Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I doubt you will find the Ultra 3.6 under 35k.
    It is the high performance version of the RDV with a limited quantity being built and hard to find.

Perhaps you should consider a different vehicle if you think it is too expensive. I am curious why you entered the same message three times.

~Ken
  • Options
    tjhsmithtjhsmith Member Posts: 25
    GM is currently offering offering a total of $5000 cash back on the RDV, according to a full page ad in today's paper. (Boston Globe)

When I bought my '03 CX last September, GM was offering the exact same deal. As a result, including the dealer discount, I was able to buy it for only $23,000 -- or $8,000 off the sticker price of $31,000.

You should be able to get a similar deal.

With that much off the sticker, the RDV becomes a good value if you're going to keep it long enough to make depreciation less of an issue. Plus it's a great vehicle that the whole family really likes.

Good luck.
  • Options
    cudaalcudaal Member Posts: 34
    thx Ken,
    CXL AWD is also available with 3.6L, hope to nail in the $33K-$31K range before the rebates. I do not mind to pay for quality and performance ( actualually I've budgeted up to $45K for my current purchase). But Buick got neither. they know it, so they just've bumped rebates to $5000. I need to unload my GM card earnings, after that, I doubt, I'll ever look at them (maybe Caddy or Corvette if that in my future ;o) I genuinely regret now I've started all this GM card monkey business. Ideally I'd prefer roomy sporty station wagon:
    Saab 9-5, Volvo, Dodge Magnum, maybe Subaru.. GM got nothing of the kind, Saturn Vue with Red Line option also do not accept GM card earnings. Centieme is probably stillborn and years away. SRX is nice but it's over $51K=over my budget.
    Do you work for GM? Insider? Can you tell me what is wrong with them anyway?

Posted 3 times by mistake..
  • Options
    thank you kindly,

sounds like a good deal to me, i'll try to duplicate it.
    how the CXL was/is in dependability dept so far?
  • Options
    northbayguy1northbayguy1 Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like you got a great deal. What kind of package or options did it come with (e.g. Plus package, AWD, third row seats, leather seats, cloth-leather, etc.) for that price? I have a 2003 CX AWD which I purchased in Feb. 2003, and I agree with you-there are good deals to be had and it's a great family vehicle. Good luck with yours.
  • Options
    cudaal -- Only 8 months and 10,000 miles, but quality/reliability has been perfect so far.
  • Options
    Northbayguy1 -- It's a FWD CX, black. If I remember correctly, the options were 1SB Plus pkg., (which is different now than it was then) anti-lock brakes, traction control, leather seats with cloth inserts, third row seat, roof rack cross bars, 16" aluminum wheels, front side air bags, steering wheel audio controls. The exact sticker, including destination, was $30,840. Married, two kids, needed minivan, wife drives it mostly, liked RDV best. Seemed like a lot for the money after rebates and discounts totaling $8,000. Very happy with it so far.
  • Options
    cudaal -- you mentioned that you prefered Saab
    9-5 wagon, but you had to unload GM card dollars. Saab is 100% GM owned. Don't they accept the GM card savings?

Also you say you want quality and performance but "Buick got neither."

According to J.D. Power, Buick outranks every brand but Lexus and Infiniti for quality over three years of ownership.

It also outranks every brand but Lexus, Cadillac, Infiniti and Acura for Power's first 90 days "initial quality" survey.

Consumer Reports magazine recently named the Buick Regal and the single most reliable vehicle for sale in the U.S.

As for performance, Buick's aren't world class in the handling department, but the ride is comfortable and the Regal GS with the supercharged v6 is very fast.

Here are some links to articles:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-08-quality_x.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-05-06-quality_x.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-11-03-reliable_x.htm

GM earned and deserved their reputation for crappy cars, but I think those days are behind them. However, it takes a long time for consumer perceptions to change.
  • Options
    bsunny2bsunny2 Member Posts: 1
    Considering purchase in black with bronze bottom. Does anyone have this color and is it hard to keep clean? The black really looks nice...just wondering about the upkeep on keeping it nice. Has anyone priced getting the wood package? We're looking at the added sunroof package but don't want to spend the next $1999 for features we don't need. How bad is the resale? Really? Price seems to be higher than we thought especially after you add the all wheel drive. We are also considering the Isuzu Ascender 5 passenger. I like the Rendezvous, my husband just found the Ascender and likes it alot. Any comments? Thanks Wendy
  • Options
    Saab, Saturn unfortunately do not take GM card earnings.
    performance is ride quality, power per weight unit (compare RX330, Cady SRX etc). I'd prefer good roomy sporty station wagon alas Saab, Volvo, or look at Dodge Magnum. GM got nothing of the kind, SRX is somewhat close, but in the right configuration it's checks out @ $49000+. May be Buick will go for Centieme?.. RDV of course is roomy, but what about pleasure to drive, ride satisfaction?
  • Options
    Congratulations! How much that in $US? could U tell more about the ride , pick up etc?

Thx
  • Options
    northbayguy1northbayguy1 Member Posts: 10
    IMO the RDV is a very smooth driving SUV, especially around town. I have 4 young active children, and I am constantly shuttling them and their friends to and from school, sports venues and get togethers of one sort or another. Our RDV(AWD w/3rd row seating) handles it all, although I haven't really had the opportunity to test the AWD feature yet (no snow in the SF Bay Area). As for freeway driving, the ride is quiet and steady even in windy conditions, and I find the power train to be more than adequate for my basic needs. I've taken the RDV fully loaded with golf and travel bags and 4 adults for an extended golf trip over the Sierras without any problems or noticeable lack of power whatsoever. I think it's a great SUV for the price.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Black, is well, black, and is a color I think only people who are into frequent, very careful hand washing and drying, in addition to extra careful polishing and waxing, should buy. Don't get me wrong, we've had 2 black cars and they're simply awesome when fully detailed, but it takes massive amounts of time, energy, and money to keep them looking the way a proper black car should.

Suggestion? Don't get black unless you want to become an expert on weekly detailing--like I did!
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    bsunny ... I agree. I went with the Pewter (silver) RDV and it really keeps its clean appearance much longer than a black (or white) car. I would definitely get another silver vehicle just for this reason!
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I'm looking into possibly getting a roof rack for my RDV to carry some items on my roof (extension ladder and some wide tables). My question is if whether the OEM horizontal bars are completely flat or slightly bowed to follow the shape of the roof contours? If anyone with the factory bars can tell me, I'd appreciate it.

I know the bars offered from Thule and Yakima is flat and superior but also more expensive.
  • Options
    coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    They are slightly bowed.
  • Options
    Thanks for replying.

Do you notice any wind noise up top near your crossbars say at highway speeds?
  • Options
    coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    There is some noise here, but I have never driven without them to know if it would be less if they weren't there. Maybe I'll try it. I only use them occasionally so it would be nice normally to see if it was quieter.

MIke
  • Options
    darrendarren Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

I'm considering a Rendezvous as our second vehicle and family hauler. My wife and I currently have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT and we'll be looking for a second vehicle in the not too distant future.

I really like the Rendezvous for its combination of SUV looks and mini-van versatility. I'm really looking at it as a way around the dreaded mini-van.

I've got a few questions for you all.

Firstly, how many car seats can I fit in the middle row? I'm looking at getting the 3rd row seating option, but would love it if I could have those seats folded flat most of the time for cargo space. Currently we have one toddler and one on the way, but my wife eventually wants 3 kids. Can I realistically expect to fit 3 car seats in that middle row?

Secondly, the major gripe I've seen about the Rendezvous is the power. Now I know I'm not going to win any drag races with this vehicle, nor would I try to. Is it really that big an issue? Would I be better suited opting for the bigger 245HP engine? I have the same 3.4l 3400 series engine in my Grand Am and it's fairly peppy in that car, but I do wonder how it would do with an increase in weight.

Thirdly, how is the reliability of this vehicle overall? I know Consumer Reports has recently ranked it as "Average" but I really think they're biased against domestics (I think Edmunds.com is similarly biased) but I'd like opinions from people who have actually lived with the vehicle for a couple of years as opposed to people who simply say "GM sucks" without ever having owned one.

Thanks all! Hope to be joining you guys as a true "owner" in the near future.

Darren
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    Three full size forward facing seats could be tight. Never tried it but I wouldn't make a decision unless I lugged 3 seats to a dealer and tried it, regardless of what people might say. There are many different types of different sizes, so try it with yours. If they don't fit in the middle row, I wouldn't buy this vehicle and plan on using row 3 for child 3 because the middle row is split in the centre rather than 40/60, you would have to remove a seat whenever you needed access to child 3 in row 3 - the last thing you want to do in an emergency. The other thing to consider is the children's ages. If child 3 comes when child 1 is big enough for a booster, then two seats and a booster would undoubtedly fit fine.

Power is not an issue at all for me (one toddler and one on the way), nor can I see it becoming one. It is fine for a family hauler. If I want power, I'll buy a Viper (ya right:-)). The only engine issue that might make me think about it is the common gasket issue with the 3.4 - not experienced by me, but talked about a lot on this forum so search if you haven't seen it. I was oblivious to it when we bought, so it wasn't a factor in the decision.

As far as overall reliability, I personally have had no major problems (just a couple minor ones) with the RDV in 2.3 years and 50,000 km and would recommend it if it meets your needs and configuration. My prior car was an Olds for 14 years that also served me well. I'm not a poster boy for GM, but I can't complain either.

Andre
  • Options
    montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    I would have to agree with NOSUV. As with any SUV/Car, take your own seats down to the dealer to get them into there and check out the seating for yourself. Given that; here's my $0.02.

We have two kids, toddler 3 and 1.5 years. They are on the outboard of either side and the middle 'hot seat' is for the lucky 5th adult. The fit is okay on the hips, but if you have wide headrest carseats then the shoulder room gets a bit cramped. We use the Cosco seats and they tend to be wider on top. Boosters will definitely be easier and probably three will fit without troubles.

One consideration would be to have the 6 seat configuration (a la Ultra). We've been considering upgrading to the ultra because of the engine and 6 seater. Having two car seats in row 2 virtually eliminates the utility of the third row without removing a seat. Plus, the added engine power is good during onramp acceleration which is lacking in the base 3.4 (otherwise a very capable engine for regular motoring).

We've looked for the CXL with 6 seater and the VVT engine, but to date still haven't been able to locate one....

Echoing NoSUV....2.5 years and 26000 miles with little issues besides the ill-conceived remote rear hatch lock.
  • Options
    I own an '03 RDV and the power isn't great, but it's certainly adequate for a practical family hauler and not as underpowered as some reviews would have you believe -- and I have a strong preference for powerful cars.

Only had it 9 months and 11,000 miles, but the quality has been flawless so far. Don't know about the RDV specifically, but the Buick brand overall ranks extremely high in quality surveys. My other car is a '99 Buick Regal GS and its near perfect quality over 5+ years and nearly 80,000 miles is part of the reason I bought the RDV. I've also recently owned an Acura and Nissan and my Buicks have had much better reliability.

I think three car seats across the second row would be a tight fit, as in almost any vehicle, but possibly do-able.

I have the third row seat, but don't really feel comfortable letting my two young kids ride back there. Unlike a full size minivan, there's almost no "crush space" between the third row and the back of the vehicle in a rear end collision.

We only use the third row on rare occasions, but if you have a lot of kids or do a lot of carpooling, you might to give this issue some consideration.
  • Options
    nj72nj72 Member Posts: 1
    Need help in making a decision here

I am considering purchasing a 2002 RDV. Have the option of buying a loaded CX with 31k miles for about $15.5k. Is this a reasonable deal?

After driving a couple of them, was worried of it being underpowered. Also read all those complaints about BCM and am thinking of buying extended warranty

Another issue is depreciation, looks like it depreciates very fast

Would appreciate suggestions about the price, quality, power and depreciation..
  • Options
    I don't know the book value, but edmunds should be helpful in that view.

The engine is fine for daily motoring and roadtrips. The only downside is the acceleration between 45-65 for merging into freeway traffic; nothing compared to my old Sentra SE-R! Otherwise, the downshifting is smoothe when called for in passing and hill climbing. That said, I would opt for the VVT if I had it all over again because I do prefer the improved acceleration.

BCM: (knocking on wood), hasn't affected us to date at 30K miles. No problems really to date; but buy that extended warranty if you're really concerned...make sure to read the exclusions though (especially in California).

Depreciation: welcome to American cars. That's the downside of heavily discounted/rebates cars. It artifically depreciates the car from the very beginning. The depreciation rate becomes comparable after ~3-4years to foreign cars.
  • Options
    arthur24arthur24 Member Posts: 6
    15.5 for a 2002 rdv is a decent price. At 30000 miles I wouldn't worry about depreciation but that it is a good quality vehicle. Buick makes very good vehicles even though car writers hate to say it. If you purchased an equivlalent Honda or toyota it would not have the features and would cost more. My 2003 rdv has enough power for any thing I need to do. If you made an honest comparison with it japanese equals you would wind up with the rdv. It is definitly true japanese vehicles have better images but not just better vehicles. I would rather pay for a car then a name
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Darren,

1. In the middle row you can fit two LATCH seats on each side and/or a regular seat in the middle.
    I went to the garage to measure the middle row width - it is 55.8 inches. This means that as long as the child seats are 18.5 inches wide or less, three of those should fit in the middle row bench seat.

The third row is also equipped with a LATCH anchor and seatbelts, so theoretically one could carry five car seats. It comes in handy as I wrote in message #3609.

2. The power is adequate around town. Pick-up from a stoplight is lively. When accelerating while getting onto a highway, the power is decent at half-throttle up to about 50 MPH. To keep same acceleration further, just get to about 3/4 throttle, and with a gear shift the 2-ton RDV will keep on accelerating. I hear the 2004 CXL Plus and the 2005 CX (in 2005) can be had with the new 245HP motor. Try the regular 185HP one, and if you don't like the on-ramp acceleration, go for the bigger engine.

3. The overall reliability is good for a vehicle of this complexity. Comparing it with a Corolla is difficult as Corollas have fewer parts and thus a higher reliability. Nevertheless, we haven't had any repairs on the 2002 CXL with all the options except the towing package. The only concern to-date is the occasional reading of the external air temperature lower than actual, which doesn't affect the AC operation. Plus, the dealer at Buick treats you much much better than at Toyota.

Regards,
    Taras
  • Options
    pjgptpjgpt Member Posts: 15
    I have 3 kids, a 2002 CXL and a Mazda MPV (prior to the MPV I had a Windstar). The minivan is definitely the way to go, it is much more functional with kids, strollers and everything else that goes with them. The buick is a nice second car that allows me to haul the three kids around when I have to. I put two kids in the third row and one in the 2nd row and leave the passenger side seat in the second row folded up.

With this configuration you really don't have much storage, other than the floor in the second row where the seat is folded up.

I also used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee in which I had the three car seats in the second row. It was not a pretty sight. The kid in the middle got abused from both sides by his brothers. Go with the minvan.

In regards to power, I have never had a problem, it is more than adequate.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Test drove the Ultra yesterday. A noticeable difference in acceleration and the matching body panels are nice. However a price tag of 43k is kind of ridicules in my option.

I have liked my RDV since I bought it three years ago and still think it is a great vehicle however I would rather be driving the Lexus RX330 and for 43k I could have one with most of the toys.

~Ken
  • Options
    iglooheatiglooheat Member Posts: 32
    Would you really pay anything close to 43k? We bought a CXL Plus with the 3.6 vvt engine this weekend. Sticker was $40,370. After the dealer discount, the GM rebate and the GM card allowance, we paid under 30k.
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your new filter. How much faster does your Geemer go? K&N's site www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#STOCK suggests up to 4% (or up to 7 HP). Any comments?

Another question - do you know how will this filter last in a warm clmate? Can oil used in this air filter evaporate at 150+°F typical for a hot summer day under the hood and decrease its efficiency? www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#SINTERVAL suggests at least 100 miles. An easy way to find out would be to bake it at 200°F in an oven for a day or two and check if its weight decreased any, but the electric bill would probably cost more than the filter:) The K&N site implies that a proper heavy oil and polymers are used, but this is not stated explicitly anywhere. How often do you plan to re-oil your filter?

Regards,
    Taras
  • Options
    Jim you are correct. I believe the price would have been about 35k after the $5,000 rebate and GM discount. It sounds like you received a great deal on yours. I have had my RDV for three years and really enjoyed it.

However there isn't that much difference in the appearance between the 2004 and my 2002. I can't justify paying about $21,000 ( they offered me about 15k for my RDV ) just to have the bigger engine and maybe a different color vehicle

~Ken
  • Options
    You make a good point Ken. If I were in your position, I wouldn't make that move either.

For us, the 5,000 rebate plus 2,250 gm card allowance made the RDV hard to resist (we were going to wait for the fall release of the new Ford Freestyle). It took me a while to find a 3.6 CXL, but we're glad we waited. I'm babying the engine during break-in, so I can't really speak to max power output.
  • Options
    We also looked into the Ultra for the stronger engine because I feel almost being run over on the short on ramps here in California; but the ~8K+ more over the CXL VVT is just too steep....

Problem is, we're interested in 6 seating capacity for easier access to the 3rd row with 2 child seats in the 2nd row and want the captain chairs instead of the bench....but CAN"T find that configuration with the VVT option anywhere in the SF Bay area. There's a few CXL with VVT, but they all don't have the 6 seater option in it.....oh well. :(

I do like that Ford Freestyle though.
  • Options
    RDV 04 3.6L, sunrf, 3rd row, and trailering FOR heavy duty engine/tranny cooling, air pump, tow over 1.5 tonnes.

it took dealers forever to get the specific package in the whole of North east, but IMHO it is worth it to have whAT U want with a major purchase of $30-40K. White, beige inside. Deatails later, now will go play with it.

happy , safe roads everyone..
  • Options
    crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    Just could not resist the lease deal for GM employees, 2yr. 15K lease $365.00 a month nothing down, this is for almost a $41,000 vehicle. Hope i'm happy with it.
  • Options
    Wow! Do you know what kind of lease deal they have for non-employees?
  • Options
    awesomeawesome Member Posts: 2
    For those who purchased a 2002 RDV like me(especially the early production ones), how happy are you with your RDV so far? My RDV has two BCM changes so far, and a new set of key(the chip in the key malfunctioned), one replacement of the on-star system. So far, no mechanical problems(knock on wood). Mileage is about 18~19 mpg mixed and would love to have some more power.

But one thing surprised me was the resale value. I was thinking trading my RDV in for a mini-van. The best offer I could get was $14,500 for my RDV(loaded CXL with every option, only 15,000 miles). I paid $32,000 for the car back in Feb of 2002(after rebate). In comparsion, my wife's 2002 CRV cost $22,000, the same dealer is willing to offer $17,000 for her car instead. I also just traded in my 97 BMW 528($37,500 new) for $17,500 for another sedan. I guess I'll be keeping the RDV for a few years longer, I just hope no major problem occurs with my RDV.
  • Options
    I purchased my 2002 Rendezvous CXL in May 2002. I currently have about 27,000 miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems (mechanical or otherwise). I still have the original BCM. Aside from oil changes and tire rotations and the tailgate recall (no charge), I have not had any maintenance done on my Rendezvous. I'm getting 19+ mpg doing mostly city driving. That jumps up to about 22 on the highway.

No problems. No regrets. Resale value? I'm not worried, as I'll be driving this car for years to come! Power? I test drove it before I bought it and, for my needs, it's more than enough power. Would I have bought the Ultra if it were available in 2002? Probably not if it really adds $4000 to $5000 to the sticker price.

I'm still happy!
  • Options
    We have had our RDV since July 2001. We have a little over 50K and have really enjoyed the vehicle. However you are right about the resale value. I was offered about 15K for mine on a trade in for the new Ultra with a price tag of $43K. But overall I have been very pleased with the RDV.

I have heard the complaints about being under powered but I really never noticed it, mainly because I drove a 4 cylinder S10 Blazer for a couple of years and that was really a dog off the line, not bad once you got it going but by the time you got it up to speed, traffic backed up or stopped and you had to start all over again. The mileage has been better on the RDV then I expected, given the size, weight and ride of the vehicle.

We had some problems with the RDV. However the 2002 RDV was the first model year and you have to expect some problems with new models. All the problems we had was covered under the original warranty and since we purchased the extended warranty I feel we are Ok for a couple of more years. That plus the fantastic service we receive from our Buick Dealer is the main reasons we decided to keep the vehicle.

I recently purchased a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires for our RDV. To be honest I am a little disappointed in the ride with the Michelin tires. The ride seems harsher and more ridged than when I had the Affinity tires. I guess that is because the Michelin tires are more of a truck tire and the Affinity tires are more of a luxury car tire. It is going to take some time to get used to the different ride and handling. It is almost like driving another vehicle. Our RDV came with Firestone Affinity tires and I kind of wish I would have stayed with the Affinity's. I liked the ride better and the Affinity's were less money than the Michelin's.

~Ken
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Purchased our RDV CXL in May of 2001 and it still has the new car smell. Albeit a few problems(warrantee covered) it is still a fine vehicle.Kenym , early on a lot of folks were bashing the Firestone Affinity tire. It's refreshing to hear some good words on them. I still have them 15000 Mi and they give you a very smooth road feel. Interesting comments on the Michelins. Many posts ago, a few were swearing by their Michelins. They of course are entitled to their opinions. I guess ride perception is an individuals wants and needs :-)
  • Options
    Pete you are absolutely right on that. It is a matter of preference and driving habits. I don't do off road with my RDV and would rather have the more comfortable ride.

~Ken
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Actually, it will be my wifes car. She loved her first one and with the early turn in we decided to get another one. We got our first one in Feb 2002 and it stickered at 27775 and this one stickers at 31130. They are very close in equipment - new one has Onstar and 2nd row captains chairs and dual climate control and side air bags. Anyway no money down, 12k, 3yr, GMS came out to $278 per month. The 02 was $315 per month and I put $1000 down. Makes a great family car and seems like a pretty good deal to me.
  • Options
    I bought mines back in March 2002 with now a bit over 11,000 miles on the odometer. She has served me well. I average about 17-18 mpg in congested city driving. On steady highway trips, I normally see 24-25 mpg. I noticed a difference power and response using regular, super, and premium gas. I normally stick with super (mid grade) The only issues I had to take care of was:

check engine light early on due to loose gas cap (I do two clicks now and no problems again)
      tailgate recall which resulted in a cracked tailgate panel after the installation was done. I had to wait close to a month for a replacement which couldn't be found due to a shortage of parts. So Buick had to remove a panel from a 2003 RDV on the factory floor. The 2003 panel had some obvious "cheapening" compared to the original 2002 I had.
      water leak in second row passenger side during strong downpours. This was due to the rubber molding being crushed/dented in somehow.
    So my issues were minor but yet time consuming to fix. The good stuff is that she has served me extremely well. The seven seating was very useful in the many times I needed it. She has carried home everything I needed for my dozens of trips to Home Depot and IKEA in the course of a house renovation ranging from 7 foot tall book shelves, Sony Wega tv's, 6 floot ladders, 8 foot counter tops, air conditioners, flooring...the list is too long to include. She's single-handedly moved two families into their new homes. The utility has just be great!

I'm one of the drivers running on Michelin LTX M/S tires. I feel they have better traction, much less noise, and sharper responses. Everyone's wants will be different.
  • Options
    90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    Hello-
    Re:early build 2002 RDV (06/01)
    I haven't checked here for a while,so it may have been covered elsewhere, but I was just told by my service manager that I shouldn't inflate the donut spare tire to the 60psi indicated on the tire. He says that the cable that the spare comes down on won't support that weight(might break), plus there have been problems of it not fitting into the space allowed, and some other issue I forgot.

I only found this out after I called to complain that after 3 years, 5 oil changes and a tire rotation at the orig dealer, I found there to be only 32 pounds of air in the spare. This would seem to be something THEY would check, no?

He thought 50 psi would be OK after I asked, but he seemed rather vague on the whole issue. Apparently, Buick and the dealer,would just rather have you call a tow in the event of a flat in the middle of nowhere. Probably not a bad idea. Who would want to deal with THAT setup?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    heh, I think someone is confusing psi with weight. Lance Armstrong puts 120 pounds of pressure in his tires, but he's not pushing that much weight on the Champs-Elysees.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    Hello-
    Steve, I found my own answer, had nothing to do with inflation!

2002 and Prior Light Duty Trucks with Spare Tire Stored Under Vehicle

Spare tires stored under the vehicle are lowered and raised using a vehicle mounted hoist. Operating the hoist at high speed can cause the hoist cable to bind which could make the hoist inoperative. The use of air tools to lower or raise the hoist results in high operating speeds.

Important : The hoist should be only lowered and raised by hand using the tools supplied with the vehicle. DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS TO OPERATE THE HOIST.

I'll have to fax this to the dealer!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I had a shop snap a cable on a Voyager I owned raising the spare underneath with air tools. Had to replace the hoist gizmo.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    rrhrrh Member Posts: 1
    After extensive shopping, I keep coming back to the RDV. I like the 3rd row seating, like the low-to-the-ground entrance, like the look & size & feel of the car. But I never by new cars --always lightly used for good value, IMHO. But can't find used RDVs! Limited market penetration, no used ones to select from. Can't believe I am even considering buying NEW car from GM, but I keep coming back to this vehicle. I drive a Plymouth Grand Voyager now, w/ 3.3 liter V6. Will I feel the lack of power in the standard RDV engine size? I really don't want to spend the $$ on the Ultra...Thanks for any thoughts.
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    We drove a 3.4L Rendezvous this weekend and it was surprisingly ok in terms of power. The sales man said the 3.6L will be an option on the CXL (FWD and AWD) on the 05 models coming soon. If you want the power though just wait a couple of months.

Over all we were impressed with the ride and quality of the Rendezvous. We were going to get an Equinox but may reconsider now.
  • Options
    The Salesman may only be half-correct. I have posted before that I purchased a '04 CXL AWD with the 3.6 option in June.