Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    You can check their inventory online and see exactly what's in stock. When I was there in mid July, they had quite a few WRXs on the lot.

Craig
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Usually they have plenty. They have a lot at the main location and then an overflow lot about 2 blocks away, with shuttle service back and forth.

Search on-line, though, it's much easier.

-juice
  • Options
    tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    I checked the online inventory and they list Atlanitc Blue as a color but not WR blue. Could it be the same? The SOA website list the WR blue for the WRX but no Atlantic blue. Fitzmall doesn't seem to have photos online to confirm this. Oh well THe prices they have online make me even more sure that I will be buying from them. I just hope they have what I want when I get there. I'm about 98 percent sure that I will be getting this car even without a test drive with the XT and Legacy GT wagon as my 2nd and 3rd choices. So I cant really go wrong!
    Juice and Craig: have you had any dealings with them at all or jsut like to browse?

Thanks again,
    Kyle
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No Atlantic Blue for WRX, and no WRB for the Legacy.

-mike
  • Options
    I bought my Outback XT there in June. Great experience. I know Juice and his family have bought several cars there. I can give you the name of my sales guy there if you want -- e-mail me at "craig dot hunter at cox dot net" (they deleted my earlier post where I mentioned his name).

I actually drove 160 miles up there, from tidewater VA, because they had such a good selection and prices.

Craig
  • Options
    jimhefpghjimhefpgh Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 2001 Forester S and did not receive an owner's manual. I'm going to order one soon.

I understand that the manual tells you how to program the keyless remote.

Can somebody explain exactly how to do this? I just bought a new keyless remote and I don't want to wait until my new owner's manual arrives.

Thanks! This has been a very helpful forum already in just 3 weeks of Subaru ownership.
  • Options
    If you go to the mysubaru.com website and sign up, you will get access to online owners manuals for your car. You can browse them by chapter.

Craig
  • Options
    Yes we have a salesman there who we like very much. My dad, sister, wife, and brother have all bought cars from him and he's never let us down.

My e-mail is in my profile if you want a reference. If I get a referral fee we'll go out for lunch together and spend it! :o)

Plus I can envy your new ride.

-juice
  • Options
    did it have keyless to begin with in '01?

-mike
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    The '0l Forester S had remote keyless entry - at least mine with the premium package did... Here's what the online manual for the '01 Forester says, you can get this same info by signing up for mysubaru.com and vieing the owners manual in PDF format:
    Two transmitters are provided for your vehicle.The keyless entry system has the following functions.
    -Locking and unlocking the doors and rear gate without a key
    -Sounding a panic alarm
    -Arming and disarming the security system (if your vehicle is equipped with an optional security system).

See the next section Security system (if equipped) for detailed information. The operable distance of the keyless entry system is approximately 30 feet (10 meters). However, this distance will vary depending on environmental
    conditions. Range may be reduced near sources of RF interference such as power plants and radio/television broadcasting towers. The keyless entry system does not operate when the key is inserted in the ignition switch.

Locking the doors
    Briefly press the LOCK/ARM button (for less than two seconds) to lock all doors and rear gate. The horn will sound one time. If any of the doors or the rear gate is not fully closed, the horn will sound three times to alert you that the doors (or the rear gate) are not properly closed. When you close the door, it will automatically lock.

Unlocking the doors
    Briefly press the UNLOCK/DISARM button (for less than two seconds) to unlock the driver’s door. The horn will sound two times. To unlock all doors and rear gate, briefly press the UNLOCK/DISARM button a second time.

Illuminated entry
    The interior (dome) light will illuminate when the UNLOCK/DISARM button is pressed. The light will illuminate for approximately 30 seconds or until the key is inserted in the ignition switch or until the LOCK/ARM button is pressed. Once any of the doors or the rear gate is opened, this function will be canceled. The interior light must be set to the middle position in order for this function to operate.

Sounding a panic alarm
    To activate the alarm, keep the LOCK/ARM button pressed for more than two seconds. To deactivate it, press the LOCK/ARM button or UNLOCK/DISARM button. Unless a button on the remote is pressed, the alarm will be deactivated after approximately 30 seconds.

Selecting audible signal operation
    Using the horn, the system will give you an audible signal when the doors lock and unlock. If desired, you may turn the audible signal off. To turn the audible signal off, simultaneously depress LOCK/ARM and UNLOCK/DISARM buttons for more than two seconds. The horn will sound two times to inform you that the audible signal has been turned off. To turn the audible signal on, simultaneously depress LOCK/ARM and UNLOCK/DISARM buttons for more than two seconds. The horn will sound one time to inform you that the audible signal has been turned on.

Replacing the battery
    CAUTION Do not let dust, oil or water get on or in the transmitter when replacing the battery.
    When the transmitter battery begins to get weak, transmitter range will begin to decrease and the LED will not illuminate. Replace the battery as soon as possible. Positive (+) side facing up To replace the battery:
    1. Remove the two screws on the back of the transmitter case by using a phillips screwdriver.
    2. Separate the case.
    3. Remove the old battery from the holder.
    4. Replace with a new battery (Type CR2032 or equivalent) making sure to install the new battery with the positive (+) side facing up.
    5. Install the back half of the transmitter case.
    6. Reinstall the two screws on the back of the transmitter case.
    After the battery is replaced, the transmitter must be synchronized with the keyless entry system’s control unit. Press either the LOCK/ARM or UNLOCK/DISARM button six times to synchronize the unit.

Replacing lost transmitters
    If you lose a transmitter or want to purchase additional transmitters (up to four can be programmed), you should re-program all of your transmitters for security reasons. It is recommended that you have your dealer program all of your transmitters into your system.

Programming the transmitters
    The keyless entry system is equipped with a special code learning feature that allows you to program new transmitter codes into the system or to delete old ones. The system can learn up to four unique transmitter codes. The four transmitter codes may be the same or different.

To enter the programming mode:
    1. Press to disarm the security system (if so equipped).
    2. Open the driver’s door and sit in the driver’s seat.
    3. Close the driver’s door.
    4. Place the ignition key into the ignition switch and cycle the switch from LOCK to ON ten times within 15 seconds. Be sure to stop at the LOCK position and leave the key in the ignition. The horn will sound once to indicate that you are in the transmitter programming mode. NOTE You must finish the next step (opening the driver’s door) within 45 seconds of starting this procedures.

To program the transmitters:
    1. Open the driver’s door.
    2. Close the driver’s door.
    3. Press and release any button on the transmitter that you wish to program into the system. The horn will sound two times to indicate that the transmitter has been programmed. Any additional transmitters can also be programmed at this time. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for an additional transmitter.

To exit the programming mode:
    1. After all of your transmitters are programmed, remove the key from the ignition switch. The horn will sound three times to indicate that the system has exited the programming mode.
    2. Make sure that the keyless entry system properly operates by operating each transmitter.

Deleting old transmitter codes
    The control unit of the keyless entry system has four memory locations to store transmitter codes, giving it the ability to operate with up to four transmitters. When you lose a transmitter, the lost transmitter’s code remains in the memory. For security reasons, lost transmitter codes should be deleted from the memory. To delete old transmitter codes, program four transmitter codes into the system. If you have only one current transmit ter, program it four
    times. If you have two current transmitters, program each one twice. If you have three current transmitters, program two of them once and the third one twice. This process will leave only current transmitter codes in the system’s memory.

NOTE
    Make sure no one else is operating their keyless entry system within range of your vehicle when programming transmitters. If someone else were to operate their remote transmitter while you are programming your transmitters, it is possible that their transmitter code will be programmed into your system, allowing them unauthorized access to your vehicle.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone got a better recall link than this one? (Japan Today)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    I just moved to New Hampshire and would like to have remote starting put in my "03 Forester. I've always lived in warm climates so I don't know much about remote starters. Should I have the Subaru dealer put it in? Any special features I should consider or specs to compare? Thanks for any tips.
  • Options
    Is it an MT or AT? Most shops won't install it in an MT car.

-mike
  • Options
    deepdrop, in case you didn't know, in paisan's response, "MT" means manual transmission and AT is automatic.
    fwiw
  • Options
    I just moved to New Hampshire and would like to have remote starting put in my "03 Forester. I've always lived in warm climates so I don't know much about remote starters. Should I have the Subaru dealer put it in? Any special features I should consider or specs to compare? Thanks for any tips.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why my message posted twice. Sorry about that.
    Anyway, it is automatic transmission.
  • Options
    It's an automatic feature of ours - if you refresh your screen after posting, your post is automatically reposted. Try clicking on Recent Messages or going elsewhere in Town Hall to avoid this irritating bug. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jimhefpghjimhefpgh Member Posts: 7
    edunnett:
    thanks for posting the instructions from the manual. That's exactly what I'm looking for. In addition, I have now signed up at My.subaru.com.

paisan: The car did come with one remote. I bought an additional one and that is the one that I need to program.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .......won't someone post how the EPA higway rated 30 MPG X is doing in the real world? ...... ez...
  • Options
    foresteraccordforesteraccord Member Posts: 2
    MT 05 Forester: mine gets 24 or 25 city, 30-32 highway. Great car!
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I just got my best gas mileage ever on my 2001 Forester S 5 speed. My commute is 90% highway, and I usually set the cruise control at 65 MPH. I have been consistently getting between 24-26 MPG. I decided to try a lower speed to see the impact on gas mileage. On the last tank I kept the speeds between 55-60 MPH, and got a whopping 33.04 MPG! I was hoping for 28-29 MPG, but never expected 33. I'm going to continue this experiment over the next several tankfuls to see if this was just a fluke. Hopefully not. Maybe the engine is finally broken in (at 97K miles!).

Len
  • Options
    ..with the '05 MT X turning in 30-32 plus your 33, things are looking up around here......ez
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Subie is exclusively frameless around the side windows. Anyone who has one for several years find that the seals go or that you get an increasing amount of wind noise? I always thought that having frames around the windows made the car quiety and structurally stronger, especially in a side impact as it might hold the glass better. Any truth to that? Without the frames it would seem that you slam the glass every time you close the door. Then too, New Yorkers are wary of the frameless glass since some designs are easier to slide an instrument in and unlock the doors.
  • Options
    I have been told that the frameless windows are safer... I can't recall how/why though. Maybe it's safer in that they can more easily extract you from the car in the event of a terrible accident. I have never heard folks complain about more wind noise in the older subies though.

As far as break-ins go... hm... I was locked out of my car recently - left the keys on the seat. AAA had to come break into my car for me. How easy was it? Well, a slim jim won't work - that's the device you wiggle down between the window and the door to pop the lock from within the door. Modern cars including the subies don't relent to a slim jim. They did have to go through the window with a hanger but I don't think it was any easier on a frameless window than on my old Civic hatchback's framed window. In fact it took a while. They did wind up unlocking the passenger side door from within the cabin, using the hanger. That set the alarm off. If you have the security option, you'll know that you need the key or the remote to shut the alarm off... at least until you can find the fuse or disconnect the battery. Ah - thank you Mayor Dinkins... you can't leave your car with the alarm triggered in NYC anymore can you!? Where is Guiliani when you need him?! Well, at least you don't have a Civic Si that everyone wants to steal. Maybe you have a parking garage with security? :-[

Elissa
  • Options
    kmurpkmurp Member Posts: 21
    I have been considering a forester or a CRV. A thought occurred to me recently. i will be using my new vehicle to haul bagged garbage from our lake house in the summer as well as gas cans, weed whackers etc. Am i going to hopelessly stink up the inside of the car? Maybe i would be better off with a sedan ( to use the trunk for this stuff). Any thoughts?
  • Options
    10years10years Member Posts: 48
    Honda Element, you can water hose it out. For light loads you can't beat its utility.

Have Fun.
  • Options
    There's nothing worse than gas fumes in the car from a gas can sloshing around or a gas weed wacker leaking a little. I can't avoid it in my van or wagon so I make sure to take my short gas runs without my wife around or I get comments :-). No way would I want to smell that stuff more than a couple of miles.

Maybe a sunroof would help keep it aired out.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    What about a Baja? Open bed = no smell

-Frank
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I have been told that the frameless windows are safer... I can't recall how/why though. Maybe it's safer in that they can more easily extract you from the car in the event of a terrible accident. I have never heard folks complain about more wind noise in the older subies though.

Elissa, this actually goes back to old-school vehicle construction. There was a distinct difference between "sedan" and "hardtop". The hardtop was a much more rigidly constructed body where the roof was only supported by the corner pillars - there was no center pillar at all. The doors themselves (especially the rear doors) added much less structural rigidity than a sedan, and the windows were frameless. It's not so much that the windows themselves are safer, but the body itself is stronger to not need the additional support of full-frame doors.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • Options
    Subie is exclusively frameless around the side windows. Anyone who has one for several years find that the seals go or that you get an increasing amount of wind noise? I always thought that having frames around the windows made the car quiety and structurally stronger, especially in a side impact as it might hold the glass better. Any truth to that? Without the frames it would seem that you slam the glass every time you close the door. Then too, New Yorkers are wary of the frameless glass since some designs are easier to slide an instrument in and unlock the doors.

I had to adjust the seal on my wife's Forester (wind noise), but it was fine after that. Never any leaks or other serious problems. Subaru has built a lot of adjustability for glass angle and position, so they clearly tune the fit of the windows for the best seal.

In reality, the frameless windows are better than framed for structural strength, weight, and safety. They allocate metal that would have gone into the door frames (where they contribute little to nothing to the overall structure) into the body itself where it is more effective. So you get more structure strength and lower weight with the frameless windows.

Craig
  • Options
    chris2chris2 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody know an easy fix for high level fuel sensor misbehavior?Recently I've had CEL saying that and also an empty tank light on, while it was full. I believe it happened while NJ gas station attendant top off my fuel tank.Unfortunately they don't let you to pour your own gas in NJ. Can I ignore this CEL and drive with it on? Chris.
  • Options
    kmurpkmurp Member Posts: 21
    The thing about the Baja is.. well I have two problems with it:
    1. I am concerned with buying a soon to be discontinued car. At least it sounds like it will be.
    2. No cold weather package (heated mirrors,sets,wipers). I wonder why this is not offered. It would really help at times up north where i live.

Otherwise, yes it does sound like it fits the bill for me. I haven't bought a car for 10 years so I am having trouble making a decision on this.
  • Options
    FYI I think you can get heated seats with the leather package. I guess they don't offer a full cold weather package because the Baja was initially targeted more toward the sunbelt surfer crowd (where it flopped badly). However, I wouldn't worry about buying a Baja just because it might be discontinued. That's because there's very little mechanically that is unique to the Baja (it's based on the Outback) so replacement parts shouldn't be a problem.

-Frank
  • Options
    Frameless windows.

I have several "old" subies and the frameless windows are fine. No issues.

For security, you can do some things to prevent them from sticking an instrument in and hitting the lock buttons. We came up with a system that helps secure the subies specifically....

-mike
  • Options
    asplundhasplundh Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2002 Forester L. Recently I noticed that on fill ups the gas gauge needle does not go as far to the left as it used to. It always went beyond the "F" but now it won't go past it. I also notice that it seems to go down quicker than before. After only 100 miles its already down to the half way point. Does anyone know what this could be. I'm over my 36000 miles so I'm not sure if this would be a covered warranty item anymore. I would appreciate any info. Thanks
  • Options
    Bad sender maybe? I'm assuming that your actual mpg hasn't dropped and it's purely a guage issue. And no, it probably won't be covered under warranty since you're beyond the 36k mark and it's clearly not drivetrain related.

-Frank
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    You might have a blocked fuel vapor hose. My '04 XT does the same, but the dealer couldn't find the blockage despite having seen this problem several times.

During refueling, the nozzle always shuts off about 2.5 - 3 gallons before full. It doesn't do it when pressing the nozzle halfway during the last half of the fill-up, but this is "full-service only" NJ.

Are you getting the correct number of gallons in the tank before the pump shuts off?

-Dennis
  • Options
    asplundhasplundh Member Posts: 27
    No. It seems I am only able to put less in than before. This made my mpg shoot up so I'm sure its not correct. Last time I had less than a quarter of a tank and it filled up with 9 gallons. Perhaps you're right the fuel shut off is happening prematurely. I'll try holding the handle half way when filling up. Is there anyway that I can unblock that hose? Thanks
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    There are a couple of hoses in the evap cannister, but I'm not exactly sure if they are the right ones.

-Dennis
  • Options
    mpgman: I have a '98 and it makes absolutely no wind noise from the window seals. In fact if you're ever in the DC area come by for a ride, you'll see how impressively it has held up after 68k miles.

And I have towed and taken it off road, plus 2 kids and a dog beat it up all the time. It's holding up TOO well, actually, I have no good reason to trade it in for a turbo.

Curse you Subaru! LOL

For garbage - just get the cargo liner. For stinky stuff I'd use a tarp as well, to be safe. But nothing beats an open bed.

-juice
  • Options
    jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    My wife's 2002 Forester S Premium has dumped cold water from the lower vents twice this summer and once last summer. The lines were blown out but it happens again. Now Subaru has to take apart the dash and drain the refrigerant to look at the a/c box to see if there is a leaf or something foreign there. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    Do you run it on Recirculate all the time? This can cause the lines to freeze up.

-mike
  • Options
    I've never heard of a case like yours, sorry.

One thing I do is turn off my A/C compressor a block or two before I get home, to sort of air out the system. Mostly I do it to prevent the moldy smell, though.

-juice
  • Options
    Agreed!! ....and this would be the reason my old diesel PU will be relegated to the outdoors(if I can talk turkey in the foothills today on an '05 Forester X). I have an ad from Jan/04 "$17995" (plus Tx/Li/Doc). We shall see.ez
  • Options
    Good deal if they stick to it. Watch out for bait-and-switch.

-juice
  • Options
    Agreed!! ....and this would be the reason my old diesel PU will be relegated to the outdoors(if I can talk turkey in the foothills today on an '05 Forester X). I have an ad from Jan/04 "$17995" (plus Tx/Li/Doc). We shall see.ez
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Used to live in Rosslyn so would have taken you up on it if still there. Taking a guess, do you think we'll see side curtain air bags in the 06 models now that they are standard in the Legacy?
  • Options
    Hmmm, good question.

Thing is Legacy had a recall early on, and the IIHS results were Marginal, despite great Aussie tests.

So I think we'll see Subaru engineer them a little more before they spread. Just a guess.

Forester already scores Good on IIHS side impacts, better than the Legacy by far.

But...the conclusive comparison is this - my 2 year old son refuses to go to school in his mom's Legacy, he INSISTS on taking my Forester. It's silly but she drive him to school in that, then drives home, switches cars, and takes her car to work.

So Forester is better, period. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    So based on the last paragraph, there's absolutely no chance of you trading the Forester for a Legacy GT?

JP
  • Options
    If I bought a new car right now, today, it would be a Forester XT. The value is just unbeatable.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be as happy with a Leg GT, I just think I can't justify the rather large extra expense. Not rationally.

Nice interior, sure, so my kids can have a food fight in the back, great! ;-)

-juice
This discussion has been closed.