Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    Maybe Yakima or other companies that specialize in bike racks , etc. might have some ideas.

Just a thought....
  • Options
    Wow, that was fast!!! You must hang out on the web almost as much as I do . Glad you liked them.

Happy HL'ing.......
  • Options
    If anyone is interested, I've posted some photos of my GST (Gulf States Toyota) Bluestone Limited Limited Limited <g> at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotahighlanderclub. Suggestions gladly accepted....
  • Options
    mkstringmkstring Member Posts: 53
    Wanna see grammar? I'm from Texas :).

After the repair of our HL, we noticed those metal loops (presumably for getting towed out of mud - hehe), are not flush with each other. The one of the side we wrecked is about 2-3 inches further underneath the vehicle. I can't see any physical issue with it after looking underneath - should I take the issue up with the repair shop? Since I'm not much into offroading, I don't see much of a use for them, although my Honda had them to (and let me tell you, mudding in a Honda Accord is a sight to see).

TIA
  • Options
    smallzsmallz Member Posts: 24
    I believe those metal loops are used for securing the vehicle during transport by ship, rail, or highway carrier. I would double check that your car was repaired properly. Maybe have it checked at a different body shop before going back to the one that did your repair.
  • Options
    Sorry friend...too many parentheses.

p.s. Did you really have to expose our Texas-speak?
  • Options
    Just checked the site. It's not quite ready yet and they don't list the Highlander specifically. I emailed them and told them to let us know here when it's ready.

Happy HL'ing....
  • Options
    sstobersstober Member Posts: 14
    Dianne; I'm not sure whether you've responded or made comments concerning the HL windnoise. I wrote Toyota head office about the windnoise and they said that I should inform my dealer; when I mentioned it to my dealer, they acted like it was the first time that they had heard about it and reacted like I was hearing things. So, now the old 'catch-22' is in full play - no where to turn. What are your thoughts on the topic as a Toyota dealer and regular contributor to this site?
  • Options
    dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    It all starts somewhere. There are folks having troubles on other boards with other cars and some areas never see anyone with a specific problem. I have sold at least 40 HLs personally since their debut, and my dealership as a whole has sold 2x that, yet I haven't had one come here with a wind vibe noise. I haven't even heard of one of the cars I have sold *having* the problem. I have heard it spoken about here -- that and the roof rack whistle.. but none of the ones I have sold seem to be a problem ::knocking wood:: so please bear with the dealer and let them, along with Toyota, isolate the problem and solve it. Your dealer may be truthin' ya because were you to bring it here, my service folk would tell you the same thing: never had one yet with that problem. Let your dealer help you. They want to. It's their job.

Dianne
  • Options
    nhebettynhebetty Member Posts: 2
    Hi Carol: I got my HL 4 cylinder 2WD in Silver last April 13 (Good Friday!! indeed) It has the standard option and a few other options like 5 pcs. mat, alarm system, alloy wheels, luggage rack, cargo net, power driver seat.
    I am very happy with my choice, I have not experienced any whistling or other noise at all. It drives very soft and smooth and very quite engine. I am of average in height and do not need to climb up to get in.
    I drive in the San Francisco area, so some parts are hilly and I have an experience where the HL seems to slow down a bit going uphill. But overall 4 cylinder is good enough for regular commute driving to work and I got 22 miles per gallon on mix city and freeway driving.

I paid $1000 over the dealer's invoice and I hope this can help you decide to get one or not.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hottest New Vehicles

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    ldc2ldc2 Member Posts: 4
    I factory ordered a white limited HL on Feb 9. It has been almost 90 days. What have been the timelines on receiving factory ordered HL's? I live in Colorado.
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Does anyone have the web-cite for Dianne's dealership?
  • Options
    jreajrea Member Posts: 26
    FYI - I saw your post about the towing loops (or whatever) at the rear. Had to check out the placement for myself on my week-old HL. Indeed, the loops are offset. The left loop is set back from the bumper about two inches or so further than the right loop. Sounds like your HL may have been put back together properly!
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You may want to check her profile, it's not considered proper to post it in the open.

Or you can e-mail me and I'll send you a link.
  • Options
    jscottojscotto Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my HL from autobuytel.com dealer (about 60 miles away Buffalo, NY - I live in Rochester, NY) and had the best experience buying a car that I think anyone could have. I paid only $500 over invoice on the loaded HL limited (msrp $34,765). I spent only 30 minutes on the phone getting the deal and 20 minutes signing the paper work after delivery came in approx. 4 weeks later. Drove away in the beautiful HL with no problems with the numbers or terms of financing.

Although I absolutely love the HL (drives nicer than my bros 2000 BMW 3 series), even the upgraded JBL sound system lacks a good sound. I had a 97 Nissan Maxima with Bose speakers which had a sound quality nothing could compare to. The reason the HL sound system is so muffled is because of the location of the speakers. All of the speakers are on the lower portion of the doors (under the seats) rather than at least two speakers on the dash board. It's too bad they set it up this way. Even if you install your own system, I don't think it would make much difference unless you're lying on the floor.

I also didn't get the center console until the EPA issues are taken care of. It doesn't make much sense, however the dealer I spoke to stated that there was an issue with the weight distribution on the console. Anyway, the cup holders on the side of the drivers seat suck.

No wind noise on my HL. My cross beams on the luggage rack are set towards the back of the HL (about 15 and 25 inches from the back of the luggage rack). Toyota may have solved the windnoise problem by delivering the HL this way.

Contact me if you want the name of the dealership and salesman.
  • Options
    Well, the problem with the site was me! Seems the site was built to be used only with MS Internet Explorer. I happen to be one of the last holdouts using Netscape.

I thought it only fair that I let everybody know. My apologies for the confusion.

http://www.wctoyotasport.com
  • Options
    sstobersstober Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the response Dianne. - Steve
  • Options
    rx300fanrx300fan Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious as to what is the actual time to 0 to 60 for the Highlander....cant seem to find that info anywhere on the net?
  • Options
    rfhourfhou Member Posts: 47
    osoriob, the wind noise I'm talking about is the high pitched growl. I received my information from the customer service representative at my dealership, who had talked to the service manager at my dealership. What I heard the customer service rep. say, is that the service guy had finally figured it out on his own (trim around the windshield is making the noise--always on the driver's side). Also, the service guy had just returned from a meeting in California where this was one of the topics discussed. So, others at Toyota should know about this fix.

Once fixed, I'll post part number, desc. etc.. Hope this helps.

The regular wind noise doesn't bother me, I think it's just part of driving vehicle with a high profile.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    steve_ Apr 30, 2001 8:41pm

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    filmkidfilmkid Member Posts: 1
    After three weeks of intense (frustrating) auto shopping, I took delivery of one gorgeous Highlander yesterday. It's a V6 2WD limited, in Indigo blue with the fender flares in the contrasting (silver gray) paint. I paid 30k and it listed for 33.5K. I read lots of postings regarding the Bluestone, but I have to say that I believe the Indigo is the sexiest blue I've ever seen on any vehicle! I purchased this from Stone Mountain Toyota outside Atlanta, and had a good experience there with Dale Reynolds. I had been wanting a Highlander all along, but had to convince my wife. This one, parked in the bright sunlight, stopped us both dead in our tracks. I've driven it 60 miles, and already have recieved 3 compliments and received many stares!Anyone else have this color combination?
  • Options
    osoriobosoriob Member Posts: 44
    That sounds like an awesome color combination, please post pictures when possible.
  • Options
    shl72953shl72953 Member Posts: 53
    This month's Car and Driver magazine has a comparison test with the new Explorer and the Chevy Trailblazer. It shows a 0-60 time of 8.8 seconds. I don't think it would win anything at a drag strip but at a hair under 4000 pounds it moves well enough to stay ahead of semis when merging onto the interstates.
    Wally
  • Options
    bobincanadabobincanada Member Posts: 7
    After installing my brand new Cross Terrains on my brand new HL, I went looking for dirt roads that would challenge. The road chosen was a typical back country road here in northern Canada. It was hilly, still some snow on some parts and lots of turns. The HL took it all...until I reached a low point surrounded by the spring melt and runoff. The road was narrow and washed out. I stopped, backed up (impossible to turn around at this point) and the driver's side sank into a mire of water, sand and gravel. Mine is a fully loaded Limited, V6, 4WD, VSC etc.

It would not drive out. Rocking to escape got me in so deep that I could barely push open my door. The road was barely above the ditches, which were full of running water. Found out later that the road had been frozen up until a day or two before. Timing is everything.

After walking three miles to a phone, the tow truck arrived to take me to my HL. A quick check with my dealer to ask if the rear tow hooks could be used to winch me out. They said yes.

The experienced tow truck driver would go no closer than 25 yards from my HL. He parked at a safe distance on a drier part of the road, attached the cable to the lower left side rear hook and pulled me out very slowly and carefully.

Days later, there was a shimmy at 100 km/hr that was not noticed sooner because getting stuck occurred during my break-in period during which I had not driven over 90 km/hr. Some mud, still on the inside of the wheels, was causing an out of balance situation. The mud was beyond the reach of a regular wash. We are now cleaned up and like new again...except now able to enjoy 100 km/hr plus.

I plan to get even with that washed out road next week.
  • Options
    zemmy2zemmy2 Member Posts: 5
    My new Car and Driver gives a 0-60 time for the V6 of 8.8 seconds.

Have over 1K on my 4cyl. Highlander with no problems. Only had the wind noise issue once. I still find the 4cyl is fine for mid western driving and the ride is great. It has been a night and day difference compared to piece of garbage Contour that we had. Funny thing is that the Highlander gets better gas mileage!
  • Options
    mark495mark495 Member Posts: 11
    My HL was factory ordered Feb 15 (about 80 days ago) and I have not received the 3-4 week advanced notice of arrival at the dealership yet.

I'm trying not to be bothersome but I called my sales person (in northern Illinois)to find he is no longer with Toyota. The sales manager reassigned me to a new person and said to expect more like 120 days.

Have you received any advanced notice of arrival yet? About how long before arrival at the dealership has the advanced notice been received by other factory orderers?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'm hearing much better arrival dates. Maybe your dealer is backed up because he gave such a good deal, but I'm not getting quotes past 60 days. Is the order for an oddball car?
  • Options
    Yes, it was an oddball order for a fully equipped V-6 limited, AWD, with center consul, tow prep (TO) and hitch (UQ). The sales person tried to talk me out of the TO & UQ because without these he would have been able to locate and trade and have a vehicle within 60 days or less, I was told. But I hope to own this SUV for many years and it's worth waiting a few months instead of settling for something not exactly as wanted and then living with it for years (which I have done in the past).
  • Options
    Bummer.

The very first thing I'd ask someone I was ordering a car for is "HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN HERE?"

Car people tend to hop around, although there are a good many of us that have been with Toyota for decades.. (me, 2 decades) and at dealers for YEARS. Like it or not, you are involving yourself in a relationship with a person AT a dealership. Make sure they are not brand new and have been at a dealership for a long time. One year minimum.

Now, before you folks flame broil me, I have to clarify: to drive a car right off the lot, it won't matter. Or might not. But, if you are special building a car for someone, look for plaques for Sales Society, Master Sales Society, long-term Pride Certified... and ask how long they are with Toyota in their area and with their dealership.

I make it a point to let people know "I am not going anywhere" and I will see their order through. Unless I drop dead from stress or a myocardial infarction at 42 right now, I am happy in my job and my boss is happy with me, and it's a good fit. Make sure your ordering salesperson has a History there at the dealer you land with. Mark, I am sorry things didn't work out there with your order, because HL orders are some of the hardest to manage due to the Japanese build schedules and limitations as such. I am not shocked that at another 120 days, they are in effect admitting it had to be re-done.

Dianne
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, the Michelin Cross Terrains, despite the name, are not designed to go off-road (that's what the Michelin LTX M/S are for). Think of them more as an all-season street tire, so I wouldn't venture too far off the path. As Michelin advertises the Cross Terrains, "the rugged good looks of a light truck tire, but the comfort and handling of a luxury car tire".

For more information about tires, check out the Tires, tires, tires topic in the Aftemarket & Accessories message board.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    golfnitgolfnit Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone tried to take off our HL door panels? I got most of the panel seperated from the door and I loosened the screw behind the door latch, but the center of the panel still seemed to be stuck to something. Not wanting to fiddle around and not having the specs, I stopped there. I know there was at least one posting from someone who had bought the refernec books. I was trying to figure out what the size of our speakes are to upgrade the audio. Thanks to anyone with info.
  • Options
    hawkeye70hawkeye70 Member Posts: 43
    To SJZ:
    Back on March 23 (post #1442) you mentioned that you ordered the 4 factory service manuals for the HL. Have you received them yet, and if so, what do you think of them? Several of us here are interested. Thanks.
  • Options
    zeb3zeb3 Member Posts: 7
    I was in the same situation and bailed out after wating for 5 weeks since the dealer didn't even have a clue as to whether it was even on the production list. Moreover Cliffy in here enlightened me that some of the dealers (not all of them though) may be doing this to "take you out of the market" or something like that. I bought my HL V6 Ltd with the whole 9 yards couple of days ago from another dealer who had it in the lot. I just love my HL. All the best.
  • Options
    Your responses prompted me to contact my dealer in northern Illinois again. Talked with a different sales manager who looked up my order which showed it amidst cars arriving in 2 weeks. But my car actually didn't have a date associated with it, so "don't hold them to that."

Originally I was told 90-120 days and its only been 80 days now so I think everything is OK, I'll let you know how it goes.

This bulletin board has been very informative. Keep it up!
  • Options
    ldc2ldc2 Member Posts: 4
    Update on message 2115. The dealer said he has not been notified of the arrival date of my HL ordered 2/9/01 - may know more on 5/7/01 but it might be July which would put the order wait at 150 days. Has anyone had to wait this long?
  • Options
    I smell sushi.

Dianne
  • Options
    hrsdvmhrsdvm Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery of our HL this afternoon. Got a V-6 FWD with the packages we desired. Our salesman (Rick at Del Toyota in Thorndale, PA) was very helpful, unlike several at other dealerships. I called a number of them so see if they had any models available with what we were looking for, or if they were able to trade with other dealerships for such a model. Most salespeople were adamant that what they had was all that was available, and that they didn't know what packages were coming in. They obviously weren't interested in making an effort to make a sale. The best thing I did was to use the phone and fax to get the best price. For our vehicle, invoice was $24,645 MSRP was $27,924, TMV was $26,944 and we paid $26,500. Our vehicle also came with wheel locks at no charge. We did purchase the Platinum Warranty from the dealer for $690 or so. He told us that the regular price is over $1000, which is on par with what I've read in these postings. For what is covered in the warranty it seems to be pretty good peace of mind. Plus our finance rate dropped from 7.75% to 7.5% for getting the warranty.
  • Options
    rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    Responding to Golf nit #2135. Please take a look at the power window/door lock panel. There is one screw underneath that panel. The way to take out the panel is to use flat head screw driver tape it with masking tape (to prevent scratch). Use the screw driver to get the upper portion (where the power door lock is) up first. After this the whole [non-permissible content removed] will be able to be pulled out. Look for screw underneath and take it off.

This should help. Please also note there should be another screw near the door handle.
  • Options
    hialeahmariahialeahmaria Member Posts: 45
    Well, it's been a while since I've posted here. My HL now has 989 miles and tomorrow makes a month that I've had it. Absolutely flawless! I am truly impressed with everything about it and I'm totally happy with it. Still getting 16 mpg (city), but I don't mind. My 3.0 V6 Accord coupe did 17 mpg, so for the difference in weight and hp (20 more hp with the HL) and the comfort and space, it's all good! Thanks to all for info, updates, experiences. I can't go on-line without checking this board. Congrats to all HL owners out there! Happy trails :-)
    Maria
  • Options
    golfnitgolfnit Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your prompt reply, I was stuck.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I still find it hard to believe that I almost bought the GMC over Toyota. I was following the 2002 Envoy closely before it hit the ground in Feb 2001.

I have owned Toyota's and Nissan's for many years, but I got excited when GM announced it was offering 270HP inline 6 cylinder and a bigger redeisgned suv this year. To make things even more attractive my wife parents worked at GM and the Envoy could of been had for 10% below invoice.

Well after many many discussion's, mostly with myself. I decided that the HL had everything we really needed and we always loved the RX300. So I ordered my Silver HL 4X2 LTD for 1K over invoice and expect delivery in June.

Just for fun I visited the Envoy discussion today and sadly I read all the post about how GM has still not changed the way they do business.

2002 GM owners are dealing with serious recall issue's and little things continue to plague customers who are paying 35k for this car. Check engine lights, poor fit and finish, loose center consoles etc..

I am so glad I stayed with my gut feeling about which car to buy.

I would buy a GM over any other domestic car even today, but unfortunately Japan will continue to get my money and I will get there high quality products.

It appears to obvious that 2100 post on this board and the demand and popularity of this car is exactly was Toyota was hoping for.

One final question, I was wondering if anyone else seriously considered buying an American suv over the HL?
  • Options
    sjzsjz Member Posts: 33
    This was a real long book review, but it somehow got lost in cyber-space when I went to post it!
    Here's the short version:
    The 12 pound box of books came within 2 weeks of ordering. They are not quite night stand material. I get the feeling they were translated from Japanese to English by someone who doesn't speak English too well, but deciphering them is no big deal. That aside, the are chock full of info, with several diagnostic tests (i.e. audio system, A/C system, etc.) which may be performed without any special tools. The 2 volume (~$100 each) Chassis/Engine set has a common index, and has lots of diagnostics, diagrams, component removal / replacement / testing procedures, and specs. There is even a section which gives a part number to each component in an exploded view. I don't know if the number they give is the actual # you would use to order the part. They are not much on verbiage, and do leave out the nice descriptions of the engine, tranny, etc. that I've become used to in Ford, GM, Chrysler, and even Nissan manuals. Just the facts, which is OK. The ~$16 tranny manual consists of exploded views of the trany's innards...not vital, and probably the one you could leave off the list. The electrical book ~$70 has color schematics, and makes it easy to trace wiring between any 2 points. There is a page for each system which describes how that system operates.
    I paid a total of $327 with shipping and tax for all 4 books. They do contain a lot of info, and are probably worth the price. If $327 is a lot of money for your budget, you should probably pass. They are nice to have for the curious, but whether or not most of us will ever *need* them...I think (hope) not. I'm NOT sorry I bought them.
    -Steve
  • Options
    svtcobraconvsvtcobraconv Member Posts: 85
    After looking at SUV's for several years, we decided to wait until something a little more carlike was available. We never really needed 4WD, and we didn't like the idea of an SUV with rear 2WD. So we wanted a FWD SUV that would give reasonable gas mileage with cargo space close to our Sable Wagon. We've purchased several new Ford and GM products, and quite honestly never have had problems with the cars, deals, or dealerships. We looked at Escape and Tribute, but they were too small and seemed cheaply built. I guess the price reflects that. When we drove the Tribute, we just plain felt unsafe in it. Of course, neither my wife or I would want to be seen in an Aztec. At the risk of offending someone, they are probably the ugliest thing out of Detroit in years. The Rendevous is not much better. We also dislike the two-tone look all these vehicles have with the lower cladding colors. When we first heard of the Highlander, it seemed to fit all of our criteria. Upon seeing it, the overall looks convinced us we would seriously consider purchasing one.

Just an observation... Based on the postings here, It seems that the 2WD versions are extremely popular, perhaps generally for the same reasons as for us. It seems that our region/dealers disproportionately configure far too many 4WD units, either because the demand was not anticipated correctly or that they prefer to sell the higher priced 4WD when customers really only want 2WD.
  • Options
    mdekruytermdekruyter Member Posts: 7
    I was told by a long-term friend at Lexus not to buy the 2WD. The resale of a 2WD will be crap because no one will pay the toyota/highlander high price for only 2WD. The 4WD will pay for itself in resale value. Also, if you're going to get 2WD, you don't need an SUV.
  • Options
    purcatpurcat Member Posts: 13
    I purchased my HL Limited in central Ohio, mid Feb.approx.$3,000 under MSRP. Owning a HL is a very up-lifting experience. It is great to drive and when I open my moonroof, it's like a convertable!!People seem very interested and always ask how I like it. It's fun driving something that there aren't many around. I love the easy in and out, since I have a back problem-also, I don't mind not having a center console because my purse and whatever, can go there. Maybe they could enlarge ash-tray area to hold items??? I'm anxious to see crash test results-sometimes those are somewhat surprising-even if I do feel safer up higher than a car! I sincerely hope it doesn't matter a great deal on the break-in period, my dealership didn't mention it and I did read the manual pretty well. I have always had GM cars, but hope to continue with Toyota quality. It's been great reading other perspectives. I noticed the noise with back windows down at 40ish, ouch!! I also heard the popping sound up front!! One thing that bothers me is a glove compartment rattle, it's in the door. Small complaint!!!!
  • Options
    "Also, if you're going to get 2WD, you don't need an SUV. "

Really? I wonder when Lexus is going to discontinue the 2wd RX300.

I guess we have to admit the definition of "SUV" is changing.....
  • Options
    mojojojo1mojojojo1 Member Posts: 6
    Please can someone confirm I'm not missing something. I have a Highlander with Bridgestone tires, and reading the manual and door sticker the tire pressure should be 30lbs in all 4 tires (I don't do any "unusual" driving).

The vehicle was delivered with 40lbs in each tire - I assume the dealer did not reduce the pressure as he should have done ?

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    hobie1981hobie1981 Member Posts: 23
    Reduce the pressure down to 30 lbs per tire. The dealer forgot...you'll notice a big improvement in ride quality. Hobie
  • Options
    mojojojo1mojojojo1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks hobie 1981