Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    On the first service visit for my 2k Ltd a mechanic over torqued my lug nuts and ruined the rotors. The only fix was to replace them. They couldn't machine them. I had to live with the brake vibration for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Any of you guys familiar with the Toyota Buy Back Program? I received a letter from the dealer I purchased my 4Runner from stating that it should currently be at its peak resale value if it has less than 65K miles on it and they'd be willing to buy it back. I'm sure they want me to buy another, although the letter made no mention of that. My 2k Ltd coincidentally has 45200. Anyone had any success with this?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone got a letter like that last week, but I think it was for a different brand (Jeep, iirc).

I'm pretty sure it's just an advertising gimmick by the dealer to move some stock. Anything to get you in the door. Not that there's anything wrong with that :-)

Unless there's a recall on that no one else has heard of - that's the usual connotation of a "buy back" program.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    I always wanted to do that trip one day to Alaska!
    How did the tires hold up? Some people I have talked to recommends to purchase a new set of tires and put them in the trunk before the journey and have the old tires changed on the way back. Did you have a cell phone for your trip and did it work? Sorry for all the questions, just really interest on your trip up north.

<<We took the Sequoia from North Carolina to the top of Alaska, Prudhoe Bay, last year and it was a dream ride. No problems over a bunch of rough roads, especially above Fairbanks and the arctic circle. Total trip, 10, 500 miles.>>
  • Options
    I did the Alcan from Anchorage to Boise back in April. Most areas don't have cell phone coverage. Ditto the Dalton Hwy. to Prudhoe.

I happened to have a full set of extra tires last trip, but that was because I bought the car from a friend up there and she had a set of mounted snows and a set of mounted summer tires. (Flew up, drove back). My other 6(?) trips I just took the usual full-size spare.

Check out the Milepost from your library sometime. Great drive!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    metmdx: I got a fair deal at Millenium Toyota in Hempstead. Got a 2003 Sport V6 4x4 and paid $1000 under invoice. I negotiated invoice price then I got the $1000 college grad rebate.
  • Options
    2003help2003help Member Posts: 23
    Just put the 5000th mile on my Automatic ,V-6 4X4, 2003 4Runner .
    I noticed this last week and wondered if anyone else has experienced this?
    After I have come to a stop on the highway. As I take my foot off the brake to the accelerator, In that instant, I feel a bump of light clunk as thought the transmission is engaging. Like a slight lurch forward.
    I haven't taken the car out of gear, I have driven 35 - 40 mph and come to a stop light.
    Feels like the auto trans. is loose. The bummer is, this doesn't happen all the time.
    Is there a way Toyota Service can check this?
    Being that it is intermittent, can they check the clutches without a road test? If not I guess they will have to drive it around till it happens.
    Any input on this would be great.
  • Options
    First and foremost, I am very curious to see how they managed to fit a 3rd row seat in there.

More importantly, according to the Toyota website, one other difference in the 2004 is an increased payload capacity - 1240lbs versus 1060lbs for the 2003. Clearly this is to accomodate the third row seat since it's difficult to find 7 passengers that each weigh under 150lbs. But even the Sport Edition has the increased payload (no 3rd row seat option for Sport). So my question is this - were there any actual structural changes that allowed the increased payload or did Toyota just 'adjust' the number to accomodate the 7 passenger capacity knowing that 1060lbs was on the conservatie side?

I have the 2003 V6 Sport and I find the payload of 1060 a little on the low end. 5 passengers (myself included) easily exceeds 800 pounds, not leaving much capacity for gear. That extra 200 pounds in capacity would be great to have.
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Not sure I'd like the new 3rd row seat... essentially lose any cargo space when it's in use, unless you used the rooftop. Can you say MINIVAN?

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/4runner/key_features/third_ro- - w.html
  • Options
    rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    "Accessible cartridge-type oil filter"?
    Excellent!

(It doesn't take much to please me...)
  • Options
    terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    When you come to a fast stop in any live rear axle truck, there is a bit of "axle windup" that is released when you release the brake, giving a "thunk" sound. It isn't harmful.
    This can happen at city speeds coming to a stop. The same thing happened in my other suv and some owners wrote the same thing worried something was wrong--but it's a characteristic of the live rear axle. It won't happen if you come to a gentle stop or let your truck roll a tad to release the pressure.

I'm not sure if that's what it is for you but it sounds like it is.
  • Options
    slitorslitor Member Posts: 29
    I got a great deal at Longo Toyota. Bought my fully loaded 4runner SE for $31400 out the door.
  • Options
    What was included in your SE for $31,400?
  • Options
    pfessor10pfessor10 Member Posts: 9
    Steve pretty well summed it up. Cell phone service was spotty on the Alaska Highway. Practically non existent on the Dalton after you get a few miles north of Fairbanks. The Alaska highway actually was not bad except for a few construction sites. The road above the Arctic Circle was very very rough. I took two extra tires and extra gas but fortunately did not need either one. The 243 mile section from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay was a little scary with no service of any kind, but if you prepare well and don't mind taking a little chance, I would recommend the trip. Stark scenery like you will see nowhere else. Definitely get the Milepost.
  • Options
    beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for the update. I guess I'll worry if I get the letter.

I'm counting my lucky stars that I have a good Toyota dealer for service, after reading the horror stories.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Haven't seen any pixs of it folded.

Bob
  • Options
    terrafirma
    I have owned a Chevy Blazer and never had this happen.
    I just got rid of my Grand Cherokee and I never felt this.
    They were both 2WD. I was wondering if this is common for 4X4?
    But the live rear axle makes sense.

No worries
    Thanks again
  • Options
    renshorensho Member Posts: 42
    My friend has a 4wd ltd 03 and he was told that the problem was due to slop in the drive shaft splines. Possible, but certainly not a reasonable excuse in my book for a $40k car.
  • Options
    khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    The symptoms described by 2003help are classic symptoms of slip yoke binding. As terrafirma says, it is due to axle windup, which effectively changes the length of the driveshafts. The driveshafts both incorporate a splined slip yoke to accommodate this, but they won't work smoothly if they're not well-lubricated.

There are multiple grease fittings on the propeller shafts to lubricate the U-joints and slip yokes. The fittings for the slip yokes take *LOTS* of grease. Toyota recommends that these fittings be lubed at each oil change. Use Lithium grease with moly disulfide, or synthetic grease, for best results.

-Karl
  • Options
    Next time look at the Dempster to Inuvik; another great drive.

I never took spare gas btw since I didn't think it was a good idea to have a bomb on board. But a bit of rubber hose for siphoning often got tossed in when I lived in AK.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    slitorslitor Member Posts: 29
    For an out the door price on my

03 4runner SE I got

V8
    17 in wheels
    side impact airbags
    premium stereo
    roof rack
    spoiler
    double decker cargo
    mats
    rear audio
    day/night headlights

pretty much everything except the nav. system.

Longo is a good place to hussle/negotiate a good deal. You just have to be willing to stand your gound.
  • Options
    zeus258zeus258 Member Posts: 15
    A local dealer is offering me:

03 Sport v8 4x4 Titanium
    YU Appearance Package
    SR PWR Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    DJ JBL 3-in-1 Audio System
    KG Black Running Boards
    RF Rear Spoiler
    SP Sport Package
    C7 Convenience Package
    WL Alloy Wheel Locks
    CM Double Decker
    RL Daytime lights
    HP Hood Protector
    FO Sport Bumper Trim
    SE 50 State Emission
    $ 29.900 +T+T

I asked 100 times; Are you sure? They said sure sir !!
    The car will be ready for delivery in 2 days.
    Are they nuts, mistaken or what?
    A scam perhaps !!
  • Options
    aheckaheck Member Posts: 36
    From what I can tell, that's a few hundred under invoice. Great deal, but not unheard of.

Aaron
  • Options
    I think right now Toyota is offereing $1500 or $2k in rebates to the dealers which might explain the pricing.
  • Options
    sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Make sure that Runner is not a demo or loaner. That is a pretty good price otherwise. Don't get suckered by the 'you saved so much money you can afford the rustproofing, window etching, seat protecting spray and other snake oil proposals.
  • Options
    How does the Demster Highway compare to the Dalton? Services? Rough roads? and are there interesting things to see in Inuvik?
  • Options
    More services, plus a village or two, and the road is usually better. Inuvik is a big town (3,000+), so makes a nice destination. Should be more info in your Milepost.

I'm a sucker for long dead-end gravel roads. Yellowknife is another nice destination but the road isn't as scenic (more trees instead of tundra). Ditto the Trans-Labrador Highway.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    The 2004 4Runner is displayed at www.toyota.com for anyone who's interested.
  • Options
    rkymtnhghrkymtnhgh Member Posts: 14
    Hello,

I just picked up an '03 SR5 V6 4x4 and want to change the oil after 1,000 miles. I've never owned a Toyota, much less a 4x4, so can anyone tell me the location of the oil drain plug and whether I need to remove the skid plate, etc. as I've seen in some discussions on the V8? I know the filter is in the engine bay so that shouldn't be a problem, but is the drain plug a pain to access? Also, what size wrench would I need for the plug? Any other tips? Thanks.
  • Options
    gcfor8gcfor8 Member Posts: 4
    I have a V6 4x2 and there is a small plastic plate on the skid plate about a 4in by 8in I think.
    Just pop it out with screw driver.
    The drain plug is 14mm.

Hope this helps,
    Gary
  • Options
    First "Opps,sorry Steve"
    Second thank you Karl for the input. I had the oil changed in my V-6 4X4 4Runner yesterday. I asked to make sure they lubricated the U-joints and slip yokes. The only thing I didn't tell them was the type of grease to use. Do you think Toyota will use the type of grease you mentioned, and if not, how will I know?

While I was at the dealer I asked If Toyota had made factory fog light for the 4Runner available yet.
    The price he quoted me was $720 for the set without the factory wiring and switch (not installed).
    Has anyone installed after market fog lights that fit the 4Runners factory set up, (correct voltage, switch placement, factory holes in the bumper)? The electrical wiring with cllips for the light are already there in the bumper .
  • Options
    Did you see them lube the points? Where are the points? Driveshaft? Anywhere else?
  • Options
    No, I didn't actually watch them.
    I just told them to lube my prop shafts, slip yokes, and U-Joints.
    They had no problem with me asking them to do that while they were doing my oil change. My total bill was 26.00 oil change and all.
    See khaug post #7380.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on Inuvik, Yellowknife and the Trans-Labrador highway. I love a good challenge myself. Those sound like good possibilities.
  • Options
    I don't know what part of the country you are in, but someone mentioned the Burr Trail (Escalante/Capitol Reef NP area) around Town Hall the other day. That'd be great fun in your 4Runner, and it's good access to rougher roads in the area.

I'd recommend the Magruder Corridor through the Frank Church (River of No Return) Wilderness Area here in central Idaho, but it closed a couple of weeks ago due to a big landslide, the day before we got there to drive it (8 to 10 hours, ~101 miles). It should reopen in 2 or 3 years :-)

If you're on the East Coast, circumnavigate Newfoundland. Highly recommended, even if the truckers on Canadian logging roads have the right of way and drive like hosers.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    In case you missed the thread last week, here's a Motor Trend story about the price increase on the 4Runner for '04.

It's impossible to predict what incentives (if any) will be around for the new model, but at least the prices won't be up much. We don't have invoice or TMV pricing up for the '04 yet.

If you're in the market, the end of the month is almost here and there has to be a dealer or two out there trying to meet a sales goal.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    My keyless remote will only open the rear tailgate window, but will not roll it up. Is this normal or is there something wrong?
  • Options
    they're all like that. Would be really nice if it did rol up as well.
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    They're all like that. A stupid oversight as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    txaudtxaud Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard a "clunk" after turing the AC on? Twice now after my vehicle has been sitting for ~24 hours or more the AC makes a brief clunk when turned on.
  • Options
    Have not heard of the Burr Trail nor the Magruder Corridor. I am in North Carolina. The Magruder Corridor sounds interesting because I go to Wyoming, Colorado or Montana every couple of years to do a little fishing and Idaho would not be much out of the way. I'll check it out on my Delorme Topo program.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I guess the data people heard me; now the '04 prices (invoice, MSPR, TMV) are live on site:

2004 Toyota 4Runner

Pfessor10, the Magruder is sort of like that road into Tellico south of the Smokies is (or used to be). Look up the Missouri Breaks Back Country Byway on your MT maps too :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    resumespeedresumespeed Member Posts: 52
    This is something that is totally baffling to me and defies all common sense logic. I have to wonder what idiot engineers or designers at Toyota decided that it would be ok to have the window work ONE way. This would have been a brilliant idea if it featured both up AND down, but now ends up to really be a worthless feature. What were they thinking??? They would have been better off to leave the feature out totally rather than do what they did. I have to wonder, how in the world did this snafu get all the way to the production stage? Certainly 100% of the people they would have mentioned this to or demonstrated it to would have said "Why???".

• Options
    tsheertsheer Member Posts: 23
    Maybe the reason it goes down only is for safety. Rolling it down can't generally do much damage, but rolling it up could get body parts jammed between the glass and frame. If you're away from the vehicle using the remote, you might not notice this problem as easily as you would if you are in the vehicle using the switch.
  • Options
    That is the exact reason there is no window up on the remote. It is a safety feature. Although it maybe a bit of an inconvienence (I don't think it is-after all what other suv even has the feature?) I would rather not have it on the remote.

I think the logic is that you will 1) open the window by remote as you approach the truck to put in groceries or something small.
    2) you will get into the drivers seat and start the truck to leave. From there you have acess to the "up" switch on the dash.

Although the rear window has a safety (it will reverse direction if there is something in the way). What if the "window up" was activated while in your pocket with something sticking out of it? It could potentially smash the window. What if your dog was sticking it's neck out and you accidentally activated the remote?

I'm glad it is not on the remote. If it was, I would probably end up disabling it--why risk it?
    All it takes is one accident and everyone would be saying how stupid Toyota was for putting it on the remote.
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    0% + $1000 rebate starting today on remaining 2003's at my local dealer. Tell me owners, V6 or V8 ?
  • Options
    V8 owners will tell you V8, V6 will tell you V6.

4.7 V8 is the same iforce as in the Tundra. 4.0 V6 is a new VVT-i, DOHC engine.

V8 has a 5 spd tranny, V6 a 4 spd

If you tow or need max. torque get the V8. Otherwise get the V6.
  • Options
    rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Also, I don't think the V6 has a supercharger available yet. The V8 has a relatively long history and TRD sells one for it. :)
  • Options
    yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    I am trying to adjust the system so that when I stop and shift into park all the doors unlock. Have followed directions in the owners manual but it doesn't work. I seem to remember a post several months ago about this but have searched and could not find it. Has anyone made this change and if so ,how? Many thanks.
  • Options
    The V6 is definitely quick - 245 horses and is lighter than the V8. With the V6 you have the choice of 2WD or 4WD, whereas the V8 is all time 4WD. Like the previous poster said, if you need the torque go for the V8, otherwise the V6 should suit your needs quite well.

I should mention that I've heard amazing things about the 5-speed auto transmission that only comes with the V8. "Buttery" "Silky" "The Big 3 should disassemble it and copy it" and so on. Maybe a reason to push you over the fence if you're undecided.