Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Yes, the LX450 came with a key fob for remote locking features. The buttons were not integrated into the key though, it had a key chain.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    Does anyone know if the Adaptive Cruise control will be available on th LX470 as it is on most of the lexus line? If not, can it be installed after market?
    Thanks
  • cwilbscwilbs Member Posts: 14
    What exactly is that?
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    AFAIK, the LX does NOT have the adaptive cruise control, and I think that it would be cost-prohibitive to add one, especially if using OEM parts jury rigged together to work. The laser or radar emitter/detector unit alone is about 1700 to 2000 dollars, plus any other parts thatwould be required.
    The Adaptive Cruise control reads the distance from you to the vehicle ahead and maintains a constant distance as the car speeds up or slows down. It will also brake and decelerate if another car or object suddenly appears in your lane. I had it on my briefly owned 2005 Sienna - it's a great system! Other Toyota lines also have it.

Phil
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    The lexus LX makes me scratch my head at times.

This SUV "should" have EVERY single option known to man.

It "should" have keyless entry, adaptive cruise, HID headlights, parktronic, rear camera, FOLD FLAT third row, etc. etc. etc.

Instead some of these features are not available. WHY?

It does have an expensive "nightvision" option that to me doesn't seem like a very useful item to most drivers. Again, WHY???

From all accounts this is one of the best built automobiles EVER made. I've driven it a few times and it is buttery smooth and OOZES quality.

Yet looking at it during the car show the other day it just seemed outdated and "forgotten" by Toyota.

Why?????

Toyota, make it an 80K suv if you have to but THROW EVERYTHING into it!!!!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Because the replacement is around the corner.

And it can't have a fold-flat third row because of the solid rear axle -- no room for it.
    Does anyone have reliable info on the replacement LX 470? Due date -still built in Japan - equipment - anything?
    Thanks
    You bring up a great point.

I would think if you could fit a fold flat third row in smaller suv's (like an MDX for instance), why can't Toyota figure out how to do it on the LX/Landcruiser?

I'm thinking it has to do with the landcruiser's main design purpose (rough, go anywhere suv). Does that make a solid rear axle a "must have"? Still, I've gotta believe it can be done.

Also, the LX redesign is way overdue. I guess it goes to say how well built this suv is that even though it is outdated and priced at a premium it is still considered one of the best.

I'm a fan of the truck, too... but it really needs an upgrade -- pronto!

So far all we have is speculation -- I can't wait for some definitive news of an upgrade!!!
  • riffmeisterriffmeister Member Posts: 6
    Last week my Lexus dealer showed me an information brief indicating the replacement for the LX470 will be called the LX570 and is due out in Dec. 2007. Other posts have speculated whether the JX vehicle will be out mid-2007...does not look like that is going to happen next year but you never know.

The LX570 will be larger with a new 5.7L V8, 8000 lbs. towing capability and vehicle height can be raised/lowered by a total of 5.5 inches. Some of the new interior features of the LS460 will be available for the LX570 such as the 8GB hard drive for music and hard drive based navigation system. The LX570 will also have power folding 3rd row seats. I did not hear if this is a unibody style vehicle or not. The repeated theme is that this is going to be a very fast SUV.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Hooray!!!

December 07 seems like a strange time to release a new car, no?
  • riffmeisterriffmeister Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone has any further details on the upcoming LX570?

I have heard it will be bigger than the 470 and assume that it will be somewhere between its current length of 192.5" and 200" so that it can fit the power folding 3rd row seats. The MB GL450 is a hair over 200" and I would expect Lexus to come close to matching MB in size and power - particularly with MB rumored to offer a GL550 next year.

Anyone heard if Lexus is creating a unibody version of the LX or will the 570 be the same body-on-frame as the 470?
    I think we're all waiting for some definitive news on the new LX. Rumors range from "the LX will die" to "a new and improved version with ALL the bells and whistles" is coming out next year.

The Autospies pics created a stir as did the new landcruiser pics... but so far I've yet to see a single definitive news item on the LX.

I guess we just have to keep waiting.....
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Lexus LX 470/GX 470
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Glad to have this back--Now does anyone have any new info as to when we will get a new LX and what it will be like????
    I was at the top of my dealership's list to get an 07 LS460, but turned it down because I like my LX470 much better than my previous LS430's. But I would like a new vehicle--don't need one (my LX is an 06) just want one!
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I hope lexus would *leak* some news about the LX replacement. I am leaning towards a GL320 CDI, but would like to see the next LX before I decide.
    Thanks sid. Lots of useful info there. A chap called jjbodean had posted some good info based on a Lexus production meeting he attended. His exterior descrition seems to match the spy pics floating around. However, I don't think it is an all new platform. It is a significant remodel of the current platform. Looks like I will wait out most of 2007 with my 2002 Landcruiser until the new lx/tlc is released.
  • jaxstevejaxsteve Member Posts: 1
    We own a 1999 LX 470. We experienced a "low, grinding" sound that occured only upon starting to move forward. The dealer at first couldn't replicate the sound. Over time, it got worse. Finally,the dealer replaced our entire transmission.....but the noise persisted!!It turns out that we once had our car serviced at a Toyota dealer because we were out of town, and there wasn't a Lexus dealer within a couple hundred miles. The Toyota dealer used the wrong fluid in the differential, and that was the source of the noise. When Lexus changed to the correct fluid, the noise disappeared. That was 50,000 miles ago, and we haven't experienced any problems since.
  • lisao1lisao1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 LX 470 and have had numerous problems with it. It has had the transmission replaced, the height sensors replaced twice, brake issues...the list goes on and on. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?? I was told to call the 1800-25-lexus number but they basically told me 'tough luck!'.
    Sorry to hear that. Was it purchased new? What is/was the mileage when the problems showed up? What region do you live in please? I am considering a used 2004 LX470 and would appreciate your further comments.

Phil
    lisao1.

this is really surprising. I have been monitoring the LX/Land Cruiser boards for a long time. I own a 2002 Landcruiser. I haven't met or heard from anyone else with these kinds of problems. I guess you really got unlucky. Did you buy new or used?
    I purchased the car new in Pittsburgh, PA. The problems started almost immediately - I think the height sensors went before I had 2000 miles on the car. I think 'unlucky' is the key word. Despite the multitude of problems I have had, I love the vehicle. The truck looks great and the ride is very smooth.
    Glad you still like it. I will be looking for a 2004 in my area soon. What year is yours and how many miles? Did you have to pay for any of the major repairs? Is it working all right now?
    Here's a link to more pics of the new land cruiser. I'm thinking the new LX will have a very similar appearance. Lots of camouflage but you get a good idea of the dimensions and overall shape. These are the newest pics I could find... anybody have anything fresher?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/jcf/spyphotoID/6070213.003/toy- ota/spy-photos-more-new-toyota-landcruiser

Some folks on other boards are claiming that Lexus may give a sneak peak of the new LX at the New York auto show.

Couldn't come soon enough.....
    From looking at the spy pics of the 2008 Land Cruiser and 2008 LX, it seems that the basic platform is still shared, but the LX has taken the Lexus corporate look like it's smaller sibling the GX.

Frankly I was disappointed by the bulbous and rounded look of the new Land cruiser. I have plenty of minivans to choose from . No need to plonk down 60K to get a minivan. Looks like they were still competing with the previous generation Tahoe/Yukon when they designed the Landcruiser replacement. The landscape has changed since then.

I have no doubt it will be a fine truck if you can get past the looks only a mother can love. But it is important to me.
    Mine is a 2004 with 41,000 miles. I did not have to pay for any of the repairs, in fact, my dealer is extremely accommodating. He has not seen an LX with so many problems (so he says anyway). It is working great - for the moment...
  • hottoyofanhottoyofan Member Posts: 9
    There is NO more LX..... There is NO more Land Cruiser..... Toyota and Lexus are getting rid of the two and making the JX. Why don't people get it???? My Lexus dealer says we'll probably see it Jan-Mar 08 shortly after the new Sequoia.
    Do you have a source to corroborate this information please?

Thank you
    Thanks

The Consomer Reports annual Car Issue just hit mail boxes yesterday. It shows the 2003, 2004, and 2005 LX with worse, to far worse than average suspension problems. Most everything else gets very high ratings with an overal "better than average" rating.
    Guess you haven't seen the spy pic floating around of the New Lexus (whatever you want to call it JX or LX) and the new Land cruiser. Land cruiser sells over 250K units globally and they will not kill the premier SUV in the Toyota line up. Sequoia is a US only model based on the Tundra which is also sold only in the US market.

The question is not if there will be a new Landcruiser, the question is whether they volumes sold in the US will justify the launch in North America. I also strongly believe that Lexus will always offer a full-size SUV. It maybe based on the new Landcruiser or based on the new Sequoia.
    Article at AutoWeek.com says HPX concept (JX) could debut in spring of 2008--nothing definite yet
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    On a recent trip South on I-95 and cruising at a steady pace of 70 miles per hour, using the speed control as much as I could , traffic is pretty heavy most of the time plus now we can add the influx of Bike Week.
    My MPG was slightly over 20 miles , exactly 20.2 mpg with premium gas.
    I would love to see Lexus use the new Tundra engine the 5.7L on the LX , I would be in line to purchase one.
    Perhaps Lexus could add a couple of vibrant exterior and interior colors to their dull line-up .
    Lou
    I also have a 2006 LX470 and my best MPG has not exceeded 16.
    And that was with premium gas, the A/C off and a strong tail wind. I also have a K&N air filter--How do you get 20mpg?
    Hi sidgriggs
    I don't have an answer .
    I drive conservative some times and aggressive other times.
    The last 8 or 10 tanks of gas had very good mpg.
    This last round trip ( last tank ) mileage was 406 miles , I filled the tank with a little over 20 gallons. Stop filling till the second click.
    The tires pressure are closed to 40psi , also I used Castor synthetic motor oil , the odometer reads 11,700 miles, I get oil and filter changed around 3500 miles.
    The lowest mpg around the city is either 16 or 17 or 18 .
    I have made no changes to the LX.
    Out of the ordinary one time accidentally I filled the tank with regular gas.
    The air tire sensor came up , because the spare tire had low air pressure.
    Lou
    luckylou,

I have gotten over 18 MPG in my 2002 Land Crusier at about 65 to 70 miles an hour on highway with moderate load. My 2002 Landcruiser has a four speed automatic. Since your vehicle has the VVTI engine and 5 speed auto, I am sure this is possible as the engine will be running at a lower rpm than mine at 70 miles an hour.
    Hi mercara

I don't understand it , I am not an auto mechanic I am just a regular block.
    I don't use Citgo gas . Normally Sunoco or Shell premium gas.
    While I am using the speed control and if I need to press the brake pedal, I quickly disengage it , otherwise the LX will quickly accelerate burning gas faster to go back to the previous speed instead I use my foot to slowly bring it up to speed.
    I owned a 2003 Land Cruiser for three years till I bought the 2006 LX470 . The LC never gave me 20 mpg, normally 18 or 17 with regular gas.
    The last few months I have been waiting for the Tundra to arrive I test drove a DC , 4X4 , with the 5.7 L engine , WOW WOW awesome vehicle . But while reading several forums including Edmunds I found out that a new LX is coming out either for 2008 or 2009 with the 5.7 L engine.
    I might indulge myself again and wait for the new LX.
    Lou
  • pattid1pattid1 Member Posts: 2
    Since October my 2006 GX has had the brakes go out on three different times. First was after a service and service department said must have been an air bubble so they bled them,told me that took care of the problem. A month later ,again in a emergency situation, they failed again almost causing a second collision.This time it was suppose to be the master and slave cylinders which they replace and assured me it was fixed.Two and half weeks ago it happened again,no brakes, and this time they said it was the shims and replaced them.Now I refuse to drive it and the dealership and Lexus refuse to do anything.Now I have a 60,000.00 vehicle that I cant drive.Has anyone else had this problem? I will never buy another Lexus.
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    hello every1, lx 570 is to make a public appearance live in ny auto show on april the 4. its confirm news from lexus ...i can't wait to see how it will be.
    Sweeeet !!

Have been waiting for 2 years now !!

Guess it will be out later this year then. :)
  • goodcardrivergoodcardriver Member Posts: 6
    Is this an all-new vehicle or just an upgraded rebadged Sequoia? I'm not too thrilled with the Sequoias.
    From looking at the spy pics floating around. It's smaller than the Sequoia. I doubt it is based on the Sequoia as Sequoia is a US only model manufactured in North Amercia. The cruiser/LX is a global model made mostly in Japan.

However, it doesn't seem to be an all-new-vehicle. It seems to be a major refreshening of the current 100 series. I am only guessing based on the pictures that I have seen so far. The profile is very similar to the current 100 series.
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    Can you direct us to some of those photos?
  • karldkarld Member Posts: 5
    I was just offered a 2005 lexus lx 470 maxed out with every option (not sure about night hawk) for 46200 at a lincoln dealership. It has 16000 miles on it. Do you think this is a good deal? 1 owner. I am concerned about buying from a ford dealer.
    The factory warranty has you covered for two more years/32K Miles so you are covered if the truck has any major defects you can't uncover during a thorough test drive.

Here's a link to certified pre-owned LX's from autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?model=LX470&num_records=25&make2- - =&start_year=2005&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=y&body_code=0&fuel- - =&search_type=certified&distance=0&make=LEXUS&keywords_display=&color=&min_price- - =&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&address=33027&advanced- - =&end_year=2005&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&sort_type=priceASC

Sorry it's so long but that how the link came out.

It seems 2005 CPO LX's range from low 40's to high 50's. What makes your LX candidate stand out is its low mileage. LX's come with MOST of the fancy gadgets standard except nightview (not a really useful feature anyways) and an entertainment system. Other than those options all LX's come fully loaded.

It would be nice to have the reassurance of getting a CPO LX from a Lexus dealer but these trucks are so well built you are probably safe.

Let us know what you decide to do... good luck!!!