Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tuning/Modding my 96' Honda, Civic?

mikew7mikew7 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Honda
Hey I've been driving a while and am new to the tuning and modding scene. I was just wanting some friendly info on where I should start Exterior mods, interior mods, or Performance mods? I have a budget of about 4,000 to 5,000 right now so please any advice is well appreciated! Oh, and pictures of the Civic are in my profile.

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What do you want to do? With a 96 Civic you could spend 5k and make it into a full bore Honda Challenge race car!

-mike
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    don't mod anthing exterior wise, except your wheels. Defintely do performance first! What model of civic is it? If its a dx, lx, ex, look for an new engine to swap into it; such as a b16 or a b18. IF you really want to go all out, get a k series. The parts will be costly, but the engine will last longer.

The best upgrade you can do for right now is your suspension. Shocks, springs (or coilovers) strut bars,etc and performance oriented tires and wheels are essential before you start messing with power. That way you will have a car that, at least initially, wont be terrible fast, but will handle great!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup handling and braking is the way to go. If you can stop faster you can carry your speed further into the turns. If you can handle better in the turns, you can carry your speed through the turns.

Many times I've been on the racetrack and out braked and outhandled larger, more powerful cars with my dinky Subaru Impreza L with an automatic!

-mike
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Good brakes and suspension is worth at least 50HP.
  • xaetaxaeta Member Posts: 8
    for 4-grand to 5-grand it's best that you buy new suspension and brakes so that you can lower the car and control it.
    when you get a few more funds, might wanna buy a SPOON Engine to swap out the stock one; remove the air-conditioner; get a smaller horn in favor of enhancing your exhaust system. If you can't get the engine, try for a Turbo Charger and Timer from HKS that would best fit your engine.

I'd build up on the interiors and the goodies last.
  • beechbwoibeechbwoi Member Posts: 1
    Hey
    Its more than a year since you post this message, but just in case you're still interested, check the link below for a guide to performance moddiing. Have fun!!!

http://www.superhonda.com/tech/beginners_guide_to_performance.html
  • repoman2k9repoman2k9 Member Posts: 1
    START WITH A CLEAN SWAP LIK A GSR WHICH COMES WITH 170 HORSES
    THEN INVEST IN LIGHT BOLT ONS LIKE A AEM INTAKE, ADJUSTABLE CAM GEARS, MSD IGNITION, VTEC CONTROLLER, NUTHIN THAT MAKES UR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND ALSO U CAN SPANK UR AVERAGE SPORTS CAR LIKE CELICA MOST OTHER CIVICS AND STILL KEEP FILL UPS TO A MINIMAL

LOWER UR CAR WITH COILOVERS SUCH AS TEIN OR SKUNK2 OR I HEARD MEGAN IS GOOD INVEST IN BEEFED UP SWAY BARS

LAST BUT NOT LEAST EXTERIOR KEEP A NICE CLEAN LOOK
    NO WING A LIP WOULD BE NICE, WHEELS I WOULD GO WITH GT3S I THINK THEY LOOK THE BEST ON OUR MODEL CIVICS I REALLY LIK THE GOLD MODEL
This discussion has been closed.