Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Tom<

We will certainly keep both you and RA in our prayers. He seems to have become part of the family here as well. Please keep us posted.

Mark
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Thanks ever so much, Mark.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    as I mentioned before, there are a lot of us who have lost beloved pets. We are always here for you, if you need anything. You know how to get a hold of me, should you need to.

I hope and pray the vet has some meds that will help RA get around more, without the pain.

-Paul
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Ask the doc about glucosamine and chondroitin for dogs.

tidester, host
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Tom, I hope you get some good news from the Vet.

"ARGHH I wish I had checked the board earlier, I would have told you to try these:
    http://www.jeepit.com/bracket_gallery_2.htm" -GoDucks

Scott posted this a little while ago, about having mirrors when the doors are off.
    I bought the brackets and some 6" round mirrors from AutoZone. Thanks Scott,
    I'm really happy with them. They connect very easily and quickly to the hinge holes. After clicking the link, check out the sample pics. Cost me about $25 plus shipping for 2 brackets...2 mirrors from AutoZone ran about $16. Pretty reasonable solution.
    I meant to take a pic and post it, but forgot to before putting my doors back on today.....which leads me to this.....

I just put my doors on and top up for the first time in 12 days. I'm in CT, not SoCal! I've been here for 5 yrs and this is the longest rain free / sunny sky streak I can remember. It's been great. Mornings and late nights have been a little chilly, but it's been well worth it. Keep in mind, I don't have a garage, so I usually put the top up at the slightest chance of rain. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky the whole time until today. We're finally slated to get rain the next 2-3 days.

Anyway, for those "newbies" that haven't tried doors off, I highly recommend it.
    I also reccommend the mirror brackets as well.

-Dan
  • Options
    Thanks, Tidester, but Ross has been on glucosamine/chondroitin for a long time. He also gets Rimadyl.

Maybe there is some new stuff that will help him.

I can't sleep, so I got back up and got on the puter. It's 1:45 AM here now.

Tom
  • Options
    ravagerravager Member Posts: 20
    I guess today is the day. Hang in there Ross!

You too tsjay...
  • Options
    randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Tom: Some people probably can't understand the emotional attachment some of us have with our beloved pets....and obviously many of your fellow forum members do!

Not to undermine or steal your post, I feel compelled to tell everyone something stupid I did about two weeks ago to my Shi-Zhu, "Major". I take him to work with me Mon/Wed/Fri. With the top down, I leash him to the passenger grab bar above the glove box so he won't jump or fall out (yes, he's trained, but when he sees something, he instinctively wants to chase it....he doesn't realize 60 MPH isn't a good time to give chase....)

Big mistake....because I didn't check the length of his leash. I stopped off for a five minute errand, and came out to find Major unconscious, totally unresponsive with fixed pupils...he had jumped over the driver's side door and literally hung himself. He lost his bowels, and wasn't breathing. I literally went BESERK. I immediately began chest compressions and mouth to snout breathing I learned from Discovery Channel, I guess. Oh, God, it was horrible, all the while thinking I just killed my beloved dog with my own negligence.

After about 7 minutes, he kicked slightly, and I jumped in my Jeep with him in my lap, continuing chest compressions, rushing him to our vet, thankfully only five minutes away. He received an injection (epinephrine??) and oxygen....in short, he survived, with no apparent problems with oxygen deprivation...no thanks to me.

I couldn't work for two days after that, and to this day, I wake up each morning apologizing to him for allowing him to get in that situation. Needless to say, his leash length is such that he can't even reach either door with the top down.

Please everyone..I know you probably use(d) more common sense than I did with Major, but it's so easy to sometimes forget what danger we..as people...can place our pets in. Just remember my hard-learned lesson and watch your pets while driving.....

Back to you, Tom....with your other, personal situation, this is the last thing you needed to deal with. We're all so sorry, and yes...you and RA are both in our thoughts and prayers. I feel for you, my friend....Please keep us informed.

Randy
  • Options
    Randy:

I'm so very happy that Major came out OK! You must have been absolutely terrified. Thank God that you knew doggie CPR and that you did not give up. Those seven minutes must have seemed like an eternity.

Now, forgive yourself. Your little Bud would tell you that he forgives you, if he could talk. The only reason he was even with you that day is because you love him so much and wanted him to be with you.

I'll post an update on Ross in a separate message.

Thanks for your prayers, Randy.

Tom
  • Options
    The news is not good.

I thought that his problem was hip joint deterioration, but X-rays showed that his hip joints are actually in pretty good shape for his age and his size.

The Doc said his problem is a ligament or ligaments in one or both of his "stifles." Stifles are the doggy equivalents of human knees.

I have the option of doing nothing, and Doc said Ross would have some "good days" and some "bad days." I would increase his Rimadyl to twice a day instead of once a day. He would need to go on a weight loss program. I bought him a sack of Purina OM, which is a dry food that can only be bought from the Vet and is supposed to help a dog lose weight.

Doc said NO treats, NO table scraps, and not even any Milk Bones. Of course, those Mc Donalds hamburgers that he so dearly loves are out now. Peeps, he didn't get the Mickey D hamburgers very often at all, so please don't think that I let him have them all the time. I always knew that they were not exactly good for him. I wasn't aware that he had been getting table scraps, but the wife had been giving him some when she cleared the table after meals. I just found that out today.

I just find it hard to believe that he will see any "good days," when I watch him struggle to get on his feet while lying on the floor. I see the pitiful way that he stumbles around out in the yard when I take him out to do his business, and I wonder how he will ever have another "good day."

I don't want my buddy to suffer. I owe him so much more than that.

Doc said the other option is surgery, which would involve rearranging bones in the stifle. The cost is $2500 per leg. Bones would be cut or broken and grafted into new positions. It would be MAJOR surgery, and it would take up to 12 weeks for the bones to grow back together. The leg would have to be TOTALLY immobilized during the healing process. He would have to be helped in and out of the house, and he could have no physical activity at all.

He could possibly need that surgery on both sides, and that would be $5000 and would, of course, double the length of time that he is laid up.

There would be no guarantee that the surgery would work, although the success rate is supposed to be very high.

I just can't see putting Ross Allen through such an orderal, and maybe even having to do it twice, since he might need the surgery on both legs.

I sure do need the Good Lord's guidance in what to do. I guess I can watch Ross for a few days and see if he begins to walk better and to be able to get up without struggling so much. I think it will become obvious in the next few days as to what I should do. I'm afraid I almost already know what that will be... the thing that I have always dreaded and have already shed many tears over.

Please, continue to pray for us.

Tom
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Tom, I'm so sorry to hear about RA's ailments. I don't think I'd want him to put him through that ordeal either. Good luck.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I was so, so, sorry to read about Ross Allen's problems. I can honestly say that I know how you feel. I've always had a dog or two(or three, or four) around the house. Watching a long time companion and friend suffer is really difficult. I will certainly keep you and Ross Allen in my prayers. Miracles DO happen, and my family and I will be praying for one!
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Tom, I don't know if this will help Ross, but if you check out websites like Orvis, they designate a lot of their online catalog space to pets. Specifically, they have items for dogs not getting around too well. Example: ramps that allow dogs to stroll at a leisurely incline into cars, trucks, and Jeeps, rather than have to hop into them. Also, elevated food dishes, so they don't have to lean over every time they eat. Worth a glance.

Best,
    Mike
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    That sounds like a horrible experience; glad it all worked out.

You might want to check out this link (I posted it once as a joke on how to keep toddlers secure in a Wrangler). Obviously, it's really meant for dogs. Click it, and look through the harnesses.

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/jeepdogs.html

-Mike
  • Options
    jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Tom,

Ross Allen's problems are a heartbreaker, I know. I wish the best for you and him. My wife and I have a 15 year old Chow named Gizzie that has tremendous arthritis problems, and we practically have to carry her everywhere. She loves riding in the Jeep, and the bank and other drive-thru places always want to know where she is, but it is hard for her to sit in the seat anymore. Her mind is sharp, as I'm guessing Ross Allen's is, but it is so hard to see her suffer. She seems happy still, but surgery is out of the question.

Only you will know what to do. My heart is aching for you. I sincerely mean that.

Godspeed Ross Allen.

Our thoughts will be with him and you.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that I have turned this message board into a pet loss forum. Please, don't be afraid to post Jeep stuff. That's what we are here for.

Many of you are fairly new and don't know me or Ross Allen very well. You may be holding back on your posting of Jeep related stuff out of respect for what I am going through. I appreciate it, but, please, go on with your posting. I will not be offended in the least. I will not think of it as your being disrespectful.

To all of you who have posted and/or sent emails wishing Ross Allen well and telling me that you have been praying for us, all I can say is THANK YOU. Your support truly helps me get through these hard times.

God bless all of you.

Tom
  • Options
    spotbearsdspotbearsd Member Posts: 33
    I know we are waaaaay off topic, but when I saw that your dog is on Rimadyl (Carprofen) I had to share some info with you: My lab was on Rimadyl for the same problem. A degenerative cartilage loss in his front elbows and resulting arthritis. Now, this is a young dog who at age 4 started this medication and had been on it for 5 years. Rimadyl is very hard on their organs. I suggest you have blood work done every 6 months to check his output levels (I believe it is the liver that it really effects). There is also something called Adequan that is an injection series that is effective in some dogs ( it was not with mine.) I had to take my dog off Rimadyl recently because he began to vomit almost daily in the middle of the night. Once I took him off it, we had no occurances. When I put him back on it, the vomiting resumed. Sometimes, the side effects of these medications are just not worth it. I now just give him an Ascriptin once and a while if he has been especially active. He is happy as a clam now, has good days and stiff days (related directly to his activity levels), but I can see that he is sharper and feeling better without all the medication inside him.

In closing, I have even had accupuncture done on this dog (which was actually somewhat effective but short lasting) and in the end, I found it just best to keep him warm, let him sleep inside at night on a comfy bed, help him in and out of the vehicle, and just keep him low-key is what really seemed to work. Good luck!

Btw- There is a new medication that just came out about 6 mo ago. It treats the same problem as Rimadyl. I cant remember what it was called, but it was half the price. However, it didnt have much effect in my dog, so we passed on it. My Vet said most of these types of medications can have different success levels in each animal.
  • Options
    Thanks, Spotbear.

Ross doesn't show any bad side effects from his Rimadyl. He has been on it a long time. Now, as to its effectiveness, I can't say. I know how he has done while taking it, but I don't know how he would have done if I had not started him on it.

I plan to talk to our regular vet today. The lady that saw Ross Allen yesterday was a substitute, but she was very nice and seemed competent. I would still prefer that the regular vet has a chance to tell me what he thinks. If nothing else, I would at least be getting a second opinion.

I hate to go back to work today. I would prefer to be home with Ross all day. I have asked my wife to say home as much as she can today, so that Ross will not be alone.

We do have another dog, Blackie, who was "dumped" on us by my daughter two years ago. Blackie is a black lab who is just a year or two younger than Ross. Those two get along fine, so Ross would have some company, even if the wife has to go somewhere.

I am up very early today, since I crashed early last night, after getting hardly any sleep the night before. Ross has yet to try to get on his feet since I have been up. He seems to be a little more at ease this morning, so I hope that means something.

You don't have to worry about Ross Allen sleeping inside at night. He is strictly a house dog, and he sleeps in the floor beside my bed. He has slept in the bed with me many times, but he seems to prefer the nice, cool linoleum floor.

Please, all of you wonderful friends, keep praying for us. I believe in the power of prayer.

Tom and Ross Allen
  • Options
    I took Ross out to do his business just now, and he got up off the floor with much less struggling, and he did not yelp in pain. He is walking MUCH better today, too.

I give thanks to the Good Lord for hearing and answering prayer.

I'm not sure where all of this is heading, but I love the improvement that I see in Ross today.

This is no time to quit praying. Please, all of you, continue praying for us.

Tom and Ross Allen
  • Options
    I told you last night to wait a few days and an answer may present itself. I hope this is a good indication that you may have more time than you were thinking with him.

Getting another opinion is always a good thing and I hope Ross Allen's state today is a positive one. You know how to get a hold of me. I'll be out of the office later today after about noon or so, but my cell will be with me. So let me know how he is doing.

I'm still praying and you guys are at the top of my thoughts right now.

-Paul
  • Options
    Tom...forgive me for intruding on your situation with Ross Allen....I'm so pleased and happy that he's doing better today...and you're so right....the power of prayer is awesome.....

I'm a Type A guy, and am getting totally frustrated. About a month ago, I purchased a Cobra 75WX ST all in one handset and a Cobra HGA 1000 antenna. I received reception, but I couldn't apparently transmit....my first thought was no one wanted to acknowledge me, but after 3 days, I figured something was wrong.

I called Cobra, and they requested I send the unit back for inspection. After a week, I received it back yesterday with no explanation, only a piece of paper saying I needed to purchase an SWR meter...gee...thanks. I connected all components again this morning....still good reception but after an hour, no one would answer a request for a "radio check".

With such a simple, (22" ??) magnetic mount antenna, I wouldn't have thought I'd need to adjust this antenna...am I completely wrong? Cobra's "reply" said I'd need not only the meter, but a patch cable, which by all posts here would only be needed once!

Granted, my antenna does have a hex screw for adjustments, but there is only about 3" of play for "up/down" adjustment. I've tried various increments manually (raising/lowering) the antenna, but no results.

Could it be the antenna is defective, or do I truly need to get the meter/cable to make the proper adjustment?

Confounds me why a man's toys must be so difficult to put together!!!! I did do a search on this, but found no definitive topics on my problem.

Any help would be appreciated..please!

Thanks,

Randy

P.S. Tom...today will continue to be a good day not only for you, but for Ross Allen......
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    With such a simple, (22" ??) magnetic mount antenna, I wouldn't have thought I'd need to adjust this antenna...am I completely wrong? Cobra's "reply" said I'd need not only the meter, but a patch cable, which by all posts here would only be needed once!

Yes, Cobra are correct on both counts. You can't connect the SWR meter without a patch cable (it's only a couple of bucks!), as the meter has to be connected in line with the antenna. There's no such thing as a 'one size fits all' antenna. The SWR measurement of your magnetic antenna will vary in accordance with where it's located on the Jeep, and the length of the cable connecting it, and even whether the cable is coiled up or not.

If you try to transmit for any length of time with a 'bad' SWR setting you can damage the radio. Finally, you could have a faulty antenna, but you still need access to an SWR meter.

Edit: Why not check eBay? I just looked and there's one that finishes in two hours with no bids that selling for $4.99, another that's brand new that finishes in nine hours with no bids selling for $8.00, and many, many more.
  • Options
    Mac:

Thanks for the information. And, for the idea on eBay. Am checking now!

Randy
  • Options
    Won't radio shack tune your antennae for you for a fee? I just received my Cobra and have to send it back. It looked like it was an open box. So, I'll have to wait a while longer to get it installed.
  • Options
    Won't radio shack tune your antennae for you for a fee?

One would think so...but...I just went there, arrived at 11:00, and found a handwritten note on the door that said "Back In 30 Minutes". Say what? No mention of what time they left!

Amidst my frustration, I waited for 20 minutes, and a sole clerk finally ambled up and opened the door, offering me no help at all. That's one store I wouldn't ask outside assistance for! :(

Anyway, I found the meter and cable, came back to the office and tuned it per specifications. Finally got someone to answer my "radio check" but said the transmission was very weak.

Don't know if my antenna is defective, the unit itself, or I'm just a dumb...well, figure the last word. ;)

By the way...I placed my magnet-mount antenna on the wheel well over my front left wheel. I guess maybe I'll need to move it around to other locations to see if that helps transmission improvement. I wouldn't think I'd have any interference in that spot. If after playing around with it this weekend and it still gives me problems, I'll just go get another antenna and see if that's what's giving me the problem.

Thanks, all...

Randy
  • Options
    This is a copy of a post I made elsewhere about Ross Allen. My joy about his apparent improvement this AM was short lived. He is even worse than he was yesterday.

Tom and Ross Allen

Here's how things stand now with Ross Allen.

The surgery is out of the question! I called and talked to the vet who would be assisting the orthopedic surgeon. The operation involves breaking, cutting, rearranging, and grafting bones in the stifle (knee) joint. The leg would have to be immobilized for possibly up to 12 weeks, since an older dog's bones won't heal as fast as would a younger dog's bones. Poor Ross would have to endure the surgery and the painful days following it. He would have a cast on that leg for up to 12 weeks. He is ten years old, and I can't see him going through something like that.

I cannot put him through that without a 100% chance that he woud recover and that the surgery would benefit him. No one can give me such a guarantee, of course. What if I put him through that and then had to put him down anyway? That would mean that I had made his last days miserable for nothing.

Also, I misunderstood when I thought that they did both legs at the same time. They do one leg and wait until it is healed completely before doing the other leg. If Ross needed both legs done, that would mean double the misery. He might not need both legs done, but that is a real possibility.

So, Ross Allen will have to get better naturally, or else I will have to put him down. It will be the very hardest thing I have ever had to do, if it comes to that.

If it becomes obvious that he is going to be in pain a significant amount of the time, then I will not let him suffer that way.

I was so excited and so happy this morning. He seemed to be a LOT better. He wasn't anywhere near normal, but he was a whole lot better. He could get up easier and he could walk much better. I called home a couple times from work and got reports on him from my wife. She said he seemed to be doing pretty good. Well, when I took him out after work to do his business, he was even worse than he was yesterday. It broke my heart to see him like that. He stumbled and fell completely down at least twice.

I WILL NOT let this continue. I want to talk to his regular vet tomorrow to see if he can get a cortisone shot or something to help him. I want his regular vet to advise me as to what I should do. The substitute vet was a nice lady and seemed to know her stuff, but I still want Ross Allen's regular vet to tell me what options I have.

Oh, my wonderful friends, PLEASE pray for me and Ross. My heart is broken. I can't even get the peace from having made the decision one way or the other, since Ross seems better and then gets worse again. When he is better, I get my hopes up that I will be able to keep him for a while, then when he gets worse, I know that I cannot let him go on like that. My emotions have been like a yo yo. I can't handle much more of this.

Tom and Ross Allen
  • Options
    noffsingernoffsinger Member Posts: 1
    Hey I just wanted to let you know that is your case a swr meter is probably not going to help. I see that you say that you have a magnetic antenna. With a magnetic mount antenna you have to have a ground plain to go with it, which means that you have to have it on something that is metal. If you do not have it on something that is metal try to move it to the hood of the vehicle. To be honest with you, more then likely there is something wrong with the mic on your unit. With a cb frequency the range of the freq is so that even with a bad antenna if you can here them talking then you can talk back to them. If I were you I would go to the closest two way radio shop that you can find and ask them if they can test it for you. The are probably going to test it for free and let you know what is wrong with it. I am a motorola radio technician and we get this kind of stuff in all the time.

Thanks

- Justin
  • Options
    Tom: Just sent you a private e-mail. Stay strong, and remember we're all praying for you and Ross Allen...

Randy
  • Options
    Justin:

Appreciate the input and advice! I was confident something was wrong with the mic, but Cobra said, "no", so I tried the SWR meter...haven't tried transmission yet this morning, but if still "no go" after getting the meter reading correct, I'll send the unit back (again) to Cobra.

By the way....my antenna is on my Wrangler's (flat) left front fender, which is metal, and should provide the adequate ground plain you mentioned.

Thanks again,

Randy
  • Options
    drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Well...sort of. Not to disagree, it's just an issue of a flat metal surface without obstructions. If it's a short antenna, and is trying to transmit through the Jeep in any part (the cab, or even partially the side toward the hood) there will be interference. Firestik recommends that 60% of any CB antenna sticks up past the top of the truck. Obviously this is not good for Jeepers off road. Personally, I had a body-mounted short antenna for short distance, and on the highway I ran a magnetic on the nice square metal roof of my old XJ, and the performance easily doubled.
    I also found one more interesting note, and felt it might apply since you have a magnetic antenna. They usually have the coax already built in, and if you had extra coax, winding it up too tightly will create a "coil" and cause problems. See Firestik's recommendation page here:
    Firestik Troubleshooting
  • Options
    drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Here it was, in case anyone cares. Miss it sometimes. Now with the LJ, starting over from stock with payments again...sigh
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Oh, Tom - I'm so sorry you are facing this with Ross Allen. I hope your regular vet could give you some more immediate help. The one thing that will probably help a great deal is getting him to loose weight - that is so important for all kinds of joint problems. I wouldn't necessarily be giving up until the weight comes off, if you can make it that far.

Today is the first day in a week where I've had access to a working computer and internet service, so this is the first I knew about Ross Allen. My prayers are with both of you - you were such a big help when I lost my hiking buddy 2 years ago.
  • Options
    lsujeeplsujeep Member Posts: 11
    Just got a hardtop put on my jeep. My trouble is disconnecting the electrical plug that works the back wiper. It looks easy on the vhs tape that came with the jeep. Any pointers? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    GiGi (my Green Giant Unlimited) is now over a year old. We didn't get to 60,000 miles - only 57,000 miles this year. And we are now nearing the end of an over 2,000 mile trip in her. No special trials on this trip, just straight highway driving for most of it. I'll figure up what our average gas mileage for the trip was when we get back (we still have to finish the last part - we're coming into Yermo now).

It hasn't been a bad trip at all -- the second power point keeps the computer charged - reading Edmunds web site is much more interesting than looking out at the Mojave desert along the I-15. The seats were not at all uncomfortable for the long days coming home (on the way up one day got cut shorter than planned - they've just opened a Cabela's store near Salt Lake City and that created a long, fairly expensive delay).

The Wrangler has been quite a workhorse, and I still love it.
  • Options
    There's a little tab on the side of the plug. Use a flat head screw driver to pop up and pull out the plug at the same time.
  • Options
    lsujeeplsujeep Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. I take it that the tab is on the side with the red clip.
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    that red tab slides and locks / unlocks the other part of the plug in place. You shouldn't need to pry on it..just slike the red tab one way or the other.

jeff
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    easier said than done :P

I battle that little clip every time I take my hardtop off or put it on :cry:

-Dan
  • Options
    that I think is used for the gas tank electronics. :)

It was fun doing that UNDER the Jeep. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    osuav8rosuav8r Member Posts: 8
    After my recent purchase of my 05 X, I wanted a JEEP owners opinion on several areas of concern. I want to lift it....and I am thinking a 4" Skyjacker suspension...any one have this lift??? comments? I will likely run 32x11.50 Wrangler MT under that. Any one have a pic with such tires under their X? I want to get a feel for what I can expect the Jeep to look like. ALSO...how important is it that I get 5 wheel/tire's??? besides the added cost, and a different bumper to hang it on....PLEASE any comments/suggestions/pics/advice would be much appreciated.... ;)
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    how important is it that I get 5 wheel/tire's???

As long as you can guarantee you'll never get a puncture, just get the four! :shades:

Otherwise, you'll need a tire of the same size to put on any axle that contains a differential, doubly important if that axle contains a limited slip as well.

(Hint: Both your axles contain a diff!)
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Some time ago I indicated I had a problem with water leakage into the tub of my 95 Rio Grande. It was recommended by Mac (Post 16397) that I change the rubber cowl seal. I'm just now getting around to doing this and I have a question. In the referenced response it was recommended that I use a good quality weather seal adhesive when I put the new seal in place. The existing seal did not have any adhesive on the mating surfaces where the cowl and the windshield frame meet. There appeared to be a small amount of adhesive on the exterior vertical lip that runs horizontally along the cowl (I really need a picture).

My question is:

Do I really need an adhesive? Methinks the answer is yes. If so, where do I put it? Only on the vertical exterior surface where the new seal would be (Again, I need a picture). Do I need any adhesive on the flat surfaces where the cowl and the windshield frame meet?

Thanks for any info!!

P.S. Good luck Tom & R.A. Give your best bud a hug for me!!!
  • Options
    I could not get Ross Allen to the vet Saturday, since that morning is when my second graddaughter arrived in this world. Her mom (my daughter) and the baby are both fine. My daughter and son in law have not officially named the baby yet, but they are thinking that her first name will be Taylor.

I was able to get some pain pills for Ross just after the Vet closed at noon. A lady who works there has always known what a very special dog Ross is, and she is very fond of him. She agreed to stay over a few minutes after the office closed to give me the pain pills and to talk to me about this situation with Ross Allen.

I got there about 12:05 PM, and this wonderful lady, who could have just gone on home and about her business after work, talked to me about Ross for probably 30 or 40 minutes. I don't remember if I asked her, or if she just volunteered, but she is going to come in today to be with Ross Allen and me for Ross's appointment.

She only works Saturdays normally, so she will be doing this on her own time on a day off. What a sweet and compassionate lady! Her name is Kathi, and she is definitely a doggy person. She understands the deep bond and has had to put some of her own dogs down over the years.

Ross looked to be in pain yesterday afternoon, even though I had given him all the pain medication that he was supposed to get. I had even given him a pill quite a bit earlier than I was supposed to.

I came close to calling the vet and moving things up a day, since the vet would be willing to meet me at his office, even though they are closed on Sundays. Kathi also said that she would meet us there, if I chose to do it then.

As I was trying to make up my mind what to do, he seemed to relax and he even went to sleep. He appeared to be sleeping peacefully, so I decided to keep the original schedule and take him in today. I got down in the floor beside him and took a nap.

I have to call for an appointment this morning, and I will try to get an early afternoon appointment, since Kathi said that she can't be there in this morning.

I have prayed that God will perform a miracle and that the original diagnosis will turn out ot be wrong. I have prayed that it will turn out to be something very treatable and that the treatment will not be stressful or painful for Ross.

I am putting Ross's best interest first and will not let him linger, only to be in pain. As much as I would count even one more day with him as something precious, I will not allow him to suffer. Dear God, give me the strength, if it comes to this.

I have learned that I have some very good friends as a result of this situation with Ross Allen. Oh, I knew that many people in this Edmunds community cared about me and Ross Allen, but the posts, the emails, and the phone calls have been so compassionate and were very comforting and unexpected surprises.

Please keep on praying. God always answers prayers, but sometimes His answer is not what we think is best. I'm sure glad that God is the one in control, since He loves us even more than we love ourselves, and He always knows what is best.

Pray that God will give me the strength to handle whatever this day brings.

I thank all of you who have been so supportive through all of this. You are true friends indeed and are a blessing to me from God. May God bless each of you richly for your kindness toward me.

Tom and Ross Allen

P.S.

It may take me some time to get my composure, depending on how things go at the Vet's, but I will let all of you know the outcome as soon as I can. You have all been in this with me and deserve to be updated.
  • Options
    I have an appointment at 1:00 PM CDST for Ross Allen. Almost certainly, he will be put down then.

Please, take time wherever you are or whatever you are doing at 1:00 PM CDST to pray for me and Ross Allen.

Thank you.

Tom and Ross Allen
  • Options
    gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Tom,

There is nothing I can say to help you with the pain you are going through. Just know that there are people here that are sharing the pain with you.

God bless.

Glen
  • Options
    Tom, we'll all be there with you. As I told you privately, you are doing the right...and courageous action.

We're all here to grieve with you.

Randy
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My family is here with you too, Tom.
  • Options
    Let me know what I can do to help. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ross Allen. Rest assured knowing that whatever decision you are making, Ross Allen knows you have his best interests at heart.

Call me if you need to talk.

If you too upset though, DO NOT DRIVE!

-Paul
  • Options
    I just found out from another source that Ross Allen has passed. I don't know if Tom will be on again for a while. His co-pilot and him were inseperable and his love for Ross Allen is extremely deep. I know he's agonizing over his decisions, but let's all pray for him to gather the strength to see that he did the right thing.

Tom, we all care about you. Ross Allen, godspeed.

-Paul
  • Options
    My friends, Ross Allen's suffering is over, He is in Heaven now.

It turned out not to be his hind legs at all. His right front leg had some kind of nerve problem. When he struggled to get up, it sure looked like it was his back legs that weren't working. I noticed just yesterday that when his right front leg came down to take his weight, the paw was turned up so that the pads on his foot were facing upwards instead of facing downward like they should have been.

The vet was able to squeeze that paw as hard as he could, and Ross Allen wouldn't even flinch. When he squeezed the other front paw, Ross reacted to the pain in a normal manner.

The vet said he expected a tumor but it would take an MRI to find out what was wrong. Ross would have needed to be taken to Knoxville to be examined there.

I couldn't see putting Ross Allen through any more than he has been through.

I was crying, and the vet could plainly see how much I loved Ross. I said, "You can see how much I love this dog, Doc. What would you recommend?" He said that it was best to put him down. I looked at Kathi, that saint of a woman who came in on her off day to be with us, what she would do. She said the same. Now, Kathi most definitely understands my love for Ross, and she still said I should put him down.

I laid in the floor beside him with his head cradled in the crook of my arm, and I put my face down on top of his head. I talked to him as they gave him the shot. I told him over and over what a good dog he had been and how much I loved him.

I left him there to be cremated. I will probably be able to pick up his ashes Wednesday. They promised that he would be cremated by himself, so the ashes will be only his.

My Ross Allen is in Heaven. I FIRMLY believe that. I will see him again.

I thank all of you for the wonderful support I have received from you.

Please pray for healing for me. This is the hardest thing I have ever gone through.

Tom and Ross Allen (yes, he is still with me in spirit)