Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was just reading about some bad ignition coils, but that was on VW's 1.8T engine.

As for wheel balance, now that snow and ice is around, keep in mind you might have some form inside your wheels. It's a good idea to keep the wheels clean and maybe even wax them to prevent ice and slush from sticking on. The problem is temporary because once it melts it's gone.

I'd have taken the $21k and bought a Pilot, too. Congrats.

-juice

• rver2rver2 Member Posts: 16
    I live in Flagstaff, Arizona at 7000 feet and have the 2002 CR-V, automatic. No problems and plenty of power, have had it for about a year now.
  • etin143etin143 Member Posts: 9
    There is a Recall Notice on the Ignition switch on certain 1997-99 CRVs.I recieved this notice 2 months ago and had it done last month.I had a 98 crv with 65,000 miles and didn't experienced the stalling problem.Try calling American Honda if you did not recieved the recall notice letter.hopes this helps.
  • etin143etin143 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 98 crv with 65,000 miles and during this cold season I'm experiencing this squeeking sound coming from the steering wheel usually in the morning.But when the temperature inside the car starts to warmed up the squeeking from the steering stops.Any ideas and help is appreciated regarding this problem.
  • crviccrvic Member Posts: 37
    Friends,
    this morning I traded in my '02 CR-V and got the PILOT. Sigh

At least I did not betray Honda!
    Congrats. Enjoy the Pilot, they are nice. Resale will be great even in the unlikely case that you change your mind.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Congrats on the new vehicle.
  • chewymanchewyman Member Posts: 20
    I looked at both but my wife found the pilot too big for her. Only 5'0 tall so we opted for the CRV. Seating position on the new CRV is better than earlier models as the steering wheel comes down more. Pilots were more plentiful than the CRV's we will need to wait a week to 10 days for ours. Hope to get it before the snow flies.
  • trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    The other day I was backing up slowly and I bumped into a low concrete block that I did not see. The damage to my 2002 CRV EX appeared to be minimal -- only a very light scratch on the right corner of the bumper. The next day, in better light, I noticed that the plastic bumper was slightly out of alignment with the metal body panel -- it stuck out about 1/4 inch. I gave the bumper a gentle whack, and it popped right back into place. Everything appears to be exactly as it was before the incident. However, I do not know how the body and the bumper fit together, and I wonder if I have broken a seal or something and should have it checked out by the dealer. Any thought on this matter out there?
    I would check it out. The bumper is designed to absorb the blow, but it might have to be replaced if the materials that do that cracked or broke.

-juice
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Just picked up a 2003 EX. My father-in-law was driving to work two days before Thanksgiving when he was t-boned by a guy running a red light. He is OK, achy and bruised, but his pick-up was totaled. Both of them liked my 'V and went to the local dealer to test drive a new one. Needless to say, they are now proud owners of a new 'V. This from a family that only bought GM in the past.
    It's usually the 20-35 year olds that set the trends, and then parents follow. That's why as a demographic we're a much more appealing group to marketers.

I'm assuming you fall in or near that age range, of course.

My dad bought a Subaru after he saw my Forester. He'd always bought Ford products.

-juice
  • jedaijedai Member Posts: 7
    When I checked front and rear bumpers of 02/03 CRV, there isn't anything other than the plastic mold. I don't know how the flimzy plastic bumpers work. The almost non-existent rear bumper is my main complaint to the new CRV. Well, there are even worse cars, but most have better rear bumpers. I think the new CRV needs more substantial and functioning rear bumper.
  • andriesandries Member Posts: 37
    Just brought the new CR-V home yesterday. Both the wife and I feel it rides smoother and quiter than our 98 Explorer. Not to crazy about all the plastic up front. Not to sure if it will handle these cold Canadian winters and hard Saskatchewan snow banks. I see I have BridgeStone Dueller H/T tires. Any advice on what this type of tire is like?
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I see I have BridgeStone Dueller H/T tires. Any advice on what this type of tire is like?

Try tirerack.com. They have consumer submitted feedback ratings on tires, along with detailed manufacturer specifications.

The Dueller H/T's have a poor rating.
  • soccermum02soccermum02 Member Posts: 47
    Seguy in an earlier post mentioned a small plastic convex square that applies on the inside of the back window that gives you a wide angle view in all directions. I found one at Canadian Tire for $16.49 - it might help prevent that sort of accident. I've been hinting to my husband about an audio back up sensor (also at Canadian Tire for around $50) :o)
  • ukrbykukrbyk Member Posts: 16
    I have my 1st 2000 miles on CRV LX 4 WD and on exclusively highway/cruise control ride she makes piddley 250 miles on 11.78 gallons of gas (21.2 MPG, fueled up to 3 shutoofs and re-fueled right after light comes up). Reason # 2 to buy this vehicle was Honda's promise of 26 MPG. So I am curious - is this MY car only that does this, will it get better through the next 5-8 thousand miles, or what? So far it's the biggest disappointment in this vehicle.
    Please, respond as this becomes a true aggrevation. ukrkoz@msn.com
    WHYLENNY - try to use only Honda key in the ignition, nothing else close. My car will not start if I have the rest of the keys on the same key ring. Also, considering that CRV are built for optimum performance on 86 octane, I will be not surprised if your car is just gas sensitive. I tried Exxon (250 miles), Texaco (250 miles), Chevron (250 miles), but somewhere in between I fueled on some secondhand gas station and it made 280 miles. Can't remember what it was though :(
    Otherwise - you have faulty idle speed unit. Or throttle position sensor. If it does not shake on idle and just dies all at a sudden - oh my, sounds like some elctrical problem and are those hard to find! Good luck! Bet you 5 bucks dealership will not find nothing wrong. Just watch if they will not rig your engine for higher RPMs on idle - it has to be 750.
    andries, please, go to to "Honda CRV problems" discussion here in Townhall - you might find some quite unpleasant messages about Duellers, including mine. They seem to be dangerous on ice and snow! I also posted a list of the best snow tires as of Consumer Report, take a look at it.
    My car was heavily pulling right untill they cross rotated tires, now it pulls moderately left, so I will just wear 'm to death and replace with michelins or dunlops, as snow and ice are a rare problem in TN/AL.
    Thank you for your response. But its so funny how you can read all you want but then when you go to your home town tire shops they tell you different. Went to two tire shops here yesterday, told them about the articles I have been reading, and the tires that seem to be rated much better (Yokohama Avid T4), And BOTH told me the same. Keep on what I got, because the Yokohamas even though they are a much quiter and smoother tire will not stand up in our conditions (gravel roads), because they are are high perfomance tire. What really brought the strange looks on there faces was when I mentioned snow and ice. Both have said that they change from Yoko to Bridgestone on many vehicles for better traction. In fact the one dealers sister had a CR-V, and they switched for that reason. Both also said that a rule of thumb, on all season tires is the the more road noise usually means a better gripping tire. Confused again, or is it this goofy Canada weather!!
    Oh by the way both shops sold both brand of tires, so no favoratism.
  • reed4reed4 Member Posts: 56
    ukrbyk,

We have an 02 CR-V EX 4WD Auto with 1380 miles. Here is the mileage on the three most recent tanks I have monitored:

22.4 mpg 70% city and 30% highway

23.6 mpg 80% city and 20% highway

23.2 mpg 80% city and 20% highway

Using 87 octane gas and driving moderately. All three tankfulls were from different gas stations.

During the holidays we will be driving from Austin to Flagstaff to Los Angeles and back. I plan on monitoring mileage and performance closely on the trip and will post my MPG's as I have access to the internet.

Reed
    A few years ago we had a discussion on mpg,and one fellow who is a bit of a perfectionist, told us the way to check mpg properly. Although it sounds stupid,tried it and he was right. Our 98 Explorer when done his way went from 17-19 to 23-25 Canadian MPG. Here are his tips try them.
    1 Fill your tank right to the brim,as full has it will go,no matter how long it takes you at the pumps. I mean till you cannot get one more drop in.
    2 Fill at the the same service station,same bay, for a different lean on the car can make a difference.I tried this on our Explorer and from nozzle kickout to completely full could vary as much as 22 litres or 5.8 U.S. gallons. Makes a big difference on a small tank.
    Have not tried the new crv yet, to early for that, and still trying to figure out tires!!
    Could you get me a part number for this mirror from CT. Thanks
    My only comment would be that some Bridgetstone tires are better than others. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. The Dueler H/T's that come stock on the CR-V are not one of the better Bridgestones. But the Dueler H/L's, for example, are much better rated than the H/T's. Both say Bridgestone, and both say Dueler, but they're very different tires. While I have no problem believing that your local tire stores are replacing Yokohama's with Bridgestones, I doubt they're using Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts.

JM2C
    I'm going to CT tomorrow to get hockey gloves for my son; I'll look up the part number then and report back. It isn't actually a mirror but a thick film of plastic with concentric ridges that gives a wide angle view. You slap the thing on the inside with water and then press the bubbles out. I placed it in the depression on the driver's side of the back window and personally I like it. I especially like to be able to see the bumper of the jerks behind me who for some reason insist on tucking in right under my spare tire at stop lights.
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    The CRV is not very aerodynamic, so at highway speeds, there is a tradeoff between cruising speed and mpg. If you cruise at 55 mph, you'll see much better mileage than if you cruise at 65-70+. This, unfortunately, is one of the drawbacks to having all of the space inside, and having a short overhang in the front to keep ride quality and overall vehicle length in check.
  • arkydogarkydog Member Posts: 50
    Piddly gas mileage is one of my disappointments with the CR-V, too, although I had researched ahead of time that the range was only 21 - 26 for LX 5-spd. I figured that since I was getting 24 - 28 mpg on my old 93 Suzuki 5-spd, I should get about the same with the higher-quality, newer CR-V 5-spd, even though vehicle is heavier. I am willing to live with 25 - 26 mpg for a while.

Wrong! After 5500 miles I consistently find -- and have seen it confirmed on this bulletin board -- that cruising speeds over 65 mph drastically cut into gas mileage. The car does great up to that (24 - 25 mpg), but drops drastically over.

Well, duh, since I travel about 70% highways at 68+ mph, my gas mileage sucks at 21-23 mpg, which is about all it can get with in-town driving, too. I use different brands of lesser-name fuels in it (Raceway, Hess, Phillips 66), same result no matter what. Manual is absolutely no help with this vehicle, and in fact, is not as smooth accelerating or as much fun to drive as is my Suzuki.

Storage is great, riding comfort is great, but 5-spd driving and mileage are real disappointments. May trade this CR-V for automatic drive fuel hybrid if one comes out soon.
    doesn't exceed 55 mph, if I recall correctly. This is why real world mileage can be so much lower, since aerodynamics come into play so much more as the speed increases. Or, you could just drive 55 all the time ;)

SUV's in general are not good choices if fuel economy is first priority. If you need good high speed highway mileage and flexible cargo area/seating, and can trade away ground clearance and seating position, go for a wagon.
    Actually, the average MPH for the EPA "highway" test is 45 MPH.

In my '99 EX 5 speed I get 24-25 MPG in city driving, and 28+ MPG highway. My record is 30.1 MPG highway doing 65 MPH with A/C off and tires at 30 PSI. Winter driving (I live in Western NY) is 2-3 MPG lower.

YMMV ;)
  • matt479matt479 Member Posts: 26
    6 months now with my CRV-EX and still loving it! So versitle for a smaller SUV. Now I'm ready to test the AWD in some snow next weekend! This is one of the main reasons I bought the CRV. From this board I know there's a lot of people who have driven the CRV in the snow without problems. Is there any California CRV owners out there with snow driving experience? Since CHP gets overly cautious about putting on chains, what about with the CRV? Do you guys just "carry" the chains? Do they make you put them on even though it's AWD?
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    I have an '02 EX. Just got 10000 miles over the weekend. Everything runs great so far. However, I got the maint reqd light turn on shortly after 10000 miles. Someone told me that Honda does it to the new cars. You will need to take it to a dealer to have the light reset. Is that true? BTW, I changed the oil myself at 6500 miles.
    Bridgestone does make plenty of good tires. The S03s are excellent performance tires. I've heard good things about the RE950 as well.

Tires are a tiny fraction of the overall cost yet make probably the biggest difference in performance (traction, braking, handling, wet tracion, ice/snow traction, etc). Don't be shy about swapping them if you're not happy.

Imagine spending $23 grand and having a bad ownership experience because of $400 worth of tires.

Also keep in mind what might work well for one person may not work for another. OE tires are a compromise, but you can choose a tire for your specific needs.

-juice
  • k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    I don't own a CRV but I have years of experience with chain control on california mountain passes. On average, the CHP will let your CRV pass through chain control under most conditions without chains on but you are still required to carry chains. They rarely check if you are carrying chains, however, if the weather is really bad, you may be required to just show that you are carrying chains. If the weather is even worse, then they will require all vehicles to chain up.

Just think of it this way, you can go to your local tire shop and purchase a decent quality pair of chains for 1/2 to 1/3 the price that people sell poor quality chains for at the chain control areas. You likely won't need them but it is cheap insurance that you will beable to get to the ski slopes on time.

One question though, do you put chains on the front or rear of the CRV?
  • matt479matt479 Member Posts: 26
    thanks k2rm! Yeah, I've got to buy a pair of chains to carry in my CRV. Next winter I'll look into getting better tires. If the conditions are really bad, I just normally wait it. I'd guess if you had to put chains on, they'd go on the front wheels since the CRV defaults to FWD in normal conditions.
    well, I check on mileage simply: 3 shutoffs (it won't let you more anyway) and fuel ASAP as soon as light comes up. did it for 3 weeks so far,2300 miles, every time it's almost perfectly 250 miles and 11.7 +/-.05 gallon. so - it's 21.5 mpg. period.
    I took a second look at the car window sticker. What a casuistic language! "most of the vehicles are reported to achieve 22 to 30 (!) mpg highway drive, depending on driving style, weather conditions, etc". How many lawyers it took to come up with this? So I am in the bottom "not most" variety.... darn. The reason I am so mad is that I was forced by circumstances to buy a car basically in one morning. Went for durability, quality, and reliability - got a dud. Jokes aside, I like the car. it's just that that gas mileage was one of the main drives. Now I almost drive with left eye on the road and right on the fuel gauge, afraid to do any sudden manuevers or acceleration, and still expecting the blessed 26 miles to a gallon. By the way, I drive alone, 95% highway, and do not carry any luggage, so it's a double whammy.
    Re. all the remarks about aerodinamics., etc - who cares? Just tell me honestly - this car makes 21 mpg, I can live with this. Don't tell me to get on top of Mt. Rainier and drive downhill for 5 hours, at 75 degrees and no rain, and without touching the gas pedal to get to that promised mileage.
    But I have good knews in all this - at least, thanks to y'all, I know that I did not get a lemon, they just are like this, so I can start enjoying the drive. I like how it drives, I like acceleration, I like comfort, it feels rugged enough for my 6'5'' 275 frame, it has great breaks, very nice stereo - so I'll just start driving it instead of moving from point a to point b. Extra few bucks for gas does not make a whole lotta difference.
    Once again - thanks y'all for your response, you all are great, enjoy your cars and drive safely!
    It really does depend on your driving style. My fiance lives in Indianapolis and I live in Rochester, NY. About 600 miles, door to door. Since I drive this at least once a month I've had a number of opportunities to play with speed, A/C on or off, etc and see how it affects MPG.

Without going back to check details to accuracy, I know that over the same road I've achieve between 26 MPG and 30 MPG just by varying my speed. If I set the cruise control on 75 I get 26 MPG. If I slow down to 65 MPH I get 29+ MPG. A/C on or off only changes mileage by 1-2 MPG.

How fast you drive really does affect your mileage. Trust me on this. Slow down and the numbers will go up. And not just top speed, but accelerate a little slower. I was taught to drive by imagining an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. Try not to break the egg. (But I'm human, so sometimes I just have to have scrambled eggs! :D )

On the other hand, I've seen lots of posts of people complaining about 18-19 MPG with '97-01 CR-Vs with automatic transmissions. And then I'm not surprised when they admit they just gotta beat every other SUV off the line at green lights, drive 80+ MPH on the freeways, and go through a set of tires in 20k-30k miles.

21 MPG is not unreasonable for some driving styles.

JM2C
    ukrbyk: I think a bigger gas tank would have addressed your complaint about range. Gas is cheaper than Evian, so be glad they don't run on water!

Try 32psi in the tires and cruising speeds at 65mph or less, I bet it improves. Good luck.

-juice
    the service engine light is indeed tied to the odometer, and is reset by the dealer (usually)

there are instructions in the manual on how to reset it yourself.
    "Re. all the remarks about aerodinamics., etc - who cares? Just tell me honestly - this car makes 21 mpg, I can live with this. Don't tell me to get on top of Mt. Rainier and drive downhill for 5 hours, at 75 degrees and no rain, and without touching the gas pedal to get to that promised mileage."

This car makes 21mpg in some conditions. These conditions include highway cruising in hills and at 80+mph.

This car makes 26+mpg in some conditions. These conditions include highway cruising without many hills at around 55mph.
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    Thanks robmarch. The car still runs great, just want to make sure it is only the 10000 miles and not a real problem. I will check out the manual to see how to reset it. Does Honda do it to all the latest model? Any idea how often the Maint Reqd light will be triggered by the odometer? Every 10k miles?
    Been there and back. The "Wide Angle Rear Window Lens" is made by "Fit System." It is 8"x10" with stock number #36-0002-2 for $16.49 at CT and Hockey gloves 40% off :o)
    Thanks very much, I will check that out next time I am in town.

Also article 9939: real life mpg. - ukrbyk by theracoon, I first thought it was my father writing this article. I cant believe how people do not do a little experimenting once in a while. Yes were driving habits can affect your mileage considerably. My dad use to say that he worked to hard to give the fuel companys and the government more tax money by burning extra fuel. SLOW DOWN, ADD A FEW MORE MINUTES ONTO YOUR TRIP, AND PUT THAT EXTRA MONEY INTO YOUR POCKET.
    The other thing the has me puzzled, is since I have found this wonderful site I have heared no one talk about lubricity and cleaning. Maybe, just maybe, is this were our valve problems are coming from? I dont know if I can post names or web sites on here, but we have used a stabalizer for years, and take my word on this. Untill you see the differnce in engines that are using it, I wont even take the time to argue. With low fuel standards our engines need a little help. In any of our vehicles, we have never touched a motor, from the VW's which had up to 300000 kilometers, to the old 81 GMC, which we currently still own(lost track on how many times it tripped the odo, they only went to 100000 back then.)
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    CRV MILEAGE....

Highway driving between 55 and 60 mph on backroads --> 29 mpg

Highway driving between 70 and 75 mph on interstate --> 23-24 mpg

Highway driving 80 mph on interstate --> 21-22 mpg

50% highway, 50% town --> 22-25 mpg

This is with a roof rack and with 1 inch larger diameter tires!
  • qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    My much HEAVIER MDX and Quest do 23 mpg at 75 mph. Both of them are not much better aerodynamically. I am convinced that it is the gear ratio. In order to achieve puppier driving experience, Honda made the 5th gear too low. The result is a 3600 rpm at 75 mph. CRV really needs a 6th gear to save fuel. BTW, posting 26 mpg measured at 55-60 mph is misleading to say the least. 50-60 mph is not a real world highway speed. I can live with the 22-23 mpg at 75 mph but not the 250 mi range. Fortunately I already have a solution - I am going to get rid of my 02 CRV after this winter.

Despite of the problems like fuel consumption, cruise range, noise level and lousy tires, etc. I must admit that CRV is still the best choice in its class. Just does not fit my needs well. I blamed myself for not researching throughly and believed naively on the 26 mpg that was printed in the brochure.
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    qgu,

250 mile range! Huh? That means you are getting 16 mpg with your CRV.

----

If the CRV is getting 22 mpg then your range would be 337 miles.

If the CRV is getting 26 mpg then your range would be 398 miles.

----
    The gas light comes on too early, I admit that, but I ignore it for a while. I think the CRV could use an additional gear like you said and a bigger tank would be nice also.
  • vickiebvickieb Member Posts: 7
    Here here,I agree. I've had my 2003 CRV 2WD Automatic for about a month and it seems all I do is put gas in it. I used to drive a 6cyl 3.0 caravan (no wise cracks please I never had any problems with the 13 year old van) I could always bank on getting at least 200 miles out of a half a tank. I think I'm averaging about 130 miles per half tank with the CRV. I'm not sure what that is per gallon but I don't want to know.

Two other things that really bugs me are the terrible blind spots on the side. I won't even go into the blind spot out the back window. Let's just say I won't be parallel parking anytime soon, unless I have one of those guy from the local airport that park the planes behind me. Other than that I like my new CRV.... I think!
    BTW, posting 26 mpg measured at 55-60 mph is misleading to say the least. 50-60 mph is not a real world highway speed.

I'm getting 28+ MPG at 65 MPH in my '99 EX 5 speed. Consistently and regularly. Best I've ever achieve was just over 30 MPG at 65 MPH.

Can't get more real world that the posted legal limit. And yes, many people drive much faster on the highways that I do, and even argue that they'd get "run over" if they drove slower. My experience differs. I personally have a great aversion to to any professional contact with law enforcement officials. I haven't had a ticket since 1985. No tickets also mean lower insurance rates, which means lower total cost of ownership. ;)

I can live with the 22-23 mpg at 75 mph but not the 250 mi range. Fortunately I already have a solution - I am going to get rid of my 02 CRV after this winter.

You rely too much on the low fuel idiot light. With a 15+ gallon tank your range is over 300 miles, not the 250 you quote. That's 4 hours at 75 MPH. By the time my CR-V is ready for gas I'm more than ready to stretch my legs.

Good luck with whatever you get.
    I think it stays on for several seconds starting at 7500 and stays on all the time starting at 10000 after the last reset. I believe it's in the manual, though, so please don't quote me on it :)
    Just a suggestion, but why not get bigger tires, maybe touring tires? It would address two of your concerns: noise and gearing.

In fact I'd plus one and then some, get maybe 235/60HR16 tires on alloy rims. You could sell your old alloys on E-bay or put snows on them. This is an under $1k investment. Trading in your CR-V will cost you far more.

Get quiet touring tires in that size. That would quiet the ride, plus the larger diameter means the engine would turn slightly lower revs, making it more quiet and maybe helping range a little (your speedo will be off slightly, but most are off to begin with).

Plus it would look cool. Fill up those wheel wells.

Another polite suggestion to both of you: try a longer test drive next time. If you spent 13 years in your van (wow!), I'm sure half hour on a test drive isn't too much. Check blind spots and road noise on the type of roads you'll be likely to encounter.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I've been tracking fuel efficiency since September 99 (5 speed EX). My overall average is about 25mpg. My daily commute is about 36 miles with a 70/30 split in favor of highway driving. I spend about 10 minutes in stop 'n go traffic most mornings (95 split below Boston).

I also take long highway trips. For example, a trip to Cooperstown this weekend for a CR-V rally. On these trips, I typically get between 25 and 28 mpg. Even with the car loaded with five adults and camping gear, I've gotten 23-26 mpg.

My range is about 320-350 miles to each tank. Fuel economy drops in Winter months. The cold weather, longer start-ups, and changes in gas lower averages about 2 mpg.
    But you have the 2.0l, I don't think the new 2.4l is quite as efficient (real world, not EPA). Then again, it offers more torque. Fair trade off.

-juice