2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

A/C compressor still operate while it's freezing cold outside

lvanproosdijlvanproosdij Member Posts: 4
edited December 2021 in Ford
Hello,
The A/C compressor is supposed to only operate when outside air temperatures are above approximately 45 ̊F (7 ̊C).
But this winter I just realized that A/C compressor is still running while temperatures outside are way below 45 ̊F (7 ̊C), it's freezing outside.
I can hear the A/C clutch and radiator fan turning ON. They regularly turn OFF a few seconds and then turns ON again.
What can be faulty to keep A/C compressor operating below 45 ̊F (7 ̊C) ?
Temperature is correctly displayed inside the car, but I don’t know if the display and the A/C are using the same temperature sensor.
Thanks for your help.
Louis

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,674

Hello,
    The A/C compressor is supposed to only operate when outside air temperatures are above approximately 45 ̊F (7 ̊C).
    But this winter I just realized that A/C compressor is still running while temperatures outside are way below 45 ̊F (7 ̊C), it's freezing outside.
    I can hear the A/C clutch and radiator fan turning ON. They regularly turn OFF a few seconds and then turns ON again.
    What can be faulty to keep A/C compressor operating below 45 ̊F (7 ̊C) ?
    Temperature is correctly displayed inside the car, but I don’t know if the display and the A/C are using the same temperature sensor.
    Thanks for your help.
    Louis

A/C compressor removes humidity from the cabin. Without it running, your windows would fog up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

A/C compressor removes humidity from the cabin. Without it running, your windows would fog up.

Ford manual says "NOTE: The A/C compressor will only operate when outside air temperatures are above approximately 45 ̊F (7 ̊C).".

I've read it's to prevent A/C to freeze and get damaged.

So, it should not operate above approximately 45 ̊F (7 ̊C).
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,674

kyfdx said:

Ford manual says "NOTE: The A/C compressor will only operate when outside air temperatures are above approximately 45 ̊F (7 ̊C).".

I've read it's to prevent A/C to freeze and get damaged.

So, it should not operate above approximately 45 ̊F (7 ̊C).
    When you put your ventilation system in DEFROST mode, your a/c will come on, regardless.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

When you put your ventilation system in DEFROST mode, your a/c will come on, regardless.

I understand, but I'm not in DEFROST mode and the A/C keeps running.