Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Graham, does the name Kluger have any particular meaning where you are? All I can think of is, if you put two dots (an umlaut) over the "u" you have the German word meaning "more intelligent."
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Unfortunately Kluger seems to mean Kruger (as in the South African currency) pronounced with a Japanese accent. At least that is the running joke here. Unfortunately Hyundai have a model or trim level called Highlander registered in Australia so we get the name used in Japan.

I have to say that over the years Australia has copped some duff car names from Japan. Famously, Nissan called one saloon the Cedric, a name with overtones of homosexuality, or at least of foppishness, to Australians. A motoring journalist suggested that car would not sell well because the name was "a bit poofy" . This did not translate easily so the interview went on:

Nissan MD: "What is poofy? I don't know the word"

Journo: "You know, homosexual!"

MD: "You have many homosexuals in Australia?"

Journo: "Yes!"

MD: "Well, we well sell many cars!"

Nissan MD 1, Journo Nil in that encounter.

I have just gone and done the deal getting about 15 off the retail price and a few accessories thrown in. Not absolutely cut-throat but I believe that motor traders need to make enough profit to eat if you want them to be there next year.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    salssals Member Posts: 1
    hi

i live in n.e and i own a 2001 highlander limited.

just wondering if anybody out there is having problems stopping in the snow with the highlander.

i have new tires and i still slip all over the place when applying the brakes.just wondering if it could be the abs system that is the problem.does anybody have any ideas why i am sliding when i apply the brakes.

thanks
  • Options
    edhedh Member Posts: 246
    When will the model be out?

Did you see it at an auto show in the East Village?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    You should be able to hear ABS when it kicks and and probably feel some feedback in the brake pedal also.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the 2005 Hybrid Toyota Highlander discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    We also have 2001 Limited. It does not stop or corner well in the snow. AWD great for getting going in snow but at least with the original Bridgestone tires it is just another heavy truck when stopping or cornering (the ABS cuts in very quickly, but doesn't seem to help overmuch except in straightline stopping). Remember it is over 4000#'s and drove accordingly. I experienced this in Maine and here in West Virginia.
  • Options
    Thanks,Graham. Do you remember when GM tried to market the Nova in South America and people didn't buy it in large numbers because the name means "won't go" in Spanish?

In regard to stopping in snow, I have the 2004 FWD 4-cylinder and am pleased with how it handles in the snow in general. It's not the best FWD car I have owned in terms of snow (that would be the '77 and '79 Honda station wagons), but it's not the worst ('88 Renault Medallion). It stops and corners well. I have felt the ABS kick in maybe a half dozen times so far, but only for a few seconds each time. ABS isn't designed to do anything except help with straight stopping. Maybe the dealer could check to see if your cornering skid control feature (VSC) is working properly?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's a funny tale, but the Nova story is an urban legend. (Snopes.com)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Well, that's more than I ever wanted to know about the history of the Nova. Thanks for setting the record straight.
  • Options
    edhedh Member Posts: 246
    Yes

Nova

Falcon

Cavalier

Citation

some rally bland machines
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Just thought some might like to know - just bought a 2001 Highlander 4-cyl. from the original owner. Happy to report that it has plenty of power for me and my stuff, and can cruise at 80 mph just fine. Got about 22mpg on the first tank, with mixed driving. I am very happy I saved a few thou versus the V-6, and will save many gallons of gas and the premium-gas price. Thanks, herzogtum71 and others.

It seems almost impossible that this vehicle is this quick. Yesterday, pulling out of a shopping center, I spun one front tire for about 30 feet! If you look at the specs, the V-6 has 50% more torque than the I-4. Based on the 4-cyl performance, this should translate into sport-car acceleration for the V-6! Since it doesn't, I've got a theory as to why. Example - a few folks have taken their 2.4L 4-cyl. Honda Accords and CR-V's into Dyno shops, and found over 160Hp at the wheels! This translates into 175-180Hp at the flywheel! Also, equivalent 4-cyl. Honda CR-V's are just about as quick as 200 Hp Ford Escapes. So it's clear that Honda is under-rating the 2.4L engine. I think Toyota is doing the same with their 2.4L, to sell more V-6's in Camry and Highlanders.

I bought a G Tech Performance Meter (www.gtechpro.com) over the holidays, and will post a 0-60 time in a few days. I'm also going to Las Vegas this week, and will give a 600 mile report on fuel economy at a steady 80 mph. As well as the results of the El Cajon Pass high-speed climb.
  • Options
    dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    Hello,

I am planning on buying a used 2WD Highlander, 4 CYLINDER ( 2.4L engine)

Did not see too many comments and reviews on 4 cyl. Anyone could offer any input on this?

Thank you in advance!

Dan
  • Options
    If you search under "cylinder" in this discussion and in the Problems & Solutions discussion, you will find a number of posts about the 4-cylinder -- how much pep they have, how they drive, etc. People who have them are happy with them, almost without exception. I now have driven mine for 12,000 miles and just had the lowest mpg for a tankful yet at 20.1 mpg, mostly in-town driving with temperatures often at zero or below. On the highway in warmer weather I have surpassed 27 mpg on a couple of tanks.
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Welcome to the forum. I've posted a few items myself on the 4-cyl. as I was researching. Learning to use the Search This Discussion feature is a key tool for you, or anyone just coming to Edmunds.com. If you look at the post just before your first one, you'll see my own comments on my first week of ownership of a 2002 Highlander 4-cylinder. I live in pretty hilly terrain, so I was worried about the power. Not any more. More info to follow.
  • Options
    wzzzzwzzzz Member Posts: 1
    choose between v6 and 4 wheel drive. need suggestions? Thanks
  • Options
    snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    I can't find anything in the owner's manual about checking the transmission fluid. I have an '01 AWD V6 limited. Usually the fluid is checked with warm engine, after running the gear selector through the gears a couple of times (although I have seen a vehicle that calls to lookk at the fluid while in Drive with the emergency brake on) and check the level with the engine running. Can anyone inform me of the correct way to check the fluid?? Also, I can find no mention of when to chenge the fluid in the Maintenance Guide (all the way up to 120K). Is this correct?? No fluid change for the transmission in at least the first 120K miles?? Any enlightenment would be welcome.
  • Options
    rpell46rpell46 Member Posts: 15
    I have an '03, 4cyl. 4wd. My driving requires a "Jack-of-all-trades" type of vehicle....from short-hops in NYC to the mountains of upstate, to driving south and southwest on long trips.

Although the full time 4wd does detract from the mph, (16 city, 24 highway),....in inclement weather and adverse driving like muddy dirt roads, it's a God-send. The 4cyl. is surprisingly peppy and does beautifully at highway cruising speeds, (for me that's 75-80)on long trips. I don' tow, but loaded with luggage and my Lab & Golden in the back, the mountains pose no problems. On the highest, longest hills, the 4 banger jumps to 4200rpm MAXIMUM, once in a while but is usually downshifting to about 3800.

So far, my wife and I are extremely happy with this vehicle and not being youngsters, appreciate the comfort and roominess of the interior as well.

The best advise I can offer is for you to identify your actual needs, temper them with your "wants" and find a happy medium.

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    G'day

Had the Kluger for a week and first full tank of fuel returned 12.4 l/100km. One question. Is the Average fuel economy reset by opening the fuel door or by resetting the trip meter on the dashboard?

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    "Is the Average fuel economy reset by opening the fuel door or by resetting the trip meter on the dashboard?"

I'm pretty sure it's tripped by the fuel door or cap. I'm sure I've reset the trip meter without affecting the average mpg readout.
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Yes it is reset via the fuel cap.
  • Options
    G'day

Thanks for the feedback.

As th kilometers build, I am starting to wind the Kluger out a bit and am pleasantly surprised by the performance. After enjoying the driving pleaseure of a Subaru for the past five and a half years, I am a bit spoilt. The Kluger is not as fun to drvie but there are other compensations. I must say that all the electronics are proving wonderful. There is much about the Kluger that you only really appreciate as you settle in with the vehicle. I really like the audible warnings for the parking brake an door open.

Achieved 12.4l/100km on first tank full and second tankfull is a bit worse at presnet.

More later

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    ken7707ken7707 Member Posts: 13
    Hi Everyone,

Is there a difference in the feel of the ride between the HL Limited with 17 inch tires and the standard HL with 16 inch tires?

Do the 17 inch tires give a little bit smoother ride?

Thanks
  • Options
    sitara24sitara24 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 02 Limited 4WD (it says 4WD not AWD in the back). The salesman says it has VSC, the VSC light and also light for slippery road in the dash board come on when I turn on the engine. Does this mean my Highlander has VSC and if it does how does it work? We got some snow recently, I purpose slide the vehicle to see if the slippery road or the VSC sign comes on, nothing comes on. Can anyone explain how the VSC work?
  • Options
    VSC should kick in if the computer determines the car isn't going where you want it to go. It does this by comparing the steering wheel angle with the output of the yaw sensor.

You should be able to activate it in a big, empty, snow covered parking lot. Drive at 30 mph or so in a straight line and try to do a quick lane change-type manuever. The slippery road light should come on and I think you'll hear a beep too.
  • Options
    georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    The 16 inch wheels will give you a smoother ride. When they refer to 16 or 17, they are referring to the rims, not the tires. The 16" rims are designed for the Highlander and will give you a smoother ride.
  • Options
    2728zimmern2728zimmern Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking of buying a new HL v6 AWD, but I have a few questions. Has anybody really experinced the hesitation problem? Also, I know Toyota recommends Premium Gas with the V6, but is it really necessary? I've also heard people complain about the cupholders, but are they really that bad? I can't imagine cupholders being such a big problem. Thanx.
  • Options
    michaelp1michaelp1 Member Posts: 14
    Just bought my V6 AWD last month, right before the blizzard. While not a smart move timing wise, the HL and I had to learn each other real fast under tough conditions, and it did great. The HL has a nice feel to it, with very good visiblity.

Might have had the first "hesitation" problem this morning when entering a highway and some guy came over to the right lane which left me with no running room - had to get on from nearly a dead stop, and there was a slight hesitation when hitting the gas hard, but it was for a nano second before it kicked in. Entered with no problem and plenty of room to spare given the power once it got going. If you read the posts, that's the type of situation most people (who have experienced it) will report it. I'm sensitive to it, so maybe I was more aware of it. But I've had other cars that would sometimes need a slight moment to kick in, and it didn't seem to be any different than those. Plus, within a second the power of the HL will make up in distance for that lost moment.

Cupholders - lots in the back! There seems to be some waste of space for front storage, including a gap on the floor under the center console. And there's this tiny ashtray which is a waste for me (non-smoker); if it was just a bit bigger than it would be perfect for a cell phone!

Premium gas not required, tho from some posts it might improve mileage slightly. The only gripe so far is mileage - first few tanks only about 15 mpg (with the worst part being reminded by my wife that we should have gottent the 4cyl.).

The only other annoyance with Toyota is the availability of limited packages depebding on the region you live in. When you look at Edmunds and other sites, you think you can pick and choose the options you want. However, if the region packages do not match, than you have to order custom made and that can take a long time.

Good luck.
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Toyota does not "recommend" premium gas with the V6. It states that 87 octane is fine. They go on to add that if you wish increased performance you can go to 91 octane. I use nothing but 87 in my '04 and it performs perfectly and there is no knocking. This is opposed to two other cars I have had; a VW GTI and a Jaguar XType. Both "require" premium fuel.
  • Options
    Have only used regular or occasionally mid-grade in our '04 V6. No noticeable difference in performance or mileage. 15 mpg around town is about what we're seeing. Have gotten 22+ on extended highway drives cruising around 75 mph. I wouldn't give up the extra power for a couple more mpg.

I would call the hesitation problem a slow downshift. I've experienced it but it hasn't caused a problem. I don't think it's any worse than my '00 Olds V6.

Never gave a thought to the cupholders. The two in the console are just fine for 20 oz water bottles which is about all we ever need them for.
  • Options
    jackmick656jackmick656 Member Posts: 61
    Own an 03 HL V6 and I live in the very hot low desert of So Cal. I use 87 octane in the winter and vary between 89 and 91 in the summer months.
  • Options
    I have started to shop around here in Connecticut and I have discovered that darn Regional Options package program that Toyota has in place!

It is really a turn-off for me!

I am in no hurry to buy, so ordering one would be ok too...But two Salespersons told me that they can't do much about the Options Packages. Maybe a few tweaks depending on what base package I want...

They told me that I have very little room to add my own Options from what Toyota offers to my region.

You pay enough, you would think you could order the Vehicle that you want...

I am going to call Toyota USA to voice my displeasure!!!
  • Options
    Complexity adds cost and reduces quality. Toyota (and Honda even more so) have determined what the most popular combinations are and that's what they offer. That's just one of the many reasons they are doing so much better than the guys in Detroit.
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Actually, the dealers have the biggest input in the options offered in their regions. Forcing some of the options such as "desert protection package" is a way for them to pad the bottom line. Some are not available from one region to another.

Pulte Homes (nations largest builder) is now doing this with homes. Putting the favorite options in and offering very few outside of the base price. Great for the company....not so great for the consumer.
  • Options
    commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    Does anybody know where the air filter is on the 04 Highlander V6? Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    rust1rust1 Member Posts: 13
    The cabin filter is behind the glove box on my '05. The engine air filter is under the hood. Good luck....
  • Options
    vatrojanvatrojan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 HL LTD with FWD and 31K miles. I've been running Exxon 87 since the day I purchased the vehicle new. The engine runs like a watch. I also switched to Mobil 1 oil at the first 3,000 oil change interval, now change every 10,000 miles. I plan to use the Mobil 1 Extended at the next change and will change my oil once per year.

The best upgrade of all is to chuck the Goodyear Integrity OEM tires and switch to Michelin Cross Terrains. Wow!
  • Options
    We have two Collies that we want to take with us on trips...

We would use crates for them when we travel and I was wondering if anyone has used the HL for your Dogs, and if the crates fit into the back and how it works out for you...

I'm wondering if the HL will fit the two crates into the back without any problems...

The crates we have are about 38 inchs long and about 28 inches wide for each Dog crate.

Thanks!
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    It was turn off for me as well. In MA and possibly in all of New England, a 2004 4 cyl Highlander could not be had with the 3rd row seat. It's nice for use when I sometimes have extra people or kids to lug around on short trips.

Also can't get side airbags on a lower end model
  • Options
    It's just a fraction over 38" between the wheel wells. You'll need to fold the 2nd row seat down. I would take the crates to the dealer to make sure they'll both fit.
  • Options
    Thanks for that info!

I was hoping that I could put both crates into the HL from the rear, but now I'm not sure if the width of two crates would fit bewteen the wheel wells...Just from what you told me it does not look good :(

Plus, I believe the 2nd seats do not fold down flat either, which would not help at all...

I know there is more room in the Pilot, but overall we really like the HL more than the Pilot...

More stuff to think about...
  • Options
    Don't give up on the Highlander without actually trying your crates. We too looked at the Pilot (and the Murano) but the ride and slightly smaller size of the Highlander won us over. The rear seats fold almost flat. I don't think the dogs will notice the angle.
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Our two Pugs ride in the back seat of our 2003 Highlander. We have a special blanket that covers the seat so dog hairs won't be so bad. I like to use the cargo space for suitcases, etc.
  • Options
    My wife said that her friend created a padded extension that goes up against the 2nd Row seat that makes that area flat in a Camry for her two dogs...

She is going to get me the details, as this works well for her friend...

My Wife wants a HL :)

I guess where there is a will there is a way!
  • Options
    I have a 73lb.Lab and what is now a 55lb. Golden PUPPY. I found that crates are a major inconvenience but the pet dividers that use vertical supports with horizontal bars installed properly behind the rear seat work beautifully. They provide good protection from their being thrown forward and since they are both big, the amount of space in the cargo area is just the right size to prevent them from being thrown around. I also have two scatter rugs that I put on top of the rubber cargo mat, to give them some comfort.

They absolutely LOVE going on trips and are perfectly content with this arrangement. I am comfortable with their safety and am able to use the folded down rear seat as my cargo area for luggage and such.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Regarding the hesitation problem,

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05036/453222.stm
  • Options
    Can these Pet dividers be found on any online stores?

Thanks?
  • Options
    Yes. You can see it on sportsmansguide.com under the Auto/truck/SUV section in the Misc. category...or you can try cabelas.com

I got mine from sportsmansguide and it seems to be doing the job.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Thank you vary much...That looks like a great way to take two Dogs!
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I went to the Chicago auto show this weekend with my husband and left with a renewed appreciation for the Highlander. I have an 04 Limited, which seems to offer interior refinement on the level of much more expensive cars. It's not space-age sporty like some, but it has a very classic, elegant interior that compares well with some cars costing nearly $10,000 more.

On another note, I noticed that the third seats in most SUVs are about as cramped as the HL's. A 5'3" friend sat in our third seat for a half-hour ride the other day and pronounced it "not that bad," but I think that was just her Midwestern politeness.