Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    Is this the only difference? So if I was to buy the "lifetime fluid" would I ever have to worry about checking it?

I have an'03 V8 with the dipstick.
  • Options
    bmc5bmc5 Member Posts: 16
    I just purchased an '03 4Runner LTD V8 and had a quick question. I was curious to know what current '03 owners are using to clean the inside front dash and other interior areas of the vehicle. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  • Options
    3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    Is this the only difference? So if I was to buy the "lifetime fluid" would I ever have to worry about checking it?

Good question for the tech. My guess would be there's more going on than just putting in lifetime fluid. Perhaps different seals are involved. Didn't think of asking, but I'm more than comfortable checking/swapping out the fluid per the owner's manual on my '03. Call me old school.
  • Options
    coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Sounds like we (especially including me) need to be careful about assuming we know all the things that changed from the '03 to '04 models. The hitch receivers may have changed, and perhaps now even the 7000 lb. rated one can be mounted with only 2 bolts. That would be cheaper and simpler for Toyota than the much larger mount for the heavier hitch I saw last year. Same thing ('03/'04 changes) may hold for the oil cooler in the V6. It was the same on the V6s and V8s last model year, but perhaps it's changed now.

Concerning the lifetime oil and lack of dipstick, this may not be a very big change. IIRC, my dipstick says that the transmission oil does not need to be changed for the lifetime of the vehicle in normal service. It could simply be that once you have temperature and slippage monitoring of the transmission, you can depend on the computer to tell you if something is wrong. You can omit the dipstick and save some money and labor.
  • Options
    rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    My old strategy toward fluids is that if you can replace them, replace them. If you can't, don't. :)

Seriously, transmission fluid can be judged in part by its color. If your lifetime fluid gets dark (from overheating during towing or hill-climbing or whatever) instead of it's normal color, it might be advisable to exchange it with new fluid. Don't pull the pan and replace what is in the pan, but allow the transmission to refill itself by pressure through the transmission cooler lines so that all the fluid is replaced.

Replacing all the fluid through the cooler lines prevents you from mixing fluid types which is probably a bad idea. Also, you don't disturb the pan gasket and (since you don't have a dipstick to check the level) you only put in as much fluid as was in there in the first place and can't under- or over-fill it.
  • Options
    I wasn't really wanting to change the oil in the trans, I was just curious if that was the only change to the transmission was the deletion of the dipstick.

Cleaning products for interior:

Be very careful what you use to clean the interior surfaces. Apparently some cleaners will ruin/discolor the soft plastics. I believe Vinylex or something like that is safe
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Are they standard on 04 4runner ? If not, should I get one installed for towing a 3000 pound boat ?
  • Options
    I believe that all vehicles with automatic transmissions have some form of transmission oil cooler. Your 4Runner definitely has one. Aftermarket ones for additional cooling are just much more efficient than the standard type.

Towing the boat on level ground on the highway probably wouldn't require anything other than the standard system. The more hilly the terrain you tow over, the more you need an aftermarket oil cooler.

If your transmission overheat light comes on, I would definitely get one. If it doesn't, then I would base it on the judgement of the terrain you tow over.

IMHO, if I towed often, I would get a cooler installed just for my own peace of mind. You should investigate the quality of the transmission oil cooler that comes standard on your vehicle and see if it will stand the load, frequency of towing, and terrain you plan to tow with your truck.
  • Options
    714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    There is a cooler on the 4runner. Also 3000 lbs. is not a huge load for this vehicle. Should be no problem. I've towed my 5000 lb. boat in hot weather with varying terrain no problem.
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    That is exactly the problem. I guess this was Toyota's first stab at making a trailer hitch.
    Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    There may be different transmission oil coolers on the V6 and V8 transmission.
  • Options
    glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks toyboy for the reassurance on the ATF dipstick, as to there not being one. What i noticed on a short trip, about 800 miles, was my 04 V8 runner is a pretty nice car for the road.I did discover a slight wind lead at the front top of the passenger door when the wind was blowing from the side. Also when coming back across eastern colorado at about 6000 feet elevation with the cruise control on at about 68 mph,2000 rpm,when i would encounter a hill and the transmission would down shift to 4th, than as i leveled off again and the trans shifted back to 5th the torque converter would not lock back up,i.e.now at my set speed the engine would be at about 2200 rpm. If i turned the cruise off than back on and reset my speed to 68 mph as before the torque converter would lock back up as it should. anyone else ever notice this with your 4 runner? You have to really be paying attention to the rpms to notice this.I wonder if this is inherrant to the 5speed or if i have a problem?
  • Options
    sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    he sayes he towed a porchse with old 183 cu in toyota was no sweat, i wonder what mineshaft he was going down?
  • Options
    dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    Go to autobarn.com and look in the left hand column. They have all types of products. I use a dilution of 70/30 Simple Green and warm water. It works good without being too harsh.
  • Options
    gilmore00agilmore00a Member Posts: 1
    I'm ready to buy a 2004 4Runner but need help resolving some confusion on the type of fuel required. The Toyota site indicates that the V6 will give "improved performance" if 91 octane premium is used. Does that mean... better mileage, less engine knock, better acceleration? So far it's a mystery to the dealer and to Toyota's customer service folks. Any help answering this question is appreciated. Also does the same apply to the V8? Thanks
  • Options
    Since I haven't tried it myself on this vehicle, I can only state that using lower than optimum octane gasoline in a vehicle with a knock sensor will reduce gas mileage and power owing to the retarding of the ignition timing to prevent preignition.
  • Options
    bmc5bmc5 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone used the various products from Zaino Brothers? If so,
    can you let me know what you have used on the exterior and interior areas.
    I have an '03 4Runner LTD V8 and want to keep it looking great.
    I heard they make great products and want to be sure to get more info before I give the "runner" it's first detailing inside & out.
    Thanks
  • Options
    vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Okay, had my first towing experience with my '03 V8 yesterday. 1800lbs empty trailer weight. When towing like the empty trailer, it almost felt as if it wasn't there. It definitely transmitted more bumps and affected ride quality, though.

Add (I'm guessing) 700lbs of furniture, and I could definitely feel it being a bit slower, though it never felt strained.

Interesting, I got pretty decent gas mileage even towing the trailer. Trip computer claimed about 16.5, which means it's probably really 15 or so. Not much worse than without a trailer, however, there are other possible reasons for this. Most of my towing was highway miles. I used mid-grade instead of regular gas. I also may have been less of a leadfoot when towing.

I know my vehicle has an auxiliary transmission cooler. It's like a mini-radiator in front of the main radiator, if you want to look for it.
  • Options
    goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    bmc5, do a search of this board for the word Zaino. There's at least one strong proponent on this board, and that person wrote up a detailed message regarding Zaino products a few months ago.
  • Options
    gilmore00a, with premium fuel you get slightly more (the full advertised) horsepower and slightly worse mileage. There is actually a little less energy per gallon in premium. The engine uses its knock sensor and adapts to the fuel grade, so this is not an engine damage issue. Just a matter of cost vs. horsepower.

The V6 has a slightly higher compression ratio, so the horsepower difference between fuel grades should be slightly greater than with the V8, but these are small differences. For more, do a search of this discussion--you'll get lots of hits.

As for the Zaino products bmc5, I like the "wax" a lot. Much more long-lasting than traditional waxes, and easy to apply. Check out the Zaino discussion in the Maintenance & Repair area here at Edmunds.com
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • Options
    grapevinetxgrapevinetx Member Posts: 89
    I'll be glad to be told that I'm wrong on this, but I'm not aware that the so-called "life-time" automatic transmission fluid is actually a different formulation than what we have been using all along. Trend in recent years has been for owners manuals to go to very long drain intervals on auto trans fluid. Followed shortly thereafter by auto trans dipsticks being eliminated as a manufacturer cost-cutting measure. Agree with rogers12 that the status of auto trans fluid can be evaluated visually, at least in part, but now I have to drop the trans pan to get a look. So, has my auto trans fluid really been improved and no longer needs changing much if ever, or is the fluid still going to wear but I'm not going to know about it until the trans croaks completely? Certainly I can depend on the computer to tell me if a major transmission failure has occurred (other things might tell me too :-)), but I'm not so sure that the computer can tell me that the trans fluid is a little burnt and that if I change it now the trans might not croak at all.
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    It was supposedly checked at my 15 K mile service. I have an 03 with a dipstick. They also supposedly changed the differential fluid. I was charged for both may be more accurate.
  • Options
    If the vehicle's timing is retarded by using 87 octane gasoline, then your mileage will improve by using premium. Advanced timing that results from the higher octane gas gives more power and better gas mileage. The only time you will not see an increase in mileage by switching is if you didn't need the premium fuel in the first place.

Measuring an increase in gas mileage is one way of telling that your timing was retarded and you needed the higher octane fuel in the first place. The mileage increase seen by allowing the engine to run at a more advanced timing setting more than overcomes any small difference in fuel content between premium and regular.

Furthermore, there are greater differences between brands of gasoline than there are differences between fuel content in premium and regular gas from the same dealer.
  • Options
    glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    I HAVE AN 04 SR5 V8 RUNNER WITH 17INCH ALUM RIMS AND 265 65 17 BRIDGESTONE TIRES. AM PLANNING A TRIP TO ALASKA AND AM INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A SPARE RIM AND TIRE, PROBABLY FROM A SALVAGE YARD.
    MY QUESTION IS DID THE 03 RUNNER HAVE A LOW TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR AS THE 04 DOES,IF SO I CAN LOOK FOR AN 03 OR 04 RIM AND TIRE WHICH SHOULD MAKE THE HUNT MUCH EASIER.THE 17 INCH RIMS ARE THE SR5 OPTIONAL 5 SPOKES WHICH ARE THE SAME AS A LIMITED.
    THANKS.
  • Options
    Sorry to say, glb5, but you will have to narrow your search to just '04's. My '03 has no tire pressure monitoring system :-(
  • Options
    woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    sensors are mounted inside the rim and emit a radio frequency to the onboard computer, and signal a lamp when one of the 5 tires is below a certain air pressure. You can purchase either a grommet kit and move the tire pressure assembly, or you can purchase a new sensor assembly. I plan to buy steel rims for winter tires for my 04 4Runner and will ignore the lamp from non-sensored equipped rims. More details are in your manual.
  • Options
    smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    Im still willing to wait to buy my new SUV for a few reasons:

1) I need to see Toyota keep up with almost all other competitors regarding options in the 4runners. There is no reason that I shouldnt be able to get a 4runner with NAV, 3rd row seats, DVD system, etc. Its silly that the Toyota engineers couldnt figure out solutions to these roadblocks.

2) Ive seen photos of the 05 Pathfinder and the truck looks hot! I think it looks better than the 4runner AND it will have roomy 3rd row, NAV, DVD, etc.
    Here is the link: http://www.infinitihelp.com/Nissan/Models/2005/Pathfinder/Photos.- htm

3) Toyota would be my 1st choice, but not if they fall behind with what consumers are now looking for in an SUV.

4) I doubt that they will do a design makeover for 05, but at least LOAD it up!!!

Any comments/suggestions are always welcome........
  • Options
    slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    Man, you are still stuck on that 3rd row with no nav. Call around to some dealers and see what is in the works for next year.
  • Options
    beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    smg1062: Couldn't agree with you more. My main beef is Toyota isn't allocating their SR5 model with side curtain airbags to Northern California (according to Toyota's website). Like you, the 4runner is my #1 choice and I am holding out hope for 2005; however, if Toyota won't build it the way I want it, I will be looking at the new Pathfinder in 2005. I am not going to wait forever.
  • Options
    yabedudeyabedude Member Posts: 26
    A few weeks after I purchased an end-of-the-year '03 Sport, I was at the dealer and looked at the '04 4Runner with the 3rd row seats installed. In my opinion, it's only viable for a couple of kids to be sitting on as the seat is literally on the floor. I can't imagine what other use the 3rd row would have. It seemed as if it would be quite difficult for a passenger to get in and out of, plus most of the rear cargo bay storage room is lost. Are you certain a mid-size SUV is the way to go when requiring 3rd row seats?

Chris
  • Options
    whitney8whitney8 Member Posts: 31
    I agree with yabedude. Judging from what I have seen, the 3rd row in the 4R is not very useful.

Love the 4R for what it is, if you need that much seating, you should be looking at the Sequoia.

BTW I think that 05 Pathfinder is UGLY, just like that Amarda!!! I checked out the Amarda at the auto show, and everything on it seemed VERY cheap, the controls, door handles, everything.
    Just my .02
  • Options
    smg1062, you're the kind of customer that must drive Toyota product planners nuts. My guess is they want to keep the 4Runner mid-sized and more off-road capable. You want something bigger, with more features. They'd like you to try the Sequoia, but I suspect you don't like that one for some reason. Have you considered the Lexus 470?

As long as we're talking opinions, I'll chime in with beanctr and gripe about the fact that Toyota seems to offer the side airbags on SR5s in only some regions--not mine. And I'll second whitney8 and agree that the Armada and next-gen pathfinder look too blocky and tacky for me. If you need a daily driver and sometimes have to tackle the city, and still want the ability to tow and go just about anywhere, the 4Runner seems to be just the right size. It seats 5 adults just fine, and I don't want to have to (every day) wrestle around a vehicle of the size necessary to seat more than that.

My opinions only, of course. It's just that I'd hate to see them dilute or bloat the 4Runner to serve those who should really be considering other vehicles.
  • Options
    It's getting a little porky as it is in this new generation :)
  • Options
    I personally have no use for a 3rd row rear seat. I haven't looked at a 4Runner with a 3rd row seat, but I would imagine it is very near the rear hatch. This may expose 3rd seat occupants to injury in rear end colissions.
       I bought my 4Runner to go off road, it could loose some weight. And the remote could be a little louder than tweety bird.
  • Options
    don't tear yourself up, get the pathfinder or something that fits your needs.

The 4Runner is perfect.
  • Options
    bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    I am thinking to get a new 4Runner. What are the pros and cons of having one? Are there advantages, disadvantages and what are they?
  • Options
    smf42smf42 Member Posts: 6
    I live in SW Ohio and am considering buying my 4 Runner in Indiana just across the OH border. Is there anything I should look out for when buying outside of my home state (i.e. hidden charges, fees, etc.)? The dealer says he can beat any price...that alone worries me a little;)

Thanks for any input!
  • Options
    bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    Check to see if lemon laws apply.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Those apply by the state you title the vehicle, not the one where you buy it.
  • Options
    There are two people who get in on time every morning. The other guy drives a TRD Tundra
    4WD. I have my 4Runner. The guy with the X-5 Bimmer has yet to show up this week. We are going to tell him "It's just for show.".
  • Options
    LOL. My Tundra is responsible for me picking up a lot of slack this week. I was the only one here yesterday in finance and I'll probably be the only one here after 4 this afternoon.
  • Options
    I am with you and Pat84. Here in LA, me and my '90 4Rnr, and my wife and her '03 4Rnr, will easily navigate the 15 to 20 minute drive thru our bone chillin', upper 60 degree wind-chilled commutes. Thank heavens for A/C.
  • Options
    Twit. ;)

Just kidding. I'm an LA native and I don't miss it. Even on mornings like this when I had to defrost the Tundra for 20 minutes to get the layer of ice off it, I still prefer this to the mess of the LA basin.
  • Options
    Yeah, you've got that right - the basin is not the prettiest of places. In some ways, I wish I had the challenges of snowy conditions. I grew up in Minnesota, and the snowdrifts would be a great way to treat the 4Runner and its great capabilities. Just don't need seven months a year of the stuff.
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If you really need a third row, then you might want to consider a larger truck. The 3rd row seats in the 4Runner are pretty useless.
  • Options
    link4link4 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of things to research when buying out of state. Back in 1993 I bought a car in RI to be registered in MA. I had a trade in and the deal went without a hitch. Based on that experience, I bought an 03 4runner v8 ltd in NY to be registered in MA. BIG PROBLEMS!!! I'm not sure any of these issues will plague you, but I got hit with two gotcha's: 1) MA would not recognize the NY dealer and therefore not subtract the trade in from my bottom line price (for sales tax purposes) and 2)MA viewed my deal as a casual transaction, which meant that the actual gross selling price of $34,900 was not considered for sales tax purposes-- instead they pulled $38k out of the air. In short I got nailed twice-- the gross sales price was over 3k more than my gross receipt and there was no subtraction of my trade in. I don't know if this is a common issue, but I was surprised. Do your homework-- I am appealing the tax, but am not optimistic-
  • Options
    slarryslarry Member Posts: 19
    Like a couple of others I will be patient and wait the arrival of the 05 4-Runner (only 7 months). I believe being the 3rd year into production many of the problems will be solved. The 3rd yr models seems to be the best, after that up grades are mostly cosmetic changes. I have been following the 4R boards for some time and they have been very benifical. Many of the problems I first read about such as sunroof & seat rattles seem to have disappeared. There are occasionally people who complain but then disappear. This is the only vehicle I am considering. I do have the decision to make on V8 or V6 and wonder if any of you who have the V6 wishes for the V8 or vice versa. I will not be towing anything. I test drove a V6 and thought it was excellent. They had sold the last remaining V8 that evening so I didn't get a test drive. I have been sitting on the fence on this and decided to wait.
  • Options
    terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    V6/V8 is a hot topic.
    I have the V6 and love it, even after test driving the V8.
    No complaints or problems and the truck has been stellar all around.

As for the new Pathfinder, it looks cheap and alot like a Ford Explorer or new Dodge suv. The rear suspension is just like the Explorer meaning it is basically a minivan now. That's good for the soccer mom crowd but not for real suv owners. I'm really glad I have the 4Runner.
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Bought my V8 4X4 today. Discovered the rear seat bottom cushion doesn't lock in place. This runner has the port installed leather option, maybe they screwed up something during the installation.

oh......the sulfur smell. I got it the minute I stepped out of the truck after taking it home. How many people here have the sulfur smell , how many don't ? Is it just the V8, how about the V6 ?