Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• newsoobienewsoobie Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,
    Picked up our son's new 5-speed Blue Ridge Pearl L with CD today and we love it! (Total cost with out taxes $19,106). It came in a week ago--an order time of 4 1/2 weeks. We may have to "car nap" it! (We have it until the end of finals on Dec. 15 when our son will be home from college). It was a 6 1/2 hr. dive round trip, but well worth it to Cincinnati for such a good deal on a great car. It's everything you all have said about it! Will have our son post a picture of it.

John Earls, our salesman, made it so easy for us from start to finish. He really knows his stuff (loves his product) and was very professional, helpful, and knowledgeable in all aspects of our dealings with him. Am ordering a ski attachment from Darlene tomorrow. Definitely see what you mean about the arm rest extension--it would make things more comfortable--but we'll leave it up to the son. Thanks again for a very helpful board!
    Anne
  • npc1npc1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm thinking about getting a new Subaru, test driven one, loved everything but the leg room in driver's seat. I'm 6' 4'' and I feel I have less leg room in the Forester than in my 92 Civic coupe. I've read past messages - and someone asked a question I am most interested in (and got no answer at that point): anyone knows if it is possible to have the seat tracks moved back for the driver's seat? Anyone tried it yet?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Beverly: that sounds a bit high for an L, is that an auto? Aim for invoice to 1% over or so. Sorry I'm not familiar with dealer in the area to offer a specific recommendation, but you could try the topics under Owners Clubs, then the Subaru Crew topics.

Anne: now THAT's a steal! I don't think I've ever heard a lower price for a Forester L. Nice color, too. Congrats.

Nick: I have not heard of anyone actually doing this, just some talk about it. But I'd challenge your dealer - tell him he has to figure that out if he wants to sell you a car.

Good luck to you and to Beverly with your shopping.

-juice
  • pagemillroadpagemillroad Member Posts: 11
    Hi npcl

I had the same impression you did since
    I also had a Civic prior to my Forester.
    It does seem like the Civic has more legroom
    (but a lot less headroom) than the Forester.

Found that adjusting the seatback to a partly reclined position (maybe half reclined) helped a lot, in addition to adjusting the bottom angle
    to a more forward angle. It seems possible however to adjust the seat track but it would probably be pretty costly...
    Good luck
    I should have mentioned the seat bottom adjustments. Make sure you try both front and rear; you can angle the seat bottom however you like.

I tend to keep the front of the cushion at the highest position for thigh support, and that also bends my knees a bit so my legs are not stretched out as long. This may work for you.

-juice
  • zl635zl635 Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my 01 S+ (Silverthorn Metallic) a week or so ago, thanks to all of the info on this board and around the Edmunds site. I've been having fun in it since. Carlsen treated me well.(For those on the SF Bay Peninsula, Alpine off of Skyline is an entertaining drive.)

Has anyone solved that driver side seat belt rattle? I've noticed a few posts about it, and I've tried the belt in every position with no luck. I was hoping someone knows something before I go rip it open myself and see what I break in the process...

-JC
  • bakinactionbakinaction Member Posts: 5
    Juice - Yep - that's for an auto. I thought it sounded a but high also. I have put out a request to autobytel and will see what they come up with. Thanks for all the insight on this site.

Beverly
    Good idea. Try as many sources as you can.

Here's an on-line no-haggle dealer:

www.fitzmall.com

Even though they're on the wrong coast for you, at least you have a reference point for comparison of real-world prices.

You could even bluff and tell a dealer you're considering driving cross-country and buying one here in DC! :o)

-juice
  • emiller1emiller1 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of trading my 98 RAV4 for a Forester S. I have seen the blue ridge w/ titanium but haven't seen white w/ titanium.

I am also torn between the 5-speed and the automatic.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ed
  • rslnp1rslnp1 Member Posts: 29
    This morning I ordered an armrest extension from Qsubaru for my wife's Silver 2001 P+ that after one month has 600 miles. I spoke to Darlene, who is still recooperating, and she was very helpful. Does anybody have any experience with this accessory? I understand that at least it increases storage space.
    Juice; We are lucky to be in the DC area where there are at least 2 dealers that sell at $100 above invoice. Both Fitzgerald and Tischer offer this price but Tischer will include a loaner car for warranty service without extra charge. To get a loaner car at Fitzgerald you have to pay $300 over invoice. Both dealerships are courteous and professional.
  • tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    Richard:
    I too ordered and installed the armrest extension from QSubaru. Really easy to install. Gives you taller storage. I hold a CD pack in there now. Also, works well as a rest as it is the same height as the door rest.

John:
    My rattle has seemed to disappear when the weather turned much colder. Just happened to notice this past week that - "hey, the rattle is gone". I now have this occasional weird "buzz" in the dash when accelerating. It's one of those resonance type deals occuring at a narrow (around 2000) rpm range. These minor interior noises mean nothing to me, I would be more concerned about suspension/body creaks - indicating a flaw. I have none of those.

Ed:
    I have an L auto. Although I like the auto, my choice was based on my commute (read mucho traffic). If you fare better, go with the stick and make use of all that torque. There are some advantages to the auto - like a more sophisticated AWD system, but it is also more complex and potentially costly down the road. If I had the money (or one of my averaged down tech stocks take off) I'd buy another in 5-speed for the weekends...whoohoo.

Juice:
    Drove the Forester in !!!SNOW!!! for the first time today. Was hoping for more, but we only got a few inches and the sanding/salting trucks were out in force. Anyhow, I found some lightly treated backroads - Result; It lives up to all of my expectations with barely no slippage on acceleration and any sliding on turns can be corrected with the throttle - very nice.

-Tony
  • e_l_greene_l_green Member Posts: 30
    Be aware that the armrest extension does away with the "big" cupholder that's currently in the middle of that console. That's the only cupholder in my Forester that'll hold a Biggie Root Beer from Wendy's :-}. (Okay, okay, so I shouldn't be buying stuff like that, I know!).

I've seen the armrest extension on other people's Foresters, but I need the cupholder more -- the Forester already has plenty of other cubbyholes to stash things into (not to mention that glove compartment, which is *HUGE* compared to most glove compartments today!).

-E
  • horrockshorrocks Member Posts: 12
    My wife has complained of a rattle on the right side, possibly inside the passenger door. I have not heard it but have not driven it that much. It is a 2001 S+. Does anyone know the source of it?
    Mike
    Thanks everybody for the feedback. I think I decided to go with the Forrester S. I have a quote from a dealer in my area (Syracuse, NY) for 22,596 (w/out tax, reg, etc). The car doesn't have automatic, and it comes with:
    brush guard
    luggage compartment cover
    security upgrade
    rear cargo net
    rear window dust defl
    tailpipe cover
    woodgrain trim.

The dealer claimed this is 500 over invoice. Do you think this is a good deal? Thanks.
    forgot to mention - the price includes destination charge
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    Shortly after buying my 99 Forester S I noticed that when coming down a steep hill at about 50 mph the trans would downshift until the road became level again (and for about 1/8 of a mile beyond that.When I first asked my dealer's service dept they had no idea what I was talking about until they happened to find a bulletin. Duh! Apparently this is a typical safety? element for this transmission. A bit annoying, but it can be overridden by shifting into 3rd and then back into 4th (whence the transmission stays in 4th gear). Do the new ones have this curious characteristic and if so is there a better way of overriding it?
    (In most instances I'd rather put the wear on my brakes than on the engine.)
    I've read somewhere that Subaru modified the firmware (a car's computer software) to make downshift on grades less abrubt and likely to occur on newer models. I am unsure what years or models in which the new "grade logic" has been used.

Believe it or not, it's better to downshift and use the normal engine braking effect than to use the brakes when going down hills. Brakes overheat very quickly that can have some serious side effects: (1) brake fade causing braking to become less effective (2) warping of the rotors - which is actual damage to the rotors.

A subaru representative normally looks into these forums. Her name is Patti (Subaru_Team). If you don't get a response from her here, try posting in the Owner's Club "Subaru Crew - General Maintenance and Repair II" here on Edmunds as she tends to be more active there. She may be able to track this down and possibly help your dealer get you the upgrade, if one is available.

Hope this helps,

-TonyL
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    npc1- You can get the pricing from Edmund's and run the numbers yourself, but at a glance, the $500 dealer profit looks about right. In which case I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal. A few owners have bought for less but there are variables such as dealer inventory (read: motivation), regional demand, etc, that must be factored in.

-Frank P.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    logtrail- Tony nailed it...you're far better off from a safety standpont braking with the engine on long grades. Besides, I doubt that you're causing any undue wear on the transmission.

-Frank P.
  • nitro24nitro24 Member Posts: 3
    Well, its been two weeks that Ive owned my Forester, and have been waiting to drive it in the snow. Today it dropped 3 inches of light powder and I couldnt wait to get on the road. I remember the dealer telling me not to use the ABS for the 1st 500 miles but my first turn out of the parking lot I found my self spinning in a 360, I probably accerelated alittle too much at first to give it a try< Since I used to drive a two wheel drive vechicle and it kicked [non-permissible content removed] in tight turns in the snow. I was pretty comfortable seeing how the Forester would handle. I never expected to be spinning though even as I counter steered. Any input in driving with AWD in the snow... since it does fall alot here, besides slowing down... Although I will.
    Otherwise I love driving my Forester L,

Beverly that does sound quite high check out www.costcoauto.com
  • aussierooaussieroo Member Posts: 78
    manual transmission forester with low range and the engine braking in low range is incredible and lots of fun. i have a very long steep hill to negotiate to my parking spot at my apartment block so i put the transmission into 1st in low range foot off the gas pedal and coast down (the speedo does not move from 0) you can really feel the engine braking working at this point. i then do a right hand turn travel 30 level metres another right down a slight incline a left up a slight incline (the vehicle actually increases speed here) then a downhill with a left into the parking spot. i can do this without ever depressing the gas pedal or the brake (until the final stop of course)and the vehicle has not stalled. what a great feature in a traffic snarl. i keep telling my partner that the car is smarter than i am (which is true).
    the upshot of it all is that i have had a ball getting into my parking space and totally pi**ed of anyone who is unfortunate enough to be behind me!!!

i cannot understand why SoA have dropped the dual range manual tranny when they are trying to flog the forester as a viable (not brilliant) soft roader.

cheers

gus
    Gus: we agree! Give us the dual range please!

Ed: Blue or White? Well, dark colors get swirl marks if not waxes properly. Scratches show more. Salt from roads shows more. Looks beautiful when clean.

White hides scratches well, but dirt shows up pretty quick. My other car is white and it always looks dirty. Very visible, though.

Go with Silver or Gold if you want low maintenance.

Tranny? If you tow, off-road, or commute a lot, go for the automatic. If you auto cross, rally cross, or drive mostly recreationally, get the 5 speed.

Nitro: 360 already? Wild man! If you're getting into a spin, ease of the gas slowly and it usually will catch as long as you countersteer. When it does, hit the gas again and watch it fish tail! WOOHOO!

-juice
  • nitro24nitro24 Member Posts: 3
    Well , I think I was just a little over excited the other night when I took it out, Got to drive alot yesterday and today in the snow and ice and I have to say Im very impressed,
    I think the roads the other night were real icy to since it the weather turned real quick.
    All day yesterday I fealt comfortable and safe through my driving. No spins or fishtails, I think I just had to get used to the way it handles.
    By the way I love my Gold color I think it stands out from all the rest, plus it doesnt show the dirt that much, with all the mud the past few days the white car next to mine looks pretty nasty but mine still shines it natural color.
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    the snow?? In Vancouver we are still waiting. I too love my gold Forester for the same reasons. If the snow refuses to come to me, I'm going to go find some this weekend.

Ross
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I'm waiting too! But Thursday is the day!! But, you'd better play around in the snow to your heart is content that evening because it may (I hope it doesn't!) rain on Friday. If there's no enough here, I may be driving up to Burnaby Mtn and SFU to find some :-)

Drew/aling
    Edmunds.com Townhall host
    We're supposed to get freezing rain tonight.

Our climate is kind of lame. We rarely get nice powder. Instead, it's freezing rain, wet snow, hail, etc.

Can't wait to try the new tires in the slippery stuff.

-juice
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Drew and Ross:

I'm hoping that we get some of that white stuff in Seattle too. Some snow fell on Sunday morning, even while the sun was out. It didn't stick though. It certainly has been cold enough to snow. Gov. Locke got on the airwaves a few days ago and asked everyone to not turn on their X-mas lights until after 8pm, turn down their heat, etc. or we might risk mandatory brown-outs, ouch! Oh well, if that happens, I will be in my Soob w/the heater blasting and buns being toasted by the seat heater. I knew that winter pkg would come in handy! :-)

Stephen
    Fortunately, we don't face any such power problems here in the frozen north - yet. Drew, if you go up to SNAFU (my alma mater btw) let me know and i'll join you.

Ross
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Mine too Ross...Ah, got to love the snow up on that mountain! LOL, SNAFU; first time I've heard it. The extra "NA" doesn't mean anything does it?

We're supposed to get some of the white stuff tonight and tomorrow morning. Steven, saw your Gov. Locke announcement on KING5 last night. Hopefully you'll get some of the white stuff as well! BTW, in D.T Vancouver alone today, I saw something like 6 O.B. wagons(!), and one L wagon. There was also a nice (Black) '00 GT sedan.

Drew/aling
    Edmunds.com Townhall host
  • rslnp1rslnp1 Member Posts: 29
    What's up with the new format? How do you bookmark.
    I have two routines that never change when I get a new car. Unlike with software , I RTFM first thing. The other is to find a good patch of early winter snow and learn the beast's snow & ice characteristics. (I gave my son his first driving lesson before he got his learner's permit just because the snow was good.) :-) Got up at 5 AM to take care of the later following a brief run Thursday night.

Conditions were excellent for testing: 3 inches of wet, heavy snow on a base of moderately rutted ice in a large, empty parking lot. Light rain falling, +1c. I now truly understand why so many 4x4s wind up in ditches. Rufus (MY '01 Forester S) pretty well ignored the ice & snow as far as accelerating was concerned. Handling at first seemed on a par with a good (not great) FWD. The moment of inertia is significantly greater than a Cooper or ever a Golf thus making it less "chuckable". Handbrake turns are fair to good for the above reason. The real surprise can when I gave it heavy gas in the middle of a turn - major oversteer! Great fun, who needs the handbrake. After only a few minutes I found I could do reasonably controlled 180s.

The standard rubber (Yokos) is adequate, little more. For the typical Vancouver winter it makes no sense to upgrade, but in Toronto I would probably do so. I gave the ABS a good workout and overall I think that I like it. Good steering control, very positive feedback and reasonable stopping distance on wet ice. I don't think I could do better (perhaps not as well) with it disconnected. BTW I passed my driver's test in a major snowstorm back east in '63. I do know winter driving. It is very easy to get up more speed than the brakes and steering can handle even though both are good. I had to remind myself that the road were treacherous!

After the parking lot exercise, I hit the hilly city streets. I found that I could detect the torque transfer when accelerating heavily on mixed clear-wet-icy roads, but it was very smooth and total control was maintained at all times. By this time a few others were up and about. To cut this short, Rufus did marvellously in the real world test. Among others, I pulled around Accord, Passat, MB C-series and some sort of Buick that could not make the various hills. Rufus had no trouble from a dead stop. All in all, I am most impressed. Will head for the real snow soon.

Ross
  • jackleungjackleung Member Posts: 79
    Anyone had that accessory? Could that thing "generate" heat or cold or "keep" cool and warm only? How come it require electricity?
    Any advice will be very apperiate.
  • oldjayhawkoldjayhawk Member Posts: 36
    I picked up my new 2001 Forester S Premium with automatic transmission about 2 weeks ago. I am a little disappointed with the amount of wind noise when the SUV runs at 50 mph or faster. The noise comes from the rear on the passenger side (it does not appear to be from the moon-roof, but I will listen more carefully after pushing the top from under the moon-roof all the way back with the moon-roof shut). Has anyone had a similar experience with a new Forester S Premium before? Any comments from Juice, Ken, etc.?

Jay
  • tinindianatinindiana Member Posts: 46
    My wife and I are getting the "S" model and have the price agreed up with the dealer. We then receive a call saying the "S" model is not available in the silverthrorn metallic/gray color scheme. Only the "L" and the premium monotone. Color is not that big of an issue to me but she has her heart set on the silver and would settle for the "L". There is a brand new red "S" on the lot with $800 in extra options they offered to us for the same price if we take it. I have done so much research and have had it. Is this true with the color scheme? I love my wife but it's only a color!! Any input appreciated.
    I am not sure whether your dealer was telling you the truth. I just picked up my new Forester S Premium in silver about 10 days ago from my dealer. Granted that my silver Forester was ordered in early November, but I never heard my dealer saying that silver Foresters were no longer available. My guess is that if silver Foresters were indeed not available, my dealer likely would have told me, when I picked up my silver Forester, what a great job they did for me in getting my new silver Forester. May be your dealer was trying to entice you to buy the red one in their lot.

Jay
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't have the brochure in front of me, but I think the dealer is correct, in that the Forester S is not available in Silverthorn. I know the L and S Premium are available in Silverthorn.

I've seen several S models in gold (with the gold bumpers/cladding) that look great. It's sort of a gold-on-gold look&#151;very handsome! :)

Bob
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    Forester S is not available in Silverthorn, however, S-Premium does come in Silverthorn, according to a brochure I have here at the office. (what, me interested in the Forester? Nah... *<|:-)

-Dan
  • boris8boris8 Member Posts: 6
    I am due for my first tire rotation on my new Forester (@8,000 mi). Is that something I can do myself by just moving the tires around or do they also have to get balanced/aligned? I hate to take it into the shop when its something I can easily do myself with a jack and jack stands. Is tire rotation even really necessary?

Boris
    My new 2001 Forester S Premium with automatic has been running for about 2 weeks with about 290 miles so far. It runs quite well on snowy streets. However, ever since I picked it up at the dealer, I have noticed a whining noise originating from the front when I accelerate at low or medium speed. The volume of the whining noise is not high, but I am a little concerned. Does anyone have a similar experience? Is there anything wrong?

Jay
    I can't think of any reason not to rotate the tires yourself. Should not require balancing or alignment. Be sure to adjust the tire pressure when you are done. Enjoy!

Ross
  • wang_n4wang_n4 Member Posts: 8
    My 01 Forester has 12000 miles on it.
    And I received a coupon from Subaru regarding extended warranty,
    6/100,000 for $1284.72.
    Does it worth consideration?
    Any advice would help!
    Thanks!!

Sean
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Sean,

You should be able to apply the extended warranty at any time your vehicle is still under the 3/30 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'd wait until the last minute to decide. Why give them the money now?

Ken
  • tinindianatinindiana Member Posts: 46
    Well, my wife and I just bought a 2001 in the silver. It wasn't available in the "S" so we got the "L" with alloy wheels and some other options which make it very nice. What a vehicle! Picked it up yesterday and drove about 100 miles - it is such a sturdy and smooth vehicle and we are looking forward to many years of enjoyment. Juice, awhile back you showed step by step oil changing instructions with pictures which looked very helpful. Is there any chance you could re-post them or tell me what post # it was so I can go back and find it. Thanks!
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Subaru owners club!! Keep us updated with any interesting news about your ride. What other options did you get?

Juice has been away, but you can find all of his Subaru related info at his homepage:

http://thejuiceman.homepage.com/soob.html

Have fun!

Ken
  • wvsurveyorwvsurveyor Member Posts: 4
    I have had my Forester for about two months, I have just over 4400 miles on it. I am experiencing problems with my windows fogging up. I’ve tried the recommended combinations of defroster, air conditioner, heat, cool, etc. Nothing seems to work. The drivers area is fine, but the passengers windows, and the rear side windows usually remain fogged. This only seems to happen under a certain combination of temperature humidity. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
    Hey Mike, you may have tried this, but ensure that the recirculation switch is set to bring fresh air from the outside. Also, make sure the windows are extremely clean on the inside. Dust and dirty films on the inside tend to cause the windows to fog up easier.

-TonyL
  • steveylinsteveylin Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 2001 Forester S+ for two months, and I'm very pleased with it. However, I noticed that there's no light in the glove compartment. Does anyone else find this annoying? I expect things like that on a 20K vehicle. Also, my MPG is hovering around 22, whether it's city or highway miles. I'm hoping that'll improve as the car breaks in. We just passed the 3K barrier. Overall it's still a great car.
    Steve
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

If the windows are fogging, try running the air conditioning and heat together with ducts directed down onto the floor area. Carpeting is a great holder of moisture and you may have an accumulated moisture load there which you are not clearing. Air Con dehumidifies the air and if you get the temperature of the car up the moisture in the carpet tends to evaporate so it can be recirculated through air con system. You need to do this for quite a while, possibly an hour or more.

Whilst doing this, you may need to experiment with recirculated and fresh air.

Also check drains from air con unit are clear as water may not be getting away. This may be hard if you are in a below freezing atmosphere when it is possible that there may be frozen water in the drains.

Wider issues are to look for any leaks, particularly from drain ducts which are clogged by autumn leaves. They may need to be run through with a soft wire or small plastic hose. It is sometimes easier to locate the bottom of the drain and work upwards rather than the other way as this clears leaves etc more easily. Look at particular at the drains around the sun roof as moisture here can lodge in the roof lining.

Lift rubber mats so that moisture trapped beneath them is drawns out too.

Also shake off snow etc before getting into the car as the accumulated moisture from this builds rapidly, particularly if you are repeatedly in and out of the car.

If you still have problems, check all door seals carefully.

When all else fails, ask a repairman to check it out for leaks around glass etc.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Graham
  • pagemillroadpagemillroad Member Posts: 11
    The '01 Forester may not have a light in the glovebox, but at least it has a light inside the pull-out rubbish tray!
  • wvsurveyorwvsurveyor Member Posts: 4
    Tony,

Thanks for your response. I've tried with outside air, I've tried with re-circulated air, I've tried with the ac on, I've tried with the ac off, I've tried with high heat, I've tried with low heat, I've tried everything I can think of, and none of these combinations work when the atmospheric conditions are just right. This is the only problem I've had with the Forester, otherwise I love it. My wife, who also has a small car (Nissan Sentra) claims that the fogging problem is a standard problem in all small cars. I don't know, maybe so.

Graham,

These are some good suggestions, I'll try them. One piece of information I've left out. I don't have a problem when I'm by myself, or have only one other passenger. However, with more than one passenger--impossible. I think the moisture source is the breath from all of these people, and that the system just can't handle it. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again,

Mike
This discussion has been closed.