Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    On 3rd row seat models, there is a seperate control for the fan/heat for the 3rd row, but not for the second. There are heating/air conditioning vents under the front seats so you may want to play with the controls to see which ones give the best flow through those vents or make sure you don't have things stuffed under the backs of the front seats.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    ronm2ronm2 Member Posts: 7
    Regarding trailer wiring option, I too "bit the bullet",for much the same reasons as message 10114 and also did the internet site for hitch. It really is the easy option. But then to add insult to injury I ended up cutting off the four pin flat end and wiring in the 7 pin round that my pop up trailer needs. Now I find my self needing to extend the Highlander mirrors. If a search of this site does not provide source or answers, I will be logging back on for suggestions on mirror extenders.
  • Options
    jsulmeyerjsulmeyer Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I just bought a used 2001 Highlander 2WD. I'm not sure what was standard and what was part of a "add-on" package. Could someone explain the following to me so I can figure out what I've got:

Appearance Package
    Convenience Package
    Preferred Package
    Towing Prep Pkg vs. Tow Hitch
    daytime running lights?

Much thanks!!

John
  • Options
    mikenanniemikenannie Member Posts: 4
    I have 42,000+ miles on my current Bridgestone's and I'm planning to replace them this week. I've read the posts here and understand that the Michelin Cross Terrains are recommended highly. I live in Northern Indiana, 30-40 inches of snow each year on average. I also tow a 2500 lbs popup camper frequently during the warm season. Would this tire still be a good choice for me?

I'd like something that rides well and performs well in the snow, but can also handle my towing needs. (I had to replace a blown Bridgestone and now have a Michelin LTX/MS as a spare)

Thanks!
    Mike
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Our 2004 came with Michelen Energy tires. They seem fine, quiet enough on the highway. I am in South Bend. It's my wife's car so I never drove it in fresh snow but she said it goes great.

Your best bet is to check the ratings at tirerack.com.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    All of the options you listed are packages added at the factory to the base Highlander, including the tow prep package, with the exception of the hitch, which was probably installed by the dealer or the previous owner.

Dusting off my '01 brochure:

Appearance Package -- includes aluminum alloy wheels with full-size spare tire on aluminum alloy wheel, color-keyed front and rear mudguards, and privacy glass on rear side, quarter and tailgate windows.

Convenience Package -- includes multi-function remote keyless entry system and tonneau cover.

Preferred Package -- includes driver’s seat 5 power controls for 8-way adjustment, plus lumbar support, engine immobilizer and anti-theft system alarm prewire, illuminated vanity mirrors and HomeLink® universal remote.

Towing Prep Package -- all models include upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, 130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring; 4-cylinder models add: 3,000-lb. towing capacity, engine oil cooler and 120-watt fan coupling; V6 models add: 3,500-lb. towing capacity, 80-watt fan coupling and power steering oil cooler.

Hopefully this was what you were asking.
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Several observations that may be of interest:
    (1) Over 3700 miles I averaged 26.1 mpg. Two tanks were 28.4 mpg with strictly highway driving at about 70-75 mph. Two tanks were 23.8 mpg with a mix of highway and city -- Chicago mainly. We had 3 or 4 people in the car plus luggage for the entire trip.
    (2) On a trip in February the oil dipstick was about midway between full and half after 3,000 miles. This time the dispstick level still is at full after 3700 miles. I'm over 21K on the odometer now. So maybe the February consumption can be explained as the engine break-in period??
    (3) If I have any complaint at this point, it would be that the AC seems barely adequate at 95 degrees when it's sunny. Otherwise I am quite happy with the performance of the 4-cylinder, and the Highlander provides a comfortable ride.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I drove from Orlando to Miami and back, same vehicle as yours, got 26 MPG, 3 adults in the car, a/c blowing the whole way, going about 80 though.
    Do you have your a/c on "circulate" rather than "vent"? The a/c here in central Florida this time of year seems fine.
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Interesting that your MPG is almost identical to mine. If it's at all hot I tend to start out with the AC set on recirculate and then switch to outside air after it gets cool enough. On this trip with high temps and high humidity I had to leave it on recirculate for longer than I would like, and I sometimes had to have the fan turned up as well in order to keep the vehicle comfortable. If yours works fine in Florida, maybe I should have mine checked.
  • Options
    jsulmeyerjsulmeyer Member Posts: 10
    Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. It would appear that I have the Appearance Package and the Preferred Package (I'm assuming the "HomeLink® universal remote" is the garage door opener on the driver-side sun visor).

I'm not sure about the Convenience Package - I have a keyless entry remote with lock and unlock buttons on the front and a panic button on the back - does this qualify as a "multi-function" remote or is this a "basic remote," if there is such a beast? Also, I'm not sure what the "tonneau cover" is. I was given a sliding cover that covers the contents of the cargo area, as well as a net that, I think, covers whatever is strapped to the roof rack.

As for the Towing Prep Package, I have NO idea if I have these upgrades (upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, 130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring, 3,500-lb. towing capacity, 80-watt fan coupling and power steering oil cooler); all I know is that I have a trailer hitch attached in the back. How would I know if I have the upgraded components?

Much thanks,

John

P.S. I'm still trying to locate information on the 2001 add-on center console. Do you have any idea where I can find pictures and info on this mysterious item?
  • Options
    Hey John:

(I'm assuming the "HomeLink® universal remote" is the garage door opener on the driver-side sun visor) -- you assume correctly...

I have a keyless entry remote with lock and unlock buttons on the front and a panic button on the back - does this qualify as a "multi-function" remote or is this a "basic remote," if there is such a beast? -- you indeed have the "multi-function" remote!

Also, I'm not sure what the "tonneau cover" is. I was given a sliding cover that covers the contents of the cargo area... -- that's indeed the tonneau cover!!

...as well as a net that, I think, covers whatever is strapped to the roof rack. -- if its indeed a net for the roof rack then its an aftermarket part as none was sold by Toyota for the '01; however more than likely its a black net about 1' x 4' that has a "Toyota" tag on it and is for the cargo area inside the vehicle which attaches to the fingers on either side of the rear hatch opening to prevent groceries from sliding around -- very useful accessory that was typically thrown in by the dealer...

As for the Towing Prep Package, I have NO idea if I have these upgrades... -- see post 10068 -- never tried this so let us know if it helps! :D
  • Options
    gklatvgklatv Member Posts: 35
    How do you feel about the Michelin LTX/MS? It seems to be a bit more aggressive tire than CrossTerrain. The LTX would be my choice for tire replacement on '03 HL AWD Ltd. in a year or two.
  • Options
    jimcojimco Member Posts: 7
    I think I’ve narrowed down my choices to the Honda CR-V LX AWD or the Toyota Highlander 4-cylinder, 4WD Base and I’d like your opinion.

Based on Edmunds TMV, the price I can expect to pay is only $2422 more for the Highlander, which makes it a good value, considering the extra features it has. That includes an $800 incentive/rebate on the Highlander.

I drove both of them today. The CR-V seems more responsive when I accelerate but the Highlander has a more comfortable and quieter ride. I live in the mountains in Colorado and have a 20-mile commute that is mostly uphill from work to home. Both cars downshift a lot when I accelerate going up the mountains but the Honda shifts a lot smoother and is less noticeable than the Highlander.

The Highlander has more safety features, including limited-slip differential, brake assist, and traction control. It also has more amenities such variable-intermittent wipers, a cargo cover, auxiliary visors, and a clock separate from the radio.

The gas mileage is about the same – 27/22 for the CRV and 25/21 for the Highlander.

I like the size of the CR-V. The Highlander is larger than I need.

What are your opinions?
  • Options
    gklatvgklatv Member Posts: 35
    It seems that Honda CRV would suit you better - you like the size, shifts smoother for you, costs less. If you want Hignlander, go for a 6 cyl. AWD in Colorado mountains.
  • Options
    Though I'm a big HL fan based on what you said I agree with gklatv and would go with the CR-V. I'm not familiar with the CR-V but its the second-highest rated small SUV in this month's Consumer Reports (August 2005).

FYI the CR-V and HL are not typically compared with one another as the CR-V falls into the small SUV category and the HL into the mid-sized SUV category. The CR-V is more likely to be compared with the Toyota RAV4, and the HL with the Honda Pilot.

On the other hand you may be at that stage in life where a smaller car lacking a bunch of cute features just doesn't seem enough anymore -- that's where I was when I bought my HL -- I looked at the RAV4 and it was just too small and simple for me.

I'd characterize the HL as a conservative-styled SUV that's quiet, roomy, with easy-to-use controls, with plenty of power, that's fast on the freeway and handles like a car, except being slightly truck-like around corners (its an SUV, after all). Most owners here are very happy with this vehicle and would purchase it again. Its an SUV that people fall in love with. Something about its understated, subtile-cool styling just seems to draw one into it.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    On the CRV, I didn't like the rear outside mounted spare tire, and the rear door opens very counter-intuitively......the highlander is WAY quieter on the highway....

My brother in law has a CRV,and he wishes he had bought the Highlander..... MY V6 Highlander gets virtualy the same MPG as his 4 cyl CRV.

just my humble opinon., and my B-I-L
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I live in the mountains of BC and I would go with the V6 Highlander, no question in my mind. For mountain driving, IMO, the 4 cylinder HL is not powerful enough. I am not a CRV fan.
  • Options
    "MY V6 Highlander gets virtualy the same MPG as his 4 cyl CRV."

That's surprising. What kind of mileage are you getting?
  • Options
    21.5 to 22 mpg "in town" and 25 mpg "highway." This is with A/C running full time, and 70-75mph highway.
  • Options
    djpbnl1djpbnl1 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 HL, 50K miles, I had to replace the original tires at 15K, Put the Michelin Cross Terrains on and never looked back. I live on Long island in NY not much snow but lots of highway driving. But we have a place in NH, lots of snow (and mud in the spring). Never had a problem with the Cross Terrains. And for the type of tire they are, little road noise at 65+mph

Goof luck
    dave
  • Options
    FYI the CR-V and HL are not typically compared with one another as the CR-V falls into the small SUV category and the HL into the mid-sized SUV category. The CR-V is more likely to be compared with the Toyota RAV4, and the HL with the Honda Pilot.

I agree and I have also considered the RAV4. I have pretty much ruled it out because it is very small inside and the insurance would be $120/yr more on it. The insurance on the CR-V and the Highlander are almost the same.

I wasn't going to consider the Highlander but then I found out that it comes in a 4-cylinder version that costs considerably less than the V6 and gets gas mileage just a little less than the CR-V.

The Pilot's gas mileage and the price of gas today are the only reasons I didn't consider it.
  • Options
    I live in the mountains of BC and I would go with the V6 Highlander, no question in my mind. For mountain driving, IMO, the 4 cylinder HL is not powerful enough.

That's my concern too. I drove both of them and they both got me up the mountains but the CR-V just seemed peppier. That goes along with what you're saying. There are also a lot of curves in the mountains that I drive here. The CR-V seemed more nimble but that could just be perception because of the difference in size.

From the comments to my post, it sounds like they are both great cars and either would be a good choice. No wonder I'm having such a hard time deciding.
  • Options
    "21.5 to 22 mpg "in town" and 25 mpg "highway."

Is that calculated or using the trip computer? In either case, it's fantastic. We're getting 15-16 around town and 22 or so highway.
  • Options
    shl72953shl72953 Member Posts: 53
    Have a '01 HL with Cross Terrains on it for the last 20,000 miles. Yesterday while coming out of Indianapolis in the center lane of the interstate, a twelve foot limb about 8 inches in diameter was blown into my lane and was run over by a semi and then by me. After clearing the obstacle, I applied the brakes and the front end of the vehicle hopped up and down like the whole front end was gone. I said something on the CB and a trucker answered back that the steel belts were probably stretched and to drive a little farther and they would straighten out. Twenty miles down the road the thing drove as smooth as ever and when I inspected all four tires, I could find nothing wrong. First time I ever heard of this but a couple of buddies said that it happens often.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's interesting; never heard of that before either. I'd be interested to hear what others say over in Tires, tires, tires. Maybe I'll just link this post over there and see. Glad to hear things went back to normal.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Trip computer, but calculated at fill up time is within .5 mpg... largest variance i've seen. At a steady 75mph on level road with a/c on, and no head or tail winds...and only 2 people in car, the trip computer reads about 27-28...and as low as 24 ....varies as A/C cycles on and off...

in town, if i do a lot of short trips, it drops to about 19.5...which is the absolute lowest i have seen yet for a full tank fillup, in almost 7,000 miles.
  • Options
    Our trip computer is almost always 1 mpg high. I wish we were getting your around town mileage. Most of our around town trips are only 2-4 miles at speeds below 45 mph so I'm sure that hurts the mileage.
  • Options
    snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    Have '01 HL Limited and get consistent suburban mileage of around 20 and last two highway trips got 25 calculated with 2 people, and running about 70 MPH with AC on. Just bought new tires after last trip and expect to no change fo rthe worse. Tire rack rated the Firestone Destination LE's pretty high and more car like. we almost never go off road and don't live in snow belt country. So far (only a few hundred miles on them), these tires are a great improvement over the OEM Bridgestones for ride comfort and noise.
  • Options
    aledaraledar Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Highlander also with the towing package. AND I CAN'T Find it either. The local dealership faxed me a wiring diagram which locates it but I still can't find it.
    Have you had any success?
  • Options
    aledaraledar Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I saw your post and you sound like you've done what I am about to do, Only problem is I can't find the wiring 'pigtail' or plug at the rear of the vehicle.
    I own a 2003 Highlander and I purchased the towing package and converter. I can't seem to find where they come out at the rear of the vehicle. Can you help?
    fred
  • Options
    raul6raul6 Member Posts: 6
    If you already have a converter installed, then the following link tells you where to plug in the pigtail:
    http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/00016482050104HigLander%20Hitch%20Wiring%20Harness.pdf
    I ordered a pigtail (4-pin flat to 4-pin Toyota square) from etrailer.com for $18.69 inc shipping. Their part number 217886. Haven't received it yet. My local Toyota dealer (where I bought my HL) gave me a free converter (PN 08921-48860) when I complained that the tow package should have included it. Toyota Corp thanked me for sending my recommendation, but wasn't going to do anything about it.
    Raul
  • Options
    auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    I am extremely impressed to see the official web-site of Toyota and find that Toyota states that the 2005 Highlander comes with the full-time 4WD:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/highlander/specs.html
    Drivetrain: Front engine front-wheel drive (2WD) or full-time 4-wheel drive (4WD)

To the best of my knowledge no other SUVs in its class are equipped with the full-time 4WD.

I do not rule out the possibility that Toyota's statement in its web-site is incorrect...HL may be a part-time 4WD or AWD... but if the statement is correct the HL seems to have a lot of appeal to those who need more traction.

For those who have Highlander full-time 4WD, can you share your experiences of driving your full-time 4WD Highlander? Does it have more traction, more sporty ride and more safety?
  • Options
    Most of the other car-based SUVs (Murano, Pilot, etc.) have the ability to instanteously switch from the normal 2WD mode to 4WD when the computer detects wheel slip. I don't think there's any practical advantage to the Highlander system and the downside is that being in 4WD all the time probably results in a mileage penalty. The type of 4WD drive system was not a factor in our choice of the Highlander over the competition.
  • Options
    natharnathar Member Posts: 10
    Is a car with 75 miles on it still new?
  • Options
    It's new as long as it hasn't been titled. My Camry was retrieved from a dealer 240 miles away and had 247 miles on it at delivery.
  • Options
    If you know about it being retrieved from a dealer, that seems different. All the ads in my newspaper say "New car with less than 25 miles". Is that some kind of legal threshold?
  • Options
    parrotheaderparrotheader Member Posts: 3
    I figured this would be a pretty rare configuration. Most people don't take a base model and add major options, which is unfortunately what we'd prefer to do. We'd prefer the four-cylinder's mileage and lower base price, but would still like a few upgrades, particularly this one - which is standard on some other vehicles. :(

But is this configuration basically non-existant on '05 models? And is there any news on whether side airbags would become standard in '06? I couldn't find the info in the other threads. The sales manager I spoke with at one dealer said he'd have to special order it and it wouldn't be available until October and thus an '06 model so he wouldn't be able to give me a price quote because he doesn't know what (if any) will be the incentives for '06 models at that time.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "New car with less than 25 miles". Is that some kind of legal threshold?

It depends on the state in the US; Wisconsin says a car can have ~200 miles on it and it can still be called new. Other states have limits in the 1,000's of miles - Ohio calls demonstrators new cars if they have less than 6,000 miles.

Wisconsin DOT

Ohio AG

Once it's been titled, all bets are off (see the recent thread in Any Questions for a Car Dealer?).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    btemplebtemple Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. I asked people in 2 Toyota service departments. One said he had no idea and told me to ask a salesperson if they knew what people are doing about it, and the other called a service tech and was told there is no wiring hook-up, suggesting the option write-up is wrong. HELP!
  • Options
    rdw1rdw1 Member Posts: 8
    I am inquiring if anyone knows about installing a speaker for a Cell Phone in a 2005 Highlander Limited. I am looking to buy a 2005 Highlander Limited and none of them seem to have a connection/speaker for a Cell Phone. Thanks
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Catalog lists side airbags as option for any Highlander model but you will not be able to find it except on the more expensive versions or special orders, it's a way of forcing you to spend more dough for instock items. I have a base 2004 4cyl and would have paid for side bags but none were to be found except for special orders and is not limited to Toyota.
  • Options
    mrd2mrd2 Member Posts: 6
    I have been searching for a 2005 HL with a 4 cyl. and leather interior(a rare combination). I have located a 2005 Highlander with a 4 cylinder, leather interior, but it is AWD. Does anyone have any recommendations or concerns about an AWD 4 cylinder? The reason I am looking for leather is the cloth armrests seem to have very thin material. What are people's experience with the cloth interior on the 2005s?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    go to parts and buy a leather covered armrest?
  • Options
    "go to parts and buy a leather covered armrest?"

The dealer may not sell just the armrests, might need to buy a whole seat = $$$$$

Maybe go to an upolstery shop that does leather interior conversions, and I bet they can change those armrests to leather for you at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    rjvilrjvil Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have an intermittent transmission problem with my 2004 V6 4WD Highlander.
    Sometimes there seems to be a 2-3 seconds delay after I step on gas and before the truck accelerates, and then the shift is quite rough, and I am not flooring the gas, but accelerating after, say, changing lanes.
    I’ve taken it back to the dealer, they can’t find anything wrong.
    Has anyone experienced similar problems?
    rjv
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Search here at edmunds for "hesitation" and read the BAD news.
  • Options
    The price seems reasonable, has anyone had good experience with it? My main question is whether they fight tooth and nail to say that anything that goes wrong isn't covered, or whether they are pretty reasonable.
  • Options
    There is a well documented hesitation issue (we have it on our 2004 HL also but it's not nearly as noticeable on my SE-V6 with the same powertrain) but I've not heard of a 2-3 second delay. On ours, it's typically http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04345/424551.stm
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    There is supposed to be a software upgrade out to fix the hesitation problem. Anyone had this done on a Highlander yet? If so, can you report the results? There is an Engine Hesitation forum here at Edmund where some of the participants are anxiously waiting to hear how the upgrade works, so you could post your experience there, too.
  • Options
    btemplebtemple Member Posts: 2
    I have ordered the connections. Where on my HL do I find the wiring?