Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

TOYOTA TACOMA vs FORD RANGER- Part XI

Comments

• Options
    midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Tacoma_T(u)rd---> I think tacoma's are assembled in Fremont, California. Rangers are build in St. Paul, Minnesota. Check http://media.ford.com and look under Company / Plants for a list of what comes from where. Would be an interesting tour if you and your buddy do go. Let us know!

1busman--->Either I'm a lucky [non-permissible content removed], or I know how to care and maintain for a vehicle now. I haven't had any repairs needed to my 93 ranger with 135k that cost more than 120 bucks or 3-4 hours work. Brake rotors replaced once, water pump replaced once, radiator replaced once and all after 110k-115k miles. The only costly repair was my when auto transmission puked, but I used to hammer it into drive after redlining it in high school, thinking I was cool doing a little burnout. 24 years old now, and much more sane of a driver, but the darn thing is still running, and still getting 20-22 mpg in the city (2.3l). My fathers 92 f-150 is the same, except less miles (about 90k) but no parts replaced except a few vacuum lines and a main seal. Both cases show that with proper maintenance, the cost of owning and driving a Ford that still performs is way less than a Toyota. No Quality Problems seen here!There's a reason there are more Fords on the road, because they do outsell and they do last!

SPOOG!!! SPOOOG SPOOG!!! (LOOK HERE)-->I see you ignore posts that put light on your obvious conjectures and miss-information. Are you on a personal crusade or something? Did a Ranger run over your dog?

tony22r--->Try working in the Automotive industry for a while. Perform regular and not-so regular maintenance on all varieties of makes and models. Then you'll see how full of crap your post really is.

barlitz--->You lucky dog you! A 2001 model to boot.

Note: I'm not saying Toyota sucks here at all, Just that Ranger's offer all I want and More, and for a price that definately offers more truck for the buck and a look that's much more pleasing to the eye. Sure toyota components may last 1-2 years more, but paying more for them isn't financially viable.
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    You guys don't get tired of this, do you????
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    for some duct tape for someones mouth. . .

http://members.aol.com/Cpousnr/music2.jpg

• Options
    what I cannot see is spoogs truck. . .

http://members.aol.com/Cpousnr/music4.jpg

• Options
    slamedtacomaslamedtacoma Member Posts: 18
    my firned just bought a brand new ranger. my cousin a 98 (same year as my tacoma) and another friend bought a new sanoma.
    as of right now. my tacoma has the most power. has the best gas mileage. and oh yeah. the 98 ranger already has some rust on it (my tacoma dont). and all three have picked up rattles and been back to the dealership for work. once again mine hasnt. i dont care was some survey or test says. we ran our own and they all want to trade there trucks in for tacomas...
    and oh yeah. something im noticing, there are more and more older people (in there 40s adn up) slammin trucks (lowering them) so maybe u should look at that before sendin me to the kids section
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    How exactly did you slame your Tacoma? Did you slame it into a wall? Did you cut the springs? Do you experience a lot of bump steer? Do you know what that is? I agree, you shouldn't be sent to the kids section, most kids I know can spell and type. Perhaps the pre-school section for you?
  • Options
    but thats the difference between tastes. . .

Good and bad. . .
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I just read that Toyota uses a chinese mystery metal to build there trucks, a combination of plastic and cardboard spraypainted silver like metal.
  • Options
    allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Nice pics CP. Those are the kind of trails that I got my truck for. Beautiful scenery. By the way, what's that in back of your truck? Is that the water you mention sometimes? If it is, do you get water from the mountains to take home or what?
  • Options
    smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Barlitz-- that is funny and I even own a tacoma:)

It is never a matter of trucks, just taste.
  • Options
  • Options
    go to summit racin a buy lowering blocks dumb [non-permissible content removed]. and mine is not lowerd much at all. 2 inches.
    and no one did answere me why all my friends had problems with there trucks and i havent had a problem yet? and they are not as hard on there trucks as i am mine.
  • Options
    slamed:
    I do not know why, perhaps the same reason I have had no major problems on my Ranger to date.

allknowing:
    Yep that is a fun trail, Music Pass in the Sangre de Cristo's. Usually mud at the bottom (but a nice camping space there), some nice areas as you see, some off-camber areas and views from the top across the valley to the Wet Mountains. It is maybe 2,500 ft in elevation climb from the valley floor to that spot, in about 12 miles of trail. That last shot is in a clearing that is the trailhead for the rest of Music Pass, gotta walk from there, that goes up to Crestone Needle and Crestone Peak, both 14,000+peaks and favorites for climbers. I hunt just to the right of the picture, top of the mountains across the valley where the storm is. Great for Blue Grouse, deer, elk, snowshoe hare and turkey. Black Bear up there too, but thats ok, I will leave them alone if they do the same. The valley has antelope. My property is somewhere in the low foothills just on the left of the picture.

Yes it is a 200 gallon water tank.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Once again you fail to mention what is actually wrong with the Ford Ranger engines or the cost of repair!!? Why I ask? Example, for 1995 they have an engine problem, the total cost is $110 dollars! You need to actually read what is wrong before jumping to conclusions it means total engine failure. And you fail to mention just how badly Toyota does in its previous 1996 years, Why? and costs?
    I get around the net to other chat rooms. There are plenty of disgruntled Toyota owners out there. I continually wonder how Toyota comes out unscathed and ontop in all these quality/reliability bouts. Brings to mind my friend with his Tacoma and how he tried to hide his problems from me.. Hmmm....
  • Options
    You're a lucky guy CP. You live in the kind of area I dream about retiring in. I have to drive a few hours to reach a mountain area half as nice. I've got the beaches and the desert close by but I have to drive a bit to reach the mountains. If I ever get to Colorado, that's an area I'll check out.
  • Options
    What ever happened to cthomp? I haven't seen him in here for quite a while.
  • Options
    tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    midnight_stang: Wow! you own a Chevy AND a Ford?? i feel so sorry for you. I see you're posting on the "Tacoma vs Chevy S10" forum as well as here.
    Well, in either case you will definitely want to check out:
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls

4 Recalls for 2000-2001 Ford Ranger
    5 Recalls for 2000-2001 Chevy S-10
    0 Recalls for 2000-2001 Toyota Tacoma

midnight_stang (and other Chevy/Ford owners) you really should write down those toll-free phone#'s for GM and Ford; because some of those Recalls look like they might be kind of serious; stuff like brakes, seatbelts, tires, hoods flying off while driving, cooling systems, mislabeled GVW ratings/capacities... wow, i'm surprised they didn't just recall the whole Darn Vehicle!

>>> 2000-2001 Ford Ranger (4 RECALLS)
    Component: STRUCTURE:HOOD ASSEMBLY:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS, Mfg. Campaign #: 00S45
    Year: 2001 FORD TRUCK, RANGER
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 137700

Component: TIRES:TREAD, Mfg. Campaign #: 00T005000
    Year: 2000 FORD TRUCK, RANGER
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 14400000

Component: ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM:OTHER PARTS, Mfg. Campaign #: 00S07
    Year: 2000, FORD TRUCK, RANGER
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 49

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:ACTIVE RESTRAINTS:BELT BUCKLES, Mfg. Campaign #: 00S21
    Year: 2000 FORD TRUCK, RANGER
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 144435
    <<<

>>> 2000-2001 Chevy S-10 (5 RECALLS)
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:ACTIVE RESTRAINTS: BELT BUCKLES, Mfg. Campaign #: 00067
    Year: 2001 CHEVROLET TRUCK, S10
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 156305

Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:ANTI-SKID SYSTEM, Mfg. Campaign #: 00013
    Year: 2000 CHEVROLET TRUCK, S10
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 10674

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:ACTIVE RESTRAINTS: BELT BUCKLES, Mfg. Campaign #: 00067
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 156305

Component: EQUIPMENT:CERTIFICATION LABEL, Mfg. Campaign #: 00063
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 223194

Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:ANTI-SKID SYSTEM, Mfg. Campaign #: 99049
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 3947
    <<<

>>> midnight_stang wrote:
    tony22r--->Try working in the Automotive industry for a while. Perform regular and not-so regular maintenance on all varieties of makes and models. Then you'll see how full of crap your post really is.
    <<<

sorry buddy, don't get mad at me, i didn't build your vehicle. Ford did.
    And for your information I've owned plenty of Fords and Chevy's in my life, lots of different years and models. Maintenance? oh yeah, i've done maintenance :o)
    I've owned/built/rebuilt Chev 350's, 400's, 3.8L, 2.2L, 3.1L, 2.8L, 2.0L, some turbocharged, some supercharged. Ford 460's, 351's, 302's, 3.8L, 4.0L, even a couple of Dodges :o)
    So pal, I know all about owning and maintaining all kinds of vehicles. When I was younger, working on cars was almost fun, racing them even funner.
    But now I'm rather busy with my family, my career, house payments, etc. I need and want reliability and dependability.
    So these days I buy Toyota, or Honda, or Nissan.
    There was a time when I defended GM, justified purchasing Fords, and was hopeful about the quality and reliability of "Big 3" vehicles thinking they would improve over time.
    But time and again they've proven that they cannot get their act together. One of my '95 Fords is still in the dealership garage as we speak! Recall for defective head gaskets. Disappointing, to say the least.
  • Options
    indacurl2kindacurl2k Member Posts: 54
    is taking a hit on Capitol Hill. It seems Ford has been replacing the Bridgestone/Firestone tires with tires that have a higher rate of failure and did so without testing them. Also, there is some question as to the design of the Explorer that may be investigated by the NHSTA.

http://news.excite.com/news/ap/us/tire-deaths

• Options
    Tony22--->Actually I was referring to how easy it was to work on domestic vehicles. Wide open engine bay (room for v8's), general accessibility to all engine components. Sometimes just changing the oil filter on imports is a hard task, unless you got long and skinny arms, and are double jointed. Cost of parts are usually more, if not double. Every car or truck will need to stop in for parts eventually.

Besides the your recalls listed are potentially serious, but not as serious as letting things like that go. And why list S10 recalls here, I don't think anyone cares. You've combined the list of recalls and stereotyped them into the Ranger, "why not recall the whole darn vehicle". At least Ranger HAS active restraint seat belts. Look up Safety belt pre-tensioners. Look up survival rate on full impact or severe roll overs in Rangers. You'll see where the extra weight comes into play, and how the cab survives, and the occupants practically walk away. The tires is the whole Firestone crap, Ford does not manufacture tires, and they are ditching the fireturds. Cooling system, POTENTIALLY 49 vehicles are you joking? Hood assembly, could be bad news, but haven't heard of seen of one fly up. It could just be a mandate to inspect for a possible latch not torqued on enough. You do know Ford is now very-pro active on this type of stuff. Informing the customer about POTENTIAL problems that could occur, ever since the Firestone fiasco. You will see many of these recalls and TSB in the future as well. And little to none for Toyota? I guess this means to you that Toyota is perfect! But what if they just aren't telling you everything you could want to know about your truck's safety. Ever think about that?

I posted on the chevy board because you cut and pasted the same post on like 3 forums, it even in your profile. I don't own a Chevy(GM), because I'm a Ford guy. But I do have respect for them(Cadillac's, Z06, etc.)

I know you say you're a busy man, and who isn't these days? You want reliability and dpendability, well I'm telling you Ford has done nothing but prove both to me and my family, and my State. There's a reason why the several government agencies (Postal service etc) and commercial companies are buying up base rangers left and right. Because they are reliable, because they are cheap to run, and because they are cheap to fix. If you want to spend more money to for something that may run a bit longer untouched, or for that peace of mind, go ahead I can't stop you. Or spend less money on a domestic, maintain it like you would an import(or keep to the schedule in the book), and you'll have more money for your house payments, etc.

slamedtacoma--->2" is slammed huh? Okay so you're judging your opinion on those three cars alone. Rust on a "brand new" 98 ranger, means little about the truck, but much about the (previous) owner. "go to summit racin a buy lowering blocks dumb [non-permissible content removed]. and no one did answere me why all my friends had problems with there trucks and i havent had a problem yet? " Because no one cares. You could be comparing 4cyl automatics vs manuals, your friends could of bought the basest of trucks, or ones worn to hell. You think that you're truck is probably "bomb" while your friends trucks aren't. Too many hidden factors to call it systematic or problematic of either make. Let me also introduce you to the shift key. It's right under the Enter key.

indacurl2k--->;I saw something about that last night. I loved it when they were talking about steering when they are jerking the wheel back and forth making the vehicle sway. Also firestone separations claims on Explorers over 1183, Goodyear spearations claims on Explorers 2. Firestone also cites that the same tire is found on the lighter rangers, with little or no safety problems. Well aparantly the tread separation would have something to do with car weight(DUH), as the ranger is much lighter than an explorer, and a more powerful engine means faster speeds available.

http://fordfirestonewildernessatprogram.ford.com/

• Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    You know it's funny, I was watching the news the other night and saw a huge recall on Nissan Sentras. Here's the link: http://wire.ap.org/?FRONTID=HOME&SITE=MNMIT&enter=Go

I thought Nissan buyers didn't have to deal with recalls?? I thought you said only GM, Ford and Chrysler have these problems. I don't understand...

• Options
    smc13smc13 Member Posts: 52
    I do not understand what you are talking about. You said that I should look at a couple of websites that show a reliability comparison between the ranger and the tacoma. I did and posted my impressions of the comparisons. No you are complaining that I am still not explaining the ranger engine problems. Look back through your posts, when did you ask me to explain them? When did I say I would explain them?

Both sites you suggested I look at show that the tacoma is more reliable than the ranger, though the ranger's reliability has improved.

I don't see what your problem is. If you are happy with your ranger great. I am happy with my tacoma. I never tried to say you are anyone else was stupid for buying a ranger. You've seem to think that us tacoma are stupid and you are entitled to your opinion.

The reason I bought my tacoma isn't reliability (though the reliability is nice). I test drove the ranger and didn't like the seats, the engine, the handling, or the blind spots. I test drove the tacoma and I thought it was better in all areas. So I bought what I liked.

Steve Cohen
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Midnight_Stang writes:
    "At least Ranger HAS active restraint seat belts. Look up Safety belt pre-tensioners. "

The Taco has seat belt pretensioners as well as a cutoff for the passenger side Airbag.
  • Options
    I also have found out that the hood recall is for the striker that could fracture, potentially. These number of vehicles affected are the amount of vehicles with this part installed and need to be checked, not the amount of vehicles that need the replacement.
  • Options
    ok. all im sayin is that all my frinds and cousin have those trucks and they are not happy. they have all been taken care of but they aren not lasting like my truck. they have all driven my truck and like it more than theres. we all have just bout the same equipment except my friend w/ the 98 ranger. because he was just rearended 2 days ago and i found out this morning that he got (get this) a TACOMA...there i used the shift key.
    and i agree w/ smc13. i like my tacoma (so do all my friends) and if u like your ranger thats fine.
    the end
  • Options
    New trucks are always better. You were just saying the tacoma was better for power, reliablility, MPG, and rust, so I stepped in. Read my profile on why. You may have me only for power against my 93 4cyl automatic, but just wait until I step up into a 01 or 02 4.0l Ranger 4.0L Manual reg cab, 4x2. with a price tag under 16,000.

I think this forum has kinda taken a change for the worst with alot of bashing, personal and opinion wise. So I'd like to start making posts with a new theme. Features that make a difference between makes.

By Comparing the cheapest v6 4x2 I could find on either make, here are the differences. Ranger's Standard's: A/C, ABS Brakes, Power Locks/Windows, Cruise Control, 6-Disc in dash CD (edge), Tachometer, Alloy Wheels. Tacoma's Options: Optional power seats, Double cab for V6. Difference in price: Ranger at $14,782 vs Tacoma at $17,234. $2452 difference. Note that all standard features on Ranger are optional in Tacoma, but the price difference would be even more. I did see the Tacoma has a higher ground clearance by 2-3 inches, while the Ranger has a larger wheelbase.
  • Options
    You make a great point. I can't remember when the debate of Tacoma vs Ranger turned to the 2WD versions of both of these trucks.
    Maybe its because Tacoma owners know just how badly this version does in comparison? I don't know. Its no secret Tacoma's cost more at purchase. Yet Toyota owners love to brag about resale? I sure hope the Tacoma resales for more, they paid more to begin with.
    Getting a 4x2 Ranger with the new SOHC 4.0 and a limited slip diff sounds like a ton of fun.
    Fact is the Ranger now just plain out powers the Toyota in any configuration when coupled to a SOHC 4.0.
  • Options
    Just broke 43K on my 1998 Ranger. Still waiting for all those problems Toyota owners say happen to ALL Fords at 20K miles.....
  • Options
    yoru comapring a biger engine. i dont know crap bout toyotas 6 cyl. but i do know that you are tryin to compare a 4.0 to a 2.4. does anyone here wonder why it out powers. i can honestly my truck is more solid than any of my friends (other than the one that just bought the tacoma)and all im sayin is taht if you look at everyone who has a truck out there. most do it for the image. most never get into a posiosn that they need that limited slip diff. i have driven mine (a lowered 2wd) into the woods at my archery club and only gotten stuck once. and oh yeah. the ranger behind me (4wd) got stuck in the same place i did. we had to have quads pull us out. i had my truck to the frame rails. the ranger was sittin deep but not as deep.
  • Options
    dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    I just bought a 2001 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4, with the 4.0L SOHC and 5-speed manual. Up here in Canada, the list price including freight and $100 air tax is $28,850 CAN for a loaded truck. While I was shopping, I priced out the equivalent Tacoma using the toyota.ca website, and was shocked when the total with delivery and air tax came out to $35,090 CAN! What is with the $6240 price difference - that is crazy! My Ranger has the off-road package (4.10 LS axle, skid plates, upgraded shocks, 16 wheels/tires) sport bucket seats and console(only available in Canada), 6CD in-dash CD player, and all the power options. The only cool extra that Toyota offers is a sunroof in the Tacoma.
    So far I am very impressed with the 4.0L SOHC engine. It pulls hard, and I haven't even gone past 4000rpm, as I'm still breaking it in. Quiet and smooth too. Much nicer than the 2.9L Ranger that I traded in with 246K kilometres on it. Hopefully the fuel economy won't be too bad.
    P.S. Test drove a Sonoma before getting the Ranger - what a piece of crap. The GM 4.3L is NOT a good engine; not fast or smooth.
  • Options
    yota01yota01 Member Posts: 6
    Referring to post #1577, "the Ranger now out powers the Tacoma in any configuration". Well, that sounds good, but then again it should given that it has a .6 liter advantage on engine size. Even with that, the horsepower advantage is 207hp (Ranger), to 190 (Tacoma). The peak torque will have a little different story to tell, 238 (Ranger), 240 (Tacoma). If both trucks are equally equipped, and at a stop light, there is no doubt in my mind it will be a heck of a run no matter what the race scenario is. The undoubtable part is that there will be no clear blow out on either trucks part. As far as reliability is concerned, just look at about any survey that has been taken, and you begin to see a trend that the Tacoma is in fact more reliable as a whole than the Ranger. Don't get me wrong, none are bullet proof, but if I picked out a brand new truck, and knew it were going to be put through severe punishment, Toyota will most definitely win when it comes to compact pickup trucks.
  • Options
    smc13smc13 Member Posts: 52
    I just priced the high end ranger vs the high end taco using edmunds. the Ranger $25,300, the taco $25,370 (including abs). This is pretty much what I noticed when I was looking at the vehicles last month. The prices at the high end where almost the same in my area (baltimore MD).

A question for you Ranger owners. I could have sworn that I test drove a 2dr supercab xlt 4.0l v6 4x4 off road package but I can't find the 2dr xlt listed at edmunds or fords website. Was I dreaming?

Steve Cohen
  • Options
    18,950 for a nicely equipped Ranger.

The Tacoma would have been 23,050, a $4100 USD difference.
  • Options
    I just checked toyota.com for a loaded Tacoma - $24470. Ford.com for a loaded Ranger - $22655. These are for 5-speed manual transmissions. The price difference is much less in the US, but still significant.
  • Options
    Actually, $28,850CAN is the list price. I paid close to $27,000 CAN, which works out to roughly $17,500US. Also got the 1.9% financing from Ford.
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Maybe we shouldn't start with the exchange rate debate... we already have enough to talk about here ;-).

1 month of Toy Taco ownership and so far so great...I had yet to mash down the gas pedal (except for the test vehicle we drove) until yesterday. A 2001 Pathfinder was looking to cut me off from a stop at a signal. Well, I'd love to say I could blow away his 240 horses but the nose of my truck never was behind his. he went behind me only to tailgate and pass after the right hand turn we both wanted to make. Usually I don't care but I just didn't feel like being cut off by the 17 year old in Mom and Dad's Sport Ute.

He looked pretty annoyed since I think he thought he had a sure thing...heh heh.

John
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Here is a COMPLETE list of the TSB's, Defect Investigations, and Safety Recalls for the Toyota pickup, Chevy s-10, Ford Ranger, and Dodge Dakota from the years 1989-2000. Enjoy.

Defect Investigations 1989-2000

Ford Ranger - 20

Dodge Dakota- 14

Chevy S10 - 51

Toyota Tacoma - 2

Safety Recalls 1989-2000

Ford Ranger- 32

Dodge Dakota - 28

Chevyy S10 - 47

Toyota Tacoma - 6

Technical Service Bulletins 1989-2000

Ford Ranger -2,279(yes, 2,279)

Dodge Dakota- 940

Chevy S10 -448

Toyota Tacoma - 150

-------

So there you have it. All data is factual, and very telling. This is NOT "subjective".

A trucks reliability and build quality is NOT "subjective".

Not all trucks are built the same, as you can plainly see.

Here is the hard link:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

National Highway Traffic Safety Administrati

• Options
  • Options
    yota01yota01 Member Posts: 6
    Wow, 2279 service bulletins,on top of the high number of defect investigations, and safety recalls. Maybe it is a good thing Ford don't make anything that has to be done right the first time, such as a space shuttle. j/k, but on a serious note, I am quite surprised at that. If I were to pick a pickup from the 'big 3', it would most definitely be a Ford. The new Rangers are very sweet looking. Anyone know if the Rangers have a factory option for a rear differential lock like the Tacoma's? I beleive the Tacoma's TRD package includes that, also upgraded shocks, and a number of other cosmetic upgrades. Does the new 'Edge' version have these type of upgrades? Just wondering, thanks.
  • Options
    Spoog doesn't go into how Ford and Chevy outsell the Tacoma by at least 9 to 1 every year, and if you went to www.alldata.com you;ll see that the Ranger only has 16 TSB's for 2000 while the Tacoma has 10. His info is very misleading. I read that the Tacoma is made of a chinese mystery metal composed of cardboard and plastic and spray painted silver like metal,does anyone know if there's any truth to that.
  • Options
    frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    i am going to replace the stock shocks on my 2000 Ranger 4x4 in an effort to improve the ride [if possible]. i have looked at Edelbrock, Bihlstein, Monroe and a shock called Ranchos. any advice or ideas ? the Edelbrock's are most expensive [also seem to be the best quality] and the Ranchos'are the cheapest. truthfully, i can't seem to get any reliable info on shocks, or find any "roadtests". thanks.
  • Options
    frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    this emotional bantering between taco and Ranger is getting old. the arguments are mostly emotional and devoid of facts. you are talking two different type of owners who are looking for different things in a truck. Tacos are oustanding trucks, and so are Rangers.
    it is sort of like the Mac vs. PC argument in the computer domain. i use a Mac and like it very much, but a PC is the computer for the masses, and has more software available for it. i see a similar analogy with these 2 trucks: the Taco is the Mac of the mini trucks...i.e. more expensive to buy and fix, but more refined.
    to some owners, refinement is important. i like my Ranger were it not for vibrating and beating me to death...it is a lot things good but it IS NOT refined; it is strong on structural integrity, strong axles and suspension, beautiful paint, very rough, noisy, buzzy engine and very good towing capacity. what i have learned (the hard way) is that i would have been happier with a Taco (MUCH smoother engine and a better highway truck). my Ranger is better suited for going in the rough.
  • Options
    tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    barlitz -> Your info from www.alldata.com was misleading. If you look at the at what the Service Bulletins were actually About, you'd see that the Toyota bulletins were for things like: reference charts, paint codes, tips on how to program the alarm, etc.
    But for the Ford Ranger, they were about DEFECTS like: Inaccurate Speedometers, Brake Vibration, Leaking Transmission Fluid, Defective Windshield Wipers, Squeaking Doors, Squawking Clutch, Grinding from Transmission!

It may well be that Ranger outsells Toyota 9:1, but Ranger also has NINE times the number of Defects, Recalls, and Service Bulletins!
    Rangers are Cheaper to buy, but Rangers are CHEAP Quality!
    Just look at all those Service Bulletins for 2000 Ford Rangers!! And look at the types of things that already need to be fixed on a 2000 Ranger!

It was true in the 80's and 90's and it's Still true for 2000-2001, FORD still stands for Fixed Or Repaired Daily! Ford quality is JOKE One! To get any kind of Recall work done by Ford you have to Fight with the dealerships, or the government has to intervene to force Ford fix the Defects on Millions of defective Ford vehicles.
    In a few more years that Ford Ranger WILL be sitting on jackstands on your front yard!

>>>Bulletins for 2000 Ford Ranger (www.alldata.com)
    TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
    1. 99-26-6 DEC 99 Diagnostic Service Tips-Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)
    2. 99-26-9 DEC 99 Fuel Economy-Customer Expectation vs. Vehicle Usage
    3. 99-26-4 DEC 99 Inaccurate/Inoperative Speedometer/Odometer
    4. 99-24-2 NOV 99 Replace/Repair Any Lock Components and Individual Locks
    5. 99-23-4 NOV 99 Codes P0442, P0455/MIL On, No Driveability Concerns
    6. 99-22-2 NOV 99 Wire Harness Terminal Repair Kit & Wire Splice Procedure
    7. 99-19-6 SEP 99 A/C-Identification of Non-Ford Approved Refrigerants
    8. 99-19-4 SEP 99 Brake Vibration/Inspection/Friction Material Replacement
    9. 00-11-1 MAY 00 Traction Battery-Battery Diagnostic-Service Tip
    10. 00-10-6 MAY 00 Vehicle Sits Low In Rear
    11. 00-9-1 MAY 00 Automatic Transmission Fluid Leaks at Radiator
    12. 00-9-6 MAY 00 The Front Wipers Operate while Switch is in OFF position
    13. 00-5-5 MAR 00 Chucking/Squeaking/Creaking Noise From Rear Doors
    14. 00-5-7 MAR 00 Squawking/Eeking Noise From Clutch, 4.0L OHV, M5OD
    15. 00-3-6 FEB 00 M/T-Buzzing/Grinding Noise During 2-3 Upshift, M5OD
    16. 00-1-5 JAN 00 A/T-New Transmission Cooler Flusher-Service Tip
    <<<

>>> Bulletins for 2000 Toyota Tacoma (www.alldata.com)
    TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
    1. PG032-99 DEC 99 Year 2000 Readiness Disclosure
    2. PG031-99 OCT 99 Tire Inflation & Wheel Lug Torque Reference Chart
    3. PG021-99 SEP 99 2000 Pre-Delivery Service
    4. AX005-00 APR 00 RS3000 TVIP Automatic Door Lock Feature Programming
    5. PG006-00 MAR 00 CA/50 State Certified Emission Control Label Ordering
    6. AX001-00 MAR 00 Toyota dinghy towing guide
    7. PA001-00 JAN 00 2000 Model Year Paint Codes
    8. BO002-00 JAN 00 Seat Belt Extender
    9. PG001-00 JAN 00 2000 Technical Service Bulletin Information
    10. BO001-00 JAN 00 Rear Quarter Panel Paint Chip Protection
    <<<

P.s. barlitz -> i read that Ford head gaskets are made of recycled Ford Technical Service Bulletins, because Ford didn't know what to do with the Billions of pages of paper wasted on Ford TSB's!

I KNOW there's truth to THAT because one of my '95 Fords is sitting in the dealership Garage right now as we speak! Recall for Defective Cylinder Head Gaskets! Blown after only 65,200 miles and less than 6 years!
    I had to tape an old piece of Ford TSB over the annoying "Check Engine Soon" light because it started to come on Constantly after 3 years, and the dealership refused to Fix it saying it was outside of Warranty!
    I'm glad i saved all those Ford TSB's to put on my garage Floor, because after 2 years my '95 Ford which i bought brand New started leaking Engine Oil and Transmission Fluid out of the oil pan seals!
    It was pampered, street-driven only, no offroad, well-maintained.
    But regardless of how well i took care of it, in a few years it was just Found On Road Dead !
  • Options
    You seemed to have missed the Tacoma defect that was the result of a transfer case locking up while driving on the highway that resulted in injury to the driver.

You also seemed to have missed that when you look at the defects listed for the Tacoma vs the Ranger, there is a HIGHER incedent of injury in the case of Tacoma.

Sorry, gotta run, taking my Ranger with 43.8k miles out for a run. Its had a couple of the issues you cite, wipers coming on, door chime coming on but I will take those any day over a transfer case locking up in traffic. . .Other than those things, only thing that stopped it was an icy trail at about 10,200 ft november before last. It would have to be called a FOTD,

Fathfully Outsells Toyota's Daily. . .
  • Options
    from your screen name one can assume you have the older toyota, with the 22R 4 banger.

Nice engine, had an 18R in a Corona once, the older version of the 22R. Sold it with 133K but the interior was fairly well shot by 12 years of use and the exterior was rusting very badly.
  • Options
    I don't own a ranger and it seems to me that a lot of the tsb's are nonsense too.Do you know what a tsb is? Its basically a customer or service tech's suggestion in most cases. One more thing you're saying Tacoma's have no problems, I have a friend who is a surveyor for the state of Ma, one month after his tacoma went out of warranty his engine seized up, Toyota did fix it but that doesn't mean that Toyota's don't have problems, would of it seized in the middle of the mohave desert, he would have had to walk home and get real sweaty and maybe got dehydrated.
  • Options
    I found out something new about today my truck, it is equipped from the factory with the ZR2 package with an Eaton locking differential, not an open or limited slip differential, There are some good sites I've been finding with lots of photos of good offroading including one that was a week long with 6 ZR2's, 2 Toyota 4 runners,1 2001 Ranger and 1 Tacoma. I can post the link if anyones interested. Also got the X plan price on 2001 lightning $28790. But now I'm having second thoughts, what's more fun offroading and hiking or driving fast fom light to light and storing your truck for the winter. Saw a 93 Typhoon on Ebay that I'm gonna keep an eye on if the price is right I may be able to swing both the ZR2 and the Typhoon and then I'll have the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    When, as someone said, they are NOT recalls.They are suggestions to service techs on how to fix particular problems. They do not reveal shocking reliability data. Spoog, are you listening?
  • Options
  • Options
    oops, hit the enter key too soon. When did the Tacoma get the extra 20ftlbs of torque? the 3.4 has 190HP and 220ftlbs of Torque. I notice no Toyota owners caught this. The SOHC 4.0 has 205HP and 240ft/lbs of torque and will plain out power a Tacoma. Take a look at the HP/Torque curve, somthing Toyota owners hate to look at... LOL!!
  • Options
    smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    funny, my 3.4L has 260hp/295ftlbs. of torque.

Vince-Bring your 4.0 by sometime and we will see how they compare:)

I know apples to oranges, but hey it would be a lot of fun watching you stare at my tail lights...

It's all in good fun though!
This discussion has been closed.