Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    squeakersadiesqueakersadie Member Posts: 10
    I awaited the 2002 Olds Bravada since the middle of last year... even wore out the link to the web site looking for the latest information. Finally arrived in 4wd and pewter to my small town GM dealer (and friend). Test drive revealed cheesy plastic
    dash and interior, but leather was nice and ride was good.. and lots of electronic gadgets to distract from the road. All in all I'm sold. Wife says,"You always say don't buy GM in debut year, and GM can't compete with foreign quality." So we travel to Oklahoma City to check out the competition. First test drive is a limited Millennium silver HL. WOW!!!! Next: ACura MDX. WOW! Must compare to Bravada, so move on to Olds dealership to test drive again. NONE AVAILABLE! They've all been recalled/impounded. Wife is right! Next: cruise dealerships looking for colors for the HL. Last stop: Bob Howard Toyota in OKC. Finds white limited 4WD with gold package and loaded in Texas. Arrival date 1 week. $2000 off MSRP. Call in two days..vehicle not available. ARGHH!!! But,Bluestone limited, ivory leather, loaded, available from Arkansas (where, unlike Texas they don't drill ugly holes in the front bumper to mount the ugly front license holder). Arrived in 2 days, picked up the following weekend, no noise,beautiful ride, $2000 off MSRP, can't say enough good about the dealer, and life is good! Downside is 1) is my local GM dealer still my friend?, and 2) I just saw a pic of the Japanese console. WOW!! Now I want that, too. Any hope of ever upgrading existing HLs at any cost with that classy looking console? That's the straw that breaks the MDX's back..besides the $3-4000 and no discount off of MSRP. Happy motoring!
    JM
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    One possible new meaning for SUV might be Sexy Utility Vehicle ?? They seem to be getting better looking and more in tune with the needs of 90% of the population.. Especially the Highlander.

I've never owned a Toyota, owned a Mazda a few years ago (terrific car) but family members do own Toyota products and have been very pleased with them. I went to look at the HL a few weeks back and was most impressed with the amount of room inside as well as the fit and finish. I test drove an RX300 shortly after introduction but couldn't go for it because here in New England they weren't shipping any here WITHOUT sunroofs and with the sunroof, it comes up short on the headroom I need (I'm 6' 3"). So the HL is a perfect fit for me and I'm seriously considering it later this year after the frenzy drops off somewhat..

Is there any information yet on the crash testing of the HL ?
  • Options
    svtcobraconvsvtcobraconv Member Posts: 85
    I really don't buy the resale logic for paying for 4WD if you don't want/need it. This seems to be the standard response from salespeople who only have 4WD vehicles. I rather invest the extra $1500 somewhere else. Even at a modest 7% return, in ten years I would have to get $3000 more when selling it, not $1500. Also, the gas mileage will be somewhat better in a 2WD due to its final drive ratio and lighter weight. Even with Toyota quality, there is the consideration of maintenance and repair of something you didn't want in the first place. Beyond the financial reasons, the springs are a tad softer in the 2WD and it sits about 1/2" lower.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Judging by the recent spate of posts in here and other discussions, many people are using these Spring weekends to go out and buy new cars. Congrats to all on their new rides.

In housekeeping matters, please remember that the Terms of Use (participants agreement) frowns on dealer soliciting or promoting. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    bobincanadabobincanada Member Posts: 7
    Drew, if your post on tires was meant for me, I beg to differ. My problem was not my tires, which are Cross Terrains. My problem was not being off road with the wrong tires. My problem was being on the wrong road. I never left the road, but rather I was quite into the road.... up to the axles.
    You are correct that the Cross Terrains are great for most conditions. I plan to go to the Arctic Alpines for the snow, but only as necessary. No off road is planned.
  • Options
    ldc2ldc2 Member Posts: 4
    Rainy day in Colorado so I checked out the websites of local dealers and discovered there were 10 HL's with options close to what I wanted plus moonroof. Called dealer I was working with and loh and behold they had one similar coming in soon. So I will probably have it by mid May. Colorado dealers are now receiving several HL's with the FE, SR, TO, UK, LL, DJ, SK, CF options. Price we settled on was $3,000.00 off MSRP of $32,300.00

Note to Dianne, the answer to the sushi question- back home I call this bait? Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    lemondlemond Member Posts: 2
    For those of you out there who have installed aftermarket hitches; have the hitches matched those that fit a RX300? I took my HL to Sportsrack (local hitch and rack shop), manager took one look at the undercarriage and said that it looked exactly like the RX300 mounting (obviously, same chassis). So I went ahead and ordered the DrawTite hitch for a RX300, since manager mentioned that the actual "Highlander" hitch wouldn't be available for a month. Have also heard rumors of dealers sending HL owners to Lexus to get RX300 hitches. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck with aftermarket hitches, and if the RX300 hitch is viable for the HL. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    donato3donato3 Member Posts: 9
    What does a family or "in house" deal mean? The dealer's owner (a family friend) told me he'd sell a Highlander using this language? What are we talking about here - i.e., how much above invoice price?
    Also, would other owners of 2WD V-4 Highlander comment on gas mileage and power vs. a V-6 which is more expensive. Thanks.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    This is largely a regional thing. Here in VA, I don't get a lot of demand for the 2WD and resale is atrocious for them. I know this isn't the case in CA or FL.

Beyond the obvious advantage in snow, there is also a real benefit to AWD on dry pavement. Cornering is far more predictable in an AWD. I don't like FWD cars because of this. I don't like understeer at all and AWD and RWD cars are far less likely to suffer from this. For me, I would never consider a FWD if AWD were available.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Sorry, but with so many posts in the past 48 hour, I can't find your post and user name, but I gotta say... Congratulations! I think it is cool when SUVs are actually used in conditions that they were designed for. I must say that you exceeded the design limits, but I think it is cool any way.

I'm glad you got out safely and without damage. I'm sure you learned from this and I hope you continue to look for light duty off road uses for the HL.
  • Options
    gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    Just wanted to let everyone know that you can post questions to Toyota Customer Service online at the following address: http://owners.toyota.com/

This might come in handy for those who get frustrated with the "live" help....

Happy HL'ing......

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Now that's a good piece of trivia :-) Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Ah, I must have misread your previous post. Thanks for the clarification. In any case, I'm glad that you got out okay.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

P.S. Whereabouts in Canada are you located in?
  • Options
    norskmannorskman Member Posts: 11
    I got my hitch installed by UHual. It is the same one that the sell for the Lexus RX300 and fits the Higlander perfectly.
  • Options
    squeakersadiesqueakersadie Member Posts: 10
    It seems I remember someone posting earlier that they had purchased an extended service contract on the web at toyotawarranty.com. After looking at the site, I'm reminded of the old saying 'if it seems too good to be true...' and wondered if whoever posted or anyone else for that matter who has dealt with toyotawarranty.com would share their experiences. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi squeakersadie.

I didn't purchase from www.toyotawarranty.com, but did mention them in a previous post (as did someone else I think). However, I did print out the pricing of the various plans and presented it to the finance manager at the dealer where I bought our HL (after he quoted the "employee discount price"). I guess I got a better deal than even the employees get . He matched the price at toyotawarranty.com. I recommend you try this at the dealer where you purchase the HL as you will have more leverage there than with someone a thousand miles away. BTW, the dealer kept my printout. Obviously, they were either going to complain to ToyotaUS or were trying to prevent me from showing others...don't know which. Either way, I'm sure they still made money on it (which they are entitled to).

Happy HL'ing......
  • Options
    Hi steve.

I KNEW that was you last night!!!!

Maybe I'll get ICQ so we can dominate together next time!

Happy HL'ing.....
  • Options
    llamerollamero Member Posts: 10
    I'm considering removing and finding a new home for the side steps on a new HL. Does anyone know of any potential problems with this plan?
    Thanks
  • Options
    jporterfield1jporterfield1 Member Posts: 3
    thats just slang, us to mean they aren't having toi pay commision on the deal so they make a beeter deal for the friend but in my expeirnce it is no better deal than what you would usually get threough fleet or the net. And they usually have a salesperson deleiver and show the vehicle so they do pay him the commission. The salesperson is usually referred as the "house mouse" a they get all the house deals
  • Options
    sagmansagman Member Posts: 11
    I just special ordered a bluestone HL and am having second thoughts about the color. Part of the problem is that the only Highlander I've seen outside a brochure is a gold, which I test drove. There just aren't that many around on dealer lots in my area to check out, and it's hard to get a sense from a picture of how a car actually appears. I definitely want to feel comfortable with the color choice as I expect to keep the vehicle for many years.

Before I call the dealer and attempt to change the color (I'm leaning toward black), maybe I can get some feedback:

You hear people say that because dark vehicles are less visible they are therefore less safe. Sounds logical, but is there any real evidence this is true?

I've never owned a dark colored or black car. I've heard it's really annoying because dirt shows up so readily. Owners of black Highlanders, what say you?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Hi sagman.

I have a Bluestone HL and it is towards the dark side. It's not quite as dark as the brochure photos but is darker than the paint sample in the back of the brochure. If you'd like to see mine here's the site: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotahighlanderclub

Click on PHOTOS and you'll see two different Bluestones listed. Mine is "My GST Bluestone Ltd." OTOH, if you change to black, I wouldn't think you would have too much of a problem finding one. Until recently, Bluestone was in very short supply. In my area (South Texas), I've seen white most, then black.

Re: dark = less visible

I don't put much weight into that theory. My '97 Avalon was the gold color and I ran it with the lights on all the time because I didn't think I was seen very well. Our new HL has daytime running lights (optional on base model, standard on Limited package) and I can't tell any difference. Besides, if there was any truth to it, I'm sure the insurance companies would have some stats on it and color might make a difference in premiums. Just a thought.....

Happy HL'ing....

• Options
    mdelfinomdelfino Member Posts: 3
    Having trouble deciding whether to buy a used '99 RX300 or new '01 Toyota Highlander. Price is about the same ($31,150) but loaded options somewhat similiar, difference is HL has sunroof and Rx300 has none. What's your unbiased opinion?
  • Options
    bobincanadabobincanada Member Posts: 7
    The back country road that did me in is in Northern Ontario.
  • Options
    sagmansagman Member Posts: 11
    Appreciated your reply--it was helpful.
  • Options
    dniehusdniehus Member Posts: 83
    I also considered the HL vs. the RX300. Presumably this choice would be comparably equipped vehicles -- so we're talking the 4x4, V6 HL Limited with most options. In that case, price of the 1999 RX300 and a 2001 HL would be very similar. Be aware that although they are labelled 1999, RX300's went on sale in May 1998. So, most of the RX's now available are probably around 3 years old. Most of the certified preowned RX's in our area have 30-35,000 miles. Selling price, of course, would be adjusted according to higher/lower mileage as well as special options such as premium sound system (Naki).

Many things to consider. Both the RX300 and HL are outstanding vehicles. No doubt you are aware that they are build on the same assembly line in Japan (deemed by JD Powers as the best auto plant in the world) and share some components.

I like the styling of both; obviously a subjective issue. Reportedly the RX is due for a "refreshing" of its styling in the next year or so. Note that the HL is somewhat larger and (IMHO) has a more useable storage area.

Lexus has an outstanding resale value. HL is uproven, but likely will also be outstanding. Similarly, the RX rates much above average in crash results. The HL should also do well.

Maintenance costs -- if you go to the Lexus dealer for service you will be taken to the cleaners. Toyota service costs are much more reasonable.

Ultimately I decided on the HL because I didn't want to buy a 3-year vehicle, liked the bigger/more functional cargo area, and didn't want to be stiffed on service costs.
  • Options
    textex Member Posts: 6
    I bought the HL because of the side airbags and the Vehicle Skid control. I think these were added in 2001 on the Lexus.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I considered this same question. For 31k I can own a brand new HL instead of 2-3 yr old Lexus.

There is something comforting when you have a brand new car. No questions about the history of the car and your starting out with empty odometer.

It's your job to go out and break in that new puppy. In four years you can place a add in the paper for 20k and get it.

If every Lexus had a sister car made under the Toyota name plate I would buy the Toyota. The RX300 and the LX470 are the only two cars that Toyota can offer in the scaled down version.

One last reason for me, my father in-law can't complain that I would be foolish enough to waste money on a Lexus.

Little does he know. Buy the HL!
  • Options
    jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I own a black highlander. It is rather troublesome to keep clean. However, when its clean there is no color more beautiful. Looks outstanding with the gold package. Color made all the difference for me. When I first saw the highlander in gold, I didn't care for it. When I saw the black one I was sold (no offense gold HL owners). I also think the white, bluestone and indigo are nice colors. I wouldn't recommend the black if you live in the big city without a garage. Dings can be very ugly.

I also considered American SUVs vs. Highlander. As a former Chevy Blazer owner I prefer the more aggressive looks of the American SUVs(as well as foreign made truck based SUVs). However, the highlander makes you feel like you're in a luxury SUV. I don't miss the truck feel. I rented a 2002 Explorer on a recent business trip, what a joke. I've read all of the articles about how great the ride is; I was not impressed.

Since everybody else threw in thier one complaint I'll throw mine in. There is no way Toyota should be selling a $30,000 plus (msrp) vehicle like the highlander with NO FOG LIGHTS!
  • Options
    mdelfinomdelfino Member Posts: 3
    Any word on any aftermarket center console since the original accessory is only factory installed as I learned from the dealer? He said it is currently unavailable for our HI orders.(not sure for other states.) The current cupholders and lack of storage space is probably the only ugly flaw.

BTW - thanks for all your comments for HL vs RX300, for me all indicators point towards the HL.

Mark
  • Options
    abuyer1abuyer1 Member Posts: 31
    I went to a parts supply store that carries a large number of generic aftermarket center consoles. I tried each of the consoles. None fit in the Highlander. The generic consoles all seem to be about an inch or more too wide to fit the space in the Highlander, since the generics are designed to fit in the larger space in minivans. Perhaps eventually one of those companies will sell a center console that is specifically designed for the Highlander. At present I leave a flight bag in that space for storage, and move it back when I need access to the cup holders. I am tempted to have a friend in Tokyo get me one of the really nice consoles that Toyota supplies in Japan, but I don't know what would be involved in installing it. My dealer thinks it would not fit.
  • Options
    Hi abuyer1.

I happen to have a distributor installed (Gulf States Toyota) center console in our HL. Here's the link if you would like to look at it : http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotahighlanderclub

Select PHOTOS, then MY GST BLUESTONE LTD to see it.

I suspect this unit is also used in the Sienna as well but am not sure.

Maybe this will give you some ideas.
    BTW, I sure wish we could get the Japanese version......
  • Options
    kakatikakati Member Posts: 2
    I went to dealer today and test-drove both a 4runner and a V4 HL. The difference was very sharp. The 4runner felt "too-high" and ride was
    choppy even over small undulations on highway.
    The HL rode like the champ it is - loved the interior, looks, every damn thing about this baby!

My only concern was that when I took it upto
    around 75mph on highway the RPM was a steady
    3000 compared to around 2500 I see in cars. The
    salesman told me due to its different gearing,
    its RPM would be higher than cars and its was
    normal. is this kosher ?

since I dont have any heavy lugging planned, nor
    any towing, I am planning the 4wd V4 model if
    you folks have no objection to it :-) only thing
    I need to deal with is thick snow on highway
    sometimes..which the think the 4wd will manage.

thanks in advance for any insights...also how
    low are they willing to negotiate ? edmunds gives
    the TMV of a 4wd v4 HL as $1000 below the MSRP.
    is it difficult/impossible to obtain HLs without
    the gobs of expensive options they like to stick
    on..i.e. order from factory and sit for 2-3 months ?
  • Options
    sjzsjz Member Posts: 33
    If anyone is interested, I see that someone is selling a remote keyless entry for our car on eBay (Item #586516185) "Buy it Now" is $18.00. I bought one on Saturday from the same guy, haven't received it yet. The HL can handle up to 4 of them and can be programmed at home. I have no connection with this auction. This is FYI only.
    -Steve
  • Options
    ronfarronfar Member Posts: 11
    Question:
    I just visited a dealership in Washington State where the fleet manager mentioned that they get a lot of their HLs from Canada (since, he said, they aren't selling as well in Canada, the dealership has worked out a deal with the Canadian dealership to 'take them off their hands'. When I asked about converting from kilometers to miles and the such, he said it was all done by the dealership in Canada and their would be no problem in the US.....

Now, my question, will this cause resale problems? What about odometer issues? If it wasn't an issue, wouldn't it just be easier (well, maybe not easier, but definitely cheaper) for us to buy in Canada ourselves and have the odometer changed if the dealership there will do it?
    Thanks...we are about 45 days (waiting for our house refi to occur) from going after a HL since the Acura dealers are jerks around here ("only $2000 over MSRP..we are so nice") and the MDXs are hard to find.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I think chrome wheels would look sharp on the HL. I ordered the Limited and was wondering if I could have the aluminum wheels "Dipped".

I would not want to do this if I knew that there would be chipping or flaking after a few years.

I think buying new wheels would be a waste of money since the factory wheels are nice looking and a upgrade to begin with.

If anyone has ever done this in the past I would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks!
  • Options
    teeceebteeceeb Member Posts: 4
    Highlander V6 awd with 1500 miles, both front tire shows feathering on outer and inside thread, ie saw tooth from front to back , slight sign on passenger rear wheel also, about 500 mile is highway, 1000 mile city , 30 psi, tires are Bridgestone Dualer H/T 687. Dealer checked on alignment rack today and reported everything is to spec there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, might be the brand of tires. anyone else having tire problems?
  • Options
    andrec8513andrec8513 Member Posts: 16
    The 4 cylinder engine is NOT!!!! a V4. It is a inline 4 cylinder engine. Only a few v4's have ever been made, and I believe that NONE!!! are made at this time. (Maybe in Russia...who knows)Stop calling it a V4!!! It is getting tiresome to keep seeing the V4. Pop the hood and take a look for yourself...

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    I like the look of the HL and tested one this weekend. I have been considering some real SUV's as well. I was surprised at how much I felt like I was sitting in a minivan. With the flat foor and no center console, I realized that I wanted a true SUV. I guess if someone wants a minivan but dreads the styling, the HL would be a great choice since it looks more SUVish.
  • Options
    kakatikakati Member Posts: 2
    I admit I goofed up calling it a V4, the salesman
    did open the hood and show me the I4 (!)

But I gotta ask any I4 HL owners out there how
    the HL is able to tackle going up hills and the
    long shallow upgrades that are common on American
    interstate highways ?

is the high RPM normal , noise , wear-tear,
    etc etc ?

I am thinking I am perhaps on safer territory
    shelling out 1.5K more and going for a Unlimited
    V6.
    the 3K limited options package is daylight
    robbery...time they got off their haunches and
    started offering the skid control as a separate
    option.....2wd sales will pick up greatly.
  • Options
    skoulyskouly Member Posts: 7
    I have read generally good reviews about the 4 cyl HL regarding acceleration and power, but wanted to do my own test that I thought would cover most of my driving situations. I arranged a test drive without a sales rep in the HL and loaded my family (430 lbs-2 adults, 2 young children) and 10 cases of bottled water (400 lbs)in the cargo area. I figured this weight represented my family's growth (weight-wise) down the road with all of our camping/beach gear (about 225 lbs).

I drove the HL up a 6.5% grade for over 2.5 miles at 70 mph on cruise and over a 5% grade on a 4.5 stretch of highway at 80 mph. I was impressed! The speedo did not waiver 1 mph in either direction and the engine did not kick down once to maintain speed. Even more impressive was the fact that once I pressed down on the gas, I accelerated past other cars on the 6.5% grade up to about 82 mph! Sure, I had to take it to about 4300-4400 rpm, but that was it! I didn't have to go anywhere near redline. I looked up the figures for this sweet little engine and although hp is only 155 ponies, torque is 163 lb.ft @ 4000 rpm. If you need to pass at highway speeds, you press the gas down a little and you're in that engine's sweet spot. So maybe it's not great for 0-60 times, but it works well once you're rolling.

The handling changed very little with all that weight in back and braking was outstanding, even when I slammed the brakes and engaged the ABS (Yes, I scared the family, and No, I won't be buying THAT particular HL).

I have taken the 4 cyl HL on three separate test drives and each time I was impressed, but this last one blew me away (well, for a 4 cyl). If you want AWD and/or want to tow a trailer, this engine/drivetrain setup probably isn't for you, but if you want an alternative to the gas guzzling, boring minivans out there, this is it.

See if you can try this test out for yourselves. I'm sure you'll be impressed.

The only concern I still have before I buy one is; what is the mileage people out there are experiencing in the real world? I've read every post here and only about 3 or 4 people have posted. Anyone else?
  • Options
    smallzsmallz Member Posts: 24
    I've seen this one at least a couple of times. For the record, tires have tread. Thread is used to sew.
  • Options
    brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    I've had my HL (Silver V6) for about three weeks now, and its been nothing but fun. It handles DC's beltway as easily as it handles gravel mountain paths...and it looks great too.

However, the initial thrill has worn off and I find myself wishing for some accesories. Namely, fog lights, a stereo upgrade, and the elusive center console (where do the rest of you put your spare change?). A snowboard rack would be nice too, but that can wait.

Are these things that my dealer can provide? Or should I look elsewhere for cheaper prices? I haven't seen any of these items adevertised yet...the HL is too new, I guess.

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    pchiupchiu Member Posts: 72
    Does anyone has any concern about small objects get into the way of the brake pedal. For eg. the toys of your kids from the 2nd row seat or the purse from your wife next to the driver seat.
    Any reported accidents ?
  • Options
    ldorman7ldorman7 Member Posts: 4
    I opened up my v-6 Highlander yesterday and found out there is a governor that stops the speed at 110 MPH. The speedometer gets to 110 and drops back very fast. It was quite windy (20-30 knots) and I tried to cruise about 80-85 MPH. Each time a gust of wind hit my Highlander from the right side it felt like the frame was slipping from right to left and it gave out a shrill type whine. I have not had time to take the Highlander to my Sarasota dealer. Putting a governor on a car so that it cannot get into the top speed range is quite suspicious. I have owned Toyota's for thirty years and I am quite sure there must be a good explanation for this Highlander's quirky actions. I would appreciate any comments if you have experienced similar problems with your Highlander.

Larry Dorman
  • Options
    ehl3ehl3 Member Posts: 30
    We went and drove several SUVs last weekend as replacements for a 93 Merc Villager Minivan and narrowed it down to two.

Highlander gets nods for most attributes including ride, interior spaciousness, fuel mileage, residual value, insurance cost & handling and flatly, just make the moist sense... BUT, we tend to like the subjective qualities of the Pathfinder, plus the more powerful engine and slightly higher ride height. Build quality seems impeccable for both. Cost is about a toss-up in SoFL - Highlander V6 at SE Toyota invoice plus $1500-$2000, Pathfinder XE at a bit under invoice & 3.9%, e.g $26K for either excl without leather and other packs. Therein lies a bit of the rub -- all local Highlanders carry a bunch of unnecessary option incl the insulting $600 SE Toyota "Protection Plan" that one dealer admitted cost $75, but won't come off retail on. In general Toyota has been a real pain in the rear, has made it clear that they are not interested in trades and unwilling to bargain. Local dealer is an absolute nightmare. Special orders with no options = 4 months. Indigo color non-existant (but we have a ton of that hideous Bluestone color as well as center consoles with cheap fuzzy material on top...).

Probably would have bought the Highlander last weekend if Toyota just had one iota of customer service, but the vehicle is selling and they know it.

Somebody talk me out of (or into) the Pathfinder, please!
  • Options
    rfhourfhou Member Posts: 47
    On average, most SUV's are governed at 112 MPH. I think this is because of the high center of gravity (roll over danger/stability issues) as well as aerodynamics (or lack thereof). All in all, I think the HL is very stable for what it is. I think most SUV's and vans will be blown around a bit in high winds when driving over 75.

Many of us have the high pitch whine wind noise. I have the same symptoms, gust has to come from the right side. Noise always comes from the driver's side. My dealer knew what I was talking about and he described this entire scenario to me without me giving any details other than what sound it was making. I take my HL in tommorow to have it fixed. They will be replacing the windshield molding, part number 75531-48020. Once I have time to get on I-10 and test it out, I'll let everyone know how it works.
  • Options
    skyrebskyreb Member Posts: 129
    Idorman7 .... I cannot imagine driving 110 mph in 20-30 knot cross winds. Thank goodness Toyota has the sense to protect us from ourselves.

rfhou .... Please get back to us about the new molding. The "high pitched wind noise" is not too bothersome to me because I do not drive above 70 mph, but I have heard it. If a fix is available, I would like to have it. Looking at the windshield gasket along both sides, I was surprised at the deep recess/groove that runs up along the window. I would imagine that is the source of the noise.

Happy Motoring to all.
  • Options
    sjzsjz Member Posts: 33
    The "S" rated tires that come standard on the HL are rate at 112MPH, probably the reason for the gov. limit.
    For tire specs:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/speed.htm
    -Steve
  • Options
    sandmantechsandmantech Member Posts: 4
    Ehl3,

Hahaaaa, I was in the same situation as you last month (April). I was thinking to purchase either PF or HL.

For the price here in San Francisco Bay Area, I can pay about the same price to get PF SE or HL v6 4x4. But the PF will come with more options (Sun Roof, 6CD changer,...)

After I consider the purpose to buy my next vehicle, I finally bought a Highlander.

- Fuel Milage: I use the vehicle mainly for daily commute. That is, fuel milage is key for me. (Especailly, the price of the gasoline is going up.)

- Engine: I realized that the HL is using the same engine and transmission as the Lexus RX300. (We just purchase a ES300 last year and love the Lexus)

- Space: There are more space in the rear seat in HL than PF.

- 4x4: I may occasonally go up North to ski. HL 4WD is good enough for me. (PF 4x4 is a bit over-kill for me.)

- Color: I could not find the Bayshore Blue on PF SE around here. But I got the bluestone for my HL.

I would say both are nice suv and HL is a bit more practical for my life-style. Well, good luck to your decision.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    I see everyone's comments concerning RX300 vs HL and I agree that the HL seems to be a better deal when you consider the $3-5k difference. Money aside though do you think the HL has the same build quality as the Lexus? Would you really choose the HL over a new 2001 RX300 if you had the money to go either way? It seems that the bells and whistles are not available on the HL.

Trying to decide between HL, RX300, and a fading quickly 2002 Envoy