Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    As far as cargo space goes I think you get more cubic feet in a disco, but that is mostly because of the height of the passenger cage, so you have to stack high to use that space. The 4Runner's space is more in length than height and for me is more usable.

I hear the newer Rovers are more reliable, but we wanted a truck we could trust pretty much implicitly to run, not leak, break down, etc. Have you been to the Discovery board here? Those guys *love* their trucks and don't find the problems they do have to be much of an issue.

Gary
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    Ioma: Do you have a newfy? Ours is still a puppy, and a 110 lbs of drooling joy.

As far as the 2000 Limited; No, it doesn't have the TRACS or any type of Traction Control. That is the achilles heel of the Multimode System offered in 1999 and 2000. The system has a part-time low/high range (i.e. center locker), with the rear locker available only in low range. In addition, it has a push button "full-time four-wheel drive system," which in reality, is only an all wheel drive system. By that, I mean that there is NO traction control, no lsd, or any other way to distribute torque. If just ONE of the 4 wheels loses traction, then power will go through the path of least resistance, and the 4runner won't move. I learned this the hard way traveling up a steep, snowy dirt incline in VT; One of the wheels lost traction and the 4runner wouldn't move until I engaged the center locker. With the multimode system you have, the full time system is really only useful on pavement and in slightly slick conditions; in all other cases, you need to lock the center.

pg: Only the 99 and 2000 Limited had the Multimode; it was never offered as an option on the SR5, which kept the part-time only system. Starting in 2001, they offered the Tracs system standard on ALL Runners, including the Limited and SR5.

I was shopping for my Runner in Fall of 2000, and was debating whether to get the 2001 or the 2000. I decided on the 2000 because I wanted the rear locker (which they stopped offering after 2000), and I was leery of any traction control-based 4x4 system b/c of the bad press the Mercedes ML was getting. This, of course, is not to say that the Multimode system with rear-locker is an ideal system, as per my comments above.

By the way, how does the Tracs system work offroad with the center diff locked? Is it as good as a front/rear locker? Any one with any experience with that?
    I've heard some 99 limiteds came with all wheel drve. The 00 limiteds came with the multimode, and the first year the SR5 came with it was in 01.

Gary
    Yes I have a 120lb 3 year old female newf that is a pleasure just to have around. She and my mix are why we liked the cargo space in the runner because they both have enough space with the rear seats up.

The Tracs system is pretty nice I think. I know a lot of people don't trust the electronic stuff, but I have had it help out off-road. I'd categorize it as much better than open diffs, better than the limited slips I've had, not as good as the posi-traction or whatever I had on my Sonoma, not at all equal to having a true locker. With it I can get around pretty well even with the center diff open, usually that hits it's wall when the suspension is maxed out and a tire gets hoisted.
    Mostly when I play I'm climbing hillsides in low and so far the tracs hasn't impeded that but there have been a few times where it just wasn't enough to get me over some ledges. I do plan on installing an air locker sometime.

Gary
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    Would someone PLEASE respond to my inquiry into which back seat covers work well for my 2001 Runner. I saw water resistant ones in the Performance Parts catalogue. I need ones that look okay and are sort of rugged(small dog, teenage abuse, etc.) HELP!!!! Please respond!!!!!!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How good of a ride does the 4Runner really have?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Well, I'm back from fishing and thanks for the advice on the anchor line Steve. We'll see what happens in March or April. I still hope Buzz is correct, but like I've said, I have serious doubts.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I know a lot of people are wondering when the fourth generation is coming in (notice I don't even mention the year, heck we all thought it was a 2002 last year). One way of checking if the new 4Runner is coming in is simply to check your local Toyota web site. The one I check in Georgia, Atlanta Toyota, has a list of cars they have, plus what is coming in the next 2 weeks. They usually have about 20% of cars listed as "on order". Right now they have 4Runners coming in till 2/27/02. I would assume when Toyota is planning on introducing a new model, they would not order older models. I will keep checking and let you know when my local dealer stops ordering 2002 4Runners.

When you check a site, simply click on "Search Inventory".

http://www.atlantatoyota.com/frameset4.asp?LINK=NewCars&MAIN=new_vehicle_search

• mikeintnmikeintn Member Posts: 39
    I have enjoyed reading the posters agreeing to agree or disagree with you.

While I don't have an opinion on that issue, I have followed Cliffy's postings for over a year and have always found him to be very straightforward. If I had to vote, I'd choose him.

Cliffy, with the upcoming 4Runner change, whenever that might be, I am in the market for an SUV, have narrowed it down to either a Grand Cherokee or 4Runner. I really like the Sport Edition 4 Runners.

My question is this: considering the upcoming change, what is considered a "good deal" on 4Runners right now? I have yet to try to deal with the local dealer, but I have a quote on Carsdirect.com that is approximately $1000 below invoice, which includes the Toyota $1000 rebate. I took the same equipment and got the quote based on that, so I could compare apples to apples. I would much rather buy from the local dealer, so if they are close I'll buy from them.

Also, is the $1000 the only rebate offered from Toyota right now on the 4Runners?

Thanks for your advice.

MIKEinTN
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    My company just issued a new fleet policy-

The CEO got a report from the leasing company showing overall operating costs (maintenace,resale etc) for various vehicles and the short list includes a few Toyos including the 4runner. The other 4WD choice is the Ford Explorer.

I've stayed away from the SUVs primarily due to ride/comfort handling issues during my frequent 1000-1500 mile road trips. However having a 4X4 when facing the Pittsburg/Erie/ upstate NY run in February has some appeal.

My initial impression is that the 4runner is more of a real off road truck as opposed to a high riding, "family roadster" and therefore may present a disadvantage in comfort and trip fatigue.

I'm not an offroader,at least intentionally.

I'd appreciate inputs from actual drivers as oppossed to road test journalists.

Do i turn my Lincoln LS for the Explorer, the 4runner, or just take my chances with with an Avalon?
    Rebates are regional so I can only tell you what is going on here in the Central Atlantic Region. Most dealers would not intentionally sell a vehicle at invoice and then give you the rebate. Most however would let one go for that in a choice of loosing local business to an on-line broker. Find a good dealership and a salesman you like and tell them what you wish to accomplish. You'll probably be able to buy local.
  • innocentfreakinnocentfreak Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any company that makes or sells a diecast model of the TOyota 4runner, if not any models that can be assmebled?
  • jenna22jenna22 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 Sport Edition 4Runner with an entertainment center and sunroof and I had to add the running boards and paid $28,500. The problem is I just had to take an unexpected trip up north to Michigan and by the time I got back to Georgia I wanted to scream and spent the better part of the morning trying to figure out how to get rid of it without losing my butt or my husband! During the trip I seemed to have developed a rattle in the trim around the back cargo window that comes and goes and it may be just my imagination, but does that hood scoop cause all that wind noise?! I went from a 91 4x4 4Runner, to a 96 Camry, to this. I went this morning to my local Toyota dealership and test drove the new Matrix (which has a cool as sh$% interior!) and am now wishing I can turn back time and save myself $10,000. I am a way-to-loyal Toyota lover to give up on my truck that I JUST HAD TO HAVE so I have to find a way to live with it. One other problem I seem to be having is I am not getting good reception on my radio. I can't get half the stations I used to get in my Camry. Does anyone else have this problem or do I have to just suck it up and learn to live with just my CD's?
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I also tried to find a 4Runner model. Other 4Runner boards have owners who were able to get diecast models from their dealers. Unfortunately the dealer parts department near me who is supposedly "one of the biggest parts departments around" told me they do not have any 4Runner models in stock. So I guess you just have to check around with other dealers. I know that there are people on some other 4Runner boards that can probably get the email address of a dealer who can get the model and ship it to you. Someone did tell me that the parts department at www.doxontoyota.com can get the model (I think they're in Washington).
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Take a look at the 2004 Lexus GX470, that is the next generation Toyota 4-runner. V8, 3rd row seat (optional) 235 HP, of course not as luxurious as the GX. Expect the new 4-runner in show rooms this November.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    One of the good things about the 4Runners up to now was the half way decent gas mileage (compared to TLC, Tahoes, Expos, etc); I hope Toyota doesn't screw it up with the V-8 in the 2003; will you need the V-8 due to an increase in vehicle weight??
    It is likely, although not certain, that there will still be a V6 option. Toyota has a new 3.6 (or is it 3.8) liter V6 engine coming out soon for the Tacoma and probably for the Runner as well.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    It needs more power. I bought an Infiniti QX4 2 weeks ago. I was considering and comparing it to the 4Runner but opted for the QX4 because of the difference in power.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I would have been very happy if Toyota had come out with a vvt-i version of the 3.4 liter V6 when I got my 4Runner. To me, it always feels like the 3.4 loses its muscle above 3500 RPM.
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I work for a company that supplies parts for the current 4Runner. I asked our engineer, who works at TMS, when the next generation 4Runner is going to be available. He said that it will be a 2003 model, and it will be on sale in late summer when all the 2003 M.Y. go on sale. As you can tell by my log-in, I am currently driving a Blazer ZR2 (which is currently in the shop). I'm looking for a new vehicle and it will be another ZR2 or a Runner. The two are the only vehicles that are built for four wheeling anymore (midsize SUV's that is). I like the ZR2, but I want 4 doors and better quality. I don't like the fact that the new Runner is going to be bigger. The current size is perfect for fitting down narrow, grown in, old logging trails. If I go for the Runner over the ZR2, it would probably be a 2002.

Cliffy, when the next gen. Runner comes out in late summer, how long should I wait to buy a 2002?
    When to buy a 2002? That depends on a lot of things that I can't predict. If we get flooded with 2002s just before the 2003 comes out, we will probably get even larger incentives than we have now and dealers will be tripping over themselves to get rid of them.

If we get a big batch now (which we are) but get little else before the arrival of the 2003s, the next two months will be the time to buy. When dealers see large inventories of any vehicle, they get very motivated to sell them and you have a good selection. If you wait until stocks are lower, you will not be able to pick and choose colors and equipment and dealers will not be as desperate to move them.

Its a gamble, but not a terrible one. If you buy in March, you may loose out on an extra $500 in July, but at least you will get the model you want.
  • walkercmwalkercm Member Posts: 11
    Just got a new 2002 4Runner SR5 in January. MSRP $33,004, white, sunroof, hitch, flares,... Got it for $30,200, opting for the special financing instead of the $1,000 cash back. Was that a good deal? Is the extended warrenty worth it (I'm considering it)?

Nice truck. Have about 1,300 miles on it now. 4WD handled great in the snow. I like not being afraid to turn the 4WD on even on wet or dry roads. Feels great to drive. Can't wait until summer to use the tailgate window more. Sound system is decent, but not great. I wish they had made better use of the space near the shifter to add more storage compartments. My only real gripe is that the dash really sqeeks going over bumps in the road. Any fix for that?

Also, anyone know where to get an after-market bug deflecter cheaper than Toyota's $65 price?
    If the warranty is not and aftermarket one and if it is the Platinum Plan, they can be a good idea. Aftermarket warranties are rarely worth the paper they are written on and the Gold Plan from Toyota doesn't cover a lot of important stuff. Depending on the dealer, you should be able to get the 7/100K between $1270 and $1425 with $0 deductible.
    Cliffy,

You menction the Gold Plan doesn't cover a lot of important stuff....give us an idea of what sort of "important stuff" it does not cover. I would assume the Platium plan is better, could you give us a brief difference?

Also, I know the incentives are regional...but can you give me an idea as to the current $1000 (I'm in Northeast Tennessee) on the 4Runner being extended? The current one expires on February 28th, and I am not sure I will be buying before then.

Thanks,

MIKEinTN
    Examples of what is covered by the Platinum but not the Gold include CD player, thermostat, traction control, fuel gauge, lock cylinder set, sunroof cables (very expensive by the way), wiring harnesses, oil cooler, catalyst converter, front and rear coil springs, power steering pump pulley and a bunch of other stuff. A complete description of both warranties is available at www.toyota.com.

Until I moved into the finance office and actually started to read the material on extended warranties, I didn't realize just how much was covered. About the only things that are not covered are belts, hoses, fuses, light bulbs, floor mats, seat covers and head liner. There are a couple of others, but not much. I can easily see spending more than $1500 on covered items within 7 years.

As to rebates, the current $1000 is due to expire on the 28th, but I am 99.9% sure it will be extended or improved until the end of the model year. It is possible it wouldn't, but that would shock me.
    Thanks for the info. I will compare their coverages on their website.

I am still trying to decide whether to get the Jeep Grand Cherokee or 4Runner. I will be driving a ton of miles each year, so I am leaning towards the 4Runner simply for their longevity.

Thanks again for the help.

MIKEinTN
  • willfwbwillfwb Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I enjoy reading the posts, lots of info. I have a question concerning the extended warranties offered by toyota. Although there may be an advantage to buy the extended warranty at time of purchase. If not purchased initially, can you purchase the extended warranty at a later time before the manufacturer's warranty expires? If yes, then at what point? Before 3/36?

Appreciate the response
    Will
    Dealers will often try to entice you to buy a warranty at the time of purchase by dropping the price. You may get a great deal that way. You do have until the 3/36 warranty expires before you must decide though. Just be aware that the dealer may charge more later.
  • 3686236862 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Kingsport; bought a limited 4runner in Asheville NC for $5K under MSRP. I would recommend the dealer; no hagle prices posted on vehicles. I love mine, even though I know they'll change them next year.
    Thanks for the info on the dealer in Asheville. I have been to their website and they seem to be pretty no nonsense....a welcome change.

I am in Johnson City and will most likely give Phil Bachman here an opportunity to beat their price. I also have a quote from carsdirect.com for $1000 off invoice, including the $1000 cash back from Toyota, so that is a strong deal also.

Thanks for the info!

MIKEinTN
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    anybody know?

thx.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Expected this fall.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    It seems that Toyota may have a bonafide competitor looming in the background too. I hear that Mercury will soon be announcing there new SUV, the "Aviator". I hear that it is a similar, smaller version of the 2003 Lincoln Navigator. I recently saw the newly designed (more in the interior) Navigator at the Baltimore Auto Show and I can tell that it is a "beast". The interior has the look of a sports sedan. It also has numerous options like hidden running boards which come out when the door is unlocked; automatic vehicle height adjustment; combination nav system, DVD and sunroof, push button back seat fold, ..etc. If the Aviator has the same stylish design and quality craftsmanship, it will be in demand. I hear Mercury will display the Aviator at the New York Auto Show in April. I think the starting price will be around $40,000.
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    is an Explorer/Mountainer based SUV decked out to the 9s.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    All I can say with all these choices this year is WELCOME TO THE PARTY!!!!
  • ckmccoy5ckmccoy5 Member Posts: 24
    Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this post...Over the weekend, I bought my first Toyota - a beautiful White 1998 4Runner Limited, 60K, bumper to bumper through November 2003, every option - $18950. Great experience at Toyota of Bloomfield here in Michigan. Is there any crucial information I need right off the bat? - Stuff like recurrent problems or things to watch out for that are peculiar to '98 models? I would also be interested in feedback from current/past '98 owners on their experience. Thanks.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Saw a video of it today. Don't expect a huge change in the design. If you saw this thing coming, you'd definitely know it was a 4Runner. Doesn't look at all like the Lexus, although it does have the rumoured V-8. Some minor "Sequoia" touches here and there, but pretty much the same vehicle on the outside. The inside is much sportier with updated dashboard and doors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in the market for one, and I'm pleased that it keeps the same great looking exterior. Just don't expect a major redesign. (I had heard that it looked like the Mitsubishi Montero. That's an unqualified 'no'.)
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    What else did you learn? Availability, pricing, etc. Any other info?

Are you a dealer or how did you see a video?
  • p_g_00p_g_00 Member Posts: 34
    Does it have a more powerful V6?
  • steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    Does it have a 3rd row seat?
    Sorry, I don't have any pricing or statistics for horsepower. (That's all confidential anyway, so I couldn't share it.) My guess is that it will have as much HP as the V-6 Tacoma.

The video didn't have any sound (or it wasn't turned up) but they didn't show a 3rd seat. I had heard that it would, and I really hope that it does. The runner didn't appear to be any longer, and it's hard to tell much about size from a brief video.

The new 4Runner will be available this fall for the new model year (2003). That information was provided at a public forum, and came from an EVP of Sales.

I'm not a dealership nor do I work for one. I work for Toyota, but not with manufacturing or sales.
  • steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    I appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions. I hope more info becomes available soon.

It looks like cliffy1 was right about the availability date.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    RWard,

Thanks for the information.

Was it like the current 4Runner, where there is sheet metal between the rear quarter glass and the rear seat glass? The new Toyota Landcruiser Prado and the new, for January 2003, Lexus GX470 look awfully similar, and there is no sheet metal there, ala Montero.

Cliffy, is this unusual to be coming out with video of a redesign this soon, even for internal Toyota folks?

Where are you "at" now Buzz?
  • ronfarronfar Member Posts: 11
    Hey folks....

Looks like a rock that didn't hit my windshield did some damage anyway.....I have a hole in my left headlamp cover that I will need to get replaced... :(

Anyone know how much these run (if available from non-Toyota dealer)? I have a 2001 4-runner.

Also, are covers available to spare the glass in case another rock hits?

Thanks
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    My sources confirm the late March delivery of the 2003 4 Runner. They have given me the impression that it will look significantly different. Third row seating is a definite option as is a V8
    Rward99 has some access that I don't have. I have no idea if it is normal to get videos for internal use. I know the dealers get no such thing until a couple of weeks prior to release. They are normally training videos narrated by some dude at Autoweek (John Davis I think).
  • tondogtondog Member Posts: 1
    hi,

just passed 100k miles on my 95' V6 4-Runner...and I have to say they have been extremly trouble free...the only real expense I've had was some bs the inspection service came up with when I was getting the car registered in Maryland...my words of wisdom...it can make sense to take the truck to a Toyota mechanic, not for basic stuff like oil changes but other quirky items...in almost 8 years I've had the car to a mechanic three times...be careful if you're the do it yourself type changing spark plugs, steel plugs into an aluminum head and there is not much room for error...in hindsight if you're not routinely going to have kids are people in the back than the Tocoma extended cab pick up might be a better choice...throw a cap on the back and you have a 4-Runner for a few grand less...but overall I have no complaints about this car, some say the ride isn't comfortable but I think it's fine.

take care,

Tony
    Videos (video clips, or snippets would be more accurate) are very rare. We usually get a grainy slide. I just happened to luck into a situation purely by chance. This contact just didn't want to get swamped with requests from other people/areas to see it. There wasn't anything of a confidential nature in the video; no statistics or anything like that. There was a (video) pan around the exterior, then some interior shots. Interpretation (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.

I had heard of the comparison to the Montero also. I know the Lexus GX470 has a roofline somewhat like that. But the video that I saw showed a 4Runner that had the forward slanted sheet metal between the second seat and rear area. The people that saw it with me agreed that there wasn't a huge difference from 2002, and they were glad about that. (Biggest differences were the headlights, tail lights and roof rack)

It is difficult to get information on vehicles made in Japan. Pricing and detailed specs are almost impossible. This video was made for a presentation and didn't contain any voice over; that was to be provided by the presenter. There wasn't enough time to show it, since they had showed a video of the new Matrix. (The Matrix is really where all the buzz is. The 4Runner has been around for a long time, and appeals only to a smaller group.)

The V-8 is a given, and I've heard about a 3rd seat, but not mentioned in the video. The interior is definitely sportier. The delivery date is given as the new model year, available in fall 2002. I've not heard of any earlier delivery in the US market. (They'd have to be sitting on the boats in the harbor in Japan today to make it to the dealership by the first week of April.) Toyota builds cars "just in time". That's their whole philosophy. Orders must be placed; it's how the system works, at least that's what I've always been told.

I'm in the market for one, but won't be ready until this time next year. After seeing the video, unless I was waiting for the V-8, I think I'd get one now if I didn't have the Sienna payment. (Actually, I think I'd go for the Sequoia if I had my druthers :-) )
  • calguy74calguy74 Member Posts: 1
    In reference to rward99's comment on the 2003 4Runner and its look, I have to say I'm really intriqued. rward99 mentions that it pretty much looks like the current model except with Sequoia touches sprinked throughout. I have been receiving pamphlets from Toyota with service and parts coupons, and there is a picture of a vehicle that is clearly a combination of both the Sequoia and the current 4Runner. The front end, side mirrors, and roof rack are clearly Sequoia, while the rest of the vehicle including fenders and wheels are 4Runner. Is this the new 2003 model?? If not, why would someone splice these two vehicles together and put them on the front page of the pamphlet because it's not a model that Toyota currently has. I would suggest you guys take a look at the Toyota advertisements you receive and see if this makes any sense. Any comments on this, rward99?
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    The vehicle you are describing, rward, is not the 2003 4 runner. The video you saw was a promotional piece with several early prototypes. The 2003 still looks like a 4 Runner but much different.