Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

As with most rust removers, the main constituent is phosphoric acid with a ph of 1. Definitely don't get it on yourself!

Quite effective at neutralising the rust though. You need to wire brush the area if there is scaling or loose material.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    Does the Subaru (re-badged Yakima) Ski Carriers include the "ski-lift" feature where you can raise one side of the carrier to accomodate bindings?

Trying to decide whether to go for Subaru vs. Yakima/Thule ski carriers...

thanks
  • Options
    damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Well, I said I'd do it this past weekend if it didn't rain. Rain was all we had...plus cold. Next weekend, sounds like.

It's right at the edge of the hood, near the wipers. I'll have to be very careful not to rinse it under the hood, sounds like.

-Dan-
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Around here dealer charge a fortune, $600-700, probably because labor in the DC market is so costly. But I seem to recall people paying below $400 in some cases.

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "the hottest deal on Subaru's cult, boxy SUV has always been in Japan, where the tricked-up STi version has been state of the art."

Subaru Forester Gets a Reshaped Alter Ego (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Subaru would have my $29,414 for that torque monster on the first day it was sold here.

Do a limited run, just 500 or so, to keep it exclusive.

-juice
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    subaru would ruin it again with not having tinted windows. they help make the look subaruuuuuuuuu
  • Options
    They could not offer it here - it's not a truck.

-juice
  • Options
    ivestorparkivestorpark Member Posts: 31
    Last time I had my oil changed, as I couldn't get the manufacturer's filter unscrewed or purchase a filter wrench that fit. I forget the size of socket to use to loosen the oil plug. Usually only 14 or 17mm are needed for about any repair or maintaince on Japanese cars (that is any repair that most of us can do). The size is not mentioned in the owner's manual (probably because they don't want to do anything to discourage you from taking it to the dealer to have your oil changed). What size socket is needed? I've owned Honda, Subaru, and Toyota and Toyota is by far the easiest to change your oil. Not even close. thx
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
  • Options
    IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

Anyone else?

At least the filter and drain plug aim down in the Subarus. That keeps the mess out of the engine bay.

Honda puts the oil filter on the exhaust header side of the block, spills/leaks have been known to cause dozens of fires on 2003 and 2004 Honda CR-Vs. There's a thread here on Edmunds discussing this.

-juice
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    It's definitely a 17 mm socket.

We had a 2000 Odyssey. You had to remove the right front tire to get at the oil filter and clean the spilled oil off the plastic shroud. I HATED changing oil on that car. (We traded in the Odyssey for an Outback.)

Len
  • Options
    lawkimlawkim Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to get a new Forester and am deciding between the 05 and 06 models. It seems like 2006 has some changes, but I'm not sure if they are worth paying the extra for. The 05 model currently has a $2,000 rebate and more aggressive pricing by dealers, whereas the 06 probably won't have either. What are people's thoughts on this? Which one would you buy?
  • Options
    Being on the leading edge, or getting a better value. That's basically what you will choose between.

I'm a value guy, but I'm also patient, so I might be likely to wait until the incentives appear on the 06s. That could take months, though.

Miata is also a bear to change the oil - the filter is on the side of the block. It's a mess every time.

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Subaru is delaying its first gasoline-electric hybrid car, originally due next year, reportedly because it is considering buying hybrid systems directly from Toyota."

Subaru May Switch to Toyota Hybrid System (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    The salesman at my dealership, whose opinion I value a lot, recommended that if I want to stick with the Forester I should wait for 08's. On the other hand, they're going to be offering some killer 2 year lease deals on the Tribeca. If I could only get past its nose....... :)

Larry
  • Options
    rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    Is there something miraculous happening to the 08 model? Bob L.
  • Options
    Couldn't pry it out of him. But he did succeed in making me curious. Maybe he's just toying with me, but he know's I'm overall very happy with my 04 XT. Well, the 08's will be out just about the time my 04's paid for.......
  • Options
    rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    Might be that Subaru will have hybrid models by then. Bob L.
  • Options
    I foresee a problem mating this system to some Subies.

HSD works only on the cars that are FWD based. Even the AWD RX400H is mechanically a FWD vehicle with a seperate electric motor for the rear axle added on.

So Toyota has not engineered the front electric motor to power the rear wheels.

Subarus are kind of the opposite - they do not have a gas engine that does not power the rear axle.

The viscous coupling won't mate up - the front axle would start on electric power, and the VC would bind up and move the rear axle. That's not a desired effect.

It'll be interesting to see if they can engineer HSD with a manual tranny and VC, I doubt they will.

So my crystal ball says - we will only see hybrid Subarus in automatic form. The auto AWD is at least capable of disengaging the rear axle (by inserting that fuse).

-juice
  • Options
    ivestorparkivestorpark Member Posts: 31
    1) Is there any product which can successfully remove the white wax powder residue from the black plastic door handles? I've tried paint thinner, acetate, and lighter fluid all without success. Best is probably to tape the handles as you would accessories when painting the house, but it's too late for that. It's rather minor, but still annoying for a car buff.

2) Is there any product which will clean the w/s wiper blades? I wash the car weekly and wipe away the black residue buildup on the wipers every time. It takes 5-6 wipes of my towel to get the wipers nearly clean. Doesn't seem to be such a problem on the rear window.

3) Also I heard several years ago how to get your windshield absolutely clean. As I recall an auto repair show host mentioned it on his radio show. I can't remember its name, but it was an auto liquid whose chief purpose wasn't cleaning windows. It cut through all the film on the window that sometimes even windex doesn't remove, but it left a slight residue itself to deal with.

thx
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I've read in a lot of places that wax on black plastic can be easily removed with peanut butter. I'm not kidding. I'll bet it's the peanut oil that unseats the wax and its thick consistency that gathers up the wax particles. When I wax our '04 for the first time, I'll probably use blue painter's tape to cover the edge of the black plastic.

Asa
  • Options
    fbkordfbkord Member Posts: 17
    I've had the same problem with my 2002 Forester. The problem is from a leak in the transmission. Subaru is aware of the problem. They replaced the transmission on my car with only 15000 miles on it.
    Have it checked and good luck.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Other products like Klasse All-In-One won't stain plastic. In fact, you can use it on glass and plastic to protect them as well.

-Brian
  • Options
    Same type of noise that led to getting my transmission in the 03 Outback Wagon replaced.
  • Options
    Just make sure you use Creamy, not Crunchy! :D

-juice
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Wise guy!

Asa
  • Options
    toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    I have recently developed a whistling noise that occurs occasionally when I hit about 60mph. I can rev the engine in neutral without hearing it. My '01 L has about 107K. Since it's not really a whine, I don't suspect transmission. I haven't replaced the belts yet :(.

Also, my son in law is moving to Ft. Collins and asks the perennial question:Outback or Forester? Any thought? Dealer recommendations?
  • Options
    tribecatribeca Member Posts: 3
    You might want to get heat shields checked...
  • Options
    Forester. We own both and we prefer the Forester. Even my wife, who owns the Legacy, prefers my Forester, even though hers is 4 years newer.

Hard to explain, but the Forester is just more fun. It's lighter, spunkier, I dunno. Legacy is a lot nicer inside and more refined, but for me fun wins out every time.

-juice
  • Options
    toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for that, Juice--over the couple years that I've read your posts, I've found your sense of fun to be contagious. I notice the same thing, having owned both, and can't quite describe it.

Since my daughter has totalled a couple of cars in her early driving career, maybe the stodgier OB would be the ticket.

Thanks also for the other comment about the heat shields, but what makes them whistle at a certain speed? Of course, yesterday I couldn't get the bird to sing no matter how fast I went.
  • Options
    Nah, get a beater hi-mile Forester. Even back in '98 they earned good crash test scores, so it's safe and not that valuable if she wrecks again. :sick:

Spend the money on driver training instead. Bob Bondurant can help her. :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Yesterday I test drove an 03 Forester with my 1,900 pound bass boat in tow -- very impressed! I tow about 500-1000 miles per year.I am very close to purchasing. I see that the manual is actually rated with a slightly higher tow capacity. I have always had the impression that automatic were better for towing than manuals due to clutch issues. :confuse: Any thoughts on that subject?

I have 3 choices:
    An 03 XS manual 22K miles (with tow package, armrest extension, rear bumper step guard) for $17,999. It appears to be like new. Is that a good prive? Need to make a decison soon or this one could get away! :cry:

Could also get a new 05 (similarly equipped but with out tow package, armrest & bumper guard but w sunroof) for ~ $22,400 (after $1,5K rebate). I don't mind buying used as I only drive 10-12K per year and the $5000 savings (after sales tax added) seems worthwhile to me.

However the last option of an 06 with supposedly mildly improved engine output (taking non-turbo) and improved suspension have me 2nd guessing :confuse: . I can afford to pay more, but prefer to save the money unless there are real, noticable improvements. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any 06 test drives to learn if the engine and suspension differences really noticable, nor can I find the EPA figures. Can you point me anywhere for such information?
  • Options
    173hp instead of 165, but the gains are on the high end of the rpm range, so it won't help with low end grunt to get a trailer moving. But it will help maintain a speed going up a hill with that thing.

That's a fairly heavy boat, I might wait for the 06.

The prices you've been quoted seem a little high, at least for the MD/DC area. You can almost buy a new one for the price of that '03 you were quoted. Check fitzmall.com for reference.

-juice
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..juice has a real point...

....a brand new '05 Forester X was advertised in the 5/21 Sacramento (CA) Bee: $18488 after $1500 rebate".... :D ez
  • Options
    ejjejj Member Posts: 36
    Holy Cow--is that the total weight with engine, gear, and trailer? I haven't dreamt of doing this with my boat. But I'd love too. I'd be scared of getting it out of the water. This is the major issue with clutches--they get burned out on boat retrievals. What is the tow rating on the 50-06 Forester?
  • Options
    I believe. Bob will confirm.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Confirmed.

Bob
  • Options
    ejjejj Member Posts: 36
    I've always heard you should stay well below the towing limits with boats, as the haul-out is pretty rough on the whole rig. Anyone else heard this?
  • Options
    The lawyers already do that for you.

In the UK the Forester was rated for 3960 lbs even back in 1998 with a 2.0l engine pulling it.

SoA is already very conservative, so 2400 lbs with a whole bunch more power and better brakes should be fine for a new one.

-juice
  • Options
    That weight is total including gear, full gas tank...& often 3-4 people in vehicle and lots of camping gear. Pretty amazing, huh!

I have towed this boat with a variety of what some might consider "incapable" vehicles include a 88 Grand Caravan FWD w 3.0L engine, a 94 Ply Colt AWD with 2.4L engine, a 97 Caravan FWD w 3.3 engine (all previous vehicles have been Auto tranny), and last week a 03 Forester W 2.5L non turbo engine. Never have had a problem pulling boat out of water witjh any of them -- was nervous at 1st w FWD vans, but the all have just walked up the ram with occasional wheelspin if ramp was wet. One the highway they do fine pulling at 70 mph, but need to downshift for even minor inclines. When pulling over the Cascade passes, they have often been in 2nd gear at ~ 4,500 rpms to keep speed at 55 -60 mph for a mile or two, but they make it just fine. My Colt did need its AT replaced at 70K - how much of that was due to the boat is anyone's guess.

Perhaps the biggest weakness in using a smaller rig to tow is that you are not going to do 0-60 quickly & you need to be mindful of stopping distances. But other than that, I have reconized no problems towing with any of the above. I pulled with the the Forester about 15 miles , including two moderate grades. It did not struggle at all - I would say did better than any of the others.

The manual on the Subie worries me a bit, but with all wheel drive, I think it would be fine.
  • Options
    I stumbled onto this information; it seems pretty offical. The question remains, WHEN will they arrive at dealers???

New 06 Forester Model Changes May 16, 2005
    Subaru Plaza; P.O. Box 6000; Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000; 856-488-8500
    Dear Subaru Retailer Subaru of America is pleased to announce the pricing of the redesigned 2006 Model
    Forester line-up.
    The 2006 Forester comes with additional horsepower, improved driving performance,
    enhanced fuel economy, and new design cues that will keep it at the head of its class. The lineup
    has been simplified to just two trim series, the 2.5X and the 2.5XT. The 2.5X model has an
    MSRP of $21,795 for the manual transmission model. The new Forester 2.5X features a 2.5-
    liter engine with i-Active Valve Lift System (variable valve lift) which increases total horsepower
    to 173, and maximum torque output to 166 lb-ft at 4400 RPMs. Also, the 2.5-liter turbo engine
    horsepower will increase from 210 to 230. Forester will have the most powerful 4-cylinder
    engine in its class! To complement the additional horsepower and low to mid-range torque,
    driving performance is further enhanced with improvements to the suspension, braking and
    transmission.
    New design elements to the front fascia, rear garnish, and side cladding give the 2006 a
    distinctive new look. All models have new fenders, bumpers, front grille, headlights, fog lights,
    and hood and rear combination lights. The 2.5X models now have body colored side cladding
    and bumpers. To help protect this attractive vehicle, a security system is now standard
    equipment on all Forester models. Overall utility is also improved with a new standard
    multifunctional center console that features a comfortable front seat sliding armrest, and new
    rear cargo utility bars (2) and hooks (4). The center console can also be flipped 180 degrees to
    provide additional cupholders and a small tray. Also, a new rear seat armrest and an extended
    rear seat cushion enhance the passenger ride comfort.
    The new 2.5X Premium Package is designed for customers who prefer upgraded features with
    cloth upholstery at a value-driven price. The Premium Package has the following items:
    • Power Moonroof
    • Alloy Wheels
    • All Weather Package (Dual-stage heated seats, windshield wiper de-icer, &
    heated side-view mirrors)
    • 8-way Power Driver’s Seat
    • Limited Slip Rear Differential
    • 6-Disc CD Changer
    • Automatic Climate Control
    • 4-Upgraded Speakers
    • Larger Side-View Mirrors with Turn Signals
    • Leather Steering Wheel/ Shift Knob/ Parking Brake Handle
    • Electronic Brake Force Distribution
    • Body Color Door Handles
    2006 Forester - Page 2
    The retail value of the Premium Package is $3,350. To help you move customers up to the
    2.5X Premium Package model, we will offer a $1,000 discount, which will be shown on the
    Monroney label. The discounted price of the Premium Package is only $2,350.
    The L.L.Bean Edition with 4-speed electronic direct control automatic transmission has an MSRP of $26,895.
    Finally, the 2.5XT base model was eliminated. The 2.5XT Limited, now with 230HP, includes
    sport-design luminescent needles with metallic needle caps and an engine cover. Desert beige
    leather upholstery will now be available for certain exterior colors. The 2.5XT Limited MSRP
    starts at $27,895 for manual transmission.
    The 2006 Subaru Forester pricing will be posted on Subarunet.com in vehicle pricing
    information, under the vehicles tab. Destination and delivery charges for 2006 Forester models
    is $595 (Alaska is $745). Price lists for the port installed accessories and port packages are
    also posted to the Subarunet.com.
    We are excited about the significant enhancements made to the 2006 Forester line-up and
    are confident the new Premium Package discount will provide your customers with an even
    greater value on the best compact SUV on the market.
    Good Selling!
    Fred D. Adcock
    Executive Vice President
  • Options
    I pulled with the the Forester about 15 miles , including two moderate grades. It did not struggle at all - I would say did better than any of the others.

Solid. :) Good to hear another good tow experience like mine.

2006s - give it about a month.

-juice
  • Options
    casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Had my red 2003 Forester XS premium about two years now and love it. A fun car to drive.

Did have a surprising problem develop recently: I had a crack or split develop in the vinyl trim on the driver's seat, on the left side of the seat bottom. I had a guy come out to repair it; he says he has seen this kind of thing happening more often on newer vinyl.

Repair came out OK -- color doesn't quite match, texture is a little different, but it's better than cracked vinyl.

Anyone else seen this on a newer Forester? Is this common on vinyl-trimmed seats? Or just another sign I need to lose 20 pounds?
  • Options
    Shouldn't that be covered under 3/36? Or are you past there?
    Larry
  • Options
    It's still well within warranty, but I figured it fell under wear and tear. I called the dealer, and they said they don't do seat repair but referred me to the repair guy I used. I didn't play the warranty card, though.
  • Options
    Well, I just called the dealer and explained the situation. The service rep said that seat leather is generally a 3/36 covered item, however he said they'd have to take a look at it first.

Then I told him I'd already had it repaired, and he said in that case there wasn't anything he could do.

Ah well. Live and learn. :(
  • Options
    I hope you saved the receipt. See if they will reimburse you.

The dealer referred you, they were the ones that should have offered to fix it for free.

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks juice: I did call today, and here's what they told me:

-- The dealer should have asked me to bring the car in so they could evaluate the problem firsthand, i.e. determine whether the problem was due to a failure of the seat material (covered) or customer misuse (not covered).

-- They can't evaluate it now that it has been independently repaired.

-- They will reimburse me for what I paid for the repair (only $32, but 32 bucks is 32 bucks)
This discussion has been closed.