Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    5thgearpinned5thgearpinned Member Posts: 7
    From what I here this is what the '03 4Runner will be based on (or should I say that's what the Lexus is based on). The Lexus looked great. It did have 3rd. row seats, however you could not see the details i.e. dash, seats... The new 4Runner will continue to be a hit, I just wish toyota would give us a date.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I have not heard anything official since last fall when I was told the '03 would be out in "early spring '02". Two days ago, I asked the owner of this dealership if she had heard anything and she said it would most likely be in October. Based on the fact that we still have many '02 Runners in the allocation pipeline, I doubt we will see the '03 within the next few months.

On another note, whoever posted the link to the Toyota site with the information on the GX470... good job. I am 99.9% sure that this is the Lexus version of the '03 Runner. Everything there is consistent with what I have heard about it.
  • Options
    shreddedshoeshreddedshoe Member Posts: 34
    cliffy1: How do you think the availability of the '02 runners will be come late summer, early fall? I'll be looking to buy then and I'm a little concerned with the '03s coming out.
    The '03s are still supposed to be truck based, correct?
  • Options
    peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Cliffy1, I was one of the ones that posted the Toyota site with the Lexus GX 470. It is interesting that you think that it may be the new 2003 4Runner. The site had some actual specs and they were not that far off from the 4Runner. About 4 1/2" longer wheelbase and 5" longer and about 500 pounds heavier, (that's with a V8). I would also bet that the new 4Runner will have a base V6 and a optional V8. I have not heard any rumors, but it makes sense to have a V6 in the Toyota SUV line up, along with the Highlander. I guess we will wait and see. Here is the site again:

http://toyota.com/html/about/news/archive/press_release/product/docs/2002/20020106a_gx470.jsp
  • Options
    I read that link with great interest. The description is that it will be a body on frame with emphasis on towing and ruggedness. It will have a 3rd row available and will come with a V8 engine. All of which is consistent with the 4Runner. I can't imagine that Toyota would have two different SUVs matching this description, hence, my opinion that the GX470 is the new Runner.

I am sure that the Toyota version will not come with all the amenities that the Lexus has and, like you, suspect there will be two engines available.

Shreddedshoe: I don't know how to predict product availability on the '02 this summer. If (and this is still a big "if") the '03 is due for release in October, the availability of the '02 will depend on how the '03 will be priced. If Toyota's normal pattern holds and the price will remain the same or go down, they will bleed us dry of '02 inventory a full month before the new ones come out. In this case, we may experience severe product shortages over the summer.

If prices are going up, they will probably dump a pile of them on us late in the model year. Don't ask me why they do this, but that is the pattern I have seen over the past 8 years with Toyota.
  • Options
    shreddedshoeshreddedshoe Member Posts: 34
    Thanks. I guess I just have to cross my fingers and hope that I will be ready a little sooner than later.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    they sell a mid-size SUV called the Land Cruiser Prado. it has the IFS and the 3.4L V6 (among other engine options) from our 4Runner, but has a boxier body, somewhat like the Trooper. This LC Prado, in the UK, is sold as the Land Cruiser Colorado.

I'm sure this is also part of this platform too. if you visit any of Toyota's other international sites, you'll see what I'm talking about. What they show is the current model, not the new (next) version based of the new Lexus GX 470. That hasn't been released yet.

Bob
  • Options
    buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    My dealer confirms that the new 4 Runner will be out in late March. That is why on all the dealers web sites, the 4 Runner has been removed from the "virtual showroom."

Expect an optional V8 and an optional 3rd seat. The vehicle will be a little longer and wider. Expect the MSRP to jump about $3000.00
  • Options
    fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Anyone have these covers? Are they worth the $$

Thanks..
  • Options
    jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    Wonder if the new 4Runner will have the Downhill Assist Control that the new Lexus 470 sports.

I am hoping for it. Right now the only other vehicles I know of that have this feature are the Range Rovers. It is available on Range Rover's cheapest vehicle, the Freelander which starts at 25k. Hopefully this will give Toyota incentive to add this feature on the 4Runner.
  • Options
    austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    anyone have any experience or know anyone that has bought a 4runner in Canada and brought it back over to the US?

TIA
  • Options
    jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I know that the Toyota site lists that the GX470 will be midsize, but at a weight of 4600 pounds, isn't that stretching the definition of midsize a bit? If it's almost 1000 pounds heavier than the current 4Runner, how much larger will this "midsize" be? If this is what the new 4Runner will be, I wonder how many people will trade in their old ones for such a large vehicle (plus, doesn't this conflict with Toyota's SUV philosophy of keeping them distinct from each other? The GX470 sounds more like a smaller Sequoia).
  • Options
    austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    anyone have any experience or know anyone that has bought a 4runner in Canada and brought it back over to the US?

TIA
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    outside the USA is an "iffy" situation. There may(?) be some things that you have to change to meet U.S. specifications, such as the speedometer (Canada uses kilometers). Also, don't expect American Toyota dealers to honor the Canadian warranty, if problems should arise.

Bob
  • Options
    On another board, I saw a posting from "DOUS" and he took some pictures of the GX 470 and some talk about the possibility of it being the new 4Runner. Look for the "Dous" post from 1/13/02. Two of his eight shots were of the interior.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=94&t=000724

• Options
    rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    That is VERY INTERESTING! Wow, that would really explain a few things about the new Runner! Thanks for the article.
  • Options
    ron200ron200 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 4Runner that lately making rattle or squeaky noise from the passenger side of the dashboard. I took to the dealer and they said they would charge me $100 if they could not find the problem even though my car is still under warranty.

I was thinking about taking my car to another Toyota dealer. Before I do that I want to find out if it is difficult to take out the dashboard and how to do it. I want to see if I can pinpoint exactly where the noise coming from.

Any suggestion would be appreciate.
  • Options
    rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    From a *very* reliable source (Jim Press, EVP Toyota Motor Sales), a presentation which included a video of the new 4Runner, I can say that it definitely will have a V-8, 3rd seat and be out for the 2004 (not 2003) model year, which starts in the fall of 2003.

It will be based on the GX470 like the Highlander is based on the RX300; same guts but different skin. It does somewhat resemble the GX470 in shape. (My impressions)

I don't have any other information, like price, weight, HP, etc. I expect that it will not have many of the premium options that the GX470 will have, but I expect the price to be lower also.
  • Options
    Really?

That long until we get a new 4Runner? That just doesn't seem right to me...I mean it was orginally due for a complete redesign in model year 02, now we have to wait until 04??

I have heard so many different stories as to when it will be.....from as early as March (see post 1008) to as late as Fall 03.

Cliffy, you stated you thought this Fall would bring the new 4Runner....this still your opinion??

I am really in a difficult situation. I would go ahead and get a 02 4Runner now if the new ones don't come out until 04' model year, however if they come out earlier then I definitely want to wait and grab a new one.....Any suggestions guys??

Thanks
  • Options
    I'm sticking with an October release date for now. I asked our inventory manager about this yesterday and he seemed pretty confident that we would see them this coming fall as a 2003 model year.
  • Options
    Cofirmed again!!! New 4 Runner will be here in 2 months. Look for the inventory of the current generation to dwindle over the next 6 weeks.
  • Options
    I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. For that to be true, Toyota would allocate them in February. When a new model comes out, we normally get model and option data a few weeks before allocation so we can prepare our "preference bank". We have received no such information.

That does not mean you are wrong. It means that unless we see something in the next two to three weeks, Toyota isn't sending them that soon.
  • Options
    You have to do like I did, and make a decision on what you want out of the 4 Runner. Do you want a larger 4 Runner, with a V8 and most likely lower MPG? I didn't. Do you want what is possibly a larger 4 Runner? I didn't, I think the 4 Runner is large enough. So I went with the 2002 4 Runner, and I'm glad I did. I bought a new car in it's first year and I will never do that again. The 4 Runner as we know it now, is as refine as this style 4 Runner is going to get.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Cliffy1, you will definitely see it happen within the next 2-4 weeks....
  • Options
    intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Question: does the '02 4Runner 4WD have a 4-channel ABS or 3-channel?? (Prior to ATRAC, it used to have 3-channel.) However, with ATRAC, don't you NEED 4-channel to INDIVIDUALLY control the rear brakes??

Also, what is the size of the rear axle?? Is it the same on the Tacoma?? And how different is it from a Land Cruiser?? Thanks.
  • Options
    bshenbshen Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this community. I am sure this question has been discussed before.
    Can anyone explain why carsdirect.com's 2002 4 Runner base modal is priced only $23000 while dealer price is more than 28000 ? And the 1 year old used car is priced about 20000 ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jan 15th: Imports vs. Domestics: Is there a quality gap?

• Options
    Add the options. Every Runner shipped comes with a variety of options that add to the price. The Carsdirect price you are looking at probably does not have any options on it.
  • Options
    bshenbshen Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this community. I am sure this question has been discussed before.
    Can anyone explain why carsdirect.com's 2002 4 Runner base modal is priced only $23000 while dealer price is more than 28000 ? And the 1 year old used car is priced about 20000 ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Odds are you're building the car without the options Toyota is shipping them with.
  • Options
    Maybe I missed your earlier post......but what makes you so confident that the new 4Runner will be hitting dealerships so soon.

I sure wish it was the case, just don't see it happening.....

Thanks
  • Options
    Sound like to me you are looking at the 2WD 4 Runner, that is about the base price for them. The 4WD base price is around $28,000.
  • Options
    steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    I generally agree that you shouldn't buy a new vehicle in its first year. I have been very satisfied with my two Explorers ('93 and '96) but I would never buy a Ford in the first year of production. I might be more flexible with a Toyota. With that said, I will be in the market for a new SUV this summer and right now am considering a 2003 Explorer (2nd year) and a 2003 4Runner (1st year, if it is available). What do you (or anyone else) think? Thanks.
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Here are my 2 cents (although it may not be worth that much) :)

As far as a first year production Toyota: I also don't believe in buying first year models. However, my main concerns come with new engines, transmissions, and 4WD systems. If these are carry overs from the current version 4Runner or another Toyota product (V8 from the Sequoia?), I would be a lot more inclined to buy the first year 4Runner. If any of these are new, I don't know.

Now even though I would be reluctant to buy a first year model, I did indeed do that with the 95 Explorer I own. It did have quite a few nagging issues while it was under warranty. I had many trips to the dealer, although none of them were major enough to leave me stranded. Since the warranty expired all I have done, aside from routine maintenance, is put in a new thermostat for $20. It has been extremely reliable for 75K miles after flushing out the initial bugs. But the 4.0L engine in it is a very old design so it should be reliable. I know people with newer Explorers that have the OHC 4.0L engine and it has been nothing but a nightmare. But Ford has had 4 years to work out the issues, so I hope the 2003 engine will now be as good as mine.

So the answer is "it depends". Do your homework.

I am hoping the new 4Runner is a hit because that is the reason I have been lurking in this forum. It will be near the top of my list for replacing the Explorer later this year, if available. My experience of a single data point also tells me that Explorers are not nearly as bad as some Toyota loyalists would lead you to believe. I feel they are NOT pieces of crap. Having said that though, I think I would still own a Toyota for 150K before I would own a Ford for 150K.

Enough contradictions on my part?

Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    "am considering a 2003 Explorer (2nd year) and a 2003 4Runner" "What do you (or anyone else) think?"

Seem kind of obvious what choice to make! The 4 Runner is a much nice truck then the Ford Exploder. ;)
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Explorer seems to have a very cheezy interior. Not very pleasant or comfortable. Ground clearance seems to be quite hampered by that new (strangely looking from the rear) independant suspension.
  • Options
    I really enjoy this board as I am able to learn a lot about my 4Runner. I have some oil change questions.

1.) I notice that when I check the oil level, there is a difference between a hot engine and a cold engine by over half a quart. It drove me crazy and I have checked and double checked it. So if the cold engine is checked and I am 3/4 of a quart low, I am not too worried. Before I figured this out, I would overfill my engine. Does anyone else experience this?
    2.) When do people change oil, what do they use in the 4Runner. I use Castrol 5-W30 in the winter, 10-W30 in the summer and I change it every 3,000 miles. But I would like other opinions.
    3.) I read somewhere a person takes his skid plate off to change the oil. I used to change when it was not raised off the ground, but I now but it on ramps and when I take off the oil filter, the oil drains off the skid plate into a pan, then I get a rag and dry off the top of the skid plate. If you change your own oil, what do you do and any suggestions?
  • Options
    steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    I sounds like you and I are on the same page zman3 -- we are lurking for the same reason. I bought a new 96 Explorer (V8 AWD) and haven't had any problems after 80K miles. I also agree that I would own a 4Runner for 150K before an Explorer. That is why I am in the market -- the Explorer is over 5 years old and I have a feeling something is going to pop up at any time. The SUV is my wife's vehicle and the last thing I want to happen is have her break down with the two kids in the truck. I was very happy with several Toyotas I owned in the past and I like the Highlander's styling, but it is too small.

"... my main concerns come with new engines, transmissions, and 4WD systems. If these are carry overs from the current version 4Runner or another Toyota product (V8 from the Sequoia?), I would be a lot more inclined to buy the first year 4Runner." Excellent point. Has Toyota had any problems like this in the past that you know of? Is anyone else leery of jumping right in and purchasing a first year 4Runner? Granted, it might be too early to tell -- Toyota needs to give us some details on their new SUV.
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Owners of 4Runners can comment better than I can, but I think there were head gasket issues with some 4Runner engines. I think it was when they went to the bigger engine (3.4L), but I am not certain. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

Like you said, I need to wait for some real information on the new one before I can gauge how serious I am about the redesigned 4Runner.
  • Options
    llslicellslice Member Posts: 15
    I read in a different forum the issue you brought up about the oil going all over the place once you loosen that oil filter.Everyone pretty much agreed about placing a rag underneath where the oil might spill out to.One guy transferred a oil filter relocation kit(Perma-Cool)from his 3.4 Tacoma.You get the benefits of more oil capacity and a bigger filter.
    I switched over to Mobil One after my third oil change but will try to stick close to the recommended oil change frequency till my warranty is up then probably switch to Amsoil .
  • Options
    ejseslejsesl Member Posts: 1
    Am interested in anyone's experience with Toyota Dealers in Central Mass? Thanks
  • Options
    jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    There's talk on the outdoorwire board about the GX 470 being the next 4Runner...one person said they spoke to a spokesperson who said it would be the next 4Runner...looking at the pictures though, I noticed the power rear window is not on the GX 470...does that mean the retracting rear window is gone???
  • Options
    jmp6jmp6 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone thought of the possibility of Toyota putting out two new sport-utes? One would be a downmarket, Xterra-class vehicle based on the Tacoma (maybe out soon - like March), with the new 4Runner being larger and based on the GX470 (out next fall or after). I know it seems like a lot of different vehicles, but Toyota may phase out the Landcruiser in the next couple of years, and with a GX470 sized 4Runner, your getting pretty close to Land Cruiser size.
  • Options
    rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    The current 4Runner is based on the Tacoma platform. (The original 4Runners were the Toyota pickup with a top on the bed and a bench seat inside.) The next level up is the Sequoia, and there isn't much of a gap (pricewise) between them. After that it's the Landcruiser.

I have always been told that the Landcruiser will always remain the Landcruiser, and that the reason is a sentimental one. It's not cost effective to build, but Toyota keeps it going because it was the reason that they were able to get a toe-hold in the US market to begin with. You won't see it heavily promoted, but it will remain in the line up.

I have seen a Toyota Motor Sales video, presented by the Executive Vice President of sales of Toyota (not a dealership), who said that it would be released for the 2004 model year (which starts in the fall of 2003). I want a new one too, and I'd like to see it in this fall's lineup. But since it's not on the Toyota web site and no one can find out anything about it, I just have my doubts that it will be released this year. I don't know, I'm just a schlub. I guess that we'll have to wait and see. But if you will remember, the Lexus RX300 came out a year before the Highlander. This seems to me to be the same thing with the GX470. I just think it's going to go down the same way. Get the rich Lexus buyers first, then get the rest of them with the Toyota follow up ;-)

As for taking a chance on a new model year, I'm not worried about that. My '89 pickup was one of those and I still have it; original clutch, freon, and most everything else. It's been an excellent vehicle. I've driven it almost everyday since I bought it. When the new 'Runner is out, I'm in line :-) this year or next.
  • Options
    The 2003 4 Runner will be a complete re-design and it will be out in March. You will not find this info on their web site, as they still have 2002s to sell. Toyota, also, wants to release the 4 runner before the Honda Pilot comes out. I don't think that the Highlander has been as successful as Toyota had hoped. Also, expect Toyota to keep prices down on the 4 runner to compete with the new Honda.
  • Options
    New 4Runner in March??? I sure hope you are right........it would make me happy! I just don't see it happening, but my fingers are crossed!!!
  • Options
    fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    There is no way that the new runner will be out in March. If that was the case, it would already be heading to our shores.
  • Options
    I remain hopeful that you are correct about March, but I remain curious as to your source for this information. If this is true, Toyota will be allocating them the first week of February so I guess we don't have long to wait to see if you are correct.
  • Options
    They will start appearing on dealer lots the last week of March.....It will be several months before supply is good. Expect options of V8 and a third seat.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think you could be a troll. I'll ask you again to tell us whence your information comes. I'd like to believe you, but it goes against what I have heard from our distribution folks.