Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Buy out the lease -- does it make sense here?

technoraptor1technoraptor1 Member Posts: 6
edited August 2023 in Maserati
In 2019 I leased a Maserati, which it is now coming to an end.

2019 Maserati SQ4
MSRP $96,450
Gross capital $75,439

Original lease was 39 months, $975. $4k due at signing.
Total of payments $41,724

Residual $43,402
I was just quoted, with bumper to bumper 4 year total car mileage 90k, and tax fees
$53,250

72 month lease $958 at 8.5%
60 month $1115

Is this an OK deal? I am looking at it as this, the $41,724 put into it with the lease payments + $53,250 now = $94,974.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,295

In 2019 I leased a Maserati, which it is now coming to an end.

2019 Maserati SQ4
    MSRP $96,450
    Gross capital $75,439

Original lease was 39 months, $975. $4k due at signing.
    Total of payments $41,724

Residual $43,402
    I was just quoted, with bumper to bumper 4 year total car mileage 90k, and tax fees
    $53,250

72 month lease $958 at 8.5%
    60 month $1115

Is this an OK deal? I am looking at it as this, the $41,724 put into it with the lease payments + $53,250 now = $94,974.

Doesn’t matter what you’ve paid so far. Is the value of the car more than the residual? Do you want to own a 4 yr old Maserati?
    Also, those are new finance payments, not lease payments, right?

One warning: Warranties on used cars are never as comprehensive as the original new car warranty, no matter what the seller may tell you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    technoraptor1technoraptor1 Member Posts: 6
    kyfdx said:

Doesn’t matter what you’ve paid so far. Is the value of the car more than the residual? Do you want to own a 4 yr old Maserati?

One warning: Warranties on used cars are never as comprehensive as the original new car warranty, no matter what the seller may tell you.

Hey! KBB says trade in is $37k - $41.5k. Private party $42k-$48k.

The warranty offered was the same Maserati dealer I would be working with. They warned me that maintenance items, battery, etc were not covered.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,295

kyfdx said:

Hey! KBB says trade in is $37k - $41.5k. Private party $42k-$48k.

The warranty offered was the same Maserati dealer I would be working with. They warned me that maintenance items, battery, etc were not covered.
    My guarantee: That warranty from the Maserati dealer will not cover everything the original warranty did.

$9800 between your residual, and the total quoted price. I'd want that itemized, to see what you're paying for.

After 39 months, your car is worth about 45% of the original MSRP. I'd see what a new lease would cost, before agreeing to buy out this vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator