Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    I was running hard last night with my Runner. Back window down, side windows down, sunroof open, no sulfur smell. Just a rich smell of burnt gasoline. So, even though I had on rare occasions smelled the sulfur, I believe that after 8000 miles the smell is officially gone. BTW...I run Citgo 93 and Phillips66 93.
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    I've noticed from the many posts on this thread that many of you like the way your 4-Runners ride and handle. I really don't have a good point of reference to compare vehicles, but my 2003 Sport V-8 with X-REAS (an early model) rides like my brother-in-laws F350 truck and is a handful going around corners. There is also considerable bump steer when you go over a rough road. What would cause this, bad shocks, the X-REAS system itself or what?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Have you checked tire pressure? These things are shipped with 45 to 50 pounds of pressure and the dealer is supposed to drop that back but some don't. That would cause the ride you are describing.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    xreas, besides making transition moves more stable, helps prevent bottoming out.
    Sounds like something is wrong with your truck.
    What did you drive before the Runner? Like any 4400 lb vehicle that is tall, you will have some sway and roll when turning. It is not a sports car when compared to sports cars, but the system is 110% better than the set-up I had on my '02 Sport 4x4. I now have the '03 Sport 4x4. So, compared to other SUV's or 'truck' platforms, the new XREAS Runner is definately an improvement.

Have your dealer check for a leak in the pressurized XREAS shocks if you are not comfortable with the ride. Also, check the tire pressure. Toyota recommends 32psi in the Dunflop stock 17inch tire. I pumped mine up to 36psi, which gives better on-road driveability and steering response. Just my $.02
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    Regarding storage drawers, I found out that the website I listed yesterday, www.truckvault.com, was indeed the place my buddy went to outfit his rig. They are located in Sedro Woolley, WA, quite a bit north of Seattle.
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Awhile back someone suggested U-Haul for the correct adapter for the pre-installed round 7-way male plug to the left of the hitch ('03 Sport v8). Thanks for the tip. I ended up buying U-Haul part # 13481, for $14.50. It converts the 7-way round plug to the 4-way flat plug that was already on my trailer. Real quick fix, and works like a charm!!!!
    Larry
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    My '03 4Runner Ltd. is still shopped (waiting on parts to fix the headliner rattle), and I received a call today from my service advisor, and also spoke at length with his team leader. [Please note that so far, I've been very pleased and impressed with the service, professionalism, customer care, and responsiveness of Toyota Direct of New Albany/Columbus, OH. Everyone I've dealt with so far has been very intelligent, personable, enthusiastic, attentive (e.g., they call me regularly to give me an update), and they seem to not only LOVE these vehicles, but they also love to "talk shop"]. At any rate, they have reportedly evaluated and acknowledged the occasional brake pedal vibration/noise issue, and they also reportedly spoke with Toyota service reps. in California and Cincinnati. In brief, I was told that: 1) The Toyota field reps. claimed to be unaware of ANY similar issues with the 4Runner's brakes, nor did they claim to be aware of any service bulletins or service history patterns in which the brake master cylinders were having to be replaced to fix brake pedal vibrations/noises; 2) The team leader told me that in fact, he owns a new 4Runner V8 Sport with the same brakes as my Limited, and that he and his wife have both noticed the same occasional brake pedal vibration, and they too were initially concerned. In addition, he said that he'd be glad to have me drive either his truck or any of the new 4Runner's on their lot, because at this time he believes (both as an owner of a 2003 4Runner as well as a Toyota service team leader) that this occasional brake pedal vibration is in fact a NORMAL characteristic, and that it is due to the fact that this vehicle's brake system is highly complex and relies upon hydraulic PUMPS as well as microprocessors, rather than an older design based on a VACCUUM mechanism. He also opined that replacing the master cylinder was not only unwarranted, but also that it would not change the feel of the brake pedal.

Needless to say, at this point I would appreciate any further advice from those of you with real experience in this area, but I need documentable facts such as an-emailed copy of any service invoices, Toyota service reference numbers, the names of any Toyota field reps. who authorized replacement of your master cylinder (and WHY), etc. Again, I (we) need documention that can be privately shared via e-mail, rather than mere anecdotes and stories that lack any documentation we can provide to a Toyota service shop in order to be credible. Thanks for any help you can provide. At this point, I continue to have good faith in my dealership, but that said, I'm not naive and I want to stay on my toes here.

To bcmalibu: I've been feeding my 4Runner (which now has about 5000 miles) a steady diet of Shell 93 octane fuel, and I can tell you that within the past month or so, there have been only 2-3 occasions so far in which, after pulling my truck into my garage, I've noticed a distinct but still rather faint sulfur odor from the exhaust that was still lingering after she was shut down. So far, I would in no way characterize this odor as anything but "faint" and I would hardly describe it as pungent, rancid, offensive, overwhelming, etc., nor have I yet to smell this odor in the cabin. I've previously posted a few opinions on this topic based on my last SUV, a 2002 V8 Explorer (which produced the sulfur odor far more than my 4Runner has so far) and with that last truck I suspected that the quality of the fuel was likely a big factor. In fact I quickly discovered that quite often, this odor (http://www.swri.edu/10light/catalyst.htm) seemed much less frequent and much less noticeable when I began to consistently AVOID *off-brands* of fuel and began feeding a steady diet of Shell fuel. Other fuel brands I like (if I can't find a Shell station) include Sunoco and Chevron. (Avoid BP). Also, I'm a firm believer in the benefits of adding Chevron Techron to a tank of good quality fuel at about the same time interval as every oil change. At those times (with my previous Explorer) I would empty a 20 oz. bottle of Techron into the tank after the fuel level was below 1/4 tank, and would then top it off with a full tank of good quality fuel. Techron is good stuff, and while I can't prove that it reduces the potential for an engine's cat. convertor to excessively yield a sulfur odor, I also strongly suspect that it might also help in this regard, as well as to help keep the fuel system, injectors, etc. in top condition. In fact, when I get my 4Runner back from the shop (5000 miles), I will add 20 oz. of Techron at her next refueling, and will do so every 5000 miles.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Brake Pedal Vibration:
    2003 SR5 2WD V6
    9-18-03
    Superstition Springs Toyota, Mesa, AZ

Invoice#TOCS144460
    "CUSTOMER STATES BUZZING/VIBRATION FELT AT BRAKE PEDAL".
    ---SOP IN---
    "VIBRATION IN PEDAL AND BUZZING NOISE COMING FROM MASTER CYLINDER".
    "REPLACED BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER OPS CODE 463011 T1-21 T2-83".
    "FP NUMBER 47050-60080 CYLINDER ASSY. BR."

This fixed the buzzing vibration issue but since they put in the new master cylinder, there's a faint and intermittent "pop" or "snap" (can't hear it)in the brake pedal. At the next visit I requested a fix but got a "could not duplicate".

Klaudnyc got his replaced and apparently all is good with his, so maybe he'll chime in on this.

In the mean time, my ride still has a vibration (not brake related) that still hasn't been corrected (wheels balanced 3 times with the GSP9700: 2 toyota dealers and Discount Tire). Still haven't seen the REP since I've been out of town and at this point, I don't know what the cause is because it seems to vary.

Sometimes at idle I feel a mild, throbbing vibration (even in neutral) and then when I get up to about 20mph, I feel a different vibration that seems more wheel/tire related. All I know is that the other three 4runners I drove were smooth as glass. It drives me crazy every day, so I will pursue this to the end.

Also, my 4runner is conspicuously tilted (driver side lower). Service advisor told me the REP said it's because fuel tank is full and is located on left side. Well I'm almost on empty and car is still tilted but almost even. My question is: why would Toyota design it this way when usually there is one person in the vehicle (driver side) that makes it even more tilted? Unless of course it wasn't designed that way???

Also, the seat bottom is loose (was told it's normal) and I have the "engine-ticking noise" but when I open the hood, it sounds like it's coming from the front near the cooling fan, not the valves. I haven't brought this up yet but will when I see the REP.

Needless to say, I'm having a bad experience with my 4runner. Whether this remains the case is up to Toyota. I do like the 4runner a lot but if they can't fix these issues or replace it with another, I won't be a returning customer that's for sure.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    and if Toyota won't fix it, I won't buy it. You got it, Toyota? You've victimized enough hard-working Canadians and Americans with your stinky cars. Fix them up, or else!
  • 4rnr4rnr Member Posts: 25
    My Ltd. V8 4wd. Xreas and rear air susp. build date 02/03 has a lean on the drivers side as well. Shop checked it out and said that it was a sensor for the air suspension that was the problem, after the attempted fix it still leans the same as ever.
    Here are my measurements to the base of the fender flare, on a half tank of gas.
    LF 33 1/4" RF 33 1/2"

LR 36 3/8" RR 36 1/2"
     It would be interesting to know what the numbers are for other 2003/4 4 Runners.
  • erisareperisarep Member Posts: 16
    How do you visually spot a one eighth inch lean. That is amazing.
    I troll through other 4Runner forums. Invariably people will post pics of their new rides. It seems that over 50% of the pics that I have seen have the vehicle leaning to one side. I have noticed a lot of the Runners to be leaning towards the passenger side though, not the drivers side lean as you stated.
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    1/8 inch? this guy should work for NASA!
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Less than a quarter tank of gas.

LF-33" RF-33 1/2"

LR-36" RR-36 1/2"

It doesn't sound like much but when looking from front or back, it's obvious and crappy looking. With me in the driver seat plus a full tank of gas, I'm sure it looks even prettier.

gsj3 and erisarep: perhaps you could offer your numbers as well? If it turns out to be inherent in the design, I won't waste my time trying to get it fixed.

• jfegerjfeger Member Posts: 38
    Kheintz1,
    You stated to avoid BP fuels. I have heard at least one other person say this. I have been using nothing but Shell 93 on my 03 V6 Ltd. I just took a vacation and was forced to use BP for one tank. Interesting thing, on that one tank my MPG went up by 2. It was the 93 octane grade fuel (I forget what state, but maybe NC or SC?). Anyway, I am not saying it was the BP that improved mileage, it might have had to do with the mountain-driving I was doing, but I dont know.

Why do people avoid BP?

Thanks,
    James
    All,
    I have not noticed a lean on my 03 V6 Ltd, but I do NOT have XREAS. Are all the vehicles with the 3 inch lean XREAS equiped?

I will post my numbers tonight when I get home.

-jf
  • icepicicepic Member Posts: 10
    I've actually heard that if you'd like to minimize or eliminate the sulfur problem that BP/Amoco Ultimate is a good option. In certain US cities their premium gas is advertised to have a substantially lower sulfur content. See these links for more information:

http://www.bp.com/faqs/faqs_answer.asp?id=223
    http://www.bp.com/faqs/faqs_answer.asp?id=225
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    I read somewhere crude oil contain large parts of suflfur and the refining process removes most of it. The left over sludge containg all the sulfur is used in industrial or road building.

Until this year when supply from mideast was interrupted. Some suppliers further refined this sludge into gasoline. The Russian mafia is involved distributing to gas station operators without their Corporate parent knowlege.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    So the Rusian Mafia is responsible for stinking up the place ? Fogetaboutit
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    2004 4 Runner SR5 V6 2WD, Bought on Oct03, Built in Aug 03 Tahar Japan.

My 4 Runner also has lean toward driver side..noticeable from 30-50 meters. first i thoght i might be too picky or the parking lot is tilted.

Also Height Adjustment of drivers seat never stay raised. it comes down in 4-5 days...might be some latch not working properly.

I am noticing a mild flur-flur sound from engine which becomes prominent at accleration. it might be due to engine compression getting rich compressed fuel-air mixture.

The sulfur odor is not very bad...i noticed it few times, once when my 4 runner was idle and second after it was stopped. never pulled extra weight, throttled too much or drove harsh...i guess if you can smell it in idle then has nothing to do with pushing it hard. i almost always use 93 octane Chevron but i will try other gases too, BP is world no 1 oil company and i hav'nt tried that but being associated to oil industry i know they are very cautious about quality.

Uptill now i have not done any thing for these problems. but i feel bad that 30 k investment is giving such pbs...i was expecting top notch quality for being 4 runner built in Tahara Japan where they only build lexus.
    I use to speak so high about toyota, shame on them...they let me down.
    Have any of you ever owned a truck before?
    it was done to make exiting them easier. I am not kidding you. That's the explanation some people got from some dealers per NHTSA site. Don't remember if the complaining parties owned leaning 4Runners (I think it was a Wrangler), but you have to be pleased that car makers are so concerned about your comfort while exiting your vehicle!

And yes, the Russian mafia is behind all the stink. They want all of us to drive Russian cars, as they control their production and distribution. Once enough people die of sulfur poisoning driving Japanese and American cars, everyone will start buying Ladas and make the Russian mafia very rich. A very smart plan - you have to admire those Russians!
    Complaints Summary

Make: JEEP
    Model: WRANGLER
    Year: 2003
    Complaint Number: 10026149
    Summary:
    THE DRIVERS SIDE SEAT WAS ANGLED TO THE LEFT. THE CONSUMER CONTACTED THE DEALER TO REPLACE THE SEAT. WHEN THE SEAT WAS REPLACED THE SEAT STILL ANGLED TOT HE LEFT. THE MANUFACTURER CLAIMED THAT THE VEHICLE WAS DESIGNED THIS WAS TO ALLOW THE DRIVER TO ENTER AND EXIT THE VEHICLE EASILY. *AK *NLM *PH

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsear- ch.cfm
    I called up the dealer stating that there was no change in the 4 Runner after the fix, message 8516,he stated that there are tolerances built into each vehicle which can be adjusted. I'm not going to drop this issue but, right now I'll just leave as is and see if things level out as the 4 Runner did sit for a long time on the lot before I purchased it. And no you couldn't spot the problem as the dealerships' lot--- also leans!
    My truck leans to the right. I thought Toyota would have the good sense to keep political viewpoints where they belong....
    Seriously: Only 3000 miles, but no lean, no smell, no rattles, no vibration, no problems at all. I had a car awhile back that came that way, and I was surprised a bit then, too..considering these have thousands of parts, assembled in a very short time, then sent overseas on a ship. Start it up and go!!! Wow! Years ago, I had a brand new '83 Chevy Tahoe (the first new small SUV-I think it even beat Jeep Cherokee to the act). When I got home from the dealership, I made a list of 27 things that needed correction right away, including a driver's window that fell off track and shattered, tailgate that jammed closed the very first time I used it, very crooked steering wheel.....We've either come a long way or I've gotten a lot better at choosing a manufacturer. :-)
    Larry
    My 4Runner's owner's manual is with my truck, which is still at the shop, so I can't refer to the manual right now. However, I have thoroughly read my manuals, and if you look carefully you will see that there's a section that discusses fuel, in which Toyota WARNS against using any fuel known to contain a certain additive (the name and letter abbreviation escapes me), because it may cause damage to the vehicle. The manual does NOT state any specific brands of fuel to avoid, however. That said, I can tell you that before I took delivery of my new '03 4Runner, my dealer thoroughly briefed me on my 4Runner, and an important part of this involved meeting and talking with one of their service advisors while my new truck sat gleaming in the service area. During that meeting and walk-around, I was strongly urged to avoid a certain brand of fuel... I in turn said that I had previously heard about similar concerns from my participations in web-based car/truck discussion boards, and that I was already avoiding that particular brand of fuel with my last truck.

As for the "leaning" issue, I've fortunately not noticed this with my 4Runner.

To Oscarz2: Thanks for the information and follow-up comments regarding the behavior of your truck's brake pedal soon after the master cylinder was replaced. Your observations would seem to support the advice I received from the service "team leader" I previously mentioned in my last post. And by the way, in my last post I forgot to say that this individual also opined that another factor he feels to be a very important consideration is that the vehicle's on-board computers are designed to go through an adaptive learning mode, in which these microprocessors monitor the control inputs/"driving habits" (e.g., braking, acceleration habits, etc.) of how the vehicle is being driven over TIME, and this data is used to subsequently shape and modify the performance characteristics of certain controls, in an effort to best ADAPT to the driver's average driving habits. (This technology is not unique to Toyota, by any means. My previous '02 Explorer had similar "adaptive learning mode" technology, and I can tell you that I was skeptical about these technological claims until my Explorer's battery cables had to disconnected for whatever reason. This resulted in the computer's memory being reset, and once the power was restored, the truck drove very differently from what I'd grown accustomed to, until it relearned my average driving habits). Thus, my Toyota team leader was most probably giving some very good and well-reasoned advice when he suggested that the longer one drives this truck, the more its brakes, idling behaviors, and certain other performance characteristics will tend to settle in, adapt, fine adjust, and smooth out. He urged me to be patient, which I'm not finding at all hard to do at this point, since I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner, and I can't hardly wait to get her back from the shop.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    RE: "and I can tell you that I was skeptical about these technological claims until my Explorer's battery cables had to disconnected for whatever reason. This resulted in the computer's memory being reset, and once the power was restored, the truck drove very differently from what I'd grown accustomed to, until it relearned my average driving habits"

One question. Is there anyway to preserve the memory when the battery is disconnected? Not that I am worried about this scenario now, but for the future.
    Well,
    I decided to measure my 03 V6 Ltd (Non-XREAS).
    I do not have a lean, I am at 36 in back and 35.5 in front - full tank of gas.

Maybe the lean is XREAS related?

-james
  • ckdexterckdexter Member Posts: 12
    The procedure proposed in this URL may answer your question:
    http://www.niehoff.com/techtips/techtip15.html
    Thanks for the info :)
    James, could you possibly post some pics of your 4 Runner? It would be nice to see how a non XREAS Ltd. 'Runner sits.
    I will be glad to post some pics. I actually had a couple I snapped while camping in SC, but those wont be good ones to view. My drive is angled, but I should be able to find a flat surface to snap a few off. Forgive me for the older digital cam I will be using. ;)

-James
  • amheckamheck Member Posts: 37
    Here's a pic of my 4runner which has an extreme case of leaning! :)

http://www.aaronheck.com/pics/4runner_lean.jpg

Aaron
  • baki44baki44 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 04 model 4Runner and I don't like tail lights color (very pink) is any one know where can I find Euro tail lights also what is the best way the taking care of the Dash board? Black plastic dash has very faded color.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    I am picking up my 4 runner today(04 limited 4x4 v6). I was just wondering if anybody knows if people are still having the same problems (sulfur, leaning, sunroof rattle and etc.) with the 2004 model as they had with the 2003's?
    Let us know. :)
    Honestly, I think I have seen a few 04 owners mention the sulphur smell, but I think those were v8's. I am not sure if anyone has had a confirmed 04 V6 sulphur attack.
    baki44 wrote:
    "Black plastic dash has very faded color. "

That's because it's dark grey, not black.
    I wonder how Toyota let that one slip by! :))
  • baki44baki44 Member Posts: 24
    Ok, it's dark grey but still very faded look, do you know what I can use on the dash???
    Lexol spray bottle from pep boys or anywhere works good.
    If you want it shiny, I will not recommend anything except a head exam! ;)
    Alfster: Good question. I don't know the answer, nor do I know if the 4Runner's computer has a memory that is as volatile as the Explorer's was. I'll ask about this next time I'm at my dealer's shop, which hopefully won't be for another 5000 miles.

Baki44: I would suggest that you treat your dash, as well as any interior leather and vinyl, with Zaino's Leather In A Bottle. This stuff doesn't just condition and protect leather-- it's also highly effective for dashes, etc. And unlike silicon-based products like Armor-All, it doesn't cause or promote drying and cracking of plastic and vinyl, nor is it volatile like those types of products, so it won't fog and foul the interior glass.

Just received my '03 4Runner Ltd. back from the shop, and they did an excellent job. No more headliner/sunroof noise, and even more importantly, no more squeaks, buzzes, and rattles from the DVD/Nav. module. My truck is now very, very quiet, and that's a beautiful thing. If any of you are experiencing similar noises from your DVD/Nav (I believe I've so far been the only member to report this problem), here is what my service invoice says: "Verify noise, called tech support and removed center console and radio controls and insulate around trim panels, and reassemble. WAR CD: 743991 1.0 91-43" Thus, tech support seems to be aware of this problem, and there is obviously a warranty fix available.

I'm so glad to be back in my 4Runner after driving a Sequoia SR5 for the past 5 days, but I'm not really complaining, since the Sequoia loaner beat the heck out of driving a Camry loaner!

News Flash: Toyota Surpasses Ford: http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/031113/1/edste.html I first heard this story on NPR, which also reported that Toyota's sales for 2003 were up 5% so far this year, while Ford has slumped by 5%.
    Did someone mention awhile back that the windshield has a special coating? (My manual points out a anti-droplet coating on the rearview mirrors). The reason I ask: On intermittent setting, the front wipers make a fuss about swiping the windshield. They start with a ratcheting, skipping action. Maybe the windshield has wax, maybe it's too clean......maybe the blades are aged..any ideas? I would try wax remover, but don't want to remove any "coating".
    Larry
    Larry,
    I am in a similar situation. I dont have the skipping or ratcheting, but I do get a smeared effect when the wipers go. When I got the Runner, the wipers worked perfect, around 3K miles I started noticing a a smeared effect, making it difficult to see through the windshield at times. I have used glass cleaner and rubbed the windshield clean, but it still streaks. ALmos like a film has built-up on the glass or the wipers are already needing replaced.

PS - I wish the dang thing had a "Mist" feature. Every car I have ever owned had an option were you tug the wiper control and it runs the blades over the glass for one pass. This is an excellent feature for highway driving when its not raining, but the roads are wet. Why doesnt the 4Runner have this? I know Toyota offers it, I think I saw it on al older 4Runner even. (maybe?)

-James
  • 4rnnr4rnnr Member Posts: 1
    on my new 4runner, have noticed what seems to be aux stop lights located on left & right sides of my rear bumper. I believe these are used in Europe, and have seen these used on other makes here in the states. The housings are sealed, but do have a moulded area on back that must have been used for lamp socket. I have been trying to locate a part# or any reference to these lights and am having no luck. Any suggestions?

P.S. Larry & James...found in my owner's manual that my '03 windshield is treated with "Rain-X"..might be causing your streaking.
    Mark
  • nsantosnsantos Member Posts: 10
    does anybody know if the 4 runner is manufactured in japan or usa? thank you
    The 4Runner is made in Japan, on the same assembly line as the Lexus GX470
    The 03-04 4Runner does have a misting feature, actuated by tugging back on the right control stick.
    To achieve a single pass of the wiper blades, I simply push the wiper control stalk down to the intermittent setting, then bring it right back up to the "off" position. This simple maneuver will result in an immediate, SINGLE pass wipe, and it is nearly as effortless and convenient as the pull-type feature you referred to.

When my '03 4Runner was new, for the first couple of weeks its windshield wipers jumped, skipped, stuttered, chattered, streaked, and generally drove me nuts. There was clearly some type of obnoxious anti-wetting or water repellent compound that had been applied to the windshield, which soon wore off over several hand washings (Zaino), as well as ongoing exposure to rain, which tends to be rather acidic. At any rate, my wipers soon settled in and began working just fine, without any further skipping, squeaking, etc. Also, rubber wiper blades should be regularly cleaned/wiped down with isopropyl alcohol in order to remove accumulated road grime and road oils, since these contaminants are a major cause of worsening performance with wipers that are not otherwise in need of being replaced. (A good set of wipers should last 3-6 months, although I do prefer winter blades during winter months). One strategy I use is to keep a plastic box of "Cottonelle Fresh" disposable hand wipes in my truck. (Refill packages of these wipes are inexpensive, and can be found at most grocery stores, drug stores, etc.) I further moisten these hand wipes with 70% isopropyl alcohol, and I always keep a box of them in my center armrest console to use for everything from wiping skin oils off my face (very refreshing on long trips, etc.); to cleaning up small spills; to cleaning kids' hands and faces; to cleaning my wiper blades! (I wouldn't recommend using these wipes to clean eye glasses, nor to clean the lenses of your instrument guages).

If your exterior or interior windshield seems to be contaminited with some sort of stubborn residue that isn't being removed by standard cleaning methods, try Zaino's glass cleaning compound. And, if your wipers continue to streak despite cleaning them with alcohol, then they may, of course, need to be replaced, even if they are relatively new. Finally, I'll mention that while I'm fortunate to have a local automated car wash that seems very gentle and friendly on my truck's finish (a Godsend during the winter), it is not a good idea to ever request any sort of "wax" treatment, since this wax will contaminate the windshield glass. And even when you request "no wax!" there is probably still plenty of waxy liquid remaining in the water lines when your vehicle transits the car wash, so some contamination is still a real possibility. Even then, though, this stuff usually wears off fairly quickly.