Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    I don't see how kheintz1 flammed anyone.

Basically, he explained his preference for the V8. He did mention that the V6 4Runner that he drove was a loaner that may not have been in the best condition. How did he make a "Flame post"???

Isn't the point of forums to share our experiences? There won't always be agreement, but that is to be expected.

*At freeway passing speeds where HP is an issue and you "get into harm's way" or get out, at 5000rpm's and 150 lbs less hanging over the V6 front wheels, who can get in and out of trouble faster?

At freeway passing speeds, do you think that either vehicle will statistically perform any different in "getting out of harm's way"? Most likely not.

*The V6 setup is also great. I never want for power or torque.

The V6 is great, but perhaps you do not want for power or torque because you don't tow heavy loads. If that is the case, that is fine, but there is a difference, whether driving with a driver and 4 passengers and the cargo area at capacity or towing, a V8 will have more "pick up and go."

*I agree the real world MPG is inaccurate. I think the difference is MORE than published and you will consistently get 3-5mpg or better than the V8.
    -The real world MPG may be inaccurate, but to think that the V6 consistently get 3-5 or better is unproven.

*I hate to post except for the fact your post is so inflamatory and inaccurate that I had to say something here. In fact the more I read your post the more pissed off I get.

- I don't see the inflammatory comments or inaccuracies. Those were his experiences. He even pointed out that "Your opinions may, of course, differ."
  • Options
    **Assume also that you had adequately test driven both versions. My question then is, how many of you would have still chosen the V6/4-speed powertrain over the V8/5-speed, and WHY? In reality, most who choose the V6/4-speed version are probably doing so because of financial considerations, and this is a perfectly understandable and rational compromise in order to be able to drive such an excellent SUV!
    -
    I agree with your statement. Let's face it, with every passing year, more and more people want more power in their vehicles, and the auto manufacturers provide them.

Financial considerations are a big part in making a vehicle purchase. ~$1000 is not chump change. Buying the V6 won't make you more loved by the Earth Liberation Front or the Sierra Club. Both engines are LEV rated. So, let's state that neither engines are going to be loved by our environmentalist friends.

The only other reason I could think of someone wanting to purchase a V6 (going along with your HYPOTHETICAL) would be because the V6 is available as a part time 4x4 while the V8 is full time 4x4. The V8, being a full time 4x4, will also contribute to a lower mpg rating. If both the V6 and V8 4Runners were compared with 4x4 engaged, I wonder what the true MPG rating would be. I venture that there would not be much difference at all.

Both engines are fine. I don't have a problem with either. For me and some others, the V8 Limited loaded was my preference for my needs.

So, I guess two factors are paramount to making a choice: cost and need.
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "So, I guess two factors are paramount to making choice: cost and need."

Don't forget the most important consideration: want.

Personally, I like low end torque off the line, which the V8 has in spades. Yes, the mpg is 1-3 less than the V6.

Drive them both and decide what YOU like. I got the V8.
  • Options
    ah yes, and "want" too :)

want, need, cost.....it's a trifecta.
  • Options
    terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    Isn't the point of forums to share our experiences? There won't always be agreement, but that is to be expected.

-------------then let me make mine just as kheintz made his-------------------

At freeway passing speeds, do you think that either vehicle will statistically perform any different in "getting out of harm's way"? Most likely not.
    -------------------exactly my point---------------

The V6 is great, but perhaps you do not want for power or torque because you don't tow heavy loads.

-----------------I guess you missed the part where I said 'if you're towing the V8 is better' when you were quoting me--------------------

-The real world MPG may be inaccurate, but to think that the V6 consistently get 3-5 or better is unproven.
    -------------------It's proven to me. That's my opinion based on time behind both------------------------------

Those were his experiences. He even pointed out that "Your opinions may, of course, differ."

------------...about the hoop scoop. Your opinions may, of course, differ re: the hood scoop. He was listing things. 3) Hood scoop ------------------------------

I think you forgot to quote my last sentence which was:
    "Both are GREAT 4 Runners and all anyone needs to do is a little reading at the old posts to decide for themselves what is right for them."

I bought my V6 price independent. It is the best 4Runner model, which is why I bought it.
  • Options
    Did I suggest that you shouldn't speak your mind? To call Kheintz1's post a flame in hardly accurate or fair. A flame would be to tell blatent lies without any reasonable justification.

*The V6 is great, but perhaps you do not want for power or torque because you don't tow heavy loads.

**-----------------I guess you missed the part where I said 'if you're towing the V8 is better' when you were quoting me--------------------
    -No, I didn't miss anything. I was just stating it as a fact. Also, I mentioned that with heavier loads (passengers, cargo) that the more powerful V8 could be asset. You also didn't quote me totally >> "If that is the case, that is fine, but there is a difference, whether driving with a driver and 4 passengers and the cargo area at capacity or towing, a V8 will have more "pick up and go"<< This might be more evident or obvious when driving up steep grades and such. Of course, that is just one example.

*It's proven to me. That's my opinion based on time behind both
    -"Proven to me" would be more accurately stated as "What I believe." Did you compare your V6 in full time mode when determining mileage with a V8? That would be a more proper comparison.

*"Both are GREAT 4 Runners and all anyone needs to do is a little reading at the old posts to decide for themselves what is right for them.Both are GREAT 4 Runners and all anyone needs to do is a little reading at the old posts to decide for themselves what is right for them."
    - I didn't quote you there because I agree with you on this quote.
  • Options
    Why would I need to compare the mpg in full time mode when I only use it when necessary? Since I have the option, I can calculate my mpg in whatever mode suits the terrain.

I've had no trouble with a loaded truck ascending or otherwise traversing any terrain.

As for the schemantics of what you (or I) further precieve is totally useless because it just leads to stupid, boring debates.
    Enough said about anything non-4Runner related.
  • Options
    **Why would I need to compare the mpg in full time mode when I only use it when necessary? Since I have the option, I can calculate my mpg in whatever mode suits the terrain.

If you want to insist that the V6 has 1-3 mpg better fuel economy, wouldn't it be fair to compare the V6 in 4x4 mode to a V8 which is only available in full time mode and is a bit heavier? I bet that the differential won't be very much. To make fair comparisons, it makses sense to compare apples to apples, no? I realize that the V6 has PT 4x4, which is great. Honestly (and I have said this in the past), I would have preferred that the V8 was made available with the part time 4x4, but, alas, it is not.

**I've had no trouble with a loaded truck ascending or otherwise traversing any terrain.
    --I didn't mean to suggest that anyone would have trouble traversing terrain with a loaded truck, but there is no arguing that a V8 would have "less" trouble under any conditions. That is a fair generalization to make, is it not?

schemantics? Is that a word?
  • Options
    I don't even understand what you're trying to say anymore.

If I have NO trouble, will the V8 have LESS trouble traversing terrain? I don't know, less than none?

It seems like you answered yourself with the multimode 4wd.

Now I wish someone would start talking about sulpher again because this is lame.
  • Options
    **If I have NO trouble, will the V8 have LESS trouble traversing terrain? I don't know, less than none?

--I don't know what terrain you are traversing, but there are conditions where having more torque would be of advantage, especially off road since engine power would need to be accessed at a low RPM. That is what I meant by less trouble under any conditions.

**It seems like you answered yourself with the multimode 4wd.

--My question was >>If you want to insist that the V6 has 1-3 mpg better fuel economy, wouldn't it be fair to compare the V6 in 4x4 mode to a V8 which is only available in full time mode and is a bit heavier? <<

I make an issue with this because there is hardly any difference in the mpg between the two engines. 1mpg officially is the difference between the two engines, which is hardly significant. If the fuel economy difference were 5mpg, then I could see a basis for touting the mpg advantage of the V6. Thus, fuel economy isn't really a deciding factor between the two. What it comes down to is cost and torque (and want).

ok...back to SULFUR (or SULPHUR) - How many 2004 4Runner owners out there have the Sulfur problem?
  • Options
    qualitymanqualityman Member Posts: 15
    Toyota offers a brushed aluminum door sill accessory and I'm wondering if anyone out there has purchased a pair and how they like them? Do they scratch easy? Better than the EM plastic ones? How much are they and are they worth it?
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    in off-road situations, and precisely because of mpg. With a V8, you would run out of gas, what, 50 miles sooner? And while a V6 owner would driver those 50 miles in his truck, you would have to walk, leaving your 4Runner behind!

Of course you may plan your trip so that you do not run out of gas, or have a full gas canister (bomb) inside your car, but why bother, if V6 does the job just as well, and is easier on your wallet, meaning you could afford to buy another 4Runner sooner than a V8 owner?
  • Options
    junglejimjunglejim Member Posts: 18
    "in off-road situations, and precisely because of mpg. With a V8, you would run out of gas, what, 50 miles sooner? And while a V6 owner would driver those 50 miles in his truck, you would have to walk, leaving your 4Runner behind!
    "

Am I missing something? Does the V6 have a larger gas tank than the V8? The EPA MPG is only 1 MPG better in the V6. I don't think I'd want to be driving around with that much gas in an SUV ;-)
  • Options
    dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    I appreciate those who answered my 4Runner questions so far.

My only 3 minor complaints about the 4Runner:

1. There is no available 5-speed automatic on the V6 version. Especially w/ a sport-shift capability. Seems like most vehicles (including some SUVs) these days are headed that way or are already there. It might slightly help MPG on the V6 as well.

2. Factory-installed leather heated seats should be an option on both the SR5 and the Sport, not just the Limited. Considering the price range, it's not like this is an entry-level vehicle.

3. 4Runner needs to have standard side & curtain airbags. Or at least standard side airbags. Many vehicles do this as standard now. Again...for the price range, I don't think most consumers will argue about an extra $200 on the sticker price for a standard safety feature like side airbags.

- Any thoughts? As you may recall, I posted a few questions on here the other night since I'm considering the 4Runner as my next vehicle / my first SUV. Check out my old questions as well.
  • Options
    If we compared the mpg between the two, wouldn't the V8 run out of gas approximately 23 miles sooner? I guess if you look at it that way, then yes, the V6 could prevent you from taking a long walk :)
  • Options
    I agree. I guess in an ideal world, all options would be made available for any vehicle model (SR5,Sport, Limited), but I guess keeping the hierarchy the way it is ensures greater profits for Toyota by persuading potential consumers to buy the higher end models. To further add to "class distinction," the GX470 adds such small additions to the already loaded Limited. For example, the NAV system in the Toyota does not have a changer available while in the Lexus it is.

I would have preferred, for example, a V8 with a part time 4x4, but unfortunately this is not available.
  • Options
    mechfredmechfred Member Posts: 6
    The 5 speed in my opinion is not needed because top speed is about 108 MPH the V8 about 124 MPH so shift points are almost the same spacing as the V8.The 5 speed is needed in smaller engines to get it going without lugging. the 4.0 V6 VVT-1 engine in toyotas V6 4 runner does not lug. Also you will get multi mode and not be stuck in full time 4X4 which to me is very important. They made a mistake not offering the V8 in multi mode again thats my take on it as well as others have posted. The mileage from my tests is about 17 average town and 21 hi way but if you push it it will fall way down. Can't drive 80 and get good mileage. hope this helps the decision is the buyers always due to their needs.mechfred.
  • Options
    jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    This should be a no-brainer for Toyota. I would have a 4-Runner in my garage today if SR5s had standard side air bags and curtains. Because I don't want to special order after reading these posts, I will put off a new vehicle purchase until Toyota either decides to make these things standard or starts building as many for inventory sales as they do with that stupid double decker cargo thing. Read any newspaper article about some spinal cord injury victim who was hit from the side or injured in a roll over and side air bags and air curtains don't become a luxury option but as much a necessity as a spare tire.
  • Options
    V8 might indeed run out of gas 50 miles sooner than V6. But even if it's 25 miles, do you really want to walk that long, and then walk back with a full gas canister?
  • Options
    kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Adding more equipment as standard would first drive up the cost of the entry level vehicle, or perhaps encourage Toyota to take a page from the "American Big Three" and cut corners in quality and reliability ELSEWHERE in order to offer more standard features, while still keeping prices in line(?). If on the other hand, Toyota added more standard features such as side curtain air bags, while maintaining their high quality, and they increased the cost of the entry level vehicle accordingly, this in turn would price the more entry level models more out of reach for many prosepctive buyers, unless they bought a used vehicle, or a demo. In addition, it's my understanding that outstanding Japanese manufacturer's like Honda and Toyota have learned (and taught) that a very effective way to help maintain a high level of assembly line efficiency/productivity/quality, as well as to contain manufacturing costs (and hence, new vehicle prices), is by offering only a LIMITED number of "preferred option packages" as well as by ALLOWING only certain custom-order options. By doing so, one might cynically complain that the manufacturer is trying to force prospective buyers into buying "up" in order to get certain options they otherwise can't live without. But, I think a more realistic view would be to consider just how complex, expensive, logistically nightmarish, and time-consuming it would be for these huge companies (and their network of dealerships) to offer a seemingly endless number of custom-orderable permutations of possible vehicle options, while still offering competitive prices and Toyota's well known level of quality and reliability.
  • Options
    "in off-road situations, and precisely because of mpg. With a V8, you would run out of gas, what, 50 miles sooner?"

Gimme a break. What silliness.
  • Options
    yabedudeyabedude Member Posts: 26
    Bought an end of the year 2003 V8 Sport. Have read all this tread going back to spring of 2002. I don't think I have any of the issues some folks posted about, but I did find one annoying point.

I'm in Canada. We got rid of the paper one and two dollar bills only to be replaced with coins of the same denomination. The coin holder that ships with this vehicle is not-Canadian aware. It's designed for nickels, dimes, and quarters. The Loonies and Twonie's are rattling around in the compartment beside the shifter. I haven't seen a parking meter that takes anything smaller than a quarter in years.

Anyone know of an after-market holder for the bigger coins? Am looking for one that holds quarters, ones, and two dollar coins and that will fit in the same slot that this holder is occupying.
  • Options
    grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    and I'm disappointed by silly comments by some V6 owners. I own a V8 Sport. I test drove the V6 and the V8 (4x2 versions). There is a marked difference. I felt that there was no comparison regarding the drive train smoothness (5 speed tranny) and power that the V8 offered compared to the V6. My decision was easy. It stands to reason that you are paying more to get more.

If you are considering the purchase of a 4runner, drive all versions to your heart's content and then make your decision. This is a Toyota manufactured side by side with the Lexus version in Japan. You can't go wrong!

Regarding running out of gas in the V8 sooner than the V6, you deserve to walk if you are dumb enough to let that happen! ;)
  • Options
    Hehe...I guess I should keep a mountain bike with me for the 25miles back to base camp :)
  • Options
    I guess you are right. It would be impossible for a lot to maintain an inventory that would appeal to many if potential customers were encourages to place special orders rather than purchase from preconfigured models.

Some options should be made available to all though, such as side airbags. Perhaps if more options could be made available through dealer installation that would be a good compromise between product selection and product "adjustment."
  • Options
    likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Well, I've had this truck ('03 V8 Sport) for 5 weeks and still no sulpher smell.... Anyone know of an aftermarket kit to add the smell? And how come Toyota doesn't offer a 4-banger with stick-shift tranny on this truck? ;-)
    Larry
  • Options
    rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Its an $800 option from your friendly distributor Southeat Toyota or Gulf State Toyota.

Only avilable on models with moon roof.
  • Options
    Folks who go off-road can probably tell of a trip or two when even with careful planning they could barely make it to the nearest gas station. Of course, it doesn't happen every day, but it might happen! You can take a wrong turn or a huge tree may fall down, and you'd have to take a substantial detour

And if you get stuck somewhere in very cold conditions, then you'd freeze to death sooner in a V8 4Runner!
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    My wife drives a 03 Nissan Altima. The side air curtains are part of the same option as the ABS. If you want ABS, you get side air curtains. That was an $800 option.
     So it really is not that much. There are warnings not to lean on or near the windows with the side air curtains.
     I would have bought them as an option, if readily available in the 4Runner. But, I have the luxurious double decker cargo system. Awesome ;-)
  • Options
    At low speeds there is little difference in fuel economy between the V6 and V8. Off-road, you will be going slowly. Therefore, there will be little difference in range between the V6 and V8 when off-road.

And if someone plans their off-road adventure so poorly that 25 miles less range would endanger their life, then they are Darwin award nominees.

Besides that, how many people buying 4Runners will be doing extensive off-roading? Not many, I'd guess.
  • Options
    kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    I don't want to start another v6 vs v8 debate, so just a quick question to the v6 users out there...

I plan on buying in the next couple of weeks and am pretty set on the v6. But I spend a lot of my time driving between 70-80 mph. With a 4-speed tranny, will I be running it too high going that fast? How badly will it affect my mpg?

Thanks.
  • Options
    sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Why is there a debate? Both engines are very advanced and good. Choose the engine that best fits your needs and at all costs, take a test drive with both. I choose V8 because I had driven a Runner V6 for many years and wanted power and torque. Seems both new engines in the Runner will provide that solution to my quest. I like the V8 because it is proven.
  • Options
    I run about 2,000 rpm at 65mph.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    On my V6, the mileage drops pretty rapidly going over 65. I think it is more of a wind resistance factor than an engine factor. That is what you get when you buy a 4,500 pound truck. If MPG are a large concern, you can drive slower, or buy smaller. Overall, the V6 will get better mileage than the V8.
  • Options
    The V6 runs about 2000rpm's at 65mph too. I've hit 33mpg on the trip computer. In town with lots of stop and go, I average 17.8-19mpg on the trip computer.
    Assuming the computer is optimistic by a couple mpg's that is still fantastic mileage.
  • Options
    coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    kscottt, the user reports for the V6s and V8s generally indicate about 10% difference in MPG. No surprise there, as the V6 will have less frictional and pumping losses, and it has both variable valve timing and variable intake geometry. It's also about 150 lb lighter and can be operated in 2WD. I don't suspect things will be much different at 75 MPH than they are at 65 MPH in that respect, and RPMs for both versions are similar enough in top gear that the different transmissions won't be a big deal. Remember that lower RPMs (due to taller gearing) will require wider throttle openings, and using taller gearing can actually make mileage worse in some situations.

The bad news is that you might not get very good mileage at 80 MPH with either engine, and the differences between them will probably be smaller due to the dominance of air resistance over engine/transmission factors. The 4Runner is pretty tall and wide, and has wide tires. It also has lots of ground clearance and an aerodynamically "dirty" underside. Air resistance goes up approximately geometrically (not linearly) with speed, and at 80 MPH you're getting into the steeper part of the curve.

If the combination of high speed and mileage is a critical one for you, you might consider one of the car-based SUVs. But if you choose the 4Runner I suspect you'll be as happy as most of us have been.
  • Options
    nbuchanan1nbuchanan1 Member Posts: 1
    This is my second 4Runner and I've now owned my SR5 V8 for almost a year. That's 5 years of problem free driving. No other vehicle I've owned comes anywhere close.

You've been a prolific contributor to this forum for the last year. I find it curious because you don't even own a Toyota, never mind a 4Runner.

What's your agenda?
  • Options
    jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    First, Kscottt, I admit I'm from So. Cal. and I drive 85mph pretty much all the time in my v6, and it is silent and smooth as any car I've been in, no problems at that speed.

v6 vs. v8, here's my one and only thing that made the choice for me. Full time 4wd on the V8! That did it for me, as soon as I saw that, I knew I needed the v6. I've been offroading and mountain driving enough in my life that I know with my previous vehicle as well.. time will wear down your vehicle if you are always in 4wd.. it's a fact. And I say if you don't need the 4wd at any point, turn it off.
  • Options
    In a mix of highway and in-town driving, I get 17-18.5, based on gallons put in divided by miles driven (I don't trust the trip computer).

"Choose the engine that best fits your needs and at all costs, take a test drive with both." Amen. I, too, chose the V8, but both are fine.
  • Options
    grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    I own a 4x2 sport. What kind of terrain can I tackle without getting stuck or get in trouble? I plan to go to some out-of-the-way areas in Mexico where there are only dirt roads. I realize this is a very general question but I have little experience in going off road and I don't know what my 4runner's limits may be.

On a side note, 4runners are now being sold in Mexico! So I will be comfortable taking it down there. They do not negotiate prices at auto dealerships, by the way. The cash price for a 'standard' SR5 V6 4x2 is about $34,000. Ouch!
  • Options
    kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    As a previous owner of a (then) new 4WD Ford Explorer, I found that one of the most troublesome problems with a "part-time" 4WD vehicle is the fact that anyone who drives such a vehicle must thoroughly understand and recognize those situations in which engaging either 4W-high or 4W-low is appropriate and "safe". And when I say "safe", I'm referring to both the MECHANICAL safety of the vehicle's DRIVE TRAIN, as well as safety as it applies to the vehicle's drive characteristics. With the typical part-time 4WD truck, it must be operated in 2W mode under normal, dry-pavement, good "road-traction" driving conditions. In this mode, only the rear drive wheel is powered, and if the vehicle senses slippage of the rear drive wheel for more than a certain amount of time, power is briefly and temporarily transferred to the front drive wheel until slippage of the rear wheel has ceased. After that, power goes back to the rear drive wheel, and this brief and rather crude transfer of engine power may impart a number of rather unsettling shudders, jerks, stuttering propulsive forces, and clanging noises as power is rapidly shifting between fore and aft. Furthermore, part-time, 4WD-"high" or 4WD-"low" should ONLY be selected or engaged when the front and rear drive wheels can SLIP FREELY with respect to one another, since they can't otherwise freely rotate independently, at different RPMs. If this rule is violated by the driver, the front and rear drive wheels will bind-up whenever the vehicle goes from a low traction surface (e.g., wet or icy road conditions, or loose sand/gravel) to a high traction surface such as a dry and solid pavement. While part-time 4WD vehicles with electronic "shift-on-the-fly" controls allow for a driver to easily select between 2W mode and 4W-high mode, the DRIVER of such a vehicle must be CONSTANTLY and UNDISTRACTEDLY aware of the ever-changing surface traction conditions in order to appropriately select and de-select either 4W-high, or 2W modes. Thus, one could encounter a stretch of low-traction surface conditons such as a torrential cloud burst, and a few minutes later, be back on relatively dry pavement. But, has the driver remembered to switch the vehicle back from 4W-high to 2W each time this or a similar change in road conditions has occurred? If this isn't done without fail, and the vehicle is inappropriately left in 4W-high mode on dry pavement, it will, as mentioned, cause the front and rear wheels to bind-up, especially during narrow turns, sharp turns, back-ups, etc. And, if this error is frequently made, it will, at minimum, cause tire scrubbing, tire scalloping, and premature/uneven tire wear; but at worst, it may also cause enormous damage to various components of the drive train, such as the hubs and possibly the transfer case. With all of these cautions in mind, it is easy to appreciate how even you or I might forget to stay ever alert and undistracted as a driver required to function as a sort of on-board, biocomputer in order to keep a part-time 4WD vehicle in just the right traction mode from moment-to-moment! But if that's not enough of a headache, begin to also consider anyone else who might be driving the vehicle, such as a spouse, a teenager, etc. How likely are those drivers to learn, understand, remember, and then consistently implement everything they need to know and apply in order to correctly and safely operate a part-time (and often very expensive) 4WD vehicle? In addition, even if everyone who would be driving a part-time 4WD vehicle knew just what to do, and when, this required level of moment-to-moment decision making and mental multi-tasking would still introduce a very significant potential source of chronic distraction. And for all those times when a part-time 4WD system is operated incorrectly, this just adds to the likelihood that expensive and possibly catastrophic damage is being done.

Before I purchased my V8, AWD, 4Runner Ltd., I logged 47,000 miles on a 2002, V8, "4WD" Explorer, and in my opinion, a high quality AWD system is the clear and superior choice. Your opinions may, of course, differ.
  • Options
    kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the replies.

I too live in LA and go as fast as I can whenever I can (not that traffic allows me).

I'm pretty set on the V6 at this point. I really appreciate all the feedback and input on these forums. Anyone have any last advice before I purchase my V6 Sport 4WD ?
  • Options
    Get the sunroof...
  • Options
    mylasttoyotamylasttoyota Member Posts: 10
    Read the forum on "Sulfur and the 4Runner". Make your dealer sign a document stating "if you smell the sulfur exhaust inside your car at highway speeds, they will buy the vehicle back without question." I bet they won&#146;t sign it because this horrible sulfur smell is normal for the redesigned Toyota. They will tell you to change the type of gas you use, but that doesn&#146;t help one bit. My exhaust smell problem was so bad, the interior permanently smells like rotten eggs.
    Don&#146;t think your going to ride around a trail with back window down. The manual says not to, and this smell will gag you.
    Another thing, don&#146;t believe you will get anything above 19 miles per gallon in the V-6, 4WD. In 15,000 miles, the best I got was 19 driving on 95 from Virginia to Florida. City driving around DC to work I usually get 13 or so MPG. Whoever said 33 highway and 19 city on their trip computer should get get the trip computer serviced. All of the reviews even indicate that the gas mileage is bad due to the vehicles weight.
    Other than the permanent smell of rotten eggs getting in the cabin while driving and the poor mileage, the vehicle is great.
  • Options
    Horrible mileage! You bought a 4Runner that is EPA rated at 15/19 for V8 and 16/19 for V6. What did you expect to get?

If you want high mileage, try the Prius or Corolla.

It amuses me to no end to read about people complaining about the gas mileage in the new Runner. Come on people! It is a truck! With 4WD, with enough room to sleep in, with enough power to tow your bedroom.

Again, what did you expect to get mileage wise?
  • Options
    likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    <<....It amuses me to no end to read about people complaining about the gas mileage in the new Runner. Come on people! It is a truck! With 4WD, with enough room to sleep in, with enough power to tow your bedroom..>>

Exactly!! I'm getting better than the EPA rating, but didn't expect it. My wife's Subaru Forester gets 15% better mileage, and is fairly capable for its intended purpose, but it's not a truck, and feels like it's half the size of the 4Runner. So I'm happy; we're hauling the family to the mountains Friday morning, in this great truck, hoping for snow. Happy Holidays, everyone.
    Larry
  • Options
    maxwell17maxwell17 Member Posts: 6
    I have noticed over the past two days that if I have the heat and a/c off, hot air still blows from the vents. The inside temperature reading for the climate control is blank, the fan is off, and the buttons on the control in the middle for the temperature settings are all off as well. However, the directional 'rotary' on the right has one button lit up as it is impossible to turn this one off. I did notice that if I leave the recirc button on that the hot air stops.

Is this normal?? Yesterday I rode to work with the window down in 28 degree weather since I was burning up. Today I figured out the recirc button solution, but this still doesn't seem like a normal setting.
  • Options
    maxwell17, I think I may know what's going on. This stuff isn't very well explained in the owners manual, but seems to be a consequence of the automatic temperature control. In the 4Runner there is no knob to adjust the temperature of the water going into the heater core. Instead it's set by the same up/down rocker (the center one) that is used to set the desired cabin temperature when in the auto mode.

This temperature setting is not displayed if the fan is off, but it is still in effect. Therefore if you have the circulation on the fresh setting, normal vehicle movement will force some air into the cabin and if the temp setting is high, this air will be hot. This also explains why the hot air stops in the recirc mode.

With the HVAC system in the manual mode, turn on the fan and use the rocker to change the temp setting down. Then you can turn the fan off.

Whether you've got the fan on or not, the HVAC system must be in *some* specific mode (heater, vent, defrost, bi-level, etc.) Therefore the light on the right "rotary" knob will tell you what mode you're in. For this reason, it seems to me that it would be nice to have the temp setting displayed (and adjustable) even when the fan is off, but this is a minor gripe.
  • Options
    Don't know why some folks complain about mileage on these vehicles, because it's entirely appropriate (and better than the competition) for truck-based vehicles of this size.

My experience with a 4WD V6 is, at worst, 15-16 MPG for lots of stop/go with several passengers. About 20 MPG or a little better in mixed driving alone, but this is highly dependent on how much stop/go is included. About 24 MPG or maybe better for all highway at 60-65 MPH. All values are actual, not from the trip computer, which always seems to be about 2 MPG optimistic in these vehicles.

Mileage will probably get significantly worse at higher speeds, and V8s are usually about 10% below these figures.

Of course if you're in all stop/go between endless lights in traffic, your mileage will be terrible. But then again you probably won't have many miles to travel, and what are you doing with this kind of vehicle in that kind of traffic anyway?