Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    Probably the easiest way is to lift up the access panel to the spare tire (rear floor). Then lift up the plastic cover to the spare. When standing at the rear of the vehicle and facing the spare tire, there should be a small blue plastic box partially visible at the upper left area of the storage space. This box is a converter box which the trailer wiring is plugged into. This item is one of the standard items on the '01 HL tow prep package. If you don't have it, you don't have the option.

Another way to check which options are on your vehicle might be to contact Toyota directly, or possibly a local dealer and ask them to give you the info for your VIN.
  • Options
    feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    Hi, since no one has answered your question I will give it a try. I own a 2001 HL V6 bought new in 2001 with the tow package. MIne came with a 2" x 2" (centered beneath the rear bumper) receptical to insert the ball hitch, and just to the left of the receptical is the electrical plug to insert the trailer lights. I have never personally crawled beneath the car and observed the transmission cooler.

Happy Hl'ing
  • Options
    jenna1jenna1 Member Posts: 4
    May I ask how many miles were on your Highlander when you bought it? I'm considering a 2001 Limited with 87,000. But I'm afraid that's too high.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " I'm considering a 2001 Limited with 87,000. But I'm afraid that's too high. "

If it's been properly maintained and the price is right, go for it. I wouldn't rule out a Toyota with 87K miles for reliability reasons as long as it's been maintained. As with any used vehicle, have a trusted mechanic check it over before you purchase it.
  • Options
    gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    I agree with others. 87K isn't too high for a Toyota if it's well maintained. The only major maintenance issue coming up on that '01 HL (V6 models) is at 90K and it's to have the timing belt changed. This is a job that usually runs in the range of $300-$400 (at the dealer).
  • Options
    furne1furne1 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if any one has extended a warranty after the 36k. I am assuming a private party lease of an HL with 50k and 18 months left on the lease. They originally bought a 5yr. 75k extended warranty to lease end. I drive little but would like to extend the warranty to the max 84 months, is this possible given it has passed the 3yr 36k basic warranty (even though they bought an extended warranty at in service date).

Thanks
  • Options
    newhighnewhigh Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 2005 Highlander, V6, 3.3 L -- not the hybrid model. Does it require premium unleaded or will it operate efficiently with 87 octane unleaded?
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    87 octane is fine for the Highlander.

Ken
  • Options
    idunnoidunno Member Posts: 7
    For the life of me... I can't find the PCV valve in my 2001 3.0L Highlander. Can anyone tell me where it's located?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I have owned my silver 2003 Highlander non-limited V6 for almost three years and have 30,000 trouble free miles on the odometer. Have never been happier with a car in my life. I have owned numerous autos since 1966 and this has to be the best yet.

The only auto that can come close to the Highlander was my 1969 Volvo P1800. After a year of problems, they finally had everything fixed and it was super.
  • Options
    cyclone2cyclone2 Member Posts: 1
    Does the Toyota Highlander have the towing capacity to pull a 2800 # boat/trailer with a tongue wait of 140 #'s? I like the MPG of the Highlander versus the 4 Runner, especially since 90 % of my miles will be highway commute. However, I need the towing capacity the other 10 % of the miles.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Towing capacity for the 6cyl. is 3,500lbs. and 2,000lbs. for the 4cyl.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Pulling a boat/trailer is not your major concern, or at least it should not be. Stopping safely with a 2800 # load behind can be a major challenge. Remember that when you apply the brakes the nose of your HL will dive because of the momentum shifting forward. That's why the front brakes absorb most (~70%) of the energy required to stop the vehicle.

With an unbraked load in tow it's weight will also shift forward as you brake having the effect of "lifting" the front wheels of the towing vehicle from the roadbed. That not only results in less braking HP but also results in less ability to maintain directional control of the vehicle.

Severe braking or a slippery roadbed can lead to disaster.
  • Options
    skutflutskutflut Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Highlander 3.0 litre V6 4WD. This car has been great except for one problem that I am about to go to the dealer with for the second time. At highway speeds, (above 2700 RPM on the tach) it uses oil like I owned an oil well.

Back in Sept 2004, after a year of "monitoring" the situation, the dealer replaced the piston rings and valve seals on the engine. They told me that the oil rings were seized. I accepted that explanation since it sounded reasonable.

I don't do all that much highway long distance driving so it was not until this last week during my family vacation trip that I found out that the problem is not solved. A 1200KM trip required 6 quarts of oil.

I found it down 2 quarts at the first fuel stop, which was after about 300 miles at 65-70 mph (2700-3000 rpm). One more quart went in at about 450 miles.

I then experimented a bit on a side trip one day and kept the speed down around 55-60 for 180 miles and it did not use a drop of oil. On the return leg of that trip, I let the speed move up again to my normal cruising range of 65-70 and sure enough, another quart of oil disappeared. It took 3 more quarts to get home. Right now, its down at least one quart, since I wanted the dealer to see that there is oil missing since they did oil and filter about 1800 miles ago.

Can anybody comment on what is going on with this engine? I don't know enough about the internals to make an informed argument with the dealer who I will be visiting tomorrow. I still have warranty (60000 mile/ 5 year power train) and Im pretty sure they will have to do something, but since they have already DONE a partial rebuild and not fixed the problem, what should I suggest they look at since its obviously more than rings and valve seals. Having the car laid up for a week or more at a time with no loaner is a PItA.

Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Skutflut
  • Options
    jjoejjoe Member Posts: 1
    I'm researching the same issue for an 06 Highlander. Can't find it on a search of the globe using a number of keywords. Anyone know the author or title of the article?
  • Options
    feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I too have a 2001, same V6, and have not experienced any of the problems you describe. I do know that the engine had some early sludge problems .... and Toyota issue an extended warranty on the engine ... 100,000 miles as I recall.

This does not answer your question, but I certainly would look into the sludge issue, and the extended warranty.

Good lick ... keep us informed.
  • Options
    kumarskumars Member Posts: 1
    I feel pretty stupid having drained the oil and not able to locate the oil filter even after jacking up my 05 highlander.
    Can someone please let me know where the oil filter is and the best way to identify and access it?
    I regularly jack up my nissan altima -98 v4 and do oil changes pretty quickly. I kind of expected it to be easily identifiable once I jacked it up... this is my first oil change on the HL at 4k and am stumped! It is sitting there for hours now with the hood up...

thanks in advance.
    kumars
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    V6 is front center of the engine just below the exhaust manifold. Remove the narrow plastic shield from the bottom. It's attached between the lower bumper fascia and the frame. 6, 8, 10 screws, I can't remember right now. But that will give you easy access from below.
  • Options
    mactelmactel Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have info on when the 2006 gas highlander hits the showrooms?

I found the following on quote on the motor trend website talking about future autos:

"2006 Toyota Highlander: Redesign. Increase in size to allow better third-row access and to better compete with the Honda Pilot."

I'm considering either the a forester or a highlander. I just test drove an 06 forester. I wonder how long i'll have to wait to test drive an 06 highlander. :confuse:
  • Options
    planojoe1planojoe1 Member Posts: 1
    '02 Highlander AWD w/62k

Around 45k began to feel vibrations at 70-73 MPH. Balanced, rebalanced, and balanced again then set of tires...no change. No difference after rotation either.

Placed new set of tires on last month, but first checked balance of rims only before mounting new tires...clean bill...absolutely no problems seen/detected.. Still, same persistent vibration. Note: Also started to hear metalic "hit" when traveling (at any speed) with any type of road deflection/bump.

Dealer claims 1) they "can't duplicate the problem" (no surprise!) , 2) have no reports of vibrations on Highlanders, and 3) have no clue what the issue could be.

Co-worker claims relative in another state had similar problem that turned out to be a transmission/axle problem (he wasn't any more specific).

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any decent ideas on what I'm looking at or what to investigate?

Many thanks!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    for the "needle" roller bearings in the U-joints in the rear driveshaft to cause your problem.
  • Options
    Without being able to read a crystal ball, Toyota typically brings out their new model year vehicles for imported vehicles around August or September. The re-design is not scheduled until the 2007 model year as well.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    My understanding is also that the Highlander will NOT be redesigned for 2006, but will be for 2007. Toyota just brought out the 2006 Highlander Hybrid which is not redesigned from the 2005s so it is very unlikely that the regular gas HL will be redisigned for 2006 and make the Hybrid obsolete immediately.
  • Options
    mactelmactel Member Posts: 6
    I guess it makes sense that the 06 gas version highlander will not change much. I am curious if Toyota will simply make small changes to the new 06, such as adding the LED lights on the rear. Also what if any features that are optional will become standard? I understand that a differentiation must be made between the hybrid version and the gas version, yet doesn't each new year have to come with "new" items? Otherwise, how will Toyota market the new 06 gas highlander? I guess we'll just have to wait till aug or sept...

I think i'm going to wait till the 06 comes along; crossing my finger the 4 cyl will be mated to a 5 speed auto tranny.
  • Options
    I don't believe each year has to have "new" items at all. Many vehicles are carried over from one to the next in identical form. The HL sells very well because it's a well thought-out vehicle and doesn't need "new" gimmicks every year to sell it. The days of new models each year are long gone; although I do remember them well.
  • Options
    clifford1clifford1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 LTD AWD HL wondering who has the factory system in their HL Is it any good? I see headrests type for around $1600
  • Options
    clifford1clifford1 Member Posts: 2
    sorry,
    I meant rear seat entertainment system (DVD Player) from Toyota
  • Options
    williams10williams10 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 05 HL V-6, HAS anyone found the tranny slipping in lower gears at low speeds..Mine sometimes takes 2 to 3 seconds and revs between these shifts... the two different dealers says it is the nature of the beast.. and is normal I have 8000 miles on the vehicle.
  • Options
    I have an '05 HL V6 and mine does not do that at all. Remember these cars are electronic throttle (or drive by wire) and occasionally "delays" happen. Could this be what you are feeling? It usually only occurs when you mash the accelerator tho.
  • Options
    williams10williams10 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input, is there any adjustments to the electronic throttle?The delay shift usually happen at low speeds and slow take off's, ie: in a parking lot or in traffic..and I must say it is more than occasionlly..
  • Options
    I would ask your Toyota service dept. as this complaint has been voiced before. I'm not well enough versed to tell whether or not the settings are adjustable. Sorry.
  • Options
    nicdognicdog Member Posts: 1
    I have the same vehicle and same problem! My Highlander has approximately 42000 miles (67000 km). I had both O2 sensors and mass air flow sensor apparently fail at the same time in February and without much notice. The check engine came on one week while on the highway. It cycled off when I returned to the city. It came on again the following week and I immediately took it to the dealer. The dealer replaced the mass air flow unit and cleared the light but the check engine came on again less than 15 minutes after leaving the dealer. It was brought back and the two O2 sensors replaced.

At the time I challenged the service advisor why three sensors should fail simultaneously. After the first check engine came on, I attributed it to perhaps a loose gas cap. I also checked to oil only to find in was down 21/2 litres, the first time I have had to add oil between changes. It is only recently that I discovered that oil is consumed only at highway speed. There is no smoke on start-up. The dealer has me on a oil consumption test. Up in Canada, Toyota says that a litre in 1500 km (900 miles) is considered normal. The dealer pulled the valve covers to check for "sludge" this week and found "nothing" wrong.

It looks like I will have to take a trip of 1500 km, at highway speed, to demonstrate that something is amiss with this engine.

Let me know what you find out and I'll keep you posted.

nicdog in Toronto
  • Options
    rdw1rdw1 Member Posts: 8
    I drove a 2005 Highlander 6 cy yesterday. I wanted to drive the Limited, but they were out of them. Are you allowed to take your car for it's servicing to an independent mechanic that you trust and still be covered under the warranty? I liked the ride. I have a 4 cy pickup now and decided that I wanted a little luxury along with safety. Also, are there different warranties that I should know about? Thanks

rdw1
  • Options
    As for maintanence, you are not required to go to the dealer for maintanence, but I still recommend it as they can check to see if there are any service bulitens that need to be addressed. Also, most, not all, dealers try to be relatively competitive for maintanence pricing. If you do decide to have it maintained elsewhere, just make sure that you keep VERY good records in case you do have a warranty repair needed and they ask for you to verify you maintained the vehicle.

As for warranties, try to use a manufacturer backed warranty, with Toyota being the preferred option both for coverage and for pricing.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Were you able to see the engine when they pulled the valve cover? You may want to take it to an independent mechanic and have them pull the valve cover and check for you again. If there are no obvious leaks and you are "losing" oil, it certainly sounds like sludge. A diagnosis of sludge means that Toyota must repair your engine for free if yours is a 98 - 2002 model year, so there may be some hesitancy to admit that is the problem.
  • Options
    np2002np2002 Member Posts: 1
    I am owner of 2002 Highlander V4 2WD. Currently having 37K mile and I am getting steering wheel vibration problem. Had such problem before , dealer did rotation ans etc but could not solve problem.

Then They found out wear and tear on side of tire was causing the problem.
    does Highlander's tire wear at 37K only?
    Is that the max life of tire on SUVs. Dealer said it because of Tire was not balanced properly.

New tires cost around 500$ min.

Is there any compain center ?
  • Options
    My opinion is that 37k miles on a set of OEM tires (original equipment) is pretty good. What's to complain about?
  • Options
    snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    We have 2001 V6 Limited with 35500 miles on it. The OEM tires are down to the wear indicators. Seems like a reasonable mileage to expect. We are not hard on the tires, mostly highway miles. I found I can get Firestone Destination LE's (rated pretty good by Tire Rack installed and out the door for $420 for 4 tires. Would check out why the tire is wearing on side...
  • Options
    oshkoshoshkosh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Highlander Limited with abt 8000 miles on it; turned it on and suddenly the emergency lights/flashers came on; took it to the dealer and they had to pull the whole console apart and have ordered a huge electrical part ($$$); no it wasn't a simple fuse! it is all under warranty; they let me take it back with everything working incl. turn signals just no emergency flashers. since they pulled it apart it reset my presets, lost all my navigation memory; and now it looks like my navigation error points the opposite way (i can live with it)
    just curious, happen to anyone else?
  • Options
    mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    Folks, Has anyone out there had any success programming the HL body computer to lock the doors when shifting out of Park? I have this feature on my 2004 RX-330 and my wife had it on her 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee which she traded on the HL. The dealer is clueless and has been no help. I know other Toyota models have this feature. Thanks!
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I don't think the HL offers this feature. My 2004 won't do it.
  • Options
    raul6raul6 Member Posts: 6
    I know you emphatically declare to only "say this once," so at the risk of receiving the brunt of your wrath, I ask for clarification: On my '05 V6 with tow package (supposedly pre-wired for trailer lights), can I just go straight from the existing 4-pin plug into a flat 4-pin connector to accept the trailer wires (assuming I can make or buy an adapter)? In other words, do I even need to bother with the 10-pin plug and buy a converter if all I need are 4 wires for a utility trailer? This whole "pre-wired" thing sure is a mess.
    Thanks for you help.
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    My 2003 non limited is the same. I was told that in order to have the doors lock when shifting to drive or rev, you must have the engine imobilization option installed. This includes a different computer that has the auto door lock feature. My wifes 2002 Camry has this feature and the doors do lock automatically.
  • Options
    warlwarl Member Posts: 5
    mvdi;

I purschased a 2005 HL limited on July 4. I asked the salesman the same question, he had no idea how to do it. I called Toyota coustemer services and was told that the instructions on how to activate the door locks is on page 146 of the owners manual. I have gotten my car yet so I couldn't try it. Hope this helps. Let me know if it works.
  • Options
    ozzydogozzydog Member Posts: 3
    Sorry raul6, you need a converter if you want to use the TO wiring as it exists. The Highlander uses separate bulbs for brake and turn lights, trailers use the same bulb for both, thus the need for a converter. Your other option would be to ignore the TO and buy an aftermarket wiring kit and start splicing.

The factory hitch and converter are available online, as well as from dealers. These 2 items are all that you need, since the hitch has the 4-wire flat built in.
  • Options
    Thank you for your response, ozzydog. I see there's been a lot of confusion and discussion on this subject here and the Yahoo user group. I just sent the following to Toyota Corp and expect to receive the same unsatisfying reply as previous plaintiffs, but at least I feel better for having expressed my feelings:

"I bought my '05 Highlander with the tow package described as being "pre-wired" for trailer lights. I have since learned that I will need to purchase a converter (PN 08921-48860) costing over $100 [dealer quoted $101.20] in order to accommodate the trailer lights. Apparently '03 Highlanders include this converter in the tow package but '04 and '05 do not. I am very disappointed that the '05 pre-wiring lacks the converter. I am not alone, as evidenced by the confusion and frustration documented on the Edmunds.com forum on this subject. I believe you should include the converter as part of the tow package and offer to refund the cost of the converter to those who ask. Regards, etc."
  • Options
    me8eme8e Member Posts: 7
    Well Raul....I did "bite the bullet" ;and bought the toyo converter and the 4 pin flat plug/connector!! ONLY as a precaution should a problem occur later on in the wiring. Can you imagine the dealership HOWLS..."THIS ISN'T TOYOTA PARTS"!! if they found another brand converter installed...or the wiring spliced ??
    I purchased the following from my local Toyo Dlr:
    Highlander converter...# 08921-48860....List 65.00......Net 52.00
    4 pin flat connector / plug # 08942-48870-BB.. "" 40.34...... "" 30.31
    I opted to purchase the trailer hitch on the internet from hitchmart.com.....160.00 to my door.
    installed it in about 15 min.....Found that I needed to extend the 4 wire connector to reach the plug on my trailer.
    Visited the local WalMart;and bought a 3 ft extension(incl M/F plugs) 6.00. While at WM..pick up some of the split/ribbed wiring protector...will prevent chaffed wiring .
    Hey Raul....no wrath here :) ...I just type so dang slow...takes forever for me to repeat anything...hope this helps.....Ray
  • Options
    Thanks Ray, I knew you wouldn't get mad at me. You got good prices. I'll see if my local dealer will match them. If my research is correct, I learned that the converter is indeed necessary. It appears that in order to save cost and weight, the standard wiring uses the minimum size wire capable of carrying the current to power only the lights on the vehicle. The extra draw from trailer lights would cause a voltage drop, possibly dimming lights or blowing a fuse. The necessary converter (08921-48860) apparently includes relays. The relay takes a signal (in this case, from the circuit that goes to each light) and closes a switch on the trailer light circuit, which then, via its own dedicated "hot" wire, goes through the four-pin connector that 08942-48870-BB plugs into, thus avoiding extra current load on the existing vehicle light wires. Without the converter, there is no voltage to the four-pin connector I asked about. So apparently the pre-wiring does indeed include some factory wiring, thus avoiding the splicing needed with the universal power converters offered on the hitch web sites. But the pre-wiring doesn't include the converter, which apparently was included in '03 (other years too? I don't know). BTW, the converter also converts the signals from the independent bulbs on the vehicle to the common bulbs of a typical trailer. Interesting stuff. Too bad it wasn't made more clear to buyers. Disclaimer: I'm no expert; this is just what I've learned through web-surfing and fooling around with my volt-meter. I'm sure my wife would rather I be working on her honey-do list instead.
  • Options
    toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    This feature is not available on the Limited. Auto locking is only possible on a base Highlander with the RS3200 alarm system.
  • Options
    pamindianapamindiana Member Posts: 2
    I have a 4 cl highlander, and love my car, but i'm thinking bout getting a limited highlander.The complaints I get from passengers in the back seat in the summer is that they are hot, while in the front its freezing cold. Is there a/c controls in the back seat of the limiteds?