Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I know. I can't believe it either but I hit the same bumps on the same highway at the same speed but with different tire pressure and no wobble. It may not last but for now I'll take it. I have 30's on and 30 psi. I'll do the 29 and see what happens.Thanks for responding. John
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'm afraid there's no easy test that I know of, apart from a lighted match! :P

Usually a close visual inspection of all the fuel system joints and hoses will show it up. Tedious though.
  • Options
    cbeascbeas Member Posts: 14
    I had the same experience with my 04 Sahara recently. I'm at stock height running 31x10.50 BFG AT's. After a recent rotate & balance I started having very scary wobble that I'd never had before. After it scared me to death on the interstate one day I started checking things out. I crawled underneath looking for anything out of the ordinary...decided to check the tire pressure & found that the guys at the tire store had me at 40 psi. I reduced it down to 28 psi & the wobble is gone for the last month or so since I did that.
  • Options
    saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Anyone ever tried Goodyear Silent Armors on their Wrangler? I'm looking for something for my 2001 Sahara. I don't go offroad at all. I'm looking for a 30 or 31 inch tire that looks good and is on the quiet side. I've also looked at the BF Goodrich T/A KO. I'm having trouble deciding.

Also, is there much of a difference in the looks of a 30 vs. 31 inch tire? I'm wondering if it would change the look of the Jeep - and if it's worth spending the money to go up such a small amount? Thanks for any help you guys can give! I haven't posted here forever!
    Laura
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Want to make a lasting impression? Set up your own carspace.com blog! It's easy. Just go to Create My Blog. Mine is at Tide's Rides. Have fun!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Surprisingly, there's quite a big visual difference betwen the 30s and 31s. Also, 31s don't cost much more than 30s but stepping up to 32s or 33s is usually quite a lot more and will require a lift.

I've no experience of those Goodyears, but I'm a big fan of the BFGs. Excellent wet and dry grip, they balance well and seem to last forever. Mine are at 40k and have at least a third of their tread left. Downside is that they're not a good mud tire.
  • Options
    yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    A while back in this forum there was a link to a site that had photoshopped Wranglers on different tires with different lifts. Good for getting an idea of the look of the different tire sizes. I do not know the message number, but someone here might.
  • Options
    Hmm, maybe 31's would be fun. It'd be nice to have a different look after spending that kind of money. I know tires can be more important to us Wrangler people than most, but I still feel like it's a somewhat unexciting way to spend 500-600 bucks!

Do you know if there's much of a difference in gas mileage with a 31 over a 30 inch tire?

Thanks for your reply! It's nice to be back!

Laura
  • Options
    guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Goodyear makes two models of Silent Armors. Wrangler SA and Fortera SA. I have had both on my 2007 X. Started with the Wrangler SA, which proved to provide too harsh a ride on city street conditions. Switched to Fortera SA which has an extra cushioning belt under the tread. The Fortera is rated by Goodyear as their quietest light truck tire. Mine are P245/75-16 and 30.5" tall per the GY literature. I would highly recommend the Fortera SA's.

On a recent 300 mile trip, my gas mileage approached 22.
  • Options
    Do you know if there's much of a difference in gas mileage with a 31 over a 30 inch tire?

In theory there should be a slight improvement in gas mileage with the 31's, but although I measure my mpg pretty accurately I couldn't detect it with mine.

I agree that there are more exciting ways to spend your money, but it could cost a lot more if you get in an accident because you didn't replace your worn tires.

Good to have you back! :)
  • Options
    kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    Jeep Model Goes From Hot To Hotter; Where is the H4?

Bradford Wernle - Automotive News - July 16, 2007 - 12:01 am

TOLEDO, Ohio - The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited four-door has gone from hot to hotter.

The Chrysler group's Toledo Supplier Park is cranking out 600 vehicles per day. Of those, 82 percent are four-door Unlimiteds and 18 percent are two-door units.

"Demand for the hardtop four-door is much higher than we expected," said Cynthia Sidoti, Toledo Supplier Park plant manager.

In June, Jeep sold 10,952 Wranglers, the best June results ever for the Wrangler, according to Darryl Jackson, Chrysler vice president of U.S. sales.

Dealers say they've had a difficult time getting the top-of-the-line Rubicon version of the Wrangler, which is trail-ready and has Chrysler's MyGIG entertainment and information system that includes navigation.

"The market is overwhelming," Sidoti said.

One change that dealers will notice immediately is a new Wrangler color. It's Detonator Yellow, which is fitting for one of Jeep's most explosive-selling vehicles.
  • Options
    kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    The Chrysler group's Toledo Supplier Park is cranking out 600 vehicles per day. Of those, 82 percent are four-door Unlimiteds and 18 percent are two-door units.

Earlier Chrysler reported the mix was about 60 percent four-door and 40 percent two-door. The four-door Wrangler is available in hard- and soft-top versions.
  • Options
    When are we gonna start seeing those at the dealerships? I want one! I just can't decide on the color. Why in the world didn't they make a white sahara in the 4 door??

I might end up going with the Flame red X with all the Sahara options. The black fender flares look pretty good on the red. I usually like the look of the matching flares - that's one reason I have a 2- door Sahara now - but the red with black looks pretty good. I just wish the red didn't have quite so much of an orange tint. It's not a pure red in my opinion.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on. I do look forward to seeing the 08's on the lots!

Laura
  • Options
    Funny! I just talked to someone at at Discount Tire store near my house that was going on and on about that tire. That's actually what we have on my husband's Aviator. I knew we had Fortera's on it, but I just realized they were Silent Armor. I might have to consider those. I remember when we got them on the Aviator, I was amazed at how smooth they were. I hated the looks at first though, since they were so different than the original Michelins that were on it. I like the look now.

Laura
  • Options
    It got my attention. I would hate to have a semi on my tail and the dreaded DW occurs. I have had 3 Jeeps but this was the first wobble situation. Did you get your rotation and balance at the dealer or at another location. I hate to go to the dealer but I never had a problem when they did the rotate and balance. Its OK now (with the lower psi) but still a little shakey. If it happens again then off to the dealer. Go Easy, John
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Need to talk to ya about a non-Jeep related issue regarding your other 4x4... is there a way to contact you?

-Paul
  • Options
    Sure, I've made my email public in my profile.
  • Options
    Thx, email on its way.

-Paul
  • Options
    The site I was thinking of is
    http://ptheune.net/~pir/photos/Jeeps/Tires/Selector/index.htm
    Shows TJ with different tires and lifts
    If you Google "phteune" you should see the site as "tire selector"
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    cbeascbeas Member Posts: 14
    My rotate & balance was done at Big 10 Tires which is where I bought the tires. I've done business with them many times and they've always done a good job. They just got a little air happy for some reason this time & over inflated me.
  • Options
    cwdobbercwdobber Member Posts: 12
    2008 Wrangler Unlimited X 4 door 4x4
    Flame Red
    23S package
    Hard top
    17x7.5 aluminum wheels
    6 infinity speakers w/subwoofer
    Tubular side steps
    Anti-spin diff
    Power convenience group
    Supplemental air bags

1% below invoice, thanks to Daimler Chrysler's affiliate rewards program. Made a phone call to the local sales manager, told him what I wanted...order placed. No haggling and stress free.

Now the hard part, waiting...
  • Options
    thatcarabeththatcarabeth Member Posts: 3
    What is the wobble usually related to?
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Congratulations!

When is the big day????

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Venice Beach, CA. 80 degrees. Top down. Doors off.

Sometimes, life is pretty darn good.

-Mike :shades:
  • Options
    I've heard and read contradictions about correct lube technique but they aren't Jeep owners. I'd prefer to hear fellow Wrangler owners' opinions on proper chassis lubrication. I have been driving my Wrangler off-road on sand dunes here in Michigan and after I come home from playing in the "sandbox", I'd like to know what places I should hit to minimize sand grit damage in the wrong places over time...figure it's the same for anyone offroading their vehicles in most off-road conditions, too.

I've got a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited with 22,000 miles and I'm using Pennzoil Premium Wheel Bearing 707L Red Grease because its spec. sheet meets/exceeds manufacturer specifications in the user manual.

1 - Should I pump in the grease until I see the rubber cover start to expand or is that already too much if it starts to expand?

2 - Should I keep pumping until I see some old grease come out from somewhere?

3 - Should I keep pumping until I see new grease come out to indicate I've "flushed-out" the old grease?

4 - How many zerks should I be finding on the front end of a Wrangler?

5 - Are there any zerks in the rear end I need to lubricate?

6 - Are there any places I need to grease that don't have zerks and you just have to rub it on?

7 - I see zerks on top and bottom of the front wheel hubs/knuckles where the axle connects to them...I squeezed some grease into those but in hind-sight wondered if those are the "wheel bearing" zerks and I shouldn't have done that.

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Nobody? Oh well.......

1 - I usually pump until it expands, then give it two or three more depending on the how swollen the boot is.

2 - No, but don't worry if grease does come out. Just stop pumping at that point.

3 - No, because it's not flushing all the old grease out, just lifting the boot at its weakest point.

4 - Seven (from memory).

5 - No.

6 - Not really. You can grease handbrake and t/case linkages if you want, but it will retain dirt/grit and may do more harm than good.

7 - Those zerks are for the joints and not the wheel bearings (which are sealed). You were correct to lube them.

Occasionally you'll find 'u' joints that have been replaced with one that have a zerk. If so, then grease them until it starts to come past the seals. Same applies if you find zerks in the slip joints on the propshafts.

Don't worry about a boot splitting when you're pumping. It just means the boot was at the end of its life anyway, and better it splits when you can see it rather than on the road when you can't.
  • Options
    Turkey Bay, wheeling with 30+ Jeeps, doors off, family with you, no carnage, no injuries...

It may be great in soCal, but you sure can't beat wheeling in the forested hills near a beautiful lake on a GREAT summer weekend!

-Paul
  • Options
    Thanks for response, Mac...I really appreciate it. I'm such a DIY vehicle novice that I feel uncertain on such things and hope common sense will prevail but I've learned MY common sense is uncommon and results in me showing I'm a moron on topics that are basic to everyone else. :D

If I experience the boot splitting like you mention, must I replace it immediately and if so, is it a big job to DIY?
  • Options
    The boot fulfils two functions. It both retains the grease in and around the joint, and it protects the joint from the ingress of contaminants.

If the joint is several years old, and the length of time that the boot has been split is undetermined, then it makes sense to replace the entire joint even if its not currently showing signs of wear.

However, if you split the boot of an unworn joint while greasing, the boot can be safely changed to prolong the joint's life. Unless you plan on driving on the beach or in deep mud, you can probably leave it until a time that's more convenient.

The hardest part of changing the boot is usually locating the replacement. ;)
  • Options
    Not sure just when... Called up and found out that the order is in "BX" status (passed edit available for schedule). I honestly don't expect it for 3 months, but the sooner it gets here the better.
  • Options
    tyoshutyoshu Member Posts: 31
    does anyone know where the sirius antenna is run if it is pre-installed at the factory? also, is it a cable antenna? thanks!
  • Options
    ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    We recently moved to Jacksonville from Northern VA. I used to enjoy offroading near Leesburg, VA but find that short of the beaches south of St. Augustine, there doesn't seem to be many places to go offroading.

I know that hills and steep climbs are out of the question in the flatlands, but anyone have any good suggestions of where to go near the Jacksonville area? My 03 Wrangler Sahara is itching to get off the asphalt!
  • Options
    britt22britt22 Member Posts: 17
    O.K. - so, now I am jealous....

Do you, or anyone else know, if Daimler Chrysler offers a friends and family program like GM does? Is the affiliate rewards program Chrysler's version? Is there any way non-affiliate people can get this kind of pricing??? Wishful thinking????......
  • Options
    I'm employed by a company that is a supplier to Daimler Chrysler, that's how I was able to use the affiliate rewards program. I don't know of any other DCX offers. Your best bet is to negotiate a good deal for yourself. Good Luck!
  • Options
    carlosarturohpcarlosarturohp Member Posts: 4
    hi i would like to know if I can put a hard top from a 1993 jeep to my 1998 jeep. i would like to know if there's a significant difference on the tops. thanks
    :)
  • Options
    No you cannot.

Yes, there is a significant difference. One is a YJ, the other is a TJ. The mounting points are different. The door areas are different. The rear corners are a bit different, and I think the tops are actually a bit different sized.

-Paul
  • Options
    wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Congrats on the move to sunny Florida. Generally speaking there are no rocks in FL to play on, but there is plenty of challenging terrain. Most, however, involves mud either as a primary attraction or as a necessary evil along the trails. Your best bet is to hook up with a local and/or regional offroad/Jeep club. Most have a lively online presence. Not sure if it is OK to link to them on this board, but do a search on "florida jeepers offroad association" as a good starting point. My apologies in advance if I just broke the rules!
  • Options
    comkromcomkrom Member Posts: 6
    the antenna wire for the sirius sat antenna is routed thru the IP to the right side under the kick panel. You can identify it as it is a small (about 1/8") black wire that is run along side of the main body harness.it follows the right side under the door opening and then travel up the roll bar pillar behind the front seat. it then follows the pillar up to the speaker pod area and mounts on top of the roll bar just above the speaker pod.it has a little yellow/brown connector at each end. this wire sometimes gets trapped and gives problems in sat. reception. if you pull down the speaker pod on the right and unzip the roll bar cover you will find it. Hard tops are more difficult as you usually need to lift and block the top to get to it.
    I am a mechanic at the factory and have worked on a few of these.
  • Options
    We run EVERY wrangler thru a similar water test booth at the
    factory. it is about 100 ft long and sprays water at 30psi to check for leaks. I have "rode" thru the water test and if 30psi doesn't seem like a lot but believe me you could not "see" well enough to drive more than 5mph in the water test booth.
  • Options
    Good news the Electric locker REAR diff is available for 2008
    Sahara without the "Rubicon pkg" You will get the Sway bar disconnect with this pkg. the main difference is the Rubicon Transfer case with its ultra low low range and The Rubicon also has Front electric lockers. The Electric Locker only works when you want it so it is well worthwhile.
  • Options
    monsterzero_jrmonsterzero_jr Member Posts: 2
    I like the looks of Jeep Wrangler because I'm a military history buff and it reminds me of the famous WWII predecessor but is it a good car for Chicago's expressways, 12 months per year? I can imagine it being extremely useful to somebody who lives in Colorado and has to contend with occasional poor quality roads.

When looking at cars I tend to focus on function more than anything else but this car has a special place in my heart I guess.

I'm single, no kids so in terms of space requirements it's just me. No loads need to be carried. The use of the car would be just daily commute to work and to run errands.
  • Options
    For some people it's all about logic and utility, others factor fun and emotion into the equation.

Many people use their Wranglers exclusively as daily drivers. There are certainly better commuter vehicles available, but you get much more than reliable transport with a Wrangler.
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I will say that they are quite easy to parallel park because of the short wheelbase and overhangs. I've tucked mine into many a tight urban spot. But you need to factor in that this is a relatively noisy, thirsty vehicle with low security if you get the soft top. And they are not that much fun on the highway IMHO. When I lived in San Diego, it was nice around the neighborhood, but the freeways notsomuch.
  • Options
    I bought my jeep (1995 YJ Wrangler) mainly for snowy winter roads, and I have not been disappointed. In 4x4 mode, I have a lot of traction and I feel more secure than I have in any 2wd vehicle. (My wife's 4wd Chrysler T/C minivan also feels quite secure.) You might value a Wrangler for winter driving (but don't get too enthusiastic - snow is still snow, and there are legions of SUV drivers who have found out the hard way that 4wd does not equal summer driving.)

I have driven my YJ on the highways, as far as 60 miles (one way) to work, and I took a trip from NY out to Ohio. I enjoy the Jeep - one of the few vehicles I have driven that does not feel like an appliance. I like the "mechanical" feel of being connected to the vehicle as opposed to being isolated by "systems" that separate the driver from the feel of the road and from the machine. (Bear in mind that my YJ is 2 generations removed from the current Wrangler - most notably with harder leaf springs rather than the current coil springs, and non-power steering, which is no longer offered.) Nevertheless, I gather from reviews I have read that the new Wrangler still offers much of the Jeep "experience" but in a more road-friendly format.

I have thought about adding a new Wrangler to my stable. I believe I would like it. As many say "It's a Jeep thing." Either you like it, or you don't - not much middle road. If you can find a way to put 100 highway miles on one (buddy's unit, or maybe a rental), you will probably know at the end of the ride whether you like it or not. You can't buy this vehicle with your head - you have to feel it.

Whatever choice you make - I hope it meets your needs and desires.
  • Options
    Since you work there, maybe you might know.

Are there any plans for a flex fuel Wrangler? The 3.3 L V6 (which is offered as flex fuel) would almost certainly be a drop-in replacement for the 3.8 (since both motors are used in minivans). Or maybe the 3.8 will get a flex fuel option? I have a YJ with the AMC 2.5L I4 and I am not unhappy, but for a new vehicle, I would appreciate fuel options - just in case gas prices go through the roof as they have threatened to do.
  • Options
    karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    I'm from Chicago and have owned an '05 Unlimited now for over 2 years. If you are getting a brand new '07 model, I can't attest too much for them. However, one thing I went with, and I'm very glad I did, is the dual tops. The hardtop is great for Chicago's winters, and every spring I switch it to my soft top, it's great driving around summertime, you can't beat cruising Lake Shore Drive topless.
    Wranglers are not particularly famous for their 0-60 time, so I have to admit I do cringe everytime I have to merge onto the Kennedy or Eisenhower expressways.
  • Options
    jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I have a '06 Unlimited just a year old and I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and this is my daily car (except on the perfect top down days then its my wife's car :-) and I would not trade it for anything. I drove an Audi A4 before buying my jeep and I do not regret the switch. My commute is made up of both highway driving, main roads and residential roads - about 50 miles each day and I spend between 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day commuting.

I drive about 70% of the time with the top down - thus it is noisy but I can't be bothered on a cell phone so I just focus on enjoying the day and the tunes - its my way to kick back and relax after a long day. 10% of the time I use the sun rider function that allows for partial open top with back window out - this is very loud as the side windows slap - but I love the sun. The other 20% is with closed up or the back window down it is noisy but not that bad.

Security - this is a pain, I need to find a good back end box as I am a CFO/IT person and always have at least one laptop with me - thus I lug my briefcase into home depot or the store when I go in a pain but not a big deal.

There are easier cars and more functional cars - but unless you pay over $125,000 you won't get the looks.

Bottom line - Jeeps are impractical but a whole lot of fun - Good luck
  • Options
    "You can't buy this vehicle with your head-you have to feel it." This sentence says it all. John
  • Options
    ike21ike21 Member Posts: 14
    I agree with the feeling it. Everyone who rides in my JEEP complains. Noise, Rattle, Shack, Bounce. But I can't wait to jump in and drive it everyday. If you love it more than anything, who cares about if it's practical. My friend bought a 50 some odd inch Plasma TV. Is it practical? NO, but he rushes home everyday to play his XBOX on it....all night!! I LOVE MY JEEP!!