Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    jimbob17jimbob17 Member Posts: 77
    Well it was a sunny day in the 60s in NE Pa. so I went to the car wash and then said what the hey and waxed the 03 Forester X. It is sure nice not to have to worry about waxing the cladding on the lower 25% of the car especially when you are over 6'3".
    I found out why y'all advocate the splash guards. There were a lot of "tar" (or whatever they use now) spots around the wheel wells. I guess one of the benefits of waxing is you see the imperfections that have to be touched up.
    Anyone know why the SUBARU lettering on the rear hatch would be pitted after less than a year?
  • Options
    deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    Ken,
    Thanks for the info. Maybe there's even a little wiggle room for the dealer to go lower than invoice.

Tidester, thanks for the congrats. We've already checked out the car seat and it's OK. We need to strap it in and see how croweded it gets in there.

Dan
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    ...base MSRP of the automatic, premium Forester 2.5XT?

http://www.media.subaru.com/ lists that as the upper Forester range, and we all know with upgrades, you can go well above $32,000, while the base XS premium is $24,095.

Just a thought...

- D.
  • Options
    dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    It looks to me like $25,445 is the base price of the 5-speed XT. A "Premium Package" is available which includes automatic, moonroof and leather. That probably adds another $2,500 or so.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Oh, I did overlook that the automatic is another $800.00 on the XS premium. Not sure that the numbers make any sense to me, any longer. $28,000 is too much, the premium package and auto combined is just $1,800 for current models. $2,350 (difference between the non-premium XS manual and $25,445) for the turbo and a few other upgrades sounds a bit steep to me as well, but it is certainly possible.

Oh well,

- D.
  • Options
    kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    Hi all,

For those of you who remember my post a couple of weeks ago, SUCCESS! I reset the ECU after filling up the tank with the unoxygented fuel, the mileage is back to normal: 26.7mpg out of which nearly half was city driving. previously, it dropped to ~20mpg and i was suspecting that it was the normal fuel conflicting with the ECU that "learned" with the oxygenated variety (winter).
    it worked! car runs great as ever.

cheers.
  • Options
    Here's my guess: $25,445 base price. $800 automatic. $1700 moonroof and leather. $545 destination. That would make the sticker price for a fully-loaded model $28,490, plus other common options like splash guards, armrest extension, etc.
  • Options
    damax07damax07 Member Posts: 32
    Can someone tell me if the extra power is worth while? Or perhaps is the current horsepower on the existing Forester decent for every day driving? I told my wife we should wait for the XT, but starting to wonder if it is worth it?

Damax07
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think the 2003s are at such low prices, this is about as good a deal as you'll get. If you are shopping for value, go for it now.

Let's face it, noone "needs" more than 165hp on a vehicle that barely weighs 3000 lbs and isn't gonna be towing huge loads. Remember when the upgrade V6 engine for the 4Runner had 150hp? That to haul twice the weight.

So no, you do not need more power, but that doesn't mean I don't want more power! :-)

If it's the difference between a happy ownership and a merely adequate one, then there you go, it's justified. But I don't think you can justify it on practical terms.

Jim: my lettering is sort of fading, too. Mine's a '98 though. I think it's just that the rear accumulates lots of dirt and grime, including the washer fluid when you use it.

Good to hear, kajko. Hey, did you ever get new springs from iSR?

-juice
  • Options
    damax07damax07 Member Posts: 32
    juice,
    I think I am just trying to justify the need for extra power. We are driving a 1999 Protegé LX, when I analyze it, it will be more power than what we are driving now.
    Damax07
  • Options
    Torque = Safety!

That's right, you either merge quickly or you don't, and if there is a Semi tailgating you it could be a matter of life and death! ;-)

Or what if you're returning that movie rental to Blockbuster, and it's 11:59. Past noon you pay a late fee. You NEED the turbo!

Groceries do spoil, you know. I bet the milk goes rancid unless you spool her up and get home ASAP! I mean, c'mon, the milk is for the baby! It's gotta stay cold!

Your old high school rival is next to you in a competing vehicle, and revs his engine. Your very manhood is at stake!

:-)

-juice
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    I was washing, waxing and detailing my car this weekend and after reluctantly applying Armor All
    I remembered someone on this board mentioned a product like Armorall but without the blinding shine and the inherent attractivness for dust, can anyone tell me the name of the product and where I can get some? Does it leave a greasy, filmy feeling on your hands like armor all does?

Also anyone have suggestion on how to get windshield washer fluid residue off of the rear gate??

Thanks
    Mike
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I don't think it's normal for the rear hatch lettering to be pitted this soon. Whether or not Subaru agrees and would give you a new emblem is the next question. Wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer.

I had a Honda Prelude that developed some corrosion on the door trim within the first year. Took it to the dealer and was expecting a runaround, but the service manager took one look at it and agreed it was not right. They ordered and installed new pieces at no cost.

Craig
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I think you're referring to Vinylex, made by the makers of Lexol. It does fit the description. I've used it but once as I don't like any sort of shine on my dash - any attractiveness is offset by the harm to visibility.

Ed
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    That is exactly what I am looking for!

Mike
  • Options
    speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    Recently I took our Forester in to Parkway Subaru (Peoria, IL) for its 30,000 mile checkup (the day before I got rear-ended, how's that for bad luck?!). I was prepared to fork over some dough, as the 30,000 mile checkup is pretty substantial. However, when I picked up my car and was handed the bill of $458 I was rather unpleasantly surprised. Broken down further, I paid $361 in labor, $129 in parts, $18 in taxes/fees, and used the $50 off coupon from SOA I got in the mail. Seemed pretty steep to me!

When I had dropped the car off in the morning I confirmed with the service rep that I talked to that they only did the same things as recommended by SOA (pulled the list from the mysubaru.com website). The guy double-checked with his list and said yep, that was the same list they used. I left my work number so that they could notify me if any problems came up that would require extra work and got a lift to the office. Never heard anything from Parkway Subaru all day, so I called them about 90 minutes before I was supposed to pick it up. They told me everything was fine and the mechanics were just finishing it up. Picked up the car and the bill, didn't argue anything there since they were busy and I couldn't decipher many of the codes & comments on my invoice, but I looked at it in more detail the following morning. I was concerned about the following things: 1) along with the charge for new spark plugs (which was on the SOA list and fine with me) was an hour and a half of labor for an engine tune up, and 2) according to the invoice it took an hour of labor to flush the brake fluid.

I wrote Parkway a polite letter voicing these concerns and a couple other minor ones. Their service manager gave me a call a few days later and said that a tune up was typical Subaru procedure with new plugs, the brake fluid did indeed take an hour to flush, and that they hadn't done anything wrong but I was always welcome to call and follow up with their service.

What have you others paid for your 30,000 mile checkup? Is a tune up a good idea when you change plugs, even if the engine's been running fine with good gas mileage? Is it fair for Parkway to charge an hour of labor to drain & replace the brake fluid? Forgive me if it seems I'm whining, I just don't have much experience in repair matters and I hate the feeling that I'm being taken advantage of, if that's what's happening. Besides Parkway the nearest Subaru service would be about 45 miles away, and I've heard not-so-great things about that location when it comes to service. If this is typical for a 30,000 mile checkup let me know and I'll grin & bear it. :)

Thanks & sorry for the long post,
    Steve
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what we think you should have paid.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Anyone have any info. on colors for the XT, and interior trim? I should think pricing will be out, pretty soon. The XT is shaping up to be my next purchase. I was amazed at the room in the driver's seat, and ease of entry to the Forester. Turbo charging will solve my power loss issues, at altitude - now if SoA would only offer Sport Shift!!

Cheers
    Pat
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    1hr to flush the fluid is about right. You do have to go to all 4 brakes and suck-out all the fluid, if there is ABS there is an additional procedure for sucking out the ABS pump to do a full flush.

As for a tuneup with plugs, that is how it should be done. I'd need more detail as to what they considered a "tune-up".

-mike
  • Options
    speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    Steve - thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of the Edmunds Maintenance Guide, and it's quite an impressive resource!

Paisan - thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.
  • Options
    forestergumpforestergump Member Posts: 119
    I seem to recall my Forester's 30K checkup was comparable in terms of scope and cost.
    -Bob
  • Options
    forestergumpforestergump Member Posts: 119
    Pat:

I believe the XT's interior is supposed to be a combo of gray and black. At the Chicago auto show, they had two models, one with a black exterior and one with silver (my favorite!). One rep at my local dealer thought that the XT's will be offered in the same exterior monochromatic colors as the XS.
    -Bob
  • Options
    30k in DC is pricey, too, closer to $600. Ouch. Prices vary a lot by region. I do it myself, anyway.

Don't worry, the dealer did a few items that were not required but they recommend, no biggie. Next time tell them you specifically want *only* what SoA required, and ask for a price up-front.

They have to bleed brake fluid from 4 calipers, and it's a 2 man job, one to press the pedal. Price sounds fair to me.

-juice
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Anyone have the info on how to get the Forester service manuals? I've heard they come in a multi-volume set and that we don't have to buy them all. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    -Larry
  • Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Steve,

I paid $354.00 for my 30k service ($216 in labor, $115 in parts, the rest is disposal fees and taxes).

Michael
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Dealerships use power bleeders, makes the service a one man operation.
  • Options
    OK, I guess I'm thinking of what it would be like for me to do it, then! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I paid $170 about 3 years ago. Had them do only what was in book. Their labor rate is 25% higher now.

Edmunds Maintenance Guide has a lot of information. But I could not find the timing belt replacement. According to Subaru, for my '98 (California Spec even though I am in New York) it is at 105k. I do not see it in the Edmunds recommendations either at 105 or 90. I see "Drive belt" at 105 for 23.90 and about $15 in labor. But the timing belt is much more expensive and requires much more labor.
  • Options
    ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    Timing Belt shows up at 105K. $140 for parts, $250 for labor. That's for a 2001 in California, I'm assuming yours would be a little more expensive for labor because you have DOHC.
  • Options
    If the timing belt is still missing (or listed at the wrong interval) when you recheck, please submit a Feedback Form. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    I drove a neighbor's vehicle (not Subaru) today..the check engine light was on...He wasn't sure how the thing works...Must one bring his car to the dealer to get it turned off..or disconnect the battery..
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    I recently was a passenger in new Taurus and a Caddy CTS. It seemed like the raked-back front windshields were nearly on parallel planes with that of the roofs. Most uncomfortable.
    I couldn't wait to get back into my Forester's green house - an aerodynamic handicap, but, oh, the headroom and view.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Well, it looks as if our '98 Forester is leaving our stable this week. The wife has fallen in love with the Honda Pilot and we put a deposit on one that is coming this week.

I gotta say, I have mixed feelings about it going. I will definitely miss the great handling and brakes, but I won't miss the oil leaks, hesitating from stoplights, uncomfortable interior, and poor passing power. And, even with 93K miles, I'm a bit shocked at its trade-in value. Oh well, on to bigger things. Kinda wish I could afford to keep it around for spirited winter driving, but it was just not meant to be.

I'll be back in the Subaru fold when I can afford an STi or B4.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    subasuba Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    Anyone know how long under normal use a remote's battery should last?

I have a '01 forester and I have to be sure that my thumb hits that button squarely.
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    It depends. If the CEL came on because the gas cap wasn't tightened (3 clicks is the rule of thumb), then most cars will reset the CEL by themselves. It may take two or three tanks for this to happen.

You can also go by many auto parts stores these days and they'll pull the code for you for free. After they get the code, their gizmo should turn the light back off. I guess the light will come back on if the code indicates something really is wrong, like a bad oxygen sensor or something.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Remote batteries can last 1 year, 3 years, or ??? depends on usage and the environment. The battery is easy enough to replace though.

You could try opening up the fob and cleaning the contacts on the circuit board with a pencil eraser or something similar. It could have some substance on the connection points that's not giving a good contact when you press the button.

-Brian
  • Options
    retiredguy: if it's under warranty, let the dealer look at it, because the CEL might reveal a symptom of a bigger problem.

'K Rob, but come back once and a while to say hi. I test drove a Pilot and it's nice inside, but doesn't satisfy my "fun to drive" needs enough, IMO. But they are a good value, and resale should be excellent. Congrats.

One thing, though - you got a first year Forester, and now a first year Pilot. Good luck! :-)

My '98 Forester came with 2 remotes. One battery died after 2-3 years, but the 2nd still works fine, 5 years later.

-juice
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for the information on the CEL...One of my concerns is other than the big 3, all other car dealers are in San Antonio..a 120 to 130 mile round trip..Unscheduled trips just to have a light turned off would be a pain.. None of the big three's offerings other than maybe the Ford Focus is on my list..The Forester is my number one choice at this time..Steve's comment on parts stores would save a trip..if nothing serious is wrong...Thank you..
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Autozone and, I believe now NAPA, can read the information on your CEL from the ECU and tell you why it is lighting up. Give them a call.

Greg
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me of first year issues. ;)
    I will definitely be looking into an extended warranty on this one, though.

I'm really not thrilled by the Pilot myself, but its for my wife, so whatever makes her happy. Anyway, I've got my 2 cars if I want fun. She wanted to be able to cart 7 people so.....

p.s. I can't figure out exactly why, but the trailblazer actually excited me a bit more than the Pilot. I think it may have been mostly due to the selectable 4wd/awd/rwd system. I'm just a sucker for gadgets. The Pilot does seem far superior in most ways, though. I just wish Sub had come out with a 7 seater by now.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    There is only "auto" 4wd which basically will bang in the 4wd unit at a 50/50 torque split when it detects wheels spinning (not just slipping) in the rear. Not to mention 100s and 100s of problems with the TB/Envoys from design flaws to quality control.

-mike
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Just make sure she understands what a complete pain it is to get to those way-back seats. It's not like a minivan. Even in a minivan, it is a bit of a twist, but in a Pilot... ugh.

On the other hand, we rarely use the back seats in out Toyota Sienna. Except carting friend's kids home to hang out with our kids for the afternoon...
  • Options
    entropy5527entropy5527 Member Posts: 24
    Juice: You can bleed your brakes alone. I picked up an enema bucket from a local health store and filled it with clean fresh brake fluid, cut the rubber tubing, connected it over the bleed valve, and hung it from the upper suspension components. When you bleed the brakes, the fluid in the bucket ensures that when you remove your foot from the pedal that fluid enters the brake lines instead of air. Note that you need to bleed them slowly to let the air move up the tube a ways so it does not just reenter the line.
  • Options
    You guys suck fluid up when you bleed them?

I always drain the resivoir with a turkey baster, then fill it with clean fluid and either pump out the bleeder lines til the clean fluid comes out or use a power bleeder that sucks the dirty fluid through the lines til clean comes out.

-mike
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    For those with the cabin air filter installed, I recommend paying attention to the 7500 mile recommended change interval. I replaced mine last night @7800 miles in my 03 Forester. It was totally black and filled with gunk. Very surprised as on my other cars it was an annual event before they looked that bad. Don't know if its because they were mounted vertically and the Forester's is horizontal. Wouldn't have thought it made that much difference. The Forester's is mounted a lot closer to the blower motor, however so maybe that's the connection?

In any event, 7500 miles or so definitely seems to be the right number for this filter. For the do it yourselfer's - remember to pull the glove compartment straight back after you take out the nine screws. It does not drop down. If you pull it down you'll wreck a couple of plastic pins that slide in on the right side. Also, when retightening the screws, go slowly and hand torque them for the last couple of turns. Be a real pain if one of the mounting holes got stripped.

Also had to add brake fluid. It was still above the Min Line, but far enough below the Max Line to need attention. Decided to try the Castrol with the higher boiling point. The label says its totally compatible with all DOT3 and DOT4 fluids.

I checked for leaks/seepage at 7460 miles when I rotated the tires and checked the pads, boots, etc. Their wasn't any. The usage kind of jives with the amount of wear I saw on the front pads. First time I've ever needed brake fluid this early.

I've been really windy the last couple of days on the board, I promise to quiet down for a while.

-Larry
  • Options
    rjweissrjweiss Member Posts: 20
    I have a 98 Subaru Forester S, 75K with 5 speed. I am curious what a new 2003 XS auto might run me with trade in of my 98?

How would the perforamnce compare between the two? the 5 speed is pretty quick but will the added horsepower of the 2003 make it be equal?

thanks in advance

Ron
  • Options
    03xngreen03xngreen Member Posts: 36
    Turkey basters and enema buckets...
    So do you guys wear a chef's hat or a lab coat when you work on your cars?
  • Options
    Go to "Real World Trade-In Values" in the "Smart Shopper" thread and request a trade-in valuation of your 98 Forester from Terry. He's a car dealer who's very helpful in valuing trades for people.

You ought to be able to get an 03 XS at invoice or less with 04's only a few months away.

I think that you'll find your 5-speed a bit quicker than an 03 automatic. We have a 97 Outback 5-speed and an 03 Forester XS automatic, and that's my perception at least. Not that I'd describe the XS as slow.
  • Options
    I didn't find the Pilot too terrible as far as 3rd-row access. I didn't actually dare go back there, though, cause I would never fit. My wife did, though. The Pilot is also much easier than the TB. The TB actually requires a 2-step process: flip the seat back down flat, then raise up the whole seat. The Pilot is just one movement similar to that in a coupe.

Hey, believe me, I'd love to see something like the TB benefit from a Subaru AWD system. Or, better yet, take the standard TB platform (not the EXT), throw in a TT-H6 and subie AWD, 3 rows of seats, and we're good to go with the subie 7-seater!

• Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I, too support a bigger Subaru.

But I cringe at the thought that it might be built on one of the most problem-plagued, overhyped GM platforms of all time.

Let Subaru be Subaru!
This discussion has been closed.