Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    tsjay - Congrats on your 6 month anniversary! I know it's a committed relationship.

tonkadave - you asked the other night for RPMs at speed. These figures are with our 2001 Sport, 5 speed, factory 30" tires, 3.73 gears, in 5th gear:
    55mph 1750rpms; 60mph 1950rpms; 65mph 2125rpms; 70mph 2300rpms; 75mph 2450rpms
    I checked 60mph in 4th gear (I think that 4th gear in the 5 speed is equal in ration to the top gear in the Auto.):
    60mph 2500rpms

All of this data is my best read of the gauges and the indicated speed. When I get my GPS, I'll let you know how accurate the speedo is.

tnt - Good the hear from you. Hope you can join us more frequently when work becomes saner for you.

2001 - I changed my plugs for Bosch Platinum at about 600 miles. It's a 30 min job if you have a decent ratchet set. See:

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm#sparkplugs

for details. Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions. I'll give my home # if you need it. My email is on my page and in my profile here. If you continue to have the problem with cyl 3 after the new plugs, I would think the dealer needs to replace the coil bar. It's a sealed unit that covers the entire bank of speark plugs. I have read about people having misfire problems where swapping the coil bar fixed the problem. If that's not it, I would have to think its in a computer control module. Good luck and let us know the final diagnosis.

-twylie
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I just went back through the posts til I found that link to your web page. I have it bookmarked now! The other times I've been there, someone shot me a link or I got it off the message board, and I forgot to mark it. Got 'er this time, though! I see that you've posted it again, so I could have saved some scrolling through messages.

Anyway, that is a GREAT web page! You have some very useful info on there. Keep it updated!

Your RPMs in 4th gear at 60 MPH are a little low compared to Thelma's. I think we are both set up the same. aren't we? Five speed, 30" tires, and Dana 44 rear end????? I think Thelma is around 2800 RPMs at 60 in fourth gear and drops off to about 2200 in fifth gear. You are right about fourth gear being the same ratio as third gear in an auto: the ratio is 1:1, according to my Jeep brochure. Fifth gear is 0.75:1, so whatever RPMs you are turning in fourth gear at a given speed should drop to 75% of that number in fifth gear.

Let's see what the theoretical, or "calculated" RPM should be for our Jeeps at 60 MPH in fifth gear. I think I'm doing this right...

At 60 MPH, you are travelling one mile per minute, or 5280 feet per minute.

Our "30 inch" tires are actually 29.5" in diameter, so their circumference would be 92.677" or 7.72308 feet.

So, dividing 5280 by 7.72308 gives 684 revolutions of the tires per mile.

Ok, we have 3.73 rartio rear ends, so the drive shaft turns 3.73 times for every revolution of the back tires. Multiplying 684 times 3.73 gives 2550 RPMs. That would be the RPMs for a 1:1 gear ratio, or third gear in an auto and fourth gear in a five speed.

Since we are in fifth gear, the RPMs would be 75% of 2550, or 1912 at 60 MPH.

Man, that makes your figure of 1950 RPMs very close, especially since you can only estimate the RPMs because of the large graduations on the gauge!

I must have been thinking of my RPMs at 65 MPH instead of 60 MPH when I said yours sounded low.

Yep, that's what I did, now that I think about it. I was doing about 2800 in fourth gear at 65 MPH and it dropped to 75% of that when I shifted to fifth, just like it was supposd to.

c ya

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    Thanks for the quick repsponses!

I would think there would be more of a problem too if it had fouled more than one plug. The first time this happened, the dealer did nothing because the engine was running fine and the check engine light had gone off. I really wish I had asked the dealer to show me the plug they removed from cylinder 3 yesterday to see what it looked like.

Nice write up Trey!

I will keep you guys updated if anything else happens with this.
  • tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Thanks for that info Guys. Heres what I turn with the Auto trans. 3 speed with 3:73 Gears and 31" Tires. I Checked this morning on the way to work.
    60MPH =2450 Rpms
    65MPH= 2700 Rpms
    70MPH= 2900 Rpms
    Couldnt bring myself to go any faster. 3000 Rpms scares me. I think i'll stay in the right lane. The Auto Trans is great for this hilly terrain and stop and go traffic, but without that overdrive I can see how it could take a toll on your engine if you do alot of sustained highway driving.
  • nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    Jeeps are metric? Isn't this kind of un-American?
    Hey, Old Pal, 70 MPH in a Jeep is fast enough anyway! I must admit that I have been a little over that a few times, but I didn't stay there long.

I don't think you would be hurting your engine to run along at 3000 RPMs for extended periods, but there's no sense going that fast in a Jeep.

Just got through giving my baby girl a good bath. She's lookin' GOOD! Still have to black up her tires and vacuum the inside, but thought I would take a break and see what's shakin' here.

Talk at ya tonight.

Why don't a bunch of us get together in Gill's chat room tonight????

Let's say 7:00 PM CDST (adjust for your own time zone).

http://itsajeep.org/public/chat.html

Hope to see everyone there!!!!

tsjay

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I am so mad and just wanted to let it out somewhere. I went out this morning to one of my favorite spots where I can combine hiking with off-roading. This is the first time this year I've had a chance to get out there, and just as I get within a mile or so (after fording the stream a second time) I was greeted by a big fence and a "road closed" sign. The National Forest up to their usual tricks - closing another dirt road. Of course, I was too early to stop by the ranger station on the way out to find out what was going on - I'll save that for another day. But if they do what they have done in the past, the road will never open again. I walked the road to the trail head, thinking that maybe there was a problem with the road, but it was fine - no washouts, no landslides. I get so frustrated - if they keep closing these roads there won't be any where interesting to go with my Wrangler unless I travel hundreds of miles. And that would be really frustrating since I can see lovely mountains right outside my front door! Anyway, it was nice to get the Wrangler dirty again - it's been clean for a couple of weeks now.

As far as speed goes - I go along with everyone else. 70 mph is fast enough for me, though I have driven my Wrangler up to a little more than 75. Of course, that was on the Grapevine section of the I5 when I was being passed like I was standing still. I compared gas mileage after a couple of trips at the higher speeds and discovered a good 3 mpg difference between 70+ and 65. Also, my route home is usually windy and the Wrangler REALLY reacts to the wind - even more so than what I remember a '76 3/4 ton Dodge van I once owned. So I just stay to the right and think about the money I'm saving whenever Excursions and Suburbans blow by me going 80+.
  • jthurlowjthurlow Member Posts: 21
    For reference, I have a '99 Sport with 28" tires and the 3.07 ratio.

In late April, I checked my tach on the the highway. Results were as follows:

60 MPH 2250 RPM

70 MPH 2600-2650 RPM

John Thurlow
    Welcome to the world of tree huggers. As a hunter I have been going thru this for years. What you are experiencing is called the bio-sphere. (bio-diversity) A while ago congress made a deal with the ecology extremists to (slowly) shut down the forests to public access and allow it to "revert to its natural state" (that is after the lumber companies trash the place). You will be seeing more of this in the future.

Here in Washington (state) tracts of land (state land) have been set aside for off road vehicle activities. This is more for the serious 4 wheelers, the ones that really tear up the old terra firma. We are planning some extensive trips through the cascades, via logging roads, before we are locked out of the woods altogether. Every year I go hunting access becomes more and more restricted. Writing your congress critter is about the best thing you can do.

Speed: I have had the jeep up to 80 but didn't like the way it felt at the speed, 70/75 is good enough for me. Having said that…. at around 2800 rpm I am in the 85 mph area.

Got the trailer hitch on today.... 4 bolts and an hour under it saved me $70.00! Can you believe they wanted 70 bucks to put on a trailer hitch?! It droped the clearance of the rear bumper about 2", but it is still higher than the gas tank.
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Hey man! I'm getting ready to order a 3" lift from you. My mom is still a little iffy about it, so could you assure her that I'm not going to die because my Jeep blew up due to a lift? Thanks.

alee and sparx
  • rs1157rs1157 Member Posts: 41
    I know a lot of you guys have customized your cars. My question is for those who have put on lights. I was looking at putting on a light bar with 55W bulbs, 4 lights. the calculations show that the lightbar will use less then 20 amps. Any suggestions on wiring and fusing. I have found the part number for the fog light switch that fits in the switch panel. This will give it a stock look from inside. Also my umderstanding of relay's are that the wire is connected to the main lights so that they only go on at high beam. Do you know if i can just connect the lights to an exsiting free wire under the dash, and put an inline fuse? Thanks for any help. Oh ya The stuff i am planning on getting are a stainless steel light bar from steel horse, I will get it painted to match my Jeep. with 4 headlights from Hella (500's) witch the mopar light switch. Wanted to get the lower windsheild lights put on, but then the steel horse light bar will not fit. Oh well.
    Thanks for everything

Also I wanted to say that if you get the 3" or 2 " lift what thickness of tires are you going to get. 12.5" or 13"(Mickey Thompson). and can they fit on an 8 inch wide rim? The fatter the tire the better.
    I just posted two pictures of my jeep in the owners group photo section. These were the only two I could find this evening - maybe more later. I realized though that I don't have any pictures of it just sitting there - they are either taken at a scenic location or else they look like the ones I've posted. My camera is now toast (beloved old Pentax ME Super) so I'm going to be looking at cameras whenever I can get some extra cash scraped together.
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    Since we are a dealer for lift kits I guess this will be a good time to clear the air on roll over and other related things that will scare a mom to death. First off, any lifted vehicle will behave differently because of simple physics. If the center of gravity is raised the object will be easier to tip over. The higher the lift the higher the center of gravity. What this means is you can not drive like Rusty Wallace in your Jeep lifted or not. Cutting in and out of lanes and whipping it around corners is a big no no because a TJ is not built for speed. The TJ is a short wheel base vehicle, meaning it does not track very well or designed to be whipped around in traffic. Now the other things mom should also know is her son or daughter will not be driving like that because of the reason above but also a lifted vehicle is also safer in other ways. A lifted vehicle will have a better view of the road ahead (more time for you to react). The nut that rear ends you will probably go under you and reduce your chance of injuries of whip lash (I've had one honda and one toyota camary that went under my Wagoneer). For side impacts, I had one nissan that scratched the powder paint on my rocker skids (he also went under but on my passenger side) and I had no injuries. So needless to say, I live in a city filled with people who can even see a lifted jeep but the point is,"if your a nut, you'll roll over anything and if your a safe driver, the Jeep is still safe to drive."

The new TJs with the coil suspension is one of the best handling Jeep I have ever driven and if a Jeep is lifted you will also be able to fit taller and wider tires which will add to the handling of your vehicle. The new Jeeps also have duel air bags, optional anti-lock brakes and they have a very good crash test score.

Is a lift TJ safe? My answer is a very big yes. Can it roll over? Yes, but I have seen lowered sports cars sitting on the sun roofs.

All the safety features in the world will not help if you don't use them, so wear your seat belts and use your head.
    Beautiful pics! Now that is some SERIOUS snow!

It looks like you live in a beautiful area. You are a lucky lady.

Now, if a certain Mr. Nkelly1 would post some nice pics of his Jeep and the Cascades....

tsjay

If you haven't heard we had an earthquake this morning around 06:20. The University of Washington has just "upgraded" it to 5.0. If you want to see their map you can go to…

http://spike.geophys.washington.edu/recenteqs/

The center was in an area in south western Washington, right about the spot they want to build a nuclear reactor. (Satsop) Clever huh…I used to hunt there but all the gates are locked now.

TsJay… I have used up the roll of film yet, where are mtngal's pictures posted at?

• dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Also, I already know this and have told her, but she wants to hear it from someone who "knows what they're doing". How will the lift affect things such as gas, and speed. I've told her that the tires affect this, but she doesn't seem to understand. Thanks!
    Mtngal's pics are in the wrangler owners photo gallery.

And are you implying that you think there might be a problem with building a nuclear reactor on top of a geological fault which was at the epicenter of a recent earthquake? Please explain. :)

Hurry up and take the rest of the frames on that roll of film! I can't wait! Where will you be posting them? Hope you are getting some great scenery shots.

tsjay

5.0 earthquake? That's enough to rattle your teeth. Just wait until you get 6 or more - that really shakes you up. By the way, I live about a mile from the San Andreas Fault...

I posted a message on Edmunds Jeep Owners Photo board but the pictures are on Photo Point's web site. I haven't been real interested in doing another web site, since I'm no longer with Earthlink. My internet provider (the only one with a local phone number) doesn't have free web sites. Photo Point is free for 10 pictures, and that seems like plenty for what I'll be doing with them. Now all I have to do is go through my scanned slides and find one of the jeep where it isn't covered with snow. I'd like to see one of your jeep somewhere in the Cascades - certainly pretty country. Do you ever get up into B.C.?
    Thanks for the RPM info. That rear end you have really cuts down on the RPMs and should save you some bucks on gas.

Jump in here and post more often! It's always good to hear from you.

tsjay

• wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Hello everyone I'm new to this particular board. You might have seen me under the Q-tec board as wheelshighmopar, could not fit that many letters on this board so I shortened it to wheelshigh. I have a 79 cj5 with a few mods, looking to do a few more this summer. Well let me give everyone a big wave from New Jersey.
    Great pictures...... stuck huh. This must why the old army jeeps had a shovel on them. We only get snow like that every 3 or 4 years... I am looking forward to it now.

We had a 6.8 or 7.0 (they never did make up their mind on that) earlier this year... maybe I should hurry up getting that winch! I think I will get a small chain saw to carry around.(gonna need a trailer soon)

I have been looking at portable (non-mounted) winches too. I saw some hunters using one to winch out an elk last year, it looked pretty cool….. about the size of a chain saw without the blade. A little bit of rigging and you could get just about anything out with it.

On the pictures… I still have some left on the roll, I snuck up on my sweetie while she was under the jeep……. she wanted to help install the trailer hitch mount… and got a couple with a wrench in her hand….. don't know if she wants, to be "posted", I'll have to ask her first. I got one of those "disposable" water proof cameras… I think I'll keep one in the glove box from now on, we'll be in the woods a lot. As soon a I get them developed and scanned I'll figure out how to post them.

I don't go into Cananda...... hunting (for us) is a pain, Alaska is nice though.
    Glad you made it! Hope you will be active in here. New members are always appreciated and welcomed.

For the rest of you, I met wheels in Gill's chat room last night and invited him here.

I have met a bunch of people in there that never heard of edmunds, and I have invited them here.

Gill's place and our Wrangler IV seem to complement each other very well. We can get together there and discuss the posts we've read in here. It seems that someone is always checking back in here for new posts as we are chatting at Gill's. If there are new posts, we stop chatting a few minutes and come here and read them.

It's like the best of both worlds.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by, wheels, and please stay with us.

tsjay

Hey, when is everyone going to be on Gill's chat room? I just went on this morning but nobody was on. What time does everyone usually go on?
  • ghinsonghinson Member Posts: 36
    You say that the new coil suspension is a good ride for a Jeep, when you lift a Jeep, aren't you bypassing the good stock suspension? Naive question, I realize, but this thought is one reason why I'm debating even doing it. Thanks, Greg.
  • blonddemocratblonddemocrat Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm thinking of buying a jeep, I wonder if you all have any advice? if you'd rather not post here, please feel free to email me.
    Anyone know how many amps the alternator and/or battery puts out on the 4.0 engine? Most of these winches I am looking at need 650.
    Winches need 650 amps under full load. There is no way you can get a alternator that high, but it doesn't matter because you should only be using your winch for short periods of time. I would reccomend getting a battery with at least over 800 CCA or two batteries, optima batteries are good because they can be decharged and recharged many times before they die. You should have at least an 100 amp alternator, if you have the extra light package on your jeep you will have a higher output alternator.
    Thanks, wheelshigh, for the info. About the only 2 mods I've been thinking about are a winch of some sort and possibly lockers of some type. Haven't done much but think because of the fact that I'm seriously considering dumping a Tacoma for something more comfortable, and I'm REALLY on the wrong side of the loan. And I still have 2 more years to pay on the Wrangler. So any info you can give me on either subject will be most appreciated for the future.

nkelly1 - We don't normally get snow like that, either - only about every 10 years or so. I don't know the Canadian rules for hunting, but I have in-laws that live up there and they get something every year. It sounds like great hunting in the northern part of the province. The last time we went up there we drove up in the Wrangler - I wasn't going to put up with the uncomfortable seats in the Tacoma for 3,000 miles. We didn't do any off-roading (it was a family thing, not a real vacation) but there were lots of interesting roads up there, and the scenery was fabulous. Just wondering about future trips...

The guys can probably give you more advise about buying a Wrangler than I can, but I think it all comes down to what do you want to do with it? I needed a vehicle that could not only go off-road, but also keep up as much as possible on a steep freeway grade. So I only considered the I6. Many people only want soft tops, others want both, while my other half insisted on a hard top. It was definitely the best choice for us, given the conditions we have up here. I have the limited slip differential, but am thinking about some type of lockers - my LSD got stuck last winter (see my picture in owner's group). I wasn't planning on getting the tinted windows (cutting down on cost), but the one I found just happened to have it. Now I wouldn't get one without it.
    We don't usually have a set time to go to Gill's chat room. Occasionally, I will post an invitation for a certain time, but you can find me and saharanut and tonkadave there almost any evening.

I'm in there now and just came to check for new posts.

tsjay

Please check post #2715 and give our buddy rs1157 some help, if you know the answers to his questions.

I can't help you, rs, but I'm sure there are some in here that can.

How you been? Post more often, Dude! It was good to hear from you again!

tsjay

• sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    I should have said " the coil suspension design" and not just coil. The stock coils are good if the weight is kept down. Adding items like winches, heavy duty bumpers, skid plates, spring spacers will cut down the stock springs life and we have seen quite a few sagging stock coil springs. Another thing that will cut down the stock coil springs life is driving like your on the Duke's of Hazzard. So be easy on the weight and crazy wheeling and the stock springs will be fine for a very long time.

A lift kit will not affect the gas milage too much. The added height will cause more drag in the wind and you will burn a wee bit more fuel but the real factor in losing gas milage is the tires. If you get taller tires and don't get the gears to match the ratios, you will use more fuel. Also taller tires doweight quite a bit more and it will also have more rolling resistance as well.
    I do not own a tj personally so can't help you in that respect. Four 55W lights draw 17.5 amps. I have never heard of connecting then to the high beam switch, but you can buy a kit from many of the light manufactures that includes wiring, a relay, and a switch. I do not think having the lights on the high beam switch is exactly legal since if you have to use your high beams on the road then all the lights would turn on.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Hey, you have a JEEP, time to make your own roads!!!
  • kasfinkasfin Member Posts: 2
    I am a proud new owner of a 1998 Black Sahara. I have been reading messages on this sight for a while and always wanted a Sahara and finally found the right one at a dealer in Illinois, and I live in Michigan. I have been to about 7 dealers and this one was the best priced one and in the best shape. The moment I saw and drove it home, I realized the feeling all Wrangler owners feel when they first drive thier Wrangler home. I can't really describe the feeling, but I just can't get the grin off of my face talking about my Wrangler.

My Wrangler details, 1998 Sahara with only 32K miles on it, A/C, Automatic, Hard top and Soft Top, I paid $15750 for it. Not a scratch on the paint. The only thing cosmetically wrong was a little bit of rusting on around the screws on the bumper. Any suggestions on getting the rust off? Also if any of you lucky wrangler owners, have any suggestions on washing the Jeep? I thought about running the wrangler through a touchless Carwash with the Hardtop on, before I add the Soft Top? Or should I just roll up the sleaves and give it good ole scrubbing? Also any other maintenance advice would be helpful?
    Thanks.
    Glad to hear about the new purchase. Use steel wool to take the rust off then use some touch up paint and paint the spots where rust was. I personally wash cars by hand and would not have it any other way. If your going to wax I like the Maguires quick wax, which is easy to put on and wipe off. This will help protect the paint against tree branches etc if you ever take it wheeling, and really make the paint shine.
    I spoke with some friends yesterday.

One has a 94 Wrangler, the other a 97.

They pretty much agreed that I can easily tow a 1300# boat with a 4.0 litre Wrangler. They also showed me how much room is in back. I think it is fine with the seat removed to put the dog back there. Will need to figure out a way to secure her. I also want to build a locking box for guns, stereo equipment, etc. to keep things out of sight and elements.

The 94 guy has been to several Jamborees, and just went to Pennsylvania the weekend before this last one. He has 4.0, 2.73 rear end, open differential, 31X10.5 tires on stock rims, 2.5" Skyjacker lift. He said his looks stock compared to the ones at the Jamboree, and wishes he had put in a 4" lift and bigger tires.

The 97 friend has had 2 main problems: driver door latch did not work right, and the ratcheting oil (or was it gas) cap broke so it ratched in both directions. He had to pop the cap off and open with a screwdriver! Other than that no problems.

They both recommended I get a 97 Wrangler. They decided that that was the oldest of the new style with coil springs, and therefore would be cheaper. I figure I don't care which rear end it has, since if I don't like it, I can replace aftermarket. They said the main thing to look for are scraped bumpers, differentials, exhaust, etc. to make sure it hasn't been beaten off road. They also said if it has a non-stock suspension, it has likely seen off road use, but this IS a JEEP after all. They said to expect to pay $12,000-14,000 depending on mileage.

I figure I can tow the boat, take the dog, and if no boat, buy a rack for the trailer hitch to put cooler and other gear on. I will also need a bike rack and ski rack. The 97 friend got it with soft top and purchased JEEP hardtop for like $700 or 800. They said I should get both tops if possible.

I am totally gung ho on this again, and my only remaining obstacle would be my inlaws being absolutely horrified about endangering their daughter's and her dog's lives. My wife says just take them for a ride, and they'll understand. (You really need to know these people... :-( )
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Welcome to the board Wheelshigh!

mtngal
    Nice pics. I would like to see a shot of the view from your house. Sounds great. You may want to look at getting a aftermarket LSD. They work better off-road than the stock one. You probabaly don't want a full time locker where you live and one that you can switch on and off can be expensive. If you have the money it is great though. For your tacoma situation you need to get on the right side eventually. Either keep it awhile longer or buy an inexpensive used car/truck and keep it a long time.

nkelly1
    Are you looking at getting a multi-mount winch? I looked at these and decided against it. They can work but if you do some serious off-roading a fixed mount is better. The mulit-mounts only work well for straight pulls. It won't hold up well to an angled or sideways pull.
    Great idea with keeping a camera in the Jeep. I have missed out on some great shots.

dragonfly03
    3 inch lift? Whats up with that? Your boyfriend has a 3 inch lift. Get a 4 inch so you can be bigger. LOL
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    sasquatch_2000
    Just remeber to use common sense when pulling with a Jeep. If you drive too fast you can lose it. Wranglers are able to pull, it is the short wheelbase that makes it dangerous to pull too much. If you have to do any quick turning or if high winds catch the trailor you could lose control.
    There are a couple tie down brackets and there is the rear seat belt brackets you could use to attach your dogs leash.
    Why were your friends against a 93-95 wrangler? The leaf springs are rougher on road but the YJs could be a good option depending on how much money you can afford.
    As far as looking for a Jeep that doesn't have a lift. A lot of people will lift Jeeps to fit bigger tires to just look cool.
    You may not want the hard top if there is not much snow there. The soft top can make a lot of nose on the highway and can get old for some people though.
    Is this Jeep going to be your daily driver?
    They sell ski racks, bike racks, trail racks or reciever mounted racks for Jeeps.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Fist off... DON'T buy steel horse. Unless you sandblast it and repaint it. Tons of people have problems with steel horse products rusting and not fitting properly. If you want, go to www.4wd.com and check out the olympic 4x4 products light bar, it's like $70. Also if you are going to put lights above your windshield on a light bar 55watts is not going to be a big boost in lighting unless you just want it for the looks. I would suggest something a little more powerful like some 100w or 160w KC Daylighters. They are bright and you can get them in either flood or spot pattern, I'd get a pair of spots and a pair of floods, but that's just me. You can just wire and light to the battery or any open hot wire with enough amps. That way you can turn them on or off at any time. Anything above your stock headlights is illegal to turn on while driving on the road, no matter what wattage. Also if you want to put on windshield mounted lights there are some out there that mount on the lower screws, check out some jeep mags, they've gotta bunch of stuff. Hope this helps a little. I'd keep rambling but I've gotta go to work now.

Happy Jeepin'
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Hey guys..
    looks like i will be ordering a 2002 wrangler.
    went to my dealer today. He just got the notice that they can start taking orders on May 25,
    Production starts May28. So I will have my new jeep around August 1st.
    The 02' will have a premium sound system with sub woofer & tweeter.
    The Fog Light/tow hook with be standard on sport
    droping the Forest green color with a light
    green
    A new quiter AC system.
    Sooo on May 25 i will place my order..
    My dealer told me i could get it at invoice price!!

Take care!!
    Snut
    Boy, that Jeep has you way up on cloud nine, doesn't it?

Your post keeps talking about May this and May that. I suppose you are talking about June, or at least I hope you are, cause May is a long time away! :)

Congrats on getting this far! I know you will really feel better after the order is placed. I think you are smart to ge the '02 and get exactly what you want rather than settle for an 01 that isn't exactly like you wanted.

All of us in here have been pulling for you, Nut, and we are glad that you are finally on your way to that new Jeep.

Now, tell us EXACTLY what you are going to order! All the options and the color... the whole sheebang!

tsjay

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hi all

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile - on the far left side of my dash there is what looks like a small round red light. I think it's supposed to have something to do with the sentry key system. It never lights up, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is? It's about in the middle/low part of the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Thanks for any info!

yellowman
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    sorry guys..I meant June 25...production starts June 28th...wow...I need to proof read my post..
    thanks Tsjay
    not 100% sure what to order. Wait till catalogs come out.

thanx for calming me down..

Snut
  • wranglerwantedwranglerwanted Member Posts: 18
    "The 02' will have a premium sound system with sub woofer & tweeter.
    The Fog Light/tow hook with be standard on sport
    droping the Forest green color with a light
    green
    A new quiter AC system."

That's the first news I've heard of them. The Sport model is what I'm looking at. I'd rather put my own sounds system in the Wrangler but I'll have to take a look and listen. I don't think I've seen a post about this, but how much do the hard doors weigh? I know most people say they are a pain to take on and off. Thanks.
    A Golden Retriever fits into a Wrangler very well with either the seat folded forward, or with it out. I haven't tried to tether the dog, because I have a hard top. He just likes to go - on weekends he wakes me up at 6 am won't leave me alone until I load him in the Wrangler and go hiking somewhere.

Thanks for the idea of getting a better after market LSD - I didn't know that it would make a difference. One of my friends has air lockers on her truck and they sound wonderful, but out of my price range. Also, I don't know if I would really get much use out of them. I use my jeep to get to interesting places where I wouldn't normally be able to get to, rather than hard core off-roading. On the other hand, I tend to be conservative with what I do since I am driving a stock vehicle. Maybe I would go for it more if I had them.

Saharanut - I like your idea of ordering. Let us know what you end up with, and I'm sorry they have dropped the forest green color - I always liked it (though mine is black).
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The light you are referring to comes on briefly at startup, and indicates the the Sentry Key is being checked. If a regular key is used the engine won't run and the light remains illuminated. If you don't have the Sentry Key system the light shouldn't illuminate at all.
    Welcome to the group and CONGRATULATIONS on that Sahara!

Believe me, I know what you are talking about when you say there's a smile on your face that won't go away. Jeeps will do that for you.

Now, limber up your fingers and start posting on a regular basis. We all love to hear about the experiences of new Jeep owners.

The good news is that the smile will still be there months from now! You just don't get tired of Jeeps.

tsjay

Last year, while hunting, I saw a gasoline powered winch. One end secured to a tree and the other end on the animal. He was just motoring it right up a good sized hill.... very cool. So I have been looking for one. Just toss it in the back, or in the trailer when I get one, and that is it. After 20 years in the Merchant Marine I know a little about rigging, so it shouldn't be that much trouble to set it up. I am going to try chain saw companies an see if they make them, or maybe the guy made it himself.

mtngal: Without going to deep into it (this being a jeep board and all) it is more of a gun control law thing in Canada. (they want you to register your rifle when you cross the border) I ain't gonna register them with a foreign country. I'll stay in the good old USA. I'll just leave it here…. so I don't bore everyone with the details. :o)
  • mark202mark202 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 97 wrangler sport that I bought used. I put the soft top on the other day, and I was wondering what is the best way to fold it down. My concern is for the side and rear windows. Is it best to remove them completely, or is there a way of folding them in with the rest of the top?
    Is there a specific order to do the procedure in.
    It's a best top.

thanks,

Mark
    Hey, the Canadians don't register them either!!!