Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I have been using T-Rated tires on my Forester with no problems for 75,000 miles (Goodrich Touring T/A and Bridgestone Turanza LS). Traffic here often moves at speeds over 75. The Goodrich tires were OK, the Turanzas are terriffic under all conditions, including snow, as good as some of the older type dedicated snow tires. From what I understand, Foresters (except XT)are not capable of exceeding S rated speeds because of a speed governor.
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    What has this to do with a Forester? My refrigerator, filled with some expensive items bought for a party, failed yesterday. Given its 30 year age, I decided to replace it and wanted one immediately to avoid a financial loss. But nobady could deliver one for at least 2 days. I found a suitable one in stock at a shop about 12 miles away and set off in my Forester to buy it.

When I told them I wanted to take it with me, the store staff hesitated a bit but decided to humor me and brought it out. The 18.5 cubic footer fit ALL THE WAY IN with its bottom resting just inside the plastic lip on the bottom of the Forester's rear opening. I could not close the tailgate, but after securing everything with rope, I drove it home with no problems. Best use I ever made of my Forester and it saved me a lot of money.
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    I think this most recent tire discussion got all bollixed by confusing speed rating with load rating -- type of rubber compound and tire construction being significant variables.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    What, no pictures of the feat? ;-)

Amazing what a boxy shape can do, eh?

-Brian
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Awesome! I would have loved to see pics also.

I've fit an oversize clothes washer inside mine, still in the box, and even closed the hatch!

My biggest load ever was probably a double chest of drawers, oversized because it's 21" deep instead of the usual 17". It's pine, but solid wood throughout, drawers in place, also in a cardboard box.

That went on the roof rack, though. I think you hold the record for the cargo area.

-juice
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..operation seemed flawless today in the foothills near the dealership. Previously, I had noted both pro and con HH views. I was delighted when the salesman attributed this nifty device to Studebaker.....ez
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Ahhhh...Take me back to my childhood....My dad had a 54 Commander with Overdrive (free wheeling, no engine braking in Stude OD) and a Hill Holder. Also had it on his 57 Hawk. (He was a Big Studebaker Fan). My 78DL 5 Spd didn't have it, but my 82GL, 85GL, 90Legacy and 04Forester all do(02 Forester didn't). My 84 yr old dad reminds me where it came from.
    He also contends current hydraulic Power Steering and Vacuum assist Power brakes were Studebakers also. I've never looked into those beginnings. Must has something in our family for automobiles starting with an S......
    If he didn't have 6 of us to haul around in the early 60's, I could have seen him in an Avante instead of a Lark Wagon (with a retractable roof!) So GMC-Envoy is Not the first there either.
    The refrigerator story reminded me that he bought a used gas Borge-Warner refrig back in the early 60's and carried it upright in the back of that Lark with the roof opened.
    In my Foresters to date I've had (1 at a time) 2 washers, 1 dryer and a 40 gal water heater. Each time I could close the rear gate. So these (02 & 04 Foresters) have been my current Do It All vehicles.
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    There is a wonderful newspaper clipping at my hardware store - a photo shows a small sedan parked in Home Depot parking lot, with about 4 feet tall of plywood balanced on the roof, secured with twine, the stack is starting to lean toward the rear of the car, which is badly being driven into the ground, tops of rear tires are no longer visible as the body has sunk into them, front tires seem to barely be touching the ground. Apparently Home Depot helped the foolish owner load his car with 10 X 80lbs bags of dry cement (you can't see them as they are in the back seat) and a couple hundred pounds of plywood only after making him sign a waiver that they accepted no responsibility for the damage, which included: rear wheels were bent (how often do you hear that?), tires blew, shocks were driven up into the floor boards, that's all the damage I can remember... He planned to drive from Florida to N. Carolina to build a house... to smoke his crack in. He should have had a Forester. *tsk tsk tsk*
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Anyone that complains about it should have theirs adjusted. Mine was way too grabby at first. Sometimes I would have to rev up to 3-4k rpm's before it broke loose on a hill. Parallel parking was nearly impossible. I looked like a total nOOb!

The dealer adjusted it and now it's perfect!

Someone say Studebaker? Where's Ed? :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I always thought that was an urban legend with a photoshopped pic.

Guess not:

Lumber Car

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Steve,
    You are my hero! I didn't think this would be on the web and there you went and found it. How great are you!?
    Elissa
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I always thought that was a fake, how about that. Must be some wicked strong twine....

Craig
  • Options
    smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    I love my wife, but sometimes I cringe when she takes out the Forester.

She came home from work the other night and remarked that the "wheels were making some odd noises in the parking garage." She isn't auto-inclined (not that I am, either), and couldn't get more specific than that.

The next time I drove in the garage, I paid close attention and didn't notice anything abnormal, nor was anything wrong when I went out on the open road.

The next time we were in the car together, I asked her to demonstrate. It turns out she's steering as far as the wheel will go to get around certain curves in the garage (why, I don't know). When the steering is pinned on one direction or another, at slow speed or at a stop, a noise that I would describe as similar to a toy tommy gun comes from the front wheels.

Does anyone know what this is, and whether or not it bears looking at by the dealer?

Thanks.
  • Options
    mrpeppermrpepper Member Posts: 3
    It seems that you are probably hearing the noise from the power steering pump, although I tend to describe it as more of a "hum." You should never hold the steering wheel hard left or right for more than a few moments. This can cause the power steering pump to overheat. From the manual:

"Do not hold the steering wheel at the fully
    locked position left or right for more than five
    seconds. This may damage the power steering
    pump."
  • Options
    DonluceDonluce Member Posts: 41
    My wife and I plan to fly to the East Coast early next year, and purchase a XT, and drive it back to California. I have been watching the prices at Fitgerald Auto Malls in Maryland, and they seem to have a good selection, and prices appeat to be about $2000.00 below factory invoice.

Can anyone suggest other dealers I should check on the East Coast?

Thanks,

Don Luce
  • Options
    Don, Fitz sells the 05 models for invoice to a couple hundred under invoice. I paid invoice for my XT (Outback that is) there in July.

Van Bortel in NY also sells for very low prices, at or slightly below invoice. Honestly, though, by next year, you should be able to get invoice pricing at most dealers. It's kind of an unofficial secret that you can buy most Subarus for close to invoice at most dealers.

Actually, on my last few Subaru purchases before the XT, my local dealer was able to come within a couple hundred dollars of the FitzMall price. So shop around locally first, you can likely get just as good of a deal.

Of course, if this is actually part of an elaborate road trip, then maybe you do want to buy on the east coast! Be sure to factor in any potential issues with title, tags, taxes, etc. And of course, be aware of the break-in requirements. You should not be travelling at constant speed for the first 1000 miles, which means a long highway trip may not be advisable (if you can take some backroads and/or vary speed for the first 1000 miles, that is better).

Craig
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    If you live in California, make sure there are no emissions differences between CA sold vehicles and the ones sold in other states. I'm not sure if the Forester has different emissions when sold in California. You wouldn't want to fail inspection because of that.
  • Options
    GOTB - my first spark plug change was on my '01 Forester. I didn't even know whether the plug was in the boot or in the engine at that time! LOL After four hours of total fuddling around without a manual I did figure it out. I'm happy to help if you'd like some tips and tricks. Feel free to email me.
    Elissa
  • Options
    oweiroweir Member Posts: 1
    The 2005 Forester (XS Premium w/MT) and Outback (2.5i Ltd) have the same engine and yet the California version of the Outback is rated PZEV while the Forester is not. I understand Subaru does not offer a PZEV for the Forester (I'm guessing because California mandates a 150,000 warranty and that is $$$). Is it possible to modify the Forester to improve its emissions? What exactly is the technology modification (priced an additional $200 above non-PZEV's) to the Outbacks and could it be installed/tuned/programmed in the Forester? Thanks.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I imagine a lot of the ECU tuning is different, not sure about mechanical differences.

The PZEV engine does make a few less HP, 163 IIRC vs. 168 for the regular 2005 Outbacks.

The Forester still makes 165, all version, and has a completely different intake.

-juice
  • Options
    psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I have a 03 Forester x with 60,000 miles on it. I drive around 30,000 miles per year. I must say that the back of the front seat is very supportive but the bottom seat cushion is way to hard and the cloth is as rough as burlap. I noticed that the 05 Forester x not only has a softer cloth seat cover but the foam seat cushion itself is much softer and more comftable to sit in. I asked a local dealer if they could order a bottom seat cushion and cloth cover from a 05 and intall it in my 03 car. I was told they could not look up the parts without a vin # and even if they could it would cost over $500 dollars. I can not give them a vin # because my vin # would give me back my same seat and material. I assume a 05 seat bottom would fit in a 03 as they are both of the latest model design. I really would rather not have to always sit on a foam cushion. Can anyone give any suggestions on this? I really would appriciate it.
  • Options
    veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    If you think the 05 seats are softer than your 03 I really feel sorry for you. Perhaps the X seats are softer than the XS, but the seat bottoms in my 05 XS are harder than h--l! No noticeable softening in a bit over 4K miles of use.

And the moquette (whatever that is) upholstery is more than a bit too . . . texturey (is that a word?). I have seen the upholstery in an 02 and actually prefer it, both in texture and color, to my 05.
  • Options
    Hoping someone here has experience? Maybe you could add to the other discussion? Or maybe you want to know the answer yourself?
    Elissa

edunnett "Aftermarket Sun and Moon Roofs - pros and cons" Oct 7, 2004 7:23pm
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I'd love to add to that discussion, but the link you provided gives me a "The item ".ef389d2/0" does not exist, it may have been deleted"

-Brian
  • Options
    Yes, they DID delete it, only to move it here:
    edunnett "Moonroofs & Sunroofs: Which are better, factory or aftermarket?" Oct 7, 2004 7:23pm
    Thanks for asking,
    Elissa
  • Options
    What are the best tires to use on a XT Forester. I will be doing NO off roading, and will not be operating in snow or ice conditions, but will be driving in some wet road conditions part of the time, and plan to pull a heavy boat trailer in the future.

Thanks,

Don Luce
  • Options
    As I responded to your other post, please do a search on tires within forester discussions - you will find we have discussed this ad nauseum. Tirerack.com is great too for putting in what you want in a tire and it will tell you what tires meet those specs and fit your car. -elissa
  • Options
    pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    X SE over X adds the big Forester moonroof; leather wheel, shifter, parking brake; heated seats; bumper step, trunk mat and cargo cover. There may be other goodies, I have not seen a spec sheet. All this for cnd$1000 over the regular X. Do the math - it's a steal.

On another topic, are OEM Forester wheels compeletly interchangeable since -03 between X, XS and XT?

JP
  • Options
    Sorry - no "free" bumper step, but the X has the unpainted bumbers so no big deal.
  • Options
    emtemt Member Posts: 39
    For all you that know more than I do, can you put 15 inch rims on an 04 forester x? I was thinking of using 15 inch snow tires rather than buying 16 inch to save a few bucks. If so, where can I buy plain jane steel wheels that will fit? If not, where can I buy plain jane 16 inch steel wheels? Also, where is a good place to purchase a front bug shield?

Joe
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Nope, the wheels won't fit over the front brake calipers. Rears might work though.

Note, if you get 16"ers, they also need a specific wheel offset for everthing to bolt up. The Foresters are very tight on their engineering and clearances.

John
  • Options
    gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    My 2005 Subaru X had 100W four speakers setup and the audio system really sucked compared with what I had in my Nissan Sentra (300W Rockford Fosgate factory setup). I was thinking about just buying the $70 OEM tweeters kit but after searching newsgroups, I decided to go with front speaker upgrade. I bought a pair of new Alpine SPS-170A speakers for $45 from ebay. They have adjustable tweeters in the cones.

This was my first DIY speaker installation and I was kind of worried if the speakers would fit ok. They fit really good without drilling. The spacer has a clever design. Installation was easier than I thought. I had to cut the factory speaker wiring harass and soldier them (I didn't want to spend $13 for wiring harass from crutchfield.com) Door panel removal instruction is on http://www.subaruparts.com/guides/

The factory speakers were really cheap looking... paper cone etc. The sound quality with my new speakers is much much better. The mid and high improved a lot and the bass is more natural. I might replace the head unit later. For $45, it was the best money I spent in a long time! I know you can get more expensive speakers for better sound but I'm really satisfied with the result.

If you have 4 speakers setup and you think it sucks, consider upgrading the front speakers!
  • Options
    Does the Moonroof Air Deflector make a big difference on wind noise with Moonroof open?

Does the Moonroof Air Deflector make a big difference on wind noise with Moonroof closed?

Is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks,

Don Luce
  • Options
    conan5conan5 Member Posts: 3
    Is there any precautions when changing the fuel filter? Do I disconnect the electrical fuse to the pump before I remove it?

Thanks
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Been there done that and your right a major differace and well worth the cost.It was one of the first tinkerings that i did on my 04xs in March good luck and enjoy your SUBI.... Matt
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I recently changed the fuel filters on my 2001 Forester and on my wife's 2003 Outback. I didn't disconnect any wiring or fuses. I just used a spring clamp on each fuel line to prevent any fuel from coming out of the hoses while they were disconnected. I did have a little trouble getting the hoses off the inlet and outlet tubes, so I wrapped a piece of thin rubber around the hoses and twisted them free with pliers. The whole job took about 5 minutes. I hope this helps.

Len
  • Options
    zimmerzimmer Member Posts: 7
    Go to an auto upholstery shop and have them rebuild your existing cushion with an appropriate foam and recover using existing fabric from your old seat. Would probably cost less than 500.00.
  • Options
    subiekevsubiekev Member Posts: 2
    Greetings!

My finance has owned her 2000 Forester for six months now and within the last month her 'check engine' light has come on 3 times. The first time, the dealership said it was the spark plug wires, the 2nd time they said it was the spark plugs themselves that weren't changed at the same time of the wires. At the 2nd visit, she had new spark plugs added and a 60,000 mile tune up performed. One week later (yesterday) the check engine light came on for the 3rd time. This time, she noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust which goes away after the car has ran for a while. She is about to bring her Subie in for a third time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    SubieKev
  • Options
    The white smoke is probably normal, it is steam from the condensate that collects in the exhaust when the engine starts up cold. Once the engine warms up the condensate turns to steam and burns off.

Let me ask a dumb question -- is she tightening the gas cap all the way (three clicks) ? That is the most common cause of a CEL.

Are you going to a Subaru dealer? They can pull the code of the CEL and know exactly what is wrong instead of guessing. Actually, any dealer/shop can do this, but only Subaru dealers would know common fixes.

Craig
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Since they having difficulty isolating the problem I would hope that they're giving you a price break ;-)

-Frank
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I'd suggest it might be the coil pack.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Agreed. Any hesitation along with the CEL? Mine had both and it was the coil pack.

JP
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What code is the CEL throwing, head to auto-zone and get the code pulled for free.

-mike
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    nice mug shots in the new Subaru mag! Bob, what is that gizmo on your head, is that for off-roading? And two cheers for Patti, good write up and thanks again for your help!

I REALLY like the new hybrid push. That sounds like a great drive train.

Also, reading between the lines, they did mention Home Link coming to the Baja, so, maybe, they plan on it being hybridized sometime?

Stretch it out on the new OB platform and sales will climb.

Final thought, great news teaming up TireRack with the dealer, I was hoping I would be able to use Subaru Bucks to get my next set of tires.

John
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    John

That shot is from Las Vegas Raceway, where we were driving the new Legacy GT last May. Everyone had to wear helmets

Bob
  • Options
    They just came out with a Homelink compass mirror, which should work on any recent model Subaru that could take the previous compass/mirror.

Craig
  • Options
    ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    Just saw the new issue of Drive, and recognized your names, so I had to come in here and say hi. You looked different that what I expected. It's weird to see a face behind the screennames.
  • Options
    They are much better looking with screen names only!

That was too easy.... :-)

Craig
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yeah, that helmet I was born with. It makes swimming a bit difficult. :)

Bob
This discussion has been closed.