Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cavalier anti-theft help

2»

Comments

• Options
    rickf1999rickf1999 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017
    gonogo said:

Try this.

HEY TRY TO RESET YOUR SYSTEM .
    THIS HOW YOU DO IT .
    1ST PUT KEY IN SWITCH
    2ND TURN TO ACC LET IT STAY ON OF 11 MINS.
    TURN IT OFF AND BACK ON TO ACC FOR 11 MINS.
    TURN IT OFF AND BACK ON TO ACC FOR 11 MINS.
    IT TAKES ABOUT 33 MINS TO COMPLETE P.S. DO NOT TURN
    THE CAR ON ALL THE WAY JUST TO THE ACC WHEN TRYING TO RESET . AFTER THE 33 MINS IT'S OK TO START. YOU JUST RESET THE
    SECURITY SYSTEM...........

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier: After replacing the ignition cylinder, the Antitheft light came on...but the car began malfunctioning a few days later. We tried the 10-minute method, 11-mintue method, the neutral.....No luck at all. So, I'm going to pick up a Scan tool tomorrow for the exact codes.

How the car malfunctioned: I was on Lodge Fwy on my way to an appt, when I felt a sudden jerk at around 48-49 mph, and the car instantly turned off. It refused to turn-on while at Neutral, so I pulled to the shoulder as quickly as possible. It refused to turn-on the 1st couple times. A couple minutes later, it would then turn-on, and instantly cut back off. Somehow, I was able to turn the car on, after peddling on the gas. Just as I was ready to speed up, the car felt like it was jumping up and down (thought it might have been the rough part of the shoulder), then the car cut back off again.

Tested the fuel-pump connector, and it tested 5 Volts, way below the normal level of 12 Volts. Previous ignition cylinder was worn out, and difficult to turn.

PS. Since the key has no chip/resistor, it's a VAT system, as opposed to a "PASSLOCK."
  • Options
    I have an 02 cavalier and also an 03 monte carlo. the same thing happened to me on the monte best thing I heard was to get the ignition pulled out and find yellow and black wire that sits inside ignition... Cut the yellow wire and splice into black wire just baring wire on the black and tie in a resistor from middle of black wire and yellow wire that is still connected to dash and tape off the yellow wire connected to ignition so it's not live and able to touch anything or wing nut just so that the yellow wire still on ignition is covered and not exposed. I was going to try this myself bought resistor winter and baby came. I waited and bought the 02 cavalier and just havent yet to try this I will be here soon tho do to borrowing the car to my mother and not wanting to see her get stranded cuz of the anti theft system otherwise known as PASSLOCK