Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• ucsdtritonucsdtriton Member Posts: 9
    always49 (THUD): I've found someone else at acuramdx.org that had the same THUD from the front, and his dealer said they simply retorqued the loose bushings in the lower control arm, so maybe it may not be necessary to lubricate the bushings. My service dept., in addition to taking apart and retorquing everything, added a little insurance with the lubrication. Looking forward to find out what your dealer's service concludes.

azell1 (Portland Dealers): I am a little alarmed by your comments about dealer practices in Portland, OR. I'm in San Diego, and my dealer initially told me there'd be a wait of 3 to 4 months, but I ended up waiting only 6 weeks for Black on Black with Tour. and Navi. Also, I only put in a $500 deposit that was completely refundable if I had changed my mind (NOT:). As for service, my dealer's service department (Cush Acura) has been first rate so far, always courteous (better be) and for warranty work, I have always been given a free rental car while it was being worked on (if you haven't read my earlier posts, I'm one of the MDX owners who have encountered a couple first model year glitches, but still LOVE the MDX!)

tonychrys (RX300): I was kind of wondering which Ford SUV you were referring too... Anyways, still an Excellent choice with your RX, it was one of the top choices for me as well! But, with a large extended family, those two extra seats in the back of my MDX come in handy when relatives, and friends, drop by, it's nice to take just one car with everyone in and talking and having a good time. Just one of the key points that flipped my decision to the MDX.

dbastian2 (acuramdx.org): thanks for the link, good site, nice to know we are not the only ones with issues, I'll probably be keeping up with that site as well.

Talk to you all later! :)
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I agree on the MDX vs. RX choice, if you need the extra room the MDX is the way to go.

Ford and GM are both redesigning their "mid-Size" SUVs for 2002MY. The recent Blazer based models are reliabilty disasters and the Explorers are... well, you all know the story on that one ;-)

I think we both made wise choices with our respective vehicles.

Happy Motoring!

TC
  • azell1azell1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your recommendation. Actually, I did eventually get one test drive. I came back 2 weeks later and asked to drive it one more time. The salesman pressured me by telling me that he had 2 demos now, but they were being bid on at that moment and he couldn't let me drive either of them until one was chosen. I had a friend with me who's opinion I value, and I asked if we could at least look inside one. He said sure, and went on to say that I could drive it if I wanted to outbid the customer inside and one who was apparently bidding over the phone for the other demo. Then he began pressuring that I really needed to put down that $1000 non ref deposit if I really wanted one..that they were now 4 months out. He was very arrogant and I said I wasn't interested right now and left. If anything, I guess I feel like complaining to Acura. Having dealt with alot of different dealers over the years, this is the first one that's treated me this way. I'm a serious buyer and not a tire kicker, but I felt I should be able to test drive it one more time before I spend $40,000 plus! The other dealership has no demo at all, but offers a refundable deposit option. Unfortunately, they are kind of a sleazy operation. I can wait until the hype wears off a bit.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    There have been numerous posts regarding displeasure with dealer sales tactics. Many have complained about "unfair" markups, non-refundable deposits, bait-and-switch, forced unwanted accessories, refusal to allow test drives, etc, etc. Often the customer has walked refusing to buy. Yet on many more than one occasion the writer said they will simply wait until the rush/hype ends and demand for the MDX drops! That does nothing to solve the problems of the complainers. If one wants to protest such sales tactics and perhaps prevent them in the future then:
    1) Walk from that dealer and tell them why.
    2) Order an MDX from another dealer and mail a copy of purchase order to the offending dealer.
    3) Notify Acura National customer service about the above actions.
    4) Tell everyone you know (including BBB) about the offending dealer.
    5) Rate the dealers in www.acuramdx.org
    6) Most importantly drive the vehicle to the offending dealer once rec'd to rub it in.

This process is recommended to those to wish to wait until the hype/rush dies down because this way may take a little longer to receive your MDX.

For those who go ahead and buy w/o test driving, purchase inflated unwanted accessories, etc, etc, please do not complain about your situation and criticize the dealer.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Acura dealer "experience" is inconsistent, as opposed to a Lexus or MB experience in my opinion.

I tried to contact several Acura dealers and got various responses whether in person, email, or phone:

* "Hey, we've got a X month waiting list" Then one minute later I hear, "BUT, I have this black Nav model sitting here that can be had for the right price."

* Then there is the outrageous accessory markup that I witnessed first hand. A MSRP touring model that ended up costing around $42K!

* Many dealerships that sent out "form letters" and never responded directly to my inquiries. Then they called back a few weeks later, "So you ready to buy an MDX?" When I said that I made another choice since I never heard from them, they become arrogant.

Now don't get me wrong, there were was a Acura dealer who was rather pleasant, and even though he had no stock, allowed me to test drive and take my time.

Every Lexus and MB dealer I visited tried to work with me. Even the MB dealer tried to configure the car so that it was closer to my price range.

I'm sure there are lousy MB/Lexus dealers out there. But in terms of good/bad ratio, I'd say it is 60/40 Lexus and MB, and 40/60 Acura from my experience in the NY/NJ area.

Again, this is just my experience, my opinion. Your milage may vary.

TC
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Our first experience at an accura dealer had us walking out the door. One of the rudest, presumpuous, salesman I've run into. I complained twice to dealer management via e-mail and once to accura. No response was made by either. We gave up on the vehicle and the happened into another dealership. Totally opposite experience and 2 weeks later he had a downpayment in his hand.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Hope this helps ... this is my take ...

1) Resale value is hard to know for sure given the newness of the Subaru VDC MDX and X5. However, historically, the X5 should do very well (though its relatively high acquisition price defeats some of that resale value benefit, depending on your pattern of investments). The MDX should do well, probably a small notch below. It's hard to gauge the Subaru. Traditionally, vehicles with tuned-up options don't do as well because they're often lumped into the base class. The QX4 has pretty weak sales, isn't greatly differentiated from the Pathfinder, so in theory it may not fare well.

2) The MDX has not been crash-tested yet. Acura expects a 5-star NHTSA rating and a "Good" IIHS rating (the highest score IIHS gives). Given this confidence and the fact that the Odyssey, on which the MDX is based on, gets those scores, it's a pretty good bet.

Check www.iihs.org for their test results on the X5; they were spectacular, best I've seen so far. IIHS did not crash-test an Outback, just a Legacy, but it also did very well. However, please note that IIHS cautions about comparing results from one class of vehicle to another. The Outback, being a smaller, lighter, and lower vehicle, probably wouldn't do as well as a comparably scored SUV.

Unfortunately, the QX4 did not fare well in the IIHS test, earning an overall "marginal" score (two steps below good, one step below poor).

IIHS tests are usually considered more real-world than the NHTSA tests so I weigh them more, though I also look at the NHTSA tests at www.nhtsa.gov.

3) Value is highly subjective, and really based on your priorities. For us, we thought the MDX was a great value because of the content, safety, expectation of average or above average reliability. We didn't think the H6 VDC was as good a value when we could buy a 4-cylinder Legacy for only $200 above invoice.

I think the X5 is a total blast; I finally got a chance to drive one the other day, and it is a very rewarding vehicle for people who like to drive. It is, of course, expensive, and trades off passenger and cargo room.

We ruled out the QX4 in value very early because of the concerns about safety (primarily), and also because the vehicle is fairly cramped for us and, frankly, out-of-date.

4) Longevity - always hard to say. The QX4 could be great at this, and probably the Subaru too. The MDX will probably also be a pretty long-lived vehicle, but please keep in mind that it wasn't designed for anything but light off-roading. If those tree roots are several inches high, you might scrape some of the MDX's unprotected undercarriage.

Dunno about the BMW. I've heard reports of early problems but am not sure where that's at now. If it's like traditional German vehicles, it could last a very long time. But it's a U.S. manufacture.

=======================

The bottom line is that I think these are all pretty good vehicles, each with pros and cons. If you think the room in the Subaru is enough for two large dogs, then it should be workable. Also, you might want to ask ms_joanne on one of the BMW X5 message boards here, as I believe she travels with a dog(s) in her beautiful new X5.

I think the MDX could meet your requirements very well (again, as long as you don't push moderate to difficult offroading on it).

Finally, I strongly recommend that you add the MB ML320 as an alternative to consider. It has more than enough off-road capability for the situations you described, should have room for your dogs, should be long-lived, and has done well in crash tests. While the first couple of model years were extremely problematic as far as quality goes, their quality seems to have improved recently so that it's probably "average" (the last statistical bent, from JD Power, is very, very close to average, just slightly below). Aside from the most recent JD Power survey (taken from owners), this conclusion is based mostly on comments from ML owners so take it for what it's worth.

Another vehicle you might consider is the Toyota Sequoia, unless it's too big for your comfort. It should be very long-lived, should have very good resale value, and won't have a problem with the offroading scenarios you described. It should also do well in crash tests.
  • presearcherpresearcher Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks--I am still waiting for my MDX, scheduled to arrive in Feb/March. This will be my first SUV. How's the MDX doing in the snow and on the ice?
    Just scroll back several messages, and you'll find two that seem to indicate the MDX is doing just fine.
  • hloadhload Member Posts: 27
    To: kenyee

When I want to go fast I ride my sport bike

When I want to haul stuff and go offroad I use my 4X4 truck

When I haul the family and dog I do in in my MPV

Hybrid/SUV's give the driving stupid an imaginary sense of improved driving skills. But they do look pretty in a snowy ditch!
  • gurzagurza Member Posts: 5
    Just installed a cargo cover behind the 2nd row seats...has anyone noticed that there's a gap of several inches between the back of the 2nd row seats and the start of the cargo cover? It doesn't fit flush against the back of the 2nd row seats. Just wondering if that's the way it's supposed to be.
  • mdx1mdx1 Member Posts: 63
    I have both the separation net and cargo cover installed. The separation net is right in the middle of the gap. With the 2nd row seat reclined back, the gap will be smaller.
    mdx1:

Thanks, that explains it.
    Yep, the game is there by design. I guess they wanted to allow for some recline of the second row, as well as placement of any separation net as mdx1 described.

Fortunately, it acts well as a security cover, it's pretty difficult to see valuables through the gap, especially since it should be quite dark underneath.

I also find that leaving the cover closed most of the time may help eliminate any unwanted noise. When the cover is retracted, sometimes driving over a rougher road will cause the metal at the edge to bounce around against the housing.
    Here's another accessory question....

How difficult is it to remove the original shift knob so that I can replace it with the wood version?

I know this has been discussed earlier, but I can't locate the specific posts.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    hload:
    Try picturing this: you live in the city where even parking one car is a PITA; you live in a snowy area like the Northeast where snow is a way of life in the winter; you occasionally have to give family members a ride and haul gear around.
    So what would you get? And no, you can't put each one of your cars in storage until you need it :-)
  • mbtech8mbtech8 Member Posts: 4
    has anyone added door molding, and if so,
    1) where did you get it?
    2) where did you place it?
    3) please post a picture of it?
    Thanks, Mike b
  • mykojimmykojim Member Posts: 9
    Just put one on this weekend. All you have to do is unscrew the original knob, and screw on the wood knob. I also installed the wood meter panel. Follow the instructions and you can not go wrong, very simple job. Bought both from A&Hmotorsport.com If you want to go completely "APE" with wood trim, check out wooddash.com. They have an 18 piece kit for $225.00, or you can special order individual pieces that you like.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Check out www.acuramdx.org for some posts regarding adding door moldings to an MDX.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Mannnn. In two years this vehicle will be like the 3.2 TL. Available for $2-3k discount--sooner if the economy goes south. Anyhow, good luck with this exercise.
    INKY
  • wsharpe497wsharpe497 Member Posts: 2
    I have an Emerald Green MDX on order with a due in date of 1 Feb 01. I live in August, GA and can not say enough about the professionalism of the local ACURA dealership. The salesmen know the vehicles like the back of their hand and treat people with politeness you don't often see at other car dealers... just had to say this based on others negative experiences.
    This green color is like a POLO green, which to say is a dark green. A friend of mine has a black MDX with saddle and it is nice BUT I saw an Emerald Green with saddle interior and that was it for me... it is beautiful. The Mahogany colored one is also nice. A tan outside body stripe on the Emerald Green one is great as it draws out the saddle interior.

I have researched ALL of the SUVs and the MDX won me over. I almost bought a 2001 GMC Denali but the huge size of it was too overwhelming when I drove it... also, it IS a gas guzzler...BIG TIME. I could have bought it for $500 over invoice.
    Although I am paying/leasing at full MSRP for a Touring model, I think the MDX is worth every penny. The dealer took my trade in and gave me a new 3.2 TL to drive until my MDX arrives...they didn't want me to continue to put miles on my current car. If I did not need a SUV I would buy the darn TL...I have been driving it for over 10 days and it is a joy to drive...my wife has a 2000 Cadillac DTS and I think the TL will run with it...and, it has almost all of the toys the Caddy has. In fact, my wife will look at the RL 2-3 years from now based on what she has seen in the ACURA. We have never owned a foreign car, but we will now. I can't explain it but I think the ACURA is a fantastic car company who makes quality cars...hope the MDX lives up to what I have seen and read and experienced so far.

Go with the Emerald Green.

Happy in Georgia...
  • rgrosergrose Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone remember the message nbr. of the pro's and con's of the different oil filters/ If so please post the Nbr. Thanks
  • jpc11jpc11 Member Posts: 1
    I live in So. Calif and would like to buy a MDX in either silver or granite with the touring package but no navigational system. I don't mind waiting but am unwilling to pay more than msrp. I am ready to write a check today but my local dealer is asking $5,000 over sticker.
    Good for him if he can get it but he won't from me. Any suggestions on how to find one quickly at sticker.... Thanks.
  • hloadhload Member Posts: 27
    kenyee,

OK, I see your point - thats why I live in the Pacific Northwest. So I don't have to paakk the caaaawww in the yaaaadddd.

You can return to your normal ramblings at this time.
  • bilmatbilmat Member Posts: 53
    A few of us have posted on www.acuramdx.org a problem with the driver's side mirror assembly holding water after driving in the rain or taking the MDX through a car wash. After cleaning and drying my GG MDX as completely as possible, a water streak appears the following day down the side of the front of the driver's door. I've taken a can of compressed air in an attempt to blow any residual water out from behind the housing, yet I still wind up with a water streak the following day. And this sometimes goes on for 2 to 3 days. Has anyone in addition to the three of us who commented on the water streaks on the other board experienced this problem?
  • darrelhdarrelh Member Posts: 3
    Jim, I work for an Acura dealer in the Los Angeles area and can get you a MDX touring at MSRP. I see from your post that you want a GG or silver touring model without navigation, which stickers at $37,450, including destination. If you are still looking for a MDX, email me at heisnuts@aol.com
  • always49always49 Member Posts: 29
    I sent my MDX to the dealer this morning, reporduced the THUD, and got a call from them in the afternoon and heard that the problem is fixed. Here is the information:

Cause:
    Engine mount fire wallside bolts
    Front bushings and stabilizer bar

Done:
    Tightened up 3 bolts

I test drove it, so far so good. This issue seems to be a very simple one for them. So I can't say more about it. If any of you wants more info, let me know. BTW, the service at Stevens Creek is excellent. The service consultant is Preston Noe. I will have all my service there, definitely I love my MDX.
  • dbrennendbrennen Member Posts: 2
    Is it required or just recommended? If only recommended, any bad experiences using less than premium.
    I sent my MDX to the dealer this morning, reporduced the THUD, and got a call from them in the afternoon and heard that the problem is fixed. Here is the information:

Cause:
    Engine mount fire wallside bolts
    Front bushings and stabilizer bar

Done:
    Tightened up 3 bolts

I test drove it, so far so good. This issue seems to be a very simple one for them. So I can't say more about it. If any of you wants more info, let me know. BTW, the service at Stevens Creek is excellent. The service consultant is Preston Noe. I will have all my service there, definitely I love my MDX.
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Acura recommends premium gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher; if your choice is between 89 or 93 (as it is for most of us), then use 93. Premium is needed because the compression ratio is 10:1. In a pinch you can use lower octane, such as 89, which will retard the ignition timing. But you will lose power and fuel economy. If you keep using 89 or 87 you may cause additional wear and tear of the engine; it's not worth the few pennies/gal savings.

Transpower
    This has been debated many times here before. The manual says to use a higher octane gas. One side of the argument says that the engine will automatically adjust and may just suffer lower performance (less MPG and/or less HP). The other side of the argument says it could eventually harm the engine, isn't worth it because it may cut MPG and thus burn more of the cheaper gas anyway, and/or why quibble over $0.20 x however many gallon one burns a year on a $35k-$40k vehicle.

Bottom line is that people see it both ways, and I think some people are trying it, others won't. I think for the folks who are trying it, some don't notice a difference, some do (wonder how much of it is psychological). Long-term effects won't be known for a while, obviously.

Please check www.acuramdx.org for a discussion on this:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=341

(It references a discussion on this Edmunds forum earlier; unfortunately, the Edmunds software isn't conducive to finding that info easily again, whereas the www.acuramdx.org software does quite nicely.)

Good luck!

Thanks for the input on the fix to your thud. Did the dealership make any comments why the bolts needed tightening? Did they make any comments about seeing this problem on other MDX's?

I just find it a bit disconcerting that between your "engine mount fire wallside bolts" and the "front bushings and stabilizer bar," they needed to tighten three bolts. I doubt if you've beat the crap out of your new MDX enough to loosen them. Perhaps this is another example of the Canadian's plant's problems, and let's hope it's not widespread.

This solution is consistent with two other reports on fixes on www.acuramdx.org; in one case, some bolts were tightened, in another case (originally posted here by ucsdtriton), similar components were opened up, lubed, and then retorqued. See:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=333

Glad your service department found the problem and has made you happy.
    Not that I'm suggesting that the quality of Edmunds Townhall is bad, but the above site has grown significantly since I last posted about it, and has thus improved. Still has a rough spot here and there, but with more MDX owners on it, there are a lot of experiences being shared.

And, frankly, the software is easier to use for most purposes than the WebX software here on Townhall. The major asset is that it can archive individual threads on a particular subject, e.g. on a specific accessory, or a specific problem like "the thud."

And less you think you'll miss the enlightening information from Drew (and Ken), they visit too! ;-)
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Yes! We also get a hard water streak down the side of the door from the side mirror. It shows up hours or possibly a day after washing and thoroughly drying our MDX. I sometimes see one develop on the passenger door as well as the driver's door. I don't know what to do about this other than to wipe it off with a soft damp cloth?
    jpc11:

If you are not happy with the dealers in southern California, or the wait is too long, the Acura dealer in Tucson has new MDXs arriving in March that may still be available. I have an email from them at work (not here with me at home) that lists available MDXs in March, and I thought they listed a silver touring model as being available then.

We bought our MDX from them even though we live over 100 miles away. They charged MSRP, and only included accessories that I specifically wanted, at fair prices.

Since the MDX meets 50-state emissions, this is an option you might consider as a backup plan. Place a follow-up post if you want more info.
    For anyone interested in more discussions and information on the 87 vs 91 octane debate, go see the Toyota Highlander forum. Check some of the posts from between 5 and 12 days ago.
    I've also experienced the water streaks from the driver's side mirror. Very frustrating...especially because my MDX is black so it really shows. The drip reappears even a day or more after washing.
  • mdxinfomdxinfo Member Posts: 9
    This is a response to #1176 (WSHARPE497)...
    Thanks for your input/impressions of Acura's Dark Emerald Green on the MDX. I have still not seen the color on an MDX except for photos in Car & Driver and the brochure (not a good rendition). I have an option on this color and expect it to arrive in the next 2 weeks. Not having seen the color I'm a bit anxious...hope I like it as well as Mahogany or Granite Green...because I don't want to have to wait another couple months for a Mahogany version.
    You apparently didn't find the color to be too dark. How did it compare with your friend's Black/Saddle version? Pinstipping sounds like a good option/feature...did the one you saw have any other addons (fender flairs and/or runningboards)? Thanks again for you post!
  • quadguy1quadguy1 Member Posts: 9
    I am taking delivery on a Mahogany MDX today (ordered it about 2 weeks ago; was
    able to get to take one that someone else had backed out of, MDX + navigation, no
    options, MSRP no hassle, Clair Acura in MA).

The reason I needed to buy a new car is that someone rear-ended my wife in our
    1991 Honda Accord. The insurance company is sending that one to the glue farm
    (even though it has only 65K miles on it and drives perfectly if you ignore the fact that
    the trunk and right rear quarter panel are bent to h*ll).

OK, here's the question: On my '91 Accord, the roof looks terrible, because the clearcoat
    has started to peel off. Same thing has happened on an old Civic my dad has in California.
    The car has lived its life ungaraged, as will my MDX. My question: Has Honda/Acura
    fixed this problem, or should I expect, several years down the line, the Clearcoat on my
    MDX to start to peel...?
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Not sure if this is a duplicate posting, but it's damn cool:

video thru the NAVI

Just saw this at the acuramdx.org site for a decoder which will allow DVD, video, TV, etc to play on the Honda Navi screen. Check it out.

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000288.html

• weinheimerweinheimer Member Posts: 6
    So far we've heard about the solutions for the various thuds, and seat rattles. Just wondered if we've heard anymore about the "ticking" up by the glove box? (Think I may have that...) Anyone else having trouble with buttons 4 and 5 on CD player? (This developed at about 2 months after purchase.) When I go in for the 3K oil change suggested, I will have the "3 bolts tightened", the "arm brushings re-torqued" and lubed.... also, the glove box glides lubed. I will try to get another cargo cover, mine kind of doesn't lay just right. Anyone have a ballpark on what installation would cost for the rear tailgate deflector? If I order through "Tim" ... is this something a dealership would install?????
    Thanks so much. This board is great .... and so is my MDX.
  • weinheimerweinheimer Member Posts: 6
    Also, to "sailing216" ... is this decoder something that could be used for MDX? (Hate to sound dense ... but it's a Honda website). ANy further information would be VERY welcome! Thanks!
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Postings say it's been done in a Acura TL. No mention of an MDX--Yet. Obviously with something like this, research is the best way to go.
  • exindenverexindenver Member Posts: 32
    The guy selling (and making) this decoder indicates that he includes wiring instructions for 1999 and 2000/2001 Acura & Honda navigation display units. He is sold out right now but you can get on a waiting list. Sounds like it's really cool but can passengers in the 2nd and 3rd row see the NAVi screen? Maybe hook up a camera to it and see out the back for tight parking spots.
  • ucsdtritonucsdtriton Member Posts: 9
    Glad to see you're up and running without the THUD! I'm jealous you got your's fixed so quick:) Oh well, that's what I get for bringing it to the dealer so fast, should've waited for someone else to go first;)

But, when I bring it in for my first oil change, I'll ask about the engine mount firewall bolts. I would think mine are OK, considering I don't hear/feel the THUD anymore and it's been a week!

Which raises the question, when is everyone else going to get their first oil change? The owner's manual suggests for "severe" conditions, every 3,750 miles and "normal", every 7,500 miles. This goes against the age old tradition of changing it every 3,000, and what the dealer suggested, first oil change at 5,000 because there's "special break-in oil". I think he's misguided and will bring it in at 3,750 just to be on the safe side, particularly since I've been driving the BABY pretty hard (partly to reproduce the THUD). Besides, with the glitches I've had, I've managed to be given two free oil changes (which also includes free car washes!)

HAPPY MOTORING ALL!
    That's due to your dealer's diagnosis which made my visit of the service so quick. I printed out your comments and showed it to the technician whom I were with to have the test drive. After reading and reproducing the problem, he quickly understood where the wrong was. Here I should express my special thanks to you as well as all the other MDX owners who had the THUD problem and contributed a lot talking about it in the TOWN HALL.

Oil change - I haven't thought about it yet. As I am a routine driver and will plan to have the first oil change around 7,500 miles. According to the manual, the first oil change should change the oil only and leave the oil filter there till the next change. Maybe you know it, just a reminder. Or correct me if wrong.
  • wsharpe496wsharpe496 Member Posts: 2
    This is a response to message # 1193 (mdxinfo).
    I am 497 at work but 496 at home...now, as for the running boards...I do not want them as they hinder clearance if you get in snow or go off road per chance. I do not want the bubble for the sunroof. I do wnat cargo cover, towing package (included in my price), and wood gearshift knob. I do want the mud flaps but have yet to see any with fender flares BUT I think that would look good as I have seen them on other SUVs...just don't know if ACURA offers those. The Emerald Green is definitely lighter than the black but the green is a dark green and looks SUPER with the tan interior. I know the green will show dirt but I don't think it will be as bad as black...I had a black car one time and hated it...it got dirty FAST and was HOT!

If I were to pick another color other than the green it would be the mahogany with tan interior...the GGreen is too blah for me, BUT it will not show dirt quickly.

One thing that bugs me about this MDX is that it is so hot that they get MSRP. They want $650 for a 36 month lease with 15k miles a year...on a $37500 MSRP. However, I could get a Nissan Pathfinder with an MSRP of $34700 for $400 for 36 months and 15k miles a year. Found out about it and went today just to test drive and compare...I would pay $5000 more for the MDX....the Pathfinder is just too small and rides like a truck...

The BMW X5 is nice but too expensive AND too small. No Lexus dealer here but I hear they are small too.

I am impressed with ACURA quality but I will pay a price for it...as they say "you get what you pay for." Just bugs me as I normally do not pay more than $500 over invoice as they are getting holdback anyway.

Good luck...I'll post how my deal goes.

TEDDY
  • quadguy1quadguy1 Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up my Mahogany MDX w/Navigation. What a nice experience. Nicest
    experience I've ever had with a dealer. Of course, paying MSRP probably helps! :-)
    But no last minute attempts at "larding" the vehicle with junk, and to get it in only
    2 1/2 weeks...I can't complain.

OK, as you would expect, I tried using the Navigation system going home from the
    dealer. The Navigation system did pick out the correct route, etc. However, I was also
    playing a CD (pretty loud) and found the Navigation voice pretty hard to hear. I set the
    volume for the Navigation system all the way to the top, but still found that I had
    to repeat the message once or twice to really be sure I understood what she said.
    If I turned the CD down, then it wasn't a problem. Is this typical? I would have thought
    that the music would be turned down to a preset level when the system is talking, but
    get the impression that instead the decrease in volume is relative to the current volume.
    Also, I have to say that the clarity of the woman's voice isn't the greatest. The CD sounds
    fine, so it's not like the speakers aren't working...

Well, OK. Just a question. Otherwise, I'm thrilled. What a joy to drive!
  • tony107tony107 Member Posts: 15
    Does any one know if MDX will ever hit the market in Europe and if yes, when?
    This Acura only in America deal is very confusing, can't Honda do like Toyota did with Lexus, intruduce Acura to the whole world.
  • bilmatbilmat Member Posts: 53
    If the sound from the radio/CD/cassette doesn't mute (turn down, not vanish) when the chime goes off telling you the Mystery Lady is about to speak, you've got a problem with the system.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that you were playing the CD soooooo loud that even with the Nov System muting the volume by 50 percent (or whatever it is) the volume still would be so loud that Ms. Smartie Pants would be difficult to hear or understand. Try playing the radio at a level most people with average hearing consider normal, then force Ms. Know-it-all to say something. If you still don't hear the radio mute when the chime sounds and words start pouring forth, then the system definitely has a glitch.
This discussion has been closed.