Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    brianV: Moonroof and side air bags weren't available when I bought mine.

paisan: I could live with a wheel bearing failure after 50K miles. Recall I've had three already in my car, at 8K, 13K (improper install), and 32K. And still I plan to buy another Subaru, knowing that the design flaw has been addressed.

Ed
  • Options
    solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    I replaced the Geolanders at 58,000 on my Forester and went to Discount tire and bought 4 Kumho Ecsta HP4-716's.....They are all season touring tires.....Paid $46 each.

Some other guy with a Forester turned me on to them... I now have 9,000 miles on them and they are a dream....

The car grips and corners like my friend's BMW..

What a difference driving the road in Colorado between Canon City and Salida....

P.S. Discount Tire gave me $10 each for my used Geolanders ....They still had 1/4 inch of tread left.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I think my comments were in terms of the AWD system and 1/4" circumference wear. Would you mind wearing out your AWD center diffy every 50K with a multi-thousand dollar repair bill?

-mike
  • Options
    williamskmwilliamskm Member Posts: 20
    Due to issues with my 03 Forester, SOA is comping me a 100,000 mile extended warranty. Does anyone know the value (ie cost) of this warranty?

Thanks
    Kim
  • Options
    dinnerdogdinnerdog Member Posts: 6
    I am planning on buying a Forester XT with premium package. The dealer says the service agreement ($1050 for 3 years/45k miles) will save me money, as it prepays all the scheduled services at a discount and at today's rates).

They also want to sell me an extended warranty.

What do you all think I should do? I normally don't buy extended warranties. If I needed an extended warranty for a product, I shouldn't buy that product.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will give you an idea of what we think your maintenance costs are going to be.

I don't like prepaid maintenance or extended warranty plans, but some people like the comfort and perks (like loaner cars) they give them. The ext. warranty may even pay off if you have a bunch of problems down the road, but I'd rather keep my money and take my chances.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Who is the service agreement with? If it's with the dealer, definitely don't get it. You might decide you don't like their service department or something. And $1050 seems high to me -- if I extrapolate my service costs to 45,000 miles, it's not going to be nearly that much (less than $300 is my estimate for doing it myself).

Finally, ask yourself what you can do with that $1050, whether it earns interest, gets invested, etc. I'm fairly certain you will benefit from having that money more than the dealer!!

As far as the extended warranty, some people like it but I have never needed one with Subarus or Hondas. If you really want it, be sure to shop around as prices vary, and be sure to get the "Subaru" warranty. I think someone else posted that prices varied as much as $400 on the Subaru warranties depending on the dealer.

If the dealer is pushing either of these options too strongly, I would get the impression they are trying to work you over. For reference, you should be able to buy most Subarus (except the STi) for very close to invoice. We paid about $300 over for our Forester XS when they first came out last summer. Probably even better deals now.

Craig
  • Options
    The Service Agreement is with all Subaru dealers. I added up the cost for the first 45k worth of services and the dealer will charge me $1405. If I pay ahead of time I save $400. I think some of their rates are expensive: $134 for oil change and tire rotation (synthetic oil).

Edmunds service for the 2004 XT doesn't match what I downloaded from Subaru. It doesn't even make sense: an oil change at 3000 and at 3750? What the hell?
  • Options
    There was a thread about this back in August. Maybe we forgot an asterisk?

gened1 Aug 24, 2003 9:10pm

Is the normal oil service change interval 3,750 and not 7,000 miles then? Sounds severe to me :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Yeah, it's 3000, 7500, and then 15000, 22500, 30000, etc... for teh regular service schedule.

If you follow the severe service schedule, it's every 3750.

$134 is definitely steep, even for synthetic. When I do visit the dealer for service, they typically charge $17 for an oil change and $35 for a rotate and balance. I think $35-40 is reasonable for an oil change with synthetic considering the cost of the oil.
  • Options
    The Annapolis (Maryland) Subaru dealer charges $40 for a synthetic oil change.

I really like the Subaru Forester XT. I'm almost dead set on buying one. I put $200 to hold one being brought in this week, but these service rates are making me nervous. I guess I'll have to call around and see what other area dealers charge.
  • Options
    paisan: Your original post: "I think they are talking long-term effects like wheel bearings. You'll see em fail after 50K of in-proper sizing."

Granted, wheel bearings and differentials are different beasts. I should spend a little time on the Audi boards and elsewhere to find out if all full-time AWD systems are as sensitive to changes in tire size.

Ed
  • Options
    The issue seems more related to AWD systems that use a viscous coupling. When there's a difference in rotational speed, friction betwen some plates heats up the fluid and transfers torque. This is not meant to be a full time occurence, so it's possible that the fluid can break down under continuous heating. That would be my guess at least.

Craig
  • Options
    haly2haly2 Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone, I know this isn't the right place to post this and maybe somebody can direct me to the right forum if my question can't be quickly answered here.

I'm helping my boyfriend change oil in my '02 Forester and we've got the belly pan off and changed oil and filter but now we're trying to put the belly pan back on and we've fastened the four bolts but can't figure out how to re-attach the fasteners in the wheel wells.

Can somebody quickly tell us how to re-attach these fasteners or direct us to the right forum to ask? TIA!

I'll surely appreciate any response!

Thanks!

---haly
  • Options
    Try asking in Subaru Crew - General Maintenance & Repair II too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    oh, hi Steve! So I can post the same question over there? Okay, thanx!

---haly
  • Options
    Sure, cross-post away. Maybe one of the Crew is there at the moment.

There's an oil change thread there that you can browse while waiting for responses:

hammersley "Subaru Crew - General Maintenance & Repair II" Aug 18, 2002 11:29am

Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Thank you, Steve!!! image

---haly
  • Options
    I think you just push em back in. If they are like the other fasteners on the subies.

-mike
  • Options
    hi mike, yeah, we tried pushing 'em back in but they don't seem to want to fit. We tried to pound them back in but can't get enough leverage to really give them a good rap. It seems they are too big for the hole they came out of. My bf says that if he can find a long screwdriver and then take a hammer to that it might work but he says there has to be an easier way.

For now, we'll just leave them un-fastened for it doesn't seem to hurting anything.

Thanks for your response, mike.

---haly
  • Options
    I think you pull the center plug out, push in the side fastener, then push the center plug in.

-mike
  • Options
    oh, gee, mike ...you make it sound so simple! we'll give that a try and let you know. Thanks again!

---haly
  • Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    Haly those things are a real pain. I don't use them on mine. What I do is bolt the pan up & slip the tabs that those fasteners go through up behind the metal of the frame. Take a look under there & I think you'll see what I mean. I have 77,000 miles on my Forester & I've never used them. No problem. =)
  • Options
    Whew!!!!! ...we did it!! I didn't know my boyfriend knew that many dirty words! We loosened the bolts and then followed mike's advice of pulling the middle part out and then trying to push it in. However, it wasn't that easy ...it took about 2 bruised knuckles and about 10 extremely profane expressions to get the first one in. The second took a konck on the forehead, a cut index finger and about a dozen expletives. Well, at least he'll be able to do it expeditiously the next time. Oh wait! ...he just yelled over at me "there ain't gonna be a next time~!!" Okay, well, at least I'll be able to do it myself a lot easier the next time! :p

Chuck, I can see why you do that! I'll definitely consider it. Or, we were thinking of ditching the fasteners and using just a nut and bolt. Why couldn't they have just used another set of bolts that screw into the metal just like the other four bolts???

Thanks again, Steve, mike and Chuck! image

---haly
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I have a 2001 Forester that has the same plastic shield as your 2002. I do my own oil changes every 3000 miles. I now have 78,000, so I've done a lot of oil changes on this car! I used to struggle with those plastic fasteners also, but now I just leave them out. The 4 bolts on the bottom keep the shield in place, and I haven't seen any wear from the shield moving around on the side.

Len
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    haly: there is nothing solid in that area that they could bolt on to. So they attach to the plastic fender liner, which is soft plastic, hence the fasteners.

Sorry I was not around this weekend, I have photos of the fasteners, oh well.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Richard- I'm quite certain that the maintenance costs for the Forester are in line with the industry avg. What it sounds like to me is that you have a greedy dealer who's trying to fleece you.

If you were born yesterday and I told you an oil change costs $140 but that I can give you a "special discounted rate" of $120, you'd logically assume that I was offering you a good deal. However, since you assumably have a modicum of common sense, you know that the "real-world" cost of an oil change is a fraction of what the dealer is asking. If it were me, I might buy from them but there's now way I'd go there for service (other than for items covered under warranty).

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Len: I'm really thinking of leaving them off but I tend to be a lil bit ana* and like to have things lined up the way they should be. But, I'm really considering leaving the fasteners off because I don't want to go tearing the skin off my fingers trying to re-attach those things. Thanks so much for your reply!

juice: Oh, I was pretty sure they popped into metal but I wasn't the one who was fighting and cussing with it. :p And, where are your photos of the fasteners? ...are they accessible on the internet? So you put your fasteners in each time you re-attach your tray? --oh wait, you said you cut a hole in your tray. So you don't remove it each time, right?

So, as I asked over in the other theread, does everybody think a girl will have any problems changing oil in her Forester without any problems? I think I could do it by myself. I'm pretty sure I have enough strength to tighten the oil filter and the drain plug (and I don't think they need to be tightened that tight anyway, right?) but I'm hoping I have the strength to loosen the filter and the drain plug. Maybe I should start lifting weights or somethin' :P

---haly
  • Options
    You can always get a metal skid plate to go under there. They are held on by 4-bolts :) Check my profile for a good place to get em.

-mike
  • Options
    mike: You mean replace the plastic tray with a metal plate? ...wouldn't that be more difficult to get on and off everytime you change oil?

---haly
  • Options
    It doesn't have any clips, so it would just be 4 bolts, and bango it would come off. As an aside it would look good and protect the undercarriage :)

-mike
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The preferred term is obsessive-compulsive! :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    hi tidester!: teeheehee ...I was wondering if a moderator would catch that. Sorry, yeah, I thought about it later that I should have used the term you suggested but it was too late to edit. How come we only have a few minutes to edit posts on this board? ...well, maybe not a few minutes but it seems that way. What is it, maybe a half hour?

But thanks for reprimanding me gently, tidester! At least I didn't spell it out completely! :-p

hi again, mike!: So where on your profile do I find where to buy this metal skid plate? Does it fit exactly with no modifcations? I don't want to have to cut, trim or otherwise do any modifications to a piece of metal ...I'm terrible with tools! An oil change is about the most I want to tackle that involves tools!

---haly
  • Options
    to the address in my profile :)

-mike
  • Options
    okay, I'll do that when I get the chance. It sounds interesting.

---haly
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    My '01 5 speed Forester recently starting exhibiting a bit of hesitation under certain conditions. I've noticed it only when accelerating from a rolling start, such as leaving an EZ Pass toll booth, or when approaching a traffic light that turns green before I come to a complete stop. Generally it occurs when I go to accelerate from around 20-40 MPH in 2nd or 3rd gear. Acceleration from a dead stop is fine, and I've never noticed any problems at higher speeds.

This has been occurring for a few weeks now, and I've gone through probably 8 or more tanks of gas, so I discount the possibility of some bad fuel. The car had new plugs, air and fuel filters (all Subaru parts) installed a few months ago, so I discount those as well.

I have an appointment with my dealer on Thursday to get it checked out, but I was hoping someone here might have heard of a similar condition involving this problem on a Subaru before.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Len
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Haly - get one of these:
    http://www.fumotovalve.com/

YM International Co., Authorized online retailer of Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve, wishes to provide you and your friends with a SPECIAL 15% DISCOUNT OFFER to thank you for your supporting
    our business and celebrate the Holiday Season.

Using SVC5 as a discount code, you and your friends will get 15% OFF when ordering at online store: www.fumotovalve.com
    This Special Offer is for limited time only. *Expiration: 12/31/03"

-Dennis
  • Options
    ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    With the nipple and some plastic tubing, you could drain the oil right into a recycling container.

I stupidly bought the one without the nipple, dang it. Using a drain hose would have been handy. I guess I feared that the additional fitting length might make it vulnerable, but after installing the regular valve I now think the nipple-equipped unit would have been fine.
  • Options
    hi again, juice!: Yeah, I really do have a lot of choices on this! Thanks so much for all your tips and advice!

Well, I'm having trouble keeping my cross-posts straight! lol! So, I think it's time to end this all. I really don't want to be a hog! I'll copy my message from the other thread here. Again, to all of you, a big THANKS!!!!!

Jon: Yep! Boy, did I learn this past week-end how hot the engine and its parts can get! ...good tip! Thanks! And, I think you're right, I probably will use a new crush washer each time. It's a conflict between my frugal side and my obsessive-compulsive side (thanx, tidester, if you're monitoring this board too! :p) but I think the obsessive-compulsive side wins! Thank you, Jon!

Dennis: Yeah! I know! But I think people on both boards are now getting tired of me. After all, I've been almost hogging both boards for the last few days. So, I think it's time that I now lay low. :p Thanks for your delightful responses, Dennis! It's been appreciated!

Okay guys, I guess I better slow it down and stop hogging the board with my posts because others have questions too! Thanks again to everybody who has taken the time to answer my questions and give me advice! The "crew" is really something! ...it's really been a startling experience to see so many people who are willing to help and share advice. You guys are great!!!!!!!!!

imageimage to all of you!!!

---haly
  • Options
    You're welcome, but stick around. We chat live every Thursday night, too, and last week there were 31 people!

-juice
  • Options
    Has anyone had problems with this? Lately both the driver's and passenger's side front belts either will not retract or are very reticent to do so (i.e., I have to give them a tug very close to the reel in order to get them to retract).

My wife is constantly slamming the door on the buckle and belt; when I tell her to push the lot of it inside the car she usually mutters something about "bad design, poor quality."

Suggestions? Is there a fix?

Ed ('00 Forester, just hit 60K miles this morning)
  • Options
    Try pulling them all the way out and rewinding a couple of times.

Craig
  • Options
    Smaller, presumably lighter, cheaper, and vastly better looking than the awkward, ungainly Santa Fe, yet retaining a V-6 option. Could be interesting...
    http://www.waitnews.com/hyundai_tucson.htm
  • Options
    It looks just like the Kia Sorrento. Sharing?

At any rate, Hyundai's quality has been steadily improving so yes, Subaru should keep an eye on it.

Ed
  • Options
    Smaller than Sante Fe would make it more of a RAV4 competitor.

I think the Sorento is bigger, plus it has a full frame and a low range. This Hyundai looks more like a small sport wagon.

-juice
  • Options
    ...like the Forester. And if the Tucson looks somewhat like the Kia Sorento, I'd call that a very good thing. There are several reasons why I wouldn't buy a Sorento, but (to my eye) it's one of the very best looking SUVs out there.
  • Options
    Maybe in passenger space, but not cargo space or payload. Forester is already better than the Santa Fe in both regards.

The Sorento's problem is weight. That causes poor fuel efficiency, which is a side effect of excess weight. Plus that 3.5l makes good torque but could do a lot better in the HP department.

Sorento is very handsome, the price is great, warranty is solid, and it offers TOD from Borg Warner. But the market wants cars, not trucks.

-juice
  • Options
    speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    ...then I think the Nissan Murano should feel honored by the new Tucson!
  • Options
    sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    I recently took my '02 Forester to Costco to have the tires rotated. The tech looked at the tires and pointed out some excessive wear on the right front and left rear tires plus possible alignment wear on the left rear.

He said since the wear bars were showing on one of the tires he wasn't allowed to rotate them and recommended that when I replace them I replace all four at the same time.

The tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 634 factory original and have 27,400 miles on them. can't believe that these tires would have so much wear in what I think is a relatively short time. The car doesn't feel like it has an alignment problem but I would really welcome any advise or ideas on what is causing this. I monitor my tire pressure regularly. I'm considering having the dealer check the alignment and then purchase some new tires, but I certainly don't want the Duelers if this is how they wear.

Any suggestions on diagnosis and better replacement tires would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Donn
  • Options
    That's what I got out of my Duelers H/Ts, 28k miles. They are not long lasting at all.

There are many better choices out there. If you still want a Bridgestone, look at a Dueler H/L, it is rated much better.

The tire size might limit your choices. I think Costco carries Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, and Michelin. You just missed a $60 rebate deal on 4 Michelin tires, it expired November 1st.

Look at the BF Goodrich Touring T/A HR4 tire. It's more pavement oriented. The CR-V comes with either that tire or the same Duelers you had, and the BFG tires are preferred by far. Plus the price is competitive.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.