Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• Options
    nabinabi Member Posts: 15
    I found that gas cap is exposed without any cover. Is it safe design? Any body can open it and put anything in it, right? I don't think it is a good design if I understood right. I'm still considering Tek over SantaFe for me. I'm 6'2".
  • Options
    noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    Many many cars are made that either have completely open gas caps or ones that are covered, but flip open manually. It is not a rampant problem and in fact I have never known an individual who had someone mess with his tank.

Unless you've angered a large group of shady characters, I don't think you have the least bit to worry about. A person could just as easily key your car, dent it, or flatten a tire.

Santa Fe is a nice car. I think both are good choices.

If you're 6'2 really give yourself some time to sit in the Tek. Play with the seat and spend some time in it. It's not the easiest seat to get comfy in. Also, with your seat lowered and fully back, you completely kill the rear seat legroom (at least with rear captains chairs, I assume it's as bad with bench).
  • Options
    dangbwidangbwi Member Posts: 35
    I thought the AWD was constant in the Tek. The normal split is supposed to be 80 front and 20 to the rear. I've driven plenty on ice and snow this winter and have tried to get the tires loose in safe areas to see how it will handle. I have yet to feel any lag or sideways pulling. I love how it just pulls straight ahead on slippery roads. I feel much safer and have been overjoyed driving the AWD Tek this winter.
    Dan
  • Options
    The versatrak system is an on demand system. Under most conditions the Aztek is a front wheel drive car. The rear wheels are totally unpowered. Only when the system senses slipping to the front wheels is power transfered to the rear. There is a moment during the tranfer, but it's extremely quick and doubtfully noticable to the casual observer. It's downfall is that it doesn't benefit the dry drive characteristics at the limits like say a Suburu system would. The bonus is that is adds less weight and improves gas mileage over a constant AWD system. Since I can't imagine anyone pushing an Aztek to the handling limits on dry roads, there should be no reason to feel sad about having an on demand system.

Volvo uses on demand systems as well.
  • Options
    triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    I agree with you that that shift from FWD drive to AWD is hardly noticeable, except if your rear end is used to feel car motions. My summer daily driver is either one of my older Triumph roadsters that inform the driver through the seat on any motion the vehicle is making ( and you can drive them quite dramatically since the calculated center of gravity is below the road surface), and my other vehicle is a permanent AWD drive one. this is the reason that I have to get used to the slight delay. I also have to agree that it is very difficult to drive the Tek to it's limits, specifically with the 235/55/17 wheel set-up and the rather wide wheel stance. One also has to consider that most of the vehicles weight is positioned rather low and close to the axles (engine, transmission, AWD system, which pulls the center of gravity closer to the road surface. Most other SUV's have these components much higher above the road (resultiung, of course, in better ground clearance)This is clearly reflected in the good roll-over figures. I really like to drive this vehicle, it is almost kind-of-fun and not nearly as truck-like as the other competitors in this PRICE RANGE. Most people that compare the Tek, with Lexus, BMW or similar tend to forget about the money they have to pay for similar ride quality and features, and my wife really likes the WOW WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS effect. She feels that all other SUV's, are boring (figures, in the summer she likes to drive her 1938 Oldsmobile Business Coupe.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Saw a yellow 02 Aztek last night on the road. Much better indeed!! It was getting a lot of looks. I don't think there are many other vehicles that will get more attention than a yellow Aztek.

;-)
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• Options
    frankie1352frankie1352 Member Posts: 1
    I was in the GM Showroom on Saturday looking at the Buick Rendezvous, which I am truely in love with. The only pblm was he only had a RED Rendezvous. HE showed me a Black AZTEK. Well, we all know what people call it, but I am strange and I think it is beautiful.... Well he said I could have it at a great price,. I was just worried about the GAS Milage being all wheel drive and also the soft mushy ride it "MAY" give,. Any comments-HELP...
  • Options
    waymoresblueswaymoresblues Member Posts: 54
    according to my dealer, they have ordered two parts to fix the rear hatch not popping up all the time:
    P# 10313998
    P# 10313997
    After you get the new parts, go out in the middle of a very cold night and hit the button once. That's the most likely time for it not to open. I'm still having problems in cold, dark weather getting it to open. That's my fault though cause I haven't taken it back. Been too busy.
  • Options
    smiweesmiwee Member Posts: 6
    Almost a week of no comments on any board. Has everyone lost interest in their TEK, or are you out washing them? ;-)
  • Options
    Has anybody had a trailer hitch (2" receiver box) put onto the AWD Aztek? The only one I could find is from DrawTide (Hitch Number 75127), and costs over $300!!!!!)

I also would like to do something to protect the front against parking lot mishaps, since this vehicle has no real bumper. I tried to find either a bumper bar or similar. Again, the only thing I could find here is the Manik front bar for $387.

Did anybody out there find anything better in these two areas?

thirdly, has anybody identified any mud flaps that would work with our vehicles?

I appreciate any advise and help with my search!
  • Options
    jwalt2jwalt2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking about purchasing an Aztek in the next few months and I would really like to hear some recommendations from people who have owned one for 6 months to a year. Have any problems appeared over time or are you still as in love with it now as when you first bought it?

Thanks much!
  • Options
    amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    Try JC Whitney, they had one listed. Only question i have is, what about the tranny cooler upgrades? If you order factory installed, you get all these things.

Re: Problems with '01 AZTEK GT purchased new 21 Oct '01. Oil pan leak. It took 3 trips to dealer for repair. They did dye check, gasket replacement and furnish rental car. Service manager was extremenly apologetic and treated wife with utmost in courtesy and concern. In fact they were on a first name basis with discussions of his horses (service manager). Hmmm, i frowned somewhat, but all in all the dealer made it right and gave discount coupons for synthetic oil changes (Mobil 1).
  • Options
    I have the factory installed tow package (i.e., oil cooler, air shocks, wiring harness - even with a plug at the end) - the only thing that is not part of the package is the hitch itself. The problem with the JC Whitney hitch is that it is a Class II with a 1.5" receiver box, and I need a Class III with a 2" box.
  • Options
    dgrpkdgrpk Member Posts: 27
    I love the aztek and have been looking at suvs now for awhile. My husband and I have it narrowed down to an aztek or manual 4 cylinder hyndai. Its not apples to apples but in price it is. I heard a rumor that the aztek will not be make for 2003, I'm looking at a 2002. Heard the person who designed it was fired. Am concerned about this and the reliability of the pontiac. Have driven nissans in the past and would like to buy american. Has anyone compared this to the hyndai? Any insight to my indesision? I need help, were having trouble. Also, heard a review that the engine on the aztek wasnt the new twin cam ones like in other model suvs, does this matter. Any help would be appreciated. And for the record, my husband thinks its ugly, but I love it!!!! Also, he thinks it has a lot of sway, and is worried about manuverability in case of emergency. will be looking at the Fwd not Awd. I am concerned about safety in crash tests , we have a 16 month old.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I am trying to decide between an aztek and a Santa Fe. Has anyone compared these two? I need reliability and safety. (I have a 16 month old) I like them both, haven't owned an american car in awhile, would love to love the aztek. Need as much info as possible, if you havent looked at the santa fe, tell me what you can, I need help in the indecision and the best help comes from people who own them ... Thanks, looking forward to your responses.
  • Options
    Dietmar, try an RV shop. I hear you about the $300. I know PEP Boys have them. Not cheap though. You may find one at your local salvage. I've seen the 2" hitches on Mini-Vans. Had one on an old '91 Blazer 4x4, 4-dr SUV. Forgot to remove it when i sold vehicle.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,

Andy
  • Options
    Donna,

My choice would be the AZTEK GT with trailer towing package for greater handling. Plenty of Pontiac Dealers to meet your service needs. Regarding safety. We have new grandson all of 2 mos. And look forward to taking him out in complete confidence in our AZTEK GT.

Re: Reliability, IMHO buying ANY new vehicle is like throwing dice, you win some, loose some. Not because of poor design, quality but because there is the possibility of getting a "LEMON". No car maker is immune. With current consumer protection laws, you can invoke GM Buy back if you purchase a defective vehicle. Have owned over 40 vehicles since 1961. Imports and domestics. Most trouble free were my Ford F-150 pick-ups and an '87 Chevy S10 4x4 ext. cab mini truck that Consumer's Union advised not to purchase.

Good luck in your research.

Regards,

Andy
  • Options
    aztek01gtaztek01gt Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 AWD and got the trailer hitch at a RV center for $270 installed.They included a draw bar and ball.U-haul wanted $290 and no draw bar and ball.It was the Drawtite 75127 model.It's a 2" receiver and I really got it to haul bikes.I got a Saris Batrack that hold 4 bikes.I plan on putting some bikes on the roof.Anyone have experience with the Yakima Railrider 1 towers that go into the factory rack track?Phil
  • Options
    Phil, thank you for the info. A local shop quoted me $279 for the same hitch. I think that is close enough. I am in the same boat as you are, I need that 2" receiver box for my bike carrier. I am just in shock over the price. I have a 2" Drawtide class III on my other vehicle and that was only $160 (2 years ago)!
  • Options
    I compared the Aztek to the Santa Fe when I was buying. With regards to safety I think you'll find it's right around even. Crash results were all over the place for the Aztek due to a late airbag deployment in the tester. Check out www.iihs.org and www.nhtsa.com for the latest crash results. You'll notice that the Aztek scored 4*s for rollover w/ all-wheel-drive. Also notice the tek has side airbags, the Santa Fe does not. The Aztek is also a heavier vehicle.

In the area of crash avoidance I think the Tek wins out. Traction control or AWD/4WD is available on both models. The Aztek will keep your eyes on the road. If you get the Head-up-Display and steering wheel controls, your eyes will never leave the road. You'll be amazed how much more attention you give the road when you never have to look down at the speedometer or radio.

Gas mileage is about the same even though the Tek is heavier. The Santa Fe 4WD one ups the AWD Tek in the city, but the Tek one ups the Santa Fe on the highway.

The Tek is bigger. You get more rear leg room, and way more hip and shoulder room all around. You also get 15cu.ft. more cargo room.

I think if you're going to compare the Tek to the Santa Fe it really depends on which Tek and which Santa Fe. If you're looking at a base Tek or a base Santa Fe, it's a pretty close bet. The Santa Fe would be cheaper, and the 4-banger gets better mileage. If you're comparing both top end loaded miles, the Tek definately is the choice. It's more expensive, but with an in-dash CD changer, moonroof, Head-up-display, steering wheel mounted controls, and power seats you're definately getting a better car.

I do recomend an extended warranty. I have a 7yr/100k bumper to bumper from warranty gold. Remember that Hyundai offers an extended powertrain warranty. That leaves a lot out.

A lot of people, in the media that is, have huge problems with the Aztek's rear hatch. I wanted to point out that the BMW X5 model line is now using a liftgate/tailgate duo. Of course on a BMW it is innovative and snazzy. On an Aztek is is cumbersome and reviewers complain of leaning over it. BMW solves that with a sliding rear floor, wonder how pontiac solved it. Just me 2cents on that one.

The Tek has had pretty good reliability for such a new model. They have quirks from time to time so check out the service center where you buy. I haven't heard of frequent major problems and have had none myself. Reliability on the Hyundai is probably going to be worse, though its resale may be more.

Good luck on whichever you choose and hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thank you both for your input, Im new to these boards, its great, you ask questions to total strangers and they answer you like they know you, pretty cool. Anyway, Our choices would be between the manual 4 cylinder santa fe to the base tek with maybe tinted windows. And that is due to two reasons, My husband wasnt crazy about the santa fes option to go manual on the automatic, more things to possibly go wrong he figured, plus, you get better gas mileage with a manual, second would be price. We have a dealer in town who is doubling the rebate on the aztek to $4004. With that, it brings the aztek to the price of a manual 4 cylinder santa fe, base. We can't afford any more options. We are working on getting a base aztek, without window tinting for 18,000 out the door (after TTL), or a tek with tinted windows for about 18,300. We would have to get a dealer on the santa fe to give us invoice with no doc fees, on the manual 4 cylinder, and we'd be at the same price (18,000).. I figure for that money, on the tek, Im getting a 6 verses a 4 and I could do without the shifting, It sidetracks me from my little one on board.
    Another concern is the traction. On a base tek with no traction control, just the Fwd, will that be ok for everyday driving. We live in AZ with not much rain, but when it does, I want to know the tek will be ok.

And here is a biggie!! I was told that the aztek would not be made next year and that the person, or persons, who designed it was fired. Anyone heard anything about this or was this just another ploy of a dealer trying to steer me away from buying a pontiac?

Thanks again for all the input, looks like we may have some closure on the decision soon.
    Now if I could only decide between the yellow and the white!!! Will let you know the outcome
  • Options
    looks like you get a response better if you go to the suv board section of town hall instead of here. Nobody has answered me here but they have on the suv board!

For the record, my husband drove the aztek, Fwd the other day and felt that it had a lot of sway to it. worried about how it would handle itself on the freeway if you had to suddenly move out of the way of a hazard. As I said, check the suv board of the pontiac aztek, there is more conversation and input there. Good luck.
  • Options
    greg_eastongreg_easton Member Posts: 6
    And here is a biggie!! I was told that the aztek would not be made next year and that the person, or persons, who designed it was fired. Anyone heard anything about this or was this just another ploy of a dealer trying to steer me away from buying a pontiac?

Dealers say so many things (The Vibe is the replacement for the Aztek. Remember that one?) most of them crap.

The 'tek is alive and well and deep into development for 2003. I know the development team, and I can tell you that, yes, the original design team leader was replaced with Jim Vurlipatt (who's name I just butchered. Sorry Jim.) and he is a great guy. He's the one that had the foresight to ditch the puke green color and the captain's chairs that don't sell.

The 2002 is selling quite well with the new skin change. Once people get IN the vehicle they fall in love with it. But with Motor Trend, and Car and Driver telling the sheep... oops, people... that they weren't supposed to like it because it's ugly AHEM--Santa Fe--AHEM people were embarassed to bring one home for fear that their neighbors would make fun of them or something. Funny how little things have changed from elementary school when you couldn't wear THOSE sneakers 'cuz the kids would laugh at you.

Next time a dealer tells you crap like that, call Pontiac directly at 1-800-762-2737 and let them know that they have a [non-permissible content removed] dealer who doesn't know what he's talking about. They LOVE hearing that. And any dealer that will try to steer you away from the 'tek won't want to service it either, so take your business elsewhere.

Ah, it's good to be back. I lost my password so I had to get a new logon name. Anyone miss me?
  • Options
    squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    Do you know of any of the planned changes for the '03 model year? I was hoping for a lighter liftglass, or revised rear hatch. A wiper would be cool too. Or are they just looking at things like engines or colors?
  • Options
    DgrPk,

I personally wouldn't recommend either of the base models. Actually, I wouldn't recommend an SUV if you live out in Arizona. The Tek is a bit lacking in ground clearance and probably won't get you through deep rain any better than a sedan would, not to mention you shouldn't be driving through water that deep to begin with.

I see you currently own a Maxima. If I were you, and had a kid where safety was concerned and also a budget, I would be looking to sedans or big cars. You can get a strong V6 in a base Impala. Those cars got awesome crash tests from both the IIHS and NHTSA (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration if you didn't know). An Impala would be a large, comfy car with good safety, great gas mileage (22 and 32 I think), and leave you some money for some comfort options. If you want something sportier go for a Monte Carlo. It's just an Impala with a different skin on it. They're the same size with the same equipment underneath.

I don't know if you'd be too happy with either of the base SUVs. You're really selling yourself short. The Santa Fe's 4banger will be very underpowered. The Aztek's shine is really the combination of pure luxury that you only see in top of the line pontiac and Cadillac sedans, and other high-end options.

Greg,
    I got an email from pontiac saying they delayed the XM introduction until 2003 Azteks so I too can confirm the junk Dealers are saying. I am glad that my Tek is a one-of-a-kind first, but also that other teks selling better may open up the aftermarket to us all.
  • Options
    You should also consider the Saturn Vue and Pontiac Vibe. A pretty nice 4cyl vibe with power package, moon and tune package, auto, antilock, side airbags, and security system comes to 19,900 TMV. Not bad and will have some nice goodies.
  • Options
    Did anyone look over at the Rendezvous (so spelled wrong) in the IIHS crash test. It scored average. The whole crash was completely identical to the Azteks except its airbag deployed correctly. It got an Average and did very well. I think we'd see the same in the Aztek if they scored another one. Just my opinion. Just out of curiosity, how far back to people sit? My chest is a good 1.5ft or so from the steering wheel. I tilt it pretty low so the bottom is between my legs a bit. Hope that's not a bad thing. I'm guessing getting wracked by an airbag would hurt pretty bad.

Okay, I'm done writing.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    About $17,000 after rebate with good standard equipment.

3.1L 6 cylinder engine.

Quiet, refined ride.

Buick quality and reliability.

Good safety ratings.

Good resale.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Actually, the upward movement of the steering wheel and forward seat movement is the only thing that prevented the Rendezvous from scoring "good" overall.

Substitute the Aztek steering wheel and seat movement scores (which is reasonable since they are the same vehicle) and the Rendezvous becomes a "good" performer and a "best pick". Same for the Aztek.
  • Options
    thanks for the insight on the dealer talk. well said.
  • Options
    funny you should mention the impala, when I first saw it on the road I liked it, even before I started looking at any new vehicles or checking out crash tests, then I had the opportunity to rent one, and everything was great about it, except one thing, my childs car seat, when the arm is lifted up, doesnt clear the top, and made it difficult for me to get him in and out.

In looking at sedans we had to find one with a trunk big enough to easily get the stroller in and out of , and the impala has a huge trunk. but the price drove us away, then we started looking at small suvs and loved the room in them. So I guess thats why we'd like one, I've always had a car, and would like something different, like the feeling of sitting up high, we don't get much rain here and if the suv isnt much better than a sedan, we'd prefer the suv.

Because dealer is giving the double rebate, that is the reason the aztek has gotten into the race. otherwise the base model of the aztek is out of the question. All the other suvs we have looked at have been 4 cylinders, to keep in our price range, I was happy to see something that was out of our range become a possibility for us because of this deal.

As far as the base model of the tek, or the santa fe, they are both equipped pretty well. I don't need a lot of fancy stuff, I don't need a moonroof, which my maxima has and I hardly ever use. Dont cut the base model of the tek short, its pretty nice, I will use it for everyday errands and the luxury feel it has is much better that what I have. Just the fact that its new and isnt preowned by someone is a plus.
    my last new car was in 1986. anyway, besides the price on the impala doesnt leave me with much, and I would have to haggle with the chevy dealers to get it to 18,000 out the door.

I looked at saturns vue,and I liked it, unfortunately, they are on back order, and there again, the price is a little higher on a manual 4 and saturn dealers dont deal very much.

I loved the vibe, the pontiac dealer had one, again, stroller didnt fit very well in the back, we tested it. It would if one of the seats were folded down, then what happens if my little one gets a sibling down the road. One quirk of the vibe I found was the placement of the steering wheel. It blocks some of the dials. You can only clearly see the speedometer, through a cutout on the wheel the other (what do you call them) tach and fuel gauges I guess were blocked. Just a fyi..

we even looked at a pt cruiser, but had the same problem as the vibe, had to have one of the seats folded down to fit the stroller, sure we could get a different stroller, but again, if another little one joins the family we would still need a little extra room.

I wish they would retest the aztek.
  • Options
    kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    Wow - I've missed a lot since posting last (busy with job)! I need to log in more.

triumpher - are you in the Detroit area? We are and I could refer to the place in Keego Harbor where we got our hitch but don't have the name with me. I can look it up and post later if you like and you could call them even if not local and get a price point and part number. We have the factory tow pkg, and got a 2" receiver hitch put on there for well less than $300. Seems like it was less than $200. I will check.

jwalt2/dgrpk - we are very happy with our Aztek, and have been since last August when we got it! We have 10K miles on it and have had it camping with the 'Aztent' four times now. It's the most convenient tent I have ever had, in my three decades of tent/trailer camping. My wife loves our Aztek, and it operates well in the snow. Very seldom does the TCS kick in - I believe one could do without it with the right tires. My advice though would be to spring for upgraded tires like the puncture-sealing white letter ones. Our dealer swapped a set on from another Aztek on the lot, for just the difference in cost of the tires (about $150). The only real issues we've had so far maintenance wise were two. First, we got an SES light and dealer fixed it by reprogramming the PCM. Second, we are waiting for the dealer to get new liftglass hydraulic struts to put so the glass will unlatch every time in cold weather. It's only a problem below about 40F. Other than that, no troubles! We also have a K&N drop-in air filter. IMHO you can't beat the value of all that comes with the Aztek, and I like the bold and unique styling... I like a vehicle that stands out in the crowd. I talk to Aztek owners when I see them in parking lots. I have yet to find one that does not love their car! As for Santa Fe vs Aztek, that's been discussed before - do a search - but the Aztek wins hands down IMO due to features, room and power. I don't see how anyone can stand a 4-cyl SUV - maybe it's me but I like the power and smoothness of a V6. The Aztek will continue next year and beyond, and the competition should take notice.

noastar - as for the BMW's sliding floor - the Aztek's sliding cargo tray is essentially the same functionality is it not? Ground clearance for the Aztek seems about average to me - here's a few numbers from www.carpoint.com - Aztek 7.2" ground clearance, Maxima 5.5, Windstar 8.7 (wow!), GMC Envoy 8.0, Santa Fe 8.1, DCX Voyager 5.5. Seven or eight in. is plenty of clearance IMO. Most folks are unlikely to notice the difference between 7" and 8" in all but the most extreme offroading. As for base vs. loaded, the base Aztek is pretty well-packed compared to some other vehicles in its size/price range. And it's the only one with an optional tent! :)

see our wild and bold Citrus Green Metallic Aztek GT at:

www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/index.htm

and its safety/crashworthiness analysis page at:

www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/safety.htm
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    My wife sat in an 02 Aztek at the Toronto Auto Show. She was stunned to find out how much she liked it inside. She said the out side was still ugly but much better than the 01 model. I think she would go for one if the deal was right.

They have a black one at the local dealer and it looks ok, probably the best I've seen for 02 so far.
  • Options
    It's not only the BMW's sliding cargo floor. The BMW looks like it has a standard SUV liftgate like you'd find on any SUV. In actuality, theres a thin line just above the headlamps. That line is where the liftgate ends. The liftgate pops up and the remaining foot or so of tail is a tailgate that must be dropped down just like in the Tek. I saw it on Motortrend TV and then checked out BMWs website. I was shocked to see something the Aztek has been just horribly railed on put onto a BMW. I also noticed BMW never mention it and neither do reviewer except to say how wonderful an idea BMW had. One of the things reviewers have commented on the Buick RV is that it fixed the horrible lift/tail gate from the Tek. Total you know what huh.
  • Options
    jwalt2/dgrpk - forgot to mention - don't know if you are aware but www.gmbuypower.com is a pretty good search method for finding GM cars at dealers. You might be able to get a very good deal on a base 2001 Aztek if you are looking for min. price. You can find dealer inventory on the spot (granted sometimes its a little out of date). In fact I just did a search in our area and found a base 2001 at a local dealer. The only thing is I wonder if the $2002 rebate applies only to 2002's. Haggle with them and you will likely find them very flexible about selling any remaining 2001's.

noastar - the X5's are nice but way out of my price range... not to mention lack of interior volume...
  • Options
    kermitek, no, I live in the St. Paul, MN, area, but I would appreciate it very much, if you could give me the hitch info (brand, price). I could shop around and try to find a place that carries them.
  • Options
    thanks, I looked into gmbuypower, but what I got was "due to local laws governing the state of az, gmbuypower is unavailable in your area, please visit your local dealer"
  • Options
    triumpher - Here's the scoop. We paid $175 (incl. installation) last August to JRE Tires Inc (248-682-5708) for our 2" receiver hitch, ball adaptor and ball. It's a Drawtite V-5, also has a small number on the sticker "06497" not sure what that number is. It took them a while to bolt it on b/c there were a couple bolts that were hard to access... but overall they did a great job. It has a 5000lb/500 tongue capacity, or 3500/350 with a ball adaptor in place. Call them if seeking more details. Good luck!
  • Options
    Kermitek, thanks for the info. Equipped with that info, I will go out and do some shopping! That is close to half price from what I found so far!
  • Options
    did you get your "warranty gold" on your aztek from the dealer or on line? Im thinking of an extended warranty but don't know too much about them, haven't even looked into them. Is there a deductible and does it cover most everything? thanks!!!
  • Options
    I got my warranty online. My warranty covers everything that is factory installed. Every button and piece of electronics is covered. Squeeks and Rattles are covered. Wear and tear occuring before the specified wear time is covered. Damage due to overheating is covered.

There's a small list of non-covered items found at their website www.warrantygold.com. The items are things like brake pads and rotors and what not. My power seat motors are covered, Head-up-display, factory stereo including speakers, everything.

I have no deductible. All free.

Insurance stuff isn't covered just like it wouldn't be by the manufacturer. A windshield broken by a rock is insurance as is a physical break in the seats or interior trim. Paint isn't covered and niether are body panels. All those are insurance.

The warranty doesn't kick in until the factory one is up so even though I have it now, I can't use it. This is the same with all of them. The warranty is up when the odometer hits 100k miles (regardless of starting mileage) or 7yrs after the date of the warranty purchase (not the car purchase, I got mine about 6 months after purchase so it's really 7.5yrs). If you wait you get more time, but the price goes up the longer you've had your car. 7/100k is the best aftermarket you'll find.

Check out who insures the warranty. In the event that warranty Gold goes bankrupt, they have an insurer rated A- by AM Best to back up your warranty. That company is backed by a reinsurer rated A+. I believe both are domestic insurers so no oversea junk.

Hope that helped. Edmunds has an article about buying extended warranties, but it's really bad and doesn't help much.
  • Options
    thanks!
  • Options
    Mark (kermitek), can you give me a little more info on the hitch? Everybody looks into their Drawtite folders and finds only the one for $290 uninstalled. They told me they would need the type number (on your invoice?), or it might even be a different brand!

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Hi triumpher - Sorry info wasn't specific enough. Our hitch is a Draw-tite #75117, for FWD Azteks only. It's $170 at www.etrailer.com . That web site has much better and accurate info than even draw-tite's own site! You can use draw-tite's site, at www.draw-tite.com , but etrailer is better. If you have an AWD Aztek you will need a #75127, $199 at etrailer. etrailer has a neat install difficulty guide index for hitches, take a look. I can't fathom how my dealer was able to install mine for $175 when the part appears to be $170, except maybe they got a commercial discount on the part. Pricing may also have changed since last august. I do know it took the installers longer than they expected to install ours - maybe word has got around that shops need to charge more for the install.

I can email you pix of our hitch if you email me at mwwiseman@earthlink.net - but it looks exactly like the 'detail' picture on the etrailer web site for item 75117 (it's not straight - it's kind of v-shaped to fit around the resonator). Hope this helps.
  • Options
    We did it. Price won out over the hyundai santa fe and we got our yellow aztek last night.

(for you hyundai readers, and those who are considering a santa fe, I wouldn't have been disappointed with a santa fe, they are both nice cars with a luxury feel and lots of standard features, just couldn't afford one, they couldn't match or near match the price on the tek, even for a 4 cylinder. I wish hyundai would offer rebates for us dollar conscience consumers) anyway.,

I have my life back and can move on to other things besides car shopping!!!!

Still in a bit of overwhelming shock. Car is going in next week so they can buff out a scratch that was on the side when I picked it up, they are giving me a loaner car.

Despite some upsets along the way, I feel we got a fair deal, the finance mgr treated us well last night which was a plus.

They offered a loaner car while they fix the scratch, which impressed me. I hope all things go smooth with my new car, and any dealings I may have to bring my car in for service.

I'll check back from time to time to see whats up and let you know how life with my aztek is going.

Thanks for all who gave their opinion and input.

Now for a well needed nap then off to put some miles on my tek!!!
  • Options
    So you took the plunge! Welcome to the family of 80,000 plus happy Aztek owners! What's the eqpt on your Tek?

I agree about having a good dealer - it makes a big difference. I've seen the whole gamut. We settled in one just one or two who definitely go the extra mile for the customer.

I love the shade of yellow on the Azteks. Wifey and I test drove a yellow one and yellow was a real contender for us, next to Citrus Green Met. My wife really wanted the green. She said she was tired of dark-colored cars.

Hope you get many happy miles out of your new Tek!
  • Options
    gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    Hey did you ever tell us what year Aztek you got?

Did you get an 01' or an 02'?

Or did you already say and I didn't notice?
  • Options
    taztektaztek Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I hear you are the person to ask about the wiring or pin configuration for the Aztek radios. Is there any way you could email me the information? I am trying to install a PS2 into the car & would like to use the "Aux" input on the radio. You would really be helping me out if you had the info. Please let me know. Thanx!....Bill