Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    kimwipeskimwipes Member Posts: 21
    Any recommendations for rubber/plastic mats that will fit nicely. I heard about husky liners.
  • Options
    arturitoarturito Member Posts: 16
    that makes two of us who have benefited from the sound info and advise found here- i was able to buy my rx at the at the right price with all the options we wanted even the color so again my thanks to all who helped make it happen i couln't be more pleased! arturito
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    My other car is a 2000 Alero and it does have a tire pressure monitor as standard equipment. It works on wheel rotation differences. Alero is a nice little car but it's no Rex.
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Not something that has been on the board in awhile, but I just wanted to thank all posters re tires for RX. I just replaced the OEM Badyear No-Integrity's on wife's '99 RX (not quite 30k, due for service) with Michelin CrossTerrains.

Incredible and immediate improvement!!!! Previously afflicted with the old "pull to the right" mentioned in a number of posts - GONE! Steering turnin much better. No longer feels as if it's rolling over on it's nose when turning.

Thanks again!!! Almost makes me want to drive her ride instead of my 01 GS430. But not quite.
  • Options
    ahuiahui Member Posts: 15
    Got a call from our salesperson yesterday. Said a RX just like ours (Silver, Navigation) which was scheduled to arrive after the one we ordered actually came in before it. So the wife and I are going to pick it up today after work. I will drive it before we complete all the paper work, but can anyone give me any tips as to what else I should be looking at or check before we sign the rest of our lives away? Thanks.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback on the tire change, it really helps the rest of us that haven't changed yet.

I'm still astounded that Lexus could put such garbage on a great vehicle. I guess the one upside is knowing that by simply changing the tires you get a great riding vehicle with even better handling!

Did you notice if road noise or ride was compromised with the cross-terrains?
  • Options
    ahui what excitement! i would suggest you take your time at the dealership and review the papperwork carefully have you arranged financing? at a minimum i would go in knowing the going interest rate for new car loan ( you can find it in the internet at bank rate monitor for example)and or the info necessary to determine the lease financing option ( you can actually compare the two at the lexus,com web site) if there is a trade in you should also know how much its worth im talking here from experience we took delivery of our rx march 15 i didn't verify the numbers before signing the papers and found a small error we are getting a refund but as you can imagine my mife wont let me forget it i also noticed a small vibration at about 55-60 mph fortnately it went away but the point is i didn'y pick it up because i didn't drive it at highway speeds before taking delivery i woould also suggest spending some time getting acquainted with the navigation system its really cool it brought me back home in va from fla without a glitch other than that enjoy bottomline is you can walk away, say no and hold on to your money till everything is right in addition to that youll get a survey form from lexus afterwarrds its like a report card and trust me its in their best interest to treat you rght good luck and welcome to the club maybe your wife will eve let you drive it once in a while
  • Options
    I heard rumours that there isn't a clearcoat on the black Rex? Anybody know? And why wouldn't they use a clearcoat, I thought every modern car came with one.
  • Options
    abiswasabiswas Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,

Seriously considering a Rex 01 but I have been reading some of the posts and many of you have been complaining about the NAV system. What exactly don't you like about it? It is exactly one of the nicest looking units on any car. Does it function properly when switching from heating/cooling controls to audio controls? It sounds like many of you are disatisfied with the layout of the NAV software.

I would really appreciate your input.

Also, if anyone has information on the possible upgrades to the 02 Rex or the revamped 03 Rex, it would be interesting to here.
    Thanks,

Abiswas
  • Options
    ...itself, it's actually one of the best systems (not perfect) on the market.

I think what folks are complaining about, including myself, are "logical ergonomics".

I'll give you a personal example: I'm 5'11" with long legs, my comfortable seating position places me a good distance from the center of the dash and out of arms reach. Anything doing with the center of the dash hence involves me taking my focus off of the high speed road in front of me. The longer my focus is diverted, the greater the danger.

Let's say you are in map mode cruising along. I want to hear some news on an AM radio preset. I have to:
    1) Push the black "AM" button on the Radio console
    2) Push the black Audio button on the buttons right below the screen
    3) Select the AM preset on the LCD touch screen (the most difficult manuever for me).

I've now gone through 3 steps and 3 different areas of the center console to get to a radio station. This is very dangerous at high speeds or heavy stop and go traffic.

What would make more sense is to simply push the "AM" or "FM" radio button (easy to reach) and every time you push it, it steps through your presets, and pops up a temporary display the same way the climate control does. Simple, huh?
  • Options
    robin007robin007 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone recently purchased a 01 Rx 300 from an SF bay area dealer? Would you share the price you got and recommend a dealer? I've been told they're willing to sell one close to the invoice price now.

Thanks.
    Robin
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Yes, your source was correct, no clearcoat on the black! I only learned after my saleslady switched from the Lexus dealership to Porsche. I visited and complained about the easily scratched paint, upon which she revealed the "secret". She said Lexus thought that the black paint was bright enough even without clearcoat ?!?!?!

Clearcoat-less Tarik
  • Options
    Great, no wonder the Rex gets swirls and spider webs easily. I've heard other makers of black cars do the same thing (leave the clearcoat off). Jeez, you're losing a level of protection.

Oh well, just have to wait for it to get warm enough to do a Zaino treatment.

BTW, like your muscle car Tarik. Looks like you have plenty of open road in the background picture ;-)
  • Options
    marphylousmarphylous Member Posts: 16
    I admit to being somewhat of an interloper, since I am actually a new (750 miles) Highlander owner. But aren't we are all in the same "family?"

My question is about the tires that came on the Highlander; Goodyear Integrity. I've seen some of the postings with negative comments, but after scrolling through several hundred postings, I did not find compelling evidence of problems. So far the Highlander seems to handle reasonably well for an SUV, although I've not pushed it hard. I have not experienced the problems described by mooretorque in #1307.

Should I really consider getting replacement tires?
  • Options
    Tonychrys, as far as noise is concerned, there may be some low speed harmonics in the form of a hum that weren't there before, but I ran the Goodfornothings to almost 30k and had almost no siping plus no shoulder pattern at all. At higher speeds (50+) around town, I think they may actually be quieter. Have only had it up to 80 for a short period (and NOT around town) the day they were mounted. Quieter at that speed and certainly more confidence-inspiring underfoot (wheel?). A little surprised since the Michs tread pattern is pretty trucky in appearance.

Ride-wise, actually seems more controlled without any increase in harshness. I think that the Godawfuls probably had way too much sidewall compliance but the Michelins have not seemed to cause any noticeable deterioration in ride; definitely increased accuracy and sensitivity in the steering.

Marphylous, indeed we are related, but I don't know enough about the Highlander to say that your suspension tuning is identical (same shocks, bushings, spring rates, etc) which can make a difference in handling. The Goodyears are a bargain basement tire tailored for passenger cars, replacement cost about $60 thru TireRack. While OK, more money buys more performance and the LexRX can certainly benefit from a better tire; no doubt the Highlander can, too.

As far as specific complaints, some posters have complained of their RX pulling to the right despite repeated alignments, fixes, bandaids, etc. And some HAVE been rectified by those things. My wife's
    '99 RX has been demonstrating this same behavior though there were no abnormal wear patterns on the tires and it was going to be addressed at her 30k service due this Friday. I installed the Michs beforehand to see if I could attribute any difference to the tire and, VOILA, no more pull. Now tracks straight, good sense of center, no more pull. I seem to recall that some other posters also had similar results with replacement.

Net is, seems like Lexus was trying to hit a price point (just guessing) and specified least cost, marginally satisfactory rubber initially. They now are offering a Bridgestone on the 01's, so evidently they've heard us all yowling. But you may want to live with them for awhile; hopefully you can find one on the lot with another tire for at least some comparison.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    One more thing: the RX with the Michelins now has better on center steering feel than my 01 GS430 on 235/45/17's!!!!

Don't think I'll try to get SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED to switch cars yet, but if Lexus would build an RX430..............

Yowza!!!
  • Options
    rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    Actually in Japan, Toyota does not have Lexus brand all Toyota car use "Toyota" brand. The RX300 in Japan is called Toyota Harrier.

Following is some of the major differences (not many)

1. Tyre 215/70-16
    2. E-shift available (similar to GS)
    3. Power seat on Driver seat only
    4. Low ground mirror installed on front fender
    5. Two engine size 3L-V6 and 2.2L-L4
    6. No DRL
    7. No subwoofer (a small storge bin is installed instead under the seat)
    8. A lot goody options

If you want to see the Harrier, please go to site GAZOO.com. This is Toyota web site. It has both Japanese and english version. Select the english version then go to Auto, Harrier. Enjoy it. Lot and lot of options that is not available in the US RX300.
  • Options
    Have you tried Ebay?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Not a republican or religious statement.

But I wonder....

Could the people talking about the RX pulling to the right be confused by the torque steering aspects of the RX?

I had a 2000 RX AWD and now I have a 2001, the only time I experience(d) any pulling to the right is when I am aggressive on the throttle, or even slightly aggressive in a turn. There is a very pronounced torque steer effect in these circumstances.

If you happened to move up to the RX from a rear wheel drive vehicle or a low torque front wheel drive you are likely not expecting this effect and thus it becomes much more noticeable.
  • Options
    Probably, I am especially "bummed", and therefore slightly more vocal about the nav shortcomings, because I had a 2000 RX AWD with the LCD. I upgraded to the 2001 primarily because of the HID, VSC, and TRAC. The Trac and VSC are standard on the 2001 and the way I read it they will make the vehicle act more like a true AWD.

I bought the Nav only because I wanted the HID, and the HID was not available as a standalone option. I considered the nav likely to be an asset so I did the deal.

Now I wish I had my LCD display back.

Based on my decision that the nav is a "liability", were I doing the whole thing again I would still upgrade to the 2001 (VSC, Trac.) but I would either buy an after-market HID kit, or even have Lexus convert it using their very expensive kit.

Now, I have benefitted from the use of the Nav, but on four occassions it has led me astray, all of these times were circumstances that I would clearly certify as software BUGS.

On two occassions when I punched in a destination address the system computed a route and off we went, only to discover at the end, or late in the route, that the system lacked full roadway coverage and automatically opted out, announced, that other than basic directional guidance I was now on my own. Obviously the system could have told me that at the beginning and I would have made other guidance arrangements (mapquest).

Yesterday on the way to Bellingham we had to detour from I5 because of congestion and when we were about 100 yards from rejoining I5 the system was still telling us to "do a legal u-turn". All of this time it had been almost continously re-computing and giving us new directions to return to I5, but now it had decided to take us someplace else, I know not where.

I canceled and re-entered the destination address and then everything was fine.

The fourth instance was a time I was using the guidance and it had worked fine for quite some distance and then we were on a roadbed traveling parallel to I5. The system suddenly started giving us (new) directions as if we were now on I5. Clearly a software bug and so far Lexus keeps claiming it was due to the "inaccuracy" of the GPS system. I would agree if I had started from "scratch" on the parallel roadbed, in that circumstance the GPS might not know exactly which roadbed we were on, but it was the Nav that had "steered" us there to begin with.

I would say that if you intend to only use the Nav within the URBAN bounderaries of a MAJOR US city, or only MAJOR thoroughfares (freeways) between these cities, then go for it, but then this is an SUV, not an LS430, we are talking about here.
  • Options
    It does sound a bit like foolishness to suggest that someone buy an after-market HID kit and not buy the optional Nav, which includes HID.

I'll try to explain..

When I fire up my RX, I get a warning on the Nav advising me, and FORCING me to agree (paraphrased) "to keep my eyes on the road and not on the Nav screen."

Then unless I actively turn off the display, something I always try to remember to do, it defaults into the moving map display mode. Actually I tend to turn off the display even when using the guidance system.

I am 60 years old, wear bifocals, but I had no problem seeing, reading, the 2000 LCD (liquid crystal display), it had good, definitive, contrast, and the lettering and "icon" were presented in a large enough font. If you have an RX Nav system compare the ease of reading the clock display with reading, comprehending, the Nav "letters", the non-nav LCD system is very close to the clock in contrast and font size.

With the 2001 Nav I first have to take some action to bring up the display that I am interested in at the moment, then I have to either "squint" my eyes or lean toward the display in order to read it, and only then do I have enough information to know how to take corrective action.

If I were Lexus I would make the default Nav display an exact "replica" of the non-nav LCD. Even when the Nav guidance is in use I would only bring it "up" if approaching a decision, turning point, intersection, point.

Since the display and system is fully programmable this configuration could be a user option, for those of us who are more into practicality and not GIMMICKITRY!

My statement about buying an after market HID was based on the practicality of the non-nav display versus the many shortcomings of the Nav.
  • Options
    You don't have to buy the Nav package to get HIDs. One of the popular U.S. packages on the '01 Rex is AWD/Value Package/Wood Steering/HID.

Before we got our Nav Rex we had the opportunity to buy a couple of vehicles configured as above.

Just a personal experience, YMMV.
  • Options
    johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    Reply to #975 - ruski
    Changing the filter sucks but after you've done it once it's not bad. I needed 2 types of wreches. The first is a cheap one that goes on the end of the filter where the surrations are. (cost about $0.98). The second one I really only needed the first time I changed the filter. It is a type that when you turn the wrench counter clockwise (loosen) it grabs the filter tighter and tighter untill it turns. This costs about $5.00. I got mine at Pep Brothers but I'm sure other stores carry it. This wrench can't be used for tighting.
    Once you have it loose, use your fingers to unscrew the rest of the way. Once off the threaded pipe let the filter turn in your fingers so the business end is pointing up or all the oil runs out. You might have to lower it down as far as you can and regrip it. It is a little tricky to get out past the manafold but it will go. You might want to take a dry run first with the new filter.
    Once you have screwed the the new filter in with your fingers you can tighten it with the el cheapo cap wrench. Remember, they should be HAND tight but you'll have to use the wrench as you can get only 2 fingers on it.
    The second time you change it you should be able to do it with just the end cap wrench.
    This sounds hard but it really isn't with the right wrenches. You'll also need a 4 inch socket extension. I understand that Lexus charges $70 bucks for a oil and filter change so the less than $10 for wrenches is well worth it.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    I don't remember much of the detail but Bellevue Lexus wouldn't discuss selling/ordering/locating anything but fully optioned RX's until the "sales landslide" abated. I don't think that has happened, even yet.
  • Options
    I guess it depends on your area and how the Rex's come configured.

Like I said, in the Northeast were I am I could have gotten the HID option without the Nav, without special ordering or trading.
  • Options
    batya11batya11 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying an RX300 but need to know if it will really drive through the snow. We live in the "snow belt" and occasionally get significant (1.5-2 feet or more) snowfalls and need to be able to get through before the plow arrives. How many inches of snow can it go through (AWD model)?
  • Options
    wwest, possibly some are mixing torque steer with pull. However, I owned 4 Hondas before buying my first Lex in 92. Yes, even the AWD RX will exhibit some slight torque steer to the right; the FWD loaners my dealer uses much more so. But my wife's car required constant wheel pressure to the left regardless of speed, acceleration or presence/absence of road crown.

Now with new Michs on, it does not. I looked carefully at the old Godalmightywhatcrapyears and could see no evidence of asymmetric wear, cupping or feathering.

So, I still don't have a good explanation for the phenomenon. But, at least for now, it's gone. If it reappears as the tires wear, I'll post. And hopefully, also a solution other than new rubber!

And next time, I'll use fewer commas........geez, I sure like that punctuation!
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I have a 99 RX 2WD (front wheel drive) with traction control. No problems whatever, and I live near Buffalo which is no stranger to snow. First non-4WD vehicle I have owned in decades and it performs admirably under winter conditions. As for the really deep stuff, I'm sure the AWD/4WD model would be even better as long as the undercarriage didn't get hung up, the ground clearance is only 7.7 in. with stock tires.

Pete
  • Options
    00rxguy100rxguy1 Member Posts: 38
    I dont' know if any of you guys recall the post i did last month regarding the dealer charging me $126 for an alignment that i felt i should not have been charged for. Well, i called the 800 number last month and spoke to some gal regarding my issue. Sure enough,last Tuesday the service manager called me and told me that he was going to give me credit back on the charge. I was so pleased with the results. Not only that, today i got a call from the gal that i spoke with from the customer satisfaction number and she had asked me if everything was fixed to my satisfaction. I was very very pleased. I must say that Lexus does try to go out of their way to make customers happy. I thought that that was just another gimmick that they use to lure customers into buying their car. I was wrong. i was treated like a customer. The way i should be treated. Just thought i would post my results of my complaint to Lexus.
  • Options
    melvinshmelvinsh Member Posts: 19
    Have you check out http://classifieds.excite.com/ . We have a RX300 listed there for sale and it's a 1999 model.
  • Options
    rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    When I wanted my black on black RX, my dealer checked his incoming cars and told me "no problem it will be here in two weeks" as they had none in stock. Sure enough, in two weeks the car arrived. Dealers know their incoming inventory/options, etc.
  • Options
    you may want to check out carday.com just saw 99 rx 300 for sale there i think you go to inventory and specify what you are looking for hope this helps good luck arturito
  • Options
    4424jm4424jm Member Posts: 25
    Bought my wifes rx about 2 months ago. Shopped 5 dealers in bay area and best price was at Magnussens in fremont. RX has no nav and no wood steering wheel but has chrome wheels and gold pkg. I paid 37053. Ask for Yulia very friendly and no high pressure.
  • Options
    How many inches of snow can an AWD RX get through?

None if these is an under-layment of black ice.

Not very much if it's Pacific Boiler-plate (that's the stuff we try to ski on here on the wet side of the cascades), and as much as two feet if it's totally dry powder!

But if you find that much dry powder snow let me know immediately and I will head your way with my skis strapped to the top of my AWD RX!
  • Options
    My advice would be to invest in a GOOD set of tire chains for the FRONT wheels as insurance in the event you run into circumstances wherein the RX can't "haul".

With our Jeeps I always carried a set in the wintertime and two if I was driving into an area with a high probability of encountering adverse road conditions. Saved my butt more than once and these were both RWD, AWD, 4WD mode Jeeps.

CAUTION is advised!

There is an OLD practice of lowering the tire pressure in order to achieve more traction in these conditions, but I can't say If there is really any truth to the matter. On the RX if one lowers the pressure on the front tires only, then there would likely be a gain in the all around consistency of torque distribution. More torque, greater than the latent 30%, would be delivered to the rear axle on a consistent basis.

The note of CAUTION is because if the vehicle is driven this way for an extended period the viscous clutch will overheat and could be damaged permanently.
  • Options
    ahuiahui Member Posts: 15
    My wife and I picked-up our new silver/navigation RX on Wednesday. It was a little awkward, because my trade-in was a 1983 Mercedes, but when they appraised it, they wrote it down as a 1993. So they wanted to reduce the trade value. I resisted at first, but when I looked at the sales contract, it was listed as a '93. Don't want to screw anyone over. So they gave me a discount on an extended warranty (isn't that funny I wind up paying even more money).

But we're happy that we got it. Very smooth and quiet. Don't really like the fact that I got Goodyears, but they're ok.
  • Options
    mkdwyermkdwyer Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering the purchase of a new 2001 RX300. I want the HID lights w/o the Nav, buy my local dealer says you can only get HID with Nav. I'm in the N. California. Is this true - HID only available w/ Nav?

Also, is the heated seat option available in this area? (would be nice for those winter ski trips).

Thx.
  • Options
    to mkdwyer:

Go back to post # 1325 and read forward
  • Options
    Ok, I'm a research nut and hate not knowing something... I finally found out what's up with the HID availability.

I went to the Lexus.com web site and tried building several different configurations, BUT using ZIP codes for both California and New York. This is the deciding factor.

What I found out it that the Rex's are coming into the country configured differently depending on which port/part of the country they are being shipped to. So I was partly wrong about the HIDs, you can or can't get them the way you want depending on what market you live in AND whether you want a 4WD or FWD model.

See for yourself, go configure a Silver/black Rex but use two ZIP codes, 90210 and 10024. You will get different option package configurations depending on which ZIP code you use and drivetrain (FWD or 4WD). I was surprised.

I hope this helps any future shoppers out there.
  • Options
    opdevopdev Member Posts: 1
    I got a lease quote for an RX300.

Silver with the Premuim Plus package, aluminum wheels, and HID.

$499 with about $1800 in bank, acq, reg, etc. This $499 includes massachusetts tax

The price of the vehicle was $37,601

Can anyone share lease costs so I can evaluate this price?

I did this all via the net and phoning sales manager directly. We started at $549 and when I went to hang up he popped back the $499.

I stil want to push him to $470
  • Options
    abiswasabiswas Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,

Just had a quick question regarding fog lamps. I am waiting for the delivery of 01 Rex and was wondering if the car came with fog lamps. The brochure says it comes with "integrated fog lamps" - what does that mean? I think the Jeep GC comes with a set of fog lamps on under the front bumper - it appears the Rex might have them as well, but I didn't get a good look.

If it doesn't come with fogs, is installing them separately difficult to do? I am interested in putting a set on - just wanted to know from someone out there that has done it themselves.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rxcurerxcure Member Posts: 33
    They are integrated into the front bumper as you suspected and work nicely.
  • Options
    spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    Lately I've read some road tests from various sources, all of them state that the Rx does not have great freeway passing power. I noticed that after I clocked about 3k miles the engine seemed to "loosen up". At that point not only did I start getting much better mileage, but got much improved acceleration at freeway speeds (70-85). Did anybody else notice this improvement in performance?
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    To be precisely, the fog lamps are not integrated into the front bumper, but right above the bumper, and right below the headlight.
  • Options
    mkdwyermkdwyer Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the body style of thr RX300 will change for 2002? I understand that production is being moved to Canada for 2002, which might also imply a styling change (?). I'm thinking of buying a 2001, but concerned that in 6 months, a new body comes out and my 2001 looks 'old'.
  • Options
    Please read through the posts, that's what they are here for. This has been discussed over and over.

Short answer: next redesign for U.S. models won't happen until at least MY2003, which means fall 2002.
  • Options
    gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    I finally got sick of looking at the trailer tires (Goodyears) on the RX.
    I bought a set of Michelin LTX M/S . I'll let you know how they do once they get mounted.
  • Options
    Cool news on the tires. Just curious, how did you choose between the LTXs and Cross Terrains?