Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Thanks for the link to
    http://subaru.com/contact/contact/middle.jsp ,
    Tom. I think the "Suggestions for Subaru" board works on a longer time scale, and I agree with you it is not too late to make recommendations with regard to the availability of leather and moonroof with the manual, or interior colors, etc. I hope lots of people will give it a shot.

- D.
  • Options
    williadaywilliaday Member Posts: 10
    Hi--

Thanks mtngal and juice :) I've narrowed my choice down to the Santa Fe and Forester (The Highlander will be too expensive). I really like the styling of the Santa Fe but the Forester seems to have more power. I'm going check out fitzmall.com and see if I can rent these from Enterprise or somewhere.

Thanks again,
    williaday
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Jeff: neither of the XTs at the show even had a turbo boost guage. I'm not sure if they were just missing, because at least one car is a test mule (the 5 speed).

I think the two-tone gray/black looks nice, though, especially in person.

Ken: the suspension looked stock. I think the rear sway is 16 or 18mm, i.e. same as stock. Ride height seemed the same, I dunno. I think they only had 2 Foresters on the show stand, both turbos! So we could not compare side-by-side.

HOLY COW Larry! Man, that is filthy! Mine looked nothing at all like that after a year of use. I'd better check it again, I have asthma, and so does my 8 month old. :-(

Good luck shopping, williday. Let us know what you end up with, either way?

-juice
  • Options
    rjweissrjweiss Member Posts: 20
    It looks like I'll be trading in my 98 Forester S for either a 2003 XS Auto or a 2004 XS Auto (Turbo, if it's under $26,000, I can dream..)

I was curious about the new auto I have heard about. Is it going to be that much better then the 2003 transmission?

If it's going to be much better I would wait for the 2004's.

Thanks

Ron
  • Options
    Well, it's still a 4 speed unit, and no manual controls still. So no, I would say the tranny alone is not worth waiting for.

2003 prices are very, very competitive right now, so if you get the 2.5l engine I'd start shopping. But one magazine had the turbo starting at $25k, so even the auto could squeeze in at under $26k.

-juice
  • Options
    rjweissrjweiss Member Posts: 20
    Juice,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought I heard that the auto would be of a new design for the 04's ?

What do you mean "no manual controls"? You can't select and hold a particular drive ratio in the present autos?

Ron
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Ron,

The XT auto will be a newly redesigned transmission, but there are not too many details on how new.

What juice was trying to say was that the XT auto won't have a "tiptronic" interface that lets the driver up/down shift at a flick of a wrist. It will have the usual D-3-2-L selectors, however.

Ken
  • Options
    They called it "Direct Control", which is probably a marketing term for re-programmed shift mapping on the old tranny with the gated shifter.

It's not a Sportshift with tap up/down gear shifts.

-juice
  • Options
    rlastarrlastar Member Posts: 10
    I want this car. However, I am always concerned with wind noise after driving it for 5-10,000 miles.

What has been your experiences with wind noise coming from the moonroof?

Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    The moonroof on our 03 XS seals very well and is very quiet. No wind noise to speak of from the moonroof.

We do detect wind noise from the driver's side mirror or window seal, not sure which. One of these days, I plan to investigate this in more detail. Mirror noise seems to be a typical thing on Outbacks and Foresters, or almost any other SUV/wagon type of vehicle.

Craig
  • Options
    Thanks Rick.
    How many miles are on yours?
  • Options
    Craig,

The wind noise is probably from around the window seal. The gasket that attaches to the side mirror creates a very small deformation in the window seal that lets in a miniscule amount of air.

BTW, is the tweeter for the 2003s located right by the side mirror?

Ken
  • Options
    jaegermissjaegermiss Member Posts: 6
    I had a problem even without the moonroof. My dealer suggested moving the front crossbar a bit, and that worked.
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Which way did you move the front crossbar and how much?
    Thanks,
    Gene
  • Options
    Make sure the rounded edge is facing forward, not the sharp edge, like the wings on an air plane.

The moonroof is loud when it's open, because it's so huge. Opening the rear windows stops any buffeting. Then it's a virtual open air experience.

-juice
  • Options
    Yep, tweeters are right by the side mirror. Good place to be.
  • Options
    That is a good place for them to be. My 98 has them mounted forward of the door handles and I wished I could reposition them.

Well, if I get a Forester XT that would fix the problem. :-)

Ken
  • Options
    But aren't the ones forward of the door handle easier to access? I heard installation was a snap.

-juice
  • Options
    I have to think that the ones on the mirror mounts are easier to deal with -- they just pop on/off as an external piece, which is very easy to get to.

The tweeters on my WRX are mounted forward of the door handles. You have to remove the entire door panel to access them. What really bugs me though is that they are in the totally wrong place -- you can barely hear them. The mirror-level tweeters on our Outback and Forester are much better placed.

Craig
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Just caught up on the last 50 or so posts. Here's a few random comments based on my experiences with my old '99 L and current '03 XS Premium with leather....

1) It sounds like I am the only one that is not in love with my Geolanders. They tend to squeal way too easily going around corners or parking with a tight radius. Yes, I've played with the air pressure and had the dealer check the alignment. They're OK in the rain and snow, but not the best. I attribute the AWD for the surefootedness more than the tires.

2) Yes, Subaru says that the G900's are custom for the Forester. But that's just marketing talk for OEM tires that have some unique characteristic that Subaru specified. I don't think there's anything too different about them from other Geolanders, IMHO.

3) I plan on replacing my tires with the top rated Dunlop SP Sport A2's. They're excellent all-around tires with great grip and are reasonable quiet. They do not have raised white letters, but after seeing pix of the Japanese spec Foresters, I like the all-black better. Also, Consumer Reports a few months back tested a bunch of tires and found that ALL tires loose most of their poor weather grip as soon as 50% tread wear. My wife read the article and agreed we will get new tires WAY sooner than when they're down to the tread indicator. Yippee!

4) Rough idle -- I only notice a *minor* vibration when the A/C is on and I am in drive with the brakes on. Otherwise, it's not that bad.

5) Wind noise -- no noticeable annoying wind noise with the sunroof or mirrors. Have never had that problem.

6) Forester vs. Santa Fe vs. Highlander -- I wanted a Highlander at first, but I comparably equipped Highlander to a loaded Forester is $9,000 more, and all you're getting is a V-6, traction control, woodgrain dash, and traction control. No thanks! The Santa Fe has evolved to a good car and is a little roomier, but the Forester is more refined and much easier to fall in love with.

7) DIRECT CONTROL -- I wish Subaru had been clearer what the Direct Control is on the XT, but it has implied it's an all-new transmission with smoother shifts. I don't know how anyone else feels, but to me this is a BIG deal. One of Subaru's biggest shortcomings are their less-than-smooth transmissions. All 3 of my Subarus have been rough shifters unless you drive them just right. I think a smoother transmission is a definite selling point for waiting for the 2004s.

Whoa! Sorry so long folks! Just my $.02.

Elliot
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    In general means that the AT will last significantly shorter as far as life. A "smooth" shifting tranny means the torque converter is allowed more slipping, which builds up heat and causes the torque converter to fail. That is why so many of the domestic cars that are smooth shifting trannies puke their guts at 80K miles.

I personally like the snappy shifting in my Trooper and Subaru 4EATs mostly cause I know it means a longer life cycle.

-mike
  • Options
    puke their guts

Let's not get too technical there, mike! LOL

The current auto tranny is proven and robust, and to some that's what matters.

-juice
  • Options
    casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    A heads-up: the 2003 Forester will be part of Consumer Reports' test of small SUVs in their June issue. This info comes from one of their auto-test engineers over at ConsumerReports.org.
  • Options
    About time! Their data was way out of date. In their new car issue, they listed a model that no longer exists in the Safety Assessment ratings.

Since then, they've added EBD (XS), H-rated tires with "A" traction ratings to replace S- and "B" rated tires (X), standard head/chest side air bags (all), and a bigger rear roll bar (all). Plus quicker steering and active head rests. 2004s might even get 4 discs on the X models.

I don't think they had looked at one since the 2001 refreshened models came out.

Any how, they are tougher on their overall ratings so I doubt it'll do any better. It's virtually tied with the RAV4 for their highest overall rating already. It's also tied for 1st in reliability (with the CR-V).

-juice
  • Options
    Subaru dealer wants a fortune for theirs. Does anyone know where to find one so my dog stays in the cargo area and can't jump over the seat?

Thanks
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I have the Sport A2s on my OB. I am very pleased with their performance. However, as they have worn, they have gotten pretty noisy. I am the second person here who has commented on the noise. In Dunlop's defense, I checked their website and they mention to rotate the tires in a X pattern for AWD vehicles. I have been rotating them front to back. I am going to rotate them soon in the X pattern and see if the noise decreases.

Greg
  • Options
    ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    If you dont' care about OEM equipment, they have some generic ones on ebay for $30 or so. Never tried them, so I don't know how well they work. Someone was selling used one on one of the other subaru forums for $75, and if you want a brand new subaru one, you could go to subaruparts.com or allsubaru.com and get them for $130.
  • Options
    Try Subaruparts.com or subaru-auto-parts-online.com or libertysubaru.com and see what price they quote you.

Greg
  • Options
    secretariat73secretariat73 Member Posts: 47
    The cigarette lighter socket has come loose on my '02 Forester. How much work is it to take the center panel off to get at it for repair/replacement? Any Web sites with instructions on how to do so?

-Steven-
  • Options
    lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Steven...pretty stright forward. A couple of screws behind the cup holder and a couple in the arm rest. Panel then just pops out to reveal the lighter.

Hope this helps.......
  • Options
    Yeah, start up at the center arm rest. Lift the cover, there are 2 or 3 screws there. Remove those, then tilt it forward. Work your way forward, then the center console becomes accessible.

It's not hard at all, much easier than on the Legacy IMO. No pics, sorry, I think bitman had some but those were for the Legacy. You may want to look on NASIOC under mods, look at the short shift kit install because the instructions are basically the same for 2/3rds of your work.

-juice
  • Options
    There you go, it's 2 screws.

The tough part on the Legacy is the ash tray removal and the screw in the way back of the radio unit. Forester is easy.

-juice
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    While scanning ebay I came across a forester with 263,xxx miles on it in CA .
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2411804060&category=13484
    Mike k
  • Options
    psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I have a 03 Forester x I want to replace the whole wiper blade with Trico aftermarket blades. I measure the drivers side at 21.5 inches and the passenger side at 18.5 inches. Blades do not come in halh sizes. Is is better to get them a little larger or smaller, or should I just stick with the Subaru dealer wipers.
  • Options
    I'd probably go up a half inch, but check for clearance on your windshield before you bite.

Quarter million mile clubber there. Wow, if it's gone that far it'll probably never break. Someone ought to buy that.

-juice
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    I just posted the link check it out .
  • Options
    sfdriversfdriver Member Posts: 35
    Please see this thread for Trico wiper sizes. Message #10201.
  • Options
    $3900 is cheap. Edmunds TMV is $6408 for private party sale (average condition, which might be optimistic). Buy it for the chassis, get new seats and carpeting, or maybe lift it for off road use. Or just a beater.

-juice
  • Options
    Wiper blades: Good tip on the Tricos. I've found aftermarket replacements to never quite fit. I've just bitten the bullet and purchased replacements at the dealer since blades are not replaced so often. But now that'll change!

juice: I was going to say $3900 is high given the milage. I KBB'd my Forester for grins and it spit out a figure around $8K. That's with 1/3 the miles and in "good" condition. I think used car sales are very slow in our area.

Ken
  • Options
    psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for sending me back to message 10201 that is the info I needed
  • Options
    ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    Here they are. Never tried putting a picture on here, so here it is

I don't know how to get them to show up as a picture, but anyway.. They're only 55 watters right now, not as bright as I'd like, but I'm going to upgrade them to 130+ watts eventually. I have it temporarily wired in to be switched on through the high beams through a single relay, I might change it though.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    it says that your album is password protected. :(

-Brian
  • Options
    newcar4newfamnewcar4newfam Member Posts: 20
    You Forester people are making my choice of Subie more difficult. I have to say I have been so impressed with how much people seem to love their Foresters!! Everyone seems to say that they are so much fun to drive, incredibly reliable, and roomy.

I really need a car to fit an emerging family so I'm probably looking at the Legacy wagon, but with people always raving about their Foresters, I almost feel liking joining in the fun and making the family squeeze into a Forester for the long trips. I can always buy a big car-top carrier, right?

Anyhow, I'll be test driving the Subies in a month or so and make my decision thereafter. Who knows, maybe I'll even wait until I save some Subie bucks and save for the XT. Too many wonderful, exciting choices for one man alone.

Barkley.
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
  • Options
    casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    I talked to a Forester owner yesterday who said she loves her Forester except for the cruise control, which she said has a hard time maintaining the set speed -- when you take your foot off the gas after setting it, when you go uphill, etc. ... Anyone else have a similar experience, or is this an anomaly?

Not trying to be a troll ... actually I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger on an '03 XS sometime in the next month or so. I took another test-drive a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed the car very much. Didn't try the cruise control, though!
  • Options
    It's obvious you are just asking for info. Trolls have a certain way about them. Anyway, I have an OB and have no complaints towards the cruise. My suggestion would be to test drive one with cruise on in different situations to see if it is OK for you.

Greg
  • Options
    Cruise seems to work fine on all our Soobs, including the 03 XS. Heck of a lot better than the cruise on my wife's old Mazda 626, I can tell you that. It would fall behind and then really hammer the throttle to catch up. Felt like an amusement park ride. Thank god the car was underpowered!

Several things can affect cruise control by the way, so it's not far fetched that they might need to be adjusted at some point.

Craig
  • Options
    I've found the cruise control on my Forester to work well also. It keeps the speed that I set it to even on hills (I have 5-speed) as advertised. Also, I like the controls (the separate cruise control "paddle") for the cruise control as well. It enables me to make small changes to the set speed easily.

It could be possible that there might be a minor problem (small vaccum leak) in your friend's Forester that could be causing the cruise control to not perform smoothly. It's not an issue I've heard of happening, but within the realm of possibilities.

Ken
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Is the marketing support really another $500 or $1,000 off dealer invoice that the customer doesn't see or know about but could possibly get a better price? TIA
This discussion has been closed.