Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    You said ... you can NOT beat the practicality of a minivan.

That says it all. I wish I could get one that gets 30 mpg.

When I transitioned to my 02 MDX from a minivan (18 years with the same Toyota minivan) I missed the extra space. The MDX did get the job done most of the time, but there have been times we have had to use two vehicles to carry all that would easily fit in my old Toyota vanwagon (that's what they were called when they were introduced in 1984).

Our PT Cruiser GT can carry longer objects than our MDX and our 05 Prius rides better and is quieter, but can't carry nearly as much cargo, even though it is a hatchback.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    for a 2003 MDX and we don't regret it for a second. The Ody was GREAT! but the MDX is nicer and drives more like a car. I have a feeling though that when we are tired of the MDX there will be a 2005+ Ody Touring in our future.
  • Options
    xxxxxxxbigfootxxxxxxxbigfoot Member Posts: 1
    Nancy,

You provide a ray of hope for people wanting to get out of a minivan.
    If you have a boy and a girl in the middle row of the MDX, does an adult fit comfortably with them in the middle row?
    I suspect a minivan would have been the best buy, but you wanted something a little more sporting.

Bigfoot

p.s. Your secret is safe with me. ;)
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    If so, any thoughts? I'm shopping for a nice used '03-'05 MDX or 4Runner, altho I could get a fairly base new '06 4Runner for about $29K. No specific requirements, other than safety, handling, interior comfort & looks. TIA!
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Sort of an apples to oranges comparison.

The 4-Runner is more of a traditional truck, complete with truckish ride, truckish handling, and real towing and off-roading capacity.

The MDX is more like the RX330 or a glitzy version of the Highlander. It offers a better ride and better handling, but sacrifices those nice truckish hauling attributes.

Based only on safety, handling, comfort, and looks, I'd recommend the MDX. Crash and rollover safety for the MDX is slightly better. Handling is better in the MDX. The 4-Runner is no slouch in these areas, but the MDX is just a bit better. Comfort and looks are very much a matter of personal taste. I think you ought to rely on your own judgement there.
  • Options
    Good analysis, thanks. One thing is: Head & side airbags are still an "option" on the 4Runner (???), & not many used ones seem to have it. At least the MDX got side curtain airbags in '04. I'm also wondering how people like the newer Bose premium audio system in the Touring models? Finally, I think the interior looks more....."expensive" in the MDX, even compared to a 4Runner Limited. I suppose my question now is: whether to hold out for a used Touring, or go for a base MDX if I find a good deal on one.
  • Options
    love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    Thank you everyone who responded!

I DO realize that I would miss those sliding doors :(. But then I would be able to use the child locks and keep them from opening their doors from the inside and jumping out into the parking lot like they do now. This obviously makes me nervous with all the crazy things that happen in parking lots nowadays. I like the idea of them not being to get out until I'm good and READY!

Thankfully, my youngest is in a regular car seat now, and it will probably be forward-facing by the time we'd make the transition, so no probs there. My oldest is just about out of a booster, but even if she still uses it, we can still fit two boosters & the car seat all in the second row. (It's pretty tight, tho!) I don't know if we'd use the third row all the time, since getting access to it requires moving the booster seat so you can tilt the seat forward. I do A LOT of my driving while the oldest is in school, so that helps.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free. Thanks!
  • Options
    einein Member Posts: 2
    No offense but I absolutely hate the idea of owning a minivan. And believe me I know all about the changes in size, we went from a suburban to an MDX. But we also had an 80 pound black lab which is now a 25 pound colley, and 2 less children to drive around. I really just wanted to say that i dont like minivans for many reasons. And the MDX has proven to be a fantastic buy even less space then the suburban. We also save money on gas, We had a 454 Cu. In. engine in that monster. Hah. :D
  • Options
    I understand your concerns about the kids being able to get out of a minivan. However, couldn't this be solved by keeping the doors locked and when you exit you can unlock them with the keyless entry? This would work only if you had the Ody EX with the power doors/keyless.

On a different note, we have noticed a slight scrubbing sound at times when the MDX is parked/moving slowly and we turn the steering wheel. It seems RPM dependent and only happens when you are moving very slowly .... for example it happens at times when we are backing out of a parking space. Our dealer inspected the car when we had the 45/60k service done. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    Good point. Except the thing I don't like about doing that is this: The Ody's key fob is not exactly quick. It drives me crazy sometimes. You have to press unlock, press it again, then press the sliding door button. Three extra steps for me. (Of course, I could always use the unlock button on the door if I'm still inside.) Yeah, I know, picky picky...

Can you tell that I'll do anything to rationalize getting the MDX? :)
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    If you live in the snow belt like I do the AWD on the MDX is worth the premium over the Front-drive Ody. Out X goes through snow with the best of them. If I lived where there is little or no snow, I'd buy an Odysey for sure.
  • Options
    dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    That noise I believe is just the noise the belt tensioner or whatever it's called that makes the steering wheel turnable.

I may not know exactly what I'm talking about, but I had the same noise or at least what sounds like the same noise, and I had them replace the steering column etc. even though they said the noise was normal.....

well after 4 hours without a car and a nice nap in the waiting area of Acura, the car was ready to drive home...AND the noise was still there.

A.K.A...I wouldn't worry about it ;-) My MDX has been great.
  • Options
    dave210 and anonymousposts, I was wondering when your MDXs started having this noise? How many miles? Hearing this won't stop me from getting one, but I am not too happy about it. My old minivan (98 Chr T&C) did this, and we could not get it 100% fixed so we gave up & lived with it.

We would be leasing our MDX for 3 yrs, 45K miles, so maybe I'd luck out and not have this problem while I had it?
  • Options
    so I'm not sure if it was present when the car was new or not. It doesn't happen often and the car drives and sounds fine otherwise. Also, our dealer did a thorough inspection and didn't come back with any problems or concerns. I'm not really worried about it, just curious.

I can understand wanting the MDX. We traded a 2004 Ody EX-RES and while the Ody was nice I don't really miss it. The Ody is roomier and drives a bit lighter but the MDX feels more like a car. We have kept our gas mileage at an acceptable 20 MPG average. Our 19 month old also likes it because he is able to see out of the windows better than in the Ody. My only advice is to spring for the NAV. After having it in the MDX we regret not opting for it in our 04 Accord.
  • Options
    anythngbutgm, is that snow performance with the regular (all season, I assume?) tires. How many people put snow tires on the MDX in Winter? I've noticed not all AWD vehicles are great in the snow with the factory rubber.
  • Options
    dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    I imagine we've had the noise since we bought it new, it just took a while for me to notice.

The dealer assured me it's not a problem by any means, but still replaced whatever internal crap there is in the steering column.

I don't recall my '96 or '00 T&C minivans doing this, but with those cars, I was noticing too many other rattles and noises to pay attention to a small oddity in my steering wheel.
  • Options
    Stock All-seasons with 55k on them. Still have plenty of traction now that snow has started falling here in N.E. I am hoping to get another winter out of them and replace them in the Springtime. Should be at the 60 - 65k mark by then.

To answer your question, No I don't have snow tires, the stockers are just fine. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    pretishpretish Member Posts: 5
    Varmint, Anonymous, folks - i was thinking of getting a used Acura MDX too. I couldnt find a good posting on used car pricing, prices paid etc..

So i thought I would ask you since you bought used MDX. I was wondering since we are in the month of Decemember, will the car depreciate significantly in another month considering we are going into 2006? I know it depends on mileage and other factors. There were some 2004 available with the dealers and they seemed pretty eager to sell it - but i wanted to know if i should wait for end of month or haggle the price.

Varmint - following your steps here - your posts influenced me into getting CR-V (did you post as Varmit back then?). Being an avid snowboarder and some more power, want an upgrade to MDX now :)

Thanks,
  • Options
    Good lord, I have influence? Sounds dangerous. :surprise:

2004 models were kinda rare where I'm at. Leases for 2004s are just now starting to end. So the dealer wasn't anxious in my case.

I happened to go in at the end of the month to make my deal. I probably didn't get the absolute best price I could have, but I got a fair deal without more than 2 minutes of haggling. Probably because they wanted to make their numbers for the month.

The model year will have some impact when it comes time to turn over the rig. That's one reason why I opted for a 2004 rather than a 2003. But the same is true when purchasing the vehicle. I could have gotten a similar 2003 for less $. It's not like buying a new 2006 versus a leftover (but still new) 2005 model.
  • Options
    With a new model around the corner, I would expect deals on the gen 1 MDX. Amazing thing is how well resale value is on these rigs. According to one used car site (not Edmunds, sorry) even 01' models with something like 130k miles on them are going for as much as 17 grand. :D

04' models gained a few features over the 03' like VSC and better breathing (and a bit more attractive)dual exhaust which make it that much more desirable IMO.
  • Options
    The new model really isn't just around the corner as far as the dealers are concerned. They just released the 2006 MDX. So, I don't expect we'll see the fire sales until summer of next year.

A good deal can be had, but those taking-out-the-trash deals are still a ways off.

I like the new grill which debuted on the '04s, but I'm less enamored with the look of the headlights. I was attracted to the 2004 for the engine/exhaust improvements and VSA. (Already used the VSA the other day.) I think 3 rows of airbags was introduced in 2003, which is another thing I was after. Too bad, because there was a nicely maintained, low mileage 2002 on the lot for a lot less money.
  • Options
    Finally, side curtain Airbags are standard is all I've gotta say... :D
  • Options
    I've been shopping for a used 03-04 MDX myself. It's tough--if you only want a Touring, are only willing to go 100-200 miles to buy it, etc. I've been purusing Fee-bay & other online car selling sites.

There's a guy near me selling an '04 Touring, 19K miles, asking around $31K. I think a good price for me would be more like $28-$29K--anyone have an opinion? I'm mainly using the Edmunds used car pricing. But I'm wondering if it's worth to wait for any deals on a new '06, even if in a few months.

pretish, if you posted the pricing you're getting, people here could probably give a more informed opinion. And buying in late Dec. from a dealer can be good, but you really need to know "what is a great deal" before commiting or bargaining.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We have a 2005 MDX and I thought side curtain airbags were standard on it. Am I mistaken?
  • Options
    There's a guy near me selling an '04 Touring, 19K miles, asking around $31K. I think a good price for me would be more like $28-$29K--anyone have an opinion? I'm mainly using the Edmunds used car pricing. But I'm wondering if it's worth to wait for any deals on a new '06, even if in a few months.

*varmint doing his Terry impersonation*

In the land of the frozen golf ball washers...

We gots the goodies package, the factory moo hides, redesigned slushbox, and that warm, fuzzy Honda feeling. IF ~ we don't have any repaints, no Soccer Mom interior, like-new round thingies holding it up, no curb burners and no 27 Wendy's bags stuck under the seats .... $28-29K is good.

varmint
  • Options
    You're not mistaken, but I was a moment ago.

Curtain-style airbags were added in 2004. I was thinking they were added in 2003. It was actually VSA that was added in 2003.
  • Options
    I meant it more as a jealousy thing as I don't have them on my '03. I must say it's the ONE disappointment I have for not choosing an '04 last year... That and HIDS (which mine are aftermarket) were the two gripes people had with the X over the years...
  • Options
    mine has it. I am missing the curtains and XM radio though. I still love it. We toyed with the idea of selling our MDX and buying a new "something" but in the end there is nothing on the market we want more ... other than a new MDX with curtains and XM radio :) However, a new MDX would be at least $15,000 more than we paid for this MDX so it's really not worth it to us. At least our Accord has those two features ... but it's missing the NAV and the AWD.
  • Options
    I'm spoiled with having side & head air-bags (that are on my bmw)--I'd hate to go w/out them now. Altho when I had my Range Rover, that didn't have them, I didn't worry nearly as much as in a car A. because it was built like a tank (not that bmw's aren't) & B. being high up in a truck or SUV, I figure there is less chance of another giant SUV crashing thru your side windows.

I'ts like, the Car Talk guys are always saying that older Volvos w/o no air bags at all are safer than a lot of cheesier new cars with 6 air bags. But I agree, I still want all the safety features I can get, these days.
  • Options
    are more of a must have in our Accord, IMO. The MDX has side airbags and it feels like a pretty solid vehicle. Plus, at 4500 lbs it may safer without the SCAB than our 3000 lb Accord is with the SCAB. When the MDX hits 100,000 to 120,000 we will probably sell it and buy a new wagon/SUV. It will be interesting to see what the new MDX looks like.
  • Options
    chynachyna Member Posts: 3
    HIDS - Are you talking about the headlights? I am thinking about purchasing a 03 or 04 MDX but am trying to find out which year has the xenon halogen headlights.
    If anyone has the answer, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I believe the '04 comes with the HIDS (High Intensity Discharge) headlights, while the '03 does not. I bought mine pre-owned with them installed (I believe they are a GE setup, but not sure). They do wonders for illumination, enough so that I don't use the fog lamps.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I need and want to get the HIDS (amber colored lights). I have trouble seeing at nite and I've seen them on other cars and they seem so bright. I think they'd help me out alot.
    I went to an aftermarket place and they said it would be $500 for the lights and installation but since wanted to pick up a used MDX..I might as well get the year that has them already.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    To date, the stock MDX has NOT come with HID (xenon) headlamps.

The 2004 MDX replaced the older reflector headlamps with projectors. But they are halogen.
  • Options
    Yep, still no HIDs. Here's a quote from a 2004 press release. Interesting that they include this remark in the section on styling, not safety.

"A redesigned headlight treatment features a leaner, more angular design and new projection-type headlights that enhance illumination while accenting the new styling."

http://hondanews.com/CatID3027?mid=2003090335871&mime=asc&archives=t
  • Options
    Okay...so does anyone know how much the xenon halogen lights are including installation?

*Thanks for the helpful info.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification. I've never known them as two separate entities. I've always associated them as the same.

Apologize for the confusion.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    We just got a mail extending the warranty on our egr valve to 8 years/80,000 miles. This is for our '02. I think it applies to the '01/'02 model years. They said something about potentially causing surging during light acceleration.

We don't have that issue, but thought I would let people know regarding. Acura also said they would reimburse people who had it replaced prior.
  • Options
    rlevinerlevine Member Posts: 2
    I just got my new '06 MDX with Touring, RES and Nav and it looks like there is no subwoofer (despite the quickstart guide talking about one. The RES and Nav are in addition to the Touring option, so I have no idea why there wouldn't be a sub. The radio adjustments don't include a Sub adjustment. Any ideas?
  • Options
    howehowe Member Posts: 22
    The subwoofer is on the passenger side by the rear hatch. Look for the grill cover. There is no separate subwoofer control, just a bass control. ;)
  • Options
    Press release and scores of 44 current model SUV's (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader):

http://www.iihs.org/news/2006/iihs_news_010806.pdf

The MDX scores "Poor" in IIHS's test, which is designed to measure whiplash injuries in a rear-end collision. The test focuses on the design of the seat and head restraint.

IIHS has a newer test that places the model's seat onto a sled for testing. This dynamic test is weighed heavier than the previous test, which was a simply static measurement of the head restraint's geometry.

Only the Ford Freestyle, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR3, Subaru Forester, and Volvo XC90 scored "Good" in the test.

To date, Acuras either score "Poor" or "Marginal" in this test.

Acura needs to update the seat design, probably starting with the next-gen MDX. While whiplash injuries aren't life-threatening, they can be really painful.
  • Options
    howehowe Member Posts: 22
    The MDX has a lot of company in this rating including many Toyota, BMW, Lexus, other Hondas, etc. VERY FEW vehicles passed this test. That the 06 Honda Pilot did, indicates Acura will readily address the issue, especially in light of this new report.
  • Options
    In defense of any vehicle not scoring well on an IIHS test, there is some bias in the test development. The IIHS sets very high standards so that more vehicles fail. This way insurance companies can charge higher rates for those vehicles which score poorly.

Though, I certainly would be happier with higher scores.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Consider where i stand for a moment... My father is retiring in 6 days and is looking for a reliable vehicle to take into retirement. Deciding between a 06 V8 4runner sr5 2wd(w/ 3row seats, navigation, leather w/ heated seats and dvd entertainment system) 06 Acura Mdx (w/ navigation and res) and 06nissan armada SE(navigation, leather and dvd entertainment). The 3 come out to be near in $$$ and features. The mdx and 4runner are very reliable and all 3 hold value. The Armada is biggest but uses most fuel. This is tough!!! :sick:

The mdx and the 4runner drive nicely while being quick with similar horsepower numbers. In case you're wondering about the 3rd row of seats, i need one to get rid of the need to drive two vehicle to places, mostly short distances. While the 4runner isn't the "better" choice for the third row, it will only be used 1 a month, at most. :) While on 3 row seats, dosen't have to have lexus comfort, it just needs to be usable and can fit a carseat. Help please..!!!!!!!!!!

ps, don't want a :lemon: .
  • Options
    bilmatbilmat Member Posts: 53
    I saw the segment on "Dateline" that covered this test and am dubious as to how well it related to real world rear-end accidents, just like many of the manufacturers stated in their correspondence to "Dateline." As I see it, there are far too many variables. Six that immediately come to mind include:

1) The relative weight and height of the vehicle causing the rear-ender, compared to the weight and height of the victim vehicle.

2) The weight and height of the driver in the victim vehicle.

3) The age and physical condition of the driver in the victim vehicle.

4) Whether the driver's headrest was adjusted so that the center of the back of the driver's head made contact with the center of the headrest at the moment of impact (as pointed out in the TV report).

5) Whether the lumbar support was adjusted in a way that it added some stiffness to the back of the driver's seat.

6) With so many manufacturers producing so many models, coupled with numerous variations of individual models, are we supposed to believe that the results of a crash test on one particular make and model will be the same for all variations of that make and model?

While some people who are victims of rear-end accidents actually suffer physical injuries, many collect money from insurance companies for nothing more than a complaint of pain, something that can neither be proved nor disproved. Four decades ago, before headrests became standard equipment, it was virtually common knowledge that if you even got tapped in the rear end, make sure a "complaint of pain" was noted in the accident report. For a lot of people, it was almost like winning a lottery. I doubt that attitude has changed today.

The IIHS tests that impress me more than the rear-enders are those for head-on collisions that have appeared on "Dateline" over the past several years. But there are tons of variable factors relating to those as well.

As far as I'm concerned, all of these IIHS tests need to be taken with a grain of salt. While they can be used as a general guide to how well a particular vehicle 'may' hold up in an accident in terms of occupant safety, it's unlikely that anyone will have an accident exactly like those replicated in the tests. Still, I suppose the tests are far better than no tests at all.
  • Options
    Still, I suppose the tests are far better than no tests at all.

Yes, I agree the tests have to be taken with a grain of salt and there are indeed many variables. However, the tests are useful comparisons between vehicles. While it's true that one vehicle might behave better than another given a different set of variables, I'd expect that there is some correlation in the relative comparison.

Another way of looking at it is that Volvo has been working on seat/head restraint designs to reduce injuries for years, having been the first automaker to develop them for its vehicles. This was long before IIHS had this dynamic test, so Volvo couldn't have known of any future test protocol. And now all Volvos tested score "Good" on this test, despite the fact that some are four year old designs. It shows they were doing something right, and the test actually agrees with their research.

If anything, if these tests cause consumers to ask for better safety engineering, I think consumers win.
  • Options
    The IIHS sets very high standards so that more vehicles fail.

I don't think that opinion is totally accurate, though it is definitely at least partially true.

E.g. while IIHS uses a 50th percentile male dummy for the frontal test, it only uses a 5th percentile female dummy for the side-impact test. That should obviously make the "injuries" in the side-impact test more serious than what's in the general population. So there, it coudl be argued that IIHS has biased the test.

But, on the other hand, IIHS also seems to have pulled its punches with that same side-impact test. While it was still being developed, there were reports that the new side-impact test was so severe that no vehicles could score well on it. And when the test parameters were finalized, it turns out that the barrier meant to simulate an SUV or a pickup truck weighs only 3,300 pounds. So the barrier is similar in shape to a mid or full-sized SUV, but it has much less weight than one.

I believe that, say, a more realistic 4,600 pound barrier would cause more damage to a 50% male dummy than a 3,300 pound barrier will to a 5% female dummy.

I suspect that IIHS started the testing with a heavier barrier, saw that it was really demolishing the target vehicles, and literally "pulled their punches" so more vehicles could pass.

Thus, I think that the IIHS can, and has, actually set scoring that is too lenient on auto manufacturers. Insureres and automakers are more in bed together than they are with the consumer, oh well!
  • Options
    All very true. However, the fact that they have pulled punches illustrates my point that the IIHS are after a specific result, rather than scientific testing. In the side impact, they felt the test's credibility was more important than the issue of safety (assuming safety criteria led them to select a 4,600 lbs barrier in the first place).

There are other examples of this. When Chevy introduced the Trailblazer (or one of its clones), it came standard with a hitch receiver. When the IIHS tested it in their bumper bash, they soon discovered that the hitch prevented any damage during the pole test. So they retested it with the pole offset to one side of the hitch... so they could do some damage.

However, when vehicles with spare tires mounted on the rear were tested, the IIHS did not test them with an impact on the pole and without. Even though most have the tire mounted off to one side.

IMO there is a double standard of sorts in the IIHS testing methodology.

Again, I'm not saying I'm happy with the MDX for scoring low :cry: , or that a vehicle which scored high should not be praised :blush: . I just think people should be educated about what it is they are reading. (Not a problem for you, I know.) There are always two reasons for poor performance on a test. And one of them is always "the test is bad". Since I'm not a safety engineer, and not qualified to rate this particular test for it's real world relativity, all I can do is post my concern.
  • Options
    psulionbackerpsulionbacker Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me?
    I have a 2005 MDX Touring with Nav and I subscribed to XM Radio. I'm aware that I can press the Tune button and see all the information about the Song (Channel,Title Artist) on the screen. My problem is that when a title or an Artists name was too big for the radio display it used to "wrap around" so that I could see the end of the title or display. For some reason now it doesn't wrap around so now I only see the 1st part of the title. The full name is not displayed on the nav screen either when I display it up there. I called XM Radio and they said that my service was ok and that it might be a radio issue. They said that the radio we have in our car is a Pioneer radio and they gave me Pioneer's # - I called them but could not get through to their customer service line after 40 minutes...

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I take it to the dealership? Is this a setting that I somehow messed up? Please advise! Thank you.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My 2 cents:

(1) The Armada is a behemoth. And rather ugly, IMO. Unless you need that size, bag the Armada from consideration. And if you do need that much space, bag the other two, and compare the Armada to the Toyota Sequoia and Land Rover LR3. Both of which I would take over the Armada.

(2) We cross shopped the MDX with the GX470, which I thought was based upon the 4Runner. We went with the MDX, being willing to give up some off road capability for what my wife felt was a far better third row set-up and a bit better on-road handling. She also greatly appreciates the standard equipment on the MDX like the bluetooth phone, on-star, XM radio, etc.

Can't comment on the 4Runner, but if the third row is anything like the GX470 (side folding seats, tight legroom), it's really not a three row SUV.

Another vehicle worth considering is the Volvo XC90 V8. Very attractive interior and very good handling. Plus Volvo safety and exceptional seats that will make everything else seem like a park bench or Lazy Boy sofa. I would have gone for it, but the MDX was my wife's first choice (again due primarily to 3rd row utility). I'm not complaining, she prodded me into a 911 Cab this fall, so I'm used to saying "the MDX looks really good, honey". ;)
This discussion has been closed.