Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Jeep chat is at http://itsajeep.org/chat.html

rb123: You can get the Detroit Truetrac limited-slip for like $350, installation would be another $350 or so. Unless you want seriously big tires (33" & up) the Dana 35 is enough but you will be amazed how much difference a limited-slip or locker makes traction-wise, even the crummy factory limited-slip has been great for me though it's starting to wear out (more slip and less "limited").

• Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    For not much more, you can get a lock rite or no-slip and install it yourself for free!

I think that is the route I might take.
  • Options
    Going bigger doesn't always mean you need to go wider also. There are some great benefits to taller and narrower (mpg, less strain on drivetrain, better in snow, better clearance meaning easier fit, easier turning, more nimble)

see these links:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272818

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278424

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261967

http://www.wheelingtire.com/maxxis_buckshot_mudders.htm

SIZE.............O.D......TREAD.....PRICE

215-85R-15........29.......6.7.....$100.00

245-85R-15........31.......7.7.....$126.00

275-85R-15........33.......8.6.....$145.00

• Options
    jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    I was referring only to SWB Jeeps

Walt
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I'd be glad to take Bama out with us or have him ride along anytime he wants. There are supose to be some decent trails just N of Birmingham that I need to get more info on. I think they are more challenging based on the pics & rigs I've seen on the 'net, but I'm sure one of the local club members could recommend something that we could play around on. I'll have to look into it and take him (if not TAZZ) when I head over that way.

Tom will get mad if I go out w/ Bama before heading up to KY with him; I'll have to plan accordingly...

-twylie
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hey I never said i didnt wanna go off-roading. I just dont wanna mess up my vehicle, Hey I will be glad to ride with anyone. Also i really dont have the time either, I work 6 days a week, plus I have 2 small kiddies too.
    Wheels, Tazz is a 2001 Anniversary Edition, only 4,097 were made. Plastic/Fiberglass, Either or, I believe that is safer than sailcloth.

Keep Jeepin
    Bama!
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Your advice is sound, and more or less what I'm trying to do. There is only one little problem - I owe more on the Taco than it is worth even if it were a great retail shape (which it isn't). It is still a month less than 2 years old and will be going over 80,000 miles next week - not many buyers looking for something like that. I figure the only way I can unload it at the moment is to trade it in with the Wrangler, which is worth more than I owe on it (even at 4 and a half years old and 105,000 miles).

If we go with just one car we'll be looking at 45,000-50,000 miles a year (more or less), so I don't think I'll ever be without a car payment!
  • Options
    wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    what came on your anniversary ed. jeep ? i've never seen one . i didn't even know thay had one. if you do go off road take those kids with you .wheeling is a family thing! your right the hard top dose look and feel safer. and i could be wrong about what it's made of. and it don'y sound like fun working 6 days a week. i could never go wheeling.
  • Options
    rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the info, I have had this jeep 18 months and it has not been off road yet, but I do plan to take it off road. Tsjay in the past did't you post about adding a locker or a limited slip to your TJ?
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Yeah, I posted about wanting one, but so far, I haven't gotten one. My differentials are both still open. :(

I have spent my money so far on armor, and I know that was the right thing to do, but that stuff ain't sexy. I have installed a Kilby gas tank skid, a Teraflex steering box skid, and some Sun Performance rocker guards.

I have also gone to BFG Mud Terrains and some AR767 wheels, so all of my expenditures haven't been for armor.

Have you seen my recent pics of Thelma Jane? Check em out in the photo gallery here in Edmunds or at Gill's.

Now, I'm in a holding pattern, waiting for some extra bucks to show up in my budget for a bigger lift and some 33s. Then, I would want to regear for the bigger tires, and at that time, I would like to have some type of lockers installed.

All this stuff works together, so it's hard to do things one at a time, and I don't have the money to do it all at once. If I want the bigger tires, I need more lift. If I get the bigger tires, I will want to change gearing to maintain the acceleration, if I get new gears, that's the logical time to install lockers.

It'll all happen eventually, but I am having a great time with Thelma Jane just like she is.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    Ducks told you WHERE we chat but not WHEN.

There is no official time, but most evenings, it seems like the chat room is pretty dead until about 9 PM CDST, which I think would be 8 PM your time. If you are on Pacific Time, it would be 7 PM, but I think you might be on Mountain Time?

Tom

• Options
    psktruckerpsktrucker Member Posts: 18
    Howdy you all... I'm new to the board and am very much interested in a Jeep Wrangler. Went on a test drive today in a 2003 Sahara and loved it. The big difference for me in the 2003 is they have moved the seat back so there is much more room when you are sitting behind the wheel.

I will be buying one with the 5 speed but it looks like you can get a 4 spd auto for 2003.

The 2 options for the Sahara that I'm am looking at are the Trac-Lock Differential and the 4-wheel disc brakes.

Should I be looking at anything else before I take the plunge? Your input is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Wheels the AE Wrangler was only available in Balck on Siverstone, Its basically a Sahara but you have the interior option.
    CD with sub
    rocker panels
    matching color flares
    Gas tank skid plate
    Mine is Black with the agate interior. It has the 60th Anniversary design on the side.
    Went to see my local dealer today, They are now offering 0.0% interest for 60 months on the 2002 wrangelers. Soo all of your future jeep owners here is your chance.

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA!
  • Options
    It would be tough to advise you about options without knowing how you plan to use your Jeep.

One of the real biggies is the top option: soft top, hard top, or dual top. This is a very important decision that will have a very significant impact on how much you enjoy your Jeep.

Another biggie is the rear end. If you are gonna do much offroading or are going to go to bigger tires some day, then the Dana 44 rear end could be very important. (Maybe Saharas have the Dana 44 standard? I have a Sport, so I don't know.)

Tell us what you think you will be doing with your Jeep, and tell us what kind of climate you have where you live. These will both be factors in deciding what options are appropriate for you.

Read a lot of posts in here, and get a feel for what others have for options and how they like or dislike them.

Come to Gill's chat room and chat real time with some Jeepers. Go to http://itsajeep.org and from the home page, click on Jeep Chat.

Ask any and all questions you may have about Jeeps. All of us here love to "talk Jeep."

Welcome to this message board, and let me say that I congratulate you on your choice of vehicles! :)

Tom

• Options
    tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    Does anybody have any experience in using a bicycle rack that is mounted to a trailer receiver hitch. I'm interested in putting on a rack that is capable of carrying two bikes. I know there are different size receivers and many types of racks. If anybody knows what works good on a Wrangler I would like to know. At this point I don't have a receiver hitch, so advice on that also would be appreciated. Things that I am considering are; what size receiver, a style that does not reduce ground clearance too much, cost, ease of use. I understand there are racks that serve a multipurpose. I am only interested in using it for bicycles. In the near future I am also planning on a 4" lift. I will need a receiver that will not interfere with that. I don't know, maybe they all clear that OK. Thanks
  • Options
    My Bud at work, Mike, who just recently got his Jeep had some bad luck today. He is driving his Jeep with the soft top on, but with no upper doors and no windows in the sides or in the back. The windows and door uppers were in bad shape when Mike bought the Jeep, so he just took off the door uppers and took out all the windows.

Well, we had three downpours today after lunch. Mike's Jeep had standing water in the floor.

Well, it's a Jeep, and it won't hurt anything. The dash got pretty wet, but all the electrical stuff works fine. The seats got soaked too.

He can lower that top tomorrow and let the Jeep sit out in the sun. I'm sure that will dry her out good.

Tom

• Options
    Man, it was so cool that you came to Gill's for a visit! Come back any time.

Tom

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks! I enjoyed it - fun group!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Does that guy in Venezula ever show up for the chats anymore? I still want to go stay in his hotel :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    Nope, WE are on Pacific time here in Las Vegas.
    Wewll I spoke to my dealer and my payoff is only $3500 - not too bad. They have a search out for the Jeep I want.... I'll keep you posted on futures....
  • Options
    Oh Baby! Hope you find just what you want, and man, is it ever a good time to be buying a new Jeep!

I heard they just came out with 0% for five years on the 02's that are left, and you get the seven year/70,000 (or is it 100,000?) mile warranty. Bigkahuna said in the Chat Room at Gill's last night that DC is matching your downpayment up to $1000. WOW!

Debs, are you reading this? Forget the stupid Cougar and get that Jeep you've been wanting for so long!

Tom

P.S. Chef, are you getting the Dana 44? I would think that you should get that for sure, since your plans are to lift and go to bigger tires. I think you said something about wheelin' that Jeep too, so be sure and hold out for a Jeep that has the Dana 44.
  • Options
    Tsjay
    Yes I want the Dana 44 and limited slip diff, the dealer told me that the dana 44 is a hard fine, but He is looking for it. I want the dana 44 limited slip, a/c, auto, dual tops, 30 caynon tires, and the 7 speaker system. I gave the guy like 4 differnt color combinations so it will be an easier find. And yes it is a GREAT time to buy at 0% financing at 60 months. I havent heard about DC matching downpayments, but my dealership is matching $500 down. Well I'll keep posted on my accomplishments on Monday...
  • Options
    i would not want to use your jeep for the kind of offroad i do ether.but i do see people do it.but you could do those fire roads. and now i know why you wash it all the time. black is not a good color for going offroad . my jeep looks like dirt so i don't care if it's clean or not.but it dose look nice when it is washed. i always think if i wash it some one will want to steal it. i work on the bad side of town. you keep on doing what you want with your jeep.
  • Options
    dgriff3466dgriff3466 Member Posts: 4
    I am going to purchase a Jeep in a few months and do not know whether to get a hrd top or not? What are the pro's of a hard top and would you recommend one?
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Pros: Security
    Less noise
    Rear wash/wipe
    Clearer windows

Cons: Takes ten minutes to remove
    Needs two people or a hoist to remove
    When removed you need somewhere to put it

Why not order the dual top option? You get the best of both, and it's cheaper than buying later.
  • Options
    Another relatively cheap option worth considering is the "smart" key which kills the engine if someone tries to hot-wire your ignition. Depends where you live, I guess, but it has saved one of the regulars here from having his Jeep stolen twice (yellowman, who live in, like, the San Fernando valley in L.A.). Not that we've heard from him recently...

ANyway tsjay is right, the hardest choice is the hard or soft top. I have both but don't really need the hard top anymore since I moved to California but I thanked my lucky stars for it when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. My advice is that if you live in the Sunbelt, don't get the hard top; otherwise consider the dual-top option.
  • Options
    jeep_boyjeep_boy Member Posts: 9
    Does Mike know about the drain plugs under the carpet. Make sure he pulls those and it will drain pretty good. When I had about 2 inches of water in mine I pulled those, got out the shop vac and within about a day everything was dry. And tell him he can get a set of tinted windows for about $150.
  • Options
    Today I asked my neighbor if he could stop over and give me a hand removing my hard top so I could raise the soft top. Both tops are on at this point because the soft top is factory stored under the hard top. The bolts came out like the video showed, the front clamps easily unfastened but that darn modular plug for the hard top electric. I finally gave up. The video says to press the sides and pull it apart. Well, it was not quiet that easy. First, there is not much room to work. I pressed and pulled still to do avail. I must be doing something wrong. I can't believe I got halted in my project by something so basic. Is there a trick to unfastening the plug? I put the bolts back on and at this point I'm planning a trip to the dealer Monday morning (tail between legs). If someone can solve my problem I won't have to embarrass myself Monday.

Tom
  • Options
    I have the hard top and love it. It hasn't been off for a number of reasons (no garage, weather). The hard top is better for a/c, and while MOST of Californians don't worry about how the top will hold up, there are those of us mountain dwellers who do. The hard top has no problems with 3 feet of snow, even though the Wrangler itself only managed a couple of feet before it got high-centered on built up snow/ice under the frame (good for an unexpected day off).

It is also quieter at highway speeds (no flapping), though I have heard that the newer tops they came out with (last year?) are better, and don't flap so much.

Last year I saw a liner for the inside of a hard top on quadratec's web site. I went there a couple of days ago, and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know where I might find one? Or are they not making them any more?
  • Options
    thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey Deb! What's this I hear about you getting (or is it got) a Cougar?! You got some 'spalining to do. Snap out of it and get over to Gill's tonight. We'll set you straight.
    Is anyone watching the History Channel? They have a show about 4X4's Then and now. Pretty good show.
  • Options
    You have my sympathy but I don't have any easy answer for you. The stupid modular plug always sticks for me too and I end up getting pliers and screwdrivers and forcing the thing apart. It has NEVER come apart easily for me, usually takes about 15 minutes of wrestling and cursing at it.
  • Options
    For a while after buying Thelma Jane, I grieved that I did not order the soft top or maybe the dual tops. I knew that I could take the hard top off, so I thought I might as well just get the hard top only. Well, what I didn't realize was that the hard top comes off, but it isn't a job you want to do every few days.

So, I thought I had messed up, but then I got a little 89 S10 pickup for a daily driver, and all of a sudden, the hard top only choice became the perfect choice. I was then in a position to take the hard top off (and the doors off!) and just leave Thela Jane that way all summer. I have something esle to drive whenever it is raining or whenever there is a good chance of rain.

If you are in a position where you don't have to drive the Jeep when there's a chance of rain, and if you have a garage to keep both the Jeep and the hard top in, then maybe the hard top only is the way to go for you.

I like the hard top fine in the winter. Also, I don't have to fool with unzipping windows at drive throughs, and I have the rear washer/wiper going for me. The hard top offers more security for items left in the Jeep, of course.

The decision is worth putting a lot of thought into, because it is just about the most important choice you have to make for obtaining the most satisfaction in owning your Jeep.

I would offer this suggestion: if you think you will EVER want the hard top, go ahead and get it with the Jeep. Those things cost a fortune to buy after the fact, if you get the factory quality.

Hope this helps, and be sure to ask any more questions that you might have.

I hope you end up making the choice that is best for you.

Tom

• Options
    initially is that your jeep will come with the wiring and plumbing for the windshield wiper and defroster. When I bought mine ('98) the ones that come from the factory with only the soft top are not wired or plumbed, so that you would have to also add the cost of that if you want them to function with a hard top added later on. I use the defroster all the time in winter, so I made sure that I got a hard top first. When I bought I had the idea that I would add a bikini top or a soft top later, but haven't felt any need for taking the top off.
  • Options
    Yeah, I pulled the floor plugs for him after the second downpour. Mike was busy helping to get the equipment in the mill started back up, since the storm knocked out the power. Mike is our plant engineer, and he had to get the mill going as soon as possible.

Tom

• Options
    Talk about getting "hooked up!" I thought it was just gonna be me and a guy with an XJ, but when we got down to Turkey Bay, there were a couple Jeeps just sitting in the parking area. We talked to those guys and invited them to go with us, but they turned the tables and invited us to go with them, as soon as the rest of their group arrived.

There ended up being 10 vehicles in our convoy on the trails! One XJ, on YJ, four TJs, and four CJs. Late in the day another XJ joined us.

AND GUESS WHAT??? FOR ONCE OLD TSJAY WAS NOT THE OLDEST ONE IN THE GROUP! There was another "Tom" there, and he was 65 years old. He had his wife with him too, and she was enjoying the wheelin' as much as he was.

One of the Jeeps today had two chicks in it! And the one driving was more adventurous than anyone else in the group. She was always wanting to try the mud holes when most of us went around, and she was wanting to find some steep hills to climb.

Quite a day!

Tom

• Options

Congratulations to my fellow Kentuckians on the Louisville team! The WORLD CHAMPION Louisville Little League Team!

Tom

• Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Wasn't that a great game? It even kept my second grade son spellbound. Up to now he thought that basketball and auto racing were the only true sports...:)
  • Options
    dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I always watch the finals and this year I missed it! Shoot! Well congrats a little late anyway. ;)

dwrangler... sme d
  • Options
    Be sure and keep us up to date on your search for an 02 Sport. I have heard that they are not only giving 0% for 60 months, but are also matching your down payment up to $1000. I believe you said they were matching you up to $500, but maybe they have sweeted the pot??? Maybe the $1000 is a regional thing?

Anyway, best of luck!

Tom

• Options
    appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Tluke,
    Funny you should ask about bike racks. My wife and I did a lot of research on what rack to get for her Wrangler (Soft-Top). We have a trailer hitch already, so we were looking at Hitch Mount versus Spare Tire Mounted.

We finally settled on a rack attached to the spare. We did it for a couple of reasons, but mainly I really liked the fact that we could easily open the tailgate without the interference of having a rack in the way.

Also, in your case, you wouldn't have to get the hitch installed just for the rack. And the receiver size and ground clearance questions would be moot.

We ended up buying a rack from Yakima called the SpareROC. (Lots of outdoor places sell it, but we got ours from REI. I think they are running a sale on them now for around $150...) Since it's just hanging on the back, I wanted a really tough rack and we have had great luck with Yakima roof racks in the past.

I installed it this weekend. Took my time, and it took 2 beers and about an hour and a half to get it installed. Seems to be good and sturdy and it keeps the bikes well off the ground.

This rack is just for 2 bikes, but you can buy extra accessories such as locks and a snow ski adapter (Holds 6 sets of skis or 4 snowboards). (We've got the ski adapter, but haven't tried it out yet... )

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide to go with!
    Cam
  • Options
    I am heading off to the dealership in a few minutes. I hope that they 1. located a Jeep for me and 2. they want to deal. You know how these guys are, you get there and then the story changes...I hate to buy cars, they jerk you around so much. Here in NV they try to use pressure tactics on you. Not a fun buying experiance..... Oh well, I 'll keep ya posted on the days events...
  • Options
    appstate88,
    This afternoon I stopped by the Schwinn bike store to see what they offered. They have several models in both the spare tire and hitch type. At this point I am leaning toward the hitch type. I have heard that the spare tire type will cause extra stress on the tailgate hinge not unlike when you mount an oversized tire on the tailgate. I most likely will be getting a receiver anyways so I might as well use it for the bike rack also. I can see how it might be faster to connect and disconnect the receiver type rack. I guess an advantage of the tire mounted rack is that you can still use the tailgate with bikes attached. Still getting ideas and shopping. Thanks for the input.
    Tom
  • Options
    Well, let me tell you:

I got a Tomken bumper with integrated receiver hitch. I like both a lot, but might do it differently if I had the choice. I might go with one which has the integrated tire and gas can carrier. Otherwise, the Tomken is great. I needed the receiver to have a 2000# towing rating, which it does. I tow a boat.

Now, for racks. I got a shelf type rack at Wally World for like $69 or $79. You can easily stand 2 or maybe 3 bikes on that, and bungie them to your tire and bumper. That rack even has an adapter for bike tires, but I didn't buy that (yet). It works fine the way I described for now. The upshot of that is you can use it for coolers, or other things besides bikes. It may not be as fancy as some of the "4X4" ones, with extra ground clearance, etc., but it does the job just fine for moi.
  • Options
    I feel for him (barely).

My 97 has seen its share of rain. I think I am going to go home today and rip the carpet out for drying (again).

Nothing a little driving topless in the sun won't cure!

:-)
  • Options
    I also have one of the kind with the arms and straps (like for attaching to a car trunk).

I used this one on vacation a few weeks ago, ON THE FRONT of the Jeep!!! I had the shelf rack in back with coolers and fishing gear, boogie board, etc., and put the two bikes up on the front.

It worked out pretty well, although I got a lot of looks from people on the way to the Cape. The bikes were great on Nantucket, but I felt VERY WEIRD since I own a Jeep, and ALMOST EVERYBODY ON NANTUCKET was driving a Jeep, most of them rentals. I couldn't believe it! Arrrrgh! Talk about frustrating...
  • Options
    markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    I have a spare-tire mounted bike rack from Rhode Gear. Cost about 70 bucks. It works great for my needs. I don't think it puts too much stress on the tailgate. Having said that, I never open the tailgate with bikes attached. That is asking for trouble, in my opinion. If I had other reasons to have a receiver, I would probably consider that option. I just didn't see any reason to get a new bumper, or add a hitch, and then pay $$$ for the carrier on top of that.
  • Options
    krisg2krisg2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks,

Can anyone provide any insight as to what Jeep did to increase the fuel economy ratings on the 2003 Wranglers fron 15 City - 18 Hwy in 2002 to 16 City - 19 Hwy in 2003 ??

Did changing the auto to a 4 speed make that much difference in the CAFE for that vehicle. I'm not aware of any other changes in the running gear on the '03 X/Sport/Sahara models.

See you later

Kris
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It doesn't seem unreasonable to attribute a one mpg increase to the new overdrive transmission.
  • Options
    my jeep hardly did any wheeling this weekend . went to the beach on sat and showed my friend how my jeep could go up a 4 ft. wall .it has real smal steeps on it. took a few trys [the swaybar was not undone] but i finely found the right line. hope to do a lot more wheeling on the 3-day weekend.
  • Options
    kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    I just got a reciever hitch luggage rack. I already have a utility trailer that I tow occasionally, but for small stuff (Including bikes, ice chests, golf clubs, luggage, etc) this is a great solution. Since my wife's minivan has a 1.25" reciever and Pepe has a 2" reciever I also got an adapter so that I can use it with both vehicles. Went to the cabin this weekend and it was great, put all of our luggage and a cooler on the rack, wife and I in the front seat, dogs in the back.

I even did some wheeling! Not really rough but my wife and I went exploring up forest service roads and also into some undeveloped areas looking for investment properties. My jeep has never been so muddy (It rained all night)!

Needless to say I went to the spray car wash and cleaned Pepe up!