Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    starbucksstarbucks Member Posts: 13
    I went to a Jeep dealership today!!! They had around 14 new Wranglers that were X series. I talked to this one salesman who gave me the 'ol salesman's pitch about how great this car is (I do belive it), and how cool I look in it (hahaha). They only had 2 Wranglers (X) that were patriot blue, and neither of them had automatic transmission. He said to sit in it, and he jumped in the drivers seat and we took off. When we got to a parking lot, he let me out and said that I should take the wheel (easier said that done). I told him that I never worked a manual (I accually don't), and he wanted to teach me. I politely refused, after giving me a little grief, he drove back to the dealership.

He showed me some other colors, but I stand firm on the only color I want is Patriot Blue.

After I talked to him for a while, I said that I would prefer just to custom build it, and have it sent to the dealership. He said that there would be a $500 fee for delivery, and I asked him why, and said that it cost THEM to deliver it. (Bunch of Bullcrap), so I said that another dealership would do it for free, and started to walk away..... He chased me to my car and said that he would do it for free also. The total amount he said was $24,600 (with dealer markup, and discounts) I knew this was a lot of bunk because I did my homework!!!

So while he was talking to the Sales Manager, I took out my PDA and set it to calculator mode. I typed in what I built it for online ($21,600 with discount), and added the 5%. The amount that I should pay for this car was $22,750. He finally came back after 20 minutes. and said that they would custom order it. I told him my offer of $22,700, and said that the least he would do was $24,200. After around 15 minutes of bickering, I finally said that I would do $22,800, and not a cent more.

He fianlly came down to $23,500, and I just frankly said that he had my offer, and that was it. I started to walk away, and get back in my car (my friends car, I already sold mine by myself), and he chased me like a dog chasing taillights. I finally got out 2 feet from the road, and he fianlly convinced me to come back into the dealership. After another 20 minutes, he gave me his final price of $23,000 even. I accepted, and I filled out the paperwork.

I also had to give him a $700 down payment to keep until the Jeep was delivered. I agreed and gave him my Visa. He said that he would call me when my car was in, and I thanked him. I drove out of the dealership thinking I got a great deal, what does everyone else think? From $24,600 to $23,000. What does everyone think?
  • Options
    gdh3gdh3 Member Posts: 28
    I think you did real well. Whenever I leave a car dealership with that sort of an experience, I feel as though I was violated and need to shower. It sounds like you left with the upper hand and feeling good.
    -gdh
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I too love my manual. I was a little worried on my first Jamboree off road adventure a few weeks back, but everything went fine and I only stalled it out 2 or 3 times. Mostly my fault, I was on the break pedal too much that first day. Day 2 I realized and trusted the amazing compression of 4 lo 1st gear. The automatics were sliding down a few of the steep downhills, because they had to slow down. I was able to "inch" down the hill without touching the breaks at all. Plus, I think manual is just more fun to drive :shades:

-Dan
  • Options
    ranchgirlranchgirl Member Posts: 5
    I know I'm probably comparing apples to oranges, but here's my dilemma....I want a convertible, top down, sun in my face, wind in my hair...all the cliches. :shades: I've looked at all the convertible cars there are and can't decide. The kicker to this whole choice is we have a ranch in Northern California where we spend a lot of time during the summers with all kinds of terrain to go out and explore. In fact the roads there are referred to as "Jeep" roads. ;)
    The rest of the year, it's city life and highway driving. Would I be miserable all winter having to manage the challenges of city driving with my off road vehicle? Or would I be on the ranch, rain or shine, any moment I could enjoying my new found freedom from cars? :P
    I know it's truly a personal choice but it's nice to hear the pro's and con's out there.
  • Options
    drperez007drperez007 Member Posts: 30
    Hey, Starbucks. Good luck on the 101. Understand AZ DPS has been running a "speed reduction program" out there (not to mention those #%$* photocop speed cameras on Frank Lloyd Wright). I don't think I've heard of a city with as many freeway rollovers in rush-hour as Phoenix (every day!) BTW, I bought my '04 X (Willys Edition) from Airpark in Scottsdale. Straight shooters, no BS fees, excellent price (and they had to trade to get it). With Phoenix traffic, you do probably want to consider an auto (although my manual is loads of fun, I don't really drive it in rush-hour traffic). I don't take the soft top down; I just remove the windows, the doors, the sides, and the back for the summer. Too hot to have that sun beating down on me. I did trade my stock tires for the Bridgestone Dueler Revos (among a few other minor "changes") and I am very happy with them over the Goodyears. Good luck!

Steve

And remember, let's be careful out there...
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Starbucks:

CONGRATULATIONS! Yeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

So, what are you talking about when you say your Jeep will be "delivered?" You mean they found one like you want at another dealership and are going to do a dealer trade, or are you going to factory order a 2006? Must be you are talking about a dealer trade, since you are getting the employee pricing, right?

Keep us posted! Do you know what gearing you are getting?

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    starbucksstarbucks Member Posts: 13
    The dealership that I'm purchasing mine at has a dealership in Texas that they do business with has the model I want will the exact options I want. I don't know how they pay them though, but I really like it. I should be recieving it in 2 weeks.

I purchased it at Power Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge in Phoenix. I would recommend the dealership if you are good at negotiation, all the salesman are very knowledgeable on the cars. He suggested the 3.07 since I would probobly be doing mostly highway driving.

I was going to wait, but I really need a car, and I wanted that employee discount. I absolutely love the Patriot Blue color. I also got the regular doors, and not the ones with roll up windows. I love to be outdoors, and the wind in my hair.But yes, when I said "custom built" I meant with all the options that I wanted, it was my exact specifications.

I'll "jeep" you all posted on my progress. Thanks very much.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, my 1999 Sahara is my daily driver; I put @35 miles per day on it. I have the full doors and softtop and it suits me just fine. Most of my driving is on suburban secondary roads or interstates. The maximum comfortable cruise speed is around 75 mph. As for city driving, it works a treat, as the Brits say. The Wrangler is small and nimble so it fits in a lot of spaces most vehicles cannot. The only other droptops that might suit you better for city driving would be the Mini and the Miata, but of course they have no off-road capability.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't see much problem, really. You could always move to the ranch full time (yeah, right). Or just buy an Unlimited automatic.

That does assume that you could live without power windows and doors, and don't mind a vehicle that is noisier than a Lexus. If you don't mind doing without some of those (my opinion, unnecessary) amenities, then an Unlimited might be just the thing.

Our 2 vehicles are a '98 Wrangler Sport and a '04 Unlimited. The Unlimited is our daily driver and our commute is from Frazier Park to West Los Angeles (75 miles one way, from about 6,000 feet to sea level and includes the Grapevine, Newhall and Sepulveda Passes). The seats are comfortable, the Unlimited is quieter than the Sport (even though the Unlimited is a soft top and the Sport is a hard top). The extra length makes it much more stable in high winds (the Sport is exceptionally skittish). The I6 engine has plenty of power to maintain freeway speeds (well, 70 mph) going up the Grapevine. It isn't a sports car. Even the Unlimited is bouncier than a Lexus, but it isn't as bad as the Sport.

The soft top got us through last winter without any problem (including the occasional snow). If you don't mind crank windows and a convertible that takes lots of tugging and a few swear words (at the beginning) to manipulate, it sure is fun.

One thing that the Sport has over most vehicles (including the Unlimited) in the city is the turning radius. You can easily park it just about anywhere, and do U turns in narrow streets.

Does that sound like something you could live with?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How about buying an old cheap Jeep and just parking it at the ranch over the winter?

The I'll "jeep" you comment makes me think someone should invent a horn that can be tuned to should like jeep-jeep when you blow the horn (think Roadrunner cartoons - meepmeep),

Steve, Host
  • Options
    redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    The opportunities to explore open terrain and "Jeep roads" would be very hard to resist for most of us in this forum! Plus, keep these in mind for "on-roading" with a Wrangler:

1) Many people practice the "Jeep wave" - - which is a fun thing that can lift your spirit when you're around other cars.
    2) The wind-in-your-hair deal would work for most any convertible, but in a Jeep you have a better view! (At least you're higher up and have a more commanding view of the road.)
    3) With a Jeep, the fact that you accept all the idiosyncrasies of the design, and still manage to love your ride - - well, that just identifies you as a fun-loving, flexible person. At least as far as it applies to your Jeep!
    4) One of those idiosyncrasies is pretty marginal fuel economy (at least as compared to Miata's or Mini's). Maybe the suggestion to keep a city car and a ranch Jeep is the best idea? Nah...... once you've explored the Jeep roads up North, you'll want to spend as much time tooling around in your baby as you can!

Of course, we COULD be biased! ;)
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Steve, they already have that horn. Just listen to any Honda. :)

As for a daily driver Jeep, I have mine sitting in the parking lot right now at work with top and doors off and I drive it every day I can that way. Even in the winter, I prefer driving it (except when I can't scrape the side plastic windows).

A jeep is definitely NOT a Lexus or such as far as ride quality or performance, but it is something special to nearly everybody who has one. My wife looks at me funny when I choose the Jeep over the BMW for daily work, even when it is 95 degrees with matching humidity.

The idea of an old Jeep to keep at the ranch would be good if you REALLY want a more luxurious/sporty convertible for intown driving. Can't blame ya there. My next vehicle will be a hard top convertible of some type - maybe SLK or a new TT (if they go with a hard top) or even a BMW vert (again, if the new droptop is hardtop). Then there is always a coupe with a removeable roof, like a Vette *drool*! A car convertible will probably get better gas mileage than the Jeep will, which you probably want to consider if you are on the West Coast...

With either choice, just go with what feels best to you. Try driving some Jeeps with tops up/down/off and see how it feels for you.

-Paul
  • Options
    mrnaturalmrnatural Member Posts: 21
    The only suitable horn for a Jeep with attitude would be an OOGAH horn.
    Reminds me of old Nellybelle on the vintage Roy Rogers show.
  • Options
    wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    OK, you guys are going to think I drive a "long" wrangler to compensate for having to ride the short bus to school all those years. There are NO screws exposed--or poorly hidden--anywhere on this trim piece on my '05. It appears to be a single piece that starts on the top of the dash just aft on the defroster vent perforations, then wrap over the front of the dash, past the center vents around the radio and switch cluster to the bottom of the dash. I have tugged firmly, but it ain't movin'. Anyone have experience with an '05? Sorry for the redundancy!

Have you cursed your dash panel today?

Markster
  • Options
    myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    Just grab it on the window side and roll it towards you. It will come right off.
  • Options
    ranchgirlranchgirl Member Posts: 5
    See, I knew I'd get lot's of insight from everyone. Thanks for all of the responses.
    As far as buying an old Jeep just for the ranch, I thought of it but my husband's not too keen on buying an older car that may have "issues". Also, I probably won't get away with TWO cars... :blush:
    It's funny that I was at this crossroads several years ago and opted for a car because I felt the car was more practical for commuting. I still wish I'd tried the Jeep instead. So, there's my answer.
    The Unlimited seems to be the one I'm tending to like more because of the extra storage and , maybe, a smoother ride. Plus, there's more room for my daughter and all of her stuff, too.
    Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    A couple of days ago my stock-suspended 85K TJ began exhibiting some weird handling characteristics. In particular, the suspension seems to have lost most-if not all-of its roll stiffness-especially in right-hand turns. In fact, I turned into the lot at work at my normal pace and the thing leaned so much that I thought it was going to flop onto its side. Yesterday I spent about 30 minutes crawling underneath checking the various control arms, anti-roll bar end links, bushings, etc., and everything appeared to be tight and in good condition. Any ideas on where to look next? Thanks!
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    once you get the piece off by the windshield , here is a page from the (2004 ) service manual describing removal of the center bezel. I couldn't find the page describing the piece by the windshield.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/jeff62301/misc%20stuff/centerbezel.jpg

jeff
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Failed shock absorber?
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    The long plastic piece on top of the dash just pops right off. The two screws are underneath it right in the middle...
  • Options
    Thanks. Went out to the parking garage earlier and pulled out the piece adjacent to the windshield (lifted one end, worked my way down) which exposed the two screws in the top of the "bezel". Stopped at that point until I get home tonight and have access to some tools. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll replace the factory POS radio/6 disc changer and speakers while I'm at it. I don't think I'll pay the premium for a head unit with XM receiver built in because I like the portability of my Roady 2. And, most aftermarket head units include an auxilary input that will allow me to connect the Roady w/o an FM modulator. Thanks again all!
  • Options
    I saw a 1971 CJ-5 Jeep for sale online yesterday - it was $11,800!

I mean, it looked tricked out and all, but so much for buying an old cheap one to park at the ranch.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'd be happy to sell you my '98 for less than that - it doesn't have "issues" even though it gets ignored except on weekends (and then only occasionally). It starts right up and willingly takes the trash to the dump or me to a trailhead. Occasionally it even does the run into work if my other half is heading in a different direction (about twice a year).

Well, maybe I wouldn't be willing to sell it - I bought it new, I still love it and where else would I find a car that can be used so infrequently and be so faithful? On second thought, forget it!
  • Options
    Take out the ashtray. There is a third and final one behind it. Then it should pop off pretty easily.

-Paul
  • Options
    Noble Black Steed was in nice shape when I last saw it and the back seat is in pristine condition I'm sure! :)

-Paul
  • Options
    No ashtray in my '05. I have the Smoker's Group option: a $30 insert for the cup holder. At least someone at DCJ has a sense of humor. Thought about tossing it, but decided it may make a good mounting spot for something some day. GPS? Small pet?
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    I thought I'd relay this story I just got from my nephew a few minutes ago..
    In June of this year he leased an '05 Wrangler from a dealer near him in Brooklyn, NY.
    In July he recieved this recall notice in the mail and immediately called his dealer.
    The dealer made light of the recall and said they would take care of it when he brought it in for his first oil-change...(the car had 1500 miles on it at that point).Last week, while driving in western NJ on vacation with his wife the check engine light came on, followed immediately by every other idiot light...at which time he immediately pulled off the road and shut off the car....He checked the liquids under the hood and discovered all levels were correct...the car would not restart..He called roadside service and they came and picked up the car and towed him to the nearest dealer in Hackettstown, NJ. The dealer said they could do nothing for him, no loaner, no car of any kind and suggested he call a local cab.
    He called the cab company, and found the cheapest way for he and his wife to get back to NYC was a limo for 150 bucks...The dealer in NJ contacted him Monday morning...(this happened at 3 p.m. on Saturday last)...at first reprimanding him for not having the recall done; then, realizing the car was leased in June..3 months after the recall (the dealer should have fixed this problem before leasing him the vehicle) , dropping that particular line of conversation. The car needs a new engine..in the minute or so after the idiot light came on the engine self destructed. He wanted to know if he could get a loaner car for the two week period his car will be laid up..The dealer denied the request. He also thinks he should be reimbursed for his 150 dollar outlay in getting home...maybe even compensated for loss of his vacation...
    My thoughts on this whole issue are this:
    If American automobile manufacturers want us to buy their cars, they had better change their attitude toward their customers...In my opinion this is inexcusable behavior by Chrysler Corp and it's agents...
    Comments anyone......Thanks...Jack
  • Options
    We have 3 Roady 2s and 2 home kits, which is another advantage of the portable unit. Here's where I mounted it in my Rubi:

• Options
    That looks great. I have an automatic and the console is laid out a little differently. I mounted the swivel mount (shipped w/ the Roady 2) to the small panel where the air bag switch would be (visible in your photo, right of locker switch). Will route the wires tonight and try to post a photo soon.
  • Options
    We looked at mounting it there as well, but when in 5th gear it looked like I'd have had the potential to hit it. I think I'm going to mount the quick disconnect for the Cobra 75 in the spot where the airbag switch would be...
  • Options
    ........In my opinion this is inexcusable behavior by Chrysler Corp and it's agents...

What did DC do wrong? :confuse:

Sounded like a story about an unethical car dealer who chose to do the wrong thing at every opportunity. I sympathize with your nephew who's the unfortunate victim of an 'old school' Brooklyn dealership, but he has plenty of recourse to make the dealer's eyes water. ;)
  • Options
    I had considered the shocks, but I have the OEM gas shocks that came with the 30" Canyon wheel package and I thought they were good for 100K. That said, I guess I'll be buying a set of Bilsteins in the very near future...
  • Options
    dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    It's been almost a year since I bought my Wrangler and I'm still as happy as I was on the first day. This summer my daughter and I have taken it camping a few times and really enjoyed it. The problem is that while I'm really a lot of fun to camp with, I think my 12 y/o daughter might enjoy having a friend or two along. As you all know, the Wrangler can carry people or stuff but not both at the same time. I'm thinking of getting a small trailer but I don't have any experience with them. Any advice? Good types, bad types, good sources of info? I've seen kits for them, is that a good idea? My Wrangler is a stock X and I already have a 2" receiver hitch but would need to add wiring too.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

I bought a 4x8 folding utility trailer in kit form from Harbor Freight about 6-8 years ago and it it awesome. I decked it with 3/4" treated plywood and eventually built a 2x4 stake bed as well. It folds in the center and the tongue folds down, then the whole thing sits on built-in brackets w/ 4 casters for storage. Takes up about 8 sq. ft. when not in use. I paid extra for the version with 12" wheels--a good investment if it will see any highway miles. They also have a much smaller--4x4?- version that doesn't fold, but would probably just lean against a wall out of the way. This may be a better option if you will only use it for camping, but I will warn you that once you have one you will use it far more than you ever thought. It's my poor man's pick-up truck :) If access to your camping area(s) involves much rugged terrain you may have to consider something that is more suitable for offroad use.
  • Options
    I forgot to add that I think this trailer sells for about $250-280 and includes lights, etc.
  • Options
    utahjeeputahjeep Member Posts: 24
    Adding the trailer wiring is easy. All of the RV places around here (and I am sure where you are) sell wiring kits that run about $18 for the Wrangler. They have a pass-through connector that goes inline with the connector for the right-rear tail light. It plugs right in, and you are all set. It should take about 3 minutes to install, maybe 5 if you take your time.
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I've got a 5x8 utility trailer, love it! its got a wire mesh floor. the kind you see for sale at lowe's, farm stores, etc. I bought mine used for $300.

great for firewood, taking yard waste to the compost site, picking up my extra set of tires, helping friends move, etc.

if I was in the market for another, I'd be getting one at least 10 ft long. my 8 footer is a bit hard to see in the rear and side view mirrors. mine has a tilt bed and did not have a tailgate. I had a friend weld some channel iron on it last weekend, now I can drop a 2x10 in for a tailgate.

jeff

but the coolest trailers for jeeps have to be surplused military trailers!!
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    The dealer he dealt with reference the rental etc., was the Chrysler-Jeep dealer in Hackettstown, NJ. These people are agents of the Chrysler Corp..They are the people who represent Chrysler to the American public..They obviously don't care about their customers...And to that I answer...Why should we care about them?. Buy something else..It's a big retail world out there..It's the American way...Jack
  • Options
    If you got a bad burger at the local McDonald's franchise would you refuse to eat at any McDonald's restaurant? DCJ, like McDonald's, has limited control over the day-to-day actions of their "agents", but it has been my experience that the manufacturers tend to take complaints about dealers seriously. If DCJ refused to intervene then your position may well be justified, but your post does not indicate that has happened. Just my $.02.
  • Options
    Buy something else..It's a big retail world out there........

Ok, to follow your reasoning we should buy from a manufacturer who doesn't have a bad dealership selling their products. Great, so that would be.............?????
  • Options
    Buy something else..It's a big retail world out there........

But there is only one Jeep Wrangler. It's not like a Honda Accord, which is pretty much the same as a Chevy Lumina, Nissan Maxima, Ford Taurus, etc, etc, etc...
  • Options
    guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    I would suspect that DC (and their agents) will need to find a way to be accommodating to a lot of people on this one. Per the NHTSA website this defect may affect up to 16,000 2005 Wranglers. That would be quite a few non repeat customers.
  • Options
    drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    That is an EXTREMELY logical post. Old YJ Wranglers, or even early 97ish TJ Wranglers are starting to get pretty inexpensive. And, since they're as simple as a hammer, they pretty much run forever. Jp magazine is doing a project right now where they finally have to replace their test Wrangler's 4-cyl motor after 350,000 miles. That's Toyota territory.

However, I live with an unlimited in the city, and believe me, you have to want it. You will be more involved with a vehicle and the elements than you might want to.

Looking back on last year, I might have taken the same money and purchased a used older TJ AND a used Honda/Toyota small vehicle for the same money if I'd known gas would go to 2.70$ per gallon. However, I still love my Jeep. I sold a minivan to buy it, and can't get over how UN-invisible I now am. Every person in the fast-food windows asks me still "What is that?" "What year is it?" etc... I guess the Unlimited is still a little rare, and people do a double-take. If I'm parked somewhere, I see people walking up to it making hand gestures about the extra length. And, driving around without the top and doors in the summer gets you envious stares all day. So all in all, just rent one for a couple of days to see what it might be like to live with. If that's you, then please join us! If you choose a used Jeep for temporary duty, please also join us! Don't let the "Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" stickers fool you, new owners are always welcome :)
  • Options
    drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    I saw a 1971 CJ-5 Jeep for sale online yesterday - it was $11,800!

I mean, it looked tricked out and all, but so much for buying an old cheap one to park at the ranch.

Steve, Host

Steve, check out austinjeeps.com. I grew up in the seventies and eighties, the era of the "Golden Eagle" and "Renegade" and all the other cool CJ-7's. By the time I bought my first 89 YJ, it was too late for the killer graphics on a new one. Recently, I've found myself longing to own one of the more collectible older CJ's. It wouldn't be a trail truck. Maybe even the '76 red, white and blue, or the Levi's denim CJ-5 (talk about marketing tie-ins!) or just a really well-done Golden Eagle in those proper orange or brown disco colors...
  • Options
    My first new car was a '74 CJ-5 (I think - been too long). I had been used to seeing friends buy Beetles for $1999 and I think I paid about twice that for the CJ-5. (I got my first house that year for $19k too).

So seeing a '71 for almost 12 large threw me for a bit of a loop. :)

Of course that $19k house is probably $200,000 now too, but you just don't think of cars appreciating.

And no, I'm not in the market (I don't think, LOL).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Anyone have any good recommendations on getting a stubborn set of spark p lug wires off the spark plugs? I finally went out to put a new set of spark plugs in today and the boots are being unbelievable uncooperative. I bought some tool that is supposed to slide down and grab the boot at the bottom so you can just pull up but it doesn't even fit in the hole.
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    So what is the expected life span of the stock 4 banger. My 95 Rio Grande now has 105,000 miles on it and I would like to know what to look out for.

Also, just finished my hard top hoist (homemade) and it works like a charm. I can have the top off and suspended on the garage ceiling in about 10-15 minutes. I'll try to post some pix soon and some ball park costs.

Thank you,

David
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    4 grand of 1974 dollars is almost 17 grand of 2005 dollars. so the price of new jeeps is actually pretty close to the historical measure. 12 grand for a used cj5 seems a bit much though. people through money into them and think they will get it back.
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    A while back we were discussing the quasi death wobble some of us were having on our unmodified Wranglers. I recall we explored this pretty thoroughly but never got a concrete answer. I have a new take on it (I think it's new; don't remember it from previous postings).

Quick disclaimer: I think I've demonstrated pretty clearly in the past that I am not mechanically inclined, so I'll be paraphrasing quite a bit. Also, the mechanic involved is not a Jeep specialist, just a guy my family has used for 20 years and who has my implicit trust.

After a thorough inspection, my mechanic propsoed the following. That the death wobble can be traced back to the shocks. I've allegedly got the high pressure shocks that come with Package 25D. My mechanic ran the bounce test -- leaning repeatedly down on each fender. He was surprised how easy it was to bounce the Jeep and got no resistance. And when he let go, it kept bouncing. The back performed a little better. Then we tried the test on his truck. Broke a sweat getting it to bounce, and upon letting go, it bounced once and stopped. (My shocks BTW only have 24K miles on them).

He suggests that the cushy suspension may be an effort to ease the ride for street drivers. Still, he was surprised at just how cushy it was, and thinks that, paired with the solid front axle, the shocks may be the the problem when hitting bumps and washboard roads.

He recommends getting a higher grade, adjustable, after market shock.

Once again I am paraphrasing, and may have misrepresented his enitre take.

Any thoughts / reactions?

-Mike
  • Options
    Certainly sounds like your shocks are shot, but I've never heard of worn shocks causing death wobble. It usually requires a suspension lift to start with, then add worn or loose steering and suspension joints.