Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Navigation System

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    That has been the one disappointment in my purchase. I've dealt with GPSes for years, and the software used by Honda is poor. Unverified streets, that BS. The POIs in this product is low, and with no ability to enter your own. i also would like to see being able to enter locations by coordinates.

Call Honda Corporate and see what they will do for you. The number is in the Owner's Manual.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Posts: 108
    I've only had my CRV for two weeks and this is the first Honda Nav I've ever had, but it pales in comparison to my Garmin Streetpilot 2620 we have. The Garmin is 2 years old, but has more updated maps than the '07 Honda, and it has far many more POIs in their database.

We live in Northern Virginia in Stafford County which is just outside the Metropolitan Area. As a result, we are part of what Honda calls "unverified" territory. While most of the roads seem to be there, the POIs are almost non-existant. The Wendys which is right off the highway and has been there for more than 10 years isn't even in the Honda database, nor are most restaurants or shopping.

How can anyone actually travel with the Honda Navs? It's nearly impossible to find a restaurant or gas station when travelling.

We were coming back from Williamsburg and looked up "McDonalds" and the stupid thing referenced a McDonalds more than 1,000 miles away!!

The stupid Nav doesn't have a freakin' clue of where you are or where you need to go to get a freakin' hamburger!!

I cannot find one positive thing to say about the Honda Nav System. Not one...........
    I cannot find one positive thing to say about the Honda Nav System. Not one...........

I am sure if you took it out and put it up on ebay there will be more than a handfull of bidders.

Did you call Honda Corporate and expressed your thoughts, just like I suggested in the previous reply to bigdog? You know they are not mind readers, if you don't tell them, they don't really know what you are thinking. Most likely all it takes is the updated DVD from Honda, if they have one for yout area. They release new DVD almost every year.

Did you or bigdog test the Nav system during your test drive? If not, then why complain?
    I test drove the Nav where I bought the car which is in the county north of us. Prince William County is in their databse, so they have more POIs.

The problem is with Honda's "Unverified Routes" where they don't include POIs (or very few). Unlike Garmin, which has POIs for everyplace within the US, it appears that Honda took a simpler and cheaper route by not going the extra mile to include a more comprehensive database.

As for an updated DVD, I have a 2007 CRV (built in April 2007), so it should have the most updated DVD already. If not, that's total BS on Honda's part for not putting in an updated DVD. Online, the DVD for the CRV is totally different from any of the other vehicles.

I guess I'm just curious if others are finding the same issues, particulary with the POIs. "unverified" could have drastic impacts when traveling with this nav system. Having a nav system is much more than just providing the routes on the road. POIs are just as much an integral part of the equation, and Honda's Nav system simply sucks at it.
  • bigdog999bigdog999 Posts: 6
    Yes I did test the Nav system when I test drove the vehicle. The area I test drove the vehicle was in a large metro area that is covered by the Nav System. Only later on as I drove to other areas, did I see the problems with the system. I operate hand held units on a regular basis, and have sold car units before at a sporting goods store i worked at. There as always are good and bad with the system. It has a nice large screen with good graphics and voice recognition, but in this day and age, there should be NO unverified streets and should have much more POIs. I will take your advise and contact Honda.
    In the 8 years that I have been using laptop based Nav systems (Delorme, Microsoft) I don't think I used POI ever. As I am driving along, I look at the road side signs that say that next McDonlads is so far away, next gas station is so far away. So, I never really had to use POI built into those systems.

But you have to admit that even with a poor POI database, it still beats driving around trying to find a street, or getting a map.
  • tcheeltcheel Posts: 1
    I purchased the EX-L with Nav on a new 2007 CRV in April for my wife. I was driving it this weekend and could not get the Auto Dim to work on the nav screen. I asked my wife about this and she said she has just been going to the settings button and manually switching to the night mode at night. I called the national Honda service and they said it should automatically switch from day to night when I turn on the lights, so I called the dealer (50 miles away) and he said he didn't know if it should work or not unless I take it in. I don't want to drive the 50 miles unless the auto selections is supposed to work. Has anyone else had this trouble?
  • You need to set it to "Auto" mode. and when ever you turn on the lights it goes to the night mode. when you turn off the lights it will come back to the day mode.
    Thats how they designed it to work.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,076
    Collegehillshonda.com has a portable nav system for Honda. It looks like Honda will be selling an add on one for those who don't have it. Looks interesting. A portable installed system. Maybe other companies could follow suit.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_crv_accessories/2007_crv_electronics.htm
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/gen3_crv/08a44.pdf
    That may be how they designed it to work, but that isn't the way it's working, at least for me. Do you have the Nav in your CR-V or are you just quoting scripture from the Honda Bible?

I have mine set to "Auto" mode, and nothing changes when I turn on my headlights. It remains in Daytime mode. The only way to get it to change to Night mode is to go to setup and manually select Night mode. It's probably a software bug. Personally, I don't like the night mode, so I'm happy to keep it on daytime all the time anyways. It does make the cabin nice and bright at night though!!
  • adkinsdwadkinsdw Posts: 3
    There is a knob near the speedo that controls the brightness of the dash lights. This knob has to be turn one notch off full brightness in order for the Auto switch on the NAV control to work correctly.
  • I am considering a 2008 EX-L with Navigation. However, I am not sure if the build in navigation is worth it or not. It sure is convenient and aesthetically pleasing, but functional-wise is it really convenient when compared with 3rd party solutions like TomTom? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    It's very nice. Very easy to use but have only used the Acura TL variant which is identical. Voice recognition can recognize over 600 commands. It comes with a PC card slot to play mp3s with an adaptor. They sell them very cheaply. Comes with an Add on CD changer. It's nicer since it doesn't have to be mounted on the dash. Even honda is rebadging garmin systems. The navi however is made by Alpine. The navigation system includes a backup camera.
  • I'm new to the whole navigation system thing, and don't know much about it at all. I'm thinking of purchasing a CR-V EX-L with the navigation system. Is there a monthly fee to use the service? I know with the XM radio, there is (after the 90 days trial), but didn't know about the navigation system.

thanks ahead of time!
    No monthly fee but if you want to it's 185 USD to upgrade the navigation discs each year. You aren't forced to buy the upgrade discs.
  • That's great, thanks so much for the info!
  • Hi, I just got the new 2008 EXL 4WD with the navigation system. I notice that according to the manual, if I set guidance setup to maximum, it should pronounce street names 1/2 mile before turning. So far, it does not, it says turn right, and shows the street name and turn in split screen. When I entered my home address using voice, it did verify the entire address of me and pronounce the name of my street, hence it does have the software to pronounce street names. I am missing some setting, the dealer does not know anything about it. Can anyone help me here.
  • I purchased the Sandisk 6 in 1 reader listed in this thread and soon discovered that there is a 1GB limitation on the card. I'm looking to use a 2GB SD card and maybe later down the road I might be looking at a larger SD card that uses SDHC.

Can anyone recommend me a card that will work in my nav unit that will support SDHC and sizes larger than 2gb?

Thanks!
  • maynerd, I currently use an Antec CF/PCMCIA adapter and have a 2GB flash card installed with no problems. I believe I've read elsewhere on this forum that there is a 999 song limit with the Honda built-in nav/audio unit. Good Luck!
  • Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the disclaimer message screen that appears everytime the car is started? I usually set the screen to Audio display and it would be nice to have it directly show whatever screen it was last set on. The disclaimer screen is very annoying, any thoughts??
  • Thanks for your suggestion ur251369 but I'm looking for something that is compatible with SD cards.
  • Curious,
    When I store my own POI's they do not appear on the map unless I select the POI as a destination (i.e. take me to a previously stored destination).

Other GPS units I have used would automatically display any of your own stored POI's if you happened to be passing the area. This happens without having to specifically ask for the location to display.

So far no luck with getting the Honda Nav to duplicate this behavior.
    anyone know if it can do this?

2nd ?
    What is the best and safest cleaning option for the touch screen?
    I ask because many such devices are sensitive to some products that call themselves "safe for LCD" screens.

thx
  • having read through this forum so far it seems the only way to move my itunes music to my PCMCIA adapter (and CF card) is to burn my music to mp3 disc and then reload it to my PC. I don't want to do this as it is a faff - is there a way to do it by exporting in itunes? :confuse:

all the music in my itunes has been from my own CD collection, so there shouldn't be any DRM on the tracks. thx
    all the music in my itunes has been from my own CD collection, so there shouldn't be any DRM on the tracks. thx

1) It is possible that iTunes has DRMed your music by default.

2) You probably need to convert the music from Apple's ACC3?? format to a generic MP3 or WMA (if CR-V reads WMA). I am not sure if the CR-V radio can read Apple compresison.
  • I just bought a scandisk 6 in 1 card adapter and put a scandisk ultra II 2GB SD in it - it was recognised in my PC, it did not work in the CRV.

However Honda (in the UK at least), sell the 6 in 1 card adapter with upto 8GB SD cards - so its all confusing. The website for those interested is: http://mail2.peak-uk.com/honda

I see you posted in November - so did you resolve this by now?

Thanks
  • I got it sorted now through ipod lounge - I have my music in mp3 format and in works using a spare CF card. There is a way to reformat your m4a music in itunes into mp3.

On to the next challenge :shades:
  • cljorichcljorich Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Civic EX with Navi...I purchased a 6-in-1 PCMCIA card adapter by SanDisk. It goes for $29.99 at Best Buy. This card bears the logo "SDHC", and works perfectly in the Honda card slot. I currently use a PNY 4GB SDHC card, and the full capacity is recognized. I currently have about 650 songs on it, and about 400MB of remaining memory. All the songs play just fine. I'm thinking about upgrading to an 8GB, but I realize the system will only recognize the first 999 songs, so I may just get myself a 6GB. The SDHC specification is labeled '2.00' by SanDisk, so this PC Card adapter works with that specification. Hope this helps all of you with Honda/Acura Navigation systems!
    I've been using a 4GB Compact Flash since I first bought my CRV last summer. It's worked great. 4GB capacity stores just about 999 songs, which is the absolute limit that the CRV will recognize. I actually use multiple 4GB cards and just swap them out depending on what I want to listen to. The only problem is that it takes a while to load a full 4GB card.

I saw an earlier post asking about whether it was possible to somehow disable the disclaimer screen everytime the car is started. Does anyone have a solution? That's probably the most frustrating thing about the entire system.
  • djbeatsgdjbeatsg Posts: 6
    Can you please post the model # of that particular sandisk pc card that has the "sdhc" logo? I've been searching the web and it seems some sandisks aren't compatible with the sdhc, which I really want because for my civic w/nav i already bought a 4gb sdhc card!! (using it in my palm centro, would love to sync everything up!) Please reply thank you!!!!!
  • My daughter purchased a 2008 Honda CR-V LX. She works for NATO and shipped the CR-V to Europe. The Honda Dealers are unable to downgrade the Navi GPS to Europe Maps. Is there a software program out there that will allow to change from US maps to Europe.