Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    tromboneboytromboneboy Member Posts: 12
    OK, I'm responding to my own post, but I thought I'd copy and paste a helpful link comparing the mileage of all 2004 Hyundai vehicle models:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Hyundai2004.shtml

This looks to be what the sticker has on it from looking at mine.

The interesting thing about the data is that it appears the 2.4L 4 cyl. and 2.7L 6 cyl. have essentially the same mileage city & highway - assuming you have 2WD in the 2.7L (not 4WD).

I also learned that you can get the 4 speed automatic with the 2.4L engine as well, so that would make it at least 8 trim lines. I have a feeling it is more than that...
  • Options
    hesprahespra Member Posts: 2
    Test drove the Santa Fe. Reading here for consumer's opinion about this SUV. Wondering if the sunroof leakage is a common problem.
    Appreciate any input.
    Thanks
  • Options
    collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    We have the 2.7L GLS with a sunroof. We only have 2000 miles on it but it has been in several good rain storms. No leaking on the sunroof.
  • Options
    moonlitbluemoonlitblue Member Posts: 7
    It ended up taking exactly 1,300 miles for my 3.5's computer to adjust and for the car to start off smoothly and for me to think "this car drives great," so the possible 3,000 mile number the mechanic gave me was high--maybe a worst-case scenario.

There is a professional driving review I saw somewhere on the net (no recall of the organization) that mentioned not liking the hesitation factor with the 3.5. I read that after I bought the car.

Cold-starts in the morning are not always as smooth--sometimes a very slight chug while driving like the fuel isn't feeding right. That stops after a couple blocks. I'm just going to wait until I get the oil changed to mention it. I don't want my car "perfect" or else something will go wrong with the house (seems like if it isn't one, it's the other).
  • Options
    hesprahespra Member Posts: 2
    thanks collins14. I live in a webfoot area and rain is definately a consideration in sunroof.
    Appreciated your response.
  • Options
    azguy77azguy77 Member Posts: 6
    Saw a story on 20/20 or Dateline concering black boxes that are installed on some cars. Does anyone know if there is a box on the Hyundai? Any way to verify this? Thoughts?
  • Options
    santefesantefe Member Posts: 3
    I bought the GLS model with the new 3.5 liter 6 cylinder engine with front wheel drive for about $21500,,,,,,great auto
  • Options
    santefesantefe Member Posts: 3
    Bought the GLS with the new 3.5 liter 6 cylinder engine,FWD,love the auto.Any feedback with the gas mileage??
  • Options
    rebeccahrebeccah Member Posts: 5
    i think i am getting a great deal!

It is a 2003 program car, black, w/ 14K miles. It is the 2.7L "LX" fully loaded. I LOVE it. 4 Wh drive. Leather heated seats, sun roof, running boards ... the works. They said new it was $26K. He gave me a price of $22,500. Today they accepted $20K even. Comes w/ teh 5yr, 60,ooo mile warranty.

Do you think i am getting an ok deal? Thanks! Rebecca
  • Options
    Awesome info! Thanks!
  • Options
    Thats funny. I have a freind who has the Highlander & she does NOT like it. Says she feels like she is in a dreaded ... MINI VAN! ;)
  • Options
    One more ??? Should i buy an extended warranty? I was told by someone that it is a good idea, if i can buy it up to 100K miles for no more than $1000. Does this sound right? I am SO clueless ... what exactly should i ask for? THANKS! Rebecca
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    While you're waiting for responses, here's some links:

Warranty Tips

Extended Warranties

Steve, Host
  • Options
    We have a minivan but now find ourselves taking the Santa Fe even when the whole family goes somewhere (two very young kids with stroller/diaper stuff, etc.) because this vehicle has such a nice, solid-feeling, smooth ride.
  • Options
    skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    Rebecca,

A loaded LX AWD, as you describe, is valued at 22-24K retail. So, yes, I think you're getting a very good deal.

Keep in mind, if you haven't commited yet, you could get a brand new LX with a 3.5 liter engine and all the goodies for around $23K with the current incentives and some dickering. Plus the fact you'd get the factory 100K/10 Year warranty and 50K/5 year bumper to bumper and road service for that.
  • Options
    golfingnutgolfingnut Member Posts: 1
    I have an LX with the 3.5. My first tankfull got 20.2 mpg; the second tankfull got 22.0 mpg. Working on my third tank now. If I can average 22, I'll be really happy. After all, the 3.5 is pretty powerful with all that torque. I've found that I can eliminate the jackrabbit starts by easing down on the accelerator until the car starts to move, then pressing down on the accelerator normally... left a little rubber around town while I got used to it! Try this and let me know if it works for you.
  • Options
    smilin_eyessmilin_eyes Member Posts: 3
    I have a 3.5 just to 1300 miles my last tank got 21 mpg. I love this vehicle
  • Options
    and how it compares to some of the other vehicles of this size? I'm satisfied with it but just curious.
  • Options
    OK, I finally have a couple of mileage numbers for my 2.7L 4WD 2004 model. My weekly work commute, etc. is mostly highway, and I tried to take the tank down to at least 1/8 full.

The first one was 24.3 mpg (303 miles), and the second one was 25.5 mpg (340 miles). I think the cruising range is at least 400 miles, as the fuel tank capacity is 19 gallons. I was putting in around 13 gallons each time. I've now got around 4300 miles on the vehicle.

Even though Consumer Reports got 18 mpg offically, I haven't seen anyone get less than 20 mpg - even with the 3.5L, so not bad at all.

One thing I noticed is that my dome light in back isn't always coming on when I lift the rear door (switch *is* in the center). I should go over to the "troubles" forum I guess. I'm still really happy with the purchase.
  • Options
    I kept the printouts from Edmunds "reviews & specs" when I was on my small SUV search, and here's a summary (I guessing that "luggage capacity" is with the rear seats up and ready for passengers):

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe:
    Luggage Capacity = 30.5 cu. ft
    Max. Cargo Capacity = 78 cu. ft

2004 Ford Escape:
    Luggage Capacity = 33.1 cu. ft
    Max. Cargo Capacity = 65 cu. ft

2005 Chevy Equinox:
    Luggage Capacity = 35.2 cu. ft
    Max. Cargo Capacity = 69 cu. ft

2004 Honda CR-V
    Luggage Capacity = 33.5 cu. ft
    Max. Cargo Capacity = 72 cu. ft

My Take: The Sante Fe has the least amount of space with the seats accessible, but the most room to haul cargo when the seats are pushed down (which is good for me).
  • Options
    Sounds good! Thanks for the info.

A girl here at work often has 4 golfers and 4 bags of golf clubs in hers, so I guess that speaks well of the cargo space, too.
  • Options
    wateryearwateryear Member Posts: 7
    According to carsdirect, the popular choices for Santa Fes are:
    Engine
    2.7L V-6 173 31%
    3.5L V-6 200 28%
    2.4L I-4 138 18%
    3.5L V-6 195 12%
    2.4L I-4 149 8%
    So is the 3.5L V-6 engine 195 horses or 200? Anyone knows how to find out?
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    My wife and I have started the process of choosing her next vehicle, and one of her choices on the "short list" is the Santa Fe (LX, AWD, 3.5L).

In doing my comparisons, I noticed something odd, and am looking for confirmation from other Santa Fe owners.

Is it true that the Santa Fe does not come with any sort of side airbags (either seat-mounted or side curtain airbags)? Does anyone know if this will be addressed in the "refresh" for 2005?

Thanks.
  • Options
    richardkrichardk Member Posts: 7
    My 2004 base model Santa Fe has side airbags as standard equipment. I believe all new Santa Fes have them.
  • Options
    lildevil5763lildevil5763 Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
     New to the board, but was looking into a new Santa Fe or maybe the Honda CRV? I am so confused and know that I might loose out on the incentatives after today.

Does anyone think that the incentatives will carry over into October for the 2004 models? Seems like there are lots of both still on dealers lots but checking inventory on the internet. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Also does anyone know about the NADA guides for trade-in values and do any dealers use this or is it strictly blue book values? Thanks a bunch
  • Options
    We seem to be hooked on incentives and it's going to be hard for the manufacturers to stop offering them. Buy maybe Hyundai will be the first.

Dealers may have a drawer full of books - I think the banks tend to use NADA more.

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    lildevil5763lildevil5763 Member Posts: 2
    Steve:
      Thanks for the Welcome!

So, I might have missed out on the INCENTATIVES?

Don't think I could afford one without it. Trying to trade in my 2002 Monte Carlo SS, I love my Monte, need more room and need 4 doors. Very impressed with the Hyundai and the Warranty.

Thanks again
  • Options
    I really doubt that you've missed out on incentives, but who knows. Hyundai may decide to rely on its warranty to drive traffic to the dealers. It'll take us a few days or so to get new incentive info posted.

Incentives & Rebates: Hyundai Santa Fe Styles

Steve, Host
  • Options
    rebkatdixrebkatdix Member Posts: 3
    Hi I just purchased a 2004 Santa Fe, 2.7 GLS. I negotiated for a long time and got a resonable deal I thought, 21607.00. But I just read the window sticker in detail and it says in the Shipped to section, **SERVICE LOANER* DO NOT SELL**. Has any one ever seen this before? Any suggestions on what I should do? We have had the car for a week and have put about 300 miles on it. It had 181 when we drove off the lot. Also it is making a distinct clunking thud sound when we drive away from a parked position in drive. Not doing it in reverse, only in drive. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks-Rebecca
  • Options
    Went to a dealership today. Saw 04 Santa Fes with antenna on the roof. However I also remember some SF have invisible antennas on the rear windows. So is it indicative of a different model?
  • Options
    collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    Our 04 SF has the antenna on the rear window.

The SF has a side airbag that extends up to also cover the head area for the front seat passengers. This was very important to me when we were shopping for cars. If you look back in this discussion to April(I think), I asked the same question. Someone had replied with an excellent link showing the inside of a SF with the side airbag deployed.
  • Options
    davidkeith37davidkeith37 Member Posts: 30
    Been through the first fillup experience and now have had the first flat event. The included lug wrench worked well enough but I use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs nuts to the proper ft-lbs.None of my metric sockets fit, too, big or too small and I ended up using a 13/16 spark plug deep socket I usually use on a Dodge van. 13/16 converts to 20.6 mm which leads to my question. Are the lug nuts on a 2004 Santa Fe fwd, 2.4 L actually 13/16 or is it either a 20 or 21 mm metric size?
  • Options
    dawnsatxdawnsatx Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

I'm new to these forums and just bought a 2004 GLS FWD 3.5L on Friday. There is a $1750 rebate offered now until Nov 1st. There is also a Military Discount (additional $500 discount). Just wanted to let you know! :)
  • Options
    tonybenbrooktonybenbrook Member Posts: 1
    My last 5 cars were Toyota, but I became increasingly disappointed with the quality, especially after replacing steering racks on two Camrys. Three months ago, I purchased a 2004 Santa Fe 2.7L. I can't be more pleased with the appearance, performance or cargo space. When it's time to replace my remaining Toyota, it will definitely be with another Hyundai! What a perfect SUV!
  • Options
    I am having a great time riding my 04 santa fe. However, two things bother me:

1. The fog light can be on only when the low beam is on;
    2. No day-time running light.

Is it possible to have the fog light adjusted so it can operate independently? That way it can be used as day-time running light if necessary. And will the dealer be willing to do it as 'free adjustment' within first 12 month period?
  • Options
    skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    My wife's Santa Fe has "daytime running lights", sorta. She simply sets the stalk control to headlights on and whenever she fires the truck up the lights are on. They shut off automatically when you remove the key from the ignition and open the door.

As for the fog lights, there's a way to get around that by adding some wiring, but they should shut off when your hi-beams are on. There's no purpose to them then, other than blinding other drivers.
    Do a google search for Santa Fe owners and check out tips on the resulting sites.
  • Options
    harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    Is it possible to have the fog light adjusted so it can operate independently? That way it can be used as day-time running light if necessary. And will the dealer be willing to do it as 'free adjustment' within first 12 month period?

There are aftermarket kits you can purchase to operate the 'fog' lights independent of the headlamps. At <http://www.santafemods.com/> there is a mod to change the 'fog' lights to operate with the parking lamps, instead of the headlamps.

The dealer will charge you, as this is not a 'quicky adjustment'.

• Options
    Thanks so much Skuuter and harry31. The link is very helpful.

As I look through the photos on hyundainews.com, it seems 05 Santa Fe has its antenna on the roof instead on the side window. Maybe the change was done also for late 04 models. Also a few more features are added inside the cabin as well.
  • Options
    mlsphdmlsphd Member Posts: 26
    My '04 LX purchased mid august has a roof antenna.
  • Options
    teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe GLS 3.5L. I believe that when you turn on the defrost mode the A/C goes on automatically, whether the A/C button is on or not on. At least that was the way it worked when a first purchased the car. The car manual states on page 87 that the A/C starts automatically when in defrost mode. The local Hyundai dealer (Manhattan Hyundai) told me that you have to activate the A/C manually. Anyone know how it works?
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    AC will come on as soon as you turn the defrost on. There is nothing you need to do. Sounds like you found a new salesperson.
  • Options
    teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    Unfortunately it wasn't a sales person but the head of the service department. Basically they didn't want to fix the problem and brushed me off. I contacted Hyundai spoke, to a guy named Brian, who called Man. Hyundai spoke to the guy that told me I was "mistaken", and said that he was correct and that I was wrong. I think that I will recall Hyundai and ask for someone higher up to resolve this problem.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's refrain from naming names. Thanks!

tidester, host
  • Options
    skagwaypilotskagwaypilot Member Posts: 18
    In reading these discussions, I've learned that the engine/transmission computer 'learns' the driving habits of the owner and programs responses accordingly. My question:
    What if two people with distinctly different driving styles share the car?? How does the computer respond?
  • Options
    frustrated2frustrated2 Member Posts: 28
    Hello. I am not sure whether anyone can answer my question or not. I am looking to purchase a sante fe "04 wanted GLS v6 2.7 FWD. Thinking there would be better deals towards end of '04 only to find out I waited to long and no one has FWD left...hmm..so now test driving AWD which feels a little more "truckie" drive to me. Well, I still like the vehicle but now into negotiating. This paricular dealorship does not seem willing to negotiate on their price for '04. In fact their 04 price on AWD was higher than their price of 05 FWD (now i do realize the price difference between AWD and FWD but again its an 04. They are less overall than other dealors but again its an 04 and I know their are "hidden cost" ie advertising shipping and handling (which these 2 were printed out to see) but also this car has been on their lot since march 04 so now we are talking about manufactorer to dealer incentives etc for saling vehicle. Please tell me am I wrong for thinking they can will and deal a little more or should i be paying price they offer (which was the same price offered this summer except now 0% financing). Again I am female and feel they are trying to screw me. Sorry. the price offered was 24,7... for 04 v6 2.7 AWD, moonlight blue, with moonroof, tow hitch, crossbars, with cost of adding step bars. Please ANYONE that can help me by SUNDAY night would be great. I currently have the vehicle overnight.
  • Options
    Is there a pressing need that you have to buy a car this weekend (i.e., is your current car sitting up on blocks in the driveway <g>)?

It's hard to make assumptions from a simple post on Edmunds, but it sounds like you have a touch of car fever.

Cars are a commodity item and there'll be another good deal on another Santa Fe next week or the week after. If you can adopt a take it or leave it/business-like attitude with the dealer, you should be able to get a better deal with less hassle. Especially since you are negotiating on a car that will immediately incur a year's worth of depreciation as soon as you leave the lot.

But if you gotta have it right now, we understand that too :-)

Check out the deals in the Hyundai Santa Fe: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion as well.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    For a 04 model, I think it is way overpriced. You should be looking at at least 4000$ below MSRP for that car because it has options (sunroof, tow hitch, crossbars etc.) which dealers are making additional money.

We bought a GLS 3.5L FWD in 09/04 with 4600$ below MSRP, although we had to pay 700$ for dealer installed stuff.

I would check out other places to get the right price.
  • Options
    carsdirect.com offers 3200$$ below MSRP for 04 AWD 2.7L. And usually dealers offer similar or deeper discount than carsdirect.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Keep in mind all of the numbers being quoted here include rebates. The reason the price you are being offered now is the same as what they offered previously is because that is the least they are willing to sell the car for. The savings that you will get because of the 0% is substantial compared to standard financing. If the price is too high you should compare at another dealer, or find a different car.
  • Options
    frustrated2frustrated2 Member Posts: 28
    Steve,
    Thanks for responding. My current vehicle has 183K on it so I was hoping to purchase a vehicle before the end of the year. I did a LOT of research on purchasing vehicle so I guess the reason I am so upset is because I know they are able to go below the stated price and they are not budging. The other problem is they are the best price around me right now. I checked every dealor ship within 1-2 hrs. This place has exactly what I want except it is AWD instead of FWD which is ok. Again, just upset because I know they can go lower. So right now I am thinking about a used one or going with GMC vehicle (get GM discount). Just looking new because of the warranties.
    I am proud because I did a leave it attitude. I took the SUV overnight went in and stated this is the price I want to pay, they said no, I walked out. Problem is they have the vehicle, I dont.
    So still searching :)
    thanks again