Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape

Comments

• Options
    saanichbcsaanichbc Member Posts: 1
    Well, I wouldn't think that Ford would indicate a towing capacity of 3500 lbs with a V6 equipped Escape if you shouldn't tow with a FWD vehicle. There's LOTS of FWD mini-vans out there towing trailers.
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    The Service manager said he will look into the switch issue, but the sunroof (which he said is classified as aftermarket) is not covered under the ESP (Extended Service Plan). But he will only charge me the $50 that my deductable would have charged me. But now the switch is not showing and problem, so the dealer will hold onto the part and service request for 30 days incase it acts up again.

Odie
  • Options
    flexxyflexxy Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to get advice on brakes for my 2001 Escape. It has already had two brake jobs (one in late 2002 and one in early 2004) from the Ford dealer for approximately $400 each. I'm getting ready to take my car to the dealer for its 60,000 mile maintenance and I KNOW they are going to tell me I need new brakes again because they're squeeling.

Is there an alternative shop (Midas or Brakes Plus) where I can get good brakes? What are the ceramic brakes that I've heard talk about? I just want to end this yearly brake expenditure.

I did come across message #2463--are Raybestos and Bendix that brands I should be looking for????

Thanks.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I kind of hate to say this, but brake wear is greatly effected by driving habits.

If you are somone like my Dad, who always waits to the last possible second before you begin to brake and then have to apply full brake power, you are going to get lousey wear performance.

Yes the 01 Escape is probably under braked to begin with, what with the drums in the rear, but you could be making this a lot worse.

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 with 65k miles on it and never have had to replace the brakes. (another way maunal transmissions save money)

Mark
  • Options
    yeah, braking will wear depending on how you drive them. I only have had to have the front disc's replaced at 65k, but the rear drums still look new (from both dealer and goodyear service techs).

Odie
  • Options
    escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    If you have to replace the OEM brake-pads, go with a good brand such as Raybestos, EBC, etc.. I replaced my OEM pads twice too before I got the ceramic
    enhanced pads that I've got now. Little dusting and good wear for about 22K miles on the pads. Buy new rotors as you will probably need them, d/t the OEM rotors maybe not being usable at that point. This may cost you almost as much as what the Ford dealer would charge, but I think you'll be a lot happier in the end.

Just heard from a mechanic friend that Ford is releasing a low-dust replacement pad for the Escape at $300 for the pads alone. They'd better be plated in gold and
    guarantee 100K mikes, 'cause I wouldn't but them otherwise. These will not be replaced for free on '05 Escapes or previous yr. Escapes as I understand it.
  • Options
    billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    I'm very close to adding an Escape to my garage. One small problem--the roof rack "cross bars" won't clear the door. One of the 2 models I am considering is an XLS w/o the roof rack (the rack seems to be on just about all of the XLSs). Of course, all the XLTs have the rack--and the XLT is the other choice. I doubt the side rails are removable. I looked at some earlier posts--perhaps the "crossbars" are easily removed? Many thanks!
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,324
    i just checked our '04 escape which has cross bars. you can depress a tab on the front of the roof rails and remove the cross bars by loosening them and sliding forward off the tracks. looks like it would be better to have one person on each side during removal. can't guarantee the newer models are the same.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The rack on the '05 and '06 models is exactly the same as the one installed on the 2001-2004 models. Press in the tabs and the cross bars slide right out. Getting them back on is just as easy.
  • Options
    waysanwaysan Member Posts: 2
    I leased my 2005 Escape XLT 4WD in Oct. 2004, the Dealer replaced the Rear End/Axle Assembly in May 2005. Since then I have a shudder when the transmission is shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. Ford says it is the Torque Converter locking up at between 48 and 52 KM per hour and that this is an inherent problem with the 2005 XLT 4WD.

Do any other owners experience this problem?
  • Options
    waysanwaysan Member Posts: 2
    Take a 4X4 out for a drive and check for a vibration in the cabin at around 90KM or 55 MPH (with the windows closed) and also ckeck to see if there is a hesitation when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear.

I have had these problems with my 2005 Escape XLT 4X4 and they replaced the Rear End/Axle Assy at 5500miles. The heitation in the transmission didn't occur until after this was done.
  • Options
    m983312m983312 Member Posts: 3
    This is way after the fact, so your car is probably fixed now, but for the purposes of posterity, I had the same problem with my 2001 V6. After two weeks in the shop, all I had to show for it was a bill. In the end and after reading the other Escape forum here, I replaced the Idle Air Speed Control (IAC) Motor. That fixed the problem except that the mechanic revved up the idle to around 2500-3000 which I have yet to deal with. Having your car accelerate to 50 mph without touching the gas is interesting. Anyway, the IAC motor is very easy to replace (I have never done any other work to that engine). The only place I could find the replacement, however, was at the dealership parts counter for about $70. Once you have it in hand, it is pretty intuitive. It sits right on top of the engine and has one plug and two 8mm bolts. It's really very simple so long as you have a wrench or socket set.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Went and had my 01 Escape XLT V6 4WD interior professionaly cleaned yesterday. Wow! what a huge difference. I didn't realize my interior had become that dirty. The inside looks like new. They cleaned the door jambs also! all interior windows ect.. I recommend having this done to those who own older Escapes, makes them look new again...
    For those of us who have the plastic bumpers/molding. You must take care of this. I do my own outside detailing of my vehicle. The guy at the detail shop said my vehicle looked great, he could tell I was using plastic cleaner/conditioner on my bumpers/moldings. Pass the word....Take care of your plastics on your Escapes/Tribs... :D
  • Options
    sseymoursseymour Member Posts: 2
    The torque converter is exactly what it is. My '02 has done it since day one, and it's getting worse. We tried driving in town in "2" and with the overdrive off, and that helped some. It gets sloppy from third to fourth, or kicking back down from overdrive, and bucks like crazy. At first I thought it was having contractions and was giving birth to a Pinto. But now we have $700 in a rebuilt converter to look forward to. At 17,000 we needed the tie rods replaced, at 27,000 the motor literally disintegrated while my wife pulled into the parking lot at work, and now this. At least the earlier issues were still under warranty. But now, this is not covered under major med. Ford never has a reason, excuse, or apology handy. A shrug of the shoulders and,"Hey man, I just work here" is about the best anyone can do.

All I can say is don't think it is just the 04-05's. I baby my cars, and this one has been serviced faithfully, (even breast fed.) So don't think that your problem is from misuse. If I were you and was lucky enough to have leased rather than purchased - I'd drive it until the lease is up, hand them the keys, and don't look back.

Problem for me is . . .I still LIKE the damn thing! :cry: :lemon:
  • Options
    sseymoursseymour Member Posts: 2
    Again, this is nothing new in "05. My "02 with the 6 CD's does the exact same thing. Also, even with only one commercially made CD, please go slowly through each command. My wife is a typist, and her hands work way more quickly than mine. She pushed one too many buttons too quickly, and the end result was we had to install a new unit altogether. Ford covered this one under warranty.

Also, the angle of the player is tipped, and you want to always tip the disk in a downward angle. Shorter people just tend to lift it UP and this really jams the thing and will not allow the EJ button to work.

For a standard unit, it has a terrific sound, though. ;)
  • Options
    eroseros Member Posts: 27
    I've been contemplating the purchase of an Escape AWD for use in snowy Boston. Question: Why doesn't Ford include a stability control option with the Escape? The vehicle is NOT recommended by Consumer Reports because it went up on two wheels in one of their road handling tests. On most other SUVs on the market, some type of stability control is Standard!!!!!
  • Options
    reid1083reid1083 Member Posts: 8
    I have to say I love my Ford Escape XLT. Well, that was until November of 2004 when I started taking it in for a hesitation problem to my local ford service center. They still haven't fixed it. I have spent over 400 bucks. Every time I call to tell them their newest guess hasn't worked they make me come in and test drive it until it happens with a service guy in the car, the problem is they will only go around the block with you and then they tell you to come back another day and try again. The last time I brought my car in was a month ago. I had to go 4 times before it hesitated with a service guy in the car. Now it is happening again and I have to do the same thing. I am amazed that Ford doesn't even know how to fix their own cars.
  • Options
    retiredcopretiredcop Member Posts: 3
    Grrrrrrrrr!! Just got my new Escape 2005 XLT and now the right front headlight has condensation inside the lense , one person told me there is a vent hole somewhere but didn't know where and that it is probley clogged ... ??? Does anyone have the same problem ?? is there a repair or resolution in site ...
    PLEASE clear my lense on this ...
    Thanks
    Eggie :cry:
  • Options
    put the headlights on for a while, that should dry it out. if the moisture comes back, you have a problem. then bring it back to the dealer.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I would take it to the dealer now. They should replace that under warranty, no questions asked.
  • Options
    retiredcopretiredcop Member Posts: 3
    Have done that thanks for several days still no resolution , condensation returns , with headlight on only drys out headlight focus area ..
    Thanks
  • Options
    Bring it back to the deaer with the condensation in the lense, and tell them it hasn't gone away and is not normal for headlamp lenses to collect condensation..
    This should be covered under new-car warranty period.
  • Options
    Take this back to the dealer. Make them order you a new headlamp. Go above the servce guys head if need be. Ask for a service manager. If he starts to give you guff, go above thier head. Keep going up the food chain. Everyone has a boss... This is covered under warranty by Ford Motor Company. The dealership is not paying for this problem.
    The light could have been damaged in shipment to the dealer, or if someone else took it on a test drive. None the less the headlamp should have zero moisture in it.. Weep hole?? never hear of it...
  • Options
    ducky3ducky3 Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a Ford Escape for the winter and don't know if I should get the XLS or XLT. I'm a life long stick shift driver and would prefer not to get an automatic car, but am concerned about the power of the 4 cylinder.

I live at the top of a steep hill and am not sure the 4 cylinder XLS can make it all the way.

Also, how does the 4 cylinder handle in the snow in general? I test drove both yesterday, but it's hard to tell in the mild weather. The XLS didn't struggle to go uphill and the gears shifted smoothly, but it's not icy and snowy right now.

I am going from a GT Ford Probe (which I have LOVED) and am used to a powerful car getting me where I want to go. Only problem with the Probe was it was a car and I didn't have SUV expectations from it.
  • Options
    Ever thought of a V6 Front Wheel drive version of this vehicle? With chains or snow tires I would bet this would handle snow filled roads just fine, yet give you the power you enjoy. :)
  • Options
    ducky3ducky3 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove one yesterday, but the V6 is automatic, and I am trying to avoid an automatic car if possible. I would prefer the manual transmission, but it only comes in 4 cylinders and that concerns me in terms of power and strength through snow.
  • Options
    arminianarminian Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in help with the 12v acc outlet in my Escape. I blew it out by using a malfunctioning inverter while working on a project. I've checked every fuse in the vehicle, including replacing the acc relay and it still doesn't work. I've taken apart the outlet itself and it appears that there is no current to the wires that connect to it. Is there in inline fuse, or is there another thing I can look at?
  • Options
    chuck1chchuck1ch Member Posts: 15
    I had a 2001 Tribute that had condensation in the headlight and they replaced it under warranty without question.

The tech told me it was recurring problem with the sealing of the headlight unit.

Moisture = corrosion = electrical shorts.
  • Options
    timmyptimmyp Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have a problem with their Escape pulling to one side or the other? My '03 XLT has got a strong pull to the left. It seems that I've always had a pull, but of late, it has gotten much stronger. I've been rotating my tires every 5K miles, the LF tire has the balancing weight on it...in Dec '04, the "steering gear" (Ford's description) had to be replaced...I've got a V6, with about 26K miles.

On another note, I read some of the articles about gas mileage. I too, find that I get most mileage when the gas gauge reads between Full and 1/2...after that, it seems to zip by! I wish I could get 370 miles to a tank of gas! I usually have to fill-up when I have around 300, 310 miles on the trip odometer...I can get up to about 330 miles, but by then, the idiot light has come on, indicating I need some gas. I do most of my driving on the freeway, with about 5 miles in the city (the city being Wash., DC)

Well, lemme know if anybody has experienced the pulling problem...thanks! :)
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I drove a 4-cylinder automatic recently - it was surprisingly quick off the line, and very smooth. I'd have preferred to drive a manual-trans version, but they haven't gotten any in yet.

I think you'd be surprised by how much kick a modern 4-cylinder with Fuel Injection and V V T can give.

My previous ride was a 146 Hp Honda CR-V (pre-V V Ti) with a stick. It was fine on power. If you can find a new CR-V with a stick, you should try it - they're really fun to drive. Just not many of them around. But it's only available in AWD (Actually, their term is RT4WD).

Hope this helps you. I've rented Escapes several times and really like 'em. But beware, if you need to get up steep, snowy hills, you should get the AWD version. Neither FWD combo, I4 or V6, give you traction control
  • Options
    in general, start out by checking your tire pressures.
    it might be an alignment issue
    knowing a bit about the dc area, what speed do you drive on the highway?
    how many gallons do you put in when the low fuel light comes on?
  • Options
    jimjackcokejimjackcoke Member Posts: 1
    My '02 Escape with just over 50K miles on it had to have the fuel pump replaced.
    Seems a little early for this kind of thing.

My mechanic said it was hard to find the part, implying that it must be in high demand.

Any thoughts or comments ?
    :confuse:
  • Options
    dearbornborndearbornborn Member Posts: 6
    Bought 05 Escape 3 months ago been back to dealer twice for strong pull to the left. Got it back again yesterday....guess what...same pull. I live on the west coast and I'm running out of room.
  • Options
    dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    Guess you don't watch Fox News ;)
    Can you try a different dealer's service dept?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a major daily newspaper is looking to speak with people who’ve purchased a crossover/sports wagon in the last few months. Specifically, vehicles like the Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, Ford Freestyle, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, or Toyota Highlander.

If you have, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, September 27, 2005 with your daytime contact information and a brief description of your recent crossover/sport wagon purchase experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    dhunt1dhunt1 Member Posts: 1
    The Escape has 90000 miles on it. It has a loud annoying chatter coming from what seems to be just one of the lifters. It starts only after the engine has warmed up.I heard many possible answers to this problem but dont know exactly what it is.
  • Options
    tabzztabzz Member Posts: 1
    I am taking my 2001 escape XLT for the 60k service. The service guy has quoted me $250. Is it reasonable?

The service covers:

- Change engine oil and replace oil filter (Up to 5 qts of motor oil)
    - Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
    - Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
    - Perform multi-point inspection
    - Rotate tires for optimal tire life
    - Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
    - Inspect wheel ends for end play and noise
    - Replace engine air filter
    - Inspect and lubricate steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and, if equipped, half shafts drive shaft and u-joints
    - Replace fuel filter
  • Options
    nolandbobnolandbob Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have replacement instructions for a 2001 Ford Escape Drivers side headlight. It does not seem to be a simple replacement like the good old days. Picked up a stone which cracked the lens and now it is fogged up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Is this a dealership quote? Check a good reputable shop like Firestone? or Pep Boys? They may do better..
  • Options
    Having had to take my passenger-side headlamp out to re-seal it d/t mositure build-up, I have little experience..... If you haven't started already, you will have to go from the driver's-side wheel well. You may have to turn your wheel outward to have enough clearance. Remove the plastic wheel well cover and you will the set screws or bolts holding the light in place, I think that there's three (3). Once they're removed it's pretty much just unhooking the electrical harness and taking the whole housing out. Unforntunately you'll have to reverse procedure for the install. Check on Ebay for light housings, I think that they're much cheaper and in decent shape too. Most parts that I've bought through Ebay are decent used quality if not brand new in some cases. The used ones look to be in the $60 range while the new ones are $100+. Good luck.
  • Options
    Seems a bit high, but dealerships typically charge high for high-interval maintenance, i.e, 30K, 60K, etc.. You may want to check into individual services from another shop:

Oil/Filter change: $25 tops
    Air Filter change: $25 tops
    Lube (?): As I understand it, all ball-joints, suspension components are sealed, the dealership mechanic will do 15-minute walk-around max.
    Rotate Tires: typically this service can be discounted but averages $25
    Fuel Filter change: $50 tops (can be done in about 15-minutes under the car)
    Multi-point inspection: May include a diagnostic-scan, but maybe not. This scan is increasingly being done at dealers for about $60-$100. Takes about 15-minutes as I'm told.

Seems to me your price should be about 1/2 what you listed and even then the service department is making money. I can almost guarantee the dealer is making 100%+ profit on what they are charging. I'm not a mechanic or former service-writer, but this stuff's not too hard to figure out either. Out of $250 charged, the mechanic will only make maybe $60.00 for a 1-hour service. Good luck, but I agree with the other posts to check around some if you can. :)
  • Options
    nolandbobnolandbob Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help excapenut. I was assuming having to go through the wheel well or pulling the front bumper. Were you able to successfully re-seal the headlight? Mine is still working, so I was wondering if I could do the same thing? If not the Ebay route is the way to go as the dealer wants over $200 for just the part.
  • Options
    gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    Try www.autolites.com $87 samolians , dineros, bucks, dough whatever
    you prefer.
  • Options
    no mention of doing a tranny service. what do you think about that? i just had the fuel filter replaced on my focus at 15k, about $75 parts and labor. they didn't try to hit me up for an air filter(good for 100k), so i was ok with it. have about 18k on the escape.
  • Options
    have all of you tire work done elsewhere. I personally go to a local Goodyear. Best part is, if you purchase the lifetime roadhazard warrenty (goodyear will do it on dunlops, continental's) even if you didn't buy the tires there. You get Rebalancing, and rotation FREE every 6000 miles, and they recomend a full 4 Wheel Alignment ($90) every 18k. It only cost me $4.50 per tire for the Lifetime Road hazard warrenty. They will also do a full safety check of you entire vehicle free of charge, so if they find anything, your dealer then will have to fix and you will have it in writing from an outside source that there is a problem. Well worth the looking into.

Odie :)
  • Options
    The headlamp was successfully sealed and I havn't had any problems since. Oddly enough the driver's-side headlamp did not have any condensation and has not developed any in 4+ years. I'd avoid the dealer if at all possible. Online dealer-parts sales are an alternative, and typically you save ~25% as opposed to going to the local dealership, if you buy from online parts. This is extra revenue and non-taxable (from out-of-state) as yet for dealerships, so for some it's a huge increase from their local sales alone.
    I'd go with the suggestion in a couple of posts down too.
  • Options
    I'd have a complete tranny fluid exchange done at about 25-30K miles. There are a bunch of services; BG, Wynn's, Justice Bros., etc., and all are about as good, but I've had the BG services done to mine. This will cost more than just a drop-the-pan and drain service. Expect to pay $150+ for this service. It's the most comprehensive but I think worth it. Currently I'm running completely synthetic transmission fluid (Mobil 1) and have had no problems to speak of with the transmission as yet (80K miles on '01 XLT 2WD V6). I changed to the synthetic at roughly 55K miles. So it's about time for another exchange anyway.

My biggest gripe is and always has been the gas mileage. But apparently the newer model Escapes with electronic throttle control and other upgrades get about
    2-3 mpg more than mine.
  • Options
    seadog2seadog2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2006 Escape 4WD - at 55 mph vibration.
    The dealer has already done a road force balance - but after a day it
    returned. -- There are two NHTSA reports of the same problem - vibration
    at about 55 mph - are we on the source of a serious default here?

Looking for inputs and advise - of course I'm going back to the dealer for another
    attempt at a repair - should have kept the gas guzzler - at least it didn't vibrate
    at hi-way speeds...
  • Options
    thanks for the tranny info. our '04 v6 4by gets about the epa estimates. never had it on a long trip though.
  • Options
    reid1083reid1083 Member Posts: 8
    Good luck trying to get it fixed. I have been taking my 01 escape since november of 04 for the same problem and put over $400 into it and today they told me basically there was nothing they could do for me. Not even a credit. Ford is more than horrible when it comes to fixing things. You spend money because they say it will fix a problem and when it doesn't they won't give you your money back! Needless to say....I am very unhappy.