Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I sure would like some, but with the info from mckowen they are going to be over $200 by the time the get shipped to the prospective buyers. YIKES :P

Juice, Bob etc; are any of you on good enough terms with some of the wholesale parts dealers such as subaruwrxparts.com or allsubaru.com or 1stsubaruparts.com that they could be cajouled into looking into importing a batch directly from Subaru which could be sold for a lower price than those from the UK. Surely they could sell 20+ of these if the word got out on all the subaru owner sites.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the air filtration kit. Do any filters fit besides Subaru OEM?

Next question: This morning, for the 1st time, I experienced difficulty engaging the clutch smoothly. Even with lots of gas & very gradual release it "chattered" for the 1st 3-4 times from a dead stop. Also the engagement seemed a little rough in shifting from 1-2 & 2-3. After 5 minutes of driving, it engaged smoothly from a stop & in gear transitions.

Does that seem normal or suggest a problem?
  • Options
    luk631luk631 Member Posts: 1
    My noise in my 2005 Forester is not only mysterious, it is maddening. Started a couple days after I drove it off the lot in Aug 2004 and varies in intensity and location depending on the weather. Persistent in the right rear though. Had major squeking on left of moonroof fixed in Sept., sounded like styrofoam squeaking. Now have that kind of sound in the dash. Vibration along the rail of the moonroof, as well as the rattles that are occurring in the right rear. Sometimes sounds like the whole roof and sides are flexing. Been going round and round with the dealer, they had it more than I did for a while. Contacted SOA and have case # now, and they are going to replace the moonroof soon. Although I would be thrilled, I frankly don't expect that to solve the numerous noises. Oh, and it is ten times worse with less weight in the car, so when I drive by myself it makes me nuts. When a technician gets in with me, it is so much quieter. I am so frustrated to have spent my savings on new car and it has already been ripped apart several times and now again. Put many miles on driving back and forth to dealer. I think in extreme situations such as this, the manufacturer should be responsible to replace the vehicle when it has problems within the first week... let them take it back, fix it and resell it then. I love everything else about this car, but the noise is ridiculous, and I have been unable to enjoy it since I got it Aug. 04. Do you have a moonroof tomb2?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sorry, I forgot my helmet! :o)

The only wholesaler I knew well was Darlene from QSubaru, but they closed up. Boy I miss her. She was awesome. Wholesale price plus free shipping, remember that? $4 for an oil filter at your doorstep. $4 for touch-up paint. That Subaru logo hat was also $4.

I have $300 in Subaru bucks right now and from her that probably could have bought me the whole catalog!

Clutch chatter - give it some good revs and let the clutch slip a little just once. That'll clear off the tiny bit of surface rust that develops on the surface and should smooth it out.

If it's chronic Subaru had a TSB and they'll likely replace it if the miles aren't too high.

Noise: nothing a few decibels won't fix. Just make sure you're not listening to Sesame Street, side effects include head aches and nausea. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    What runway is that Subie on approach to??? LOL
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 19
    Spent sat morn with my 04 XS. Changed oil and filter and put on Fumoto oil drain valve. I didnt like where the exit hole ended up. Think Fumoto would send a extra gasket so it ends up where id like it? Also changed trans fluid. Got almost 4 quarts out of it. 9.8 cap. Looked for the gas filter under the car but not there. subaru found a better place for it. In the engine compartment. Cool. Also cleaned my K&N air filter. I also bought spark plugs that ill change next oil change. Looks like it might be easier to change one of the plugs if I remove the windshield washer reservoir. Also looked in manual for the spark gap but couldnt find the correct gap. Any help there. Rotated tires and torqued wheel nuts to 70lbs. Here in Pa they pull a front tire and rear tire to check bakes and put nuts on so tight you need a breaker bar to break em loose. I think some break problems can be avoided by torqueing nuts to proper spec. Did all at 20k miles do to the way I drive and the dusty roads here in upstate Pa. All in all it was a easy morning. Pert
  • Options
    bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    I have proposed a "group buy" from one such dealer. I had to order some parts so I asked the question. They told me they are discussing it. Stay tuned.

FYI - subaruwrxparts.com is Exeter Subaru, and I already tried them, as did vtdog. The last time we tried this we asked jamie from allsubaru.com, but she never followed up.

Frank
  • Options
    WOW, AM I GLAD I ASKED. THANKS JUICE!

My 36 month warranty expired on June 8th. Since I just bought the car & it has only 23,000 miles, I sure ain't gonna try burnishing the rust off -- I'll be asking for the new clutch. Guess who I will be calling in the morning!
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Pert, Plug gap on non-turbo is 1.0-1.1mm (0.039 to 0.043 in). I also have a Fumoto valve, had one also on my 02 Forester (currently have an 04). After draining the oil and fitting it, I went to a local hardware store for 2 washers to add to the valve to allow it to tighten with the lever upward.

Also, If anyone can get the visors ar a better price, please keep me in mind, I don't have to have them, but I have had them on other vehicles.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    For the '03's and later, you do not need to do any cutting. I've seen several people buy their own filter material and cut it to fit. I believe for the same price as OEM you can get about 3 or 4 DIY filters.

Yes, call up fumoto and they will probably send you a few. I use 3 blue fumoto filters on my FXT and OB. I've been running them for two years now with no problems. Overtorque lug nuts could lead to rotor problems down the road. Did a dealer do that?

Check www.cc-b.com for a group buy on Euro parts.

-Dennis
  • Options
    rdbandkabrdbandkab Member Posts: 17
    Thanks ateixeira, but that one won't help!!

:P
  • Options
    Anyone know if Subaru's still offering incentives on the Forester? Trying to pick up an 05 ES.....

thanks,

Rich
  • Options
    On 01 and 02 there is no cutting involved either.

Thanks for the lead on the visors. I bookmarked them when you mentioned it a few pages back. I had already started something so I figured I would see how it plays out first.

Frank
  • Options
    2 gaskets means more seals that could potentially leak. I'm not sure I'd want that.

Mine worked out well, it aims down and the lever is up and out of the way. See if you can reinstall it 1/2 turn differently?

Wow, my head hurts from reading that huge paragraph, any chance we can get you to use some paragraphs? Please? :o)

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    canadianforestcanadianforest Member Posts: 4
    1. Mike in Canada here. Sorry, Frank, not sure I can help with the "side window vents" (they call them wind deflectors up here). I just called my dealer (Ottawa, Ontario) who gave me the "Subaru doesn't make em so we dont sell em" line. VTdog -- which Subaru dealer in Toronto offered them? I'm very interested in them: it rained for the first time since I got the 05 XS and of course I was reminded of how much I hated how my 98 Forester dropped buckets of rain into my lap during or after every rainfall.

2. Speaking of rain ... when using the wipers for the first time on my 05, there was *alot* of squeaking noise on the windshield drivers side. I thought maybe it was due to some sort of film or smudge or something but I've washed the car a few times (before using the blades) and wiping down and inspecting revealed nothing and changed nothing. I'll ask the dealer when I see them tomorrow.

3. Speaking of noises ... I'm asking them to put on the hood deflector (discussed elsewhere in this forum) but wondered if anyone with one notices a marked increased in road noise (on the highway of course)?

4. And Frank, et al, thanks for the info on the alarm system. Yes, I'll get the add-on from the dealer, which does include an engine immobilizer and doesn't do any re-wiring (unlike the others).

BTW, all -- I leave in a few days for a long road trip "down East" -- through the Canadian atlantic provinces, all the way across the long ferry to Newfoundland and back. Breaking in the Forester will add up to 2000 miles, I'm sure. I'll let you know if anything comes up re: the vehicle. Plus -- I'll add a nice pic of the car next to a humpback whale if I see one in the Gulf of St Lawrence. Jealous?

Mike in Canada
  • Options
    tomb2tomb2 Member Posts: 3
    With a little help from me, the dealer finally diagnosed the cause of the creak. It
    came from the right rear wheel-well area where two of the metal pieces that make up the framework were rubbing together. A couple of spot welds was all that was needed to cure the noise problem. Diagnosing the source of the noise was the problem, and they ended up taking off the rear bumper to better get at the source of the noise. I think I was able to make the creak by taking out the right mini-compartment that makes up the rear flooring area and then pushing with the palm of my hand on the bottom floor. Pushing the bumper up and down did not make the noise. I have been driving the car for five days now and it has been creak-free.

I have to give the dealership credit too. The service manager there was quite cooperative, and was involved in testing the car himself, something that shows a higher level of customer service than many dealers seem to provide these days.

BTW, I do not have a moonroof.

Hope this helps,
    Tom
  • Options
    vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    Weathertech mats makes side vents, but NOT for forester. They have a website where you can request that they make them (www.mats.com). If enough people make the request maybe they will manufacture it (for less than the $ 2-300 for imports)
  • Options
    Thans VT; I put in my request (under customer/ catolog request).
  • Options
    Can't hurt. I will make a request. Good idea.

Frank
  • Options
    Thanks mckeown for the plug specs. Did you put the extra washers on the pan side or the valve side. Any leaks?
  • Options
    Hey Dennis. Here in pa we take our cars to local shop for state inspection and they put nuts on with a air rachet. Its rough on the road when trying to change a flat. Ive learned to ck em when i get it back.
  • Options
    Ok juice. English and computers were not my strong point in school. Matter of fact we didnt have comp let alone calulators.
  • Options
    If I add my name to the list they'll know we are ballot stuffing. Plus I probably would not buy it.

Thanks pert. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I did that road trip in reverse a few years ago; you'll have a lot of great photo ops as background for your new XS. Enjoy!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I put the extra washers on the Valve side so the Fumoto supplied washer would do its sealing to the pan. Also used some non-adhesive gasket sealer on the washers I added, (Red Loctite goo)
    I know about Pa inspections also....We were pulling diagonal wheels 27 yrs ago when I moved out of Pa....grew up near Scranton. Worked in a service station that also did inspections all thru middle and high school. And YUP.....we used the Air Rachet to put lug nuts on back then ....used to set it to 100 ft lbs.
    Today I would be ALL OVER anyone for doing that after living thru a few warped rotore.
  • Options
    vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I was one of the "3" If others can do it (in Canada & England) then why can't a US company ? (this fits in with george bush's "out sourcing" plans i guess)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Subaru Hikes Prices on '06 Forester (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    spgrspgr Member Posts: 23
    I will most likely need to leave my 05 forester at the airport parking lot or in a garage for a month. Do I need to disconnect the battery? Would this negatively affect anything else?
  • Options
    You'd reset the ECU. When you get back have your key fob ready to lock/unlock or reset the alarm. Gas mileage will be lousy for that one tank.

That's about it, though.

-juice
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    And inflate your tires to max pressure.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I'm the proud owner of an 05 silver Forester XS.......... :D

rich
  • Options
    Congrats!

What tranny? Options? Plans for accessories?

Welcome to the club! Subaru Crew has a Members thread plus we chat every Thursday night, come tell us about your new wheels!

-juice
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..X...All Aspen White (gray cladding truly is gone!)..sitting in the back lot of a foothills area Subaru dealer........new tail-lites tack city IMHO....(but rear armrest looks good).

MSRP $21,795 by sticker. Dealer indicates rebates to cease for awhile. I demurred on a test drive (it was an automatic).......all the best, ez. :P
  • Options
    I realize people tend to love/hate these but the RX and MDX got them so I'm not surprised Subaru is trying them out. The people that don't like 'em probably already own 04s or 05s anyway. LOL

-juice
  • Options
    cgrocho47cgrocho47 Member Posts: 12
    My local dealer in Van Nuys, CA called me to tell me they just received 10 Foresters. Can't wait to check them out... -Chuck
  • Options
    5 speed, cargo nets, subwoofer, and some more stuff I can't remember at this moment! I'll be adding some towing accessories.......
  • Options
    Congrats on your new ride. If you need a tow hitch installed I strongly suggest you check out U-Haul. They not only install more hitches than anyone else, but their prices are usually significantly low & the warranty it for life.

No I am not affiliated with U-Haul, but have had two hitches installed by them. Even the local Subie dealer recommends them
  • Options
    Thanks to this forum, I was able talk intellegently to my Subie dealer and got the clutch replaced despite being a week out of the 36 month warranty. I hope that is the extent of problems with my new used car for the next 75,000 miles

:D T hank you Lord, Subaru Crew, & SOA. :D
  • Options
    Thanks for the U-Haul info.. I'll compare them to HiddenHitch..(they're pretty inexpensive and easy to install).
  • Options
    growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Probably not. I have a convertible that's in the garage all winter, and is driven once a month. I've had no issues with the battery, although the thumpity-thump of flat-spotted tires does take a mile to two to disappear.

I've also taken a few 3-week vacations in the past few years, left two cars (including a hybrid - Toyota Prius) at home and one at the airport garage. Again, no issues with any of them. This summer I'll leave my '05 Forester at the airport for 22 days (first time for this car), am not gonna worry about the battery.

If it would make you feel better, take a set of jumper cables. If the battery dies, the airport parking lot will probably help ya out. You may want to call ahead of time to see if they will do it gratis.

Enjoy yer trip ! :D
  • Options
    growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Congratulations - you'll enjoy it.

(Hmmm - where d'ya live? Handy to know in case I need spare parts pre-painted to match the clone sitting in my driveway...) ;)
  • Options
    I have the OE hitch and bike rack. It was about $200 IIRC but it did include a plug-n-play harness that fit perfectly. I also have the OE bike rack, it's nice because it tilts out of the way so you can open the hatch even with bikes loaded.

5 speed, too, like mind. Congrats.

204meca: cool, glad they took good care of you. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    Can someone direct me to the pcv on this vehicle. When should it be changed?

Guy on Ebay is selling cd service repair manual for my year for $19.95 Item # 7980170524 ?????

Short and to the point huh juice. lol Hey keepup the good work on Subies fortunes.
  • Options
    Careful, one of the Crew members bought one of those on E-bay and it was a blatant copy, i.e. fake.

-juice
  • Options
    04 PCV valve is right behind the ignitor (spark plug coil), screwed into the Intake with about a 3/8 hose attached.
  • Options
    dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    Go to subaru.com they now have the 2006 forester on their site :)
  • Options
    mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2001 Forester S equipped with H rated 215/60 16 tires. I was thinking about getting some T rated tires to save a few $$ and maybe get a softer ride.
    Has anyone actually changed to T's and see a difference either pos or neg.
    This is my wifes car and no spirited driving is done.
    Please advise.
  • Options
    Some dealers are getting these in now, go check 'em out, they're nice. :-)

I responded in another thread, but lesser tires are probably not a good idea. You have to consider load rating, heat resistance, etc. Not just 130mph speed ratings.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.