Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Dude,
    you need move away from the left coast.
    anyway, im gald they didnt GET your jeep, just go the doors. I Wouldnt even wanna work somewhere that i couldn't keep a eye on TAZZ the whole day.
    Be careful out there..

Keep Jeepin
    ROLL TIDE
    BAMA
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Tom wrote:<<Man, you be careful with that Jeep! I never heard anyone compare the handling of a Jeep to that of a sports car.

The high center of gravity and short wheel base that make the Jeeps so capable offroad also make them very unstable ...>>

Thanks. "almost like a sports car" is a relative comparison (and I admit a couple of so-called sports cars from bygone days handled poorly). I was using common sense, of course, and at those speeds on that road wasn't in any real danger. But I was impressed compared to my old Jeep and some other cars and trucks from years gone by. A Defender 90, by comparison, may have more wheel travel, but corners "mushier" than this WrangleSport. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying it.
    Larry
    Anonymous02, Mac24 is right. email me if you need a copy of the page from the 2000 Wrangler manual that addresses this.
    Larry
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My 1999 Sahara also has the Canyon wheels and gas shocks. While I won't confuse the TJ with my track rat, I also thinks it handles extremely well for a short wheelbase SUV. I frequently travel a twisty road which features lots of elevation changes and off camber corners yet I can hustle the Sahara through at a surprising rate. Ditto for a long sweeper of an on-ramp I encounter in my drive to work. On my gravel farm driveway I love to hang the tail out around the corners, though I wouldn't advise that particular trick unless you have considerable experience driving at rather "aggressive" slip angles...:-o
    Div2, You think we're onto something? How about the sight of a lowered (for a change) Wrangler showing up at open track day? A few years back, I signed up with a friend for a motorcycle "safety" course at the nearby Sears Point Raceway. I was on a fast bike, but my friend had a bent wheel on his regular bike, so he brought his brothers Honda Valkerie, a monster of a 6 cylinder cruiser. At first, that thing looked totally rediculous on the track, but he made no excuses, payed attention to the lessons, and made huge improvements in the course of the day (while the sparks were flying. LOL!) What a sight!
    Larry
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'd say a good driver could use a TJ to humiliate more than a few poseurs(and in a straight line as well-a few hundred posts ago I told about sucking the headlights out of a Stratus R/T driven by some backward-capped doofus...). I also suspect a set of Pirelli Scorpions would sharpen up the handling even more, though I still don't think I'd take it to a track school :)
  • lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    Hey All:
    I attend the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this week and saw a bunch of cool stuff for our Jeeps! They had every possible thing you could want for a Wrangler. I have a bunch of pictures from the show, about 7 or 8 of Wranglers, but again I dont know how to post so all can see. I hope this process isn't too complicated, would love to post em...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the pic posting instructions in the Town Hall help file. Biggest problem is finding a place to "host" the photos, since we don't. Tom may have some ideas, but he's prolly out wheeling with Ross Allen :-)

Steve, Host
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I can host photos for you on my server. Nothing crazy but a handful of pictures each is fine. Just email me to let me know that you want some photos hosted adn I'll give you an alternate eamil address where you can send them. Once I get them, I'll FTP them to my server and send you a URL back.

-twylie
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    My friends, I saw something awful today at Turkey Bay. I am posting this so that if any of you operate a dune buggy, four wheeler, dirt bike, whatever, you will wear all the proper safety equipment and operate the vehicle in a safe manner.

A guy was just flying down the long flat stretch at the entrance to Turkey Bay today, and he rolled his dune buggy.

There is a huge, level field to your right as you enter Turkey Bay OHV Area, and this is where people park and unload their Jeep, four wheelers, or whatever. This is where a lot of people hang out and wait for others to arrive. Most of this area is grass, but on the northern side, there is a long, wide gravel and dirt area.

This guy in the dune buggy was going really fast, and I guess he thought he didn't have room to stop before reaching the trees at the east end of the long gravel stretch. He locked up his brakes and turned the steering wheel hard left. This sent him into a roll, and he was apparently only wearing the lap belt portion of his harness.

As the dune buggy rolled, his upper body and arms were hanging out of the vechicle. He looked like a rag doll being tossed around. It was NOT something anyone would want to see.

I will skip the gorey details, but he was hurt so badly that they had to take him out in a helicopter.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! USE COMMON SENSE!

Let's keep this guy and his family in our prayers.

Tom
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'll second that advice!

tidester, host
    Now that I have my new digi and am trying to learn some of the "tricks of the trade," I would like some recommendations for photo editing software.

I would like to be able to shoot and store in higher resolution but be able to resize my pics to something suitable for emailing or posting on web sites. I don't think I will want to do much of anything fancy as far as editing, just maybe red eye correction and maybe some cropping.

Thanks

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Sorry Microsoft Photo Editor didn't work for you. It looks like the price has gone up since I bought it, but ACDSee is a full feature photo suite and can be bought over the web ($50) for download (15 meg I think). It offers everything you need and then some. Not the cheapest, but very nice software.

-twylie
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Tom-
    Sounds terrible about what happened, it's unfortunate he wasn't strapped in better. Sometimes people get carried away 'having fun' and don't think about the safety of themselves and others, what a shame. We'll wish him the best from out West.

I use Photoshop 7.0 for all my digital work, it's very powerful. But, it's not user friendly and takes considerable time to wade through all the functions/features to do what you want.

For quick and dirty photo editing, including resolution changes and cropping, Microsoft's PhotoDraw is great. That came part of their Office 2000 Premium suite, if you have access to that.

Of course there is a lot of shareware titles out there to choose from, some being better than others, check download.com. There are some small little freeware progs that will do batch resizing, which is really handy if you're about to post a bunch of pics.

Later,
    Pete
    Thanks! Will check out that link.

Tom

• wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    it's wheelerman, there's a lot of dumb drivers at hollister hills . i went to h.h. yesterday and man was it nuts! i have never drove my jeep in the mud before .so on sat. it was sunny so i went to h.h. and there was a lot of jeeps and whatever else . i had a lot of fun . tom did you ever go look at the photos from the trip ?
    Which pics are ya talkin' about? I have seen some of the pics at Rob's site.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I use Photoshop 6.0, and far prefer it to Microsoft Photo Editor. I've been using it for a number of years - started with version 3.0. That version came with a lovely tutorial which I worked through (that was fun for me) and taught me the basics of controlling the program. You can do a fair amount (like resizing) by just looking at the menus, and some (but certainly not all) of it is intuitive. If you know someone connected to a school they can get the academic version at a very reasonable price (one of my favorite shopping places - the student store's computer department).

I know what you mean about people getting into trouble through ignorance. I had a long conversation with some very nice people who tried to drive up one of the dirt roads around here. They had never been on the road before, and believed the mountain biker who said that someone else had gone up the road with a trailer. What the biker didn't say was that the previous driver was hauling a small trailer with quads on it - not a 30 foot travel trailer like what they had!

Now that hunting season is over (well, it will be in a few more hours), and they've reopened the Angeles National Forest, things should settle down around here. My poor dog is going stir crazy with only getting walks around the block instead of hitting the trails. And that is because there are always a couple of stupid hunters out there. Like those 'wheelers who do destructive things, they give their sport a bad name.
  • jeepster94jeepster94 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Wrangler and I am getting water in the cab via the vent on the hood by the window. I guess the water gets vaccumed into the vent and leaks through the vent holes and heat box. Does anyone know what I could do to keep the water from coming in? And also, I just bought an Ultra top and I have an inch gap between the windsheild and the tophalf soft door in the corner that makes alot of noise along with a gap between the rear gate and plastic window(I installed the wether molding that came with the kit, but there is still a big gap). Any help would be awesome.
    Welcome! Sorry, but I can't help ya, since I have never owned a YJ. My fist ever Jeep is the one I have now, an 01 Sport.

Hope someone else in here has something for ya. All I wanted to do was say hi and welcome. Stick around and join the "family."

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I hope everyone is safe from the weather last night..
    We had some fierce storms here in BAMA. 12 deaths so far.
    We dodged a bullet at the restaurant tornado missed us by 1 mile detroyed a westen sizzlin' & a dr's office.
    Tom I know Kentucky got some storms.

Take Care
    Keep Jeepin
    BAMA

THANK YOU!

Tom

Fortunately, there were no tornadoes very close to my house or in our immediate area. There was some wind damage in various places. I don't think there was even much of that around here in my county.

Glad you came out OK down there, but it sounds like many others were not so lucky.

Tom

Wow - that would be too close for comfort for me. Glad everything with you is OK, and I hope the same goes for all of the other folks on this board.
  • smedcougarsmedcougar Member Posts: 27
    A great big DITTO to what tomster said! Thanks to all those who have served and are currently serving! Thanks for your sacrifice. Everytime I hear the national anthem sung at a hockey game or other sporting event I shed a tear of pride and rememberance of friends and family that made that sacrifice for many like myself...again thanks.

I wish I would have felt like going to the Veterans Day Parade in Downtown St. Louis but was so miserable after using the leaf vac to get up all the leaves; I'm allergic to dust and mold; that I had a nasty migrane all day and into the night. I know that's not the smartest thing to do with allergies and all but I didn't want my parents to go out and try to do it themselves...they're both getting over the flu. I don't want them to suffer needlessly. Anyway, next time...I'm gonna use the mower...less dust flyin' around :).

Welcome to the new and future Jeepsters in the family! I'm still hangin on to the future Jeep on down the road. Enjoy!

smedcougar
    I know this is off topic, but did you use one of those masks that cover your nose and mouth? I'm allergic to grass and weeds, and had a bad time last spring weedwacking the yard. Wondered if one of them would make a difference...
    Our rainy season started in a big way last week, and lasts untill April. Has anyone ever seen or built a hardtop sound insulation kit for the Wrangler hardtop? I'm thinking it just needs to cover the topmost flat inside surface, could be vinyl material over foam, easy to clean, and would go a long way to deaden the sound of the driving rain. Just curious. Maybe I'll build one if there's none available.
    I hope you all fared well in the storms, tornados, etc
    Larry
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    LOL!

Thanks, you helped cheer me up this rainy Mond...Tuesday!
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    You can try JT Whitney. Don't give up if it is not on the web site. You can order a Jeep only catalog that may have it. I am sure that I saw it in their latest Jeep catalog. Otherwise, Home Depot may have what you need. Trouble will be finding an adhesive that can withstand the temp differences and moisture.

Good luck.
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    likalar,
    I once owned a 1952 Jeep pick up that had the same problem. There was nothing on the inside of the steel cab ! I lived in Eugene, Or.(rains alot) at the time and it was noisy and COLD.
    I was able to get some carpet pad and glue it to the ceiling. I don't remember what I covered the pad with but it made a HUGE difference. Carpet pad isn't very pretty so you would want to cover it with something. (maybe carpet?) The nice thing about carpet pad is that it has good insulating value for it's relative thickness, and it is very pliable and easy to work with. (also cheap)!

Hope this helps,

dewars
    I'm almost positive I saw some type of insulation for a hard top in Quadratec last year. However, I went there a month or 2 ago and couldn't find anything. I've thought about something (like the idea of carpet pad) surrounded by some type of material. Then instead of glueing it, I thought about using strong velcro - the kind you use for securing equipment (comes in earthquake kits). I would want to be able to remove it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It may be too thin for your needs, but the hardware stores have rolls of heating duct liner stuff intended to insulate and quieten home duct work - should stick good and it's nice and shiny :-)

Steve, Host
    If you are serious (are you?) about this, be careful. You don't want to create a fire trap for yourself.

How about 1/2 inch foamboard with the foil coating which is used for vinyl siding on houses? Use some of that "Great Stuff" foam or caulking for adhesive, or floor tile adhesive?

But really, this is a Jeep!
    I've been in a hardtop Jeep that had a liner installed and it was quieter than stock (still no Lexus though...), and the owner said it was marginally warmer in cold weather. Theirs was a custom job with Dynamat attached directly to the hartop, with custom panels that were adhesed to the Dynamat with a 3M product. The guy said he spent a whole weekend doing it, but it looked very nice. Every bit of soundproofing helps; +10db increase is twice as loud to the human ear. I added some Dynamat to my Explorer since it's a commuter vehicle and it noticably quieter.

Sounds like a fun project. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to tackle it.

-twylie
    Disclaimer: I did this to my Jeep and take no responsibility for your Jeep should you attempt this. I feel it's safe, but you may not. If you're not comfortable doing it, don't try it. My feelings won't be hurt either way, but I thought there might be some others interested in what I did.

Tonight, I did the quickest mod ever on my Jeep. 5 min. tops! I "fixed" the fog lights so they stay on with the high beams. I know I know, fog lights are meant to be run with low beams (or no beams like DC allows!) but I digress. Let me jump back a bit...

I recently installed IPF H4 headlamp inserts to improve my nighttime visibility. Overall, a great upgrade for not too much $. The one "downside" I noticed is that because the high beams really are designed to throw light up and out, I lost a fair bit of illumination to the shoulders closer to the Jeep (but long range illumination is wonderful!). To compensate for this, I wanted to be able to leave the foglights on since they throw a decent amount of light to the shoulders at close distance. After some searching, I found the solution and boy is it easy. On 2001 and up TJ's with factory fogs, pop the power distribution center cover next to the airbox. Find the fog lamp relay (#35 in my 2001), pull it out and check the bottom of the relay. You'll find one of the pins is marked "1". You want to bend this pin on the relay out of the way, so it doesn't make contact in the PDC. I found the pin and bent it on the surface of my workbench. First step is to bend it 90 degrees flush to the bottom face of the realy. Once you've done that, bend the pin around the body of the relay, so it's wrapped up the side a short distance. Pop the relay back in and try it out. Works great and it looks like I got some of my shoulder illumination back when the high beams are on.

I can shoot some pics later this week if anyone is interested, but it takes longer to read how to do it than it does to make the change.

-twylie
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I forgot to mention that I trusted my gas gauge and thought I had less than a gallon left in the tank. Turns out that I had more like 3 gallons which made a difference when added to the 60 pound skid plate.

Run that puppy as empty as you can.

Still a happy camper.
    thanks for the tip. I traded email with Brad last night and he has the skids in stock and can ship today, so getting it before next weekend shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again for the tip; I'll be sure to run it well past E.

-twylie
    Thanks for bringing up the safety issue. I didn't even think about it while I was musing about it. If I ever get serious about doing anything about it, I'll keep it in mind.
    Thanks everyone for all the good comments/ideas for insulating a hardtop. It was just a half-serious idea, but now I've almost convinced myself to at least experiment a bit. The ideas from all of you (temperature ranges, safety, adhesives, materials to try, etc), will help a lot. Laying it upside down on a big table or floor would be the better way to work on it, instead of on the Jeep. I wonder if there's a space age light-weight, fireproof insulation spray (in white, of course, to match the existing surface) already available? I'll post here again if I actually try anything. Thanks!!!
    Larry
    P.S. I enjoyed Anonymous' comments ("But, really! This is a Jeep!") So now I picture Anonymous in a Jeep with the carpets removed, CD player, Cruise control, and doors long-gone to E-Bay, windshield flipped forward no matter what the weather, with a retro drivers seat with coil springs popping thru the vinyl. THAT'S a Jeep! LOL!
    I dug this up after our chat last night.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/air/v10012.htm

For $100, you can get almost the same functional specs as the ARB one for less than half the price. These units seem to have a pretty good reputation among Jeepers. For occasional use, it would be fine I think. If you're planning on spending any more, everyone I spoke with seems to suggest going full blown on board air via a York compressor and Kilby brackets. I have a York system "on the list" of possibilities, but for my light use, the hardmount is fine as long as you're not in a huge hurry.

My used ARB install:

http://ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm#ARBcomp

-twylie

"...now I picture Anonymous in a Jeep with the carpets removed, CD player, Cruise control, and doors long-gone to E-Bay, windshield flipped forward no matter what the weather, with a retro drivers seat with coil springs popping thru the vinyl. THAT'S a Jeep! LOL!"

I had the back carpet out for a long time. Just cleaned it up and put in this weekend. A lot of sand and sticks in there!

CD? Cruise Control? ????

I wish I could get a front bench seat for my Wrangler. THAT would be awesome. The driver's seat IS peeling, however, and I'm sure the metal WILL be showing thru by the end of next summer. I hope to get a seat cover before then.

:-)
    Just wanted to throw out a heads up for those that change their own oil... I did mine Monday night and when I went to pull the oil filler cap on top of the valve cover, I noticed a ring of grime where the pressure ring fits against the valve cover. Not a big deal, but I wasn't careful enough in wiping it out/off and knocked a small chunk of grime down on top of the valves. I was fortunate that it landed on top and I was able to suck it back out. Hopefully I got most of it, but it's not the kind of grime I want getting down into my engine. I'll need to be more careful; I think the "cant' turn it too tight" cap is partly responsible due to its design that leaves and open groove right next to the inlet hole once the cap is removed. Tough to describe, but if you look at it, it may make more sense.

I also wanted to remind everyone to keep the front suspension and steering links greased up. There are 7 grease fitting on the front of a TJ and mine took anywhere from 3-5 pumps on the grease gun to get the boots back in shape from when I last did it 3k miles ago. I haven't been to a quick lube place in a long time, but this seems like something that might be easily overlooked or left off when someone else is doing it.

-twylie
  • nhjeeper1nhjeeper1 Member Posts: 3
    I don't have my jeep on the road yet, its a 91 and
    needs some more work for inspection. I should be on the road next week, after shocks and exhaust system. I didn't know jeepers wave to each other. I also ride a bike so I know how it feels to share a wave with other riders. After reading a bunch of posts, I'm glad I got a 6 cyl with a 5 spd tranny. I can't wait to on the trails. Can anyone advise on a good set of shocks? See you on
    the road!!
    Welcome!

Read back, or use search to find the links on Jeep wave!
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

Thanks for the sympathy on the latest criminal act on my Jeep. I know, moving is the simplest option, but...there are a few other factors, besides a commute to work and money saved. As a 20-something (okay, now 30) year old single guy and native city boy, I really enjoy living in the midst of the city. I'm sort of right in the middle of LA proper - not far from Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, or Westwood. And I know it doesn't sound like it, but I live in a pretty decent area! (at least for LA) I've got a really cool apartment, and considering its size, quality, and location, I have a GREAT deal on it (a little more than 1/2 the going rate). Hopefully oneday soon my business will be doing well enough so I can move into a place with a garage - in the meantime I'm asking around my neighborhood to see if I can rent something covered. I got a flashing LED light installed for only $65 last weekend, and it seems to work great - on when the ignition's off, and vice-versa. Anyway, thanks again for all the well-wishes. :-)

yellowman
    Thanks for posting the link to Stu's site! Without that, I don't think I ever would have been able to find those grease points to lube.

yellowman
    Hey there

No, I'm not right next to a campus, although UCLA is about a 15 minute drive away, and there are a number of USC and UCLA college students that live in this area. I doubt this was the work of college freshmen looking for a joy-ride, though. I think this was more of a "custom order" job. All three times, there was minimal damage to the Jeep other than what was necessary for them to get into the Jeep - not one shard of broken glass. That suggests to me that someone wanted a yellow Jeep specifically and these yayhoos were trying to obtain mine. I thank the Sentry Key system for saving it twice, and the "Unbrake-able Auto Lock" for preventing an outright theft attempt the third time, when they just took the doors. After that, it was just a question of sending a "don't bother" message to would-be thieves.

yellowman
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    I have found all 7 zerks(sp?) in the front-end area of my TJ and squirted some grease in them. Question, how much should I put in? I normally do one lever compression on the grease gun at each oil change, but it never changes the shape of the rubber boot.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions!
    than Anonymous posted a link to about grease points has a zillion great photos of "do it yourself projects", mostly for the competent mechanic, some for the beginner, from spark-plug replacement to differential fluid changing, to axle rebuilding. This guy does a great job 'splaining and illustrating with his camera. Worth a look, if you havn't already. http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml
    Larry