, just remember to severely beat anyone who messes with the seat after you've found it.

The stereo is kickin and the RDS is great for stations that have it. I can't say enough about the amazing sound system. I can listen from to everything from thumping techno to Tori Amos on the piano and it sounds great. In fact all the electronics are great. I simply don't know how anyone can drive without a HUD and steering wheel audio controls.

Gas mileage is another plus. For having all the goodies of a minivan, the gas is better. My brother has a 2001 Grand Caravan that gets around 17mpg combined. I get 24 typically.

I know people are going for the painted cladding of the 2002, but just let me say this about the 2001. Cladding doesn't show scratches. I've taken my Tek on some pretty nasty narrow paths with branches scraping the sides the whole way. They're never high enough to get the paint though. Also waxing is cake. There's really not much to wax and the dirtiest part of the car is the cladding, which can be cleaned with a netted sponge. I see people's front bumpers forever ruined with etched in bug and grime, but mine is always shiny since I can scrub till my arm hurts without worry of ruining paint.

I think the Aztek is a great buy. There are some long term quality issues though and a lot of electronics to go bad so I recommend planning on an extended warranty. Basically expect to pay another grand on top of your sale price for a 7yr/100,000mile warranty (but don't buy it till your factory is running out).

Now about that picture. I like it. I like it a lot. I love the tires, lift, and skid plate. Actually I'd love to know where to buy those items. I'd love the grill, lift, skid plate, tube bars, and wheels. Are those products for sale, or are they just concept? Where can you find out? Pleeeeeease let me know since I'm very interested in aftermarket stuff.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Amazing!!!!! Your feedback gave the pros and cons without critisizing. It's nice to know all those things about teh Aztek. I think I am going to end up getting one in that maple red color. I had the chance to sit in one at the New England Car show and it felt extremely comfortable, I'm only 5'9" so the switches are in teh perfect place for me. As for finding the correct seating position, I know that one, I have the same issue with my Malibu. If my fiance uses it I can never find the correct spot again, only a close enough.
    That is a point in favor of teh Trailblazer, it has memory seats so that wouldn't be an issue. Overall I think I'll go with the Aztek, I wanted comfort, quietness ( I've owned Pontiac before and I like the interior low noise levels), the utility of an SUV, the convenience of a minivan, the ride and gas mileage of a car, and most importantly, a car that is NOT a cookie cutter of every single sedan and SUV outthere. I like controversy and being different, I'll get alog just fine with teh Aztek.
    Thanks to everyone for their input!

Good luck and happy driving!
  • Options
    todd54todd54 Member Posts: 22
    Go to the site printed on the windshield: http://www.mbrp.com. You can probably find the parts there.

Todd
  • Options
    No go. I tried it last night. It's a Canadian exhaust company. I emailed the editor at off-road.com and asked him. Maybe he can dig up someone that knows. Or at least a good pic of the board in front of the 'tek that lists all the manufacturers.
  • Options
    noastar - would you know if the Rendezvous has the exact same gearing as the Aztek? From the Rendezvous topic, owners have said they've felt the engine was more powerful on the Rendezvous compared to the Aztek but they're the same and the RDV should be a bit heavier too. anyone with more info, please post, thanks.
  • Options
    Knowing GM, I'd say for ease sake they left the gearing the same. But that's a highly uneducated guess. I've noticed a considerable drop in power around 30-40mph in the Tek. However it's very fast off the line and sometimes I get carried away passing and hit 80mph.

Gregeaston, I hope you get back some good info. I'd really love to see what those parts are. That thing is basically everything I've wanted to do to the exterior of my tek and has the parts I've never been able to find.

Malibu99, Glad I could help. The tek isn't perfect, but it's a great car. I think I may have found my trunk rattle and if I did it was my fault. The Aztek lacks bottom screws for the license plates. I put on a plate from on the rear that I noticed rattles when I close the gate. I think it may vibrate on the exterior of the car when I hit large bumps and that's why I couldn't find the rattle in the car. I really wish it had the bottom screws, but oh well. The plates are hold down really tight by themselves, but frames are very floppy at the bottom. Just an FYI.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've had that problem from time to time. Try taking a little piece of self-adhesive closed-cell foam and put some under each bottom corner -- seems to fix it. I seem to accumulate stuff like that - don't know where you'd buy a little bit.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards