Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    The recommended break-in is 1000 miles. No specific speed is given, they just say to not drive at very high speeds, avoid full throttle starts, don't drive at one constant speed for a long time (don't set the cruise control and drive a long distance ), and avoid panic breaking.

Many people believe that you should, within reason, break-in a car the way you are going to drive it. If you are an agressive driver, don't baby it during break-in.

Keep in mind that the engine noise that I am referring to is not that big a deal. It is certainly not annoying. Having just come of a '99 ES300, I guess I am expecting the same silkiness. I have to remember that this is still a truck and by SUV standards except for maybe the RX330/350, this is probably as close as you can get to car quietness. Maybe the fact that the engine is new and tight has something to do with this and that once it is broken in, it will get smoother/quieter. I will post back on this issue once I try another one at the dealer.
  • Options
    toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    1000 miles? That does seem a little long. But then if you follow the rules for the agressive driver that you are , you should be putting the peddle to the metal....................

I had a similar problem with a computer that I bought a year or so back. Those in the store were super quiet. And the one I got at home, the fan was loud. And they tried to explain that it was because of the larger processor, than my old computer, which required a bigger fan. It never made sense to me since it was the exact model that was in the store, that was quiet.

The skeptic that I am causes me to beleive that floor models are tweaked and tweaked and tweaked to help Sales.
    Be they are vehicle, a computer or??????????

I even had a Toyota Camry once that would not run on regular gas and it was only 4 cylinders. And I had it into the shop for adjustment on numerous occasions. Finally giving up and continuing to drive but on High Octane to eliminate the ping. This, while all the while, the Salespeople assured me that Regular Gasoline was fine.

My current car is a 97 Honda Accord V-6 with an Acura engine that I bought new. And when I first bought it, it would choke out and backfire from time to time like it was constipated or something. And the Dealer Rep asked if I used Gasoline with Techron such as Chevron? And as luck would have it, that was exactly the gasoline I was using.

Then they said I needed to add some Techron to the gasoline, which I did. To no particular improvement.

Later, they recommended I add 44K. A fuel additive that is slightly less than $20 a can every 2 months. Which I do and have done for the last 9 years. And it runs great but it is relatively expensive.

At one point a Rep from Honda told me that my "Accord was not designed to run in California". Somehow I don't remember the Salesman telling me that...........(smile)
  • Options
    More observations at 300 miles:

1. Can't believe that a hood prop stick is used even on the Limited. Seems very cheesy on a vehicle like this.

2. Ergonomics( very minor gripes ): the ECT snow switch is completely blocked from view when in DRIVE. Might be my seating position but none the less, they could have found a better place to put it where its is always in view. I previosly commented on the fact that only the driver's window button is lit. My wife has a Mazda Tribute which was about $10K less and all of the buttons on every door are lit, even the drivers door lock button.
  • Options
    I am still trying to determine whether the 2007 Highlander is on a different Platform than the 2006 Highlander. From all the information I have seen on the differences between the 2006 and the 2007, the only thing different are that the Headlights and some safety features are now standard.

Meanwhile in looking at a recent issue of Motor Trend a comment is made about the 2007 Camry Platform, "Best overall package on a superb new platform".

I can find nothing anywhere to indicate whether the 2007 Highlander is on this "superb new platform" or whether it is is still on the 2006 Camry Platform.
  • Options
    The platform is the same. Word is that sometime in the spring of '07, an all new Highlander will appear as as '08. This will be a total re-design, i.e., new platform.
  • Options
    The 2007 Highlander platform is the same as what? The same as the 2007 Camry or the 2006 Camry?

It would seem strange to keep the 07 Highlander on an 06 platform. Or would it?
  • Options
    It's basically the same as the 06 Camry platform. The Highlander has been the same since it's inception in 2001. The only change was in 2004 when they added the 3.3L engine and 5-speed automatic but the basic platform, i.e., body style, chassis, interior, etc. is the same. Toyota/Lexus has historically done complete redesigns on their models every 5 years but I guess they decided to get more mileage out of the current Highlander design. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    tornd has it right... here's some additional detail

The '01 HL is the same platform as the '02 Camry. The '08 HL platform will be the same as the '06 Avalon. (I believe that's when the Avalon changed.) The HL was originally coming out as an '07. I'm not sure why they delay... There are many perhaps and maybes, but who of us really knows.

The early pics of the 08 HL were on the net back in March/April, but aren't found now. It looked something like a Chrysler Pacifica / Mercedes R Class. I didn't care for it's looks, so bought the '06 model.
  • Options
    Perhaps my problem is semantics. i.e. what is an automotive platform? I do not think of a "platform" as body style, interior etc. Things you see on casual observation but things such as the chasis and under the skin components only. And definitely not its appearance.

And I originally assumed that the 2007 Highlander would go on the 2007 Camry platform. Apparently incorrectly. But assuming the exteral appearance would remain the same.

When you factor in appearance then it is obvious to me it is not on a 2007 Camry Platform, according to your definition.
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Gasman1 was talking about the platforms, not the interior styling, I do believe.
  • Options
    Correct, the platform is the "bones" which the body and interior is built upon. We don't see the bones (unless we're under the vehicle and then we see only part of them such as the suspension and undercarriage). We see the body and interior which can (and normally) changes more often than the platform will. However, I've never known a platform to totally update/change without major body and interior changes.

The sping time picture looked like the Pacific/R-Class. A picture a few weeks ago looked more like a 4 Runner or Seqoua (sp). We should know for sure in the next month or so due to the major car shows.
  • Options
    I was responding to Gasman1's comment that "Tomd" had made.
    Where Gasman1 indicated "Tomd has it right". This after Tomd had said that the "body style and interior were the same" when refering to "Platform".

It does seem like we are all on the same page now however. Just semantics when I refer to "platform" I do not mean body style and interior but the under the car stuff. In other words the unseen stuff by car buyers.
  • Options
    A good friend of mine was at the LA International Auto Show and confirmed there were no leaks being made by Toyota reps on the 2008 Highlander.

Many of you expect a disclosure at the Detroit Show but I wouldn't hold my breath. Although I do hope that "you" are right.

So far all we really know is that it will be one the Avalon platform. First we had someone who seemed to be in the know saying it would look like a Lexus 350 I believe it was. And now we have a our latest clue indicating it will look more like the Sequoia.

Please tell me that it is not going to look like a Baby Sequoia.

The suspense is killing me..................LOL
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I think Toyota has a vested interest in keeping the similar size Lexus and Toyota vehicles different enough so the Lexus buyer thinks he's getting something for that extra $10,000 ;)
  • Options
    Now that makes sense. Why couldn't I think of that? (smile)

Speaking of the Lexus, rumors have been floating that the 08 Highlander will have a bigger engine. In effect the same engine that is in the Lexus 350. A 3.5 Liter engine in lieu of the current 3.3L engine.

If so that would also seem to be improbable since then who would want to pay 10k more for a Lexus with the same engine as the Highlander?
  • Options
    The same people who paid more when both had the same 3.0L V6 and then both had the same 3.3L V6. They're paying for a) up-scale interior (higher quality materials); b)quieter interior; c) ouside body looks (subjective to anyone); d) Lexus service (quality and duration); and e) status.

Many who purchase Lexus may not even consider Toyota. If they want a Lexus and can afford it, more power to them. The only Lexus I would consider... Never mind - I deleted it as I don't want to take this off-topic.
  • Options
    I have never been one to buy a vehicle to impress others. Except when I was a teenager and couldn't afford an iimpressive vehicle anyway...................(smile)

From everything I have read on the Lexus vs. Toyota in automotive evaluation studies it is not worth the 10k extra.

In fact my recent issue of Motor Trend rated the Lexus RX 350/400h at 3 1/2 stars meanwhile the Toyota Highlander came in at 4 stars. With a "sum up" on the Highlander as "More Credible Than Lexus RX".

For whatever that is worth.
  • Options
    The new HL will definitely have the new 3.5L engine IMO since it is used in the Camry and Avalon. The 3.3L is not appearing in any of the new Toyota models, i.e., re-designs. I'm quite sure it is being phased out.
  • Options
    A few other nit picks:

The electric mirror controls should also be lit a night. You have to basically feel for them on the dash. There is actually room on the driver's armrest with the window switches and lock button. Hopefully, in the next generation HL, they will put it there and light everything.

Also, the seat heaters are acceptable but kind of weak. Could heat up faster and warmer. I wouldn't doubt that the new HL will have 2-position seat heaters with a low and high setting.
  • Options
    luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Hi guys, for several months I have been trying to decide what vehicle to purchased . I have test driven the Hyundai 2006 Azera , 2007 Infiniti G35, 2007 Camry , 2006 Prius , 2007 RAV4, the 2007 Highlander , 2007 Honda Accord, 2006 Honda Pilot and the 2006 Honda Ridgeline .
    The Highlander fills all my needs , except for one thing I find very uncomfortable the front seat individual armrest.
    My question is : Is it an aftermarket center console with armrest ???
    If so where can be purchased ?
    Like the Camry or the RAV4 .
    Thanks
    Lou
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I agree with that! How much can some extra LED's cost? :mad:

There is simply no excuse for key feature buttons to not be lit.
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You are so right. the window switches and lock buttons should all be lit. This started to bug me from day one. Only test drove the SUV in the daytime.
  • Options
    I just kind of assumed that those were the little "extras" that they save for the Limited but I guess not. I too test drove during the day and then with the first night drive after I bought the Limited, I was amazed by the absence of lit buttons.
  • Options
    phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    Some posts were made about this and the details are available at link title

Phil
  • Options
    phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    With current discussion on what SHOULD'VE been on the HL but isn't, I'd add:

Memory seat settings.

With our old manual seats it took all of 2 seconds to readjust (DW and I are different heights and preferences).

With the electric seats it seems like at least 1/2 minute for the little motors to get everything back to where I prefer it and the same when she takes it after I've driven.

I agree with the lighted window buttons but this seat memory thing will make a difference on our next vehicle purchase. Ours is a 2003 Limited so it'll be many years until replacement time but I wanted to start 'hoping' now.

Phil
  • Options
    luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Hi Phil
    Thank you very much I found exactly what I wanted.
    Lou
  • Options
    feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I own a 2001 HL, and have found it to be a wonderful, dependable, and comfortable vehicle. In 2001, it was assembled on the same assembly line as the Lexus, and shared the same engine, tranny and suspension. Is the current HL still assembled alongside the Lexus?
  • Options
    emateoemateo Member Posts: 2
    1-11-07

I just bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander (as used car) from the Toyota Car Dealer in Burlingame CA.

The car only has 17000 miles from been used as a rental car from Hertz.

Wondering if Hertz did all the services needed as per the owner manual?

Any way, I been reading about these cars since I got mine, and I can see that some drivers had reported problems with the gas pedal and at times they reported a problem with the brakes (car not making a total stops).

Does any body in here a highlande 2006 owner had any of these problems? I just hope that mine does not give me any of the hussles, I just committed to 4 years of car payments thinking that this is very safe car.

I will defenetely will appreciated any comments (positive or negative) about this 2006 car.

Thank you

Ed
  • Options
    goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    I believe that is correct.
    We also have a 2001 Limited as well as a 2002 Limited and feel the same as you. They both have been (and still are) great vehicles.
  • Options
    Aren't the RX330/350 are now assembled in Canada and the Highlander still in Japan?
  • Options
    pttrkpttrk Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2007 Limited. It came with the Tow Prep package. I installed an after market tow bar but cannot find the plug for the trailer. The salesman said it was under the passenger side rear light. I can't seem to find anything there. Can someone direct me to the right area? Thanks
  • Options
    webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    I have an '04. I'm not sure about the 07's if it's in the same or different spot, but mine is on the left rear...look for a 1 1/2 inch diameter black grommit with split lines radiating out from the center. Should be behind the rear mud guard on the body underside. To get to the coiled-up wiring harness, you have to remove some of the rear inside deck panels. Otherwise, don't ask the saleman, ask one of the techs, they're the ones that work on 'em.
    Also, I had an after-market DrawTite installed and asked the professional installer if he'd use the factory towing wiring harness...he said 'nope', it takes longer trying to fish it out than for him to just splice into the wiring at the taillights. I had a 7-prone plug put in for the electric trailer brakes and a brake controller put in place of the aux. 12V cig plug under the console. Nice and clean.
  • Options
    I haven't had any problems with my '06 HL. I don't recall seeing that many posts concerning teh '06 models. There were several concerning the '05 models. Enjoy!
  • Options
    That is good to hear since I am getting into the Market for an 07 within the next couple months.

I was starting to get a little leary what with all the posts about various problems with transmissions etc.
  • Options
    nathanincnathaninc Member Posts: 12
    I drove a rental highlander and a sequoia. Both had smooth engines, the ride was nice. But everything from looks to interior was just bland. The controls and buttons were exactly like my 94 camry from 10 years ago. nothing looked modern whatsover. I would not purchase either of these vehicles.
  • Options
    goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    Good morning Nathanic,

Being the owner of 2 H/L Limited and very satisfied with them both, I am curious as to what vehicles you are looking at to purchase.

Regards, Philip
  • Options
    For what it is worth I love "bland" vs the "ugly", "mean" and "aggesive" look of many of today vehicles. But perhaps that is because I was born back in the 30s. Give me functional and a non aggressive or offensive appearing vehicle every time..............(smile)
  • Options
    my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    I would like to hear the comments on whether a hood protctor really works to protector your vehicle, hood and windshield from flying debris when you are driving on the road AND whether it increase MPG. Thanks
  • Options
    As for the "hood protector increasing your gas mileage, forget it.

What it will protect you from is nicks on the hood. But many protectors just propel the rocks, gravel into the windshield instead of the hood.
  • Options
    emateoemateo Member Posts: 2
    1-22-07

Does any body recommends any specific brand type, I am looking for some front seats covers?

Thank you

Ed
  • Options
    IMHO - it's more beneficial to a vehicle with a front hood edge that's lower to the ground than the HL. Never-the-less, the protector can take/deflect a lot of bug hits and a few rocks. Those hits would've impacted the hood front edge or the windshield.

Toyota revised the hood protector in 2005 with the model change. The one we had on our 2002 HL was better built and quieter. I've already taken the new one off of our 2006 due to wind noise. I would NOT receommend a Toyota hood protector for 2005+ HLs.
  • Options
    mmcguire408mmcguire408 Member Posts: 1
    I agree that the hood protector isn't very beneficial; however Toyota has a product called Autobahnd that serves as a hood protector of sorts for the whole front of the vehicle. It is a clear coating that is only visible when looking for it. It covers the hood, mirrors, front bumper, and even the bottom of the front bumper where some people might scratch from pulling up to far and hitting a curb. It has proven to be very effective. It costs about six hundred dollars(one time fee)and it is guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.
  • Options
    my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone used this - ClearBra. The costs is about $100, for hood, fender and mirror:
    http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html
  • Options
    dtgrosdtgros Member Posts: 2
    I have the same exact problem. It has been to the dealer several times, but they don't have a clue. The valve cover was removed and the engine is very clean. This is going on over a year.
  • Options
    sushiloversushilover Member Posts: 14
    The "ClearBra" uses the 3M Scotchgard film, which is also sold in rolls. A Canadian body shop installed a neat 6 inch wide strip on the front edge of my HL hood for US$40. From my experience, this is by far the area most susceptible to small rocks, etc. so I judged that this was a good (small) investment.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how the heater for the 3rd row seat works? I am assuming that it is just electric heat with 2 fan speeds. I wouldn't think they are running hot water lines back there. Thanks
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    To run a 12 volt electric heater for the 3rd row seat would require a lot of current. It's likely that water lines are run back there, I heard that the Mazda MPV minvan does that.
  • Options
    ch1133ch1133 Member Posts: 43
    I have constant rattle that sounds like a screw in a plastic container vibrating, sound comes from behind radio/clima panel.

I have removed radio stack and installed foam between wire brackets and dashbaord, did not feel anything rattling.

HELP- did anyone find the culprit ?
  • Options
    ajsystemsajsystems Member Posts: 6
    I hope this forum is a proper place for this message, just a random report after 138,000 miles.

I bought a 2001 V6 AWD LTD with leather, heated seats, JBL, moonroof, tow pkg and more.

We've loved in since before day 1. Mileage is a problem. Not the MPG's. I just can't stop driving it. Real world New England, mix of hi-way (no towing, just the package), city, suburban has constantly shown 18.9 on the car's message board, matched by tank-by-tank mileage checks. First 30,000 was 19.4 on Bridgestone OEMs, but after switching to Michelin Cross Terrains, 18.9 has been the norm (premium every time, though).
    Sadly, despite the 18.9, I can't seem to get over 23 on the hi-way (72 on cruise most times). The '01 had a 4 speed and newer 5 speeds should be better.

Reliability has been, as expected, bullet-proof. The car was purchased on 3/31/01, 6 weeks after the New England debut. Battled quite a bit to get a remarkable discount (end of quarter?). Brakes replaced front (rotors too) and rear at 70,000. Fresh natural oil every 3k, rotate 8k.
    Between traction control, vehicle skid control, AWD and ABS, I have never been able to skid or spin a tire on this vehicle (and believe, as a Massachusetts driver, there are more than many opportunities to try both often!

One disappointment is the interior color choices. Perhaps marketing it as 'an SUV your wife will let you buy (or will buy herself), two pastels seem proper to Toyota, but I hope that new Tundra has graphite or darker inside or they blew it big-time in the USA.

Hope these experiences help someone. They helped me. We just added a 07 RAV4 LTD for my wife. Expecting more of the same.
  • Options
    Best ever mileage on my 2004 (3.3L with 5 sp) was 23.9 for 767 miles using premium. Using regular 22.6. I also cruise in the low 70s. I don't think we've average 19 mpg overall. Lots of short hops in the winter drags the mileage down to 13-14.