Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

TOYOTA TACOMA vs FORD RANGER- Part XI

Comments

• Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    Fact:
    Ford is replacing all the Firestone Wilderness AT's on Ranger and Explorer.

Fact:
    Tacoma trucks can come with Firestone Wilderness AT's.

Fact:
    Toyota is not replacing Wilderness AT tires on it's vehicles.

Suggestion:
    Either there is nothing wrong with the tires or Toyota does not care too much about its customers.

Go check out the documented problems on Tacoma. There are may documented cases of Wilderness AT tires failing on Tacoma. My personal experience with Firestone tires is, when you get a flat, they will come apart real quickly and the tread will separate from the casing. Had that happen 3 times with Firestone FR 480's on a Caravan.

And no replacement tires from Toyota. . .
  • Options
    Ah, must have a supercharger. . .

Putting a BBK supercharger on a Ranger boosts the power quite a bit. Not sure I would bet your title if you ever ran into a Ranger 4.0 with a charger system.
  • Options
    smc13smc13 Member Posts: 52
    While I was driving around in my tacoma today I thought popped into my head about the cost of my tacoma. How much of the price of my tacoma was a tariff because it is a japanese truck? Is there a tariff on Japanese trucks built in the U.S.? If there is a tariff how much of a profit are U.S. companies making just by keeping their prices artificially high? Just wondering?

Steve Cohen
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    yeah, the ZR2 has the Eaton "Gov-Lok." actually, it is a limited-slip not a locker. -but it's probably one of the best LSD's out there.
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Hehe....fOrd is now under officia; incestigation by congres sbecause of the tire incident..

It appears the REPLACEMENT tires are doing the same thing...

This points to the problem being how Ford designs their vehicles.....

http://www.msnbc.com/local/rttx/a835234.asp

• Options
    allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    This may be hard to believe, but I actually found an Edmund's forum today that didn't have a reprint of barlitz's "Toyota mystery metal" comment posted.
  • Options
    eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    It's not exactly impressive to brag that a supercharged engine makes more than a naturally aspirated one. It's sad when manufacturers have to put expensive supercharger options into their trucks so they don't get out-powered by the competition. One thing I like about Ford and Chevy... class leading horsepower without expensive add-ons. Why can't Toyota stay in the running without forced induction? I do have to give them credit though. Toyota at least seems to understand that superchargers should equate to impessive performance improvements, unlike Nissan, whose supercharged Frontier 210 hp V6 only helps it improve from being too slow to get out of its own way to only a little bit slower than competitors.
  • Options
    midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    yota01-->Re: your post #1581, edmunds is telling us that peak torque for the 3.4l is 220 lbs/ft, not 240. Torque is basically a equation of rotating mass and cubic inches. Also note that peak torque is 3000 rpm on the 4.0l, while Tacoma is 3600 rpm. I'd love to find links to the actual torque and horsepower curves to show you how flat they are in the Ranger compared to the Tacoma. Couple that with the only V6 available in the Ranger's Regular cab, and it's not really a match anymore.

Vince-->In addition to above, yeah, Ford's engines make great torque down low (3000 for 2.5l and 4.0l, 3750 for 2.3 and 3.0l) 4000 on 2.4l and 2.7l, and 3600 for 3.4. I rarely go past 4000 rpm, and thats only in first gear on my 93 2.3l.

Anybody know why horsepower and Torque always is the same at 5252 rpm on every engine ever made(not just Rangers and Tacomas)?

Barlitz&All-->Re:Spoog's TSB's. Yeah I looked up a few of them specifically, and they could mean just about anything. One is the new 5 speed automatic transmission, that in case of repair, Ford wants them returned to the factory for a complete tear down to see why. Sounds good to me. Another TSB was something about an ashtray being available. TSB's could be new options available, technical instructions on any maintenance or repair, or yes, specific parts that need to be checked for problems.

Tony22r-->You basically like to take the facts presented, re: barlitz's alldata TSB info, and you say it was misleading. YOU are misleading by paraphrasing, over generalizing and lumping them all together. Do you realize that those TSB's identify the known problems, and ways to fix them? Innacturate speedo's? Simply thats about 3 gears and I speedo cable. It could be as simple as a cable coming loose. Brake vibration? The TSB is Brake Vibration/Inspection/Friction Material Replacement. In the worst scenario of this, you might need to replace the rotors and pads. Which will cost you under 100 bucks an axle easy. How much for Tacoma? Don't forget the standard ABS, and this does "vibrate" under full pressure stops, so it could just be consumer mis-information. ATF leaks from Radiator? You got lines that might just need more teflon, or just be tightened. Your "defective wipers" are wipers that turn on in the off position. Don't you think this is as common as you would have us think either. Your "squeaking" doors, are only on rear doors according to TSB. Ever hear of teflon grease or just WD40? Finally you say "It may well be that Ranger outsells Toyota 9:1, but Ranger also has NINE times the number of Defects, Recalls, and Service Bulletins!" Then do the math. 9(your figures) more vehicles with 9 times(your figures again) more defects, recalls, etcc? I GUESS THAT MEANS THE ACTUAL AMOUNT OF VEHICLES AFFECTED ARE THE SAME. You will see more coverage (media, TSB, whatever) because they will always be more on the road. Take the idiot factor into play, and you'll have plenty of consumers do the worst they can (or nothing at all) to maintain the vehicle properly. I thought Ford stood for First On Race Day.

smgilles--->Are you supercharged? because "my 3.4L has 260hp/295ftlbs. of torque" isn't naturally aspired or normal stock. Gotta keep to your class! Is it factory, and how much boost? Watch out for any supercharged 4.0l though! :)

Spoog--->Explorers only, not Ford. So it doesn't belong in the forum me thinks. Unless you think by generalizing two distinct brands (both best selling in class!) that you can cause grief on Ranger owners and prospective buyers? It's funny how Goodyear had 2 claims in the time that Firestone had over 1100 claims! You seemed to forget that fact that I've been thath posting over and over. So tell me again, how is that bad?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=8482

cpounsr--->The Tacoma's better keep their Wilderness's inflated! At least the vehicle is much lighter than an SUV so it's got a little less load to carry. And that's Firestone's argument on why the same tire had less claims on Ranger Vs. Explorer. Firestone just needs to admit they make a cheap tire with a thin firewall.

Frey--->I think you're very right on Ranger vs Tacoma :: IBM vs Mac. (OR VHS vs Beta) :) They both aren't going away anytime soon, and do fill different niches (at least of personalities).

Smc--->Good question on tariffs. I don't know how much is built and where, but I do believe that California is the final assembly. No doubt the profits are still going over seas, and don't forget the 2-3 thousand in typical price difference. And that being practically 10% (give or take) the price of the whole truck, that more than makes up for any tariffs.

Eharri--->Don't forget peak horsepower is greater in supercharged applications, but it's definately not a flat power curve. Also, there is the parasitic drag a supercharger requires, it takes crank power to make power. But there is usually a MPG increase, and that cool sound at idle. But Toyota owners don't even want to start debating aftermarket parts availability... :)
  • Options
    navy4navy4 Member Posts: 44
    Tacoma's are assembled in Fremont, CA. I believe this frees Toyota from the tariff on imported trucks.

Also, if the tariff was removed and Toyota's did cost less, Ford would charge the amount of the tariff less also. Tariffs are protectionist in theory only. In reality, tariffs set the low end of the price scale.

Tariff = bad for consumer
  • Options
    I did a bit of searching yesterday and found a schedule of tariffs on imported goods. It seemed that imported vehicles either had a 2.5% or a 10% tariff but I could figure out which vehicles fit in which catagory and I couldn't find out if the point of final assembly mattered in determining whether or not a vehicle was considered an import.
    I will keep looking

Btw, in my area (baltimore-washington d.c.) the price difference between the ranger and tacoma is less than $2000 on the high end. It seemed that there was about a $1000 difference in MSRP between the taco I bought (with abs and security system) and the Ranger I test drove.
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I did some reading on the Eaton locker, it is a good one. If one tire were to slip it would send equal amounts of power to both rear tires, and if you were in 4 wheel drive it would send equal amounts of power to all 4 tires,good for climbing,rock climbing,mud, although I don't do that stuff I become more and more interested each time I read about offroading.
    Tarriffs, although Toyota pays Tariifs for its vehicles its still cheaper for them to build factories over here and assemble them here, rather than just ship the whole vehicle over here. Another interesting topic,it seems Toyota and Honda ,Nissan have all sorts of problems with there vehicles in there own Country but keep it totallly hush to the USA, It seems most of there money is made in the US. I read this in one of the other topics.
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Tacos are furnished with BFGoodrich's...at least that's what my white walls say. ;-)

John
  • Options
    jacobd550jacobd550 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a used 4x4 truck. I wanted to know which truck is more reliable and has a more reliable four wheel drive system between the toyota tacoma and the ford ranger.

thanks
    Jacob Davis
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Not to be too offensive, but you shouldn't lay the smack down Tony22R too much for the TSB frey.

He was only responding to your post in 1590 where you compared the Ranger's 16 TSB's to the Taco's 10. I think you were trying to make the point that Tacomas aren't as good as people think they are.

Funny, after he posted what the TSB's for the Taco were, it was suggested that we don't concentrate on TSB's.

1500 miles on my 2001 Taco. No sqeaks, rattles, shimmies, shakes or problems.
  • Options
    The Toyota is obviously the better and more reliable 4x4, however, I'm sure some of the EVIL Ranger guys may disagree. Go back and read the 10,000 or so posts in this forum and maybe you'll find your answer.
  • Options
    Wow, the Empire of Japan is keeping all of their vehicle problems secret, even from guys like me that own them. You've got to keep up the effort to get this information to the American public or we're doomed!!!! Good luck Agent Barlitz, only the Unions can save us now.

God's speed,
  • Options
    I read that in another forum, news and veiws topic. If i wanted to buy a Tacoma I would, they are Union made, I think the Japanese are some of the most ruthless people in the world, I do my best not to support that country. It wouldn't surprise me that the chinese mystery metal is actually C4 and when General Sato gets mad some day, he'll just press a button on his bicycle and blow up all the Tacoma's in the U.S. Hopefully because all you Taco owners think your trucks are so good you'll be stuck on some trails somewhere and we'll just end up with a bunch of dimples in the U.S like a golf ball.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    go to www.msn.com and find the reliability ratings under advice section. Also go right here at Edmunds and look up reliability, power, quality ratings of past Rangers and Toyotas. You will be surprised to find the Toyota doesn't hold the huge edge Toyota owners want you so badly to believe.
    4x4 system. The Ranger has a pulse vacuum system. Flip a switch your in 4 high, switch the switch again your in 4low. I have had two Rangers. My first went to 96K with no problems at all. I presently own a 98 Ranger 4x4 offroad pkg Ranger. I put a K/N charger kit, and some P265x75R16's on. I have about 43K with no problems. I live in Oregon, right by the Cascade range. I have had my truck buried in snow, and the suspension in mud and goop (only did this once it was one heck of a mess to clean up), loose soil you name it. I travel from the Coast range to the deserts of Eastern Oregon. The 4x4 system never failed on me when switching to 4high or low. The RAnger offers a limited slip diff, Toyota does not. If you plan on offroading a whole bunch and in severe, I mean really severe terrain the locker would be better that Toyota offers. I don't think you will want to take your new $24K Tacoma into places a locker is really supposed to be used.. The Ranger offers the best overall pkg for the everyday 4x4 user. More power, more torque, better rear diff, more towing. Opt for the Ranger. But, get rid of the Firejunkers and get some real offroad tires like a 31" BFG or Goodyear. This makes the whole look of the Ranger change and gives the you much better tracking.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice sentiments. I was kidding with you but I guess you really have this anti- Japan mentality to the Max. Gotta' love that Union good will.
  • Options
    smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    A good way for people to work half as hard and earn twice the pay and still have to put up with the usual BS Hierarchy! Pay dues to to support politicians that you can't stand, but have no other choice.
  • Options
    Office of Defects Investigation
    Complaints Database

Report Date: June 26, 2001 12:41:25 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ODI ID: 731922
    Make: TOYOTA TRUCK
    Model: TACOMA
    Year: 2000
    Date of Failure:
    Incident: No
    Fire: No
    Number of Injuries: 0
    Component: TIRES
    Summary: THREE WEEKS AGO I PURCHASED A 2000 TOYOTA TACOMA PRERUNNER WITH FIRESTONE 265X75X15 WILDERNESS AT TIRES ON IT. AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE I QUESTIONED THE DEALERSH

ODI ID: 559264
    Year: 1999
    Date of Failure: Wednesday, November 01, 2000
    Number of Injuries:
    Summary: FIRESTONE WILDERNESS TIRES (P225 R14) FAIL TO KEEP CONSISTENT PRESSURE AND ARE WEARING, CONSUMER HAS EXPERIENCED 3 FLAT TIRES AND IS REQUESTING THAT THE TIRES B

ODI ID: 554638
    Date of Failure: Thursday, June 01, 2000
    Number of Injuries:
    Summary: AT ABOUT 6,000 MILE THE CONSUMER NOTICED CRACKS AND CHIPS ON ALL FOUR FIRESTONE WILDERNESS AT II TIRES AND IN BETWEEN THE TREADS, CONSUMER ALSO NOTICED PREMATUR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ODI ID: 745687
    Date of Failure: Wednesday, August 18, 1999
    Summary: MY FIRESTONE WILDERNESS TIRE EXPLODED JUST AS THE OTHERS HAVE BEEN DESCRIBED. YET MY TIRE SIZE AND MANUFACTURER LOCATION IS NOT ONE THAT IS BEING RECALLED. I

Hmmm EXPLODED?!?!

The problem with the tires is running with lower pressure, nothing wrong with the vehicles. . .

OH, this is interesting. . .

ODI ID: 738253
    Year: 2001
    Date of Failure: Friday, December 01, 2000
    Component: SUSPENSION:SINGLE AXLE:REAR
    Summary: PAYLOAD RATED AT 1674/LBS ACCORDING TO THE SALES BROCHURE AND SALEMAN. WE ADVISED THE TRUCK WILL BE USED FOR DELIVERIES OF 600-1200/LBS. LOADED 800/LBS AND THE

Hmm what happened when 800 lb was loaded?
  • Options
    I was only kidding also, Unions have there places some people are for them others aren't. If it wasn't for the competition of foreign manufacturers, who knows where would be today with the American manufacturers.
  • Options
    yota01yota01 Member Posts: 6
    Yes you are correct about the 220lb-ft of torque. I gathered the info from a misprinted article. I have since checked the data with the actual engine drawings here at work. You also went on to state that 'Torque is basically a equation of rotating mass and cubic inches'. I am unsure of your cubic inches section of that comment. Torque is the product of the force measured in pounds, and a radius perpendicular to the axis of the force extending to the point where the force originates, measured in feet. Hence, lb-ft. 'Torque = Distance * Weight'. You asked about why the Horsepower = the Torque at 5250rpm, well given the equation of 'Horsepower = Torque * RPM/5250' it is pretty clear to see that when the rpm's equal 5250 it cancels out what it is being divided by, which will give you 'Torque * 1'. So at 5250rpm, 'Horsepower = Torque'. I will keep my eye open for actual acceleration numbers on the new 4.0L Ranger. That way we can have an idea of how close or far they really are, and we aren't just throwing out engine numbers, as they may not directly reflect the automobiles acceleration performance and such.
  • Options
    issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    a Tacoma if it you are O.K. with paying a little more money. Trust me, the extra money you pay up front for a Tacoma will be well worth the investment. I know Vince8 doesn't believe it, but a Taco is a more reliable (better quality) pick up truck. Also, he seems to advocate push button 4x4, but let me tell you that my Taco is also shift on the fly 4x4 but it is a shift lever and not a push button. However, you can shift from 2 high to 4 high on the fly up to 55 mph. And, you don't have to worry about any buttons breaking (the shift lever never fails). I would suggest spending a few extra $$ and really treating yourself to a quality 4x4 truck. Take care and I'll see you on the logging roads..................Steelman.
  • Options
    Gotta love the way they build these things compared to Tacoma. . . .

5 Stars vs 1 star crash rating and it shows. . .

Http://www.fordranger.com/4l/22510.html

• Options
    eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    They used a 2wd Tacoma with a lower riding frame in the crash test, so the doors were lower to the ground and incurred more damage. I guess the safety of a 4x4 is all that counts, and owners of rear drive Tacomas dont deserve to be safe?

SUPPOSEDLY unreliable '95 Ranger

72,000 miles, still running like new, dozens of 2-3 hour road trips without a single mechanical hiccup.
  • Options
    Here is the institute of highway safety's crash test results:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle%5Fratings/ce/html/summary_smpickup.htm

The result of which is that both the ranger and tacoma get an acceptable. With the taco you will probably break your left leg and your bumpers will be damaged. With the Ranger you might break your

neck depending on the head restraint.

Here is the NHTSA's crash test results:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001Pkup.html

This one shows that the ranger is a four star and the taco is a three star

• Options
    OK, that makes sense that horsepower is a equation of Torque. I was just trying to see if anyone could give me the mechanical definition on that one, because I've always seen the power curves, just no explanation as to why they always meet at that point. What I was saying with torque and cubic inches, etc, should of been more along the lines of the more stroke and bore, and rotating mass, the more torque. A stroked motor will definately out torque a stocker. But I guess that is all kinda a given.

Rangers are overall a little heavier, but its available 4.0l V6 in a regular cab vs. a v6 in Tacoma's Double cab would definitely be unfair. I drove both in 2001 trim, with automatics, and I know the Ranger had more grunt.

Issteelman->A button could break, but at least it's not a direct link to your transfer case. Which do you think would be cheaper to fix? I really don't think either are prone to failure either, because we would have heard about it here. (TSB's, spoog, something)

smc--->Actually your first link is giving the Ranger a Good Rating on neck injuries, while Tacoma is Average. Looks like it's the "head restraint design" that's marginal/poor on rangers. Of course there is a disclaimer on the left side of that page, stating that heavier vehicles fair worse in "kinetic tests" while typically fair better in real world crashes due to mass/force difference against the lighter vehicles. Another interesting note is that they tested 1998 vehicles. Check out this link for average costs to repair on 5 mph crashes...

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle%5Fratings/low_speed_smpkup.htm

• Options
    By the look of your link if I decide to hit something I should back into a pole. The front bumper is supposed to be real bad on the taco.Does anyone know if adding a grille guard protect the bumper or are they strictly for looks?

Steve Cohen
  • Options
    smc- you better weld it to the frame and reinforce it. Had one on my Nissan 4x4 and I hit a cow, the grill guard didn't get hurt, but my whole front end went right along with it, clear back to the front wheel wells.

Oh yea, had to shoot the cow, wasn't dead after I hit it doing about 50mph.
  • Options
    1busman1busman Member Posts: 33
    The last issue of Car and Driver had a road test of a Ranger edge 4X4 with an extended cab. It did 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 16.3 at 83 mph if my memory is correct. Motor Trend also had a road in last Novembers issue, I think the results were about the same. I don't recall reading anything about toyotas
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    "a button break", come on... its not a button anyway, its a switch...
    I just love the way these Toyota boys try and try to make their 190hp/220ft/lbs of torque more than the 205HP and 240ft/lbs of torque offered now in the Ranger. Just face it.. The Toyota is SECOND in HP and Torque along with its torque curve when comparing a Ranger..
    For one a vehicle no matter what make is NOT an "investment". Ask any financial planner and they won't tell you to "invest in a Tacoma" LOL!@!
    Toyota has lost its way in the value area. Tacoma's are spendy when comparing option for option to a Ranger.
    I'm hearing rumors around the net that Toyota has caved and is going to offer a limited slip diff in 2002 model year. Too bad for all those Tacoma owners that have one wheel drive! LOL!!
  • Options
    You crack me up! Let me think, hmmm. what is better 300lbs of sand or LSD that has clutches than wear out in 30,000 miles. I will go with the sand, oh wait I have four wheel drive, I guess if the roads are bad I can put in 4-hi with a simple pull of a lever. I realize it's not as easy as pushing a button, but still not very taxing. If I get one rear wheel of the ground, I push in the locker and off I go in my wonderful one wheeled million dollar pick-up that my financial advisor told me to stay away from. With my factory installed supercharger I guess I can really go one-wheelin:)
  • Options
    1busman1busman Member Posts: 33
    Let me get this straight. Your in your toyota 4X4 on a rainy/snowy day just driving down the road and your rear end is slipping and a sliding every time you leave a stop sign or light. So, you just push the button and lock up the rear-end. I thought you had to be in four low to use it and doing less than 8 mph. I'll take the limited-slip, for all around use it's much better than the locker. Ford packaged the ranger for all around usage by a wide variety of people. That's why it out sells the toyota. It's called marketing. The Ranger may not be the best truck, but it's a good one or so many people wouldn't buy them. You toyota owners have a good truck, but that doesn't mean the ranger isn't a good one either. So what if the new ranger is faster than the toyota( it is), nobody bought them to race.
  • Options
    frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    ..not because of quality. i bought a 2000 model that was 4 grand cheaper than an "equivalent" Taco. problem is, they are not "equivalent". the Taco is every bit worth the extra money, as i nou know...having numerous quality problems to numerous to mention. that's why i am trading in my Ranger to buy a new Tundra. if you want a cheap truck, get a Ranger. that's what you'll get: a cheap truck.
    if you want quality, DON'T buy a ranger. good luck.
  • Options
    your activating a switch just as a Ranger does. Only thing is you switch is not on the dash it is on the floor. Granted, it is a lever vs a knob, some, like Fourwheeler prefer a lever. But unless there is magic in the box, and gears part as they mesh, the Tacoma has the 4Hi engaged all the time and it is SELECTED with the lever, just like a Ranger.
  • Options
    Compact Crew Cab Pickup ratings.

Hmm, in order of recommendations:
    First:
    Ford Explorer Sport Trac (described as a cross between the Ranger and Explorer)
    "... well rounded vehicle in this class...Handeling, braking and acceleration are all good... uncomfortable ride and noisy engine are low points...0-30 in 3.2 cc, 0-60 9.6, 1/4 mile 17.4...took under 25 seconds to tow a 5,000 l. trailer to 60mph."

Second:
    Dodge Dakota

Third:
    Toyota Tacoma
    "... reliable workhorse but a poor choice for an everyday...vehicle...fairly refined and efficient powertrain...best fuel economy of class...On any road the Tacoma has a tiring ride...rough pavement sending sharp shocks into the cabin...feels clumsey with slow heavy steering...ungainly on the course,,,0-30 3.2 sec., 0-60 9.6 and 1/4 mile 17.4 sec....took 28.6 sec. to pull...5000 lb trailer to 60 mph."

So it took longer to get to 60 mph towing 5,000 lb for the Tacoma and the acceleration times were equal to the Ranger. . .
  • Options
    with the TRD option. . .two black circles.
  • Options
    is only good for going to Home Depot?

http://www.grapeape.rockcrawler.com/trips.htm

Is there a Home Depot at Tellico, North Carolina or just some of the finest 4 Wheeling in the east?

Case closed spoog, your wrong again!

Enjoy!

• Options
    Seems to do rather well.
  • Options
    I am looking through Toyota's Pocket Owner's Manual (the big owner's manual is in the truck)and it mentions an automatic disconnecting differential. Toyota does have an lsd as an option
  • Options
    remainedsilentremainedsilent Member Posts: 9
    I agree that Rangers are good trucks if you don't mind taking them back for a recall a few times every year.
  • Options
    remainedsilentremainedsilent Member Posts: 9
    "They really slammed the ride of the Tacoma Double Cab"
    Maybe next year the Tacoma will improve enough to compare with the Ford's "uncomfortable ride and noisy engine" .
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Toyota Tacoma 2001 pickup of the year - Fourwheeler

Toyota Tacoma - Unanimous pickup of the year over Ranger 1998- fourhweeler

Ultimate 4x4 winner in head to head contest with Hummer, Wrangler, And Range Rover- Toyota

May issue, 2001 Four Wheeler

" The ranger rattled like a rattlesnake offroad:
    -edmunds.com

" If buying a used ranger, take it for a very,very long test drive" - edmunds.com
  • Options
    remainedsilent:

Good comeback!

I think the reference was mainly directed towards the TRD package.

CR was reviewing the vehicles in the light of a passenger vehicle.

There were positive comments regarding the Tacoma in offroad situations.

spoog, by you just don't learn not to take me on:

Tacoma, a solid 3rd place in Aug 2001 Consumer Reports review, ahead of the S10 Chevy. . .

Consistainly reviewed in this manner by Consumer Reports:

-Ranger recommended by Consumer Reports as a Best Buy, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000. . .

-Ranger XL a "Top 10 Best Buy" Fourwheeler magazine 2000

-Ranger "Best 4X4 Compact P/U" Fourwheeler magazine (was 1994 or so)

From Edmunds:

WHY WE BEGAN THE MOST WANTED LIST

Our staff members get the same question over and over: What's the "best" car or truck?

There isn't a single "best" car or truck that will meet everyone's needs.

When somebody asks us what the "best" of the crop is, we respond by quizzing the inquiring mind about her needs and wants in a vehicle.

Still, readers want to know what cars and trucks we'd buy given the resources.

-Ranger, selected by Edmunds as "Most Wanted 2000 Compact P/U"

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/articles/43047/page017.html

-Ranger, selected by Edmunds as "Most Wanted 2001 Compact P/U"

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/articles/43048/page019.html

• Options
    frey44--->You said it yourself, you think you got a lemon. Why are there so many die-hard fans of the Ranger, and why are all the reviews on quality show the Ranger Just behind the Tacoma. Why are there so many Rangers on the road seeing over 150k in miles with problems so little they still are saving money vs. purchasing a Tacoma. Tacoma might show to have less problems, although statistically I can easily argue with more Rangers on the Road this figure is more diluted and inflated. ** Rangers sell because of Value, which is basically quality/price, which is way better than a Tacoma. Rangers also outsell because they offer 2-3 times more models of Rangers. Every Dick, Jane, and Harry can get what they want. You also get more truck for less money. Spend more on a Tacoma, and spend more to add all the standards you can find in the Ranger and you will be out of pocket for "aparant" statistically less problems. That's the other side of the argument you are presenting.

smgilles->Is it factory, and how much boost? I'm also curious on any MPG increase you may be getting...

smc/smgilles-->Those grill guards are only as good as where they connect. If they connect to the bumper supports, or just weak front frame rails, they do little but add more mass to the front. Like smgilles said, the grill guard will probably be fine, but the whole front frame or engine bay will be in trouble.

remainedsilent->Interesting what you say about Ford's and Recalls. Never had to take mine in, EVER.

Great Dane--->How's the new truck? Haven't heard much from you lately.
  • Options
    issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    Do you work for Ford Motor Company? Because if you don't, you really should. All your posts really have me believing that the Ranger is much better than the Tacoma. Shame on me for spending a little bit more for the same quality vehicle. I must be stupid. And too think, I could have had the same truck for a cheaper price. Do you honestly believe that? You must, because you are the one that said you'd choose a free Ranger over a free Tacoma with similar options. Hum, does that make sense? Or, how about the Ford dealership (that also deals Toyotas) that I went to that told me they felt the Toyota Tacoma was a better vehicle. Do they know what they are talking about? Or, how about my local mechanic who told me he rarely sees Toyotas but sees a lot of Ford's with problems and recommended the Taco over the Ranger. He must be a complete idiot. Or, what about my friend who's owned both and told be he had better reliability with the Tacoma. He must have lost his mind. I don't know, you tell me. I need to be enlightened I guess. I still believe, despite your rhetoric, that the slightly more expensive Tacoma is a better vehicle. Shame on me for thinking that you (oftentimes) get what you pay for. See you in the mud............Steelman.
  • Options
    Yes it is factory, the Supercharger acts as an air compressor pump allowing the 3.4 liter engine to "breathe" as if it displaced about 4.8 liters with the throttle fully opened, resulting in a power increase (265 hp vs. 190 hp). This increase remains evident over the full rpm range, the first generation superchargers didn't help much below 2000rpms, one of the improvements of the second generation.

My gas mileage varies, if I stay out of it and drive rational I see an increase in gas mileage
    (on the interstate), if I have a lead foot (in town) like I did when I first got it my mileage dropped on average 1-2mpg. I have to admit it is hard not to zoom everywhere:)

I have been very pleased with it (pretty quick for a compact pick-up). Some guy in a full size dodge dropped a brick in his pants after I went right around him. He asked me at the next light what I was running and I told him Toyota had put a new v-8 for the Tacoma. You have to love ignorance (now I know why he was in a Dodge). The best part is that Toyota will cover the supercharger for 60month/60,000 miles just like the rest of the powertrain.
  • Options
    In order to get the rear locker to opperate while the vehicle is NOT in 4wd low here is all you need to do: locate the 4wd control ECU behind the drivers side kick pannel. Find the grey wire that plugs into the 4wd ECU at pin number 8. Cut the grey wire somewhere near the ECU so you can run a new ground wire to it. There is a grounding bolt closely located that worked good for me. Just leave the end of the grey wire that goes back into the wiring harness so it's an open circuit. This allows the locker to operate at any time provided the vehicle speed criteria for the locker is still met. So you don't have to be in 4lo.
  • Options
    What I was simply saying was that if it's rainy I am never concerned about slipping, if it's snowing I have 300lbs of sand in the back of my truck and if it is real bad I put it in 4 wheel drive. I have owned a lot of one-wheeled drives (as Vince puts it) and I have yet to have a problem being stuck or getting stuck or spinning out. I do think Rangers are miles above Dodge and Chevy, I just don't like the risk you run of getting a bad one (ask Frey) and then I have to deal with the dealership for the life of the truck. My dad is a Ford man and trust me I get an earful everytime I go home.
This discussion has been closed.