Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    You can also turn off the DRL on any Gm truck by pushing the dash lite reset 4 times, but you have to do it each time the ignition is turned on.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • Options
    mayitomayito Member Posts: 1
    Im considering to buy a 1990 toyota 4runner SR5 everything os ok but the milleage I think is to high, 188 000 miles please tellme if this car is relilable. Thanks
  • Options
    jp32jp32 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 4runner, sr5 4wd.
    after coming off a curb with my brake pedal pressed i noticed a metal to metal grinding noise in the left front wheel. didn't hear it for a couple weeks until i hit a small pothole with my brake pedal pressed, heard it again. and again a week later on a bumpy farm road on a quick stop. i took car to toyota, demonstrated the problem for them. their consensus was that it was caused by the ABS, it was "normal" and not to worry about it.
    anyone familiar with this?
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    If it has the V6 (3VZE) motor, they are very reliable and smooth. Just make sure the headgasket has been replaced. There was a recall on it a couple of years ago.

-hope this helps
  • Options
    jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I've heard the same noise you've heard (I think), except mine was more like something (like a rock) hitting a hollow metal trash can, kind of a "TOONG" sound. I've heard it on more than one occasion and the thought that it could be a problem never occurred. I've heard it when I drive through gutters with water and leaves and when I brake very quickly. The first time I heared it was a few months ago, and I haven't had any brake problems, so I'm assuming it is a regular noise. If you find out anything different, please post it.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    If you are braking and hit a pot hole or rough road, your wheel looses contact with the ground. This would mean that the brakes would lock up. The ABS computer recognizes this and engages. The ABS makes a grinding and clicking noise. It sounds horrible but is normal. If you don't hear it, you have a problem.
  • Options
    stankiusstankius Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if you can bundle the cost of the supercharger and the installation into the financing when you buy it? Should you break in the engine before you attach the charger?

Joe
  • Options
    peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I turned on my car tonight and the headlights did not come on. I put it in reverse and no lights. Then I took off my parking brake and they the daytime running lights came on. This is good when I go camping and want to run the car but not have the lights on. I then experimented with the lights and sure enough if you click the parking brake one click, the lights will not come on. I however, don't think driving a brand new car with the parking brake on to defeat a saftey feature is such a good idea. However, if you are really trying to defeat the system, I would look at the wiring connected to the parking brake. As for me, I will drive with the daytime running lights on my 2001 4Runner.
  • Options
    beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I recently had my '94 4-Runner on a trip with the family. The vehicle was loaded with 2 adults, 2 children, and various supplies(luggage, food, golf clubs) for a trip to MB, SC. The vehicle was sagging a bit in the rear, but certainly not bottoming out. I have taken several trips with my 4-Runner in the past with a similar load, and had it to MB just last year.
    Along the way, my A/T Oil Temp light went on. I drove approximately 150 total miles the first day and the light stayed on for about 1 hour. Traffic was very heavy, especially around DC, where it was stop and go. The 150 miles usually takes me less than 3 hours to cover, but took over 4.5 hours this time After a bit of time, the warning light went off.
    The next day, during a longer stretch on the road, the light again went on and off. My total miles covered for this day was approximately 350 miles. About 20 miles from my destination, my transmission appeared to fail. I would put my foot on the gas, but nothing would happen right away. Then, all of the sudden, the vehicle would pick up momentum, and it was on its way. Fortunately for me, there was a Toyota dealer before I reached MB. I pulled in to get the vehicle looked at.
    The Toyota dealer was courteous and explained the problem to me in the following manner:
    The truck had a heavy load to carry. The strain on the transmission caused the warning light to go on, and did heat up the oil. There was not enough pressure in the transmission to keep the oil flowing properly. He suggested that I turn off the overdrive feature and this should resolve my problem.
    I just got home today. I drove the 500 miles with O/D turned off. Once again, the A/T Oil Temp light went on, but I did not lose power. IS this something for me to be concerned about? As I stated earlier, I have made several trips with this vehicle in a similar fashion(MB, Outer Banks several times) each time loaded to the gills without a problem. Is it the age of the vehicle(8 years) or the mileage(82k)? I would appreciate your responses.
  • Options
    loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    I live in Missouri, but I'm thinking about ordering/picking up a California 4runner in order to get a lower emissions vehicle. Can I get the Ca emissions here, and is there a significant difference in the emissions produced? Also are the toyotas with the lower emissions less powerful?

Gary
  • Options
    I don't know about getting a California 4Runner in Missouri, or the difference in emissions produced, but I do remember reading somewhere that CA 4runners have 181 hp. I don't know how much of a difference that 2 hp makes. Compared to many new SUVs, 181 hp sounds very low, especially when the 3.0 liter Highlander/RX300 engine produces more torque and horsepower than the 3.4 liter 4Runner/Tacoma/Tundra engine. I'm not sure, but I think that 3.0 liter is also in the Camry, Avalon, and ES300 as well. Can anyone explain this? Is it just the vvt-i?
  • Options
    You may have already damaged the transmission. I'm not a mechanic but it sounds like your transmission oil cooler is not functioning. It is normal to need to turn off the OD when you have a heavy load but I don't thing what you described qualifies. This normally means towing over 2000 pounds. With the OD off, you should not have the AT warning light come on unless your tarns. cooler is non-functional.
  • Options
    beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I just had my local Toyota dealer take a peek at the 4-Runner and they could not find anything wrong with the trans. I even had a load in the back(around 1000 pounds) when I brought it to them and they could not even get the A/T light to go on. I drove it that day for approximately 25 miles in OD without the light going on.
    One thing they mentioned to me was that the level of the fluid may have been too high. When they looked at it the level was above full. The fluid smelled OK and the coloring was good also. It was not burnt. They drained some excess fluid from the transmission. I hope this works.
    Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    shillionshillion Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a 99 4Runner SR5 and have found that the liftgate is acting up. Sometimes it works fine other times it refuses to open. I can hear the actuator unlocking. Has any else seen this? Otherwise the truck is awesome

Thanks
  • Options
    I've never had my liftgate refuse to open, although sometimes it seems very difficult to open. Usually it seems more difficult to open when the window is down. Also, I don't know if this is really a problem, but the shocks for my liftgate don't lift the liftgate quickly or even all the way (with the window up; window down is even worse). Most times when I open the liftgate, I lift it myself instead of waiting for (or hoping) the shocks would open it. Do the liftgate shocks lift more quickly as they get more use (I have a 2000)? Is there any reason I shouldn't "manually" lift the liftgate?
  • Options
    roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    My wife and I had the same problem in our '98 4-runner shortly after we bought it. Very sporatically, the latch mechanism would jam and it would simply refuse to open.

The irritating part was that the service department at our local dealer would simply pop the latch for us (guy would crawl over the back seat, pop the inner hatch door panel off and manually work the latch mechanism) rather that try to determine why it was jamming. We had to take the truck in 4 times with a stuck mechanism. The last time we came back to pick up the truck after it had been "fixed", I walked around to the back of the truck, with the service manager in tow, and tried the hatch.

You guessed it: jammed again. After a 5 minute chewing session, they ordered a replacement latch mechanism. The truck has worked perfectly since then.

If the service department can't figure out WHY it is jamming, they may need to replace the whole mechanism. I hope it doesn't take 4 trips to the dealer like it took us.......
  • Options
    I would love to get a TRD supercharger, but I've read that there are related fuel delivery problems. Many people solve this by getting an aftermarket fuel pump. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a supercharger on their 4Runner without a boost gauge or fuel pump and if the difference is worth the $3,000 price tag. Cliffy, or anyone else, if you know anything about the fuel delivery problem and could give me some feedback, I would appreciate it. If you know about TRD parts, and could tell me, more specifically, what a boost gauge does, I would also appreciate it. Thanks.
  • Options
    leehornleehorn Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a new 4-runner. The fuel tank won't fill up and the door blew out of it's hinges when a semi truck passed us when we stopped to adjust our ski rack on the freeway. My husband was standing in the door fixing the ski rack and as the truck came by it blew the door open so far out that the door check failed and damaged my front fender. Seems like a defect to me.

Any similar stories out there?
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Member Posts: 7
    I have just purchased a '01 SR5 and I love it. There are only 3 things that bother me. The cloth seats leave much to be desired (abrasive), the automatic gear shifter shakes when the vehicle is in motion and the sound system is inadequate. I can put up with these in exchange for reliability which my Explorer did not provide.
    I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. Is it better to buy the extended warranty now compared to the end of the 3 years? Is it taht much more $ later? Why does the shifter shake? Is 93 octane gas better than 89? Is the brand name gas better than no name gas? Mobil advertises that their gas cleans your engine. Is this true or just advertising hype? I would like to keep this vehicle for many years and want to use the proper gas for longevity. Thanks.
  • Options
    hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    If you own a 1998 - 2001 4Runner, you should be proud of it's Crash Safety Worthiness results. Check out the official Insurance Institute for Highway Safety test results:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/pdfs/mid_suvs.pdf

• Options
    Here's a faster site of the Crash Safety Worthiness test results of the 98-01 4Runner from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I have a 2000 SR5 2WD 4Runner. I observe no difference between higher octane gas and regular octane. I have been very impressed with the mileage. I am consistently getting 19.5 - 20.0 mpg to work (21 miles one way, mixed city/hway). On long road trips I get 22.5 mpg. I had a '91 4Runner prior to this one with 120,000 miles on it when I sold it. The extended warranty would have meant nothing to me on that vehicle and so I did not purchase it this time. My shifter also shakes but does not bother me. Do you mind quoting the sticker price on your vehicle and what you paid? Mine stickered for $31,200 (no "dealer" add-ons) and I paid $27,700 in January of 2000.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Member Posts: 7
    The sticker price for my 2001 SR5 was $34,499. Options include FE, RH, SP, SR, GI, C7, R1. I ended up paying $30,580 plus tax MINUS a $1,000 rebate = $31,350. I thought I got a great deal with the rebate.
    Do you know why the shifter shakes? I lightly pushed the shifter forward (without depressing the shifter botton) while moving and the gear easily went from drive to nuetral. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Shifter shake is very normal on our trucks. Also, you are wasting money by using anything over 87 octane. Stick with what your owners manual tells you.
  • Options
    dbabbledbabble Member Posts: 13
    One way to look at octane rating is that it relates to how much compression it takes to cause spontaneous ignition. The higher the octane rating, the more compression is required. A diesel engine works this way, by compressing the fuel until it combusts. That's why diesels have no spark plugs.

Some gas engines require higher octane fuel than others because their compression ratios are higher. If fuel with too low an octane rating is used, premature ignition (dieseling) can occur. Dieseling is bad for valves and other parts. In general, there is no reason to use fuel with a higher octane rating than what the owner's manual calls for. You won't get better mileage, and in some cases you'll get worse mileage. The same detergent additives are used regardless of octane, so high-octane fuel isn't "cleaner."

As you go up in altitude, from sea level to the mountains, you'll notice that the octane of the fuels available drops. That's because the air pressure drops, and you can actually get away with running lower octane fuel than the manual requires. Here in Colorado I run 85 octane in my 4Runner (the manual says 87). As long as you don't hear knocking, you're probably okay. My dealer even told me I could run 85. The quesion I have is, why does higher octane cost more? Is it more expensive to make?

Click and Clack (the car talk guys) also share this view, so it's not just me. One thing to bear in mind for those thinking of TRD superchargers: A supercharger is a way to increase the pressure in the intake manifold, to get more of the air/fuel mixture into the cylinder. For that reason, once you install a supercharger you typically have to go to high octane fuel. Around here, that means almost 40 cents per gallon more fuel cost.
  • Options
    It is interesting to note your 3 minor complaints. Yes I noticed the shifter moves a little when you drive. Since I haven't driven a rear wheel drive for a long time I thought it was normal. Since it moves I rest my hand on it trying to figure out when it shifts. Under normal driving I can't feel the shifts, very smooth, I like a harder shift point. Maybe I have been driving Hondas and Acuras too long. I am sure the Toyota engineers took a long time to perfect the shift smoothness. However I find it difficlult to know what gear I'm in. It is something I just have a habit of doing. Resting my hand on the shifter does not help. I think cliffy1 is right, we are just going to have to live with the movement in the shifter. As far as the abrasive fabric, I have noticed that the cloth seats are hard as a rock especially on long trips. The stereo seemed nice at first, but it does lack depth especially bass. I really don't want to get a new stereo so I am planning I plan on changing some speakers in the next few months. If anyone has made a up-grade to thier stock stereo I would like to know how it worked. I noticed on this board one of the biggest complaints was the gas gauge is off, but the last time I filled up after the gas light went on was at 316 miles and it took 16.6 gallons. So I guess I don't have the problem the 2000 4Runner's are having. It is funny how little things are noticed when things are pretty much perfect. As far as extended warrenty they offered it to me and I turned it down. It was a Toyota warrenty and it seemed very reasonable. When I had a Acura and I had the car after 2 years I looked into the extended warrenty and the dealer said they could not do it. It would be intersesting to see what cliffy1 has to say about getting a extended warrenty at a later date.
  • Options
    pyrenuspyrenus Member Posts: 19
    Hello. I'm looking to buy an SUV probably within the next 8 months. Since prices are coming down, I've been expanding my options. My first choice WAS an 01 Pathfinder LE, but now I've started looking at 4Runner's as well. My question is, what are the major differences between the Limited 4Runners and the SR5's? From what I can see, its not very much.

Also, how do 4Runners compare to the new Nissan Pathfinders? I definitely want 4WD.

Thanks,
    PYRENUS
  • Options
    curyanecuryane Member Posts: 3
    We will be towing for the first time (fishing boat and trailer - short distances - 3500 lbs) and are looking at purchasing an SUV. Our problem is that we are limited to mid-size SUV's due the height of our garage. Currently we have the list narrowed down to the 4runner and the pathfinder le. Any advice on this subject?
  • Options
    The Pathfinder has no frame. Well, it does, but it is part of the body. This means that the tongue weight and all the pulling forces are being distributed to every door seal, weld point and cross member in the vehicle. For light duty or occasional use, this is not a huge problem. If you tow 3500 pounds often, you need something with an actual frame like the Runner.
  • Options
    prizmaprizma Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new SR5 2001 4Runner in March. I drive it very little (just went over 1000 miles) and in general experience is positive. However, there are few things which are a little annoying:

1. Cloth seats are made of a funny material: it is not very pleasant to touch (feels like paper), but it quickly gets dirty with fibers.

2. Bumpy ride.

3. Significant wind noise above 60 mph (although no road or engine noise).

4. Not enough visibility. I am 6'2" and I sometimes have to bow forward to see street lights or a road sign. My seat is always in the lowest position. By the way, there is no way I could fit in the 4Runner with a moonroof.

5. Running boards are useless (they are almost as high as the floor, which is really high). On top of that they are sticking out too far, so if you try to get out of the car stepping right on the ground (like I do), you unavoidably touch the board with your leg (not good in wet weather).

By the way, I noticed that my 4Runner sometimes makes very short, hardy noticeable horn sounds. It mostly happens when I accelerate or deccelerate. Is it normal?

Cheers
  • Options
    jgeerjgeer Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 4 cyl, 5sp, 1999. The car is in good condition, 35k, extras up to an SR5 level, and a Toyota used car warranty.
    My concern is two fold. First, the power of the 4 cyl. I drove it and it seemed ok, with the 5 sp. I will not win any races, but it had pep.
    I will only tow light things, nothing like a large boat. I also do not live in the mountains. Second, resale of a 4 cyl.
    Any thoughts, reactions, advice?
    Thanks, JG
  • Options
    woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    We bought a '00 4cyl, 5 sp. with upgrade #1. It's a 2.7L and admittedly has less power than the 3.3; it's a proven engine (basically a beafed up 2.4L) and as far as our needs has plenty power. We don't tow and usually it's a people hauler with added gear. We drive mountain roads in 5th gear except for really steep grades in 4th. This engine gets a bad rap; I think people are generally too horsepower crazy. Except for towing something heavy I recommend this engine. It's easier to work on because of ease of access to parts and we get 20 mpg on mixed mountain, highway, town and 4wd driveway and 28 on highway trips. These 4 cyls are rare I think because most people feel they need a V6 and because of this resale may suffer. Toyota dropped this engine option in '01, but it's still available in the truck. Also the 2.7 has a lower maintenance timing chain instead of the 3.3 timing belt. Let me know your decision, it would be nice to compare notes with a fellow 4 cyl owner,
  • Options
    r21070r21070 Member Posts: 2
    Both the tail lights of my 4Runner Limited went out at the same time.
    I was suspecting a blown fuse as the culprit. The fuse in the fuse box
    under the hood for the tail lights looks good.

Is there another fuse somewhere else in the back? any idea what could
    be the reason? Other than this, there is no other problem. Thanks.
  • Options
    Could somebody tell me what is the plastic knob-looking thing on the dashboard. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the Celica has one also, but that it is a daytime running lights sensor. Whenever it is bright though, my daytime running lights and those of all other 4Runners I see are still on. Thanks.
  • Options
    tommyb67tommyb67 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying either PathFinder or 4runner.
    Test drove both a "pre-owned" '98 4runner and a new 01 SR5 (both with moonroofs)....
    I'm 6ft tall and could not get comfortable in either..my head was up in the moon roof !!
    Its a shame because I like the body styling of the 4runner better,,but now am seriously considering the PF
    Is there more headroom w/o the moonroof ??
  • Options
    mmackenzie1mmackenzie1 Member Posts: 13
    Considering a lease on a SR5 4Runner. $1,578 down, $327/mo, 39 mo, 12k per year. The miles are more than I need. Question for the board: is this a good deal? Thanks.
  • Options
    jadedejadede Member Posts: 6
    Looking into the same.
    Also does anyone know where I can find a 2 wheel drive 4runner? What state along the east coast sells/leases them.

thanks
  • Options
    mmackenzie1mmackenzie1 Member Posts: 13
    Wilde Toyota in Milwaukee, WI. Advertized special. I think Toyota is trying to move the 4Runners because of the popularity of the new Highlanders.
  • Options
    jadedejadede Member Posts: 6
    THANKS, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT OPTIONS ETC.
  • Options
    akgakg Member Posts: 85
    Has anybody seen the specs on the 2002 4Runner yet? Any web-sites with photos? I'm waiting to purchase a vehicle until I see the new restyled model.
  • Options
    arrisarris Member Posts: 5
    Is there any way to keep power to my cigarette lighter or 12 volt outlets without turning the switch on? The only time my phone can receive a call is when the key is in the switch. This is in a '01 Forerunner.
  • Options
    gtmcd82gtmcd82 Member Posts: 1
    was looking at sequouia and qx4 but am a true 4runner, have had a 94, 96, and 98 limited, when it came time to do it I couldnt get rid of my toyota!!>! anyone seen specs of 2002 4runner??? thanks
  • Options
    I replaced the stock stereo with Pioneer FH-P8800.
    Big difference! This is a double din size stereo which fit perfectly in the existing hole. Seems like Pioneer made this series just for Toyotas. I ordered the harness from crutchfield(But I found out lately that they're available too from Walmart for a substantial savings. Look up posting no. 255 on how I removed the center console triming. I plan on replacing the paper speakers someday.

Mike
  • Options
    I thought the speakers were the main problem, but I guess it is both the stereo and the speakers. Did the stereo unit have both cassette and CD player? On my stock unit the antenna will go up when the radio is on and down when the CD player or cassette is playing, (nice touch), does this still happen with the new stereo unit? And last question, were did you buy it and how much was it? Actually that was two questions.
  • Options
    The Pioneer FH-P8800 has both CD and cassette and can control a CD changer.(search it in the internet for pix) It also has the antenna relay which brings up the stock power antenna whenever you turn on the tuner(Pioneer should pay me for this huh?). But from what I understand, this model has been superceeded by a new one. But they still have a lot available from different suppliers like crutchfield for $999(way too much I think). I'm in the military so I get it for a less price from our exchanges($700). It's price should be going down since it's a discontinued model.

I agree that the stock speakers definitely need replacing. Factory speakers are made of paper which gives off plain sound. I'm planning to replace mine in the near future. My suggestion to you is, change your speakers first and see if you are satisfied with the change in sound.

Change of topic: MOVING SHIFTERS
    The shifters will naturaly move because they are mounted (of course) on the transmission which is bolted on the engine. That is why they isolate the engine from the frame with rubber engine mounts, or in other vehicles liquid filed engine mounts, so its vibrations is minimaly felt on the body. I had a stick-shift Pathfinder which both shifters moves as much as my 4runner now.
  • Options
    mbm135mbm135 Member Posts: 2
    I made a big mistake yesterday. I drove a 4Runner to see what was the "big deal" after having been an Explorer owner for years. Wow. What can I say. I felt like I was driving a Mercedes. What a machine.

Anyway, subsequent negotiations with the dealer failed to produce the goal of owning one. They basically refused to lease unless I went 60 months and even then the difference in payment vs buying was less than $50. No way I will lease if that is the case.

So, what would you loyal Toyota fans consider a good deal? I am looking at a 2001 SR5 4X4 with a V6, Sport package, moonroof, alloy wheels, flared fenders, the works. MSRP of $33,245. Dealer would sell for about $30,600 and offered 4.9 financing. Can I do better?

Thanks and I hope I get to join this elite club someday. Man these things are expensive, but the real deal too!

Mike M
  • Options
    jtjackson33jtjackson33 Member Posts: 17
    I am in the market for an early '90s 4Runner and would be interested to hear from anyone who might recommend one year over another - are there any significant differences? What are the key things I should be looking for when buying a 4Runner of this vintage? Any help/advice - much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Mike,

I think you could do way better than $30600 now that they have $1000 rebate going on. Check prices at edmunds.com Also, Email or call Cliffy1 (Steve is not paying me for this.) I got both my 2001 Toyotas from him. He's with a dealership in Arlington VA.

Mike
  • Options
    mbm135 asked if $30,600 and 4.9% interest on a 33,245 4Runner is a good deal? Deals change, they come and go. My car was bought a few months ago was 20% off and was under invoice. Lately I have seen a slight rise in the price. One dealer is selling one price on-line at www.jimbarkleytoyota.com and they may give you a good idea of how much some dealers are marking off, some of the 4Runners they had today were close to your style and options. Also Edmunds TMV price can help. I have met two people that have used www.cars.com and they were pleased with the results, (they were not 4Runners however). With the low interest rate you stated and where your dealer is, it may or not be a good deal. You are doing the right thing, asking questions and I would recommend researching it some more. That way if it is a good deal at least you know before you buy.
  • Options
    johndoe6johndoe6 Member Posts: 12
    Would you consider buying a pre-owned Runner? I bought a '98 last year and it runs as well as any brand-new SUV (IMHO) You could at least get the price down into the low or mid-20's