Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    mre4,

My guess is the Fuji earnings estimate annoucement and the sale on Foresters in your local area are conincidental. Typically, large multinational companies allow the local offices, in this case Subaru of America, to make pricing decisions. Furthermore, dealers often have discretionary pricing vis-a-vis their head office as well. It would probably take quite a push from Fuji Heavy to ripple down to your local Oregon dealership.

I haven't been following sales figures, but how about other Subaru models or even other makes? Is the decline on the Forester sales idiosyncratic or systemic?

Ken
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    ...were huge earlier in the year, then let off in the last couple of months.

Not sure why.

-kens: Sorry we missed you on your recent trip to CO. Maybe next time...

-brianV
  • dcdouglasdcdouglas Member Posts: 28
    Allhorizon: The only personality change I've got is frustration...I don't have enough seat time in the new XT/PP! (My wife commutes daily in our XT while I'm pedaling/riding the bus.) This should change this week with the first road trip. Will test cruise, long trip manners and repost my thoughts!
    --dcdouglas
  • sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    I believe that the XT is the X model Forester with the Turbo engine but what in the heck is PP?

I've seen this reference made in a couple of posts and I'm guessing perhaps "premium package"?

If so, what do you gain over the regular XT model?

Thanks in advance,
    Donn
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, PP is the Premium Package.

Forester sales are off in Japan, that's what he's referring. Of course they don't get the wonderful 2.5T engine.

-juice
  • ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    Hey everyone,
    If anyone on the west coast (or east coast too) wants to have some fun

http://www.rallyusa.com/adv_general.html

I wasn't able to go last year, but I'm in for sure this year.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I have a new appreciation for certain features of the '03 XS: the weather band, heated seats, outside temperature gauge, AWD, light weight and narrow body.

All these allow me to drive through my citrus orchard at night, check temperatures, float through soggy ground without leaving ruts, and determine weather I am going to lose my crop or not, all in heated and knowledgeable comfort.

John
  • tahoecharlietahoecharlie Member Posts: 15
    I only use my XT for such mundane tasks as slogging through snow to the ski resort down the road.

Tahoe Charlie
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    That's pretty cool -- you should send that story into Subaru's Drive magazine.

Craig
    John,

That is way cool. You need to share a photograph of that activity.

Can you harvest through the moonroof? :-D

Ken
  • rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    On the commute Fri during a snow storm my 03X windshield cracked directly above the defrost vent. I had the defrost running at max and all of a sudden a crack shot from left to right almost the entire width of the windshield about two inches above the bottom frame. I can't believe using the defrost for what it was designed to do should cause this. Is there something about cars mfg in Japan using "cheap" glass? are there different qualities of glass and is there a way to determine quality when getting a replacement. Thanks in advance. Bob L.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I can't believe this is normal behavior -- there had to be a defect in the windshield for this to happen. We've had our 03 Forester in some pretty cold weather without experiencing this.

Are you still within the 3/36 warranty?

Craig
    Either you had a very small crack there that you didn't see or there was some defect in the windshield.

The OE glass on the Forester windshield isn't of poor quality, but I have noticed that my Carlex replacement (US made Legacys use Carlex) seems a little less prone to chips.

Ken
    You're not the only one driving around orchards:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p4d13a0a6934daa2e8957- 93094d34a7b9/fceb18b5.jpg

I don't have the heated seats or the temp gauge. Guess that still makes me jealous.

Actually Ken, Carlex makes the OE glass too, at least mine.

Run a pen along the crack, if it stops and you find a pit, it was hit. Maybe stress from the temp change was the straw that broke the camel's back. Insurance covers it in this case, usually on your Comprehensive.

If there is no pit, I'd call 800-SUBARU3 and try to get a free replacement.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It was deffective from the factory. That would be my guess.

-mike
    nice pic, is that your Forester? You might need that King lift kick with your cover crop so high :).

I like running through the middles when the filaree is iced over, it is a cheap way to use my Forester as a mower. Saves herbicide too :).

John
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    OK, fellow Forester devotees, I will probably replace my Forester 2001 S in a couple years. What do you think one should be able to look forward to a bit down the road?
    (There are no limits on imagination.)
    2004 Best family car small SUV.
    We were visiting an apple orchard in Virginia. Yeah, that area's ground cover was overgrown, but we go around just fine. We had actually crammed 6 people in the car (most kids).

In 2 years? Forester will be in its last year. We will see the base model get AVCS and 180hp, plus better mileage. VTD AWD will be standard and VDC stability control an option, stand-alone.

The XT will have a 17" wheel option, and they'll finally admit power was 250hp all along, 260 lb-ft of torque. That engine will get double AVCS and maybe a boost beyond that.

Not that it needs it. Read the new C&D, they have a BMW X3 review, and one editor compares it to the Forester XT, and much prefers the Subie. Never mind that it costs $15 grand less!

-juice
    interesting, when I spent some time in Israel in the 80's, the popular farm vehicle was the Subaru Brat. Think about it: light weight, economical, AWD. Probably cheaper to buy back then compared to an equivalent Kawasaki Mule or John Deere Gator, and road worthy besides.

IMO, Subaru could seriously promote their Baja Turbo as a farm vehicle. I see a ton of Chevy Avalanches driven by farmers, and the Baja Turbo could easily win every comparison except towing capacity.

John
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    IIRC was never AWD, it was part-time 4wd.

-mike
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Brumby or Brat, depending on where you live in the world. they remain a very popular farm vehicle here in Australia. Somehow, the Baja does not have quite the same feel to it. Its a much bigger, heavier vehicle with nowhere near the same off road ability.

I love my Outback but the front and rear overhangs are poor and ramp angle compromised by the bumpers. Whilst it handles poor traction conditions well, it is nowhere near as capable as the Brumby was on poor trails.

Cheers

Graham
  • ohsubeguyohsubeguy Member Posts: 21
    I have a '99 Forester. The other night I noticed my hazard light button and the rear window defogger button were not illuminated. Are those two buttons suppose to be illuminated when the exterior lights are turned on? I can't remember. If they are suppose to be illuminated when the exterior lights are turned on, is it a bulb that needs replaced? And how do you go about doing that?

ohsubeguy
  • mjsnd80mjsnd80 Member Posts: 48
    I have posted notes of praise for my '03 Forester XS... but now there's a black cloud!

The CHECK ENGINE light went on; I took it to the dealer and they said there was a misfire code, and blamed bad gas. It's not due for a new fuel filter yet, but I had them change it anyway. They refused to cover a PENNY under the warranty, not even the diagnostics for this unscheduled service call.

When I questioned this, and asked what the warranty did cover --- the service manager threw an absolute fit - and told me not to come back!!

I went to the sales manager with this, later on that evening. He had been told about the SM's tantrum and incredible behavior by a few employees who witnessed the exchange!! I also wrote to the dealership owners... and haven't heard anything back yet.

Now I need to know where to go at Subaru Corporate. What is the structure and who do you call when you're treated so poorly by one of their dealer service deparments??

I walked into that place eleven months ago and paid cash for a new car... and got treated like that??? Amazing!!

Subaru certainly wants and needs to know about this problem.

I'll post results and updates on this board too. Users have been very helpful in the shopping/buying/driving process so far.

Thank you.

Martin
  • dali5dali5 Member Posts: 1
    This morning my wife noticed an 8" crack in the windshield of my 2004 Forester X, starting 1/4" below the top molding a little left of center and curving down behind the rearview mirror. There is an infinitessimal chip at the top of the crack, detectable by touch but not by sight. The car is less than 3 weeks old! I have driven almost all of its 385 miles personally and never noticed anything hit the windshield.

Anyway, my first question is for recommendations on where to get the windshield replaced in the greater Boston area. I am willing to travel for quality service, certainly within eastern Massachusetts and perhaps beyond. The dealer where I bought the car was pretty unimpressive on prep -- getting an oil stain on the driver's floor mat and leaving the tire pressure about 5 lbs too high -- and even the saleman complains about how "you can't trust anyone there to do things right" (a remark he made twice when I came to take delivery of the car, with no provocation on my part). I am wary about letting this particular service department do a repair as difficult as a windshield replacement for fear that they will create water or wind leaks.

My second question, raised by the thread above, is whether this damage could be the result of a defect and therefore covered by warranty. As I said, there is a chip but it is truly tiny - not much bigger than a grain of sand. I have not yet contacted the dealer or my insurance company, as I have been hoping to find a recommended repair facility first.

By the way, although I am a Subaru newbie and this is my first post, I have been reading this Forester message site for a long time as I was deciding what kind of car to buy. It's a very informative message site and is conducted in an impressively civilized fashion.

David
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I am also having trouble with the "Check Engine Light". I have a 99 Forester S with 66,000 miles. I have had the computer reset 3 times now (started around 60,000 miles), and the dealership keeps blaming "bad gas". I am getting gas at different gas stations, but the light comes back on within 100 miles of being reset. Is this a problem other owners have had? I am very frustrated as the dealership is 50 miles away. The engine runs rough in the morning whenever this light is on, otherwise it's fine. -- Mary
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I'm with Graham on the bumpers affecting the approach/departure angles. Someone pointed out that a Legacy GT actually has better approach angles than the Outback due to smaller bumpers!

Martin: call 800-SUBARU3. That dealer needs a serious lesson in customer service.

David: first welcome. You'll find a lot of other Daves here. :o)

In MD, insurance covers windshield glass, so check with your agent first. If not, you don't have heating elements on the X model, so any windshield will do. The one on the XS is pricier.

CEL can be frustrating because it's usually nothing, yet you have to reset them. Thank the feds for that rule.

You can buy an ODB2 scan tool for about $110. I think Brian Bear pointed a site out to me. I had inquired about a group buy, but they never got back to me.

They have a couple of models, but one model fits all Subies, and Mazdas, so it would work on all 3 of the cars in my fleet.

A quicker/cheaper way is to reset the ECU. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait 20 minutes, then reconnect. Be ready if you have an alarm with the keyless remote. Then start her up, let it idle 'til warm. That should reset the light if it was just bad gas. If the light comes back on you need to check the code, enter the ODB2 scanner.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    http://www.OBD-2.com is where I got my scanner. I have the ISO version which lets me hook up to our MPV and our Outback. It not only can reset (or activate) codes, but you get (virtually) real time data of all sensors to log in a psuedo-dashboard or sensor listing. The latest version even does real-time MPG.

There are others as well, but this one will hook up to a 'lowly' pentium I laptop. With the group buy at MPV club, I got mine for under $100.

* no, I'm not affiliated, related, or partnering with obd-2.com * :-)

-Brian
    Does anybody know where I can buy the two replacement hepa filters for my '02 Forester at less than the Subaru Parts.com price of $32.50?

Also my CEL came on about two years ago after I had not replaced the gas cap tightly enough (you know 6 or 7 clicks worth) when refueling. After about 100 miles of driving it went out. Now while reading some of the recent posts here I'm wondering is there anything I need to be concerned about or need to have reset?

Thanks to all,
    Donn
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Martin- Your service call absolutely should have been covered under the basic warranty. However, if you insisted that they replace the fuel filter "just because" then that wouldn't be covered. Hopefully SOA can help you get reimbursed for the cost of the diagnostics.

David- It's possible that the windshield was chipped while still on the transport truck. You could have easily missed a small chip when you took delivery (FYI: a chip is most likely to turn into a crack on a cold morning when the defrost is turned on). You can try to convince the dealer to fix it but I personally wouldn't hold out much hope for that. Hopefully you live in a state that mandates replacement glass coverage. If so, your insurance company will arrange for someone to come to you to replace the glass. Otherwise you will have to pay the comprehensive deductible if you want the insurance company to replace it.

Mary- Sounds like your dealer's service dept isn't the best. If your engine is running rough and you've changed brands of gas then there's got to be something else wrong. I suggest you find a local reputable repair shop to look at it. Any half-way decent shop can pull the codes and since you're out of warranty anyway, there's no reason to drive 50 miles for poor service.

-Frank P.
    IIRC, Subaru was going to raise the height of the Baja Turbo (and I presume, the regular Baja too) by 1 ". If, they also put in a lower first gear like they did for the Forester Turbo, it is possible that the Baja has an entirely different feel off-road than the first gen.

John
  • mjsnd80mjsnd80 Member Posts: 48
    Frank P:

You're right, I did have them replace the fuel filter. My decision, my dime.

It was the $72 diagnostics charge for the CHECK ENGINE light that initiated the unscheduled visit to the Subaru dealer service dept.

That service manager really flipped out! I have never, ever seen such unprofessional, unprovoked hostility in all my life! He either forgot his medication that day... or maybe took too much!

I will post again when there's some reaction from their side.

Thank you!

Martin
    What's the protocol on that? Shouldn't any warning light be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty? Seems like he sees this as a profit center, that's nonsense.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Well of course warnings lights are covered under the B-to-B. Demanding the customer pay a $72 diagnostic fee is tantamount to armed robbery!

Martin- I hope you've called 800-SUBARU3 and reported this. IMO that service manager should be filing for unemployment.

-Frank P.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I'm the one with the '99 Forester with the recurrent CEL. Went to the Subaru dealership today, and this time they said I need a new coil pack. There was a groove worn in the old one. I hope this fixes the problem. Has anyone had a coil pack replaced at around 66,000 miles? Is that typical? It was rather expensive. By the way, I have been having the CEL problem repeatedly over the last six months and never once was I charged for any kind of "diagnostics". And my car is 4 years old!
    -- Mary
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    I have a '98 Forester L. I had the CEL once, right around 60k. I had Auto Zone do a diagnostic check. They told me that one of the spark plugs was misfiring. They were right. I was just about to take it in for the 60k service, too. I've never been charged for a diagnostic fee, no matter what the mileage. Heck, Auto Zone does it for free.

Jim
    Hey Juice, thank you for the awesome list of authorized Subaru parts dealers! I checked them all and found the best price at "AllSubaru.Com". They wanted $31.96 for the cabin filters but when you consider the shipping charge and the number of days it takes to arrive I opted for a local Subaru dealer in San Diego. They charged $39.95.
    Another dealer in town wanted $54.95!! The rest of the sites you listed were between $32 to $39 plus shipping which averaged around $6 to $8 dollars.

I'm having the same dealer I bought the filters from align my Forester. Has anyone had their Forester aligned at a dealer, and if so, what did you pay? Just curious to see how prices may vary from state to state.

Thanks again Juice if you are ever in San Diego the cerveza is on me!

Donn
  • taxmanjefftaxmanjeff Member Posts: 14
    I've noticed in the vehicle specifications for the Forester (and other model Subies) on the Subaru website that only the front passenger air bag is described as being "dual stage" while the driver's front air bag is apparently the old "killer" kind that deploys at full force regardless of the severity of a frontal impact. Has anybody else noticed this? I'm considering purchasing a Forester for my wife who is short in stature and tends to sit fairly close to the steering wheel but am concerned about the safety of the driver side air bag. Virtually every other manufacturer now installs next generation or dual stage front air bags for both the driver and front passenger so it seems that Subaru is a little behind the times. I drive a 1996 Legacy GT wagon myself but always have my seat back as far as it will go since I'm a six footer so the "killer" air bags aren't as much as an issue for me.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Did Subaru ever use those? I have only heard of American manufacturers installing the infamous high-velocity air bags. From what I have heard, most if not all European and Japanese manufacturers never had that problem.

There is a big difference between an adult (even a small one) being hit with a standard air bag, and an infant - especially, in a reverse-facing car seat. Infants don't drive cars, so no need to install dual stage in the driver's seat in my opinion.

- D.
  • lowellklowellk Member Posts: 30
    Donn,

Which S.D. Subaru dealer, Baker or Balboa? The cabin filters in my '03 are due for a change, so I'll be picking up a set soon.

Cheers,

Lowell
    Baker in Carlsbad. The BB in El Cajon quoted the $54 price and Balboa was currently out of stock. After the fires and the recent Santa Ana conditions kicking up more ash and dust your filters probably need changing sooner than later.

Donn
  • lowellklowellk Member Posts: 30
    Thanks, Donn.

You're right about the ash. The darn stuff is everywhere, still. After those terrible fires, it'll be mud slides next. :{(

I wonder why there was such a big difference in price between the two BB locations. They are, after all, both part of the same company.

I'll probably be taking my '03 in for service at the El Cajon shop in a couple of weeks. I'll see if they're quoting the same price then. If so, and they won't haggle, I'll order filters from an on-line store. I live in Chula Vista, so the cost of petrol and my time for a trip to Carlsbad adds up to more than the shipping cost of an on-line purchase. Besides, it's fun when the big brown van pulls up in front of the house.

Cheers,

Lowell
  • williamskmwilliamskm Member Posts: 20
    Yesterday it was fairly cold, around 30. When I started my Forester in the morning, the defrost and the AC came on automatically. I turned it off. Then when I drove it at lunch time it did it again. When I stopped for lunch then got in the car again it did not come one. Last night going home from work, it did it again.
    I do not have the auto climate control running. I turn the heat on manually because I don't like the huge blast of cold air that happens with the auto mode.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Should the defrost come on automatically like that?
  • ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    I don't believe mine has ever behaved that way. Like you, I long ago turned the automatic climate control feature off. When I start the engine, the system begins operating in whatever mode I left it in.
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    My AC does the same, but the defrost comes on only when I'm starting in the morning. It's about 25-30F now.
  • ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    I do not react at all well when I encounter the term "killer air bag".

Think, people. Don't be led around by the nose by sensationalist media and avaricious, unprincipled trial lawyers. Ask yourselves a few probing questions: How many of the people who allegedly have been "killed" by an air bag would have survived the crash if the air bag had not deployed? Perhaps a few, mainly in fluky low-speed impacts that just barely triggered the device.

Then ask: How many of those relatively few so-called victims were not wearing their lap-and-shoulder seatbelts - and how many would have survived their encounter with the airbag if they'd simply been properly belted in? You're down to a very small number who actually were belted in and who died as a direct result of the airbag and who would have survived without it. Those are the only deaths that can actually, rationally be blamed on the airbags.

Finally, consider how many thousands more would have died in higher-speed crashes if the so-called "killer" air bags had not been in their vehicles?

Where is the balance - let alone any semblance of thoughtful analysis - in the reckless accusations about "killer air bags"?

I haven't seen any authoritative studies that would definitively answer these rather obvious questions, but you can bet your last dollar that the trial lawyers who feed on trumped-up product liability lawsuits and extorted settlements could not care less about finding the real truth.
  • williamskmwilliamskm Member Posts: 20
    Guess I'll chalk it up to a Forester idiosyncrasy! Compared to the problems I have had, this is minor!
    Who here has passed the 200K mark in their Forester? How far beyond?
    Just curious.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.