Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    unfortunatly, the 4runner does have the wall folding seats :mad: . We tried the sequoia, very underpowerd and the outside's styling is... overdue for an update if you will
  • Options
    bilmatbilmat Member Posts: 53
    The XM radio in my 06 Touring/Nav works exactly like yours is working now (the title will not wrap-around on the radio display nor show the full title on the navi screen). I've only had the MDX for two weeks and didn't notice that only a portion of long song titles were displayed until after I read your message and checked the XM radio in my MDX.

Long titles used to wrap around on the Delphi Roady II portable XM radio I use on my Gold Wing and in my Saturn Vue, but they no longer do. This leads me to believe that whether a long song title will wrap-around or not is dictated by the signal coming down from the satellite, not by anything you or I have any control over.
  • Options
    I mentioned my situation earlier(post 6236). I found an 04 silver mdx with 48,502 miles and a brand new interior in quartz. Its a Touring package w/navigation for sale. The price is $22,992 :D . Trying to go for a test drive today!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can Appraise the MDX here and you can also ask the pros for an opinion over in Real-World Trade-In Values.

The Acura MDX: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion tends to focus on new cars, but there are a few posts now and then reporting on a used buy.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kolecokoleco Member Posts: 1
    What are the OEM tires for MDX 2006?
    I would like to pick my own tires during a purchase.
    Does this complicate the purchase process?
    How should I request it and negotiate it?

I would choose "Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza"
    See: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

From my experience with other cars, OEM tires are not worth having. The difference in a ride and performance between poorly rated tires and highly rated ones is huge while the difference in the price can be small.
  • Options
    bilmatbilmat Member Posts: 53
    I just bought an '06 Touring/Nav and it came with the same brand and model tires that were on the '01 Touring/Nav that I bought back in Nov. of 2000: Michelin Cross Terrains. While they may make the ride a little harsher than standard highway tires, I found that they gave me excellent mileage and performance in the snow. When I decided to replace them on my '01 MDX at around 52,000 miles, I opted for another set. And when I was ready to purchase my '06 Touring/Nav, I was happy to see that Acura was still using the Cross Terrains on their MDX Touring models.

Unless your dealer is a personal friend or is hard pressed to sell you an MDX, I would wager that he will suggest you buy the vehicle, sell the Michelins on eBay or through some other source, then buy the Bridgestones and have them installed. I think it's highly unlikely that he will offer to swap the Michelins for the Stones without charging you an exhorbitant fee. But who knows? Strange things happen in this world.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Not sure where you ended up, but thought I would throw in that one of our friends just took a BATH getting out of a 2004 Armada that they didn't like.

They paid about $40k for a fully loaded leftover 2004 LE4WD in early 2005 and after less than a year and 11,000 miles, decided that it was too big, too much of a gas hog and too uncomfortable to drive in the DC area. They tried to sell it privately - no takers. The best trade in price they were offered was $24.5k. That's about $15k in depreciation, NOT counting the loss on taxes, tags, etc. Which works out to nearly $1.50 per mile.

This incredible depreciation hit was not lost on the husband. He pointed to our 2005 911S Cabriolet and correctly estimated that he could have bought one and saved a considerable amount compared to what it's costing them to undo their mistake.

Their replacement choices came down to a Volvo XC90 or MDX. They went with the MDX.

P.S. If you think the Sequoia is "very underpowered", perhaps you should talk Dad into getting a smaller SUV and 911S on the side. Works for us.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    From my vantage point, Acura would be wise to make all of the features of the RL, including Tech Pkg, available on the next MDX.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd rather see Acura focus a little more on upgrading the performance and handling of the MDX rather than go techno crazy.

I had a chance to drive a friend's BMW X5 recently and a Porsche Cayenne S when my 911 was in for service. Our current 2005 Acura already beats both of those vehicles handily in the do-dads department (standard XM, Bluetooth, Voice Activated & bettter Nav system, etc, etc.). However, the MDX pales by comparison in handling and performance. Those vehicles are a real pleasure to drive, with sharper steering, crisper shifting transmissions (or better yet, a 6-speed manual in the X5 3.0), much better handling on winding roads, more "planted" highway feel, etc. etc.

Mind you, I'm not looking for a sports car. That's why we got a 911. But if Acura applied the same engineering effort that they did to the 2004 TL redo, it could go a long way to making the MDX more than just a techno, gadget enriched version of the Pilot. You'd be hard pressed not to give the current MDX an 8-9 on amenities, but equally hard pressed to give it more than a 5-6 on driving dynamics.
  • Options
    When I say all the features of the RL, I mean ALL of the features, including SH-AWD, better handling, more power, and a quieter ride. The tech stuff can be made available as an option, like on the RL. My guess is that there's a lot larger market for a luxury/performance MDX than there is for the RL.
  • Options
    badsaabbadsaab Member Posts: 12
    Why the MDX over the XC90- any idea. We are down to the two as well and leaning towards volvo because of the MDX being in its last year of the model cycle or the first year of the next (if we held off until fall). We like both for different reasons. The space of the MDX- the drive and looks of the Volvo. Right now I've been quoted 39,500 for a left over V8. Good deal I think.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Some upgrades to the performance of the MDX will be necessary to remain competitive. SH-AWD is pretty much a given. That alone might be enough. A more powerful engine is another (not sure how Honda will handle that).

But I think one of the best features of the MDX is how useful it is in terms of interior space. Passenger space is very good. Although I admire the X5 for its handling, cargo space is not worthy of a mid-size vehicle. The FX35 (another performance-oriented rig) is barely adequate.

I tend to think the MDX should tend toward the luxury and utility side of things. Let the RDX be the sporting SUV in the Acura fleet. It's a smaller, lighter vehicle and should be easier to make go fast and turn corners.
  • Options
    The XC90 is essentially a smaller vehicle. However, that only matters if you need the cargo space.

I think this one would come down to a test drive and your own personal preferences. Both vehicles are safe (edge to Volvo). Both vehicles are semi-sporty. Both vehicles should be reliable (edge to Acura). Go down the line and you'll probably find they match up pretty well with pros and cons in either column.

I think it will be the little things which you personally prefer that make the difference. Maybe you like the stereo controls in one more than the other. Maybe one has a more comfortable seat. Perhaps your preference for the Volvo's styling is enough on its own. That kind of stuff.
  • Options
    somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    I have just driven a MDX (loaner car while my RL is being serviced). I noticed that at nighttime (when the headlights turn on automatically) all the dash lights dim but the navigation LCD still remains bright.

In my RL, the navigation LCD darkens (much less distracting) at night. Does the MDX also do that or does it remain bright?
  • Options
    exlexexlex Member Posts: 3
    I can't seem to find any info relating to adjusting the roof rack on my 05 MDX. Nothing in the owner manual. Can anyone help? I kept my Thule overhead carrier from my Sequoia and need to expand the brackets on the MDX so as to not create a vibration in the carrier. Also, is there a way to brighten the NAV screen during daytime when my lights are on? There is an automatic dim feature that causes the Nav to fade out when daylight is still present. I'm not complaining, I love the MDX. Thanks!
  • Options
    Easy question first.

The Nav system brightness is adjustable between day and night. Go to the set-up screen and it should give you a menu with the options of "day" "night" or "automatic". We usually have ours on "automatic" which means the Nav display dims whenever the lights are turned on. If you set it on "day", it will remain bright at all times, on "night" it will remain dim at all times.

Unfortunately, in our 2005 MDX, you have to go through the steps of entering that set-up screen and changing it. On our 2004 TL, there is a button below the speedometer dial that adjusts brightness with a single push without having to go through the Nav set up screen.

On the MDX you can use voice activation to do all of this as well.
  • Options
    Sorry, I missed your "all features" of the RL comment, not just Tech package.

However, I am not a big fan of the RL in the handling/performance department. I had one as a loaner when my TL 6-speed was in for service. After 2 days and 250 miles, I was happy to get the TL back. Granted, I stongly prefer a manual transmission, but the overweight RL did not handle Roack Creek Parkway in DC with nearly the nimbleness of my 500+ pound lighter (but nearly equally sized) TL. And the 2004 TL is no lightweight. Braking in the TL was better (Brembo on 6-speed) and the acceleration with the 6-speed TL was way above the RL.

I realize that the MDX, as a larger 7-passenger SUV, is never going to drive like a smaller Cayenne or X5. But I still think Acura should try to separate the future MDX from the Pilot in this area. The RL would not be my choice for comparison, since I would readily take a 530i or 550i over the RL, should a tree fall on my TL. But I think we are probably saying the same thing overall.
  • Options
    If you can comfortably fit in the XC90 V8, I think you should seriously consider it over the current MDX. Don't get me wrong, I could not pry my 100 pound wifes hands off the wheel of our MDX, but she really uses the third row a fair amount hauling our kids friends around. And the second row width advantage of 2-3" is a pretty significant difference in fitting three across.

But the Volvo is a very nice vehicle. Safe as they come. V8 drives great. Maintenance covered for 3-4 years. Seats that Acura should steal. If that same tree that falls on our TL and forces me to get a 550i 6-speed would also land on our MDX, the XC90 V8 would definitely be on our shopping list.
  • Options
    bikerkingbikerking Member Posts: 2
    I am in serch of the replacement of my 2001 MDX.
    Even thou 06 is the last year for MDX before all new 2007 model, I was thinking I might take a advantage of good factory lease offer, so here I was in Acura dealership.
    Checking closely the rear lights, they are just so untasteful to me, they looks more like cheesy after-market replacements that reminds me Honda civic that converted by 18 yr old boys.
    So I went to a Honda dealer to check out Pilot.
    Come on Honda/Acura....
    Pilots do not have amber turn signal, just all reds, on top of that too much shiny chrome in the rear light housing- looks childish.Thou I like the new front a lot.
    I wish 2007 MDX come out with solid ,simple and practical design in rear lights and in every other aspect of the design matters.
    I may go check out the XC90 or should I wait a yr for 2007 MDX....
  • Options
    "Checking closely the rear lights, they are just so untasteful to me, they looks more like cheesy after-market replacements that reminds me Honda civic that converted by 18 yr old boys."

There are a lot of good practical reasons to cross shop the MDX and XC90, but with all due respect, I don't think taillight design should be that high on your priority list. It's not like there is that much of a difference between the 2001 and 2005/6 MDX
  • Options
    flevyflevy Member Posts: 18
    My lease on my 2002 mdx expires in October and I have started to get solicitations from dealers for new vehicles. I understand that the 2007 mdx will be a new model, but I have not seen anything about the changes which will be new in that model. I tried scrolling through the various forums, but did not see anything specific on this topic. Does anyone have information on the planned changes?
  • Options
  • Options
    There is nothing official, yet.

You can be 90% certain Acura will give it SH-AWD and a more premium stereo (either ELS or the upgraded Bose they put in the RL). These are things which Acura has done consistently with their recent releases.

With the addition of HID lights to the RDX, you can probably bet on those for the MDX, as well.

It will use the new ACE body structure for improved safety.

It will cost a good deal more.

However, none of this has been confirmed. It's just stuff that makes sense given the direction they've been taking.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    And a fear that some speculators have is that the next MDX will be bigger. Especially with the new RDX being positioned as the smaller SUV of the lineup (gives the MDX room to move up, since the RDX won't be THAT small). Some folks don't want a bigger MDX. Though some who want better third row seating or more cargo area would welcome that change.

But, this is purely speculation. As most know, Honda/Acura is notorious on not releasing information until the introduction is very close (and sometimes not even then!).

I will bet that the next MDX will be a big seller. :)
  • Options
    "It will cost a good deal more."

I doubt it. I am sure it will have a somewhat higher MSRP and early discounts might be hard to come by, but, as best I can tell, the SUV market has taken a bit of a hit. And oil is back pushing $70 a barrel.

Back when we were shopping a year ago, the new XC90 V8 was selling for near MSRP and fully loaded ones were at $50k+. Now you can get one in the DC area for about $40-43k. Similar drops with the Lexus GX470 and LR3.

My hunch is that the new MDX will carry about a $2k-$3k increase over the outgoing one. And even that's more of an increase than the 2004 TL was over the 2003 TLS. And those changes/upgrades/improvements were pretty dramatic.

Lastly, IMO, unless Acura completely separates the MDX from the Pilot and goes all out (ie. completely different platform, engine, drivetrain), I do not think a premium of over $8-10k over the Pilot is realistic, even with all of those RL goodies. I don't see a redesigned Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Nav or equivalent going for more than $34k.
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Would it be safe for me to assume that If the MDX is redesigned for the MY2007 that the Pilot will be redesigned for MY2008?
  • Options
    practicalpractical Member Posts: 53
    I've been a loyal Honda fan, but things might get changed.

First of all, Honda/Acura seems very conservative. Take the Legend to RL transition story, does the alpha-numeric naming scheme play a big role here?

I'm now looking for a SUV and a AWD sedan. MDX is one of my choice for all its capabilities, but my faith is fading out as it's still a Halogen, no HID. As more and more non-luxury cars equipped w/ HID, I don't understand why can't they just offer it on MDX.

Pilot is nice but missing two things:
    - HID
    - amber rear turning signal

I'm very impressed by Nissan's approach, you can get HID on a Maxima even years ago.

There are more cars use red for rear turning, very dangerous! We need AMBER, YELLOW!

One excuse of using V6 3.5 on almost all Honda/Acura cars is, the fuel efficiency. Come on Honda, look at the newest 2007 Lexus L model, they get almost 30, why? A higher grade transmission, 8-speed.

And for a AWD sedan, what do Honda and Acura offer? Only ONE model. I'd take Infinity M35x, even Lexus IS 250 AWD, over the stupid pricy RL.
  • Options
    I agree with a few of your points. As in Acura is a bit too conservative. I've posted my opinion that the RL should be a notch or three up on performance and not be just another ho-hum competitor in the boring to drive luxury sedan segment.

However, I disagree with a few points: Xenon lights would be nice, but should not be a deal killer on the MDX. It's halogen lights are very good as far as halogen lights go, considerably better than our previous Isuzu Trooper. By the way, the Maxima's HID lights suck compared to the xenons on TL, 911 or former S2000. Not all HID lights are created equal and the Maxima's are on the bottom rung of that ladder.

Given that I like to "drive" my higher grade transmission suggestion isn't a 7-8-9-10 speed automatic. It's a short throw crisp 6-speed manual like Acura (finally) put in the TL. I get 28-30+ mpg at 70-75 mph on the highway, and actually have a car that is fun to drive, rather than a cure for insomnia, as is the Lexus LS. My RL target would be the BMW 550i 6-speed.

Sorry, even though I was born and raised in snow country, I think the RL is one too many standard AWD sedans for Acura. I have no objection to Honda/Acura offering AWD as an option on the RL and even TL or Accord. But the RL is a 4,000 lb non-super handling sedan. And even the best in class handling 530i suffers when you throw an extra 300+ lbs into it's chassis and drive train and turn it into a 530ix.

If you live in serious snow country, an AWD sedan is not an SUV replacement, period. If you don't live in serious snow country, an AWD sedan costs you a lot of extra gas, maintenance and potential repairs over the life of the car. And if you like the feel of a nimble handling car, AWD is a significant weight detriment. A good set of snow tires on a RWD 550i will outperform the RL with it's stock tires. Especially if the driver knows what they are doing.
  • Options
    transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    I own a 2001 Acura MDX Touring/Nav, and it's been great and very reliable. However, what I want now is: a Diesel engine for economy and torque, a real four-wheel drive system (like the Jeep Grand Cherokee's Quadra Drive II), skid plates, and something like the Delphi Dynamic Handling System so that the MDX will be able to corner like a sports car. I'm not holding my breath. If Acura keeps the gasoline V6 and substitutes the SH-AWD for the VTM-4, I'm outta here. Heck, they couldn't even put a V8 in the RL.
  • Options
    dygandygan Member Posts: 3
    On KBB, if you input 2 MDX with evreything the same except year. 2005 ends up cheaper than 2004. Is this a KBB problem, or 2005 MDX has some problem?
  • Options
    gulabanigulabani Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question too if the MDX is changing is it to be assumed that the PILOT is also changing. I am planning to buy a PILOT in the middle east where it is called the MRV. Hence, if the model changes I would rather have the newer model than the older one.
  • Options
    The Pilot will likely get a full model change one year after the MDX.
  • Options
    Would it be safe to assume that the next Mdx will offer a 2wd model with cylinder deactivation as in pilot/odyssey? Is any1 else hoping honda would make a 4.0l v6 with 321hp :D? Apparently no honda since the nsx has somewhat gotten over 300hp. I know a little off topic but you lucky canadians, is the csx worth the money?
  • Options
    texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I have a 2004 MDX and it pulls to the right. As far as I know, it has done that since I bought it. I asked my dealership rep about that and he said it is supposed to do that. All my previous cars were supposed to drive straight. I checked to see if there is wheel wear due to bad alignment but didn't notice any.

Last night on an open road I would just let the steering wheel go and let the car drift. I would be completely in another lane in 8 seconds. What's a little disturbing is the turn increases with time. Another words, it starts out as a slight drift and increases the turn as you let it drift.

Does anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    Not sure how to correct it (alignment perhaps), but the vehicle should not drift to the right.

Just to clarify, does the vehicle PULL to the right (even with your hands on the wheel), or does it simply drift to the right? I ask because CR-Vers have had troubles with the vehicle pulling to the right. This was fixed by turning a seat/mounting plate for the suspension.
  • Options
    texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I have to correct for the pull while I'm driving. If I let the steering wheel go I begin to drift. The puzzling thing is if it were the alignment I would probably notice some wheel where on the right side. I have a 15K mile check up due soon and will address it then again. I just wanted to know if anyone else is noticing this.
  • Options
    transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    According to Edmunds.com (itself), the new MDX will be in 2008, not 2007. It will be more "luxurious" but will still have a V-6 engine. C'mon, how about a Diesel hybrid with skid plates and a dynamic handling system? But if Acura couldn't put a V-8 in the RL, why would I imagine they would do something bold for the second-generation MDX?
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    We'll see whether that article is right. Prognostication is always difficult.

One early indication of a 2007 model year launch was from www.hondacuraworld.com (they sell discounted accessories and are very good). Tim revealed that he got the list of 2007 accessories and they are all different.

Pure speculation, but I'd guess that the next-gen MDX won't have a diesel hybrid and JGC-competitive AWD system. More likely, there may be an gasoline/electric hybrid version eventually available (since Honda is producing these) and the SH-AWD system from the RL (since Honda is already producing these).
  • Options
    There is no v8 rl because... :( because :cry: ... Honda should make a v8. Or do like vw and put 2 4 cylinders together or make a v12 with 2 v6 to make a w12. Hopefully like the rl and rdx, the mdx will use sh-awd or as i mentioned before 2wd with the cylinder deactivation. o, the real time traffic reports would be nice too :blush:
  • Options
    A prototype MDX is supposed to be shown at the New York Auto show. So, we should have something to gawk at in a few weeks.
  • Options
    ralston1ralston1 Member Posts: 28
    I can confirm that the MDX proto will be in NY for the show. I'll have pics posted as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Another blurb:

Acura to show MDX concept at NY (Straightline Blog)

If it's really an '08 being shown, you can let Bob know over in the comments section of the blog. :P

Steve, Host
  • Options
    dougjdougj Member Posts: 4
    Can't determine from the Acura Website if the 2006 MDX Audio system will play MP3 or WMA files. I see the new RDX pictures show its audio will do that. Will the 2006 MDX audio system play MP3's or WMA's?
  • Options
    toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    Acura today announced plans to debut a concept version of the all-new MDX luxury sport-utility vehicle, April 12, at the New York International Auto Show and released an artist's rendering of the new vehicle. Scheduled to debut later this year, the 2007 Acura MDX will be the second generation of Acura's luxury SUV to be designed, developed and manufactured exclusively in North America.

"The 2007 MDX will speak clearly to the advanced image of Acura and promises to put MDX solidly at the front of the pack with a striking new image, new technology and performance unmatched in the segment," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The designers and engineers working on this new MDX have a tremendous passion for this product that will be evident in all aspects of its design and performance."

The press release also referred to an artist's rendering which I have not found but would like to see. This is really good news.
  • Options
    The 2007 MDX should be some vehicle if it even remotely lives up to those claims!
  • Options
    karend1karend1 Member Posts: 4
    What does everyone think the news of the 2007 MDX debut will do to the 2006 price point. Presently, I am hearing a bit below invoice. Should we expect it to get much lower?
  • Options
    If people are turned off by the styling of the "concept" MDX, as I am, perhaps the value of 2006 models will go up!
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    If you are sure the alignment is good...Try rotating the tires right/left. You could simply have a radial pull. A good tire shop should be able to solve the problem you are having. Perhaps try flip/flopping the fronts and see how it does, then try the rears. If the problem is tire pull, rotating them right to left will fix it instantly. Even older tires could have this effect after a rotation front to rear.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    The sketch from Acura is here.
  • Options
    Golly, that's a big grille. Reminds me of an Escalade.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good. If they tone down the grill, it should be quite a looker. You just have to use a little imagination to tone down the details of the sketch. There's quite a bit of the same design language as used in the concept drawings of the RDX. Similarity with other models from the line is a good way to build the brand image. These two pics do a good job of illustrating what I mean about the similarities.

MDX

RDX
This discussion has been closed.